@the-inkspiller
Active 3 years, 10 months ago-
Karthmin replied to the topic January 2019 Accountability in the forum Accountability & Achievements 7 years, 8 months ago
Ereki!
I am late. I am sorry. I am posting anyway.
State your goals, encourage one another through the week. Be awesome. 😀
+++
My goals:
– have an Erekdale group chat set up by the weekend
– write at least 1000 words by the end of the week
– read three chapters in a self-improvement book (7 Habits of Highly Effective…[Read more]
-
Karthmin started the topic Guild Positions in the forum Announcements 7 years, 8 months ago
Fellow Ereki!
I really liked the suggestion that we create further subdivisions and positions that we can all have within Erekdale. I think it’s a fun way to diversify and make our specific skills/interests known.
So this thread is devoted to working all of that out!
If there is a specific part of the guild activities that really stick out to…[Read more]
-
Karthmin started the topic Video Calls in the forum Announcements 7 years, 8 months ago
My dear Ereki,
We do have the thumbs up to put together a guild video call. (*dignified grin*)
So. Rather than complete mayhem, I thought maybe we could come up with some kind of agenda for these calls.
I think for the first one, it would make the most sense to just chat, introduce ourselves and get to know each other. And if that proves to be…[Read more]
-
Karthmin started the topic LIVE CHAT! in the forum Announcements 7 years, 8 months ago
Ereki one and all!
I got a green light just yesterday to go ahead and give this a shot! Because we are going outside of the Story Embers forum to do this, keep in mind that this isn’t endorsed, or monitored by anyone from the Story Embers staff. It’s a bunch of friends trying to create a stronger community, basically, and that’s just about it.…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston posted a new activity comment 7 years, 8 months ago
@the-inkspiller I wish I knew some players who’d be willing to play anything other than D&D =P Also, I hope you don’t mind me sending all the cool RPG design stuff I find to you. Here’s a theory article I liked: https://vsca.blog/2019/01/11/a-new-menu-for-players/
-
Taylor Clogston posted a new activity comment 7 years, 8 months ago
@the-inkspiller Is all good! I figured it was something like that.
Shadowrun is a weird game that uses a dumb number of dice. I particularly like dice pools as a replacement for a single linear roll for that sweet bell curve, but count successes with a relatively low number of dice is really fun and works well.
At least at lower levels (I never…[Read more]
-
@taylorclogston
I can see and agree with a lot of what you say about D&D. I guess I’ve just never experienced an RPG system with mechanics focused on resolving the story directly, instead of through physical or social challenges.I too prefer more consistent dice rolls. That’s partly why I’m writing Six Feet Deep as a d6 dependent system and…[Read more]
-
@the-inkspiller I wish I knew some players who’d be willing to play anything other than D&D =P Also, I hope you don’t mind me sending all the cool RPG design stuff I find to you. Here’s a theory article I liked: https://vsca.blog/2019/01/11/a-new-menu-for-players/
-
@taylorclogston, That’s an interesting article, though I wonder as a game designer how to create a system which encourages a more varied mindset than throwing dice at the problem until the RNG solves it – and how to specifically reward good planning even when the dice do not favor the players.
-
-
Karthmin replied to the topic Weekly Wonderings in the forum Erekdale Writing Discussions 7 years, 8 months ago
I honestly wish there was a like button for some of these reactions. Loved them all so much.
New week, new question. This one is going to get a little philosophical.
If you can prevent someone from feeling/experiencing sorrow/pain, either by removing it entirely, or by experiencing it on their behalf, would you do so?
Second part of the…[Read more]
-
Karthmin started the topic CD Week 12: external goal {discussion} in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 8 months ago
*ushers you all into dusty, moth-ridden discussion hall; books are scattered, some open, others in stacks, next to various armchairs and benches and giant cushions scattered around the floor*
We’re going to do our best to undust this place this week, and drive the moths away. This week, we will be jumping back into our discussion pretty much…[Read more]
-
Karthmin started the topic January 2019 Accountability in the forum Accountability & Achievements 7 years, 8 months ago
Ereki!
I am making a regrettably late appearance. But I am appearing. So we can all be thankful for that, right? Er, well, most of us, anyway. 😛
Suffice it to say that this is the first ‘normal’ accountability thread that we’ve got going on this year, so let’s start it off with grandiose, amazing, impossible-to-achieve goals, shall we?!
On the…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
@the-inkspiller Hey Jonathan! One of my biggest interests is tabletop RPG design. Can you give me some information on Darklore Publishing? What sorts of games are you publishing?
-
@taylorclogston, Glad to see someone interested! So, we’re a start-up based in Clearwater, FL, and our flagship title is a d20 based RPG, “Demons and Saints,” which is set on modern-day Earth in the midst of a secret war amongst factions of demons escaped from Hell. Two major power blocs are formed – one focused on trying to earn their way back…[Read more]
-
@taylorclogston, I was reading your website and I noticed this phrase:
“Additionally, I’d **prefer to** steamy (or raunchier) writing, and stories with particularly heavy profanity. We can discuss this on an individual basis.”
Was this a typo? It seems like an element of the sentence is missing. Did you mean that you prefer cleaner stuff to s…[Read more]-
Thanks for catching that typo on my web site! It now includes the word “avoid,” as I intended. And thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Your game sounds right up my alley! Is the combat XCOM-like? That’s one of my favorite franchises. When are you planning on releasing, and do you have a web site? A brief search didn’t show me anything…[Read more]
-
We should release around May 1st; our website is still under construction, but it’s nearing completion. As for the combat, the core rule book is a more traditional D&D-like d20 based system, but I am working on gameplay supplements for managing tactical combat with teams of NPC soldiers, along with the strategic side of research, personnel…[Read more]
-
-
You’ve got great worldbuilding in everything you mentioned! Six Feet Deep in particular is something I’d love to play. It seems like you enjoy using a d20 linear core mechanic. Is there any reason for that? I prefer using dice pools for counted degrees of success or for bell curves. I love the idea that you have tactile resources to move around in…[Read more]
-
@taylorclogston, Sorry I didn’t reply for so long! I didn’t realize you had sent a message – it didn’t show up some how.
My preference for linear core is that it’s simple and it keeps the number of dice being rolled from becoming overwhelming, as is the case with Shadowrun. My experience with dice pools when playing that was that consistent…[Read more]
-
-
@the-inkspiller Is all good! I figured it was something like that.
Shadowrun is a weird game that uses a dumb number of dice. I particularly like dice pools as a replacement for a single linear roll for that sweet bell curve, but count successes with a relatively low number of dice is really fun and works well.
At least at lower levels (I never…[Read more]
-
@taylorclogston
I can see and agree with a lot of what you say about D&D. I guess I’ve just never experienced an RPG system with mechanics focused on resolving the story directly, instead of through physical or social challenges.I too prefer more consistent dice rolls. That’s partly why I’m writing Six Feet Deep as a d6 dependent system and…[Read more]
-
@the-inkspiller I wish I knew some players who’d be willing to play anything other than D&D =P Also, I hope you don’t mind me sending all the cool RPG design stuff I find to you. Here’s a theory article I liked: https://vsca.blog/2019/01/11/a-new-menu-for-players/
-
@taylorclogston, That’s an interesting article, though I wonder as a game designer how to create a system which encourages a more varied mindset than throwing dice at the problem until the RNG solves it – and how to specifically reward good planning even when the dice do not favor the players.
-
-
@taylorclogston, Hey, I know it’s been forever – how’s it going? Whatchu been up to lately?
-
I’m afraid I’ve been up to a lot of nothing at all. Pretty much just work, trying to not hate everything that goes into writing and being an author, and trying to figure out if there’s a single job out there I think I could bear giving every fragment of my attention to for eight or more hours a day.
How’ve you been?
-
Yeah – work work work. I’m struggling with maintaining my enthusiasm and creativity in the RPG editing, which grows more and more onerous – and I grow more and more deficient. 😐
Also working on my own stories and trying to pitch in more at Story Embers, which I suck at. Trying to finish some more of my stories so Northerner can go and critique me…[Read more] -
That sucks to hear. What exactly does RPG editing involve, and why do you think you’re deficient at it?
-
-
-
Karthmin replied to the topic Weekly Wonderings in the forum Erekdale Writing Discussions 7 years, 9 months ago
@lady-frosttongue I love it! Wolves are such cool animals. Oooooh, and the black ones are just so mysterious.
@devastate-lasting *laughs* I love this argument.
@catwing *blinks* WOW. You, like, created an entire story world. It’s great XD
@hope-ann What a violent ant you are. I suppose I didn’t rule out bloody and disturbing threats, but…[Read more]
-
Michelle replied to the topic January 2019 Hopes and Dreams in the forum Accountability & Achievements 7 years, 9 months ago
**blinks**
**sees 2019 on the calendar**
Wow. 2018 disappeared quickly, and left a lot of lessons in its wake. All of which I am very grateful for, and the holidays are always a bit chaotic for us since “no” doesn’t seem to be a word we know how to use in this house…
**Makes note to get better at that**
Anyway….Because I started December…[Read more]
-
Karthmin started the topic January 2019 Hopes and Dreams in the forum Accountability & Achievements 7 years, 9 months ago
Hello Ereki! Welcome back after our refreshing holiday break! *looks around at a sea of faces that have clearly been fed by many cookies; checks pocket mirror, grimaces*
Humbug. About time for some goals, I say. XD
Just kidding! I trust you all had a wonderful Christmas celebration (of whatever kind that your family does) and that you’ve become…[Read more]
-
Karthmin started the topic Guild Improvement Ideas in the forum Announcements 7 years, 9 months ago
*solemnly enters the guild hall*
Erekdale! A new year is upon us! I don’t know why I entered solemnly, because there’s not really any reason to. Unless we are supposed to be sad that a year is over and done. But hey, there’s always another year to take it’s place!
Which means a couple hundred days that we get to spend together in this little…[Read more]
-
WarrenLuther04 started the topic December Critique in the forum Critiques 7 years, 9 months ago
Hello everyone!
For my December critique piece, I’d like to present the second chapter of my current WIP!
Before I forget, here’s the link: Chapter 2 WIP
Please look for:
– Character Development: Am I still describing my characters well?
– Show Don’t Tell: Yeah… I’ve had trouble with that before….
– Setting/Worldbuilding: Is the setting…[Read more]
-
Selah Chelyah started the topic A Matter of Life and Death… in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 9 months ago
@ethryndal @bama-rose @raemarie @corissa @kate @r-m-archer @literatureforthelight @j-parkhurst @gabbyj @cassandraia @chalice @noahlitle @julianne @germaine-han @maddiejay @sesi @r-j-karas @rosemarylouise @msqueen8 @samuel @eden-anderson @professorsjb @elizabeth @scarletimmortalized @parker @katthewriter @Sarah-Inkdragon
@Devastate-Lasting
@Sageinthemeadow
@ENU
@The-Inkspiller…[Read more]-
Aaaaaaand I just realized that I accidentally tagged myself. Whoops. 😛 Merry Christmas!
-
Happy Christmas to you and everyone else, too!
-
Thanks, @warrenluther04! And Merry Christmas to you all as well! 😉 😉 😀
-
@warrenltuher04 Just saw this now. 😉 Merry Christmas to you too!
-
Merry (late) Christmas everyone! 😀
-
Merry late late Christmas! :3
-
@devastate-lasting @filewriter @jenwriter17 @ajaj2000 @catwing
Hope you all had a great Christmas! 😀
-
-
-
Karthmin replied to the topic Prompt War: dream sequence in the forum Announcements 7 years, 9 months ago
The results are in!
The judge has judged, the pronouncements pronounced, and the placements placed.
We…
…got another honorable mention! And once again, one of the reasons why we didn’t outright win is because we did a bit of a twist on the dream sequence genre (see the judge’s feedback in the doc attached below). Go figure. Another t…[Read more]
-
Karthmin replied to the topic December 2018 Accountability in the forum Accountability & Achievements 7 years, 9 months ago
@devastate-lasting Fair enough 😀 Cute babies on the plane are definitely a worthy excuse.
You’ve got a set of excellent goal, too.
@sageinthemeadow Thank you! This week has been better already, and I don’t have to wake up quiiiiite as early. 5:30 for the past few days.
I’m so glad to hear that you got writing done last week! More power to you!…[Read more] - Load More












