-
Candide replied to the topic Short story in need of critics in the forum Critiques 6 years, 12 months ago
Thanks, @quinn-ofallon!
About L., I’m not sure if anyone would go on asking the way he does (in the middle of the text, in fatc).
-
Chelsea R.H. replied to the topic Sci-Fi Serial Story Seeking Readers in the forum General Writing Discussions 6 years, 12 months ago
I’m really sorry! I keep meaning to read your story (the little email comes up in my inbox every Friday morning :D) but my involvement in blogs has just been so down lately (study, work, writing…it’s endless, my friend)
I’ll do my best to check it out as soon as I get a few spare moments.
-
Warden replied to the topic NEW ACTIVITY: Mini Prompt War & Critiques in the forum Rillumen’s Writing Discussions 7 years ago
@graceabounds2129, cool prompt! Your calendar shows another prompt immediately three days after, but I thought we were doing this only every other week. I’m in for this first one.
Who else is…[Read more]
-
Lynn Renard replied to the topic What's Your Story World? in the forum Rillumen’s Writing Discussions 7 years ago
I’m back home now! Actually, I was back Sunday, but life has been busy. But all’s well in my neighborhood concerning the hurricane! Thank you for your prayers! <3
@quinn-ofallon – Your Moonwatcher world sounds so mystical! You must have had a lot of fun playing around with the worldbuilding; I’d love to vacation there!
@corkybookworm – Yes, selk…[Read more]
-
Coralie replied to the topic What's Your Story World? in the forum Rillumen’s Writing Discussions 7 years ago
@quinn-ofallon The sea is…there are no words for my love of the sea. Truly. Definitely needs exploration! YAS!!!! <3 That’s the best way to do it! XD
-
Coralie replied to the topic What's Your Story World? in the forum Rillumen’s Writing Discussions 7 years ago
@quinn-ofallon These are epic questions. You are awesome!!
Moonwatchers just sounds awesome. I love that title! I’ll have to go check the critique board for this!! Ancient mountains and secret passageways? Yes, please! Sounds like you’ve got a lot put into this world. My sister was just recently asking me about the fantasy/sci-fi cross the other…[Read more]
-
Lynn Renard replied to the topic What's Your Story World? in the forum Rillumen’s Writing Discussions 7 years ago
*waves* Sorry I’m not around much, but I appreciate getting tagged once in a while to remind me to rejoin the conversation. n_n; And these are some interesting world-building questions! Too bad I can’t answer them quickly except by the cop-out answer, “It depends.” xD But so far, I’ve used both dogs and cats as pets for my characters, and another…[Read more]
-
JennytheFaun replied to the topic You've read that too! in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years ago
@quinn-ofallon @toklaham-veruzia Indeed! (I like the City of Ember movie too. It’s one of the few book-to-movie adaptations I heartily approve of.)
-
Buddy J. started the topic Is there a war of some sort going on? in the forum Announcements 7 years, 1 month ago
Hey there! I’m not technically here… oh well. I was just heard there’s a war going on, and wanted to cheer you…[Read more]
-
Warden replied to the topic You've read that too! in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 1 month ago
@quinn-ofallon, Yes it is from Fawkes.
@kayla-skywriter, you got those two correct.
Has no one read Dandelion Fire (N.D. Wilson) or Deception (Randy Alcorn)? Those were my first and third respectively.
-
Anne of Lothlorien replied to the topic You've read that too! in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 1 month ago
@quinn-ofallon WINGFEATHER SAGA! Specifically On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, said by Armulen the Bard as he is standing on a cart about to begin his singing for the Dragon Day Festival in the town of Glipwood.
@literatureforthelight Your first one is The Book Thief!
-
Lynn Renard replied to the topic Story Blurb in the forum Critiques 7 years, 1 month ago
@corkybookworm Yes, I am feeling better, thanks! =D And no, those “how” questions are exactly the type of thing I recommend! @quinn-ofallon Asking “how” tells the audience the focus is on the journey. It implies, “You may think you know where this is going to end up, and you might be right, but how Roshni gets to that end is important!”
-
Coralie replied to the topic Story Blurb in the forum Critiques 7 years, 1 month ago
@missfaeriekaiti Oh no! I hope you’re feeling better!!
@quinn-ofallon Ooh, Lynn makes a good point with that last line. I personally loved it cause it was exciting and drew me in, but perhaps you might consider something more open-ended that still has the same strong sway? Maybe like “But when everyone you trust is a liar, how can you find the…[Read more]
-
Coralie replied to the topic Slippery Syntax in the forum Rillumen’s Writing Discussions 7 years, 1 month ago
@quinn-ofallon Great suggestions! I kind of rotate between the sub-verb; clause, sub-verb; sub-verb, clause. Your suggested beginnings are all great! I use a lot of those, too. Thanks so much for sharing them!
@missfaeriekaiti Wow! What great examples! I struggle with the deep first/third perspectives, so these really help!! Starting sentences…[Read more]
-
Lynn Renard replied to the topic Slippery Syntax in the forum Rillumen’s Writing Discussions 7 years, 2 months ago
I echo @quinn-ofallon . First person perspective is the one I use most often, and it’s a pet peeve of my own writing when I see that I have two or more short paragraphs beginning with the same letter, especially if it’s “I.” xD So I start with a participle, as Quinn mentioned. Or I start with a conjunction if I’m not worried about sentence…[Read more]
-
Coralie started the topic Slippery Syntax in the forum Rillumen’s Writing Discussions 7 years, 2 months ago
Okay, guys! Time for a discussion!
Recently, I’ve been juggling a novella challenge and the 100 for 100 challenge. I kind of left the novella challenge by the wayside, but not before writing around 23,000 words for one draft and 4-5 for another in a different pov. I also thought this would be a good chance to try my hand at first person, since my…[Read more]
-
Veraza Winterknight replied to the topic Novellas or Serial Story? in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 2 months ago
Ah. If you’re trying to build an audience, then definitely do that! If you have other forms of social media, you can advertise that you’ll post them on your blog there, too. And that’d probably be helpful for building a platform. (I think, I have neither audience nor platform and haven’t tried to gain either, so…)
-
Veraza Winterknight replied to the topic Novellas or Serial Story? in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 2 months ago
From what I’ve been told, 50-60k words is actually a novel, but I might be wrong. Anyways, that aside, what would be the pros and cons of self-publishing them and posting them on your blog? You’ve probably already reviewed that, but just to make sure. 🙂 Maybe you could even do something completely different, keep them as they are,…[Read more]
-
Joseph Brink replied to the topic Prompt war! in the forum Announcements 7 years, 3 months ago
We need more people to help out! Come on and critique the story @graceabounds2129 wrote.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18KxRINR2GZzW-dxt13ZhBRzAR6WiCDCmuM8XBul0XUk/edit?usp=sharing
“Illuminate the…[Read more]
-
Brandon Miller replied to the topic Character Lounge: Going Down in the forum Character Lounge 7 years, 3 months ago
(Oh hey, look who forgot to tag everybody)
@missfaeriekaiti
@happyholly_c
@corkybookworm
@quinn-ofallon
@kayla-joy
@nuetrobolt
@pookiemonster
@inkling-for-christ
@sir-leeds
@rolena-hatfield
@grace-tolkienista
@graceabounds2129
@wordsmith
@brie-donning
@cassidy
@bill-of-the-hill
@silverdragon
@therealameliahoch
@e_elaine_soup5
@emma-starrName:…[Read more]
- Load More












