fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 965 total)
  • Author
    Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@jasmine

Oh yeah!!! If all my characters were to act like me in real life, the plot would go absolutely nowhere. I would probably be the one flinging myself in front of the wardrobe leading to Narnia and screaming at my sibs that its a terrible idea and “you know what happens when foolish kids do this!!! SO NOOOO!!!!”

Oh, and I like how Gwen found her satchel — that was really a creative idea! Maybe throughout their journey our characters could find random objects laying around . . .

I like the trap idea! Maybe we could all take turns making traps. I also like the idea of them being high-up somewhere. stairs or some kind of elevated platform maybe.

Great idea! I’d better start brainstorming my trap . . .

@joelle-stone

Ok, first things first: how do you remember dreams so well (awesome dream, btw, lets totally do it!)??? You’re like my sis! She can narrate back to me all that happened to her in dream-world during the night! Me, I can usually only remember one detail, and none of my dreams are really good for this, unless we turn all our characters into ducks who can’t fly, babies sitting in pans of oatmeal, or have them go play in a large pool with Curious George and big purple hippos.

Second: YAY! You’ve watched the Mandalorian!!! One of my all-time favorite shows, period. They’d better get The Book of Boba Fett over with so we can get a season three!!! Also, I actually like the idea of including that giant named Gideon, he he. That’d be fun.

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Her messed bangs dangled over her brows making her smudged eye-shadow look like bruising. To him she looked enchanted like a warrior queen under the spell of a battle-scarred soldier. I LOVE that description! That’s basically exactly how I imagined her!

Thanks!

“nice people are kind cos they can’t be anything else they’re addicted to pleasing people.” WOW. Just, wow. I had to read that a couple of times, that’s so good!

Oh yeah I remember getting my skull knocked out with that one the first time I heard the idea, it’s not really mine XD. I can’t remember where exactly I heard it but it was definitely a wake-up. I still struggle to be a good person instead of a nice person, I started out practicing asking for stupid stuff to get over my terror of being rejected and now I’m working on sharing my own opinions more without worrying about how people will react which of course brought me to that

“In the real world broken people hurt you, good or bad doesn’t matter, idiota, I’ll hurt you.” “Rosy…” Ehud squeezed his hands together in front of him, staring up at her pathetically “everybody’s gonna hurt you a bunch if ya let them in. It’s just a matter of who’s worth hurting for, who actually cares whether they hurt you or not. That’s what makes a good person; whether or not they really care.”

And it sorta makes suffering make more sense, like God’s trying to share some of His Experience with you like how you’ll only admit the really painful stuff to a very close friend or someone you really care about.

*Bounces excitedly* EEeee! They’re so CUTE! I LOVED that post! Great job!

Aw thanks! I love the friction with Liorah and her brother, btw, they’re contrast really develops her character and how deeply the pressure to be all proper and ladylike really causes internal conflict.

Hmm, well, going off of what I know about her . . . I would make her forgive herself, and realize that we are all bad, and the only way we can be quote-and-quote “good” is to do our best to do right, which is only possible with God. I’d have her stop hiding her darkness and get it out. She would also live with Ehud and whatever other friends they have in a peaceful world where pink-glow-in-the-dark-unicorns light up all the rooms

Yeah, that about sums it up except the unicorns lol 😛 but if I hurry the process it’ll just be too unrealistic and bland like immediately having Ehud and Rosario finally kiss instead of dangling it around like a treat you can’t quite reach yet.

LOL, thank you! And I loved your post as well! That part about good and bad people was really interesting and thought-provoking. Also, I could totally relate to flapping my arms with my hands still inside my pockets I love it when writers include realistic bits like that!

Oh thanks a bunch! I love watching people’s mannerisms it’s just so fun

Lol. When I read ‘Ehud’s emotional-counselor-obstinacy’ reply to Gwendolyn’s demand, I had no idea how she would react. Then I started writing out her thought process and it kinda just popped up on the screen. That happens a lot for me.   I think it’s  cool how writing Ehud comes more naturally than other characters. Usually when I write I feel like I’m just writing what I would do or how I would feel (of course my feeling are wrong, because I know if I saw any of the monsters from the mirror I would scream and run for my life). I think you do a very good job of giving your characters different personalities.

Yeah when I write I feel I’m just writing different aspects of myself I need to explore. With Ehud I do more what I want to do/feel than what I struggle with. Thanks! And I love contrasting Gwen with your fox from earlier btw!

Ooh! *waves hand* I do!! I had this really crazy (and actually really fun) dream a few nights ago where I was walking down this INCREDIBLY long spiral staircase, and for every stair, there was an archway. (The stairway is in like a pit or something so the openings are across a large gap, set in the stone wall). Once I managed to throw something or something into one of the doorways, and I had to fight a beast (ha ha, sound familiar?). From then on I “knew” in that funny way you do in dreams that every doorway was a trap. Long story short, once I reached the bottom, the biggest doorway ever awaited me. (BTW, the openings got bigger, and thus more challenging if you sprang the trap, the farther down you went.) I *cough cough* foolishly daringly *cough cough* sprang the last trap, fought my way out, and opened the door at the bottom. Then there was this giant (like 60 ft tall) humanoid thing made out of red metal (have any of you seen the Madalorian? Mando’s first armor is basically what this thing was) and we became friends and I named him Gideon and he helped me to escape another bad situation later on in the dream and he was the keeper of the door that led outside and we can skip him. Anyway, assuming all that made sense, we could do something like that, where we have lots of traps so if we “stray off the knife’s edge” as Galadriel might say we’ll get into big trouble. A really long stair, either up or down, might be cool too. Just an idea.

Lol ikr! Those dreams are sooo fun! In dreams I always “know” I’m dreaming and I be like; I’m just here for the crash and I do what I want in dreamworld.
    I like the bigger and bigger openings let’s try to lead them up long spiral staircases idk why but like different levels going up with bigger and bigger “bosses” oh and we could have like a magical guide or something. Let’s open up the next passage to the huge pit and it’ll have a long thin spiral staircase (which might give epic fight choreography trying to balance while defending). We could even have a giant statue of Gideon in the middle with the staircase spiraling around him but he’s completely inactive until cue whatever next bad idea.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby

LOL! And yes! Danny is a bit on the vain side of life, XD And btw, I love your post about Liorah!

Thank you so much! I just want to clarify real quick, that Dancrow doesn’t necessarily have to dislike her (I don’t know how quick he is to judge people.) That was mostly Liorah’s perception/”shark music”, so she would instinctively view it that way, even if he didn’t mean it to be anything of the kind. I love that first-person narration is always a bit unreliable. Liorah often jumps to conclusions, so that makes it much easier to hide plot twists while still foreshadowing. Liorah will often dismiss things that are actually really important because it doesn’t fit what she wants to believe.

There it was again. The familiar look of dislike.
    Those two sentences really stood out to me, as did the part about folks not getting to know her too much before they were disappointed. Thought-provoking!

Yeah, Liorah does this thing where she’s afraid of being rejected so she sort of self-sabotages. She’s like thinking “if I expect rejection, I don’t get hurt.” I think this falls into the category of characters struggling with the same stuff as you XD

Oh yeah!!! If all my characters were to act like me in real life, the plot would go absolutely nowhere. I would probably be the one flinging myself in front of the wardrobe leading to Narnia and screaming at my sibs that its a terrible idea and “you know what happens when foolish kids do this!!! SO NOOOO!!!!”

LOL!! SAME! I have only two characters with any sense of self-preservation. Acyn, and Faye, my other MC  (The second book has a dual POV, Faye and Liorah). Acyn is a very analytical/logical person so his reaction to every idea Liorah has is something like: “A battle? Are you kidding me?! NO. We’re going to die. Or more specifically, you’re going to die, because I’m not coming.”

And Faye has a similar reaction as you, Joelle! When she gets scared/startled, her reaction is basically: Scream, try running away, then throw something. (Preferably heavy.) I have a scene where she gets cornered and her first instinct is taking off her shoes and hurling them.XD It’s funny that it actually works XD

Me, I can usually only remember one detail, and none of my dreams are really good for this, unless we turn all our characters into ducks who can’t fly, babies sitting in pans of oatmeal, or have them go play in a large pool with Curious George and big purple hippos.

LOL! That’s hilarious! I love the ‘dream-discussion’ we’re having! I never remember my dreams either, but they’re usually of the ‘I need to get somewhere but I’m not getting ahead’ variety. Or stupid nightmares about failing Chemistry and stuff like that XD The only thing I remember pretty clearly is that my dreams usually take place in the same place. I have the layout of the dream-city memorized, and almost all my dreams are there? It’s really weird XD

@joelle-stone

we could do something like that, where we have lots of traps so if we “stray off the knife’s edge” as Galadriel might say we’ll get into big trouble. A really long stair, either up or down, might be cool too.   Just an idea.

YESSS!! That’s genius!

@this-is-not-an-alien

I like the bigger and bigger openings let’s try to lead them up long spiral staircases idk why but like different levels going up with bigger and bigger “bosses” oh and we could have like a magical guide or something. Let’s open up the next passage to the huge pit and it’ll have a long thin spiral staircase (which might give epic fight choreography trying to balance while defending). We could even have a giant statue of Gideon in the middle with the staircase spiraling around him but he’s completely inactive until cue whatever next bad idea.

Let’s do that! Y’all are brilliant!

*Bounces excitedly again* This is going to be so cool! Liorah hates/is afraid of heights, so this will be great!

Yeah, that about sums it up except the unicorns lol   but if I hurry the process it’ll just be too unrealistic and bland like immediately having Ehud and Rosario finally kiss instead of dangling it around like a treat you can’t quite reach yet.

Include the unicorns!! Ehud deserves unicorns! Also, I totally understand what you mean, I love it when you want something so badly for a character and it’s just out of reach!

Oh yeah I remember getting my skull knocked out with that one the first time I heard the idea, it’s not really mine XD. I can’t remember where exactly I heard it but it was definitely a wake-up. I still struggle to be a good person instead of a nice person, I started out practicing asking for stupid stuff to get over my terror of being rejected and now I’m working on sharing my own opinions more without worrying about how people will react which of course brought me to that

That’s so amazing! I understand that, it’s one of the things I struggle with too.

and it sorta makes suffering make more sense, like God’s trying to share some of His Experience with you like how you’ll only admit the really painful stuff to a very close friend or someone you really care about.

That’s SUCH a great way to look at it! I’ve never thought about it that way before, it’s amazing!

Aw thanks! I love the friction with Liorah and her brother, btw, they’re contrast really develops her character and how deeply the pressure to be all proper and ladylike really causes internal conflict.

Thank you so much! Y’all are kind of seeing the tenser side of their relationship. It’s usually more prominent when they’re alone together with strangers. I kind of love the undercurrent of jealousy/ rivalry. (from Liorah’s side, even though she doesn’t consciously know it and would never admit it.) It’s something I discovered pretty recently, but it makes sense.

I also figured out that Gavril is a foil for Liorah. He kind of shows what everyone thinks Liorah should be like. It’s kind of hard to show that in this setting, it’s easier in their family setting. In that case, their relationship is definitely different. Liorah experiences the pressure to be ‘princessly’ and ladylike from her Mother. (Note: This comes back to Liorah’s perception. It isn’t entirely reliable.) And since she’s a naturally rebellious/stubborn person, that gives a LOT of conflict. In their tribe, and outside of it, Liorah is kind of seen as “Gavril’s sister.” She really, really hates that. Interestingly enough, Gavril is the only person who doesn’t expect her to be different, so they’re definitely closer than they seem right now.

Okay, sorry for the infodump! My characters’ psychology is something I could rant about for a really long time. Psychology in general XD

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@this-is-not-an-alien,

Ooh, great idea!! Let’s totally do that (and maybe Sprinkles comes to life and acts as their guide? Crazy idea, but it might make Ehud so happy that he could blame Sprinkles for stuff and he actually might be able to prove it, lol)!!

@rose-colored-fancy

Honestly, I love the topic of dreams. I tend to remember my dreams pretty well and also *cough cough* try to relive them on a regular occasion. That’s interesting that you always have your dreams in the same place, though!! That would be really cool. Mine normally happen in real life spots, or, if not, then I already “know” where I need to be.

Can you change what happens in your dreams? I can, and my dad can, but my mom can’t and she thinks is so crazy that we have any control. XD

Also, another weird question, but can you escape dreams? Like, if you ahve a nightmare, can you force yourself out of it? Once again, I can, and my dad can, but my mom can’t and she thinks its crazy that we can get out. What’s really funny is that my dad and I do it the exact same way. XD

Last part, then I promise I’m done with this splurge about dreams. 😛 I’ve heard of so many people having nightmares about failing school subjects and stuff like that, but I’ve never had one like that. I’m homeschooled, and our grades don’t really earn us rewards or anything like that, so they’re not that scary to me. When I have nightmares, they’re normally about me dying or walking around in a really dark creepy place with creepy voices floating out of the walls but I CAN’T SEE WHOEVER IS GOING TO ATTACK ME SO IT’S SO SCARY. Actually, my nightmares normally come in parts, which is odd. I’ll have like four nightmares that continue from where I left off last time, and then it all leads up to the climax where either I die or I defeat the villain. (I had a really long series about Gollum that I won’t bore you with, lol).

Okay, sry for that. Like I (think I) said, dreams are some of my favorite things to discuss. 🙂

And yay, I’m glad my reactions could be proof for you. XD They finally got me somewhere in life. 😛

And I love reading about characters, so feel free to infodump anytime. I mean, this is a place for development, and I find that the more I talk about something the more of a chance I have of stumbling upon a new fact. 😉

@wingiby-iggiby

First: Um, yeah, I’ve always remembered most of my dreams, lol. When I wake up I normally try to piece them back together, and then, depending on how awesome and/or horrible the dream was, I’ll remember it from a week up to my whole life. XD

And I have a sibling who has dreams like yours! They’re always weird, and he/she can’t ever remember them except for the weird parts. XD

Second: I LOVE the Mandalorian!! Kaleia (IDK if you remember her from the Flabbit Room) and I watched the first season + Rogue One + Solo in one sitting, not counting a few breaks. (I added it up and I think it was, like, 8 hours of movies. 0_0 Never doing that again, lol!) We watched the second season not to long ago. 😀 Who is your favorite character? Mine’s probably Mando.

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

(Okay, I’m going to make the stair spiral downwards, at least at first, because I don’t know how we could get them up high somewhere. We could always switch around later if needed.)

Liorah

Gwen walked into the passage Dancrow had come out of. I swayed, testing my leg. It hurt less than I would have expected and the blood had dried on the bandage. Mostly out of curiosity, I sat down and unwrapped the bandage carefully. I clenched my teeth and pulled it away from the wounds. Gavril made a sympathetic noise and knelt next to me.

I gently brushed away the flakes of dried blood. My eyebrows jumped up in surprise. The wounds were still there, but they were securely closed and much more healed than I’d expected.

Gavril frowned.

“When did you say this happened? You haven’t been gone that long.”

“About… three or four hours, I guess. I don’t know how long I slept. Time goes faster here, I think.”

“Those look at least a few days old.” Gavril said, “It seems ‘lord Castle’ is finally doing something helpful. Do they still hurt?”

I lifted a shoulder.

“Walking is alright, anything more hurts.”

Gavril rewrapped the bandage.

“I don’t have any new ones, but it’s not bleeding, so it should do. I know it’s futile to ask, but could you try to be careful?”

I grinned.

“I promise nothing.”

Gavril rolled his eyes, for what seemed like the hundredth time.

“I didn’t expect you to.”

Gwen walked back into the room, holding a leather satchel. I got to my feet.

“Where did you get that?” I asked, surprised. I was sure she hadn’t had it before.

Gwen pointed down the passage.

“End of the passage, it was on the ceiling. I don’t know where it came from,” she said,

(Sorry for taking over your character there, @jasmine, I needed her to respond, otherwise Liorah wouldn’t go down the passage)

“Thanks,” I said, already heading down it. I was going to investigate this.

The passage was dark and clammy, like the first one I’d entered. Perhaps it led to the outside. Before long, I bumped into the wall. I investigated it briefly, my fingertips trailing over the edges of the stone, but finding nothing. Determined to try something else, I pressed my shoulder to it and shoved as hard as I could. My feet slipped on the stones, but I didn’t budge the rock. It had been worth a try.

Gwen had said it was on the ceiling… Hmmm…

I reached up, my palms barely reaching the rock. I felt around until I found a groove. Then another, and another, forming a square. A panel! I tried pushing gently, but it didn’t move at all. I shoved it, jumping up to give my push more power. It didn’t help and a jolt of pain shot up my leg. So much for being careful.

“Gav?! Could you give me a hand? I found something!” I shouted, my voice echoing down the passage.

“What is it?” Gavril’s voice came wafting back.

“Panel!” I shouted.

“What’s behind it?”

“That’s what I’m trying to find out! Just come over here!”

I heard Gavril’s reluctant footsteps slowly coming nearer.

“Was this really necessary?” Gavril asked as he neared me. His voice was tight with tension.

“Look, there,” I said, ignoring his question and pointing upward.

“What do you mean, ‘look’? It’s pitch dark in here,” Gavril said, irritably.

I grabbed his wrist and placed his hand against the groove.

“Oh…” Gavril said, figuring out what I meant.

“Help me push,” I said,

Gavril was taller and stronger than I was, but even he struggled with the heavy stone panel. Finally, a deep grinding noise betrayed that we were making progress. With a final shove, it shifted and we pushed it aside. Warm light streamed through the opening, and Gavril gave a sigh of relief.

“Help me up,” I said, grabbing the edge of the stone.

“Shouldn’t we call the others?” Gavril asked, lifting me high enough that I could scramble onto the ledge.

“Yeah, just a… Wow.” I said, my breath catching as I saw the interior of the cave. It wasn’t a cave, it was a large, bare platform, about the size of the cave we’d come out of. There was a wall behind me and on either side. On the far side of the ledge, there was another wall, but there seemed to be a gap in front of it. The interior of the room was lit by torches, giving off a soft, warm light.

I got to my feet and took a step away from the panel. I heard Gavril climbing through behind me. I strode ahead, examining the room around me. I looked up at the ceiling, towering high above my head. My footsteps rang clear but somehow changed. They sounded…. hollow.

I looked down just in time to see that I was on the edge of a precipice, my feet no more than a few centimeters from the edge. The depth of the chasm made my head spin and I imagined myself plummeting through space, falling, falling.

A high shriek burst from me. The depth seemed to draw me in, and I was too petrified to move, for fear I would slip, or my leg would give way.

Something yanked me backward, away from the depth. I was quivering, trembling. Black spots danced before my eyes. I barely registered that Gavril had pulled me away from the chasm.

“It’s okay,” Gavril said, gently tugging me away from the edge.

My breath came in short gasps and I seemed to have forgotten how to speak. Then I remembered and cursed, loudly.

“Liorah! Language!” Gavril said, shocked once again.

I wanted to tell him that almost falling to my death was a valid reason, but I didn’t see the point in arguing.

Okay! Can’t wait to see what happens next!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

Can you change what happens in your dreams?

Also, another weird question, but can you escape dreams? Like, if you ahve a nightmare, can you force yourself out of it?

No, to both of those. They just sort of… happen, and I wake up with no memory of them. I do occasionally have a really, really vivid dream that I can remember, but they’re pretty rare.

I do have this weird thing where I’m not myself in dreams. It’s like… when you’re reading a book in first person. You have all the emotions and stuff, but you know that you’re someone else and it isn’t real. It’s really weird XD I also dream about my characters a LOT! Like, if I’ve been thinking over a particular scene, I might dream it XD

When I have nightmares, they’re normally about me dying or walking around in a really dark creepy place with creepy voices floating out of the walls but I CAN’T SEE WHOEVER IS GOING TO ATTACK ME SO IT’S SO SCARY. Actually, my nightmares normally come in parts, which is odd. I’ll have like four nightmares that continue from where I left off last time, and then it all leads up to the climax where either I die or I defeat the villain. (I had a really long series about Gollum that I won’t bore you with, lol).

That’s SO scary! Goodness, that sounds terrifying!

I’ve heard of so many people having nightmares about failing school subjects and stuff like that, but I’ve never had one like that. I’m homeschooled, and our grades don’t really earn us rewards or anything like that, so they’re not that scary to me.

Oh, that’s so cool! A fellow homeschooler! My Chemistry nightmares are about The Big Exam. It’s like… final exams? I don’t know how to explain it, but it’s like the final high-school exam. It’s kinda terrifying XD

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@rose-colored-fancy,

Ooh, that sounds cool! I’ve never had 1st person happen to me, although I have gone out of my body and watched me do stuff *cough cough* lose a swordfight and get killed for my trouble *cough cough*

Have you ever died by falling in a dream? I’ve heard that it’s pretty common, and when you wake up you feel like you just landed on your bed. I’ve never had that happen to me (I love heights, and I fly a lot in my dreams, and falls normally don’t hurt me, sooo…).

Okay, two of the most odd things that have happened to me in dreams are 1. Me dying and still being in the dream just… dead and 2. Me feeling pain in a dream.

When I died, it was ’cause I got eaten by a big fish like Jonah, but I died. Then I was just… there. In blackness. Just waiting to wake up. I was literally thinking, “Okay, this is weird and really boring. La de dah.” 😛

When I had the pain, it was b/c I was fighting Orcs and one of them kept stabbing my leg (he was going for my head, but I kept dodging yay!). It was so weird. 😛

What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?

(And great post, I loved it!!)

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Riure cocked her head, listening as someone took a seat and the prince made some comforting, sympathetic noises. She could imagine him wincing.

“When did you say this happened? You haven’t been gone that long.”

So then it was Princess Liorah who he was addressing. Probably.

“About… three or four hours, I guess,” she answered, clipped accent rising and falling softly. “I don’t know how long I slept. Time goes faster here, I think.”

“Those look at least a few days old,” Prince Gavril said, “It seems ‘Lord Castle’ is finally doing something helpful. Do they still hurt?”

Riure smiled. Ehud’s dubbing was catching on.

“Walking is alright, anything more hurts.”

Cloth slid. “I don’t have any new ones,” the prince said. Any new what? “But it’s not bleeding, so it should do. I know it’s futile to ask, but could you try to be careful?”

“I promise nothing.”

Riure stifled a laugh. The princess sounded like she was enjoying this.

“I didn’t expect you to.” Resigned.

Feet, booted by the sound of them, entered the room. From where? Riure took a few tentative steps forward. Sadiq moved with her.

“Where did you get that?” Princess Liorah asked, surprise coating her tone.

“End of the passage, it was on the ceiling.” Gwen. “I don’t know where it came from.”

“It?” Riure murmured. “What is ‘it’, Master Ziess?”

“A satchel,” he replied quietly.

Ah, that made sense. Well, about as much sense as the rest of this dream/adventure/thing. “Thanks,” Riure whispered, at the same time the princess said the word louder and limped away.

This time Riure raised her voice. ‘Where is she going?”

—————————

@wingiby-iggiby
    @this-is-not-an-alien @rose-colored-fancy @mischievous-thwapling @jasmine @rusted-knight

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@this-is-not-an-alien

Yeah, that about sums it up except the unicorns lol 😛 but if I hurry the process it’ll just be too unrealistic and bland like immediately having Ehud and Rosario finally kiss instead of dangling it around like a treat you can’t quite reach yet.

Totally! You’ve gotta savor it, LOL Gotta make the readers ache and drool for it . . . and, like Rose said, you have to include the unicorns in some way!!!

And, like Joelle said, we need a GIANT Sprinkles!!! That would totally be awesome!!! And I’d love to see our families’ reactions if they read all of this!!!

@rose-colored-fancy

Thank you so much! I just want to clarify real quick, that Dancrow doesn’t necessarily have to dislike her (I don’t know how quick he is to judge people.) That was mostly Liorah’s perception/”shark music”, so she would instinctively view it that way, even if he didn’t mean it to be anything of the kind. I love that first-person narration is always a bit unreliable. Liorah often jumps to conclusions, so that makes it much easier to hide plot twists while still foreshadowing. Liorah will often dismiss things that are actually really important because it doesn’t fit what she wants to believe.

Yes, that is the thing you’ve gotta remember with first person narrative! But being able to foreshadow stuff like that is great; I’ll have to keep that in mind. And actually, Dan is a bit peeved, LOL I haven’t written this point of my book yet, but at this point he is more mature so he is going to deal with it a bit better than he would’ve before. 😉

Yeah, Liorah does this thing where she’s afraid of being rejected so she sort of self-sabotages. She’s like thinking “if I expect rejection, I don’t get hurt.” I think this falls into the category of characters struggling with the same stuff as you XD

Dan is actually a bit of the awkward me, actually — even if it is just me railing against myself when nobody else thought it awkward at all 😛

LOL!! SAME! I have only two characters with any sense of self-preservation. Acyn, and Faye, my other MC  (The second book has a dual POV, Faye and Liorah). Acyn is a very analytical/logical person so his reaction to every idea Liorah has is something like: “A battle? Are you kidding me?! NO. We’re going to die. Or more specifically, you’re going to die, because I’m not coming.”

HA! HA! HA! *bangs table top with each loud, exaggerated gaffaw* {Ever seen the TV sitcom Alf (Alien Life Form)? That’s how he laughs, LOL} But I love that phrase “sense of self-preservation.” Having characters like that — logical one, brash one — is always awesome! Andy Taylor and Barney Fife come to mind!! (Yes, I love old sitcoms).

LOL! That’s hilarious! I love the ‘dream-discussion’ we’re having! I never remember my dreams either, but they’re usually of the ‘I need to get somewhere but I’m not getting ahead’ variety. Or stupid nightmares about failing Chemistry and stuff like that XD The only thing I remember pretty clearly is that my dreams usually take place in the same place. I have the layout of the dream-city memorized, and almost all my dreams are there? It’s really weird XD

So cool that you have a layout of dream-city!!! I wish I had that 🙁 Mine happen in weird places — usually different — every time. I have those ‘I need to get somewhere but I’m not getting ahead’ types too!!! It’s usually that I can’t ever get to the bathroom to brush my teeth, LOL And I love this discussion too!!

@joelle-stone

First: Um, yeah, I’ve always remembered most of my dreams, lol. When I wake up I normally try to piece them back together, and then, depending on how awesome and/or horrible the dream was, I’ll remember it from a week up to my whole life. XD

Whoa. I wish I could do that!

And I have a sibling who has dreams like yours! They’re always weird, and he/she can’t ever remember them except for the weird parts. XD

EXACTLY!! Tell your sib EXACTLY!!

Second: I LOVE the Mandalorian!! Kaleia (IDK if you remember her from the Flabbit Room) and I watched the first season + Rogue One + Solo in one sitting, not counting a few breaks. (I added it up and I think it was, like, 8 hours of movies. 0_0 Never doing that again, lol!) We watched the second season not to long ago. 😀 Who is your favorite character? Mine’s probably Mando.

I don’t think I remember Kaleia (don’t tell her that 😛 ), but crazy you watched ALL those in one sitting! I’ve never seen Solo (is it good?), and saw Rogue One (found it o.k.). Hmmm, fav character? Well, Din Djarin of course!!! Well, him and Cara Dune and Grogu and IG-11! Boba Fett’s pretty cool, too, but, like I heard somebody else say, “going off of what happens to those who sit on Jabba’s throne, I’m not so sure I wanna see him there.” 😛

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@wingiby-iggiby,

I forgot about Cara!! She’s pretty awesome!

And I found Solo… disappointing. The person playing Solo kept trying to do the mouth thing that’s Han’s trademark, and failing. And there was a lot of kissing and sexual stuff. But… yeah? The villain was pretty cool, and there were these, like, laser knives that were so cool.

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@joelle-stone

I forgot about Cara!! She’s pretty awesome!

I know, right!? She always has a bit of humor at the ready, a sad backstory what with Alderaan and all, and she’s an amazing martial artist!

And I found Solo… disappointing. The person playing Solo kept trying to do the mouth thing that’s Han’s trademark, and failing. And there was a lot of kissing and sexual stuff. But… yeah? The villain was pretty cool, and there were these, like, laser knives that were so cool.

Ok, laser knives sound awesome and so does the villain, but the rest? Yeah, not so much. You confirmed it; all I’ve heard is negative stuff, so that movie is not anywhere near my watch-list, LOL 😉 but they need to include laser knives somewhere else too!

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

DANCROW CART

When I heard the voice, I thought it was the girl who had the dog speaking. Of course, it wasn’t, because as soon as the glowing orb was thrust up to the ceiling, I was able to see. I jumped back and went into a defensive stance: one foot back, hand on gun, other arm held in front of my body protectively. When I realized that it wasn’t a bomb about to blow us up to our Maker, and that no one else seemed concerned, except Gavril, I resumed my feigned casualness. But when I saw the little guy, my jaw nearly dropped, and my eyes went wide. What is that? I wasn’t even able to comprehend his joke and minor insult. I just wanted to go over, pick him up, and examine his tiny features — but going off of that shining ball, it was probably a bad idea.

With the newfound light, I roved the cave with my eyes and studied those in it. Several were wounded, and all seemed as if they really were “mis-fits.” None belonged, counting myself. One sassy girl, with black hair, told us that we shared everything (would make more sense if I knew what was going on), and the boy clinging to her must have been her younger brother. He had a pink-glow-in-the-dark-pony which I found extremely odd and very out of place. Besides, pink? The girl with the dog, I saw, seemed to be listening to Liorah and Gavril, but not really seeing. Then I put two and two together. I felt like I needed to go over and apologize — imagine not being able to see any of this crazy stuff! I wouldn’t be able to stand it — but I really had no idea how to go about doing that. Besides, my mind was running too fast:

Who is that tiny guy? Who are these people? How did we all get here? How will we get food? Water? HELP? WHY ARE THEY SO DAMN CALM?? 

I had to remind myself to be calm, just like they probably were. Gawking around at everything and everybody, I didn’t know Liorah was gone until I heard the blind girl pipe up:

“Where is she going?”

“I, I dunno,” I stammered involuntarily, turning around just as Gavril’s cape disappeared into the hole in the wall left by the mirror. I stood there dumbly for a second, not sure what to do. But I wasn’t really sure how to go about introducing myself, and I really did just want to get out of there. However, as I turned my back, I got a sick feeling in my gut. They look like they need help. But how can I possibly help them? My first-aid kit is limited, and it seems as if all of them can walk. They’ll follow behind us. And if I stand here arguing with myself, I’ll never get out of here and we’ll all die anyway!

Even so, as I crept along, I still felt a twinge of guilt. I got to the back of the passage just in time to hear a brain-splitting shriek and catch myself against the wall before falling over in fright. After letting my rapidly beating heart slow down, I saw the gap above the wall — from behind which was coming a loud string of curses. I tucked several of them away in my mind: good for insulting Vergs, they would be.

“Ok, Danny,” I whispered to myself, “here goes nothing. Just make sure you don’t squeal like a pig-like as she did.”

I leapt and caught the opening with both hands, then pulled, feeling the painful strain in my shoulders. I tried to pull myself up, but to no avail. I let go, then tried again. Grunting, I managed to pull up a leg and hook it on the ledge, then roll over onto my side, just catching myself before I rolled off of it completely. Wiggling around, I managed to get my feet over, and I hopped down.

The walls were the same reddish clay stuff, but there was a large arch leading out of the room. It was dim, and I blinked to adjust my eyes. I turned to Gavril and Liorah, hoping they didn’t mind that I had followed. I was still sore with the girl, but I needed to get over it. I had learned that without grace, I would get nowhere. And now was not the time to make enemies.

“Hey,” I said, rubbing my temples. “I didn’t thank y’all for gettin’ me outa’ that spot. And thanks fer finding this place.” After a moments pause, I added, “should we let the other’s know ‘bout it? I can go back for ’em.”

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

No one answered her question right away, although the princess’ voice drifted into the room: “Gav?! Could you give me a hand? I found something!”

“I, I dunno,” Dancrow stuttered in reply. Riure smiled in his direction as Prince Gavril’s heavier footsteps exited the room, wondering why he was so nervous. Oh. He probably was having trouble talking to a blind person. A lot of people did.

A moment later his footsteps – slow, indicating a stride – faded as he followed the princess.

“Are we all leaving?” Riure asked Master Ziess, struggling not to laugh as he took to the air, his wings tickling her cheek.

A shriek, faint but clear, lilted into the cave. Feminine. Riure tensed, and Sadiq growled softly. Footsteps, too many for Riure to pick out, stampeded in the direction the others had gone.

“Yes,” Master Ziess replied with a chuckle.

“Follow the crowd,” Riure murmured to Sadiq, gripping her dog’s scruff as they began to move. Sadiq walked with a slight limp, but Riure could tell she was holding her head high.

Follow the crowd. Sadiq was trained to lead Riure safely along with a moving crowd, keeping people alert to her blindness and yet making sure Riure went fast enough so as to not be trampled. It was a skill they’d only recently worked on, so she was a bit nervous about it, but Sadiq knew what she was doing.

As walls closed in, as far as Riure could tell, the footsteps had spread out into single file, indicating narrowness. Sadiq kept Riure on the right, letting her mistress run her fingers across the wall for extra guidance.

A moment later, Riure was clustered in a small area with a lot of people. Like, a lot. She couldn’t tell where they were, but she knew that someone, Konyar, she thought, was working.

“Next,” he grunted, and someone scrabbled against scales with a lot of ‘ouching’ on Konyar’s part. Riure wasn’t sure, but she thought the female dragon – what was her name?! – was laughing. The blind girl smiled, feeling the contagious bubbles in her stomach.

Sadiq led her forward, so Riure assumed someone was behind them. When they stopped, Riure put her back to the wall and waited for someone to tell her what to do.

It was Konyar. “Riure,” he called. “Come over here. There’s a hole thing in the ceiling that we’re all going into. It’s pretty high up, though, so I’ll give you a boost.”

“Speaker,” Riure murmured to Sadiq, and as they walked she asked, “How short is it? Will we have to crawl?”

“No,” Konyar rumbled. She felt his breath on her face as Sadiq came to a halt, trembling. Her dog might be brave, but Konyar was big. Very big. “It’s an archway you should be able to stand up in.”

“What’s past it?” Riure asked, nervousness rising in her throat. The idea of going through the arch, probably without Sadiq, was wearing on her already exhausted mind.

There was a moment of murmured words as Konyar held a conversation with someone apparently already inside. “A ledge,” he replied, seeming to turn back to Riure. His warm, sweet-smelling breath blew past her shoulder. “There’s a chasm, though, so you might want to keep close to the wall.”

Remember the scream, Riure told herself. Someone’s probably in trouble.

That settled it. “Alright, I’ll go.”

A long, curved talon encircled her waist, and Riure’s breath caught in her throat as she released Sadiq’s scruff and ascended into the air. She lived a year in every second, imagining a hundred awful thing surrounding her until Konyar gently set her down on a stone outcropping. Her legs dangled over the edge. Sadiq was barking angrily somwhere below her, and to her left. “Easy, girl,” Riure soothed, then turned around and felt the floor with both hands. It felt smooth enough, so she slid her legs inside the opening and crawled forward a few feet.

Startled yelps and barking and Konyar’s, “Calm down, doggy. I’m not going to hurt you!” indicated that Sadiq was being transported. Not long after, a furry body slammed into Riure, then promptly pressed her against the wall. “Hi, Sadiq,” Riure laughed, already feeling much better. “Did you enjoy the ride?”

Standing, she felt for Sadiq’s scruff. The dog was making various offended noises, but Riure clucked her tongue in the pattern for “forward” and walked along the wall. The floor was smooth, thank goodness, and the wall ran straight for a good ways before curving forward. Riure thought the curve was a good spot, so she released Sadiq and stood with her hands behind her back against the wall, humming as she analyzed the voices.

Rosario. Ehud. King Kami. Gwen. The prince and princess, thank goodness. Dancrow, she thought. Konyar, talking to the female – RILYN!! That was her name! – just outside. Riure breathed a sigh of relief as she checked more voices off her mental list. It seemed that everyone was here – wherever ‘here’ was.

————————-

@everyone Heh heh. That was really controlling, sorry!! If it’s too much I can always edit it out. 😉

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

Have you ever died by falling in a dream?

When I died, it was ’cause I got eaten by a big fish like Jonah, but I died. Then I was just… there. In blackness. Just waiting to wake up. I was literally thinking, “Okay, this is weird and really boring. La de dah.”

When I had the pain, it was b/c I was fighting Orcs and one of them kept stabbing my leg (he was going for my head, but I kept dodging yay!). It was so weird.

What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?

That’s so cool! My dreams aren’t nearly as interesting, even when I do remember them XD I don’t think I’ve ever ‘died’ in a dream, as far as I can remember. And I actually never get hurt, somehow. My nightmares usually revolve around something like “I need to do the thing but I CAN’T!” They’re more annoying than scary.

I don’t remember any particularly weird dreams, I usually forget them right away. I do remember that I’ve had a few flying dreams. Well, it was more like floating, I’d just throw myself at the ground and miss. (I’m impressed if anyone gets the reference XD) That was fantastic!

@wingiby-iggiby

Who is that tiny guy? Who are these people? How did we all get here? How will we get food? Water? HELP? WHY ARE THEY SO DAMN CALM??

LOL! Dancrow’s reaction is hilarious! And really realistic too XD Liorah and Gavril were just like “Huh. Cool.”

Dan is actually a bit of the awkward me, actually — even if it is just me railing against myself when nobody else thought it awkward at all

I actually love the bit of awkwardness, it makes him seem less… brash and vain, like a bit more relatable. It really works!

But I love that phrase “sense of self-preservation.” Having characters like that — logical one, brash one — is always awesome! Andy Taylor and Barney Fife come to mind!! (Yes, I love old sitcoms).

The impulsive+voice-of-reason is one of my all-time favorite relationships. Probably why I have so many XD Liorah is usually the impulsive one, everyone else seems logical compared to her.

So cool that you have a layout of dream-city!!! I wish I had that   Mine happen in weird places — usually different — every time.

Yeah, all my places look really different too, but I somehow know how they’re connected? It’s really weird actually XD Like, I could probably navigate it, if I had to.

Yes, that is the thing you’ve gotta remember with first person narrative! But being able to foreshadow stuff like that is great; I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Yeah, I love how the reader is generally almost ‘trained’ to believe the narrator, so if the narrator just explains it away, the reader will dismiss it. It’s literally my favorite technique to use since it works every single time. I actually had one of my characters literally predict an event that will occur (much later, in the next book) and every one of my beta-readers just skimmed over it because Liorah waved it away. XD

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Rose.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Where is she going?” Riure asked as the princess limped into the crazy new corridor they found. Ehud didn’t exactly know the answer to that because he couldn’t dash into the weird creepy entrance while Rosario was firmly gripping his hood.
    “Hey it looks like a new passage!” Ehud said, half to Rosario, half to answer Riure’s question. “Maybe we could make it out that way…”
    He stared up at Rosario pathetically because all he really wanted to do was explore the area and she knew it. She looked down at him completely unimpressed.
    You’ll touch nothing, idiota?” She asked, not even believing him when he nodded empathically and gave a little puppy whimper. Rolling her eyes she released him and Ehud instantly bolted down the corridor, skidding to a stop in front of the precipice.
    “Wowser! Look at this!” His voice gave a hollow tinny echo across the walls. A steel staircase curled up and up so high he threw his head back and tottered backwards a couple steps and still couldn’t see the top. Sliding behind Ehud Rosario prepared to yank him back at a moment’s notice. She was too late. Ehud backed several more steps before taking a running leap from the precipice to the stairs scrambling up the railings like a monkey. Dangling lanterns hung along the abyss lighting the tunnel.
    “Are you done trying to kill yourself?” Rosario stated flatly to which Ehud gave a sheepish/nervous laugh.
    “It’s really high…” Absently, he fumbled for Sprinkles. Who wasn’t in his jacket pocket. Ehud frowned and dug through his pockets. More and more perturbed he practically ripped at the inside of his pocket turning around in circles just enough to trip on the rail.
    Ehud-!” Rosario cursed and dashed across a precarious bridge onto the the staircase as Ehud regained his balance just in time for her to jerked him away from the rails hard enough he nearly saw stars. “Idiota! Ragazzo! What the devil possesses you to dance around like a little…little” Trying not to cuss in front of Ehud, she took a deep stiff breath before looking at him again.
    “Idiota?” Ehud suggested weakly
    “Yes; idiota!” One hand bunching both the cuff of his neck and his hood and the other gripping his elbow, Rosario walked him away from the edge just enough to feel safe. Her knuckles were white and she didn’t release him.
    “You’re hurting me.” he said in a small voice. Consciously Rosario loosened her grip a little, despite her best efforts still holding tight enough Ehud squirmed uncomfortably. Abruptly he caught a pink light above them and pointed energetically.
    “Lookit! Lookit! It’s Sprinkles, she ran away!” he burst out. Rosario sighed. There was no possibility anyone, herself included, could believe his stupid pink glow-in-the-dark toy was alive and on the top of the staircase. But, the light was pink, Ehud would be delighted by any pink object they found, and it didn’t seem particularly relevant which direction they went as long as they kept moving forward.
    “We’re going up,” Rosario said “the higher we get the more likely we’ll be able to determine our position assuming we can find an opening. High ground is generally safer and more defensible. So anyone who’s coming–” Her gaze slid to the two newcomers momentarily before moving on.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 965 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest