fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 965 total)
  • Author
    Jasmine
    @jasmine

Alright. I think I’m going to switch up Gwendolyn’s mood. Normally she would still be sullen and cautious for a wile longer but right now I need to work on her normal fierce, cocky, self.

@wingiby-iggiby

*runs over and hugs you “yay!!! I’m not the only one who is really super awkward in these situations!!!! Like I’m being right now!!!! Welcome to the club!!!”*

*hugs you back* Lol “let’s call it the embarrassingly awkward club!”

Thank you! I can’t wait to see how Dan interacts with Gwen and all of y’all too, LOL

Me to! I love introducing characters to other characters. It’s fun to see how they react.

“Only the biggest bugs I’ve ever seen, otherwise, no,” Gavril replied.

Gwendolyn laughed and turned to look over the cave again. She heard Liorah and Gavril argue for a moment, then a loud crack echoed through the cave. She spun around and the first thing she saw was a broken mirror lying on the ground.

The image of the monsters flooding the last room flashed in her mind and sent a shiver down her back. Gwendolyn shouted in surprise, her hand flew to her sword hilt, and she subconsciously stepped between Riure and the now-open mirror passageway. Her eyes finally settled on the black figure standing in the passageway. The figure was covered in black all over, even his face and hands where covered in black soot.

““Ummmm, welcome, I suppose. You can die with us if you like.” Liorah said.

Gwendolyn’s face turned red and she lowered her sword. Another great first impression. This was starting to get embarrassing.

“Howdy, names Cart. Dancrow Cart.” the new guy said. Dancrow held out his sooty hand glanced at it, wiped it across his black shirt, and held it out again.

Gwendolyn glanced down the passageway before returning her sword to its sheath.

“Nice costume,” Dancrow said,  “And where exactly am I? I have no idea how I got here, so I can’t tell you, but I do know that I would like to get out.”

“Welcome to our world.” Liorah replied. “We’re trapped in goodness-knows-where, none of us seem to come from the same country, and none of us know how we ended up here. Except us, and we can’t find the exit. And about costumes, I must admit I admire yours. I’ve seldom seen someone imitate a chunk of coal so well. Dan-crow is quite the apt name.“

“Welcome to cripple’s cave.” Gwendolyn greeted, “You might be stuck here for a wile. We’ve been trying to get out. Your welcome to join us in our quest for the exit of the living maze.”

“He he,” Dancrow  chuckled, “Thanks, and thanks for being decent, too.”

“I’m Gavril, and that is my sister, Liorah,” Gavril said with a sigh.

“Well, my lady, I’m glad you like it. A hunk of coal is what I was trying to imitate, actually. I’m glad it is effective. When you are creeping through dark train-yards to blow up the cargo of enemy soldiers, it would be best to look like coal.” Dancrow said sounding slightly annoyed.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Ok, that took me a wile to post because my screen was acting up. I’ll posts more on Monday if I can.

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Allen yawned and stretched. He could have napped longer but the yelling was waking him. Reaching out with his mind, Allen searched the room. Two others had appeared while he had slept.

“I’m Gavril, and that is my sister, Liorah.” said a voice.

Allen noticed the similarity in their speech. Then a second male spoke.

“Well, my lady, I’m glad you like it. A hunk of coal is what I was trying to imitate, actually. I’m glad it is effective. When you are creeping through dark train-yards to blow up the cargo of enemy soldiers, it would be best to look like coal.”

A saboteur huh. Fluttering to Riure, Allen landed on her shoulder.

“Good morning. Or evening. Does anyone know?” He paused to let the joke take effect. “Now let us see who the new folks are.”

Reaching out, an orb of light appeared over his hand. Casting it to the ceiling, Allen let it fill the room with light. Standing next to Liorah was the one called Gavril. He was dressed in a similar garb, reminiscent of Arabian fashion. The other looked a regular human worker except his face was blackened to hide in shadows.

“Well, well, well. Two more misfits lost in a world between worlds.”

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby

I have to keep watching myself on that XD, since my side characters tend to be a bit uh . . . . wild.

Ooh, familiar feeling! I have a side character who’s trying to usurp Liorah’s position, and he’s doing a pretty good job of it. *Sighhh* And Sahar and Acyn of course XD Those two are everyone’s favorites XD They have fewer… issues than Liorah.

Okay, I loved reacting to that!!!!

XD! That was so much fun! I forgot Dancrow is a bit vain XD That actually makes it better. I wish Liorah could read his mind, she’d be so proud of being ‘the snarkiest, rudest, most impertinent, brattiest girl he’d ever met.’ Or would she be disappointed that he already has a bad opinion of her? I actually don’t know. Let’s find out!

Liorah

Dancrow’s eyes widened in disbelief, then anger. I crossed my arms and glared at him. If he was so desperate to keep his ego unscathed, he should stop hurling around rude comments.

He grinned, but it seemed strained. Somehow, I’d managed to touch a nerve.

“Well, my lady, I’m glad you like it. A hunk of coal is what I was trying to imitate, actually. I’m glad it is effective. When you are creeping through dark train-yards to blow up the cargo of enemy soldiers, it would be best to look like coal.” He said, the sarcasm clear in his voice.

I narrowed my eyes, almost certain he was making fun of me. Train? Cargo? Train-yards? Was he making up words to confuse me? Then I remembered he was from a different world, with different things. I wasn’t about to ask. I half-smiled, imagining what my friend Acyn would have done. He would have asked a hundred questions by this time, out of sheer curiosity.

Dancrow was glaring at me, clearly trying to keep from saying something rude. I grinned back, daring him to try it. I was bored, and it might be fun to engage in a battle of insults. I would win.

Gavril glared daggers at me. No, more like full-fledged hunting javelins. I raised an eyebrow. What was he going to do about it? I could say whatever I wanted.

As I glanced back at Dancrow, my smile faded. There it was again. The familiar look of dislike. I’d seen it often, after almost every meeting. He was comparing me to Gavril and trying to understand how the perfect crown-prince could have a sister like that. I shrugged, almost imperceptibly, and stared at the toes of my boots, noting the dried blood on the bandage and the side of the boot. My leg ached. I shouldn’t have used it that much.

After all, what did it matter? Distaste now, or disappointment later. The least I could do was get it over with as soon as possible. If people knew my worst side from the start, I wouldn’t have to get attached before they found out I wasn’t nearly as good as Gavril.

“Good morning. Or evening. Does anyone know?” The small man had fluttered to Riure’s shoulder.

“Late afternoon, where I came from,” Gavril responded, politely and automatically. I rolled my eyes. It had clearly been intended as a joke, but Gavril saw it as an opportunity to help.

“Now let us see who the new folks are.” The small man made an orb of light materialize and cast it to the ceiling, lighting up the cave. Gavril recoiled a step, surprised. I grinned. I wasn’t going to warn him about the dragons. That would be hilarious.

“Well, well, well. Two more misfits lost in a world between worlds.”

Gavril smiled, and I frowned. How did Gavril manage to keep his temper? He’d been insulted, or close, at least three times in the last ten minutes, and he hadn’t even gotten angry. I couldn’t help myself, the familiar spite flared up in me, the feeling that I would never measure up to Gavril.

“People in parchment tents shouldn’t throw stones, at least he doesn’t have wings,” I mumbled under my breath. It didn’t matter what I said. I would always fall short of Gavril, so why try?

Gavril glared at me, trying to shut me up by sheer force of willpower. He didn’t have to bother. He would look better by comparison.

Ummm… Okay. I wasn’t expecting that. Liorah is in a rather contemplative mood, I suppose.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Then you had  better give her a good ending — and pronto, otherwise I will be forced to!!

No wait that could be interesting. How would her good ending go if you were writing it?

My eyes fly open (I can’t ever wake up gradually). For a second, however, I wonder why I’m not seeing anything. The flash from that explosion wasn’t that bright, was it? Then I blink several times, yelp, and smash my head into something hard above me. ******* My eyes open for the second time, but this time, I keep my panic inside me by gulping a huge mouthful of air. After several deep breaths, I frantically start feeling around. I barely have room to turn over. Am I in a coffin? How did this happen? What in tarnation is this?

Lol that’s so funny I was giggling through this whole post 😀

*throws forum door open and bursts into room* “I’m back! I made i–” *Stops talking realizing everyone is staring at me like I’m crazy* “uh…sorry to interrupt. I was..um. Hi. I’m back.”  *waves awkwardly*

*“You’re back!” Bowls you over with a hug, has no idea why but welcoming any excuse to hug somebody. “Where were you what happened tell me everything!” (in appropriate over-dramatic voice)*

“Abandon all hope ye who enter here!” Ehud yelled at them dramatically “I’ll be back.” Gwendolyn said ignoring him. By the time she had reached them Ehud was grumbling to Sprinkles (the pony) with exaggerated sass. “Because I’m a puppy and I need to stay while all the grownups go and do grownup things and I just sit here and wait for her to ‘be back’. I know, right? Nobody ever listens to either of us and–” That was so funny! How do you think of that stuff to write? I almost died laughing!

I haven’t the foggiest idea where it comes from expect that I’m naturally a very obnoxious person with no filter…idk, Ehud’s responses come more naturally to me than for most of my characters’. I guess it’s mostly my brain making weird connections that are so weird they’re funny…
    Btw I loved Gwen’s reaction to Ehud’s emotional-counselor-obstinacy be like “uh no, I don’t wanna talk about it and I’m gonna go now…”

“It’s not that bad, Ehud.” Riure struggled through her giggles which made Ehud quite proud of himself for getting someone to laugh. He was about to say something when a thump from the mirror behind him made him yelp with surprise. Whirling around Ehud stared suspiciously at the glass. It did it again, it thumped and thumped. So Ehud poked it and jumped back in case it attacked.
    “Maybe we should break it!” Ehud said with a devilish grin and burst out laughing at everyone’s reactions. Eventually Liorah and her…brother(?) broke the mirror to expose a very awkward sooty guy who instantly got in a small snark war with everyone, especially Liorah.
    He retreated from the shattered mirror, stuffing his hands in his pockets and watching with relish for several seconds before fluttering back to Rosario as she hooked her elbow beneath herself for support, leveling him with the wild, forbidding stare that came after most of her nightmares. Ehud sat beside her and waited, knowing better than to try and talk about it directly.

Why won’t he just leave me? Rosario wanted to yell at him or something that would provoke him enough he’d give up on her, but she just couldn’t hurt him like that, even to protect him from her. Her stony gaze never leaving him she wrenched herself up to hunch into her knees. They’d been through this before; her snapping in over something stupid and he just refused to walk away from it.
    “You need to go.” Rosario warned in a low, cutting voice that made Ehud tense imperceptibly. But he didn’t, he just scrunched over his glow-in-the-dark pony. There wasn’t any way to get him to leave. She let out a harsh breath, somehow itching cigarette like a childhood antidepressant. “Would you just stop trying to save me, you don’t even know what I’m capable of.”
    “Yeah,” Ehud sighed sagely “I like to think of myself as a serial bad-mood killer…” He quailed a little under her forbidding glare. Her messed bangs dangled over her brows making her smudged eye-shadow look like bruising. To him she looked enchanted like a warrior queen under the spell of a battle-scarred soldier. And she was…sooo. Out of his league. She’d probably laugh in his face if he told her he had a crush on her. That, or pummel him.
    “Ya’know I…there was this thing before you got here that the castle did, it was like…like back home, right, and everything was different and all…” He shifted awkwardly raked a hand through spiky tuffs of his hair causing them to stand even more on end. “You were…you were there too, ya’know but…the way it happened I…I shot you.”
    Ehud fumbled even more, rubbing the side of his neck before stuffing his hands in his pockets and then returning to running his hand through his now quite fluffy hair. When he dared to dart a glance at Rosario she was listening her smoldered-ebony eyes fixed intently into him. He fidgeted even more, rifling through her jacket pocket anxiously.
    “I shot you,” he repeated “and I…I coulda killed a buncha other people…I woulda too…”
    Glancing down at his hands, Ehud suddenly realized he was turning over a pack of cigars over and over. He stared up at her.
    “You?” she snorted, not unkindly “You shouldn’t worry, carino, you’re such a nice gu–”
    “That’s just it! I’m not a nice person!” Ehud blurted, his eyes reddening “nice people are kind cos they can’t be anything else they’re addicted to pleasing people.”
    He dug his fist into his face a second before he could continue.
    “Good people are capable of every bit of being cruel,” he stammered “and they act kind instead.”
    “Oh.” Rosario shoved a hand on his shoulder and pushed his chin up with her thumb with a cynic half-smile “I see what you’re trying to do, you’re trying to get me to think maybe I’m not so bad if I keep my darkness inside, that’s what you’re trying to do, idiota–”
    “I–”
    “Ay, maybe in your sweet ideal world people can lock their evil up in the dark,” Her gaze narrowed to send enough of a shiver through Ehud he nearly flinched out of her firm grip. “But that’s not how it works here. In the real world.” She murmured “In the real world broken people hurt you, good or bad doesn’t matter, idiota, I’ll hurt you.”
    “Rosy…” Ehud squeezed his hands together in front of him, staring up at her pathetically “everybody’s gonna hurt you a bunch if ya let them in. It’s just a matter of who’s worth hurting for, who actually cares whether they hurt you or not. That’s what makes a good person; whether or not they really care.”
    He blinked furtively as his eyes started to blur. He just couldn’t find words to express how much he wanted her to see herself maybe the way he saw her, or just see herself as beautiful even if she was broken. He hated seeing people hurt themselves, he hated it.
    Abruptly Rosario yanked him close, hooking her arms around him tightly, as if holding to a lifeline. Ehud’s eyes widened bigger than saucers, his cheeks burning.
    “You’re precious,” She stated the two words as forcefully as if they were the only lesson he should ever learn in life. Her fingers tangled through his hair as she pulled him closer, so close he could smell her hair, her sweat, the lingering traces of cigarette, the kerosene-filled street-aroma. It was real, it was breathtakingly real. Ehud was too stunned to move until she released him, slowly, her hand sinking behind his neck before retreating back as she returned him to arm’s length.

I love you he thought blankly I love you I love you I love you
    “What?” Rosario said, tensing back again.
    “I didn’t–! I–oh everybody’s awake! We–I–group…help…Sprinkles did it! I don’t wanna die!” Ehud flapped his arms with his hands in his pockets, still too dazed to move and too panicky not to do something. She looked him up and down frowning quizzically.
    “You need some sleep…” As she got up she hauled him to his feet by his hood. “We need to get moving now.”
    Ehud tugged her arm until she noticed the newcomers.
    “Oh I see. You’re welcome to join us, we share alike food, supplies and any hardships we encounter, right now we’re moving because that is our best option until you have any suggestion…” She halted mid-sentence to look Dancrow over. Her eyebrows raised slightly but she said nothing.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Her messed bangs dangled over her brows making her smudged eye-shadow look like bruising. To him she looked enchanted like a warrior queen under the spell of a battle-scarred soldier.

I LOVE that description! That’s basically exactly how I imagined her!

“nice people are kind cos they can’t be anything else they’re addicted to pleasing people.”

WOW. Just, wow. I had to read that a couple of times, that’s so good!

“In the real world broken people hurt you, good or bad doesn’t matter, idiota, I’ll hurt you.”
    “Rosy…” Ehud squeezed his hands together in front of him, staring up at her pathetically “everybody’s gonna hurt you a bunch if ya let them in. It’s just a matter of who’s worth hurting for, who actually cares whether they hurt you or not. That’s what makes a good person; whether or not they really care.”

WOW! That’s spectacular!

I love you he thought blankly I love you I love you I love you

*Bounces excitedly* EEeee! They’re so CUTE!

I LOVED that post! Great job!

Gavril

I didn’t take my eyes of Liorah, trying to get her to shut up by sheer force of willpower. Couldn’t she understand that this was a dangerous situation? We were trapped in here, for goodness knew how long, and no way of getting out if things turned sour. Now was not the time to exercise her considerable capacity for sarcasm. Couldn’t she wait?

Liorah stared at her boots, a small frown tight across her forehead. My expression softened. She was probably just worried, and scared. Or she was bored. Whichever.

“We need to get moving now.”

A girl I hadn’t seen before stood beside me suddenly. Her coal-black eyes swept over me and Dancrow, emotionless and stern. She was holding a boy by the hood of his jacket. He peered around with wide, innocent blue eyes. The two were quite a contrast. I barely stifled a smile.

“Oh, I see. You’re welcome to join us, we share alike food, supplies, and any hardships we encounter, right now we’re moving because that is our best option until you have any suggestion…” The girl said, crisply.

“Hardships we have a-plenty. Water, less so,” Liorah said, pointedly.

I immediately slipped my waterbag off my shoulder and held it out to the girl. I noticed she already had Liorah’s, and I assumed she had taken charge of that.

“I’m Gavril, Liorah’s brother. Sorry, that’s all I have.”

I observed them more carefully. The girl looked stern and forbidding, her black (?) hair falling in messy layers across her forehead. The boy grinned, cheerfully.

“What are your names?” I asked, politely, addressing both of them.

I remembered the girl’s first remark and stared at the tunnels apprehensively. I did NOT want to go back in there. Liorah noticed me staring and mumbled,

“The dark won’t bite.” Thankfully, she said it in Lehabim, so my embarrassing phobia wasn’t broadcasted to the entire group. For some reason, she was sulking, though I couldn’t see why.

“Whatever’s inside it might,” I replied.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

“Good morning. Or evening. Does anyone know?” Something fluttered against Riure’s cheek, and she smiled.

“Late afternoon, where I came from,” Prince Gavril responded, his tone polite. Riure felt her eyebrows lift. He didn’t seem surprised to find a small flying man perching on her shoulder.

“Now let us see who the new folks are,” Master Ziess said. “Well, well, well. Two more misfits lost in a world between worlds.”

That would be the prince and the one Princess Liorah described as a hunk of coal. Dancrow… Dancrow Cart. He had an interesting way of speaking that Riure had never encountered before.

“People in parchment tents shouldn’t throw stones, at least he doesn’t have wings,” Princess Liorah mumbled.

Acting on instinct, Riure turned her head in the princess’ direction, realizing just in time that she would force Master Ziess into the air if she did. He probably wouldn’t take kindly to that.

Something leaned against Riure’s leg, and with a smile, the blind girl let her hand stroke Sadiq’s head. The dog was up and seemed to be healing quickly, which meant Riure could soon move.

Footsteps approached, soft yet confident. Rosario? “We need to get moving now.” Her accent confirmed Riure’s suspicions. Was Ehud with her?

“Oh, I see,” Rosario continued. Riure hid a smile under her hand. Rosario might see, but Riure didn’t. What was she talking about, and who was she addressing? Hopefully not Riure. If she was, this could be embarrassing. “You’re welcome to join us, we share alike food, supplies, and any hardships we encounter, right now we’re moving because that is our best option until you have any suggestion…”

“Hardships we have a-plenty. Water, less so,” Princess Liorah said before Riure could jump in and make a fool of herself. So Rosario wasn’t addressing her.

The prince introduced himself as cloth slid and water sloshed in something… some kind of waterskin, by the sound. “Sorry, that’s all I have. What are your names?”

Names, plural. So Ehud must be here too, or the dragons, or King Kami. I wonder what they did during the night. Princess Liorah said that she thought Lord Castle was sending us nightmares. She shuddered as the visions of her dream flashed before her eyes – dead Sadiq, harsh father, ailing mother, tortured Lytt.

The princess murmured something, but Riure couldn’t understand the words. She was pretty sure Princess Liorah had used that language before, but Riure was as lost now as she had been before. Prince Gavril answered in the same.

Sadiq whined softly, and Riure tangled her fingers in her dog’s thick fur on her scruff. “Easy, Sadiq,” she whispered. “Good girl.”

———————

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @rusted-knight @rose-colored-fancy @mischievous-thwapling @wingiby-iggiby @jasmine @millennium (you still with us?)

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Jasmine
    @jasmine

I’m here! Ill try to post tomorrow.

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@rose-colored-fancy

Ooh, familiar feeling! I have a side character who’s trying to usurp Liorah’s position, and he’s doing a pretty good job of it. *Sighhh* And Sahar and Acyn of course XD Those two are everyone’s favorites XD They have fewer… issues than Liorah.

IKR!? And I always think that my main characters have too many issues, but I suppose that is what drives the story *shrugs*

XD! That was so much fun! I forgot Dancrow is a bit vain XD That actually makes it better. I wish Liorah could read his mind, she’d be so proud of being ‘the snarkiest, rudest, most impertinent, brattiest girl he’d ever met.’ Or would she be disappointed that he already has a bad opinion of her? I actually don’t know. Let’s find out!

LOL! And yes! Danny is a bit on the vain side of life, XD And btw, I love your post about Liorah!

There it was again. The familiar look of dislike.

Those two sentences really stood out to me, as did the part about folks not getting to know her too much before they were disappointed. Thought-provoking!

@this-is-not-an-alien

No wait that could be interesting. How would her good ending go if you were writing it?

Hmm, well, going off of what I know about her . . . I would make her forgive herself, and realize that we are all bad, and the only way we can be quote-and-quote “good” is to do our best to do right, which is only possible with God. I’d have her stop hiding her darkness and get it out. She would also live with Ehud and whatever other friends they have in a peaceful world where pink-glow-in-the-dark-unicorns light up all the rooms 😛

Lol that’s so funny I was giggling through this whole post 😀

LOL, thank you! 😛 And I loved your post as well! That part about good and bad people was really interesting and thought-provoking. Also, I could totally relate to flapping my arms with my hands still inside my pockets 😛 I love it when writers include realistic bits like that!

@joelle-stone

I just love how Riure puts everything together via foot-steps and sounds, as well as what the others say: “the one Princess Liorah described as a hunk of coal,” — Dan’s probably permanently branded as a hunk of coal now, XD

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

P.S

I’ll try to post soon!

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Jasmine
    @jasmine

I haven’t the foggiest idea where it comes from expect that I’m naturally a very obnoxious person with no filter…idk, Ehud’s responses come more naturally to me than for most of my characters’. I guess it’s mostly my brain making weird connections that are so weird they’re funny… Btw I loved Gwen’s reaction to Ehud’s emotional-counselor-obstinacy be like “uh no, I don’t wanna talk about it and I’m gonna go now…”

Lol. When I read ‘Ehud’s emotional-counselor-obstinacy’ reply to Gwendolyn’s demand, I had no idea how she would react. Then I started writing out her thought process and it kinda just popped up on the screen. That happens a lot for me.

I think it’s  cool how writing Ehud comes more naturally than other characters. Usually when I write I feel like I’m just writing what I would do or how I would feel (of course my feeling are wrong, because I know if I saw any of the monsters from the mirror I would scream and run for my life). I think you do a very good job of giving your characters different personalities.

FYI that last post was awsome.

Gwendolyn looked over to see Rosario walking over.

Good, it looked like they would be on the move soon. “We need to get moving now.” Rosario said as if reading Gwendolyn’s thoughts.

Rosario looked at Dancrow and her eyebrows raised in slight surprise, “Oh, I see. You’re welcome to join us…” Gwendolyn didn’t hear the rest of her sentence. She stepped around Dancrow and ducked into the passage he had come from. She wanted to scout ahead a little, see if there might be a possible exit.

As hard as she tried not to get her hopes up, hope shone through her mental block like a pinprick of light. The only thing a she wanted right now was to see the clear blue sky, get a breath of fresh air, and out of this cramped, dark, nightmare of a cave.

She drew her sword and started down the passage. Stopping every once in a wile to listen for any telltale scuffles. The only thing she heard where voices drifting from the main room and the tap of her shoes on stone.

She was only a minute down the passage when her sword clinked against hard stone, also known as the end of the passage. She sheathed her sword and felt up and down the wall for a crack, seam, or hinge. Her hands only met wet stone and the pinprick of light went dark. She reached up and tried to touch the ceiling but instead of more stone, her fingers brushed the familiar feel of worn leather. She frowned in confusion and jumped up, grasping the leather firmly in her hand and yanking the thing down. “How did that get here?” She asked herself, examining the satchel in her hand. It was her satchel from fillimere, just how she had left it. She peered at the ceiling, looking for a possible way how it might have gotten there, and tried to make sense of what was happening. She reminded herself that nothing really made sense here and slung the satchel over her good shoulder. She took her compass out of the satchel and discovered with no surprise, that the arrow didn’t work. It pointed one way only to pause as if to think before pointing another direction. The compass couldn’t seem to make up it’s mind, so she put it back and pulled out her waterskin and pouch of food. She would give them to Rosario when she got back.

She walked back towards the group down the barely lit passageway.

I wanted to give Gwendolyn a bit to work with so I threw in her satchel she packs in the future of the story.

I guess we should probably start a planning where to dump our poor characters next. Does anyone have any fun\wierd\crazy\creative ideas?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Jasmine.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Ooh! *waves hand* I do!! I had this really crazy (and actually really fun) dream a few nights ago where I was walking down this INCREDIBLY long spiral staircase, and for every stair, there was an archway. (The stairway is in like a pit or something so the openings are across a large gap, set in the stone wall). Once I managed to throw something or something into one of the doorways, and I had to fight a beast (ha ha, sound familiar?). From then on I “knew” in that funny way you do in dreams that every doorway was a trap.

Long story short, once I reached the bottom, the biggest doorway ever awaited me. (BTW, the openings got bigger, and thus more challenging if you sprang the trap, the farther down you went.) I *cough cough* foolishly daringly *cough cough* sprang the last trap, fought my way out, and opened the door at the bottom. Then there was this giant (like 60 ft tall) humanoid thing made out of red metal (have any of you seen the Madalorian? Mando’s first armor is basically what this thing was) and we became friends and I named him Gideon and he helped me to escape another bad situation later on in the dream and he was the keeper of the door that led outside and we can skip him.

Anyway, assuming all that made sense, we could do something like that, where we have lots of traps so if we “stray off the knife’s edge” as Galadriel might say we’ll get into big trouble. A really long stair, either up or down, might be cool too. 😉 Just an idea.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@jasmine,

Usually when I write I feel like I’m just writing what I would do or how I would feel (of course my feeling are wrong, because I know if I saw any of the monsters from the mirror I would scream and run for my life).

Lol, IKR?! In my dreams I’m always heroic (albeit probably a bit misled/reckless), whereas in real life if someone scares me really bad I normally fall over backwards and throw stuff at them before running away. Funny story: I used to have a room with no windows in it, so at night it was pitch black if the door was closed. One day I was going to go put my book away and my dad jumped out at me from behind the door. He scared me so bad I literally fell over backwards and threw the book at his face. Then I just lay on the ground panting and hoping my heart didn’t beat its way out of my chest. XD And, lucky me, everyone in my family (plus my mom’s dad) saw that. Heh heh. 😛

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@wingiby-iggiby,

Lol, thank you! I actually do that for fun… I think it’s fascinating how much you can tell a person/how easily you can identify a person by their footsteps. 😉

And yes, Dancrow is permanently The Hunk of Coal in my world. XD

Jasmine
    @jasmine

@joelle-stone

Lol, IKR?! In my dreams I’m always heroic (albeit probably a bit misled/reckless), whereas in real life if someone scares me really bad I normally fall over backwards and throw stuff at them before running away.

Exactly! If someone scares me in real life, my eyes get embarrassingly big, I jump a foot of the ground, and yelp like a puppy.

I’m super jumpy when its nighttime. By time I usually head upstairs to bed, everyone else is asleep and all the lights are out. I’ll walk out of the bathroom and its pitch black cause all the lights are out, then I’ll realize my sister is sitting in a corner waiting to get in and jump out of my skin.

Funny story: I used to have a room with no windows in it, so at night it was pitch black if the door was closed. One day I was going to go put my book away and my dad jumped out at me from behind the door. He scared me so bad I literally fell over backwards and threw the book at his face. Then I just lay on the ground panting and hoping my heart didn’t beat its way out of my chest

LOL, 😅 that’s a great story. You don’t have to answer, but I’m gonna ask, did you hit your dad with the book?

And, lucky me, everyone in my family (plus my mom’s dad) saw that. Heh heh.

I’ve had plenty of those moments where I do something stupid and everyone happens to be looking. Usually its my fault that everyone is looking though. Like first snow of the year when tried to get everyone to laugh by running out onto the deck and doing a goofy dance. Welp, it worked. Everyone though it was hilarious when I slipped (on accident) and fell.

I like the trap idea! Maybe we could all take turns making traps. I also like the idea of them being high-up somewhere. stairs or some kind of elevated platform maybe.

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 965 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest