fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 965 total)
  • Author
    Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

you still with us?

*makes panicked gurgling noise* AAAAHHHHHHHHHH! So infinitely sorry! *throws self at your feet, sobbing* Can thou EVER EVER find it in thine heart to forgive me? And the same with you all? *turns to everyone else, hands clasped together*

*ahem* Okay, so…that was my dramatic reaction for the night.

EVERYONE:

As I more or less said above, I’m so sorry for being away. Wow…Did I really miss this much??? I have a lot of catch up reading to do… *laughs nervously*

Cranking out worst fear thingy now. After that, I need to introduce Za–*catches self* Another character. *winks insanely at Joelle Stone*

@rose-colored-fancy
    @this-is-not-an-alien @wingiby-iggiby @jasmine @rusted-knight

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum.
    ~Author Unknown

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby

Aw, thank you so much!! I’ll definitely keep you in mind!! I’m still mostly in the development stage, but once I get the writing going, I’d really appreciate it!

Awesome! Tell me when it’s ready!

@mischievous-thwapling

As I more or less said above, I’m so sorry for being away. Wow…Did I really miss this much??? I have a lot of catch up reading to do… *laughs nervously*

That’s totally fine! Can’t wait to read the worst fears! Also, I LOVE your quote!

Gavril

While Riure and Liorah were giggling over whatever Liorah had told her about me– Liorah was never shy about strangers– A girl came up behind her. She kept in the shadows, and I couldn’t see much about her except the bow slung around her shoulder and the way she winced after hurrying up to us. Liorah hadn’t been kidding when she said everyone was hurt.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” the girl said, tapping Liorah on the shoulder. “but does he know the way out?” she asked, nodding toward me.

I narrowed my eyes but decided she hadn’t meant to be rude by not directly addressing me, even if it had sounded that way. She was probably just shy, or uncertain about… something. Judging by what had apparently happened, I didn’t blame her for being cautious.

“I’m Gavril, Liorah’s brother.”

I introduced myself before Liorah could answer. I’d learned that seeming dependant on anyone was dangerous. After Father’s death, I’d learned to speak and think for myself, especially in the council of Elders and the yearly meetings of the tribal leaders. My coronation wasn’t far away, and if anyone believed I couldn’t rule by myself, I’d end up a puppet for someone else, or worse, in a war.

“And I wish I knew.” I shrugged, then decided to elaborate. Her question was valid and deserved a full answer. I paused to formulate a good one, ordering the facts and filtering out irrelevant information. “I came in the same way as Liorah, and there seem to be at least a few exits. The problem is that the walls move, and since it’s dark, it’s almost impossible to navigate.”

I raked my hand through my hair, remembering an odd detail.

“It seems that you all have some idea that the castle is aware of us, somehow. Honestly, it’s rather far-fetched,” I raised my eyebrows at Liorah since she was visibly preparing to spit an angry answer at me. “But it seems valid. Even though it was dark, I didn’t find a single crossroad. Not one. But, even though the passage closed behind me, there was still a draft. That means the walls move, so the castle can–somehow– direct what opens and what closes.”

I took a deep breath, trying to sense if they were keeping up. Liorah seemed to understand, even though she was only half-listening. The other girl –I didn’t even know her name yet– had been listening intently, and she slowly nodded.

“So, the castle can control whether we leave or not, and it can almost certainly lead us in circles if it so chooses,” I summarized.

“Also, excuse my manners, I forgot to ask your name,” I said, formulating it as a question.

Liorah opened her mouth to answer, but I shot her a look that made her keep quiet again. If I’d wanted to hear it from Liorah, I would have asked her.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

WOW. Oh, wow. That was intense. I feel so sorry for her Poor thing! As far as I understand, her greatest fear is that she might harm Ehud, or that she’s too broken to ever be loved. Oh, goodness! Ehud held up a cat that was trying to scratch his eyes out, but for reason this idiota thinks that’s an endearing trait. Also, that was hilarious XD

Yes and it’s awful! Poor Rosy! *Rosario right behind me with a gun, me; heheh…*

I love how you’ve adopted the phrase! It’s brilliant, right? XD Another favorite is “Mafketel,” (Silly-kettle) That one is also much better when you translate it into English XD. It’s just another way of calling someone a weirdo, but it’s a really, really mild insult, so you might call your friends this teasingly. They’re honestly some of my favorite expressions XD Nada, I thought but the English for it was somewhere out of my brain. Perfect! That’s what I meant hierba mala nunca muere; bad weeds never die. Ooh, that’s cool! That’s a Dutch expression too! “Onkruid vergaat niet.”

Ikr, Ehud’s just like the cutest silly-kettle! (also he’s just so great for pushing plot bc anything I need to add all I have to say is Ehud did it and no further explanation is required like right now the plan is he stole top secret files which catalyzes the whole political intrigue bringing everyone together (at least in theory) and then he completely forgets where he put them until the end aka when its convenient for me 😛 )
    And thanks for coaching me and I love these new Dutch words!

Rosario’s fear is so sad!! I sincerely hope that at the end of your book she is comforted/healed/helped in some way! Please tell me she is, or I will have a total breakdown! (You do not want to see me have a breakdown)

Welp…it would be awful for me if Rosario wasn’t comforted/healed/helped in the end cos I very much channel the things I’m struggling with into my characters and try to figure out how to redeem them as a way to learn how to heal myself so (this is why all my characters hate me. Except Ehud. But he loves everyone. And he’s so betrayed by me!!!)…idk how yet but, she better get a good ending XD
    And…
    I just wanna say I LOVE DANCROW ALREADY!!! I can already feel so much personality in the way he talks he’s gonna be soooo fun to interact with!!!

Ehud tilted his head at the stranger who was talking to Liorah about ‘that ill-mannered horse of yours literally shoved me inside.’ Gwendolyn blinked at him and he turned back to her hopefully.
    “Um…no.” She sounded both weirded out and very firm on her stance. Ehud pouted while she stared up at the new person.
    “Abandon all hope ye who enter here!” Ehud yelled at them dramatically
    “I’ll be back.” Gwendolyn said ignoring him. By the time she had reached them Ehud was grumbling to Sprinkles (the pony) with exaggerated sass.
    “Because I’m a puppy and I need to stay while all the grownups go and do grownup things and I just sit here and wait for her to ‘be back’. I know, right? Nobody ever listens to either of us and–” He halted in midsentence as Rosario stirred awake. “Welp nobody’s actually sleeping here!”

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

(also he’s just so great for pushing plot bc anything I need to add all I have to say is Ehud did it and no further explanation is required like right now the plan is he stole top secret files which catalyzes the whole political intrigue bringing everyone together (at least in theory) and then he completely forgets where he put them until the end aka when its convenient for me

LOL! That’s hilarious! It’s so completely in character! XD

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Someone was coming. Light footsteps, quicker than usual, so probably a female, since they tended to have shorter legs. Judging from the quick hiss of air drawn through barely open lips, Riure assumed this person was hurt. Painfully so.

“Abandon all hope ye who enter here!” Ehud hollered from what Riure guessed to be the center of the room.

She burst out laughing. “It’s not that bad, Ehud.” It was hard to speak with her stomach contracting with her laughter.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” the approaching person said, ignoring Ehud. Yep, female. Sounded like the one who defended Riure’s ledge while she tried to laugh her head off. “But does he know the way out?

“I’m Gavril, Liorah’s brother,” the prince answered quickly. “And I wish I knew.” Fabric moved, indicating he was using some sort of body language Riure couldn’t discern. There was a pause, thick with thought. “I came in the same way as Liorah, and there seem to be at least a few exits. The problem is that the walls move, and since it’s dark, it’s almost impossible to navigate. It seems that you all have some idea that the castle is aware of us, somehow. Honestly, it’s rather far-fetched.”

Liorah was tense, angry even, beside Riure. Although she couldn’t be sure, Riure thought Liorah was inhaling to say something.

“But it seems valid,” Prince Gavril continued. “Even though it was dark, I didn’t find a single crossroad. Not one. But, even though the passage closed behind me, there was still a draft. That means the walls move, so the castle can–somehow– direct what opens and what closes.”

That was somehow insanely crazy and insanely scary and insanely understandable. Riure smiled.

“So, the castle can control whether we leave or not, and it can almost certainly lead us in circles if it so chooses,” Prince Gavril finished. “Also, excuse my manners, I forgot to ask your name.”

Ooh, that was clever. Riure had never liked having to ask people’s names, although it was much worse asking them to describe themselves.

Sadiq whined softly, and Riure knelt down to pat her head. Her dog struggled into a sitting position, so Riure let her fingers assess Sadiq’s wounds. They were healing rapidly, very rapidly. Either the Mysterious Man’s medicine was very strong or this was just another riddle of “Lord Castle”.

Cocking her head, Riure waited for the girl to answer. She wanted to know this herself.

————————–

@jasmine

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

*winks back with the left eye, then the right eye* Yurp!! Za- that person shall find his/herself in much conflubberation when he/she comes. 😛

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@mischievous-thwapling

*Picks you up off the floor and hands you ice-cream, saying, ‘it seems we always eat ice-cream when we run into each other on here,’ and then, ‘if you really don’t want to have to read all of that, I can give you a short summary!’*

SHORT SUMMARY:

All our characters have been lounging about in the tunnel after the fight. Wylo and Kiark are gone, and now Gavril, Liorah’s brother, has arrived. That’s about it. There you go. Really, I’m not kidding. 😛

@rose-colored-fancy

Awesome! Tell me when it’s ready!

Sure thing, thanks! 😉

@this-is-not-an-alien

Welp…it would be awful for me if Rosario wasn’t comforted/healed/helped in the end cos I very much channel the things I’m struggling with into my characters and try to figure out how to redeem them as a way to learn how to heal myself so (this is why all my characters hate me. Except Ehud. But he loves everyone. And he’s so betrayed by me!!!)…idk how yet but, she better get a good ending XD
    And…

Then you had  better give her a good ending — and pronto, otherwise I will be forced to!! 😛

I just wanna say I LOVE DANCROW ALREADY!!! I can already feel so much personality in the way he talks he’s gonna be soooo fun to interact with!!!

Thank you! 😀

DANCROW CART

In five minutes they will detonate. I can feel my heart pounding with excitement.

I fly out of the boxcar and land in a crouch on the ground, then pop up again and take off in a burst of dust. Louis is on my heels as we rush past Graas, who just has time to signal to Candy with his little mirror. Tamp and Excel pull up beside me and Jicky sprints ahead to open the gate as we stampede out of the trainyard. I huff like a locomotive, the cold air burning my lungs. My legs are on fire. I don’t ever run if I can help it, but right now my feet are pounding the ground like a racehorse’s.

Just several more yards till cover.

We reach the junk-pile, dancing around barrels and crates and stepping over pots and pans. I collapse behind a rusty old pickup truck, leaning against one of its tires, my chest heaving. But after only a second, I am on my feet again, peeing through the broken windows back toward the trainyard, a few hundred yards away. The others crowd around and I hear Graas counting down slowly, watching the little hand on his watch. I can hear my heart thumping in my ears. I can’t believe it. Our biggest one yet.

Three minutes.

Two minutes.

One minute.

Thirty seconds.

“Tech, lep, capro,” Graas is counting in his native Deprieme, but soon we join him in Karodvian. “Seven, six, five, four, three, two, ONE!” we all but whoop.

Nothing happens.

Several seconds pass. My throat is dry, and it ain’t from the running. I know I’m scowling, and so are the others. Did we really just plan all that to —

BOOM! BOOM!

A sound like a thousand firecrackers and a hundred bombs snaps the air and I can feel it reverberating in my ears and bouncing my brain inside my head. I stagger backwards in surprise and my heart drops. Right before our eyes the boxcars explode into a show of flames, red and yellow shooting into the air, an ugly contrast to the soft lavender of the moon’s light. It looks like a giant built a campfire in the middle of Fancho, and it crackles and pops just like one.

Slowly I turn to look at my friends, and their eyes are wider than saucers in their soot smeared faces. Then suddenly we are shouting and jumping and clapping each other on the backs and waving caps and dancing weird shanties. It’s pure joy, and I don’t even care that I look like a total idiot.

I do an exploding fist bump with Jicky, complete with sound effects, just before I lose all consciousness.

My eyes fly open (I can’t ever wake up gradually). For a second, however, I wonder why I’m not seeing anything. The flash from that explosion wasn’t that bright, was it? Then I blink several times, yelp, and smash my head into something hard above me.

My eyes open for the second time, but this time, I keep my panic inside me by gulping a huge mouthful of air. After several deep breaths, I frantically start feeling around. I barely have room to turn over. Am I in a coffin? How did this happen? What in tarnation is this?

“Hold your horses, Danny boy.”

There is space down by my feet, so I squirm that way. Suddenly, however, there isn’t anything else to squirm onto I discover as soon as I drop and land hard on my bottom, right on a rock meant just for me. I can’t help but cry out. It’s worse than that time I fell in front of all the girls at the roller rink.

Standing up, I look about me as I rub my throbbing behind. I’m in a dark tunnel, but some soft light is coming from a bend to my left. I look up and see the strange cleft I was stuck in. The wall is slick; it would be quite a scramble to get back up there. So I look around at all the reddish rock. I feel the dampness in the air. I smell the murkiness. I pat my side, and feel my hand-gun. Good. I check my pockets; everything’s there.

Then I stand, all shaky and scared, unable to think.

Or maybe I’m just unable to think clearly.

Why am I here? How did this happen? Is this a dream? Folks in movies always pinch themselves….

I pinch my arm and conclude painfully that it is not a dream.

So… what is it!?! What is what? What just happened, am I sleeping, is somebody playing a trick on me, am I dead?

I can’t organize my thoughts; they just race all over. So I take a deep breath. This is insane, Danny. But insane or not, I can’t just stand here. I must head toward the light; that is how guys always get out of things in books and shows.

“Then, of course, there is always something to block them from it,” I say dryly. I fiercely want to apply logic to this, but I can’t, and thinking about it makes my brain hurt and makes me want to freak out again. Usually I am calm in most circumstances, but this does not fall under most circumstances.

I creep along the tunnel, very slowly, still running things over in my mind. The wall is cold and clammy, smeared with slimy red clay. I pretend not to feel the centipede scampering over my hand as I place it on the wall to steady myself. I come to the turn, and see another tunnel. But I actually can’t see the tunnel, because I’m staring at someone’s backside. I stop short in shock.

There are muffled voices coming from the tunnel. I kneel down and peek between the fellow’s legs, wondering why the voices are so muted. Oh, I’m staring through a sheet of one-way glass.

I’m not a superstitious fellow. I don’t take tall-tales seriously. I take miracles as coincidences. I don’t believe in magic and I don’t believe in fate.

But I do believe in overactive imagination, and that, apparently, it’s to where I have fallen, because only somebody with a vivid imagination could contrive a prank like this.

It makes no sense, but none of this makes sense. Suddenly, I just want to turn around, run down the tunnel, slide myself into the coffin-slit and go to sleep to see if I’ll wake back up and be home. I very nearly do so before stopping myself.

No, that wouldn’t work. Logic.

Yeah, like all of this is logical at all?

I very nearly scream.

So, I decide, that, even if this is completely illogical, I will apply what logic I can to it. I tap on the glass, frantically trying to think of something to say as I see the boy/teen/man turn around.

I think I’ll just wait for him to figure out how to move the glass, actually.

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Jasmine
    @jasmine

*throws forum door open and bursts into room* “I’m back! I made i–” *Stops talking realizing everyone is staring at me like I’m crazy* “uh…sorry to interrupt. I was..um. Hi. I’m back.”  *waves awkwardly*

“I’m Gavril, Liorah’s brother.”  the man said. Gwendolyn turned quickly to face Gavril, realizing she should have addressed him upfront and not asked Liorah.

Great first impression, Gwen.

“And I wish I knew.”   Gavril said. “I came in the same way as Liorah, and there seemed to be at least a few exits. The problem is that the walls move, and since it’s dark, it’s almost impossible to navigate.”

Gwendolyn’s stomach dropped. So much for that  plan. It sounded like they would need to find a different way out.

Gavril raked his hand through his hair.“It seems that you all have some idea that the castle is aware of us, somehow. Honestly, it’s rather far-fetched, But it seems valid. Even though it was dark, I didn’t find a single crossroad. Not one. But, even though the passage closed behind me, there was still a draft. That means the walls move, so the castle can–somehow– direct what opens and what closes. So, the castle can control whether we leave or not, and it can almost certainly lead us in circles if it so chooses,”

So it was back to square on. Find a way out of the living maze without being eaten. Great.

“Also, excuse my manners, I forgot to ask your name,” Garvil said in a way that was more a question.

“You can call me Gwen,” she replied somewhat awkwardly, wishing she had introduced herself to him instead of creeping up to Liorah like a shy toddler and avoiding his attention.

“Sorry, we’ve been trying to get out of here for a wile. I thought you might know the way out.”

But he didn’t. Now what should they do? She saw that Rosario was awake now so they would probably be moving soon, now that everyone was awake. Maybe they could force a exit? She opened her mouth to suggest they do so but snapped it shut recalling the last time they had tried that.

“Did you see anyone or anything else before you found us?” She asked Gavril.

@wingiby-iggiby

FYI I really liked your last post. I’m looking forward to “meeting” your  new character.🙂

@this-is-not-an-alien

“Abandon all hope ye who enter here!” Ehud yelled at them dramatically
    “I’ll be back.” Gwendolyn said ignoring him. By the time she had reached them Ehud was grumbling to Sprinkles (the pony) with exaggerated sass.
    “Because I’m a puppy and I need to stay while all the grownups go and do grownup things and I just sit here and wait for her to ‘be back’. I know, right? Nobody ever listens to either of us and–”

That was so funny! How do you think of that stuff to write? I almost died laughing!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Jasmine.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby

Awesome post! I can’t wait to learn more about Dancrow!

Gavril

You can call me Gwen,” she said, sounding embarrassed. Apparently, she’d realized that she’d sinned against ettiquete. I smiled, trying to make it clear that I didn’t mind.

“Sorry, we’ve been trying to get out of here for a while. I thought you might know the way out.” Gwen said, apologetically. She hesitated, opened her mouth to say something, and changed her mind.

“Did you see anyone or anything else before you found us?” She asked,

“Only the biggest bugs I’ve ever seen, otherwise, no,” I said,

As though to contradict me, a sharp tap came from behind me. I spun around, startled, only to face my reflection. The tapping had come from behind a pane of highly reflective glass. I peered through it, trying to figure out if I had imagined it. I thought I saw a faint glimpse of motion, but it might have been my imagination.

“Oh no. Nonono. Don’t break that,” Liorah said. She tried to pull me away from the glass but I shook her off.

“Someone’s trapped behind there,” I said.

“That’s the problem, last time something was behind one of those, we all ended up hurt. We’re not doing that again.” She said, stubbornly.

“Don’t you think if it were dangerous it would have broken through by now?” I asked, examining the glass. It was mounted to the wall with a wooden frame nailed to the stone. I drew my dagger and wrenched it between the nails.

Liorah huffed and crossed her arms, out-argued but not convinced. Why was she always so stubborn?

I pried at the nails, and they came loose, but so slowly I was close to giving up.

“For goodness sake, if you’re going to do something stupid, do it properly,” Liorah said, impatiently. “Just break the glass!”

“If I did, the glass would spray onto whoever’s behind there. In my opinion, that sounds painful,” I said, not even looking up from my work.

Liorah sighed dramatically, drew her dagger, and started on the other side. It seemed to take an eternity, but we finally got it loose. I carefully lowered the glass to the ground. There were more than enough injuries already.

The newcomer was a man dressed in black. He peered around, startled and apprehensive, as was to be expected.

Liorah was the first to break the awkward silence.

“Ummmm, welcome, I suppose. You can die with us if you like,” She said, sarcastically.

Hey y’all, so sorry if this posts twice. I’m having some trouble with my computer and it deleted this message twice already. Technology! *Dramatic sigh*

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@jasmine

*throws forum door open and bursts into room* “I’m back! I made i–” *Stops talking realizing everyone is staring at me like I’m crazy* “uh…sorry to interrupt. I was..um. Hi. I’m back.”  *waves awkwardly*

*runs over and hugs you “yay!!! I’m not the only one who is really super awkward in these situations!!!! Like I’m being right now!!!! Welcome to the club!!!”*

FYI I really liked your last post. I’m looking forward to “meeting” your  new character.🙂

Thank you! 😀 I can’t wait to see how Dan interacts with Gwen and all of y’all too, LOL

@rose-colored-fancy

Awesome post! I can’t wait to learn more about Dancrow!

Thanks! And your last post really showed how different Gavril and Liorah are, yet how they really go so well together; if you know what I mean! XD

DANCROW CART

After tapping rather timidly, I admit, on the glass, the guy turns around and peers at it suspiciously. There are, I can see now, a couple of girls with him, and suddenly my appearance is the most important thing to me in the moment.

I spit on my hand and try to slick back my wild hair, then remember my face. It is completely black. Excel had handed around a little container of soot to smear our faces so as to conceal the shine of our skin. I know, from having looked at the rest of the gang, that all you can see are the eerie whites of my eyes.

“Dag Wrasts! (great warblers!)” I exclaim. Well, there’s nothing I can do about it. The guy and the girl — they look somewhat alike, siblings? — are working at the glass sheet with daggers. Hmmm, daggers? Come to think of it, now that I am at least slightly calmer, I see that they are dressed rather oddly. Like traveling desert people from the desert plains in the country of Nickiv, the kind I saw in the cinema two years ago. I shake my head, unable to comprehend it all. I wonder what they are doing in here, anyhow. It looks like a cave.

Part of me wants to try pushing on the glass to help, but I don’t know if that would make them think I was aggressive. I also push back the desire to keep a hand on my gun; they don’t seem aggressive themselves — in fact, they are bickering.

Finally, the glass comes loose and the guy lowers it to the ground. I realize that I am standing there like a total idiot, staring. Then the girl says,

““Ummmm, welcome, I suppose. You can die with us if you like.”

I clear my throat, my usually quick mind at a loss. Nice welcoming committee. Then I can’t help but think of what they’re thinking about me, and the corner of my mouth draws up into a lopsided grin. “Howdy, names Cart. Dancrow Cart.” I hold out my hand, then glance at my black palm and draw it across my shirt before putting it back out again. “Nice costume,” I say, looking the guy up and down. “And where exactly am I? I have no idea how I got here, so I can’t tell you, but I do know that I would like to get out.”

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Wingiby Iggiby. Reason: Forgot to blockquote something, *sigh*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby

And your last post really showed how different Gavril and Liorah are, yet how they really go so well together; if you know what I mean! XD

Thank you! Yeah, Gavril is a lot more careful and considerate XD I find it kind of funny that he’s much closer to the stereotypical ‘hero’ character, but Liorah’s the main character. She’s just more… interesting? XD

Liorah

I barely stifled a snicker when I saw the man’s face was smeared with soot. He looked bewildered for a second, then cleared his throat and grinned.

“Howdy, name’s Cart. Dancrow Cart.” He held out his hand to Gavril, noticed it was dirty, and clumsily wiped it on his black clothing. Gavril took it and smiled, confident as usual.

“Nice costume,” Dancrow said, looking Gavril up and down. I scowled. Well, that was rude, especially coming from a man who looked as though he’d crawled out of a coal mine. Gavril didn’t miss a beat and grinned, not in the least offended. Or he was good at hiding it. Our tribe should be grateful he was the crown prince and not me.

Before Gavril could reply, Dancrow continued,

“And where exactly am I? I have no idea how I got here, so I can’t tell you, but I do know that I would like to get out.”

I snorted.

“Welcome to our world. We’re trapped in goodness-knows-where, none of us seem to come from the same country, and none of us know how we ended up here.” I reconsidered my statement and glanced at Gavril. “Except us, and we can’t find the exit.”

Gavril was on the point of interrupting me but I spoke right through it.

“And about costumes, I must admit I admire yours. I’ve seldom seen someone imitate a chunk of coal so well. Dan-crow is quite the apt name.

“Liorah! Manners,” Gavril said, shocked.

“Manners are for diplomats and crown princes,” I said, pointedly.

“You’re going to cause a war one day by being sarcastic to the wrong person,” Gavril said, exasperated.

He turned back to Dancrow and tried to neutralize my first impression.

“I’m Gavril, and that is my sister, Liorah,” he said, with a sigh.

I grinned. I enjoyed annoying Gavril. It was something I’d become quite good at.

________

Okay, I can’t wait to see how Dancrow reacts to that! XD Liorah seems bent on making enemies XD

Jasmine
    @jasmine

My post isn’t showing up on my screen. I don’t know if its working on your guy’s end so I’m trying to post and see if it loads it.

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@rose-colored-fancy

Thank you! Yeah, Gavril is a lot more careful and considerate XD I find it kind of funny that he’s much closer to the stereotypical ‘hero’ character, but Liorah’s the main character. She’s just more… interesting? XD

Its best to have the most interesting characters as the main ones, though, otherwise your side characters will take over the story, LOL! I have to keep watching myself on that XD, since my side characters tend to be a bit uh . . . . wild. 😛

@jasmine

*hugs you back* Lol “let’s call it the embarrassingly awkward club!”

*”AWESOME!!! Only the greatest weirdos in the world will be allowed here.” stops, then blushes. “Not that we are the greatest weirdos in the world, actually.” Stops again, completely confused, then shrugs and decides she’s just living up to the name.*

DANCROW CART

The guy took my hand and shook it confidently. I could tell I would like him already, especially since he didn’t seem to mind my ugly appearance.

Then the girl opened her mouth.

“Welcome to our world. We’re trapped in goodness-knows-where, none of us seem to come from the same country, and none of us know how we ended up here.” She glanced at the guy. “Except us, and we can’t find the exit.”

The guy was about to break into her torrent when she kept on going.

“And about costumes, I must admit I admire yours. I’ve seldom seen someone imitate a chunk of coal so well. Dan-crow is quite the apt name.“

My eyes widened, and I must have looked zombie-like. HOW DARE SHE SAY THAT! I haven’t ever met a girl that snarky and rude. The only girl who would dare to say something like that to me is my sis. And how dare she make fun of my name! I’ve lived my whole life with my name as the butt of all the jokes. What an impertinent, bratty, sic ne takrao! My muscles tense as I prepare to hurl back an equally devastating insult; no matter that she is a girl. She sure doesn’t act like she wants to be treated as one.

“Welcome to cripple’s cave. You might be stuck here for a wile. We’ve been trying to get out. Your welcome to join us in our quest for the exit of the living maze.” It’s the other girl. I jerk out of my thoughts and turn to her. What does she mean by living cave?? Well, at least she is nice. I’m thankful.

“He he,” I chuckle nervously. “Thanks, and thanks for being decent, too.”

“I’m Gavril, and that is my sister, Liorah,” the guy has turned back to me, and he sighs despondently.

He obviously doesn’t approve of his sister, but he probably wouldn’t like me insulting her. I’d best stay on the right side of things, so I grin. My teeth are probably blinding against the black of my face, but I don’t care.

“Well, my lady, I’m glad you like it. A hunk of coal is what I was trying to imitate, actually. I’m glad it is effective. When you are creeping through dark train-yards to blow up the cargo of enemy soldiers, it would be best to look like coal.” Then I literally, actually, bite my tongue to keep from adding some unsavory compliment. I taste sweet blood.

*************************************************************************************************

Okay, I loved reacting to that!!!! 😀

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@jasmine

Hmmm, I saw your post, but then it disappeared! I’m sorry!

Jasmine
    @jasmine

@wingiby-iggiby

Thanks for telling me! I’m just going try to re-posting it.

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 965 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest