@the-inkspiller
Active 3 years, 10 months ago-
E. Grace replied to the topic May 2019 Accountability in the forum Accountability & Achievements 7 years, 4 months ago
@hope-ann @mlbolangerauthor @lady-frosttongue @sarah-inkdragon @devastate-lasting @sageinthemeadow @enu @the-inkspiller @filewriter @princess-foo @catwing @kelly-lundgren @allison-grace @sarah-narnathron @ajaj2000 @warrenluther04 @lydia-writes @seekjustice @rose-noblescroll @thetessinator @briannajean @norella-novik @morreafirebird @karthmin
How…[Read more]
-
Martin Detwiler started the topic Week 11: Writing Life: Why You Should Write Outside (Daeus Lamb) in the forum Weekly Theme Discussion 7 years, 4 months ago
Good evening, Ereki!
We have another discussion topic for this week, and I am personally quite interested in your answers to this one. Here’s what Daeus wrote for us:
Why to write outside
Iโm writing this post outside. The sun is shining, and some trees provide shade. The stream is full and bubbling and a wind stirs the leaves.
Have I c…[Read more]
-
Princess Foo replied to the topic Prompt War: Second Person in the forum Announcements 7 years, 4 months ago
Sooooo, remember when I said ideally we would be finished writing the story Friday night, but it looks like that wasn’t going to happen? Well it happened! The story is complete! *confetti* *spaghetti* *lasagna* It needs a lot of editing, but it’s done!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/171Gru1irPQhCI7YI3TgaTGPlRf5pxWra5eC-jpfhOJQ/edit
If you…[Read more]
-
Princess Foo replied to the topic Prompt War: Second Person in the forum Announcements 7 years, 4 months ago
Good news! @karthmin got busy and wrote a bunch last night! We are now at ~1800 words and at the climax. The reason for this update is that we are at a crossroads. Karthmin and I proposed two alternate endings at the end of the doc. (His is in bold, and mine is in the comments.) We have the potential to be done writing by tonight, which would be…[Read more]
-
Princess Foo replied to the topic Prompt War: Second Person in the forum Announcements 7 years, 4 months ago
I’m back! *bows as confetti rains from the sky* And… we are a wee bit behind schedule. Ideally, we would be finished writing tomorrow, but we currently only have either 164 words of basic set-up or 1200 words of less basic set-up, depending on if we want to cut out most of that set up as some people planned. The deadline is Sunday night.
I’m…[Read more]
-
EricaWordsmith replied to the topic The Best of Writing Music. Any Thoughts? in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 4 months ago
HOWARD SHORE AND JOHN POWELL!!!!!!!!!! Love those guys!!!!!!!!! *Shivers*
Yes, I agree. I have a ton of music that just “fits” certain scenes.ย Thy Will is one that for some reason has been helpful to me, and a few instrumental songs from Transiberian Orchestra.
For fantasy I generally use Howard Shore, John Powell, Narnia…[Read more]
-
Martin Detwiler replied to the topic Weekly Wonderings in the forum Erekdale Writing Discussions 7 years, 4 months ago
@catwing I genuinely enjoyed reading that. Your imagination is one of a kind. XD
+++
Well, it really seemed like that question was a bit of a hit, so I’ll keep hitting on something that a lot of us brought up in our answers to last week’s question:
What is the craziest dream you have ever had?
If you want to elaborate, talk about the level of…[Read more]
-
Martin Detwiler started the topic Week 10: Writing Life; Connecting with Local Writers (Brandon Miller) in the forum Weekly Theme Discussion 7 years, 4 months ago
Posting Brandon’s discussion piece without any of my own comments because of the time. Apologies for getting this out so late. Good way to start a Tuesday morning, though! ๐
+++
Even though I donโt fit in with the introverted, agoraphobic, germaphobic writer stereotype (see Alex Rover from โNimโs Islandโ), I have to agree with them on one thi…[Read more]
-
Martin Detwiler replied to the topic Short Story Contest #2 Critique Request in the forum Critiques 7 years, 4 months ago
@the-inkspiller Jumping in on this conversation without having yet read the story, I will say that I have run into the same issue of changing canon after the fact with my short story Endbringer. The way it is published now, it’s basically a bare-bones myth that pales in comparison to the context and bigness of the world that has grown up around it.
-
Kelly Lundgren replied to the topic Short Story Contest #2 Critique Request in the forum Critiques 7 years, 4 months ago
@the-inkspiller Ah that makes a lot of sense.
1. I’ve had to deal with that problem recently- I published a short story in a contest then decided to expand it to a novel. My novel’s canon is very different from the short story’s canon. It depends on whether you are comfortable having published versions of your own alternate canon floating around…[Read more]
-
E. Grace replied to the topic May 2019 Accountability in the forum Accountability & Achievements 7 years, 4 months ago
@devastate-lastingย Awesome! That’s so great. ๐
@karthmin Yeah… I know what it’s like to have a week like that.ย Maybe try again this week, huh? ๐
How did everyone else’s goals go? I think mine went… okay… I got most of them done, anyway.ย And I felt like I was pretty productive this week in general, so that satisfies me. ๐
What are yo…[Read more]
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic Short Story Contest #2 Critique Request in the forum Critiques 7 years, 4 months ago
@the-inkspiller I’ll try to get to your story this coming week ๐
-
Corine replied to the topic Question: What the Dickens is True Love? in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 4 months ago
Hello ๐ Thought I’d add my own two cents to this question.
First off, MASSIVE question and I don’t think anyone can really understand all these nuances properly.
As @princess-foo and @the-inkspiller have said, marriage is meant to be an image of Christ and His Church and His utmost devotion to her.
I think God, in His omnipotence, knows who we…[Read more]
-
valtmy replied to the topic For All The Historical Fictioners in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 4 months ago
Welcome to this thread on all things historical.
Just know that somewhere out there, there is someone whose job is to scoop up and collect nightingale poop. ๐
-
Princess Foo replied to the topic Prompt War: Second Person in the forum Announcements 7 years, 4 months ago
It is time to draw our swords/pens and begin battle in earnest! We are ready to start writing! Thank you 3000 to everyone who offered to writeโI was worried that @karthmin would be writing it himself, but several people have volunteered to help. Thank you! That said, if you haven’t yet volunteered to write but want to, or find yourself with a s…[Read more]
-
Princess Foo replied to the topic Question: What the Dickens is True Love? in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 4 months ago
@h-jones This is a really loaded question. I think I have some answers, but I’m not sure they are adequate to cover “the mysteries of love”.
First, as @the-inkspiller said, marriage specifically is a reflection of Christ and the church. Ephesians 5:22-33 says, “Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband…[Read more]
-
Princess Foo replied to the topic Prompt War: Second Person in the forum Announcements 7 years, 4 months ago
We got a lot done on chat last night. We worked out the style, tone and problem of our story. To sum it all up: ย The story will be told like it is a video game, although the fact that it is a game is not directly mentioned.
Ready? Letโs begin.
<You approach the testing chamber. [Description placeholder because it will take me too long to come up…
-
Filewriter posted an update 7 years, 4 months ago
Hey, guys! Sorry, I haven’t been very active in the guild AT ALL lately. I’ve decided to go on hiatus from Story Embers for a little while. I figured out that I’ve just committed to too many things and I’m having trouble with doing them all. So, while Story Embers is really important to me, it’s also one of the things that I’ll be giving up. For a…[Read more]
-
Aw, we’ll miss you, File!
-
You’ll be missed my friend, but I understand. Enjoy your break! I shall await your return. *hands you feathers for your journey* Until we meet again. :3
-
Hey, mate it’s okay. Do what you have to do ๐
-
Aw, well I’ll miss you! Thanks for being awesome. ๐
-
Darn, I get back from a hiatus to find friends going on a hiatus. (Wait what’s the plural form of hiatus? *hmm*)
We’ll all miss you, but I understand that sometimes, breaks are necessary! See you soon! ๐
-
-
Martin Detwiler replied to the topic Weekly Wonderings in the forum Erekdale Writing Discussions 7 years, 5 months ago
Oi. Thanks for the reminder, @catwing!
So, first off, I think I’ll post the link to the google doc every week, so it’s really easy to access and fresh in people’s memories. (The google doc for asking questions, that is.)
But until I get more questions in there, I’ll keep asking you guys a question each week.
How vivid is your imagination?ย
To…[Read more]
-
Martin Detwiler replied to the topic Injustice in a Story in the forum Erekdale Writing Discussions 7 years, 5 months ago
@the-inkspiller I think one of the most important things you can do to make sure your readers don’t feel like your character arcs all follow the same formula is to, well, make sure they don’t all follow the same formula. XD But even if you have a large number of main characters become redeemed, I think one way that you can make this profound and…[Read more]
- Load More












