-
Brandon Miller started the topic 2018 Week 4 – Switching Lists in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 8 years, 4 months ago
Hey everybody!
Before I get to the activity, I have a few announcements:
1) My fam is on vacation this week so this is the last you’ll hear from me. Lucky for ya’ll, the fabulous @Rolena-Hatfield had agreed to be acting guildmaster in my stead. (So hey, I guess you’re going to be rolling with her own personal brand of tyranny this week. I di…[Read more] -
Inkling-for-Christ started the topic How can I find MY Genre? in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 4 months ago
Hey,
So I was asked recently “What genre do you write?” I said Dystopian. Later I realized that dystopian is a type not a genre. I’ve been dabbling and I know mystery and fantasy aren’t my gig, so how can I find what genre fits…[Read more]
-
Brandon Miller started the topic Word War! in the forum Announcements 8 years, 4 months ago
Hey everybody!
Who plans on writing this week? (That should be all of you.) We’ve got a chance to snatch the guild war crown from Avensbeck. That’s right, another prompt. However this time around, instead of writing off a prompt, we’re going to all work on our on WIPs.
Ladies, gentlemen, members of Rillumen all, I welcome you to our first word…[Read more] -
Brandon Miller started the topic 2018 Week 3 – The Unique but Specific in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 8 years, 4 months ago
Hey Everybody, it’s another week!
However, since I posted last week’s topic really late (shame on me and my cow, I know), not all of you got to it. And *spoileralert* our next week activity relies heavily on this week, SO
If you didn’t do last week’s activity, give it a shot this week. If you did, do it again in the same room. I want to pus…[Read more]
-
Mariposa Aristeo replied to the topic Calling All WordPress Users! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 4 months ago
@quinn-ofallon Thank you for your advice! 🙂 I’m not exactly the most techy person so I totally understand the whole learning curve (thankfully I have a good friend who’s a whiz with computer stuff so they help me when I get in a jam 😅).
@josiah Wow, thanks for the great advice! 😃 I’m strongly leaning toward Bluehost because I’ve heard more abo…[Read more]
-
Brandon Miller started the topic 2018 Week 2 – Finding Details in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 8 years, 4 months ago
Hey Everybody,
Made it one week in before I fell behind. Yay go me. 😛
Alright, anyway, this week’s challenge.
Writing description is a delicate balance of providing enough details to create a picture, while moving on to the actual story fast enough to keep from boring the reader. One critically important method of doing this is finding si…[Read more]
-
Sir Leeds replied to the topic Ghosts (poem) in the forum Critiques 8 years, 4 months ago
<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks for the feedback @quinn-ofallon !</p>
Do you think “Grandma’s House” or “Grandma’s Ghost” would make for better titles? If not, do you have any other ideas for me?And I can see what you mean about the first part being kind of bland. What do you think about cutting the first line and the Lazarus line out…[Read more]
-
Holly C replied to the topic My Three Aunts (Short Story) in the forum Critiques 8 years, 4 months ago
@quinn-ofallon Thanks! Ah, that makes sense. This confirms what I was starting to think about the dialogue… it was pretty bland. I’ll try to rewrite it sometime and really put myself into my characters heads. Thank you so much for taking time to check out this story and critique it! 😀
-
Kayla Joy replied to the topic A Declaration of War in the forum Announcements 8 years, 4 months ago
Ok everyone. Tomorrow is the day we have to hand our story in. Get your votes in or it will be decided by those of us who have voted…[Read more]
-
Violet replied to the topic A Declaration of War in the forum Announcements 8 years, 5 months ago
@brandon-miller When I think of a sunset, I think of the old saying,
“Red in the morning, sailors warning. Red at night, sailors delight.”
It makes me thing of dedication; Working sun up to sun down.
@quinn-ofallon I like your idea. If it’s an Israelite battle, we could refer to Joshua 10, which is titled ” The sun Stands still”.
<p st…[Read more] -
Rachel Rogers replied to the topic Help! My Story is Misbehaving in the forum Themes 8 years, 5 months ago
@quinn-ofallon Theme and “the moral of the story…” is not really my area, but it does sound like some other people had really great ideas. One thing I would add that might help you narrow it down is that you should always ask yourself why the point of the story is vitally important to your character(s) and how they, specifically, can be the…[Read more]
-
Rachel Rogers replied to the topic 2018 Week 1 – Description in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 8 years, 5 months ago
@quinn-ofallon That’s a good idea, because my squirrel characters do understand English (it gets too weird if you don’t blur the line between imagination and reality somewhere). I just took the empty coffee shop thing literally and didn’t consider my options. 😛 BUT…that still leaves me with the question of how I deal with wild animals in human…[Read more]
-
Brandon Miller started the topic A Declaration of War in the forum Announcements 8 years, 5 months ago
Don’t let it be said that we were the aggressors here; Rillumen is the last guild to enter the conflict. However, our honor must be upheld. To war we go.
Yesterday, our rival guilds New Wessex and Avensbeck began a war which we must now join. The first battle is to be fought this week, through long nights and crammed lunch breaks. Want to hel…[Read more]
-
Emma Starr replied to the topic 2018 Week 1 – Description in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 8 years, 5 months ago
@quinn-ofallon I loved your description! I could feel the atmosphere while not getting info dumped. 😉 (and your adjectives are perfection)
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic My character is blind. Is my story doomed? in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
@josiah thanks! XD I wrote a rough draft in October, and the chapters where she was blind were…interesting, to say the least, so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t entirely crazy 😛
@quinn-ofallon thank you! I’m really considering working on it again soon 😀
@sam-kowal hm, I’ll have to check that out. My biggest concern is how to get the reader…[Read more]
-
Josiah DeGraaf replied to the topic Help! My Story is Misbehaving in the forum Themes 8 years, 5 months ago
@quinn-ofallon Audrey & the Invizible Man have some good recommendations on this front. My general advice on themes is to think about really difficult, open-ended questions about the topic. For your specific story, perhaps a good question would be: “How long should you stay loyal to someone?” or “How should you figure out who you can trust?”
Once…[Read more]
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic Help! My Story is Misbehaving in the forum Themes 8 years, 5 months ago
@quinn-ofallon Ooh, that’s a nice theme! Lots of fun potential there with possible betrayals 😉
Hm… what about:
– who deserves our loyalty?
– what does it mean to be loyal?
– how far should our loyalty extend? (i.e. to the point of killing someone?)
– why is loyalty necessary?
– what must we do to gain the loyalty of others?
I really love…[Read more]
-
TheInviZibleMan replied to the topic Help! My Story is Misbehaving in the forum Themes 8 years, 5 months ago
@quinn-ofallon How about:
Should you stay more loyal towards family over boss/ruler/king/emperor? (Or vice-versa)
Does staying loyal matter, or is it right for one to be constantly changing sides?
What determines what side you are loyal to? Is it money, debt, power, revenge, blood, faith?
Hope this helps
-
TheInviZibleMan replied to the topic Help! My Story is Misbehaving in the forum Themes 8 years, 5 months ago
@quinn-ofallon By “focusing question/message”, do you mean the story’s moral? If so, maybe “Why does being/staying loyal matter?”
-
WarrenLuther04 replied to the topic Help! My Story is Misbehaving in the forum Themes 8 years, 5 months ago
@quinn-ofallon That sounds like an interesting story! I like your theme! I’m a bit confused, but I think that it’s just because I am currently tired from school/a Scout campout. What do you mean by question/message? Could you give me your story outline? I think that that might help me help you. (That probably made no sense… 😀 )
I understand…[Read more]
- Load More












