fb

How can I find MY Genre?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions How can I find MY Genre?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Inkling-for-Christ
    @inkling-for-christ

Hey,

So I was asked recently  “What genre do you write?” I said Dystopian. Later I realized that dystopian is a type not a genre. I’ve been dabbling and I know mystery and fantasy aren’t my gig, so how can I find what genre fits me?

@gracelivingston

@emma-starr

@missfaeriekaiti

@happyholly_c

@archer360

@jane-maree

@scribbles

@quinn-ofallon

@kayla-joy

@ashlyvye

@pookiemonster

@sir-leeds

@aster

@morgan-tailor

@rolena-hatfield

@skredder

@grace-tolkienista

@snapper

@daeus-lamb
    @kate @briannastorm @josiah @gabriellepollack @jenwriter17 @morreafirebird@mariposa

INFJ, Child of God, wannabe author, writer, dreamer, fan of DR. Who, Star Wars, NCIS-LA

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@inkling-for-christ I would classify dystopia as a genre. A book may have multiple genres (e.g. dystopia & sci-fi), but I wouldn’t classify dystopia as simply a type of story.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@inkling-for-christ I’m pretty sure dystopian is a genre. Sure, some dystopians are fantasies and some are sci-fi and some are fairy-tale and some are realistic, but you can have mysteries in each of those genres too. Genres overlap.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

Oohp. Broken record.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sir Leeds
    @sir-leeds

Hey @inkling-for-christ , I agree with Daeus and Josiah. Dystopian can be a genre all its own, but oftentimes it mixes with other genres, like sci-fi. 1984, Brave New World, That Hideous Strength, Hunger Games, The Matrix, etc. follow that blend. The only other genre I think I’ve seen blended with dystopian is Western/sci-fi in Book of Eli.

In your opinion, what are some of your better stories about? What are the basic settings and plots? That might help you find out what you’re most comfortable writing about.

"We are far too easily pleased." - C. S. Lewis

Inkling-for-Christ
    @inkling-for-christ

@daeus-lamb, @josiah, I never thought of it that way. Somehow I say dystopian as a subcategory of fiction, but what you say makes sense. To have dystopian and the type of story varies. Dystopian is kinda futuristic. Right?

@sir-leeds
    , I haven’t written much, even though I feel I have written a whole library worth. The only thing I’ve really written is a dystopian trilogy about futuristic America wherein a resistance group is caught in the throes of a rising dictatorship and a failing government.    That was the project that consumed me for a while and after/before that it was just short random stories. I happen to do a lot of fan fiction as well. That’s how my “career” started with Avengers fan fiction.

Thanks for helping me better understand

INFJ, Child of God, wannabe author, writer, dreamer, fan of DR. Who, Star Wars, NCIS-LA

Snapper
    @snapper

@inkling-for-Christ I agree with everyone else too. I write sci-f/ dystopian. I haven’t decided whether my novel falls more into dystopian or sci-if, although sometimes, Dystopian can be just a more specific type of sci-fi… I think it can depend, but yeah, dystopian is a genre.

*melts chair*

Anonymous

@inkling-for-christ

Dystopian is one of my favorite type/genre’s, but I don’t find it’s usually futuristic/not futuristic.  Dystopian is, or at least my understanding of it is, that it’s just a world that’s hard to live in because of… whatever the problem is.

I know what you mean when you’re trying to figure this out though, in fact, I recently (like… a few days ago) finally figured out which genre I write in/fits me and how I figured it out is by comparing what I write to what my favorite author writes (my favorite author as in who I think I write most like.)  Maybe find a book that has similar plot theme’s, or an author you really want to write like, find the genre and see if that’s right for you.

And… yeah.  Hope that helped you somewhat!

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@inkling-for-christ What genres do you like to read most? I find that most writers write in the genres that they read in. And you can branch out into many genres too, so you don’t necessarily have to find just that ONE genre that you write in.

In my opinion dystopian is a type of story, that can go into different genres. I wrote a dystopian sci-fi, but I think you make other genres dystopian stories.

I hope this made sense 😉

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

@inkling-for-christ I’ve had a similar problem.  @daeus-lamb @josiah Originally, I thought that most of my stories fit in the coming-of-age category, but is that a genre? (bildungsroman) Do you think it’s important to pick a particular genre to write the particular story in as a guide, or is it okay to do a mixture?

@ashlyvye Yeah, dystopian just means the story is set in a dangerous and generally bad society.

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. 🙂 https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@inkling-for-christ
    Honestly, it doesn’t look like you need any more help, but here’s my vote to second what Josiah said. xD The sort of dystopian you’re probably thinking about is sci fi dystopian with futuristic tech/settings, as that’s probably the most well known sort of dystopia.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@emma-starr For me, genres are simply a market term. A lot of people look for dystopias when they read, and so I’d classify it as a genre. I’m not sure if people specifically look for coming-of-age stories when they set out to read (maybe they do; I just don’t know if they look for specifically that instead of YA in general). If a lot of people do, it may be a genre, but I’m not sure if I would classify it as a genre personally.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

@josiah Okay, thanks! 🙂

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. 🙂 https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

@inkling-for-christ Sorry for being late to join in here! I’m basically going to echo what everyone else has said, but I think @josiah has a great point when he says that “genres are simply a market term.”

Basically, the only time I care about what genre something belongs to is when I’m looking for books in a store (online <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>or</span> brick-and-mortar). Other than that, all I really care about is whether the story is written well, has a good plot and theme/themes. The stories I write, for instance, technically belong to the speculative fiction genre, and are kind of fantasy. However, the most specific label for the genre I write is “xenofiction” (meaning they’re written from the POV of a non-human character), which I had never even heard before the other day. All of these terms are rather misleading, though, because what I actually write are stories told from the POV of wild animals and farm animals from the American Midwest. Sooo…it really makes no sense that my stories would probably be shelved as fantasy. 😛

So yeah, genres are basically just a way of sorting millions of stories into somewhat more findable categories.

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest