fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jasmine

Good riddle! Joelle is totally right! I think it’s wind!

Liorah

“I was asking Brin,” Gwen said.

“Were you really expecting her to answer?” I shot back.

“Here’s the next riddle,” The castle repeated.

“I can be harnessed, but never caught.  Try your hardest, I will care not. I will grow and I will die, forever moving free. I will roam, both far and wide . Chains cannot contain me. What am I?”

“Okay, another inanimate object,” I commented. “Probably another element, by the sound of it. ‘chains cannot contain me.’ Clouds, maybe?” I twirled my braid between my fingers, still petting Brin with my other hand. She was warm and silky, and it made me feel better.

“Clouds can’t really be harnessed though unless you count the use we get out of rain. Maybe…” I trailed off, thinking.

“Wind? Or rivers? They dry up in summer and grow in winter. They often branch out and form new streams,” I suggested.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

*realizes that I’ve accidentally ditched SE for a while again* *yelps and feels bad to have kept you waiting* *hurries onto SE* OooooOOOooh, I like all of those options! *imagines a miniature Riure and Zanar running around* *bursts into snort-y giggles* *gets control of self* Which option on your list do you like the best?

Also, IDK if @rusted-knight is part of our group or Ferran’s… I’m kinda waiting to respond until I get confirmation XD

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum.
    ~Author Unknown

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@rose-colored-fancy @jasmine

Love your guys’ riddles!! So cool 🙂

~Author Unknown

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

No worries! I do that sometimes on accident too. 🙂

Erm, personally I like the first two the best. Maybe we can combine them, though? Like have them play a board game without communicating with voices, then one of them accidentally does and they’re shrunk as punishment? XD I have no clue where that came from, but it sounds completely hilarious. 😛 Poor Riure.

"For love is strong as death." -God

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Klein is with Zanar and Riure I guess. I missed @rose-colored-fancy’s post and wrote him with them so he’s stuck. Which means that there is a shapeshifter on the loose.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@rusted-knight

OOooohhhhh, so that means Ferran is with a SHAPE-SHIFTER?? *is giddy* That’s a really cool idea. Are you good with it, @rose-colored-fancy? Rusted Knight, if Klein is with Zanar and Riure, are you good with the challenge that Joelle suggested they have to complete? Or would you rather the three do something else to escape the trap?

@joelle-stone

As for me, I love your idea!!! Yes, it does sound hilarious. *kinda wants a miniature Zanar now* That would be so funny XD

~Author Unknown

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

OOooohhhhh, so that means Ferran is with a SHAPE-SHIFTER?? *is giddy* That’s a really cool idea. Are you good with it,

That’s pure genius! I’m totally gonna do that!! Ooh, he isn’t going to like this, I can’t wait!

Ferran

The armored figure didn’t reply. Instead, it raised its weapon. I tensed, bringing my staff into a diagonal guard position. Azar snarled, crouching, ready to spring.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, flatly. The person wasn’t necessarily hostile to me, perhaps there was something else. I wasn’t going to risk it.

Instead of replying or using the weapon, the person, or whatever it was, hurled itself toward me. I dodged, bringing up my staff to deflect it. It bounced off my staff, like some sort of rubbery substance.

Azar made a high, squeaky sound that perfectly described how I felt about this situation. This was decidedly off. In more ways than I could count.

I needed to find out more about the thing, so rammed my staff into it, as hard as I could. It made a high, whistling sound, that expressed some sort of pain. I recoiled, suddenly feeling guilty. Why? It wasn’t a person, it wasn’t an animal. Was it even alive?

The creature’s colors shifted, the hues quivering like an opal held to the light. It was both beautiful and terrifying at once.  Now it was the color of rubies. It looked like a large pile of dough, except it was more flexible, and it was pulsing with life.

It hurled itself at me again, the body elongating as it tried to wrap around me. I caught a glimpse of small, sharp fangs in a widening circle. I whacked it away, the force of my blow hurling it into the wall. It lay in a pile, then rose up, growing and reshaping, like clay.

And then, it gave a final quiver and vanished. In its place, there stood Gavril. He looked exactly as he had a few minutes ago, down to the blue stripe around his cloak and the scimitar at his belt. He looked so horribly real that I recoiled.

“Gav? What–”

Was this real, or not? The room was closed but the castle seemed able to make people appear and disappear at will. What was I supposed to do now? If it was Gavril, I didn’t want to hurt him, but if it wasn’t, the creature was going to attack me.

OooOOh! This was genius, Rusted Knight! I can’t wait to make it change into a bunch of other people to see his reaction. *Bounces excitedly* This is going to be fun!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Ooh, Klein playing a board game and getting shrunk! This I have to see. XD

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

The shapeshifter idea is super cool!!!

Jasmine
    @jasmine

@joelle-stone

Yes! Wow, you guessed that quickly. I guess I’ll have to work on my riddle-making skills, Lol.

Everyone: I’m loving all the ideas popping up! This is both  creative and hilarious at the same time!

Gwendolyn

“Okay, another inanimate object,” Liorah said, “Probably another element, by the sound of it. ‘chains cannot contain me.’ Clouds, maybe?” She fiddled with her braid, which was almost the same color as my hair.

“Clouds can’t really be harnessed though unless you count the use we get out of rain. Maybe…” she trailed off. I was starting to get annoyed at Brin for enjoying the attention Liorah was giving her so much. For some reason it felt like a mini betrayal.

“Wind? Or rivers? They dry up in summer and grow in winter. They often branch out and form new streams,” Liorah said, running her fingers through Brin’s silky feathers. Brin’s eyes where drooping and she was leaning into Liorah’s hand, the overall appearance was that it looked like she was going to pass out.

I frowned and shifted to look up at the panel in the ceiling and get Brin away from Liorah. “Maybe wind?” I say,  It makes sense I guess, she figured out the last one and I’m obviously not the best when it comes to riddles. All the pieces seem to fit.

“Is it wind?” I ask loudly.

@rose-colored-fancy

Are we planning on doing the battle between Liorah and Gwen?

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jasmine

Yep! You can start it if you like! Just a quick disclaimer, I don’t know if you trust Liorah in a combat situation with a real sword. XD She does have her real scimitar with her, though. Maybe it’ll be safer for them if the castle provides fake ones? Though, Liorah can do either.

I love how Gwen’s jealous of how much Brin likes Liorah XD I should introduce Liorah’s horse, Maewyn. No, JK, she wouldn’t fit XD

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

At first read, I thought Ehud was just being playful and silly, as usual, but after rereading it, it feels too deliberate, especially when he hugged her afterward to keep her from leaving. I think Ehud knew exactly what was happening but didn’t want to make her feel uncomfortable. That was so sweet, and so like him! And Rosy was totally oblivious XD

Yes, I really wanna question assumptions people make about what kind of people are ‘mature’ or ‘immature’ and what’s the definition of each term there. And yeah, I can tell you depression–or any strong emotion like that–can make you totally or selectively oblivious.
    Also that riddle was awesome! If only I’d joined the Dark Side and guessed shadow instead of sunlight lol!

Which means that there is a shapeshifter on the loose.

Oooh, *ideas bubbling* That sounds fun!!!

It’s cold, wet and smelly.
    In fact, it’s really cold, wet and smelly. Like even for me!
    Ehud inched through a narrow chasm, barred with metal tubes bigger than his head plus an oversized top hat. Worse, though, he could stare up and see the sky, but everything’s too large and slimy for even him to scale. It’s glassy blue as the ocean, staring down if he tilts his head far enough back to fall over he can see clear, windy skies like he’d never seen in the smoky sector of the SkyIslands.
    “Hello?” Ehud called timidly “Anybody?!”
    Nono no. He couldn’t be trapped! He could see the sky he couldn’t be trapped! Ehud barreled onto a tube scrapping desperately for a ledge to grip. A couple seconds frantic clawing and he thunked to the ice-metallic ground hard enough an echo reverberated along the walls, shaking dirt off its cage onto his head.
    “Ow,” Ehud whimpered, tugging himself onto his elbow, blinking stinging crusts of sooty dust out of his eyes but gritting it in deeper trying to rub it off.
    “Hold on to anything.
    In the end they all fade
    And you’re all alone.”
    Ehud jumped, staring around. “Hello?! Who’s there?”
    A thunk echoed down and down the chasm hall. Wrapping his arms around himself, Ehud crept down the narrow walls of dripping stone. It smelled more of broken dreams than a melted chocolate sundae smashed into diaper fragments, essentially, really bad and despairing. Imagine the worse possible thing possible and times it by lost chocolate chip cookies, lukewarm decaf coffee in those paper cups you can’t simply microwave, and homework assignments to be submitted by yesterday the moment after you thought you’d done everything. Death and despair, baby, death and despair.
    “Ro-Rosy?” He fumbled through his pockets for Sprinkles the glowing pony who fuzzes a pink, weird light that makes the shadows look larger. It was worse because he could still see the sky but he was trapped, devoured by the pitch, whining metal. “Rosy…?”
    “All fade, they all fade
    and in the end you’re all alone.”
    “Who’s there?!” Ehud jumped back, whirling around for the trilling metallic, singsong voice. Something jerked him back and he almost screamed before a hand clamped over his mouth. Panic seethed his bones as he kicked, a taunt arm grappling him back.

“It’s me, carino. Shhh” Her whisper tickled his ear, almost palpable sweat pressed into the heat of her body. There’s another vibrating thunk from the tendrils of spindly physical shadow spearing the ground in its steps along a deep corner of the wall so close Ehud had to struggle hard against the gut instinct to run as fast as he possibly could. Eight marrow-black trip-wire legs.
    “If I take my hand off,” Rosario breathed slowly “you won’t scream?”
    Ehud shook his head covering a hand over her hand over his mouth with a very muffled whimper. It had a face, it had a human face morphed out of a black spine and thick brown-webbed hair, unnaturally frozen. Kaleidoscope cluster of blinking, color-fragmented eyes from it’s almost human forehead to its nose.
    “Hold on to anything
    It fades it fades it all fades”
    The voice didn’t even come from its mouth! It vibrated from its shifting, spindly legs metallically.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Yes, I really wanna question assumptions people make about what kind of people are ‘mature’ or ‘immature’ and what’s the definition of each term there. And yeah, I can tell you depression–or any strong emotion like that–can make you totally or selectively oblivious.

You’re doing a good job of that! I don’t take anything Ehud says lightly anymore. The more I read of him, the more I realize he’s really bright and really in tune with other people.

Also that riddle was awesome! If only I’d joined the Dark Side and guessed shadow instead of sunlight lol!

Thank you, the internet is a fabulous place XD

It had a face, it had a human face morphed out of a black spine and thick brown-webbed hair, unnaturally frozen. Kaleidoscope cluster of blinking, color-fragmented eyes from it’s almost human forehead to its nose.
    “Hold on to anything
    It fades it fades it all fades”
    The voice didn’t even come from its mouth! It vibrated from its shifting, spindly legs metallically.

Okay, that’s going to give me nightmares XD That’s absolutely terrifying, good job! XD

It smelled more of broken dreams than a melted chocolate sundae smashed into diaper fragments, essentially, really bad and despairing. Imagine the worse possible thing possible and times it by lost chocolate chip cookies, lukewarm decaf coffee in those paper cups you can’t simply microwave, and homework assignments to be submitted by yesterday the moment after you thought you’d done everything. Death and despair, baby, death and despair.

That was fabulous! XD Douglas Adams is probably applauding somewhere XD

Ferran

The– thing– didn’t move. It looked so much like Gav, I had no idea if the castle had suddenly dropped him back. The room was dim, and I tried to read his expression but couldn’t.

Azar growled. I looked down, surprised. Her hackles stood on end and her teeth were bared. She had never growled at Gavril, ever. She only growled when she didn’t know or didn’t like someone, and she liked Gavril. Which meant, that wasn’t Gavril. Somehow, Azar could tell the difference.

I raised my staff, still cautious. I didn’t want to rush into this. The creature, sensing that I’d seen through the disguise, morphed back into the indeterminate form. Now it was glowing orange, like fire opals and amber in the sunlight. It sprung at me, propelling itself at me. I tried to swipe it away with my staff, but it wrapped around it like a snake, elongating and narrowing. It slithered up my staff, and I hurled the weapon away from me in a panic.

The creature became a large blob once more, its pulsing flesh wrapping around my staff. I gritted my teeth. Why had I done that? I took a deep breath, forcing the panic down. I had to stay calm. If I panicked, it was over. I didn’t know if the creature was carnivorous, but I wasn’t planning to find out.

Azar lunged at the beast, snarling and bristling. She edged around it, trying to herd it away from me.

“That isn’t a goat, I don’t think that works,” I told her, quietly. I needed to hear a voice, any voice.

Azar ignored me and snapped at the creature. It stretched out, away from her. Perhaps it was working. The thing elongated again until it looked like a massive snake. It wrapped itself around Azar, and she scrambled away yelping. She clamped her jaws around the snake and shook it as she did with rats.

While the creature was distracted, I picked up my staff again. Small dents betrayed where the creature had bitten into it. Its jaws must be horribly strong, to carve into the hardwood.

Azar had bitten deep into the snake creature, and thick, green blood oozed out. It slithered toward me, and I circled, trying to get an angle where I could crush it. I slammed my staff into what I guessed was the head, but it morphed away. There was no winning.

It wrapped itself up my leg and I tried to shake it off, then I felt the sharp sting of its jaws. I gritted my teeth and kicked it away from me. The bite wasn’t deep, it had barely drawn blood, but my head was spinning. Was the thing venomous?

The creature had slithered to a corner and was morphing again. This time it was slower. It was the glowing green of emeralds. Then, it changed into the last person I’d expected. I stepped back, aghast.

It was my eldest brother, Syrus. How did this thing know what he looked like? It must have gotten the information from my blood, somehow.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Rose.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jasmine

Whoops, your post isn’t showing up! I can see it in my email, though. I’ll just reply as normal. Technology, ugh! XD

Ha ha! That would be hilarious! Maybe we can have Maewyn pop in for a visit sometime.

LOL, that would be funny XD We’ll see!

Liorah

“Yes, that’s the right answer,” The castle said, disappointed. “That was completely unsatisfactory, I’m giving y’all another challenge before I let you out.”

I spat a string of colorful adjectives at the castle. I started formulating another threat to add to my list.

“You said if we solved the riddles–” Gwen started, her voice thick with anger.

“Well, scratch that. NOW you have to fight each other, let’s see which one of you is stronger.”

“We what now?” I said, barely able to believe my ears.

“I’m not fighting Gwen,” I said, flatly. At the exact same time, Gwen shouted,

“I’m not fighting Liorah!”

“Now what, you sadistic lump of stone?” I challenged,

“Yea, I should have known you’d be too scared,” the castle taunted, “but you don’t have much of a say in this.”

I spluttered another insult that compared the castle to a camel’s hindquarters but found myself reaching for my shamshir, the curved sword that had rested by my side all this time. I tried to pull away, but an invisible force pulled my hand closer to it and made me draw it. The motion was jerky, as I was trying to fight against the pressure, but it was stronger than I was.

My sword was free and the force released me. Gwen stared at me, surprise, anger, and hurt chasing across her face.

“I don’t– I didn’t–” I spluttered, but she had already realized it. She was holding her straight sword, with the same puzzled expression I must have had.

“Go!” The castle said.

I considered my options, then decided it was the best approach. Protesting any more would lead to a situation I couldn’t control, and since the castle was apparently able to manipulate me, I was afraid I would hurt Gwen if it took over.

I raised my sword into a defensive guard position and backed away a few steps, so we were centered in the room.

I considered my options carefully. I didn’t want to hurt Gwen, but I could control my sword well. I needed to make sure I pushed the fight far enough that it seemed real to the castle, but not so far that I hurt her. I had no idea what she was capable of.

I was taller than Gwen, so I’d have a larger reach, but she would probably be stronger. (I have no idea what Gwen looks like, so I’m just guessing XD)

I eyed her straight sword. It wasn’t common in Yerasht, but I’d practiced against similar swords once or twice with Gavril and our instructor. Her biggest advantage was thrusting and her sword would have a further reach.

“I’m going to need a separ if you want this to be impressive,” I called to the castle. Barely a moment later, a small, steel shield dropped right next to me. I picked it up and held it in my left hand. It was convex, barely larger than my outstretched hand. It was used for deflecting and getting the other person’s sword in a bind.

I picked my strategy. I would try to get in as close as possible. Since my sword was so curved, I could use it effectively at distances that would usually be useless for a sword. Now I just had to be careful and find out how good Gwen was.

“How are you with that? And no false modesty,” I said, “I’m pretty good, but Gavril’s much better.”

I rolled my eyes, trying to get her to relax. This was only a practice, and if she was uptight, this could go wrong.

“That should be my middle name. ‘Liorah, Gavril’s-better-at-this, daughter of Shemaiah,'” I said, lightly.

Just wanted to add in that information, so you kind of know the difference between the shamshir and a straight sword. I think that’ll make it easier to write. 😉

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@jasmine,

Yes! Wow, you guessed that quickly. I guess I’ll have to work on my riddle-making skills, Lol.

Nope, the riddle was really good!! I just happened to have wind on my mind. 😛

@rose-colored-fancy
    & @this-is-not-an-alien,

Great posts, you guys! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 1,017 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest