fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 969 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Only one color, but not one size, Stuck at the bottom, yet easily flies. Present in sun, but not in rain, Doing no harm, and feeling no pain.

…sunlight?
    SUNLIGHT IT’S SUNLIGHT!!! Sunlight!!!!
    Ehem, erm, anyway just see myself out now until I have a proper post…
    Did I guess it right? It’s sunlight isn’t it?

…sorry XD

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Cathy.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jasmine

Once they figure out the riddles, maybe the castle could have them fight? I just thought it was an interesting idea but if you don’t like it we could just have them join another group.

Ooh, that’s a spectacular idea! We could even expand that, and make it so either all the characters have to fight each other, or even do something like release them all into a room and make them play something like laser-tag or something like that. That could actually be pretty fun!

BTW, I like how you’re experimenting with Gwen, I like how cocky she is, it’s fun!

@this-is-not-an-alien

Did I guess it right? It’s sunlight isn’t it?

Nope! Sunlight isn’t stuck at the bottom. It does qualify for all the others, so good guess! If I didn’t have the answer, I don’t think I could ever get this one!

Liorah

“No. As soon as I get out of here, I’m going to find every last scrap of blastpowder in First Place and blow this place to Themyscira,” Gwen said, frustrated.

I grinned and nodded happily.

“I’ll help! How about we do the whole strangling-with-intestines-and-kicking-head-into-chasm thing first, then we blow up what’s left?”

“I don’t know, a bird? A rainbow?” Gwen said, still annoyed.

“That ain’t right. Y’all got three chances left,” the castle twanged.

“You didn’t tell us we had chances!” I spat at the castle. It refused to answer.

I frowned, thinking it through. I liked riddles, and for a few years, Gavril and I had a running competition to see who could come up with one the other couldn’t solve. Gavril won, though.

“A bird won’t work, it can do harm and feel pain,” I said, meditatively. “A rainbow is stuck at the bottom, flies, doesn’t feel pain or do harm, and is only visible in sunlight. But it needs rain and it’s more than one color, and it’s the same shape every time.”

I began running everything over in my mind.

“It can’t be any animal or any living thing at all, they all feel pain and can do harm. It must be an object. Sand is the same color, but it’s the same size every time. Same for dirt. Rocks are different sizes, but they differ in color and they only fly if you throw them really hard.”

I paused, then added,

“Anything flies if you throw it hard enough. It isn’t water, that’s visible in rain too. Wind? It isn’t stuck at the bottom,” My voice trailed off.

I was becoming more and more frustrated.

“This is no use. It could take a hundred years to get this answer.”

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

A few ideas I had for Zanar and Riure:

1. Have them play a board game
    2. Make them communicate without voices (i.e., Riure can mouth words and Zanar can trace them on her forearm or something?)
    3. Something with that little tablet thingy Riure found that had “laugh” engraved in it
    4. Have them shrink/grow (IDK why, that just sounds weird)
    5. Have to get something (a balloon on the ceiling, a ribbon just on the other side of the wall, etc.)

Any ideas of yours?

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Nope! Sunlight isn’t stuck at the bottom. It does qualify for all the others, so good guess! If I didn’t have the answer, I don’t think I could ever get this one!

I actually memorized the riddle and my family started brainstorming on what it might be. Our best guess was a cloud or fog.

We could even expand that, and make it so either all the characters have to fight each other, or even do something like release them all into a room and make them play something like laser-tag or something like that.

That would be so cool! My only worry is Riure… Maybe she could team up with someone. Hmmm, maybe Gwen and Liorah could have a mini battle then in the next trap we could have a bigger battle or laser tag war?

P.S. I’m glad you like the new-and-improved Gwendolyn! It’s really easier to show her personality more when it’s one-on-one with another character.

I grinned and nodded happily. “I’ll help! How about we do the whole strangling-with-intestines-and-kicking-head-into-chasm thing first, then we blow up what’s left?”

That made me laugh, It’s funny how Liorah is so eager payback the castle!

Gwendolyn:

“That ain’t right. Y’all got three chances left,” the castle informed us.

“WHAT?!” I roared, That’s not-”

“You didn’t tell us we had chances!” Liorah snapped, she frowned and thought out loud,

“A bird won’t work, it can do harm and feel pain, a rainbow is stuck at the bottom, flies, doesn’t feel pain or do harm, and is only visible in sunlight. But it needs rain and it’s more than one color, and it’s the same shape every time.”

I frowned and was about to blow up again when she started naming other ideas,

“It can’t be any animal or any living thing at all, they all feel pain and can do harm. It must be an object. Sand is the same color, but it’s the same size every time. Same for dirt. Rocks are different sizes, but they differ in color and they only fly if you throw them really hard.” she paused, “Anything flies if you throw it hard enough. It isn’t water, that’s visible in rain too. Wind? It isn’t stuck at the bottom,” her voice trailed of into frustration, “This is no use. It could take a hundred years to get this answer.”

I started pacing, trying to work out my frustration and energy. I wanted to fight or climb, but pacing was the best I had to work with right now.

Think think think think…

“I hate this place,” I mutter under my breath, I really can’t do this, but I don’t want to tell her that. It would make me feel weak, exposed, stupid. I’m not weak.

But your stupid.

I inwardly tell the tiny voice in the back of my head to shut up and pace faster.

I try to think, but am drowned out by my emotions.

Arrows fly, bugs fly…bugs? Bugs aren’t stuck. Stick bugs? No no no no..

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jasmine

I actually memorized the riddle and my family started brainstorming on what it might be. Our best guess was a cloud or fog.

IKR! It’s actually surprisingly hard. My family couldn’t guess it either, though my brother somehow randomly stumbled upon the fact that toilet paper stuck to someone’s shoe (of all things XD) fits every single one of these. (Always white, but could be any length, stuck to the shoe, but still so light that it flies, rain would dissolve it, and it’s an inanimate object, so it does no harm and feels no pain) That was either pure genius or dumb luck XD In case anyone was wondering, it’s not the correct answer though XD

So… should I have Liorah guess it? Then you can give the next riddle?

That made me laugh, It’s funny how Liorah is so eager payback the castle!

LOL, Liorah really wants to get even with the castle. She’s a really vengeful person XD

Oh, btw, are you going to introduce Gwen’s hawk? I think that would be really cool, I’d like to see Liorah’s reaction to that!

That would be so cool! My only worry is Riure… Maybe she could team up with someone. Hmmm, maybe Gwen and Liorah could have a mini battle then in the next trap we could have a bigger battle or laser tag war?

Oh, that’s genius! I think one of the other characters will totally team up with Riure.

@joelle-stone
    (and @everyone actually)

What do you all think of the idea? Feasible? Fun?

Liorah

Gwen started pacing, back and forth, crossing from one wall to the other. I watched her until it made me dizzy, then closed my eyes. My leg didn’t hurt anymore, thankfully, but I was exhausted and hungry. I had given my water to Rosario, so there was no way of getting to that. If we didn’t guess this riddle, we would be dead within three days. Perhaps slightly longer, since there was no burning sun. Only relentless metal.

Dehydration was painful, even in the early stages. Even after a day of not drinking enough water, my head would start to throb and I’d feel dizzy, tired, and disoriented. And that was only after an afternoon. I didn’t want to die. I had decided I would not die, and I was going to stick to that.

“I hate this place,” Gwen muttered. She sounded frustrated, but I heard a slight tint of fear too.

“Out of all the words in both languages I know, I can’t string enough together to express my desire to blow this place to smithereens,” I said. I raised my eyebrows, half surprised at myself. I’d been spending too much time with Acyn, he was rubbing off on me.

“Now what? I don’t think this riddle is possible,” I said. I’d just about given up on it. “We could just shout out three random guesses and face whatever comes after. Maybe it’ll send something else at us.”

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@rose-colored-fancy,

Well, for the riddle, sunscreen works. XD It’s white, changes size, is usually smeared all over (including on the undersides of your arms and stuff), but if you toss the bottle it flies. People wear it in the sun, obviously, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone wear it in rain. The rain would wash it off, anyway. Plus it doesn’t do harm (unless you’re allergic, of course) and doesn’t feel pain.

And that’s really funny about your brother, Rose! It does work, ha!

Also, I’m good with a laser-tag war or another battle. Riure’ll be fine. 😀

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

So, is Klein with Riure and Zanar or with Ferran and Dancrow?

Jasmine
    @jasmine

So… should I have Liorah guess it? Then you can give the next riddle?

Yes! In the second riddle I’ll have her “accidentally ” say a clue. She isn’t the smart one in her story, so she won’t be the one actually solving the riddles, (unless I can figure out how to make her accidentally stumble onto the answer).

Oh, btw, are you going to introduce Gwen’s hawk? I think that would be really cool, I’d like to see Liorah’s reaction to that!

Yes, I was going to do it on the staircase but I’ll throw Brin in while there still in the trap. Ohhhhhhhh, this is going to be fun.

Oh, that’s genius! I think one of the other characters will totally team up with Riure.

Alright! Man, I’m really loving this part of the castle.

Also, I’m good with a laser-tag war or another battle. Riure’ll be fine.

Do you want her to team up or fight alone? Either one works, and if you want Gwendolyn could be on her team (please don’t feel obligated, I was just throwing it out there,).

Gwendolyn

“Out of all the words in both languages I know, I can’t string enough together to express my desire to blow this place to smithereens,” Liorah said. “Now what? I don’t think this riddle is possible,We could just shout out three random guesses and face whatever comes after. Maybe it’ll send something else at us.”

I ran my hand through my hair, squeezing my eyes closed. I didn’t like that idea, but what could be worse than this?

Three images popped into my head, one was of the beast that had nearly bitten Liorah’s head off, the one I had sent a arrow through. Another was of a moving wall pressing towards Gavril, Riure, Klein, Rosario, and me. The last image was of two haunting, icy blue eyes from my dream.

“Lets try and figure this out.” I say, still grabbing my hair.

I still can’t think, my eyes settle on a silver whistle lying on the ground. It must have fallen out of my satchel. I pick it up, seeing Brin in my mind’s eye.

Wait, I didn’t bring my satchel with me, but it somehow got here. Is there a way out nearby? What if…

I raise the whistle to my lips, if Brin can find a way in, maybe she can point us in the direction of the exit. My fingers find the leather pad on my shoulder out of habit, checking to make sure its secure.

This isn’t going to work, but I have to try. I blow on the whistle, A thin, clear sound cuts through the air like a knife.

There is a pause, then a flurry of wingbeats and feathers fill the room like a mini windstorm and a black hawk with white and rusty red patches lands on the pad on my shoulder. “Brin!” I cry, “what…how did you?” I dig a piece of dried meat from a pouch in my satchel and feed it to her as a reward, whipping my head around scanning the room for the way she got in. I find none.

“What in First Place?” I brush the backs of my fingertips against Brin’s downy, black feathers, “How did you get in?”

This place makes no sense.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@jasmine,

Do you want her to team up or fight alone? Either one works, and if you want Gwendolyn could be on her team (please don’t feel obligated, I was just throwing it out there,).

Either works!! If you want to have Gwen and Riure on a team, I’m all for it (plus it’ll help Riure recognize her better. ;)).

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

Well, for the riddle, sunscreen works. XD It’s white, changes size, is usually smeared all over (including on the undersides of your arms and stuff), but if you toss the bottle it flies. People wear it in the sun, obviously, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone wear it in rain. The rain would wash it off, anyway. Plus it doesn’t do harm (unless you’re allergic, of course) and doesn’t feel pain.

And that’s really funny about your brother, Rose! It does work, ha!

LOL, I think we broke the riddle XD We’re far more original than whoever invented it XD

@jasmine

She isn’t the smart one in her story, so she won’t be the one actually solving the riddles, (unless I can figure out how to make her accidentally stumble onto the answer).

Okay! That’s cool! I actually think of Gwen as pretty sharp, though it probably isn’t her main characteristic. I’d say most of my characters are smart in really different ways.

Liorah is good at coming up with solutions on the fly. They won’t be flawless, they won’t be pretty, or safe, for that matter, but they’ll work, more or less. She can solve a problem quickly and under stress, but the solution will usually be rough and rushed.

Acyn is the conventionally ‘smart’ one of the group. He adores books and likes to study, so he has more and broader academic knowledge than most of the others. But he does not do well under stress. He needs peace, quiet, and a few hours to work something out, but when he does, it’ll be logical, reasonable, and waterproof. Thinking quickly isn’t his strongest point, mostly since he has a tendency to overanalyze things.

Sahar is sharp, but her solutions are more focused on ‘how can I make everyone feel better about the problem’ rather than ‘how do I solve the problem’. She can think quickly when needed, but her solutions will usually be predictable. (Liorah is always unpredictable, XD)

Ferran… hmm, I don’t actually know. I’ll hopefully find out soon XD

Like Sahar, Gavril focuses more on the people involved than the actual problem, and he’ll compromise if it seems like the best solution.

Wait, what were we talking about again? XD

Liorah

“Let’s try and figure this out,” Gwen said, tiredly.

I nodded, she was right. It probably wouldn’t have gone off well.

Gwen picked up a small silver whistle. I cocked my head, curious.

She blew it and after a short delay, a soft rustling came from the ceiling. A large black bird swept in, wings quivering and alighted on Gwen’s shoulder. I dodged, instinctively, then relaxed. It was a hawk and a stunning one at that. It was an unusual color, not the drab browns that would allow it to blend in, but a deep black flecked with white and red.

“Brin! What– how did you?” Gwen dug a piece of dried meat out of a pouch and fed it to the bird.

Gwen peered around, trying to find where the bird had gotten in.

She was at the wrong angle, so she couldn’t see what I did. A small gap, about the size of my outstretched hand. It was a panel that had opened in the ceiling. I gave it a cursory glance, then decided I could barely get my hand in there, let alone crawl through.

“What in First Place? How did you get in?” Gwen said.

Even though she was addressing the bird, I answered.

“There’s a panel in the ceiling. It’s too small for us,” I said, stretching out as I got up. My muscles were stiff from the fall, and from everything that had happened. I was exhausted.

I stepped closer but stayed out of the bird’s reach. I wasn’t afraid of birds of prey, hawking was a common practice in the tribe, and I’d petted, held, and handled the birds often.

“She’s lovely. May I touch her?” I asked Gwen, just in case. An aggressive hawk was not a creature to be trifled with.

Gwen nodded and I carefully stroked the bird’s silky feathers.

The lights in the room had brightened and I squinted against them. The angle at which the single light was set cast long, sharp shadows behind us. The shape of the hawk perching on Gwen’s shoulder made an odd shadow, and something clicked.

“Always one color, never one size, stuck at the bottom, yet easily flies. Present in sun… or any light actually, but never in rain. Doing no harm and feeling no pain,” I recited, under my breath. I fitted my answer to each, and it interlocked. A perfect match.

“Shadow. The answer is a shadow,” I said, my voice clear and strong.

The brief silence confirmed my suspicions. If I’d been wrong, the castle would have mocked me by now.

“Right…” Lord Castle said, sulkily. “Here’s the next riddle:”

I waited for the next, only hoping I could solve this one too.

@jasmine

All yours! Can’t wait to see what riddle you come up with!

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Lol this is gonna drive me crazy until the riddle’s solved! Thanks tho!

A second is pitch black.
    Then the Bridge where we met. Dejame en paz, just stop…
    Rain was a bucket of slate, it was thick, heavy. Here and there though. Perdoname, Dios. Olvidalo, est nada. Thirteen, the Bridge acres across the island. You could see it all, que mas da? Me da igual, I don’t care. Cherry petals plaster to the boards, my hair, the cold thin steal rail feeling like the edge of a sword.
    “Wait! Get off the rails!” At the exclamation I lost my balance, some blond blue-eyes hurtling into me, yanking my elbow until I tumbled toward the safe side onto the Bridge–chale! In the process of crashing I twisted his wrist, ramming the boy into the rails.
    “Idiota! I do what I want! Fresa! You can’t stop me, idiota!” I couldn’t see through blurring rain around my eyes, I didn’t need his help I didn’t want his help I didn’t want his pity
    (I couldn’t take anymore false compassion)
    He just stared at me, big storm-blue eyes so wide it could almost make you laugh. Panting, I backed away from him. What a monster hits someone without even thinking? I must be a mons (-if I wasn’t why didn’t anyone save me?-) monster.
    I tugged dripping hair half out of my face trying to ‘collect myself’ the English instructor says it. Coal bangs shadow my eyes still, only half-hiding a dark bruise from training, visible through the smudges of concealer drizzled off with the rain. Que mas da?
    (if I wasn’t a monster and God exists then why wouldn’t He save me?
    I must be a monster…)
    “I just meant ya can’t get on the rails like that, it’s too slippery.” His voice was squeaky breathless like a chirpy bird. Like nada, the boy bobbed up, shaking himself and splattering me with water. “But I betcha can climb it, wanna try? I’m Ehud, by the way.”
    “Do I look like I need help?” I growled warningly, mechanically flicking hair out of my face. Cute kid that he was he just stared again, like he didn’t dare say it, just staring like a lost puppy. No mi importa, callate! But it wasn’t a pitying look, just a…a strange look. Then those big eyes lit up like sudden.
    “Uh-uh, I do! Lookit!” Without a warning he hopped on the rails. “Ya gotta have two people to do this, grab my hand so I don’t fall!”
    “If you can’t do it alone you shouldn’t do it, idiot.” (people don’t save you) “I’m not holding your hand.”

“But it’s fun! You try i-yiiike!” He tottered back precariously, crouching on the rails and gripping them tight enough to whiten his knuckles.
    “Get off it, don’t be stupid, I can’t catch you,” The kid didn’t even listen. Without a second missing eye-contact he lifted to his feet on the rails.
    “But everybody needs somebody to help if they wanna do more than survive!” He flapped his arms precariously over the edge. “Lookit lookit! Oh, can ya teach me Spanish? What’s Spanish for ‘fun’?!”
    “Idiota.” I translated staring him down. Whatever level of crazy this ‘Ehud’ was he wouldn’t stay on those rai…he did, in fact he started flapping even more frantically to balance. I didn’t think he’d actually stay up there! Para ya, para ya, su idiota! His footing hitched and he jerked over the edge with a scream. With a cry I snatched his hand, knocking us both against the rails.
    “Stop flapping! You’re making yourself heavier!” I tugged his arm hard enough he gave a little yelp, but with a couple seconds he scrambled up with little help and hiccupy laughs. His cheery glow edged my last nerve.
    “Do you even care about your own life?! You need to take responsibility and stop making stupid decisions! A little forethought could’ve spared us both–”
    “Ya wanna try it next?” He blinked at me, he actually blinked at me as if I was loco for having common sense! Then he just gave a little shrug and stuffed his hands in his pockets like a reprimanded puppy. A second and his entire mood lit up again as thrust a frog from his pocket into my face. “Check out Frogzilla! Wanna name hi-where ya goin’?”
    I had enough of Senor Loco, I was not going to live to protect him if he didn’t even…I didn’t even have to glance back to find him bouncing after me.
    “Can I come with you, where ya goin’?”
    “Nowhere. Shoo.” I’m not dealing with this idiota, I want to be alone, his contagious happy-mood is stupid. Right now I’d like some spac–the loco idiotaita threw his scrawny arms around me! Every nerve of me tensed with the effort of not hurling him off the Bridge myself, instead I kicked him into the rails and try to walk off.
    “Oww! But if ya not going anywhere you can come with me?”
    “No.”
    “I’m adopting you!”
    “No.” I said this very firmly but somehow a halfed hour later saw me at his home with his brother and eight other things he’d adopted for the week. There is no way I’ll ever willingly ‘hang out’ with this guy…

“Rosy…?”

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Okay! That’s cool! I actually think of Gwen as pretty sharp, though it probably isn’t her main characteristic. I’d say most of my characters are smart in really different ways.

Exactly! The way my my friend and I made the story, her character was the smart one, and my character was the strong one so they complemented each other as a team.

Ok, also, did you find your riddle online or make it up? I’m very inexperienced at riddle making, do you think you could give me some pointers?

BTW  your riddle was awsome

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jasmine

Exactly! The way my my friend and I made the story, her character was the smart one, and my character was the strong one so they complemented each other as a team.

Awesome! I can totally see how that would work!

Ok, also, did you find your riddle online or make it up? I’m very inexperienced at riddle making, do you think you could give me some pointers?

I just googled it XD I’m horrible at making riddles. There’s a website: riddles.com They have some pretty good ones! I looked under the ‘difficult’ category. But I didn’t look very hard, so if you just don’t take the first few, I won’t know it XD

BTW  your riddle was awesome

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

@this-is-not-an-alien

Wow, that was so cool! It was so awesome to see how they met! It totally works!

At first read, I thought Ehud was just being playful and silly, as usual, but after rereading it, it feels too deliberate, especially when he hugged her afterward to keep her from leaving. I think Ehud knew exactly what was happening but didn’t want to make her feel uncomfortable. That was so sweet, and so like him! And Rosy was totally oblivious XD

Also, Ehud has a brother?! I didn’t know that!

Jasmine
    @jasmine

I just googled it XD I’m horrible at making riddles.

Same here(I think)! I’ve never really tried, I want to get better at it though, it just seems like a really cool thing to know how to make. I’m going to try too make my own, so let me know if you have any ideas or pointers!

GWENDOLYN

“There’s a panel in the ceiling. It’s too small for us,” Liorah said, answering the question for Brin.

“I was asking Brin.” I said.

Liorah stepped closer, “She’s lovely. May I touch her?” she asked, and I nodded absent mindedly. Brin leaned away and stared at Liorah’s hand coldly for a moment, then glanced at me uncertainly. I usually told people who asked to pet her that Brin’s main hobby was finger-nipping. She wasn’t used to being handled by anyone but me, but  her wings started drooping in pleasure as Liorah stroked her feathers nonetheless.

“Always one color, never one size, stuck at the bottom, yet easily flies. Present in sun… or any light actually, but never in rain. Doing no harm and feeling no pain,” Liorah murmured, “Shadow. The answer is a shadow,” she said, more loudly this time.

I was about to start snapping at her about how she waisted a guess without consulting me when the castle spoke,

“Right…” Lord Castle said, sulkily. “Here’s the next riddle:

I can be harnessed

but never caught.         

try your hardest   

I will care not 

I will grow and I will die

forever moving free  

I will roam, both far and wide 

chains cannot contain me

What am I?

• This reply was modified 2 days, 12 hours ago by Jasmine.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

It’s WIND!

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 969 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest