fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 996 total)
  • Author
    Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Well I like the gameboard idea so lets go with it.

The game will be based a little off Memoir 44 (a good game). The board is divided into three sectors. (Left, center, right) Pieces have a fixed range and movement, cards are used to move or attack, dice determine damage. Game ends when enough enemy units are destroyed, objectives are captured or a combination of the two. A twist for this one though will be that there are a fixed number of reserves that can be added at will by the player. (if they have the card for it.)

Before anyone could answer Klein’s question, there was a hydraulic hiss behind him. Snapping around, he defaulted on his training. However, there was no one behind him. All that was there was a block of steel, about the size of a coffee table. The top to that block was rolling down, revealing a board game. Klein recognized it. Alfa Drop. He had learned how to play on Loch Base.

Back then he was just a kid who thought it would be cool to live on the moon. The scientists have been good at slowly incorporated the changes. When Klein had realized the changes, gravity was already up to three times earth’s. At that point, talk of Project Kelpie was slipping around the base’s hallways. The chance to protect America from another attack from space synced with him. Klein remembered watched the fireball rolling through Manhattan’s streets. The cargo ship had been highjacked leaving close orbit. When the threat was realized, fighters had tried to bring the ship down but the terrorists somehow kept the ship on course.

Klein looked over the board. It was a hypothetical battle between America and China at one of the Mars colonies. The two sides were evenly matched. Noticing a better placement of a sniper unit, Klein reached out to move it. In a second, he noticed the red sand. A rifle was in his hand. Looking around, he saw a blue sunrise to his left. And over the sunrise was the boy that was in his group.

“Hey! Get me outta here!” yelled Klein as he waved his hands.

Walking forward, he ran into a clear wall. Feeling for an opening, Klein found that the wall was hexagonal and trapping him in a spot.

“Oh too bad. Well here is the trial for you all. Win the game or the soldier gets it.”

“They don’t even know how to play!”

“Well that’s too bad. China moves first.”

Looking across the board, Klein saw several units move. Turning back around, he continued waving at the boy.

“Hey can you hear me! Hey! You gotta help me with this one!”

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Whoops, your post isn’t showing up! I can see it in my email, though. I’ll just reply as normal. Technology, ugh! XD

Ok, thank you! I have no clue why it decides to posts it regularly some days and not others. XD

Gwendolyn

Liorah backed away a few steps. My body was tense, my sword was up, and I had no desire at all to hurt her. She looked me up and down as if sizing me up, I followed her lead and glanced over her, trying to decide the best strategy.

Liorah was taller than me, maybe a inch or two, she looked like she knew what she was doing. As far as I knew, Liorah was bigger and more skilled, and I was slightly smaller and stronger. I knew neither of us wanted to hurt each other, that made me feel a little better.

“I’m going to need a separ if you want this to be impressive,” She called, and instantly a shield dropped in front of her.

Wait, we could do that?

“How are you with that? And no false modesty, I’m pretty good, but Gavril’s much better.” Liorah said, then rolled her eyes, “That should be my middle name. ‘Liorah, Gavril’s-better-at-this, daughter of Shemaiah,’”

I hesitated, was she just trying to get a advantage? It was best to let your enemy underestimate you, but Liorah wasn’t my enemy.

“I’m better than an average soldier, I was trained to be a guard. For the king.” I shifted my feet. My father was a castle guard in Themyscira, and he was the one who taught me. when I started training In Fillimere, I already had a huge head start from years of practice.

Then I remembered the only way I got to be a guard was through archery. “I’m better with a bow,” I say, there isn’t much room to use the bow in here though. Not impossible, but still. maybe I could knick her and knock her out (her sword and arrows are poisoned so that if she scratches someone, it will knock them out  for a time but not kill them).

“That isn’t going to work in here.” The castle informs me. I growled in frustration, shifting my feet, “ok, then.”

I swing my sword in a slow ark at Liorah, bringing it down in a swipe that will be easy to block, testing her skill.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Jasmine.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Liorah

Gwen hesitated, then said,

“I’m better than the average soldier. I was trained to be a guard, for the king.”

I nodded. That gave me a pretty good guideline to go by. I could fight as I usually would, though I’d hold back in the beginning.

“I’m better with a bow,” Gwen said.

I was about to reply when I realized she’d been addressing the castle.

“That isn’t going to work in here,” Castle drawled.

Gwen growled.

“Okay then.”

She swung her sword diagonally at my shoulder. The movement was smooth, but slow and easily anticipated.

I raised my shield so the sword was deflected to the side. It was an easy maneuver, and I could have exploited her unguarded position much more, but I had no desire to. We were only fighting to satisfy the castle.

I angled my sword in a smooth, easily blocked cut at her thigh. This was alright, I could handle this. Eventually, the castle would call it quits.

I felt myself lunging forward, out of control once more. My swing got much more momentum than I’d intended and Gwen barely managed to jump back.

“What do you think you’re doing?” She snapped,

“That wasn’t me!” I said, indignantly.

“Come on, fight like you mean it. You weren’t kidding when you said your brother was better at this. You’re beyond useless. Draw some blood!” The castle snarled.

I felt every muscle in my body stiffen.

“You know where you can shove that sword?” I called back, my voice cracking.

I glared at the castle, then at Gwen for good measure. Why had she tried to fool the castle anyway? It wouldn’t work, and it would be worse for us now.

I arced my sword in a long, horizontal slash, this time putting my weight and my skill into it. I wasn’t useless. 

______

Okay, I had to make it a bit more personal for Liorah, since she’s naturally so contrary she wouldn’t just give in to the castle. I think this will do the trick!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

You’re doing a good job of that! I don’t take anything Ehud says lightly anymore. The more I read of him, the more I realize he’s really bright and really in tune with other people.

Thanks <3!

Okay, that’s going to give me nightmares XD That’s absolutely terrifying, good job! XD

Thank you, that moment the blob first coiled around Ferran’s staff was freaky! I totally would’ve thrown the staff too! And then when it bites him I didn’t know how he was gonna make it!

The glowing pony still emitted a pink light, so so close to the spidery creature that Rosario didn’t dare say anything. Ehud stared at it paralyzed so tense and frigid Rosario locked her grip tighter around him, scared he was dead. Clic-itt-clack whined its legs, a yard away. Two feet. Pausing. It’s nose pointed weirdly out of its goggled eyes that blink with sticky pops.
    Ehud trembled like a wings of a bee in a blizzard, that made the pink glow shudder.
    It halted with a sharp-F scritch like a fractured violin fluttering an eery noise without its petrified face shifting.
    Don’t lose it, para ya, don’t lose it–
    Two seconds, three. Rosario felt her tailbone press into the wall behi–no press into a taunt, elastic thread. With a nerve-knocking pitch it clict-itt-clacks onto the wall beside them.
    “Hold on to anything.
    In the end they all fade
    Fade and all alone, alone.”
    Rosario closes her eyes, wet dirt skitting off the wall onto her from the spider thing’s footing. Her heart thudded hot and airy, willing herself not to flinch. Almost, almost, just a couple seconds a couple minutes, don’t run don’t run don’t fight don’t run. Spiraling blackness of the cavern barred with surreally hopeful shredded sunlight.
    “Shh, it’s ok, Ehud, are you ok?” Rosario whispered and moved her hand from his mouth to his cold forehead, running her fingers into his spiky hair. “Ehud? Como son usted, Ehud?”
    He nodded faintly, and made an attempt to say something without using his voice before shaking himself a little.
    “Is it…is it gone…?”
    “Yes.” Rosario lied “let’s start moving, quietly, carino.”

The game will be based a little off Memoir 44 (a good game).

Oh no, he brought in Memoir 44, y’all gonna die he is awesome at that game! Also trapping Klein in there was a clever move, now two equally equipped opponents must save him!!! (yep he’s gonna dieXD)

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Jasmine
    @jasmine

@rose-colored-fancy

Alright! It. Is. On. XD, Fight scenes are my favorite

Gwendolyn

Liorah easily deflected my swipe, then brought her sword around in a slow arc at my thigh.

Suddenly she leaned and drove it harder, so that I barely had time to jump out of the way.

“What are you doing?!” I ask,

“That wasn’t me!” Liorah exclaims, sounding slightly panicky.

I open and shut my mouth a few times, eyes wide.

Oh no

If we don’t make this real, the castle is going to hurt someone.

Just don’t hurt her bad, please don’t hurt her bad.

I’m asking the castle as much as I’m asking myself. I really don’t want to do this.

“Come on, fight like you mean it. You weren’t kidding when you said your brother was better at this. You’re beyond useless. Draw some blood!” The castle snarls.

“know where you can shove that sword?” Liorah calls back, voice cracking. She glares at the castle, then her furious gaze settles on me. Brin hops off my shoulder and flutters to the farthest corner.

I stare blankly at Liorah, wondering why she’s mad at me. She’s the one who nearly took my leg off. Is this a act?

She brings her sword around in a flash, blade swinging for my side with the speed and power of a real sword stroke.

I barely bring my own blade around in time to block her angry blow. I catch her blade on my own in time to stop it. My eyes go wide.

Nope, not a act. It’s a real fight now.

My mind switches from careful and slightly playful, to focussed, serious, and observant.

One wrong move could get herself hurt. One wrong move.

I clench my jaw and use my sword to fling Liorah’s blade away from me.

I’ll need everything I have to beat her. She is taller, better armed, and more skilled, I am shorter and stronger. My advantages are that I might be quicker and  I’m a smaller target.

Part of me is upset that I have to fight my ally, the other part of me is oddly exited that I can finally fight my way out of this place.

I twist and bring my sword around at Liorah’s leg.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jasmine

Alright! It. Is. On. XD, Fight scenes are my favorite

Me too! It gives me a chance to practice writing shamshir fights XD Researching that was not easy XD In case you were wondering, there’s a huge difference when you use a strongly curved sword.

Liorah

Gwen’s eyes widened, then she narrowed them, concentrating. Now, it had really started.

She parried my cut, twisted, and returned it. Instead of deflecting the cut, I brought up my separ and caught her sword in a bind. I felt the power shiver through my arm. The force was considerable. She knew what she was doing, and she wasn’t holding back anymore.

Getting her sword in a bind gave me a split second advantage and I took it. Instead of backing out of reach, I sprang forward, into her range.

She twisted her sword out of the bind and tried to back away, so she could use her sword effectively again, but I didn’t let her back away. I was far too close for her to use her sword, but I could still use mine. I angled it so it was inches from me, and started on an upward, diagonal cut. If this had been a real fight, I would have aimed for her throat, but now I was careful that it didn’t quite touch her.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

The two of them keep inching away, the insides of the gully smelling worse than snotwax from Only Inn. Several wordless minutes pass, bumping into choke-wire webs here and there that stuck like entrails across the walls. Rosario doesn’t let go of his hand for a second, the warmth of her grip making his heart flutter despite the circumstances, or maybe part because of the circumstances. Things are too dangerous, too close and real for Ehud to even pretend he isn’t blushing.
    “Rosy…” He whispers as she tugs him through a thin crevice. “Are we just gonna keep running now?”
    She doesn’t say anything for several seconds and he watches the back of her curls quiver here and there from fractional gusts bouncing through the hole. Finally, slowly, Rosario squeezes his hand.
    “No.” She says so quietly he can barely hear her voice “I can’t protect you. I failed.”
    Ehud can’t think of anything to say so he touches her shoulder gently and then drops his head on her shoulder, tightly clasping her hand. Time seems at a standstill, cold, warm and desperate. I don’t want to die yet, The thought trickles through his mind, there’s so much I haven’t done. I wanna tell her.
    So clearly, despite his best efforts, he could see them growing up together. He could see them dating, maybe. Maybe even getting married, having kids. Part of him wants this moment to last forever, part of him knows it’s shattering his heart.
    “Ehud…I want to tell you something.” There’s a long pause, long enough Ehud shifts off her shoulder to look in her eyes.
    “Rosy?”
    “I just wanted to say,” Her voice tenses, her eyes so dark they could’ve been her soul. “I just wanted to say you’re…”
    Rosario doesn’t finish, curling black bangs flecked with brown tangle over her eyebrows.
    “I’m…?” Stupid, naïve, chaotic, silly? He waits for his sentence, stuffing his sticky hand in his pockets.
    “What I mean is…you’re someone…” Her voice is soft and raspy. She halts another agonizing second. Two…three…
    “Rosy…?”
    “Someone I hate less than the rest.” She exclaims finally.
    “Oh.” Ehud feels oddly disappointed, but can’t pinpoint why. Not able to articulate her emotion, he suddenly registers what her words. “What?”
    “Nada!” They both flinch, glancing up at the spiderzoid. Which is out of sight…

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Jasmine
    @jasmine

XD In case you were wondering, there’s a huge difference when you use a strongly curved sword.

I can picture the difference in my head, I think because they’re using different weapons its making the fight a lot more interesting!

Gwendolyn

Liorah blocked my strike between her shield and sword, lunging closer. I yanked my sword out of the tangle of metal and tried to back up to get enough room to swing my sword, but Liorah kept coming at me, giving me no room to swing.

My eyes blazed with  fury and excitement. I was more excited than upset, I loved having something to do, especially a challenge.

Liorah cut upwards, and I twisted awkwardly to dodge, bringing my sword up to block. I twisted my sword and shoved Liorah’s sword away from her hard with my own blade.

I jumped back while she recovered and swept my sword at her legs. She jumped over my sword and I ducked a swipe from her sword.

I planted my feet and drove my sword for her side, but I was careful to aim enough to the side that if I did make contact, I wouldn’t hurt her seriously.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

“Rosy…?”
    “Someone I hate less than the rest.” She exclaims finally.

Wow, Rosy’s a natural. XD That’s flawlessly in-character though XD I can’t wait to see what happens next!

@jasmine

I can picture the difference in my head, I think because they’re using different weapons its making the fight a lot more interesting!

IKR! I’ve actually watched a few videos on fights between shamshirs and longsword, and it’s actually really hard to win against a longsword. Shamshirs are actually made to be used on horseback while charging, so it wasn’t designed for hand-to-hand, originally. *Whispers* Your best bet is thrusting. It’s really hard to block a good thrust with a shamshir. Don’t tell Liorah I told you that.

Liorah: Why do you want me to lose!?

Me; Just making it more interesting…

Liorah

Gwen gave an awkward, desperate twist, barely getting out of the way of my cut.

She pushed my sword away with what was more a shove than a parry.

I tried to follow up my advantage, but Gwen managed to scramble backward and  swept her sword at my legs.

Her cut was so low that I jumped over her sword, bringing my sword in a horizontal cut. She ducked, then threw her weight into a cut at my side. I brought up my shield, but my angle was wrong and it deflected off, but it still hit me. The cut hadn’t been that hard to begin with, and my shield had absorbed most of the force, but her blade still sliced through my clothing, leaving a narrow cut on my side, near my waist.

“First point for Gwendolyn,” the castle intoned, “Two more points left.”

I winced, and I saw Gwen’s eyes widen in realization. I didn’t try to stem the trickle of blood, instead, I circled my sword around me and brought it down in a horizontal cut aimed at her head.

She ducked, again, bringing her sword up to parry mine. I’d expected that movement and didn’t try to slow my shamshir as it whistled above her head. Instead, I circled it around again, bringing it into a lower cut aimed at her torso.

I knew it was a bad cut ahead of time. The combination was good, but it was easy to block, so she did. I scrambled back, falling back into the rhythm of fighting. Forward on the offensive, backward on the defensive. The cut was a dim, throbbing sting. It didn’t feel serious, but it hurt every time I moved.

Still, I had to win. If Gwen got one more point, I’d already lost. I’d have to score the next two points. Apparently, a point was awarded every time you made contact, or perhaps every time you wounded your opponent. I had no idea which.

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Gwendolyn

Liorah raised her shield to block my strike, but my sword glanced of her shield and cut her side in spite of her efforts.

“First point for Gwendolyn,” the castle announced “Two more points left.”

Liorah winced and my eyes widened, exhilaration was replaced by guilt and a odd kind of fear. Two more blows would have to be dealt before this was over. I would have to hurt her or get hurt myself, accidentally or not.

Liorah swung at my head and I ducked, blocking with my sword. Then, swift as a cat, Liorah swung her sword at my exposed middle. I barley blocked it and Liorah scrambled back. My eyes narrowed slightly and I put all my concentration into the fight. I swung, Liorah blocked, vice versa. Our feet shuffled across the floor and the sound of clashing steel rang in my ears.

I raised my sword and aimed a strike at her thigh that I knew would be too easy to block.

I didn’t want to hurt her and didn’t want to be hurt myself. It didn’t realy matter anyway, she was a better than I was, so I had to fight hard either way. Every time I tried to let her knick me, the castle made me dodge.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Jasmine.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling @rusted-knight,

Do we have a plan, then?

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Well here is the board. Chinese forces are top, US bottom. Klein is in the elite infantry in the center sector.

Infantry has a two hex attack radius. Roll two dice for first hex, one for the second. Elite infantry has a three hex attack radius. Roll three dice for first hex, two for second and one for third. IFV has a three hex attack radius. Roll three dice for first two hexes and two for third hex. Tank has a four hex attack radius. Roll three dice for all hexes.

Dice are six sided. Two are infantry, one is grenade (attacks anything), one is a flag (causes attacked to retreat a hex, stackable) one is miss and the last is armor. Only one unit can be targeted in a roll.

Cards are used to move or attack. Movement is X amount of units in X sector. If X amount is not available, move those that are in that sector. Attack cards work the same but can specify units.

I think that is all the basic rules. Let the game begin.

@joelle-stone
    @mischievous-thwapling

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Liorah

Gwen aimed a slow cut at my thigh. I parried it, then scrambled back. Neither of us was winning, but I was steadily getting more and more tired. Fights didn’t usually last this long.

Besides that, the cut on my side seared every time I raised my arm to use my shield. I had to end this, and fast, or I would get so exhausted that my movements would be uncontrolled and then one of us would get seriously hurt.

I slashed her sword out of the way with a ferocity I hadn’t used before. I was getting too desperate. Before she could get her guard up again, I twisted and thrust at her chest. It didn’t have as much force as I would ordinarily use, and it was hard to thrust accurately, but I hadn’t done it so far and hoped to surprise her.

I haven’t written about Ferran in a really long time, but I’ll try to write something for him soon.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Okay, I guess I’ll go… 🙂

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

“Hey! Get me outta here!” someone yelled. Riure stiffened. The voice was muted, but it sounded like the person who had stayed to die with her and Gavril and the others. What was his name?

“Oh, too bad,” Lord Castle said, sarcasm dripping from his voice. It was different this time – higher-pitched with a clean-cut accent Riure didn’t recognize. “Well, here is the trial for you all. Win the game or the soldier gets it.”

What was that supposed to mean? What game?

“They don’t even know how to play!” Frustration edged the soldier’s muted voice. Was he trapped?

“Well, that’s too bad,” Lord Castle repeated. “China moves first.”

China? What was going on?

“Hey, can you hear me!” the soldier shouted. “Hey! You gotta help me with this one!”

Riure followed the sound of his voice and suddenly found her feet knocked out from beneath her. A small cry slipped out of her mouth as she fell, but something was beneath her and stayed her fall. A chair? She cautiously reached out, her fingers brushing against what felt like a table. Sadiq’s breath warmed her left wrist.

“Do you know what to do, Zanar?” Riure asked, alarm creeping into her heart. What would happen if they lost against whatever this China thing was?

——————–

@rusted-knight
    (good idea!) @mischievous-thwapling

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 996 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest