fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 969 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Oh, just wanted to add, please don’t get a bad opinion of poor Gavril! Liorah’s dream turned his personality upside-down, he’s nothing like that XD

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Jasmine
    @jasmine

@rose-colored-fancy

Liorah: *Leafs through the manuscript of the second book then hurls it at me* This is why! We’ve done this ‘worst-fears-dream-thing’ three times already! THREE! Me: *Crosses arms* Not my fault, that’s just how you work. If you’d face your fears instead of pretending they don’t exist, you wouldn’t have nightmares about them. Also, could you get some more concrete fears? How am I supposed to write dreams about your complicated psychological messes? Fear of heights or even something like fear of sheep would be easier! Come on! Liorah: *Waves dismissively* Not my problem. Figure it out. Now excuse me, I have a nightmare to get through. For the hundredth time! *Stomps off* Me: *Shouting after her* You have a wounded leg! You can’t stomp! Liorah: I can do whatever I like and you can’t stop me!

Oh my goodness! that was SO funny! I love seeing people interact with their character, it’s  always so interesting.

Gwendolyn’s dream

Gwendolyn ran. She ran down Elwood path to Themyscira where dark smoke twisted into the sky. Nothing was there. She was alone running through the golden plains, seeming to get nowhere. All at onece she burst through the broken gates of Themyscira and skidded to a stop. Every single building was on fire, every single man was battling against each other, every single women and child was huddled in a corner. Everywhere she looked, war was destroying all she knew and loved. Themyscira, commanded by prince Ashton was fighting Fillimere, led by King Hamza and Captain Ern. In the leader’s eyes was the consuming glow of greed. They would stop at nothing to get what satisfied them and would put their people in harm to get it. Nothing would satisfy them enough and nothing ever would.

She burst of running again and bolted for her home. She ran past the innocent people who had been dragged into this war by there king. Something tripped her and she spilled to the ground tumbling head over heels. She looked back and saw what had tripped her. A mostly-black hawk law in the middle of the street with an arrow in its back.

“Brin?”

Gwendolyn picked up the bird and held it for a moment. Then, set the body down and ran again. She reached her flaming home in time to see those she loved dragged from their home and bound tight.

“Gwendolyn!” They cried, “help us! Save us! You know you can! Please!”

And she could, if she fought she would be able to save them. She fingered her bow but stayed back. She did nothing.

what are you doing?! Save them! Even if you die trying you should fight!                        Her mind shouted.

She stood and watched as her family was dragged away. Right before the last person disappeared around a corner the person looked back. The girl’s eyes where icy blue, and her hair was almost as white as snow. Dirt stained her lovely face. “Why?” Her eyes asked, “why?”.

Darkness.

All was dark except for a tiny flickering glow in the distance. Gwendolyn walked toward the light for what seemed like years. At the end she found a torch-lit dungeon. The ones whom she loved where all chained to a wall. In all there eyes she saw sadness, pain, and fear. She could see Prince Ashton, King Hamza, and Captain Ern, at the other end. Unbound and Smiling darkly.

Gwendolyn looked back to her friends and in all there eyes she saw the same question; ” why? Why didn’t you?”

She looked at the girl from earlier and saw something in her eyes that hurt her even more; hope. “You can still help us.”

Gwendolyn turned away.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::end of dream:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So basically Gwendolyn’s word fear is that she would betray her friends and family even though she could save them.

Me: so what do you think?

Gwendolyn: I hate you.

Me: *shrugs* I know.

@everyone

That was the first time I wrote about a worst fear. I would appreciate your opinion or suggestions ’cause I’m bad at judging my own work. Lol.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

LOL!! Rosairo and Ehud’s story telling is absolutely PERFECT for their characters! XD

Ha thanks, these guys are so fun to write with!

Ooooh! *takes “Die Villain!” sign and playfully whacks Konyar with it.*Konyar grabs another “Go Hero!” sign, and a lightsaber-like fight ensues with the signs. *Makes mistake of whacking Rilyn with the sign, and she turns into dragon forms, grabs the sign, and snaps it in half with a raised brow. *Gets message and scampers off to eat candy and ice cream with Wingiby*

( *But there’s no candy left cos Ehud ate it all and is now sugar high leaving Rosario to smirk at the chaos ensuing.* )

That was amazing! I love the way they told the story! I have this perfectly sharp image of Rosario literally dragging Ehud around by his hood. It’s the cutest thing! I’m ‘shipping’ them so much! XD

Liorah was in the middle of a tragedy which probably would have made Ehud cry if he’d heard the whole thing.

Aww! That’s so cute!

“And they came out with no episode fifty-three.”

That really made me laugh! They’re the cutest!

Thanks so much! That means a lot to me that I can work a shipable couple and I’m enjoying it so much!
    Btw, Liorah’s fear is sooo identifiable! It’s really good!

That was an awesome explanation and really helped explain why Ehud does things the way he does! You really know your characters personally!

Also, your guess got several things right! How did you make it?

And I love Ehud’s enthusiasm for storytelling!!!

Thanks!
    Oh, actually that was mostly wishful thinking on my part I guess in part thinking how I’d like to do it if I had that story. It was vivid enough it felt like a glimpse in on your train of thought.
    Lol, Ehud is always enthusiastic and then some.

Ehud in the process of catching up to Rosario nearly tripped on Mr Pipe Man again.
    “Sorry!” he dropped to his knees beside Mr Pipe Man and stared up at him. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to hurt you earlier. Are you ok? Can I he…?”
    Mr Pipe Man gave him such a murderous look Ehud for once actually took the hint and bounded back giving him the appropriate amount of space.
    Fumbling with his pockets Ehud found a pink marker and started scribbling on the walls. It began with flowers and patterns until he just wasn’t paying attention to what he was writing. Five minutes into this he was drawing an I–<3–Rosar-
    “What are you doi–?”
    “I didn’t do it!” He yelped and nearly dropped his pen accidentally bouncing it from one hand to the other trying to catch it. Whirling around he panicked when Rosario was in front of him frowning quizzically. “Heheh, nothing I…not…anything doing! I’m doing not anything!”
    With the palm of his hand he frantically rubbed at the letters behind his back turning completely crimson and then paling very obviously hiding something behind his back. Rosario tried to peer over him but he plastered himself to the wall so she couldn’t see it. His breath caught as her eyes narrowed at him certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was going to pummel him if she read that.
    “Well whatever you’re not doing, idiota, it better not kill anybody.”
    “Right…yes absolutely it’s not…I’m…” going to die! Ehud stifled a whimper. Crossing her arms Rosario studied him carefully, specks of curls whisping over her lowered brows. He gave a nervous laugh and did not move from his spot.
    “You’re feeling ok, cari–?” She reached to feel his forehead but he frantically propelled her away from his unfortunate doodles. “Yeah, great abso–I’m just tired aren’t you tired?” he faked a loud yawn “We gotta get some sleep, sleep’s very important ri–?”
    “Yeah yeah, En boca cerrada no entran moscas,” She rolled her eyes allowing him to forcibly cajole her somewhere else “you can shut up now and keep your secrets. Get to bed, idiota, buenos noches.”
    “Oh right! Hahah–definitely I-…oh, goodnight.” Ehud gave a lame sorta wave and she pulled him over by the shoulders and kissed his forehead before whirling him around and pushing him back to the group. Eyes completely glazed over his stumbled over compliantly and dropped his glowing pony out of the way enough Rosario wouldn’t see him tenitively touch his forehead, even though it was a familiar sort’ve sibling gesture for as long as he remembered.
    Blinking he curled up beside Riure and dropped to a fitful sleep where he dreamt about Rosario laughing at him, telling him he was immature and not being able to take him seriously for anything. About his brother and his dad fading into some happy place where he couldn’t go because he was just a silly kid. About meeting his mother and her smiling at him, telling him everything was alright like he was any five-year-old, before walking away and never returning.

*me: …Well that was better than facing your dystopia thingy again, right?
    Ehud–sobbing hysterically–
    Me: …
    Me:–shouldn’t edit out. Stay strong.–
    Ehud–wraps arms around me and sobs into my shoulder–
    Me: That’s it! No more worst fears for Ehud, I don’t wanna be that writer anymore!*

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

( *But there’s no candy left cos Ehud ate it all and is now sugar high leaving Rosario to smirk at the chaos ensuing.* )

That’s hilarious!! XD

That means a lot to me that I can work a shipable couple and I’m enjoying it so much!
    Btw, Liorah’s fear is sooo identifiable! It’s really good!

Thank you so much! (I was afraid her dream came out kind of weird XD) I wasn’t sure how to portray her fear of inadequacy and fear of rejection, but I think that did it pretty well! Another interesting detail that didn’t translate well into text was that Gavril was actually the only one who could see her. She was invisible to everyone else. This was because she’s always felt as though Gavril is the only one who sees her as she is. Which is why it was so upsetting when he turned against her. Poor Liorah, I feel kind of bad for her.

Liorah: *hisses* Liar! I know you’re enjoying this.

“Yeah yeah, En boca cerrada no entran moscas,”

It’s so cool that you have Rosario speak Spanish (I think?) That’s a really cool detail! Do you speak it?

Five minutes into this he was drawing an I–<3–Rosar-

Eyes completely glazed over his stumbled over compliantly and dropped his glowing pony out of the way enough Rosario wouldn’t see him tenitively touch his forehead, even though it was a familiar sort’ve sibling gesture for as long as he remembered.

Both of these made me squeal happily! They’re so CUTEE!!! I’m shipping them more with every passing post!

*me: …Well that was better than facing your dystopia thingy again, right?
    Ehud–sobbing hysterically–
    Me:–shouldn’t edit out. Stay strong.–
    Ehud–wraps arms around me and sobs into my shoulder–
    Me: That’s it! No more worst fears for Ehud, I don’t wanna be that writer anymore!*

Aww!! NoooOO! Ehud doesn’t deserve worst fears! He deserves all the ice cream and hugs! Unlike Liorah, she deserves a nightmare now and then for being sassy.

Liorah: *Takes off one of her boots and hurls it at me*

*Dodges the boot* See!? My entire relationship with Liorah is summarized in “You can’t do that!” “I do whatever I want and you can’t stop me!”

Liorah: *Grins smugly* You know it. It’s my story after all.

@jasmine

Me: so what do you think?

Gwendolyn: I hate you.

Me: *shrugs* I know.

XD I love it when characters break the fourth wall! It’s always funny!

I love Gwen’s’ worst fear! It was fascinating! I’m curious who the girl with the blue eyes and light hair was! I’m sure that’s a part of the story though 😉 It’s a really cool fear! It shows that she doesn’t trust herself to be brave, I think? That’s an awesome idea!

Oh my goodness! that was SO funny! I love seeing people interact with their character, it’s  always so interesting

Thank you so much! It’s always fun when Liorah chooses to argue!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Hrm… I’ll post something for Riure once I come up with a worst fear for her. XD I haven’t really thought on it too much. 🙂

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Ha ha, nvm. I already posted that before. XD

Jasmine
    @jasmine

@rose-colored-fancy

I love Gwen’s’ worst fear! It was fascinating! I’m curious who the girl with the blue eyes and light hair was! I’m sure that’s a part of the story though It’s a really cool fear! It shows that she doesn’t trust herself to be brave, I think? That’s an awesome idea!

My friend and I are working on a story together, the girl with the blue eyes and light hair is my friends character.  The characters haven’t actually met yet but I thought I’d throw her in there since she was Gwendolyn’s most detailed  ( soon-to-be) friend😛. Also, like you said, I sorta switched up her personality.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Thank you so much! (I was afraid her dream came out kind of weird XD) I wasn’t sure how to portray her fear of inadequacy and fear of rejection, but I think that did it pretty well! Another interesting detail that didn’t translate well into text was that Gavril was actually the only one who could see her. She was invisible to everyone else. This was because she’s always felt as though Gavril is the only one who sees her as she is. Which is why it was so upsetting when he turned against her. Poor Liorah, I feel kind of bad for her.

Man that makes it even more deep. And lol Liorah’s so snarky

It’s so cool that you have Rosario speak Spanish (I think?) That’s a really cool detail! Do you speak it?

Sadly no, I don’t speak Spanish. What I do is, I like watching movies I’ve several times with subtitles in different languages and writing down phrases with translations whenever I find something in books or movies and then “cleverly” sneaking them into my character’s speech. Except I just recently learned the different dialects of Spanish are so different they don’t mix well so…that was an oversight…
    What she’s saying there I pasted off a book called Viper (awesome) and it translates; “flies cannot enter a closed mouth” aka “shut up, idiota.”
    But I just like picking up words and phrases from other languages, my papa taught me a smattering of Italian and I know like one or two fragments of French and stuff like that but Spanish is usually the easiest to get ahold of. Do you know any other languages or bits of other languages and can you teach me?

It’s been quiet all my shift, enough time with it to think or go through the seven circles to avoid it. My hands filter through the shaft of my gun. Always clean your gun after you fire it, that’s how they work. Follow simple, clear rules and it’s always ready for you, if only people were that easy. But whatever they’re all unpredictably predictable.
    That unbearably-adorably silly pink glow fuzzes on some time into it so Ehud’s awake again. Never will lose that look, you know, those pure, sweet wide eyes that you just never will live up to, not this broken, not ever.
    “Hi…?” You will not believe the level of pitiful his eyes can reach, or maybe you would with this chiquito. Before you know, right, he’s curled into my shoulder like that. Because Ehud might only sit still ten minutes after he’s dead I’m poked along my chin and neck with messy spikes of hair and he feels warm the sort of pleasant warmth that doesn’t quite have that whole warm fuzzy crap but it’s nice enough.
    “You ok, idiota?” A couple vigorous digs into my shoulder signify a nod but everything else gave a bend toward denial, but what the devil, do I look like I know how to deal with this?
    “Rosy…do you think I’m, ya’know…dumb?” Why does he put me in these situations?
    “Define dumb.” First, I need a thorough assessment of this before I can give some shotty emotional-whatever answer here. Inefficient, incompetent, Ehud would be absolutely those things. Lacking in cleverness or creativity he certainly is not. Channeling his ability to be both completely charming and trustworthy can get him and me places I wouldn’t be able to otherwise, you’ve got a lot of workable assets and liabilities there like in any nutcase existence we call humanity.
    “Ya’know…not on the level with you..or mature enough?” I have to take a breath here, what kind of answer does he want from me? I can’t do this sort of interaction stuff, why does he come to me of all people? When’s he going to learn I’m not great a person?
    “Very often I have difficulty taking you seriously because you fail to account for the consequences of your actions. You have a tendency to not believe people capable of violence even when proven otherwise.” What? You expected something blatantly silky from me? “But I’ve found you have a greater capacity for goodness than I’ve discovered in any other person, that makes people much more ready to trust or help you than they would me. This and your vibrant imagination generally compensate for the rest. Your personality is distinctive and original and not to be measured along standards and perimeters normally set.”
    “Oh…” He gave pause before saying anything else but he finally said it in a couple seconds. “Can you say that again…slowly?”
    “You’re an idiot and I like you that way.”
    “I’m not sure that’s much better.” He said in his laughably squeaky voice. Was he really going to make us both go through this even more?
    “Just. Go to bed, carino.”
    “It’s my turn to watch.”
    “Go to bed, carino.” This is just not my day.
    “You said from the order of least injured to most injured that could still do it. I’m barely injured, it’s my turn!”
    “No.” Look, do you want Ehud on guard duty? And I don’t care if he thinks it’s a scratch I’ll murder the next beast that claps eyes on him if it so much as breaths.
    “Rosy, come on! I can do this, I’m not a kid anymore.” Do you know what’s worse than Ehud’s puppy eyes? That’s him trying to glare at you, and believe you me, whatever you’ve done/not done it’s all as unjust as black if you get an indignant look from him. Not to mention he still had one arm squeezed around my shoulders and you just try saying no to that.
    “No.” I repeated firmly as if this argument was already won we both knew it was already lost. “Fine. You stay up an hour, maybe two. You don’t move from this spot, idiota. If anything happens you wake me up first, don’t you dare go to explore it, comprende?”
    “You mean it?! You won’t regret this!”
    “I regret this as of yesterday. Buenos-noches, ragazzo.” At his over-prodding I have to get off. He’s a sweet boy, nothing will ever hurt him, I think as I fade to sleep, I won’t let it.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Will churn out a Riure post ASAP. Life’s a little hectic right now. If I don’t get it done today, Monday is my next free option. Just a heads up!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jasmine

Ooh, that’s cool! The collab sounds awesome!

@this-is-not-an-alien

Man that makes it even more deep. And lol Liorah’s so snarky

Thank you! I had fun with it! (Don’t tell Liorah that.) I know right! I have no idea when she got so snarky, it wasn’t in my original plan for her. I do adore snark in characters, so it’s probably that coming through.

Do you know any other languages or bits of other languages and can you teach me?

You asked the right person! XD. I know three languages (four if you count Latin, and five if you count understanding but not speaking German) I speak Afrikaans, Dutch, and English. (English is my third language and my favorite.)

Tell me if you want to know any phrases in any of those languages, or if you want any pointers on writing multilingual characters. There are some things that authors get wrong consistently, (Switching from one language to the other is the easiest thing in the world.) so tell me if you want to know some tips! The first thing that comes to mind is that you constantly blank out on words, even in your mother tongue, and even if you actually know them. Example: I just completely blanked out on the word “sentence” while writing Liorah’s part below and literally just sat staring at the screen like “Vonnis. Come on, what’s English for vonnis? I know this!” I had to resort to looking it up. *Sigh*

“flies cannot enter a closed mouth” aka “shut up, idiota.”

LOL! That’s hilarious!! In Dutch, there are a couple of ways of saying ‘shut up’, all of which are hilarious. You can say: ‘Hou je kop (dicht)!’, the literal translation is “hold your head (shut)”. Or, my personal favorite: “Hou je waffel!” Which translates to “hold your waffle.” I have no idea where that comes from, but it never fails to be funny. Dutch has the weirdest sayings, and when you translate them literally, they become twice as funny!

“But I’ve found you have a greater capacity for goodness than I’ve discovered in any other person, that makes people much more ready to trust or help you than they would me. This and your vibrant imagination generally compensate for the rest. Your personality is distinctive and original and not to be measured along standards and perimeters normally set.”
    “Oh…” He gave pause before saying anything else but he finally said it in a couple seconds. “Can you say that again…slowly?”

That is one of the most Rosario things Rosario has ever said!

@joelle-stone

Awesome! Can’t wait!

Liorah

My dream was still curled around my neck when I woke, slowly trying to strangle me. I press against the stone wall behind me, my leg still aching. The dream had been awful. Why hadn’t they seen me? And what had I done to be made tribeless? The disgrace of being rejected from a tribe was usually reserved for criminals. It was a life long sentence of disgrace and rejection.

Ehud is curled up against the other girl. They seemed to be talking, and I listened to distract myself.

“Rosy…do you think I’m, ya know…dumb?”

I frowned. Ehud was not dumb. Even though he had reckless, happy-go-lucky energy that didn’t seem to consider the consequences of anything, he wasn’t dumb.

The girl answered in a long, detailed speech I heard almost nothing of, and understood even less. Ehud seemed equally confused and asked her something.

I heard her answer clearly.

“You’re an idiot and I like you that way.”

Clearly, she meant it in an affectionate manner. I smiled, remembering how I called Gavril an idiot on a regular basis. Well, he called me a pest, so that was fair.

Ehud and the girl got in an argument of some sort, and the girl finally relented and closed her eyes. Ehud stayed awake, apparently keeping watch. Oh dear. I would stay awake too, I wouldn’t let him keep the watch alone. If something happened, if the castle attacked again, I wasn’t leaving him alone. I would protect him if it killed me.

“Ehud? You know, I found out something really interesting.” I said, gently.

“I’ve known many who claimed to be wise, many who prided themselves on their riches, or their power, or their might.” I paused, trying to organize my thoughts.

“But I’ve found that those, despite all they have, are often rude, cruel, poor, and foolish. And I’ve met those that have treasure greater than all of them, despite what the world might say. Those who are kind. You’re one of them, and I’m glad I’ve met you.”

I let out my breath. If anyone else had been awake, or if Ehud had been anyone else, I would never have said it. But this was Ehud, and it was true. He was one of the kindest people I knew. He reminded me of Acyn and Gavril that way, if in no other. I smiled. Acyn would like Ehud.

If the castle attacked again, I needed to be able to use my leg. I’d rested for several hours, and it ached less. Time to try it.

I pushed back against the stone wall and slowly got up, without using my wounded leg. Every muscle in my body ached, and I was so stiff I could barely force myself to move. I shouldn’t have sat still so long.

I teetered on one leg, still leaning against the wall. I carefully placed a little weight on my sore leg. I gritted my teeth as black spots danced in front of my eyes. But the pain was manageable. I caught my breath as I put more weight on it and tried to take a step. Fire burned up my leg, but I managed to take another step before my leg crumpled beneath me. I sat down with a sigh, trying not to wake anyone. I could probably walk by morning.

Okay, that was very quick healing, but if she doesn’t get better fast, the characters will be stuck in one spot for really long. So, I’m erring on the side of slightly unrealistic here.

Me: You’re ridiculous and adorable.

Liorah: Adorable?! Me?! I am intimidating at best, and terrifying at worst. 

Me: Explain this then, Miss Toughness: “I would protect him if it killed me.” Really? Come on, you’ve known him for a few hours!

Liorah: That’s an exception!

Me: See, you’re cute.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@rose-colored-fancy

I loved that post! Excellent job!

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@joelle-stone

Wow. Thanks for your feedback! It’s very helpful. For most of your questions, I can only say that it’s a simplified version. The real version has more details and much more flowery language.

Oh, I see! Thank you! And whoa, your real version must be super long! 😀

So, the rebellious pieces are Ice, Fire, and Water. Riure was saying that the leaders were the rebellious pieces there. 🙂 As for the Guardians and Kening, I cut out a part about them for condensing purposes. 😉

Oh, I totally get it now! Thank you! And I’m glad you didn’t forget about the Guardians, ha ha, cause they were interesting 😉

My deepest thanks for your feedback! This is one of the hardest parts of my book.

You’re totally welcome! 😀

(Also, I loved the part about bringing pillows and ice cream and blankets and, funniest of all, “Go Hero” and “Die Villain” signs. You made my day. XD)

Ha ha, thank you!! I love to make peoples’ days.

@mischievous-thwapling

Wingiby!! *bowls you over with a hug*

*Recovers from hug* THWAP!!!!!!!

Ooooh! *takes “Die Villain!” sign and playfully whacks Konyar with it.*Konyar grabs another “Go Hero!” sign, and a lightsaber-like fight ensues with the signs. *Makes mistake of whacking Rilyn with the sign, and she turns into dragon forms, grabs the sign, and snaps it in half with a raised brow. *Gets message and scampers off to eat candy and ice cream with Wingiby*

Love it!!!! 😀 “Lightsaber-like fight,” lol

Hmmm… Good point. I’d nearly forgotten about the worst fear thing. I agree with @jasmine that’d it probably work well if they all had their worst fears in their dreams, but I’m good with whatever!!

Ok, looks like we’re doing dreams! *rubs hands together and finds panel on keyboard labeled “TORMENT,” then finds button stamped with “DREAM.”

@rose-colored-fancy

Thank you! It’s actually a joke since it’s Turkish for ‘king’. Yes, I named him king King. I thought that was funny XD

Ok, that is a totally awesome name! I love the idea of “King King.”

That’s awesome! XD *Sits down beside you and grabs a spoon for the ice-cream*

I just love how y’all join in with me 🙂

And that was a wonderful worst fear!! (well, the fear isn’t wonderful, but you get what I mean) It was very unique and shows more of Liorah!! And I love what she said to Ehud 🙂

@jasmine

“You can still help us.”

That sent chills up my spine! Awesome job!

@this-is-not-an-alien

That look Wylo gave Ehud is exactly what he would have done! And please, DO NOT TORMENT POOR EHUD ANY MORE!!!! He has gone through so much!!! 🙁 We cannot harm him anymore!!!!! It is so sad!!! Now I am so sad!!!! *goes off to weep*

And I loved your last post, btw.

@everyone

Since we are doing this, let me try:

Me: *sitting and typing.*

Kiark: *looks over my shoulder.*

Me: *frantically closes out of page and google searches a definition for a word.*

Kiark: *still hovering* What are you writing about?

Me: Nothing! *I have been staring at the definition for too long*

Kiark: *clicks into my doc before I can stop him and gives me murderous look* What are you doing?!

Me: *blank*

Kiark: Let me make your worst dream come true. *draws sword*

Me: *slams computer shut to trap him inside the doc.* I will never. do. that. again!

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

With a sigh, Riure let her back slide away from the wall until she was comfortably curled up on the floor. Sadiq draped her nose across Riure’s legs for a moment, then decided that was not good enough and scooted across the floor with multiple grunts and whines of pain until she was nestled in a little ball, fitting perfectly into the curve Riure’s torso and knees created. Riure sighed, let a smile glow on her face for a moment, and wrapped herself tighter around her dog, content to be with her. Sadiq was alive. So everything else was okay.

Someone – Ehud, probably – was on Riure’s other side, his back to hers. He was soon breathing peacefully.

Riure let a small puff of breath escape her lips. She wished she could fall asleep that fast. Something seemed off, though, and she couldn’t tell what. Maybe it was the small painful noises people kept making. She wished she could help, but while she had some experience as a healer, she had never studied the art closely. She regretted that now.

Riure didn’t know she was asleep until Ehud woke her up by getting up of the floor. Was it morning already? Riure didn’t bother exerting the effort to open her eyelids, instead listening to a hushed conversation between Rosario and the boy. She turned her ears off after Ehud hesitantly asked, “Rosy… do you think I’m, ya know… dumb?” It was meant to be private, and Riure had learned after many years of such things how to tune out if she couldn’t escape the room. She buried her face in Sadiq’s fur, letting her stroking fingers slow until once again, she was fast asleep.

It was daytime, and Riure could see. Daylight never looks this bright in real life, Riure thought, smiling. Dreaming was one of her favorite past times, whether or not she was awake.

Sadiq bounded through the tall, dancing grass to her, pinkish tongue lolling joyfully out of her mouth and a big puppy grin stretched across her dog face. Riure laughed and knelt, holding her arms out. Sadiq increased her speed, and Riure marveled at the way her sinewy body worked. Black and white fur flashed in the beautiful sunlight.

Then she was gone. Riure gave a cry and jumped up, running to where Sadiq had been, happily running, just a moment before. There, laying on the ground, was her dog, whining in such a heart-breaking way Riure felt tears constrict her throat, making it burn. This rarely happened in dreams. Was this a dream? What if it wasn’t?

“Sadiq!” Riure cried, falling onto the ground by her dog. She tried to go to  her, tried to crawl, but something held her back. She could only watch as Sadiq lifted her head, agony written throughout her tense body, and met Riure’s eyes. Anger flashed through the dog’s eyes, then she did something Riure had never ever seen her do.

She growled at her mistress.

And then she was gone, lifeless on the ground. Riure was released from her frozen state and ran to Sadiq’s side, pouring her tears into her dog’s body. “No, no no!” It was the only thing she could say, childish though it seemed.

A hand fell onto her shoulder, and Riure turned away from Sadiq’s corpse to behold a man, tall and somber, with carefully trimmed beard and flowing golden-brown hair, just like hers. “Riure,” he said in a deep voice, one she had loved.

Riure glanced at Sadiq, but the dog was gone. She didn’t especially care anymore, not in this dream. Her joy was so complete she thought she’d fly apart with glee. “Daer!” she shouted, and flung herself into his arms.

He pushed her away with a cynical smile. “Look at you.” His tone was cold. “Useless.”

Riure felt the tears begin to rise again. “I’m not useless, Daer, really.”

“Oh?” Her father folded his arms, his eyes bored. “You’re blind, aren’t you? No rich man in his right senses will marry a girl who is blind. You have no chance in the world.”

Tears fell to Riure’s feet. “Is that why you left?” she asked in a whisper.

“Yes. You and your mother disappointed me deeply when you were born. I care nothing for you. Go live your happy life with your beloved Adanyi, for all I care. In my mind, you never existed.”

“Daer,” Riure whispered, her voice breaking. Never had such words torn her heart. 

Without answering, her father turned away, and marched off. “But Daer, I have something to tell you!” Riure called after him. He was the person she’d been searching for all her life, so she could tell him that she still loved him, even though he abandoned her; so that she could spin a yarn so beautiful in his presence that he would weep that he had left her; a tale that struck his heart and turned him off the path that hurt her more and more with every choice she heard of. So she could tell him of Adanyi and Kening, of the love that had made something broken beautiful.

He didn’t look back.

Instantly the scene changed to a place Riure knew well. A small home, clean but shabby, where she had lived out half of her childhood. Already knowing who was there, Riure turned to see her mother, reclining on the single bed as the sickness took her. “You’re just innocent, my sweet,” her mother said, her voice weak and feeble.

“Wait, Maer, don’t go,” Riure said, grabbing her mother’s hand. “You need to learn about someone who will keep you from eternal torment.”

Her mother didn’t respond. The life emptied from her eyes, and Riure was left by her bedside, weeping that she hadn’t saved her mother. 

Then the scene changed again, but this time Riure was dreading it. Wake up, she told herself. Get out!

It was no use. She was in a forest, cooking over a fire beneath the wide canopy. A person, more woman than girl, stood before her. Wide wings flared from her back, and her face was kind yet sorrowful.

“Lytt!” Riure cried, jumping up and going to hug Lytt. Don’t, she told herself. This is what you did with Daer, and he vanished.

“Greetings, Riure,” Lytt said, smiling as her wings engulfed Riure. To Riure’s great pleasure, her friend didn’t fade.

When Lytt let go, Riure stepped back and examined her friend up and down. Lytt had described how she looked, but Riure had never actually seen  her before. The Feathered Ave before her looked a little odd, as if the pieces that Lytt had told her didn’t quite fit together quite right, but Riure didn’t care. She was seeing her best friend for the first time. She had never realized how much that was taken for granted.

Then Lytt crumpled, pain pulling at her limbs. “Riure,” she moaned. “Riure, help!”

“I’m trying!” Riure shrieked, but even as she raced around, she could not find the herbs. She returned to Lytt’s side, refusing to look at her thrashing body but keeping her eyes on Lytt’s. The bird girl’s eyes were dark, so dark they looked like a stream on a dark night. “Lytt, look at me,” Riure said, panic making her voice rise. “Do you believe in Adanyi? That he is the son of Kening, our Creator? That he saved us?”

Lytt gave her a look of condescending disgust. “No.”

She died.

Riure thought she was going to fly to pieces. Her father, mother, best friend, everyone she knew were never going to become Redeemed, she knew. She knew in that odd dream-like way, and she knew that knowing was never wrong. They were all being tortured forever, never to see what she saw, with or without her physical sight. They’d never notice the beauty of the world and gasp in awe that someone could create it. Instead they would be forever apart from the One who held everything together. They’d always be apart from her. She was the only one. She wasn’t strong enough. She couldn’t save them.

Useless, her father’s voice whispered.

Just innocent, her mother said. Riure had heard those words when her mother had spoken to the doctor, just before she died. She’d said that Riure might not be much to look like, and that she may act dumb at times, and that she’d never amount to anything, but it was all “just innocence”.

Failure, Lytt hissed.

Red. Pain. Sorrow so sharp it cut Riure to the core. “I’m sorry!” she shrieked, and darkness enveloped her.

Riure sat up, gasping for breath. Sweat soaked every inch of her body. She trembled, each scene of her dream coming back to her vividly. Daer, in etarnal pain. Maer, never freed from her agony. Lytt, led astray and suffering for it.

She couldn’t bear it.

Burying her face in her hands, Riure wept like never before. Why did it hurt so bad? Why did it tear her heart apart, then rip the torn pieces from her chest one by one, then let them fall to the ground only to be trampled to a million bits? Why had they not believed? Why would Kening, who was supposed to be such a good, great God let them suffer like that?

Trust me. 

Riure cried harder. “Yes, sir,” she whispered. Part of her was angry with him, the other part wanted to fall into his arms and hear him tell her that it is for her good. But how could it be for their good?

When Riure lifted her tearstained face up from her hands and opened her eyes, fresh pain stabbed her heart.

Gone was the beautiful sky and swaying grass, the majestic trees and royal mountains. Everything was black.

Useless.

—————————————————

Erm. Wow. Okay. I tried to stay true to Riure’s worst fear, but she actually has a lot of fears. Who knew? *shrugs* And that has to be one of the worst pieces I’ve ever written, so sorry about that.

(since this looks like fun)

Riure: *cries so hard she gets water all over her dress*

Me: *starts crying* Oh, no, Riure, I’m so sorry!

Riure: *hugs me and sobs into my shoulder* Why? *sobs*

Me: *hugs her harder and says sorry over and over again*

Riure: I’m never going to be able to sleep again!

Me: *cringes* I’m so so so sorry, Riure. That was awful, I agree.

Riure: *gets hopeful look on face* So you’ll delete it?

Me: Erm…

Riure: *pushes away from me, goes and cries into Ehud’s shoulder* She hates me Ehud!

Me: She’s never going to laugh again. *melts into puddle of absolute sympathy and self-anger and terrible sadness* You literally just destroyed your favorite cheerful character, Joelle. You are awful.

Other me: *moans* I know!

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

*sniffles*

*wipes eyes*

*cries*

*sobs*

*wails*

*hugs both you and Riure, blubbering*

I’m sorry, but those are the only words I can use to describe how awesome that was…

And btw….As soon as I’m done with this worst fear thing, I’m going to bring you-know-who in…(If you don’t remember who “you-know-who” is, remember what I idea I had at the meeting. And if you still don’t remember after that, just tell me to quit it with the cryptic way of saying things and spit it out 😛 )

@wingiby-iggiby

*as soon as you’ve recovered, bowls you over with another hug, but then pulls back sheepishly*

And eeeep!! I know…This is going to be so fun for me, and SO terrible for Konyar and Rilyn *cackles evilly*

@rose-colored-fancy

THAT POST WAS SO COOL!! It added this whole new dimension to Liorah!!

@jasmine

Woah……. That was awesome. *wants to comfort Gwen*

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum.
    ~Author Unknown

Jasmine
    @jasmine

@joelle-stone

Riure: *gets hopeful look on face* So you’ll delete it?

Me: Erm…

Riure: *pushes away from me, goes and cries into Ehud’s shoulder* She hates me Ehud!

*wipes tears of laughter from eyes* That *giggles* was hilarious! I thought Riure’s fear was really cool. I love the way she wants to save her family so bad and is afraid of failing.

@wingiby-iggiby

That sent chills up my spine! Awesome job!

Thank you! That was my first time writing something like that. I’m glad you like it!

@mischievous-thwapling

Woah……. That was awesome. *wants to comfort Gwen*

Thanks! I also feel like I want to comfort all the characters ’cause we ARE the ones doing this to them. Sometimes I wonder what they would do to us if they where the ones writing our story’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 969 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest