fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,906 through 1,920 (of 2,830 total)
  • Author
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Quin

The earth started to shake, and huge cracks split into it. Klein was the first to fall through, and everyone stared at the place he’d been in horror.

Now what’s it doing?

Then his strong, sarcastic voice floated up to them. “I’m alright.”they could barely hear it through the rending noise of as the rock floor and the very walls of the cave began to crumble.

Someone shouted to jump down where Klein was. Quin started forward. His side hurt from the fall he’d taken after that man had sent him flying.

He winced as he hobbled forward on his crutches.

Qatar was coming from the other end of the cavern. They would meet at the mouth of hole. Quin slowed his pace. He didn’t want to meet his brother. He didn’t want him to offer his grudging help.

Qatar leaned over and spoke to Niarok, who seemed to be having trouble getting Yila to jump. Quin felt sorry for her. There were so many things in life, and especially in this castle–if this was life–that seemed too hard to be attempted, but must be done.

He remembered trying to walk for the first time after It happened. The pain, the memories, the unbalanced feeling, and over all the crushing sense of weakness. Hopeless, endless weakness.

He couldn’t tell if it was the floor or his own body that was shaking harder as he remembered.

Qatar jumped in the hole. Everyone else was down already. A boulder fell from the cieling next to Quin, almost knocking him off his feet with the vibrations. Niarok glanced behind him anxiously and spoke more urgently to his sister. She was making up her mind to jump, but by the way she was clutching his hand she was telling him to go with her.

The doctor looked back. One helpless look at Quin. Quin only nodded. Go with your sister. I’ll be fine.

They jumped, and Quin was left alone.

Or will I?

He hobbled up to the hole and peered in. Everything down there was blurry, from the constant shaking of the cave. he tried to gauge the distance he’d have to jump, but it was impossible to tell.

This is gonna hurt. He tried not to notice the bruise in his ribs, but he couldn’t help but imagine the way it would feel hitting the floor.

I’ve been through worse.

He sat down on the edge of the hole and dropped his crutches through. He gripped the lip of the hole and braced himself.

One, two…

He hated the anticipation.

Three. Now!

He slid into the hole and spun around, dangling by his arms,

How far is it, anyway?

He closed his eyes and let go.

The impact was only slightly better than he had imagined it.

The sick jar on his one good leg that he could feel all the way up his spine, and then pitching forward onto the hard stone floor face-first with most of the force of his fall.

He lay there a moment, breathing. ‘Just breathe there, kid. Like this. One in, one out.  one in, one out.’ he could hear the doctor’s voice guiding him through the pain of those first days. This isn’t as bad as that. Not nearly.

He sat up. At least no one had seen him fall. He glanced around. Or had they?

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Qatar

The noise was almost unbearable. And the shaking was enough to make even Yila, catlike on her feet, take an extra step and grab Niarok’s arm.

Evie was already running toward the hole. the whole room had cleared faster than he had thought possible. Locran and Liorah had stopped their arguing; Liorah had run lightly to the hole and dropped in, Locran had just…vanished. I think he calls it teleporting.

Qatar shrugged and started after Evie. If Klein had fallen on his head that must mean the hole was pretty deep, and maybe she needed a hand. Niarok and Yila were standing by the edge, the doctor trying to convince his patient that she had to jump, Yila hanging back, her face twisted into knots to keep from crying.

Get over it, kid.

Suddenly he stopped and looked again. She was clinging to her brother’s arm with one hand, staring with a terror he had only seen in Quin’s weak face at the mouth of the hole. The other hand was fingering one of her knives. How many lives had that one knife taken without a second thought. He knew what the steel in her eyes would look like as she sent a deadly blow home. The same steel they had as they looked on the most mundane things of life.

And yet here she was, staring with childish fear at a little jump down a hole.

He clenched his fists. Whoever it was that had trained her, and other’s–what had they called it, Shadows?–like her! His jaw set. Couldn’t they see what they were doing to her mind and soul? They had done this.

Beside him a crack opened in the cave floor, and he jumped away, shaking himself. Now was not the time to stand still, contemplating a woman’s fear.

He sprinted after Evie, but she was already swinging herself into the hole. Qatar smirked. That’s the way.

He came up next to Niarok and touched the doctor’s arm.

“Would it help if I went first and caught her?”

Niarok shook his head. “Thanks anyway.”

Qatar glanced at Quin. He was hanging back, hobbling forward on his two makeshift crutches.

His eyes were smaller reflections of Yila’s. Scared. Qatar felt sick. Always scared. He turned and jumped into the hole.

Down there, everyone was gathered around a newcomer. Where are they coming from?

He was looking around, a big grin on his face as though nothing were wrong with the world.

Yila and Niarok thumped down beside Qatar. Then came Quin.

The newcomer was loud. Qatar winced. Very loud. Something about this new cave didn’t feel right. Something was in here, and yelling wasn’t going to make it happy.

Klein clamped his hand over the man’s mouth, and Niarok strode up and introduced himself.

The man grinned, as though it was an honor to be almost tackled by a giant in armor. He looked past Niarok and his smile widened.

Qatar followed his glance. He was smiling at Yila. She was scowling.

typical.

Qatar smirked. She probably thinks smiling is a death-threat. Suddenly his smile vanished. The man’s gaze had shifted.

He was looking Evie up and down, grinning so widely that it looked like he’d crack his head in half. And there was that droopy wet look about his eyes.

Qatar crossed his arm. I hope that smile of yours busts your head open!

Evie stepped forward to introduce herself. Qatar stepped up behind her.

@irishcelticredflowercrown
    @denali-christianson

leave or change whatever! If Daire keeps making eyes at Evie things are NOT going to turn out well. Oh, Qatar! I hope you never become jealous of your future wife; it will not be pretty!

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

That’s cool, I get when that happens! 🙂

Yay!

Good yikes y’all have the worst weather!!

I KNOWWWW! Somebody said they haven’t seen drifts this big for 20 years. 😀

THAT’S AWESOME I’M SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! Well done!!!

Thank you! I’m so happy about it. <3 🙂

Oohh, that’s so cool! I love that idea! I’d love to have you drop them in eventually! I’ve actually been working on a new story idea… or well, two XD I think I might drop some characters in from them! One is a contemporary/dark academia murder mystery and the other is a 16th-17th century pirate novel XD I think I might drop in from the mystery, just because I have two interesting characters for there. I think I want to finish this challenge with Liorah and Aydin, I pretty much have them figured out anyway, and then I might add in Athena and Ophelia! (Temporary names, they named themselves XD) LOL, I kinda want to see them interact though… Athena and Liorah will hate each other and Athena is going to scare the life out of Aydin. I think Liorah won’t like Ophelia either, and Liorah will scare her. Ophelia and Aydin might like each other a bit though XD

Chaotic XD Too many ideas not enough time XD

Ooh, but I like Athena and Ophelia! They sound so elegant!

Are they from the pirate novel?

I’m having a hard time choosing who I should send in. I haven’t done nearly enough character-building to send anyone yet. The MCs are Alaric (sleeping Beauty–yes, it’s a prince; I’m doing role-reversals) and Isella. She’s cool b/c she has powers, but Alaric would be so noble and out of it he would be hilarious in here.

But then there’s Irrelis, a Seer (I don’t honestly like him much, but the dynamic would be cool because he’s older)

and Tullian, an Empath. He would be so cool! But he might fall apart with all the drama in these characters’ lives. He might fall physically ill or go crazy or something because of everything Aydin feels…and Quin. Yikes.

And Voltemand who’s a wet blanket but a lovable one. I bet he and Acyn would have gotten along fine!

Sorry, I kinda dumped on you; that was long and boring.

Well…lots of ideas is good, but no time to implement them is frustrating.

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

Daire’s reaction to Lorcan was hilarious! (not to say that I would act much differently if I met one of my heroes)

KHALON

The cliff finally crashed down sending dust and rocks flying everywhere. I coughed as I guarded my head. I wiped at my eyes.

Everyone was down here now. There was a newcomer, Daire. He apparently was not fazed by his situation. Far from it, he was flirting with Evie and Yila.

I smiled slightly. He either clearly liked taking risks or had a death wish.

I turned towards the arch. Lying on a pile of gold was a huge beast. It seemed like a giant viper, but it also had wings and arms. It seemed that the Castle wanted us to go past the beast or dragon as Niarok called it.

The dragon appeared to be sleeping deeply, but there had to be a catch. There always was. I scanned the inside of the room. There near the dragon was a person chained to the wall. Near me Aydin tensed. He clearly knew who the person was.

“Okay, new plan, we go the other way around,” she hissed.

“But she could be hurt,” Aydin protested.

“Who’s that,” the Kind Man asked.

“That’s his ex-girlfriend,” she announced.

Aydin flinched slightly. Clearly, her presence brought back old wound.

I glanced back at the person. Her head turned toward me. The person was not a woman but a man. A man with dark hair and faded brown eyes. Eyes that saw everything. Conroy. I took a step backwards. What was he doing here?! It wasn’t possible yet there he was.

He leaned back against the wall and assumed a patient expression. He was waiting for me to rescue him. I clenched my fists. How many times had he kept me from acting? How many times had he made others turn against me? It was only a matter of time before he revealed me. And now here he was, a dragon’s prisoner. I was safe from him. Daelre would be pleased.

Mother won’t be pleased and neither would Father be for that matter, my conscience piped up.

“Be quiet,” I growled. I would never risk my life for that boy.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Inkhorn.
    Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Does anyone else here take compliments given to their characters really personally? Like seriously, when y’all compliment Niarok I do little happy dances. XD

I’m going to write a post from… *counts on fingers* ALL THREE POVS sorry about the spamming…

DAIRE’S REACTION WAS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love him. So. Much. XD

@emily-waldorf

He clenched his fists. Whoever it was that had trained her, and other’s–what had they called it, Shadows?–like her! His jaw set. Couldn’t they see what they were doing to her mind and soul? They had done this.

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 YOU GONNA MAKE ME CRYYYYY literally no one sees past Yila’s steel AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Okayyyyy excuse me while I go cook up some drammaaaa…

"The darkness is seldom complete, and even when it is, the pinprick of light is not long in coming."

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Niarok

Daire was drooling over the women. Niarok had a feeling they could both take care of themselves, but he would keep an eye on them, just in case Yila decided that Daire’s advances were too much.

Liorah and Aydin appeared beside him, staring into the depths of the cavern. Staring at the dragon.

Was that a figure down there? Beside the dragon? It – he – looked familiar. Niarok tensed.

“What in the eternal blue heavens is that?” Liorah hissed beside him.

“Dragon,” he answered.

It couldn’t be. Was it?

Dark feelings swirled in his heart. Feelings he hadn’t had in many years. Feelings of anger.

“I think we’re supposed not to wake that,” Aydin whispered.

Niarok nodded. Yeah.

“You’re really brilliant today, have I told you that yet?” Liorah snapped.

“Thanks for the compliment.”

“Don’t get used to it.”

The figure moved. Niarok’s shoulders tensed again. Yes. It was most definitely him. His hand moved to his sword hilt.

“There,” Liorah hissed, jerking her head at the figure.

Aydin followed her motion and tensed too. Something like terror and anger and insecurity swam behind his muddy eyes.

What? How does he know?…

A disconcerting thought entered Niarok’s mind, but at this point he wasn’t surprised. The castle was toying with them.

Liorah swore, backing away and raking her fingers through her hair.

“Okay, new plan,” she said, her cheerful voice a thin covering for the intensity underneath. Niarok couldn’t relate more. “We go the exact opposite direction and do not turn around.”

“Liorah, she’s trapped. The… creature might attack her,” Aydin murmured, voice strained.

Her?

Yes, the Castle was definitely toying with them. Niarok’s heart twinged with fear. What would happen when Yila saw?

Liorah grinned at Aydin. “You really are brilliant today,” she hissed.

“Liorah, no,” Aydin replied.

Niarok looked at the figure. Definitely not a her. But for Aydin’s side… “Who is that?” he asked.

Aydin sighed like the entire weight of the world had just dropped onto his shoulders. Niarok glanced away, then made eye contact again.

“Someone I never hoped to see again,” Aydin finally mumbled. He glanced away, eyes deeply haunted. Niarok recognized that look.

“That was his girlfriend, you know, that one,” Liorah said, her voice far too cheerful for the clear misery Aydin was experiencing.

Aydin flinched, his eyes flashing. How much had Liorah said?

Niarok looked at him and shook his head subtly. He didn’t know. Liorah hadn’t said anything beyond a few cryptic words. “How can I help?” he asked after a moment.

"The darkness is seldom complete, and even when it is, the pinprick of light is not long in coming."

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Evie

Evie glanced down into the hole and felt a thrill. She loved heights, perhaps a little too much.

She glanced over her shoulder and noticed Qatar staring at her.

Did he… like her?

Um…

She shook herself. Now was not the time. The ground may or may not have been breaking up into a thousand deadly pieces at the moment and she was thinking about romance?

No.

She wasn’t doing this.

She leapt off the edge of the hole, fell the distance, and rolled at the bottom, coming to an easy landing on her feet.

She glanced back up. Qatar had followed, and Yila and Niarok were having… some sort of altercation.

Yila was scared.

Terrified.

Evie recognized the pain in her eyes. She’d experienced that level of panic far too many times.

A flashback suddenly slammed into her for no particular reason. Not now.

The road was dusty. She ran as hard as she could, but the sun came up anyway. “what are you doing out here, my good for nothing slave?” Alcora screamed. Pain. Intense pain. A whip. Evie’s heart pounded in her chest. Hard. Pain. She could feel the blood pouring down her back.

Someone yelled.

Evie slammed back into the present, panting hard. Sweating. Terror raged in her chest.

She leaned against the wall and looked around. Niarok and Yila had made it down, and there was a new guy.

She shook herself. She wanted to crawl into a hole and cry, but she couldn’t. Not here. Not ever. No one was allowed to see her that weak. No one.

She’d been taken advantage of too many times through weakness.

No more.

She squared her shoulders and stepped forward, standing near Yila, who had also reclaimed her steel.

Evie felt she and Yila could be friends if they could both get past the part where they wanted to kill each other.

Yila glanced at her coldly. Evie returned the gaze but didn’t allow active hostility into her eyes. Yila sighed and looked away.

Okay, so maybe not anytime soon.

There was the new guy. He had longish ginger hair and some piercing blue eyes and… wow. He was legitimately drooling over her and Yila.

Evie stared up at the ceiling. She wasn’t even pretty. Why did they all want to talk to her?

Her name. He’d asked for her name.

“Evelyn,” she said when Yila didn’t respond. She took a step forward. It must have been a bit more stalking than she’d intended because the man’s eyes got wide and he stepped back slightly.

Well, that’s fine by me.

She felt her neck prickle.

Qatar was watching her.

Uh-oh.

@emily-waldorf

Up to you if you want to initiate an interaction! 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

NOOOO MY CINNAMON ROLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON’T TAKE THEM FROM MEEEE!!!!!!!!! You should totally throw Aydin back in at his current development stage…

I’M SORRY!!!!! They’re already developed though, I’m not really learning anything new about them…

Well, that’s already happening accidentally XD

LOL Daire’s reaction was hysterical, especially if you take into consideration how literally every single other character has treated him so far. (I’m thinking of Liorah and Acyn XD)

@emily-waldorf

Ooh, but I like Athena and Ophelia! They sound so elegant!

Are they from the pirate novel?

Thank you! It definitely fits the mood of the story XD

Nope, they’re from the mystery! The only character I really have from the pirate novel is my MC, Mejt. Ophelia and Athena are just easier since they already have an established dynamic.

and Tullian, an Empath. He would be so cool! But he might fall apart with all the drama in these characters’ lives. He might fall physically ill or go crazy or something because of everything Aydin feels…and Quin. Yikes.

Aydin’s only role in the story is to deal physic damage to every empathetic person within a mile range XD

Sorry, I kinda dumped on you; that was long and boring.

NOOOO!!! I loved it!!! Keep infodumping, I enjoy reading it 😀

I think Alaric or Isella would be awesome, though I love the idea of Tullian, that has a lot of potential XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

I’M SORRY!!!!! They’re already developed though, I’m not really learning anything new about them…

Well, that’s already happening accidentally XD

LOLLLL facts thoughhhhh which is why I’m probably going to have to pull Evie at some point here lol. I have her in at such a weird development stage and it’s not helpful at all…

Aydin’s only role in the story is to deal physic damage to every empathetic person within a mile range XD

*Glances pointedly at Niarok* You were saying? XD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

I was thinking, it might be fun if we just have all the villains in there instead of a shapeshifter! Then after they’re freed we can have a bit of interaction, just for the chaos of it all XD

Liorah

Aydin was obviously in three different stages of internal turmoil and there was nothing I could do to fix that. Or well, there was something.

“How can I help?” Niarok asked, quietly.

“Nothing you can do about it but I might have a solution,” I said, grimly.

I stepped up on the rubble, so I could just see over. Chantara was on the other end of the room, squirming and trying to reach her chains. She caught my gaze and glared at me, her aquamarine eyes sparking.

I made a hand gesture that could not be misinterpreted. Aydin gave a hiss of disapproval but I didn’t care how rude it was.

There were at least two more men next to her but I didn’t care about them.

I untied the leather strap beneath my belt and slipped my finger through the loop, then reached for a lead bullet. I just had to climb a little higher and then I had a clear shot. I could kill her within seconds, and then this problem would no longer be a problem.

Aydin literally picked me up and lifted me off the barricade.

“Put me down,” I hissed, readying myself to give him a solid kick for his interference.

He dropped me, promptly. He didn’t even pretend to be careful but just let me fall.

I caught myself in my fall and glared at him, but he glared straight back.

“What’s wrong with you?” we both said, at the same time.

“We just decided we can’t let that thing kill her so you try to do it yourself?” Aydin said, incredulously.

“It’s more efficient,” I hissed. “Why do you want to save her? She doesn’t deserve it!”

“Who are you to decide what she deserves?” Aydin retorted.

“Did you forget what she did?” I held out my hands, half in entreaty, half to remind him of the scars over my palms and wrists.

Aydin gestured with his right hand, as though to remind me in his turn.

“I won’t ever be able to forget,” he said, quietly. “That doesn’t change that it’s right.”

I humphed.

“Alright, then she’s your problem. If you want to save her, go ahead.”

Aydin’s expression shifted to anger.

“Stop leveraging the fact that I need you,” he hissed, quiet enough that nobody could hear.

Oh. He couldn’t save her, even if he wanted to. I bit my lip.

“I didn’t mean it that way,” I said, under my breath.

Aydin shrugged, indifferently, but I could tell I’d hurt him.

The new person was looking at Evie and Yila with sheeps-eyes. I kept an eye on them. If his attentions became unwanted and they needed to get out of the situation I would cover for them. I barely knew them but that didn’t matter. I would have done it for a stranger.

Oh gosh, Liorah is uncontrollable XD When presented with the choice of “letting an enemy die or helping them” she chooses “kill them yourself because it’s more efficient.”

I have no idea whether she would have actually followed through. On one hand, Liorah wouldn’t kill someone unarmed, but she really hates Chantara. (With good reason ngl)

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

“Why do you want to save her? She doesn’t deserve it!” “Who are you to decide what she deserves?” Aydin retorted. “Did you forget what she did?” I held out my hands, half in entreaty, half to remind him of the scars over my palms and wrists. Aydin gestured with his right hand, as though to remind me in his turn. “I won’t ever be able to forget,” he said, quietly. “That doesn’t change that it’s right.”

Gotta say I love this!

Also, I just saw your (?) idea of making the captive someone that the characters hate/are afraid of. I think that could be really cool! (Already is, obviously). I might have to jump to Quin/Qatar at the end of the book, so we’ll see how this goes. 🙂 It shouldn’t be too much of a jump, but if any of you notice character development, please tell me–it would encourage me so much!

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

I was thinking, it might be fun if we just have all the villains in there instead of a shapeshifter! Then after they’re freed we can have a bit of interaction, just for the chaos of it all XD

OOOHHH BETTER PLAN! XD Thankkk you for being a voice of… reason? in this madness? XD AND ALSO THANK YOU THIS MAKES MY LIFE SO MUCH EASIER TO ENACT MY… *AHEM* EVIL PLAN *laughs maniacally*

Oh gosh, Liorah is uncontrollable XD When presented with the choice of “letting an enemy die or helping them” she chooses “kill them yourself because it’s more efficient.”

I’m genuinely shocked by how Liorah is just a like… immature 5-year-old differently traumatized carbon copy of Evie… XD

Also I’ll write Niarok tomorrow but I need to sleep so we’re going to have Yila trauma. Lots and lots of Yila trauma…

ALLLLSOOOO just a… slight warning. Um. Yila may or may not go wake up the dragon. So. um. Sorry for any excessive blood loss that occurs as a result of this…

Yila

Her entire body was shaking. Trembling. She could still see that image in her mind.

There was a time that she actually like heights. Once. Long ago.

But then it happened.

She shook her head and watched Niarok as he stared down at the dragon.

How she wanted out of this. Out of all of this.

If Niarok didn’t exist she would have committed suicide countless ages ago.

The numbing guilt gnawed at her mind, threatened to pull her under to fraternize with the panic and fear and deep pain that no one could cure.

But on the outside she just glared at the most recent addition to their party: Daire.

He was an obnoxious, loud, extremely unsympathetic version of Lorcan. Who he was… currently worshiping at the moment.

This is far too weird.

Yila huffed, sent Lorcan a sympathetic wince, and stepped away from Lorcan and Evie.

Evie. The girl who she’d clearly underestimated.

The girl who was now giving her a faint smile. A faint softening that hinted at peace, at perhaps a friendship.

But Yila couldn’t afford friends. She didn’t let the steel down.

Evie looked away.

Yila’s heart ripped in two and she sunk further beneath the surface of her pain.

She shook herself free of the cobwebby bonds holding her and stepped forward to the cliff. Liorah and Aydin were having an altercation as usual, and Niarok was looking…

Scared. Nervous. Cornered.

It was a sober reminder that one, her brother was human; and two, something very very very bad was in the making.

“What is it?” she murmured.

Niarok looked at her, his deep blue eyes calm beneath the surface of panic.

As usual.

It was so backwards, and if he hadn’t looked so serious, it would have annoyed her.

Why was it that everyone in the world could have relatable feelings that they hid beneath a surface of calm and then there was just… Niarok?

Yila looked on expectantly. “What?”

Niarok sighed. “Do you trust me?” he whispered.

“Yes, of course,” she said.

Faster than she could respond, he caught her wrist in an iron grip.

“Oh no,” she shut her eyes, trying to quell the rage. “It isn’t.”

Niarok nodded and tilted his head toward where the massive dragon slept.

Yila looked.

Her heart tore and she was eternally grateful that she’d let Niarok detain her. Right before she slipped beneath the surface.

There. There on the ground, sitting next to five or six other people, was one of the three people she’d vowed she would kill the moment she was given the chance.

She’d already killed the first.

Here was her chance for the second.

His hair was bright red. Wild. Like it wanted to escape from his head and blaze away.

He hunched in a position that spoke of unbelievable power.

Power he had used countless times to beat her and hurt her and almost kill her.

Power he’d used to drive a spear into her heart and force her vow to the Shadows.

He was the one.

The one who’d made her what she was.

He had ruined her.

Her vision narrowed to a single point around his eyes. The eyes that opened and stared back at her.

They were bright green.

The color of her father’s eyes.

Panic and rage and hot, relentless fury exploded in her chest and she fought against the restraints that held her back.

She screamed, she writhed. She cried. She sobbed.

She could see the blood pouring from a thousand cuts across her arms, across her face and her back.

She could feel the wrath, the fury of his gaze. Green fire.

That’s what they’d called him.

Emerald Fury.

There was a reason. Yila’s scars screamed, they howled, they raged for justice. Burning, writhing pain seared down her back, across her arms, all across her body.

She could hear her screams but they seemed to come from another person.

She heard a word that sounded familiar from a voice that sounded even more familiar.

But she could not concentrate.

She yelled.

She cried.

And then her vision was torn away and instead of looking into green eyes she stared into blue ones. Familiar blue ones.

“Niarok,” she whispered.

Her brother pulled her into an embrace and hid her face so she couldn’t see Emersen.

“It’s him,” she hissed.

“I know,” Niarok replied.

“I can’t do this.”

“I know.”

Yila’s head swirled with panic and rage.

“I’m going to kill him.”

Niarok pulled away and stared straight into her eyes.

“That will wake the dragon.”

“So?”

“So we’ll all die.”

Yila’s heart pounded. She needed revenge. She needed it like she desperately needed air. Right now.

Cursed asthma. She couldn’t breathe.

She stared at her brother helplessly, and he handed her a tiny pinch of herbs which she swallowed greedily.

Slowly her chest loosened and she could breathe again. Mostly.

The rage was a tighter cord than her malady would ever be.

“I have to kill him, Niarok. I have to.”

Niarok bowed his head under the weight of the responsibility he’d shouldered for himself. “I can’t let you,” he whispered.

Yila looked at the ceiling, fresh tears falling. Helpless. Alone and helpless. That’s how she felt.

Niarok stared at her, his eyes pleading, pleading, begging her not to do it.

She sighed. And she nodded.

And then some power she’d never felt before, something like anger taken a life of it’s own, grasped her arm.

Suddenly she had her knife in hand.

It had flown before she could stop it.

“NO!” someone screamed.

Emersen yelled in pain.

Then the dragon moved.

Yila fell beneath the surface of another flashback. The last thing she remembered was Niarok nocking an arrow and staring at her with heartbroken eyes.

I… I don’t even know what just happened.

I’m really sorry for that, y’all… Um…

Yila is turning into a monster and it’s like… absolutely horrifying…

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

Gotta say I love this!

*Squeals excitedly* ME TOO!!! That’s the entire centerpoint of his character and I love it so much 🤩

Also, I just saw your (?) idea of making the captive someone that the characters hate/are afraid of. I think that could be really cool! (Already is, obviously). I might have to jump to Quin/Qatar at the end of the book, so we’ll see how this goes.   It shouldn’t be too much of a jump, but if any of you notice character development, please tell me–it would encourage me so much!

Nope that was @inkhorn ‘s brilliant idea! It’ll be awesome!!

Oohh, I look forward to seeing what you’re gonna do!

@denali-christianson

OOOHHH BETTER PLAN! XD Thankkk you for being a voice of… reason? in this madness? XD AND ALSO THANK YOU THIS MAKES MY LIFE SO MUCH EASIER TO ENACT MY… *AHEM* EVIL PLAN *laughs maniacally*

HA, ME A VOICE OF REASON??? I have never been and I will not start now 😀

I’m genuinely shocked by how Liorah is just a like… immature 5-year-old differently traumatized carbon copy of Evie… XD

Liorah is just…. ugh she’s herself and inflicts it on everyone else XD

I love how everyone universally decided Liorah is extremely immature. I never actually thought of that. She’s ridiculously petty, wears her heart on her sleeve and has no self-control, I think that’s what leads to that conclusion XD

I… I don’t even know what just happened.

I’m really sorry for that, y’all… Um…

Yila is turning into a monster and it’s like… absolutely horrifying…

Gooooddd grieeffff that was chaos!!! Poor Yila I just want to hug her😭😭 It was awesome to read though!!

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@everyone

So have we decided whether the captive is a shapeshifter or if all the bad guys are actually there? And if the bad guys are there, can the all the characters see them or do only the characters that know the bad guy see him/her?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@inkhorn

I think for purposes of chaos it would be best if all the villains are there and all the characters can see them!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,906 through 1,920 (of 2,830 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest