fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,921 through 1,935 (of 2,520 total)
  • Author
    Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@rose-colored-fancy

Got it. And, man, it’s going to get crazy in there! My evil writer’s heart is dancing for joy. XD

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

Whoaaa … I’m sorry I ditched you all! 😨 Life and studies got in the way.

May I please have a summary of what happened?

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mamaauthoress

Don’t worry about it! Happens to all of us XD

Okay, there was quite a long quiet period, then @rusted-knight came up with the current idea.

Klein fell into a crack and then the whole floor crumbled and all the characters ended up in a lower room. It’s like a big hall, and at the end there’s a big room with a dragon.

The catch is that the dragon is guarding some captives. And those captives are our characters greatest nemesis.

It’s causing considerable drama, it’s great XD

Aydin is having an exestential crisis, Liorah attempted murder, Yila might have commited murder, and Niarok is being a concerned dad to the whole group XD

Also @irishcelticredflowercrown dropped in a new character, Daire! He’s the first person who recognized Lorcan and is currently delighted about it.

In real world news! Emily and I started planning new projects, Neasa moved to England to study, and we compared notes on the big storm(Eunice).

I think that’s pretty much it! It’s awesome that you’re back!

@mamaauthoress

Don’t worry about it! Happens to all of us XD

Okay, there was quite a long quiet period, then @rusted-knight came up with the current idea.

Klein fell into a crack and then the whole floor crumbled and all the characters ended up in a lower room. It’s like a big hall, and at the end there’s a big room with a dragon.

The catch is that the dragon is guarding some captives. And those captives are our characters greatest nemesis and they have to somehow rescue them without getting devoured by the dragon, or just decide to leave them to die.

It’s causing considerable drama, it’s great XD

Aydin is having an exestential crisis, Liorah attempted murder, Yila might have commited murder, and Niarok is being a concerned dad XD

Also @irishcelticredflowercrown dropped in a new character, Daire! He’s the first person who recognized Lorcan and is currently delighted about it.

In real world news! Emily and I started planning new projects, Neasa moved to England to study, and we compared notes on the big storms (Eunice) (We both got off pretty well 😀 )

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@rose-colored-fancy

Ohhh okay, thank you so much!

Ooooo … I gots a pretty good villain to throw in. *evil grin*

@IrishCelticRedFlowerCrown
    that is so cool you moved to England!

RIGHT! Here we go! *marches forth*

RÚAN

The floor cracked. I suddenly was falling.

SMASH.

Explosions of pain ripped all throughout my body.

… ouch …

With a pained grunt, I pushed myself to my knees, rocks falling off my back. With a shake of my hair, a plume of grey dust ballooned forth.

I froze, however, at the … giant dragon … curled up a little ways away.

A dragon, I thought dimly, I should haven expected that.

But behind the sleeping dragon was a small group of hostages.

My mouth dried up.

No.

No, it can’t be him.

But there was no mistaking the naturally white hair — rather mussed and dirty instead of neatly slicked back — and the piercing ice-blue eyes that brought out the angles of his jaw.

Osløn Hvítur.

The world turned red with rage and hatred.

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

I’m posting later!!! The dragon is awake, Yila is basically dying… um… yep. That’s about it. XD

"Where there's life, there's hope; and need of vittles."
    -Samwise Gamgee

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@everyone

Okay, before I start a few things that you need to know: in order for my characters to have an arch nemesis I have to transport them to a different stage in the story, so there’s going to be (hopefully) some major changes. The biggest of these is that Quin has a peg-leg. He’s also dressed in more “foreign” clothes, but I don’t know what yet. He still looks the same, except that his thinness is a wiry-ness, born of a lot of physical work, and he carries himself taller.

Quin/Qatar

Quin got up and dusted himself off. His wooden leg made a grating sound on the floor and he winced. It could wake the dragon.

He couldn’t see the beast yet, but the word was on everyone’s tongue.

Qatar was becoming protective of Evie, who was being ogled by a newcomer. Quin smirked. Oh, brother mine!

He stretched his shoulders carefully, trying not to make anything hurt worse. then he started out of the shadows toward where most of the group was concentrated: Niarok, Yila, Aydin and Liorah, Ruan, Klein.

While he watched Aydin jerked Liorah off a pile of rubble. She tried to kick him, and it seemed to annoy her that she couldn’t.

He couldn’t read Klein behind the armor he wore.

Ruan was just standing there; like a statue, staring at something beyond where the great beast must be lying.

Niarok was gripping Yila’s wrist like his life depended on it. Or someone else’s. No sooner had he thought it than Yila’s hand jerked out and sent a knife whizzing through the air. In the corner where they all stared someone shouted in pain.

Quin looked that direction. For the first time, he saw the dragon. Huge. Covered in scales as heavy and close-knit as chain mail. Each of it’s sword-length claws was razor sharp as they lay, gleaming in the little light that seemed to glow from it’s pile of hoarded treasure. In the dim light he couldn’t tell which direction it was lying. Which end is it’s head and which it’s tail?

Then he knew: one of the great eyelids began to roll back, revealing an eye like a ball of fire. light must have come from it, because as it opened the room became brighter, as if the eyelid of the morning had opened. But what a dawn! Suspicion. Wild, un-tameable hatred and suspicion beamed from those burning eyes.

But Quin hardly noticed the beast. his eyes were focused beyond it, staring at the group of captives. The one Yila’s knife had hit was crouched in a ball, whether alive or dead he couldn’t tell. The other’s were staring desperately at the great beast which had wakened. Except one.

He’d know the face anywhere. The shaggy, muddy-blond hair; the proud face; the mouth that sagged at the corners either in scorn or hopelessness; the long, nose with the hump in it.

Fedor.

Those eyes, the color of rotten wood, looked back at him. They recognized him, too. Hobble-Horse. Quin could hear his nasal voice. Even with the heavy chain around his neck and wrists, his eyes sent chills down Quin’s spine.

Soft laughter startled him, and he looked around. Qatar had appeared beside him. “So! The positions are reversed.” His brother’s smile wasn’t altogether nice.”I wonder how he likes it?”

For a moment Quin fought. His back wasn’t healed yet; he could feel the itching and burning of the scars. Natalya. His eyes set, hard and angry. If he could have seen himself, he would have looked almost exactly like Qatar, standing side by side, staring at Fedor together.

The baby. Anika!

Quin clenched his fist. The words he’d told Anika echoed in his mind. “I know that one day, everything I do will be called to account. On that day, I want those who hated me most to have the least to say against me.”

“We have to try, Qatar.”

Qatar looked down at him, almost surprised. “Of course we do. What did you think I was going to do?”

Quin flushed. Even Qatar hadn’t doubted what to do. But his brother smiled. “I couldn’t let the dragon get him no matter how much I want to. I have something I have to settle with him first.” He laid his hand on Quin’s shoulder. Gently, so that Quin didn’t even wince, but his brother’s big fingers traced the scars, and his smile hardened into a grim line.

~~

I’ll leave it up to you whether your character wants to react to Quin’s altered appearance or not. 🙂

Don't cry for me, for I go where music is born ~J.S. Bach

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

Qatar was becoming protective of Evie, who was being ogled by a newcomer. Quin smirked. Oh, brother mine!

His eyes set, hard and angry. If he could have seen himself, he would have looked almost exactly like Qatar, standing side by side, staring at Fedor together.

“I know that one day, everything I do will be called to account. On that day, I want those who hated me most to have the least to say against me.”

“We have to try, Qatar.”

Awwww!!! I’m so proud of Quin!!! I can see so much character development!!! He’s so much stronger and more confident!! It makes me so ridiculously happy, like YES go Quin!!!!

I have no idea what he’s been through but it does not sound fun 😭😭

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

Awwww!!! I’m so proud of Quin!!! I can see so much character development!!! He’s so much stronger and more confident!! It makes me so ridiculously happy, like YES go Quin!!!! I have no idea what he’s been through but it does not sound fun 😭

Yayyyy! I’m so happy you can see growth. I haven’t gotten to this part in the story yet, so I’m glad I could write it. I’m hoping this will make me more excited about my WIP, b/c currently it’s looking pretty lackluster.

Yeah…the poor kid. (don’t tell him I said that. He hates it when people call him “kid”). It’s not good. I’m not looking forward to writing it. :'(  But I’m glad you didn’t guess ’cause I didn’t want to spill the tea, ya know?

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

Lorcan

Lorcan’s day could not have gotten any worse. Truly.

It was bad enough that they had to jump into a chasm (again!!) and be faced with yet another monster (a flipping dragon of course because, you know, WHY NOT?!). But he certainly did not need – whatever this was.

There was a human before him – from his own world surprisingly – who decided that now was a brilliant time to proclaim his everlasting admiration and servitude towards Lorcan.

In more modern terms, he was basically a fan boy.

Lorcan’s mouth twisted as he spat, “Who in the blazing wastelands of Connacht are you?”

The boy blinked up at him, his mouth turning into an o shape. “He asked for my name,” he murmured. “Dear goodness – he wishes to know my name. What an honour!”

Lorcan wanted nothing more than to slam this idiot into the ground and pummel him – but well – Yila was watching him sympathetically. And – he didn’t excatly want to lose his cool in front of her. And not for this blasted eejit either.

Instead he pinned him with a murderous stare. “Answer my question.”

“Of course. Yes! I am Daire of the wonderful Kingdom of Mide my lord, son of-”

“Ah. So you are from my realm,” Lorcan said in a dull tone. “Aren’t I just so lucky.”

Daire’s eyes filled – actually filled – with tears of joy. “My lord – how you honour me with such kindess! I must confess I do not deserve such sentiments.”

“I agree,” Lorcan answered shortly and stepped away from him. He was already getting a headache from this blubbering idiot. He focused his attention on the dragon. He noticed that there were a group of bedraggled captives situated behind it.

Lorcan noticed how all his companions froze at the sight of them. As if they recognized these new people. Yila was being held by her brother. All the colour had drained from her face.

He stared at the captives, his gaze landing one such individual. He was crouched onto his knees, his bald head covered with patches of matted grey hair. His blood ran cold, though he wasn’t sure why.

He got his answer when the man looked up. Although – it wasn’t actually a man. His body was too big, his limbs too long, his head too bulky. His face –

Lorcan paled, his feet rooted to the spot as the deformed giant fixed him with his sightless gaze. His exposed eye was hauntingly milky white. And his other – was covered by a thick golden eye patch that covered half his face.

No. No this wasn’t real. This couldn’t be – he wasn’t seeing this. It was a dream. It had to be!

“Birugderc,” he said under his breath. “No. This can’t be true. You’re-”

This figure from his nightmares – he was supposed to be dead. Not – here. Lorcan’s fists trembled as his blades began to slid from his sleeves.

“Goodness! Are they all baddies? They certainly look like them!”

Lorcan was too shocked to glare at him. Out of the corner of his eye, Daire searched among the group curiously. “Where’s my enemy I wonder? I mean – not that I have any enemies – well maybe those dwarves but – I don’t think they wish me dead or anything, they just don’t like me-”

“Shut up,” Lorcan snapped, panic levels rising. Sweat was beading on his skin like nothing else he had ever helped before. He just couldn’t look away from – from that.

“Hm. This is very interesting,” Daire scratched his head through his ginger hair. “Am I my own enemy perhaps?”

“I think you most certainly are!” Lorcan barked. He desperately hoped Daire didn’t notice the terror flaring in his gaze.

As if things couldn’t get any worse – Yila in her terror threw a knife, aiming for one of the captives.

And the dragon sprang into action.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@irishcelticredflowercrown that was so rich! Poor Locran…Daire is gonna be too much for him. tehehe

Neasa

@emily-waldorf @denali-christianson

Hahaha thanks u guys!! I’m having a lot of fun over here, Daire is like me turned up to energy dial  500🤣🤣

Hey Denali, wouldn’t it be cute if Lorcan uh I don’t know, came to Yila’s rescue hehhe😁 Especially if she is literally dying…?

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

HAHA YES!!!!!!! Although I’m not sure where this is going to go, so… be prepared.

@emily-waldorf

YO I’M SO SO SO SOOOOO PROUD OF QUIN!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOODNESS HE’S GROWN SOOO MUCH AAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I’m going to pull something similar to Emily. I’m bringing Evie 2.0 in! We’re going to see how this goes. All I know is that if she saw her enemy where she is now she would probably just physically die. She’s not nearly strong enough in her current state soooo… Apologies. XD

Evie’s hair has grown and she’s wearing it in a braid. She’s visibly stronger and a bit taller and her eyes have a kind of mischievous sparkle to them.

Niarok

Do I trust her?

Niarok’s heart pounded as he released Yila. She’d said she was fine. She’d said she had calmed down.

Yila was many things, but dishonest with someone she trusted wasn’t one of them.

But in this case… Niarok felt something like panic still his blood. A sense, a discernment of something very very wrong left him on his guard.

Yila turned away from Emersen, her eyes red and her entire body visibly shaking.

She was spent, but she seemed under control.

Niarok relaxed, but then tensed again. More and more members of the group were gathering on the edge of the ravine where the dragon slept. They all had enemies, except for maybe Daire.

Evie appeared a few feet away from Niarok, and he glanced at her briefly. She seemed… different. Her hair had grown, she was wearing a form-fitting shirt and leggings, and she carried a sword on her back.

She shot him a brief glance, and though her mouth was set in a hard line, her eyes were calm. Sparkling. Peaceful. The shadow he’d always seen looming over her had disappeared.

What the?…

Quin had changed too. He had a peg-leg now.

Niarok didn’t have time to think about it. The sense of dread was growing.

Lorcan and Daire were having an argument. Then suddenly Yila tensed, spun, and released a knife with a strangled scream.

Her eyes were distant and pained as she collapsed to the ground. Niarok’s heart leapt into his throat and he stared.

No.

“NO!” he cried before he could stop himself.

The dragon stirred.

He snapped an arrow out of it’s quiver and strung it to his bow, watching as his sister crumpled to the ground.

It had happened.

That one thing he’d always feared.

A Shawdorgroff. Shadow Grief. A possession.

Of his sister.

Because of what others had forced her to do.

His heart broke and tears stung his eyes, but he turned and faced the dragon, which was now rising from it’s bed of treasure, its eyes darting between the captives and the warriors on the two edges of the ravine.

“WHO HAS WOKEN ME?” it roared. The walls shook.

Niarok’s grip tightened on his bow. He heard multiple swords unsheathing.

Evie’s was one of them.

The dragon leaned forward, sniffing. Heat wafted off its body. It saw Yila and its eyes widened.

“THIS IS THE ONE.”

Niarok’s body tensed with battle fervor.

He would defend his sister to the death.

The dragon leapt forward, breathing fire as it came. The warriors scattered.

Someone yelled.

But the dragon had one purpose. It wanted Yila.

And Niarok wasn’t going to let it have her.

It came on and he shot his arrow. It was his one Mist arrow. It could penetrate anything. Including a dragon’s hide.

But even an arrow to the dragon’s heart wasn’t enough to stop its enraged attack.

Niarok dropped his bow and drew his sword. The fight that ensued was like nothing he’d ever experienced. He was barely comprehensive of anything except the fire and sweat and heat and the moment that his sword penetrated the dragon’s armor.

The monster collapsed in a writhing mass.

But it wasn’t over.

A great flame leapt from the dragon on its dying gasp and enveloped Yila’s prone form.

“No!” Niarok screamed, his heart tearing in two.

He leapt for his sister, but he could already see she would not survive. The burns were too many.

He had failed in his one purpose.

Despair overcame him at the same moment his own wounds did. He collapsed beside Yila’s body, head swirling.

The only thing Niarok saw before he fell into unconsciousness was Evie’s shocked face and a second dragon appearing from some dark corner of the cavern.

I HATE EVERYTHING

YOU KNOW WHEN THE STORY JUST KIND OF GOES ITS OWN DIRECTION AND KILLS YOU IN THE PROCESS?

*collapses*

-Samwise Gamgee

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

YO I’M SO SO SO SOOOOO PROUD OF QUIN!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOODNESS HE’S GROWN SOOO MUCH AAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank youuuuu! But I’m still writing before that happens and he’s got to go through so much pain I don’t know if I can even do it!!! Agghgh.

I HATE EVERYTHING

Spoken like a true writer whose story has finally taken wing! …And killed you in the process.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@emily-waldorf

Thank youuuuu! But I’m still writing before that happens and he’s got to go through so much pain I don’t know if I can even do it!!! Agghgh.

I FEEL THIS I HAVE TO DO THE SAME THING TO EVIE AND I’M GOING TO DIE ALL OVER AGAIN

Spoken like a true writer whose story has finally taken wing! …And killed you in the process.

And this. THIS is why I am part of this group. YOU UNDERSTAND!!!!!! I am dead and would like white lilies at my funeral.

*crawls into large hole and sobs*

-Samwise Gamgee

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@emily-waldorf

I’M SO CONFUSED SE ATE YOUR POST BUT THEN STILL SENT ME AN EMAIL WHAT THE HECKKKKKK I’M SOOOOO CONFUSED

okay

Well I’ll respond!

Awowowowow. Let’s do it together. When are you starting?

OH YES! GOOD IDEA!!!! Well… um… part one has kind of been happening for the past year or so. BUT. Part two is going to start in like… April… when I get my life back under me lol

LOL that’s great. (I mean the lilies joke, not that you’re dying.)

I’d like roses at mine.

LOL I mean I’d rather die than kill another character sooo it’s fine… XD

COOL I’ll buy you some. XD

Wait, why are we telling each other what kinds of flowers we want at our funerals if we’ll both be dead?

HA good question. Very good logics thou has. Hmmm wellll… I mean I died first? So I guess you buy me the lilies, I buy you the roses kind of before I get buried or something, and then you die and we’re both dead together? Nevermind I’m not gonna try to figure it out… XD

-Samwise Gamgee

Viewing 15 posts - 1,921 through 1,935 (of 2,520 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest