fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,891 through 1,905 (of 2,830 total)
  • Author
    Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

@rose-colored-fancy

Wow, that sounds hectic! I can imagine it’s a big adjustment, but I’m glad you’re enjoying it! What are you studying?

Did you have any issues with the three big storms? I’m pretty sure they were over England as well. We certainly felt all of them, but praise God we barely have damages. It was definitely stressful though.

Haha it was a huge adjustment, but a good one too! I’m just gonna wait and see what God has in store for me. So I’m studying film 🙂 one is a research module where you get to pick your topic, and the others are animation and music in film. I’m really liking them so far!

Haha funny story – my friend and I tried to go see a movie but it got cancelled cause of the weather. So we just studied together instead (I know I know, I am such a prude lolll). But I was keeping an eye on the weather on my laptop cause I was terrified than any moment it would be a really bad storm and if we leave too late we would get injured or something. That didn’t happen of course thank God. But our conversation was going something like:

Me: It looks like the wind is going from 36 miles per hour to 27 miles per hour at 9pm!

Friend: Oh that’s good.

Me: Only for the storm to pick up again at 11pm.

LOL, that’s a mood XD I’ve been deliberately obscuring a lot of stuff with Aydin and Liorah.

Thats a wise decision to make, tbh I should stop revealing so much about my other characters cause someday a clever reader is gonna put two and two together and work it all out before I’ve even published the darn thing🤣 I’m planning a very big twist for my series, but it won’t be as exciting if I don’t stay quiet lolll

Yes, absolutely! Aydin has absolutely dozens of each! Just off the top of my head his misbeliefs include “I’m not wanted” “I don’t deserve happiness” “I’m a burden” “I need to be independant or others will hurt me” “I won’t amount to anything” and so on and so forth. (I can keep going, trust me. Don’t worry he’s getting help in-story, it’s working out.) But you’ll see that almost all of those boil down to one fundamental lie: “I am a terrible person and deserve every bad thing that happened to me and nothing else.” All the other lies often turn out to be different “flavors” of the same thing.

Yeah thats so true! I can’t wait to read more about Aydin and Liorah, I’m really loving them cause I just feel like I understand them. Mayra is quite similar to Aydin in terms of misbeliefs, she believes that there is no such thing as good people, her own survival is what matters most, she’s not responsible for anyone/anything else, she also believes she’s a bad person and incapable of good. In my opinion, even if a character does terrible things, as long as I understand their motives and why they think the way they do, I will literally praise their character arc till the day I die haha.

Another example, Liorah’s current lie (in book 3) is “I have to be successful by surpassing Gavril’s example, otherwise I’m useless and my future will slip away from me and I’ll be unhappy for the rest of my life.” However in the same vein she’s showing strong signs of a sub-lie. “I have to sacrifice everything or I’m worthless.” However, if you were to ask her “Why do you have to?” She’d probably answer “Because Gavril did” and it boils down to the same thing. It might be that characters have a set of interconnected lies, and especially in a series sometimes you just have to bookmark them and move on. For example, Liorah was showing signs of this “I have to live up to Gavril” nonsense all the way back in book 1, but she had a block in her way “Why should I?”. It was still there, it was just hidden. As circumstances changed it popped up again worse than ever. I hope that rant was at least somewhat useful!

Yeah that’s super interesting that her misbelief boils down to wanting to be like her brother. Honestly the more complicated a character the more I love him/her XD

So I’d really love to know where you’re at with writing your WIP Rose 🙂 are you in the middle of writing your draft or just working on characters? For me I’m definitely just working on character arcs and personalities.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Haha it was a huge adjustment, but a good one too! I’m just gonna wait and see what God has in store for me. So I’m studying film   one is a research module where you get to pick your topic, and the others are animation and music in film. I’m really liking them so far!

Oh man that sounds like an awesome major!! That sounds like so much fun! What’s your favorite part?

Haha funny story – my friend and I tried to go see a movie but it got cancelled cause of the weather. So we just studied together instead (I know I know, I am such a prude lolll). But I was keeping an eye on the weather on my laptop cause I was terrified than any moment it would be a really bad storm and if we leave too late we would get injured or something. That didn’t happen of course thank God.

Whew! I’m glad you all got off alright! IKR, friday night was the worst storm I’ve ever been in!

Thats a wise decision to make, tbh I should stop revealing so much about my other characters cause someday a clever reader is gonna put two and two together and work it all out before I’ve even published the darn thing  I’m planning a very big twist for my series, but it won’t be as exciting if I don’t stay quiet lolll

LOL that’s such a mood! XD I’m constantly terrified you all will figure out the whole plot before reading a word XD I’ve already spoiled one or two minor reveals XD

The constant struggle between ranting about your plot and trying to keep it a secret because it’ll be more fun XD

Yeah thats so true! I can’t wait to read more about Aydin and Liorah, I’m really loving them cause I just feel like I understand them. Mayra is quite similar to Aydin in terms of misbeliefs, she believes that there is no such thing as good people, her own survival is what matters most, she’s not responsible for anyone/anything else, she also believes she’s a bad person and incapable of good.

I’m so glad you like them!! Oohh, Mayra sounds facinating!!

In my opinion, even if a character does terrible things, as long as I understand their motives and why they think the way they do, I will literally praise their character arc till the day I die haha.

E x a c t l y XD It’s hard to write but awesome when it’s executed well!

Yeah that’s super interesting that her misbelief boils down to wanting to be like her brother. Honestly the more complicated a character the more I love him/her XD

Exactly! I’ve been writing Liorah as a protagonist for almost two years constantly, but I keep discovering new things about her!

I think one of the biggest issues is that she sees Gavril as perfect, which comes from his own desire to live up to expectations. Inwardly he’s terribly insecure, but Liorah never sees that because she has this perception of him. It takes a lot of time to break down XD

So I’d really love to know where you’re at with writing your WIP Rose   are you in the middle of writing your draft or just working on characters? For me I’m definitely just working on character arcs and personalities.

Okay, lemme see, I finished the second draft of the first book (I completely rewrote it XD), the first draft of book 2, and I’m halfway with the first draft of book 3! I’m working on that now, and it’s making good progress!

It’s the first book where Aydin has a POV and he’s so much fun to write! He’s cooperating really well while Liorah is balking like a lame mule with a toothache. I have to drag her through the plot, which is quite unlike her. Usually, she’s the one dragging me. In the wrong directions but still XD

When do you plan to start writing, or haven’t you decided yet?

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@everyone

I HAVE RETURNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m going to post Niarok’s POV prolly this evening or tomorrow…

Also…

This is gonna break y’all’s hearts…

But you see I have to do some development on Niarok’s character that I really wasn’t expecting and um…

Well, you’ll see.

"The darkness is seldom complete, and even when it is, the pinprick of light is not long in coming."

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy

Oh man that sounds like an awesome major!! That sounds like so much fun! What’s your favorite part?

Thanks!! I think the research module is probably my favourite because I get to pick a thesis topic that I’m actually  interested in, and if you like the topic that’s half the work ya know? I only picked the class because all the other ones weren’t available so I’m happy with how things worked out so far 🙂

Whew! I’m glad you all got off alright! IKR, friday night was the worst storm I’ve ever been in!

Thanks I’m glad you’re okay too! Yeah that was an awful storm so it was😬 UK was hit very bad, but I managed to avoid the worst of it thankfully.

I think one of the biggest issues is that she sees Gavril as perfect, which comes from his own desire to live up to expectations. Inwardly he’s terribly insecure, but Liorah never sees that because she has this perception of him. It takes a lot of time to break down XD

I love how you just wouldn’t see that straight away with her character, because she comes off as sassy and a bit arrogant. Like – I mean – you saw how she was with Lorcan XD. Lorcan usually can sort of tell what someone is thinking, but not even he would have figured out Liorah’s true feelings about herself!!

Okay, lemme see, I finished the second draft of the first book (I completely rewrote it XD), the first draft of book 2, and I’m halfway with the first draft of book 3! I’m working on that now, and it’s making good progress!

It’s the first book where Aydin has a POV and he’s so much fun to write! He’s cooperating really well while Liorah is balking like a lame mule with a toothache. I have to drag her through the plot, which is quite unlike her. Usually, she’s the one dragging me. In the wrong directions but still XD

Yooo thats class! You’ve gotten so far, that’s brilliant. I’m so envious that you’ve figured out the plots for the first three books XD, I’m the total opposite! Do you use Microsoft Word for writing your novels? I do but I’m so tempted to spend money on Scrivener instead…

Yeah I like that, mix it up with the POVs a bit XD. Do you write in first person or third? Mayra is my main character but I’m planning on introducing another POV in Book 3.

So – you don’t have to tell me of course, its totally cool, but – do you plan on making Liorah and Aydin a couple by any chance? I sort of get that vibe from them 🙂

I’m so glad you like them!! Oohh, Mayra sounds facinating!!

Thanks! Tbh I find it difficult to get into her head sometimes cause of the way she is and what she has gone through. I kinda wonder sometimes am I giving her too much truama? I think I’m so used to seeing characters with tragic backstories that it has imprinted itself on my mind. What do you think?

When do you plan to start writing, or haven’t you decided yet?

Soo I have technically written the draft in bits and pieces but I’m having a hard time trying to actually write a solid draft. I have about 3/4 of Book 1 figured out and maybe half of it written. But most of it has been cutting out chapters tbh. Its less to do with lack of motivation and more to do with my obsession of getting my characters right before I put them down on paper. I’m a bit of a perfectionist…

I also spend sometime doing character art for my characters, which actually helped me with story ideas. So yeah….😂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Neasa.
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@everyone:

Hey folks! I have been AWAL for so long here it’ll be hard to get back in! Actually, it’s possible I won’t get back in…I mean, if someone’s waiting on me, maybe just move on and pretend my characters aren’t there; then if I get time later I can just catch up. Does that work?

Annd, congratulations @irishcelticredflowercrown! Good for you! And I’m glad both you and @rose-colored-fancy are safe after the storms. Over here we could use spring any time now, lol. 7-12 foot snowdrifts in my backyard! (2.1-3.7 meters).

And hey, folks! Check out the SE blog on Thursday! A poem of mine is getting published!!!!

Also, I’m doing a Sleeping Beauty re-write. Maybe someday (if I ever get done with Quin and Qatar, lol) I’ll drop some of those characters in here. that wouldn’t be even close to fantasy anymore, but whatever I guess.

How’s y’all’s writing been going?

@denali-christianson
    What. Did. You. Do. To. Niarok?!

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@emily-waldorf

Welllllllll… I needed to see how Niarok would respond to having Yila traumatically removed from him…

Sooooooo…

Hence the post I’m about to write…

"The darkness is seldom complete, and even when it is, the pinprick of light is not long in coming."

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@denali-christianson Wait, as in REMOVED? You didn’t kill off his loved sister, did you?!

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Uughhhhhh sorry this isn’t quite Niarok-ish. I haven’t written his POV in WAY too long and I’ve kinda slipped out of his head…

Also what I threatened to do in my last post is going to take a bit longer than I thought because #development lol. Also @irishcelticredflowercrown Niarok basically ended up butting into Daire’s entire life like the dad that he is…

Niarok

Niarok glanced down into the hole. Yila appeared beside him, her eyes steely. Yila didn’t like heights.

Niarok squeezed her shoulder. “You need to jump,” he whispered.

Yila glared at him. “I can’t.”

Niarok shut his eyes momentarily. The ground was breaking up. They both needed to jump, and they needed to jump now, or they were going to fall through the cracks and end up who-knew-where.

Yila glanced behind her, saw the cracks forming in the floor of the cavern, and bit her lip. The weakness glimmered in her eyes for a brief moment before Evie came bounding up, leaping between cracks with agility that surprised Niarok.

She handed Yila her pack, which she seemed to have forgotten in the scramble to reach the edge.

Yila glared daggers at Evie, but Evie didn’t shrink. She just stared back for a moment, almost challenging Yila, before lightly leaping into the hole and landing with a roll at the bottom.

Niarok raised an eyebrow. He had definitely underestimated Evie.

Yila grabbed Niarok’s arm, her hands trembling.

“I can’t. I really, really can’t,” she choked out. Sweat beaded on her forehead.

Niarok had seen that look far too many times.

He pulled Yila to his side, trying to calm her by sheer force of will. She panted, on the verge of a panic attack.

“Yila,” Niarok whispered. His sister stared at him with panicked eyes. “Yila, I know you can’t, but you have to.”

“I know,” she whimpered. Tears formed in her icy eyes as she trembled. Yila was never this weak, and it almost scared Niarok. He felt helpless.

“Please,” he whispered. Tears started in his own eyes. If they didn’t jump right now they would die. And Yila’s death would be his fault.

Yila dug her nails into Niarok’s arm, squeezing her eyes shut. Her mouth flattened into a thin line. “Do it with me,” she hissed.

Niarok smiled. “Always.”

She jumped.

Niarok jumped too.

His feet hit the ground and he rolled. As he stood up, he saw Yila hugging the floor, panting hard.

The floor.

The surface of the new tunnel was smooth, like it was deliberately carved to impress.

Dread filled Niarok’s heart.

Klein stepped forward down the hallway, and the group of people followed. Niarok hung back, waiting for Yila to get up.

She just laid there panting.

A smile tugged at his lips. Few things could make Yila quite so vulnerable as a cliff.

“You coming?” he asked.

“I’m going to throw up,” she groaned.

“Then don’t do it on me,” Niarok replied, holding out a hand for his sister to take.

Yila gave him an indignant smile and let him help her up. “Thanks,” she whispered, and Niarok nodded.

They followed after the others.

Rot. Dead rot. Niarok’s nose wrinkled at the stench, and Yila tensed, her hand going to her knife. There was the body. Short, squat. Dwarfish. Niarok winced and stepped around it, and Yila followed, taught and catlike.

Klein was looking down into a pit of some sort in which there laid a sleeping creature. A dragon.

Niarok sighed. He really was done with all of this, and his supplies were starting to get somewhere below comfortable levels. If he ran out of herbs, his skills were basically useless.

Then all of a sudden, something very hard and very… body-ish slammed into Niarok. He stumbled to the side, catching a man with ginger hair before he tumbled too much further.

The man stumbled away, grabbing a bag he’d dropped. He looked around in a panic, searching through his bag, and then yelled something about pancakes. His accent reminded Niarok acutely of Lorcan, just way more energetic and happy.

Klein placed a hand over the man’s mouth, snapping at him. Niarok sighed and offered the man a hand, shooting Klein a subtle look. Klein slowly released his grip on the man’s mouth.

“I’m Niarok. And Klein’s right, we should probably be quiet,” he said as he helped the man to his feet. “There seems to be some variety of creature down there.”

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@emily-waldorf

Gahhhh you’ll see… Saying it now would kinda spoil the shock of what I have to do sooo

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

This is gonna break y’all’s hearts…

But you see I have to do some development on Niarok’s character that I really wasn’t expecting and um…

DENALI NO!!!! DON’T HURT HIM!!!! 😭😭

Thanks!! I think the research module is probably my favourite because I get to pick a thesis topic that I’m actually  interested in, and if you like the topic that’s half the work ya know? I only picked the class because all the other ones weren’t available so I’m happy with how things worked out so far

Ohhh, that’s so cool! Have you picked a thesis topic yet? What is it?

I love how you just wouldn’t see that straight away with her character, because she comes off as sassy and a bit arrogant. Like – I mean – you saw how she was with Lorcan XD. Lorcan usually can sort of tell what someone is thinking, but not even he would have figured out Liorah’s true feelings about herself!!

Liorah is so immensely complicated, all her sass and arrogance comes from that deep insecurity. She’s really interesting and odd that way XD It’s fun but also hard to write.

Yooo thats class! You’ve gotten so far, that’s brilliant. I’m so envious that you’ve figured out the plots for the first three books XD, I’m the total opposite! Do you use Microsoft Word for writing your novels? I do but I’m so tempted to spend money on Scrivener instead…

DO IT Scrivener is awesome!!!! I’ve been using it for more than a year (I got it for my birthday) and it’s just the best! It’s so easy to overview and organize, I love how it works!

Yeah I like that, mix it up with the POVs a bit XD. Do you write in first person or third? Mayra is my main character but I’m planning on introducing another POV in Book 3.

I write in first person, with a few chapters from side characters in third person! Book 2 and 3 are dual POV, with Liorah as one, and Faye in the second book and Aydin in the third. In both cases they have seperate plotlines that tie in together.

I really like dual POV, ngl, but there’s always one that’s more fun to write XD

So – you don’t have to tell me of course, its totally cool, but – do you plan on making Liorah and Aydin a couple by any chance? I sort of get that vibe from them

Okay, SO, I seriously considered it, and that was even the plan at first, but Liorah told me that one of them wasn’t going to survive that and Aydin looked more disgusted than I’ve ever seen him, so… no XD

I reconsidered because they’re just a bit too similar. They generally just don’t get along, it’s just a clash of personalities. There’s a lot of emotional baggage between them, and it’s messy, personal and irreversable. Like, even now they don’t completely like or trust each other.

It takes Liorah a l o n g time to really forgive him, but I think they end up in a sibling-like friendship.

However they both get love interests! Liorah and Ferran end up as a couple, and Aydin and Faye went and fell in love without my permission.

It was hilarious, I was writing him and Faye as completely platonic and it suddenly turned into “Aydin, why do you keep describing her in that much detail? What are you doing!?” And then “Faye, n o, stop falling in love, this isn’t the plan”

And then I just gave up completely because they’re actually very cute together and they deserve each other XD

Thanks! Tbh I find it difficult to get into her head sometimes cause of the way she is and what she has gone through. I kinda wonder sometimes am I giving her too much truama? I think I’m so used to seeing characters with tragic backstories that it has imprinted itself on my mind. What do you think?

Honestly any backstory that sufficiently motivates the character and explains their actions is good with me! I think as long as the trauma directly impacts her worldview it isn’t unnecessary!

Soo I have technically written the draft in bits and pieces but I’m having a hard time trying to actually write a solid draft. I have about 3/4 of Book 1 figured out and maybe half of it written. But most of it has been cutting out chapters tbh. Its less to do with lack of motivation and more to do with my obsession of getting my characters right before I put them down on paper. I’m a bit of a perfectionist…

Well that’s a mood XD I’ve been there too! But sometimes you just have to think “I will write a terrible draft and make it everyone else’s problem” and then just write trash wholeheartedly! (That’s just how I draft, it’s barely intelligable with occasional flashes of genius XD)

I find that once you have the first draft down it’s much easier to figure out your characters for the second draft! But yeah, you love your characters so much and you really want to do them justice! I totally get that!

I also spend sometime doing character art for my characters, which actually helped me with story ideas. So yeah….

LOL SAME XD I draw my characters more than anything else, they just make me so happy!!! I’ve drawn Liorah S O often XD

@emily-waldorf

I have been AWAL for so long here it’ll be hard to get back in! Actually, it’s possible I won’t get back in…I mean, if someone’s waiting on me, maybe just move on and pretend my characters aren’t there; then if I get time later I can just catch up. Does that work?

That’s cool, I get when that happens! 🙂

Over here we could use spring any time now, lol. 7-12 foot snowdrifts in my backyard! (2.1-3.7 meters).

Good yikes y’all have the worst weather!!

And hey, folks! Check out the SE blog on Thursday! A poem of mine is getting published!!!!

THAT’S AWESOME I’M SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! Well done!!! 😀

Also, I’m doing a Sleeping Beauty re-write. Maybe someday (if I ever get done with Quin and Qatar, lol) I’ll drop some of those characters in here. that wouldn’t be even close to fantasy anymore, but whatever I guess.

Oohh, that’s so cool! I love that idea! I’d love to have you drop them in eventually!

I’ve actually been working on a new story idea… or well, two XD I think I might drop some characters in from them! One is a contemporary/dark academia murder mystery and the other is a 16th-17th century pirate novel XD

I think I might drop in from the mystery, just because I have two interesting characters for there. I think I want to finish this challenge with Liorah and Aydin, I pretty much have them figured out anyway, and then I might add in Athena and Ophelia! (Temporary names, they named themselves XD)

LOL, I kinda want to see them interact though… Athena and Liorah will hate each other and Athena is going to scare the life out of Aydin. I think Liorah won’t like Ophelia either, and Liorah will scare her. Ophelia and Aydin might like each other a bit though XD

How’s y’all’s writing been going?

Chaotic XD Too many ideas not enough time XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@denali-christianson glad to have you back! Lets see what fate has in store for Daire and Niarok teehee

@rusted-knight
    thanks for starting off the introductions! XD

Daire

A strange looking armoured man marched over to Daire seconds after he had made his cheerful greeting. And clamped his hand over his mouth. “Keep it down or finding pancakes will be the least of your worries,” he hissed.

Daire raised an eyebrow. What sort of a situation had he gotten himself into? Clearly it was serious enough that apparently his beloved pancaked were the least of his worries.

“Mmph mm umma hmemm?”, he questioned the armoured guy.

Someone appeared beside him, offering Daire a hand. The armoured guy slowly released his grip on the Daire’s mouth.

“I’m Niarok. And Klein’s right, we should probably be quiet,” he said as he helped Daire to his feet. Jeepers this fella was strong and sturdy. Daire wondered what he ate in order to keep his strength.

“There seems to be some variety of creature down there,” Niarok continued.

Daire cocked his head curiously. He did love unusual creatures. Following Niarok’s gaze, he was greeted with a sight that sent excitement fluttering in his belly. Below, a grey dragon was nestled in the darkness. His eyes widened. A dragon? A real one? He hadn’t seen one in – donkey’s years! “Mag-nificent,” he muttered. “Would ya look at that.”

Pulling his gaze away reluctantly, he looked at Niarok. “Was it you I collided with? My apologies. I was falling through darkness and I had no sense of direction whatsoever.” He bowed his head respectfully.

His gaze caught on two girls standing near Niarok, and his smile widened. “Well! I didn’t realise I would be graced with the presence of some lovely cailíní. May I ask for your names too?”

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

DENALI NO!!!! DON’T HURT HIM!!!!

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 I DON’T WANT TO BUT I HAVE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS AND GAHHHHHHHH I’M DYING RIGHT NOWWWWWWWW

glad to have you back! Lets see what fate has in store for Daire and Niarok teehee

Thankks! Glad to be back!!! HHEEEE I’m excited… XD

I gotta figure Niarok out again before I do the thing though… @rose-colored-fancy would you mind initiating and interaction between Niarok and Aydin? I need to get back into Niarok’s character and that would be so much easier if he was interacting with someone he’s interacted with before. 🙂

Niarok

Daire looked rather shocked as Niarok pulled him to his feet, almost like he was wondering how Niarok was so strong. You don’t want to know.

“There seems to be some variety of creature down there,” Niarok whispered.

Daire’s eyes lit up and he cocked his head. Niarok smirked. Wrong warning, I guess.

Daire stared at the dragon for a moment, his mouth working, eyes wide. “Mag-nificent. Would ya look at that,” he whispered. He stared, spellbound, before dragging his gaze back to Niarok.

“Was it you I collided with? My apologies. I was falling through darkness and I had no sense of direction whatsoever,” he said with a respectful bow of his head.

Niarok nodded back. “I was, but that’s alright. Keeps me on my toes.”

Daire smirked at him before his eyes caught on Yila and Evie. Niarok briefly wondered where Liorah had got to, but he was distracted when Daire said, “Well! I didn’t realize I would be graced with the presence of some lovely cailíní. May I ask for your names too?”

Yila glared at him.

Evie smiled warily. “Evelyn,” she said, taking a step forward. It reminded Niarok of Yila when she was tracking an enemy.

Evie was dangerous. Very dangerous.

Niarok decided she didn’t need much protection.

Daire looked completely flabbergasted by Evie despite the fact she was muddy and bedraggled. Although her brown hair and hazel eyes were pretty no matter how messy.

Yila wasn’t going to say anything. She usually just seriously injured anyone unwise enough to flirt with her. Niarok had been shocked when she didn’t seem to react the same way to Lorcan.

But Lorcan gave her another reason not to interact with Daire.

Niarok resisted the urge to sigh. Life was so much simpler as a doctor than an ex-assassin. Unfortunately, he was both.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

I gotta figure Niarok out again before I do the thing though… rose-colored-fancy would you mind initiating and interaction between Niarok and Aydin? I need to get back into Niarok’s character and that would be so much easier if he was interacting with someone he’s interacted with before.

Okay! Lemme see if I can pull something together…

And I’m going to use the antagonists idea becauese there’ll be so much juicy conflict *Evil laughter*

Aydin

The ceiling completely split open now and Liorah finally tumbled through. The castle had followed through on her dare.

She landed well, she had obviously practiced falling as well. Of course she had, her idea of fun was deliberately falling off a galloping horse. Despite the fact that she didn’t seem to have gotten hurt, she expressed her feelings by swearing. Loudly.

I rolled my eyes but didn’t retort.

There was some uproar up ahead, and I noticed Klein was looking over a pile of rubble. Someone unfamiliar was near him, talking to Niarok. He had the same accent as Lorcan.

Liorah scrambled up and ran up behind Klein and clambored up on the rubble before anyone could stop her.

“What in the eternal blue heavens is that?” She hissed.

“Dragon,” Niarok retorted, absently.

I stood next to Liorah, just about ready to pull her backward in case she was going to attempt to climb over for some reason. It was ridiculously stupid so I considered it well within the range of possibilities.

I looked past her. A huge, lizard-like winged creature lay coiled up, apparently asleep.

“I think we’re supposed not to wake that,” I pointed out.

“You’re really brilliant today, have I told you that yet?”

“Thanks for the compliment.”

“Don’t get used to it.”

There was a soft clink and rattle. I paused, uncertain whether it was real, but Liorah cocked her head and scanned the room.

“There,” she hissed, jerking her head at one corner of the room.

I looked past her and my heart plummeted. Someone was chained to the wall in the corner of the room. They were trying to squirm free without making any noise. I recognized the quick, agile movements and the dark hair draped over her face. I felt sick. I had hoped never to see her again.

Liorah noticed what I had and quietly swore again, then backed away and raked her hand through her hair.

“Okay, new plan,” she said, cheerfully. “We go the exact opposite direction and do not turn around.”

“Liorah, she’s trapped. The… creature might attack her.”

Liorah grinned.

“You really are brilliant today.”

“Liorah, no.

Niarok walked over to the rubble barricade and glanced over, then turned back to me.

“Who is that?”

I sighed.

“Someone I never hoped to see again.”

“That was his girlfriend, you know, that one,” Liorah supplemented, without hesitating.

I flinched. How much had she told them?

Denali, you’ll have to take it from here XD This took a shocking amount of effort. It’s practically impossible to write Aydin the same way, he’s gone through quite a bit of character development in-story and I keep slipping back into that XD

I think I need to take them out right after this challenge, since they’re making this as hard as possible XD

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

I think I need to take them out right after this challenge, since they’re making this as hard as possible XD

NOOOO MY CINNAMON ROLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON’T TAKE THEM FROM MEEEE!!!!!!!!! You should totally throw Aydin back in at his current development stage…

I’ll write the mine a bit later! 🙂

Neasa

Daire

The girl who looked a little like Niarok gave him a filthy look. Okay. She wasn’t going to be an easy egg to crack.

The other girl smiled apprehensively in his direction. “Evelyn,” she said, taking a step forward. The way she stepped forward – jeepers it reminded of that time when he was cornered by a bear. She looked like bad news. Daire grinned at her, heart leaping. Was love at first truly possible after all?

Oh what did he know! He fell in love with every girl he came across, no matter how squat or sour tempered they were. He looked back at the other girl and winked. Her gaze turned even darker.

Well this was going to be fun!

A shadow appeared over them and a figure stepped up near the girl. Tall. Raven-haired. Well-built. Shockingly handsome. Everything that Daire was not.

And all of a sudden, the sour-faced girl was beaming and blushing like crazy at the stranger. Daire’s mouth fell open. Well that was a strange turn of events!

The new man looked at him coldly as if to say stay away. He stared at the man’s attire – he was an assassin by the looks of it.

But – not just any assassin. The way the darkness surrounded him – it was as if he was almost radiating shadow. As if he could use shadow for other purposes…

His eyes widened in shock. His breathing grew laboured. “No – way!”

The man turned to stare holes into him. Daire simply stepped forward on shaky legs, raising his finger to point up at him. The assassin raised an eyebrow.

“It’s you – I know who you are,” Daire said breathlessly. “You’re-you’re him. I can tell by the way the darkness responds to you! You’re the Phantom Ranger! Aren’t you? Deadliest assassin of all the Northern Hemisphere. Feared by even the most powerful elites. You – you use shadow for transportation – at least that’s what they say in the tales. You’re – I thought you were just an urban legend. I – I -”

It was too much. Daire found his knees trembling. His eyes filled with tears. “My goodness. To be greeted with the sight of such glory. A warrior such as yourself – it – it – it is an honour!”

He screamed the last words out, his arms practically spread out. “Please Sir, I am in your service. Consider me a humble servant – and a longtime admirer of your various adventures and endeavours!!”

Someone appeared to be laughing somewhere in the background. They were sharing in his joy! “Yes! Rejoice all who witness this meeting – the Creator has truly blessed me today,” he whooped.

Okay he was probably being a little over the top in this moment. But he just had to let out all of his emotions all at once or he was going to explode.

The assassin was so honoured by his words that his eyes seemed to be flashing like lightening, his jaw tensing with joy. Anyone else would say that he wanted to kill him. But Daire knew better.

“Who in the blazing wastelands of Connacht are you?”, the assassin growled. Daire’s excitement climbed even farther. Good heavens – even his voice was glorious! All rough and dangerous like he wished for nothing more than to kill him right this second. Daire had never felt as happy as he did in that moment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,891 through 1,905 (of 2,830 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest