fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,351 through 1,365 (of 1,505 total)
  • Author
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

I’m so glad you had a breakthrough on Acyn! (Does this mean we get him in the castle longer? Hmmm? kidding–you take him out whenever you need to.)

It was really fun, to read through all your characters and what parts they play in the band. 🙂 Do you have a solution yet for Acyn, or have you just diagnosed the problem?

I am now very curious, wondering if my characters fit into the five man band mold? It also made me want to get writing, because Anika and Natalya haven’t appeared in the story yet, and I WANT TO MEET THEM NOW!

On that Day I want those who hated me most to have the least to say against me. ~Quin Miller

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

*drops out of the ceiling into a crouch baring a knife*

I’M BACK EVERYONE!!!!!! After spending three days on the road running in and out of hotel rooms.

So anyways…

@irishcelticredflowercrown

You got Niarok soooo right!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

I’m also veeeery excited to see where this goes!

@rose-colored-fancy

That rant was EPIC!!! I’m sad that Sahar and Acyn are leaving… but I’m really excited to read your book when you publish it!!!!

@emily-waldorf

SAME!!!!! Especially on the first level. There’s that part with the… Imma stop so I don’t spoil anything… Suffice it to say I totally thought I was on a real boat half the time and it made me all teary constantly!

Same. It makes me really sad. I want to grab all the people by their collars and yell at them to read it!!!

@calidris

Thanks! YES!!!!!!!! I love her! She’s a literal copy of me… mix in some Katniss Everdeen and a splash of Pippin and you have my personality! I think Aragorn, Legolas, and Faramir made it at least equal with her on my list of favs, but picking just one fav LotR character is completely impossible (to paraphrase what you said…)

Okkkkaaaay and now I go back through all those epic posts and try to figure out how to write Niarok and Yila. And Leytera. Oh well…

"The light perceives the very heart of the darkness." -Haldir

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Okay on second thought I don’t have time to post rn so I’ll be back later…

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

t was really fun, to read through all your characters and what parts they play in the band.   Do you have a solution yet for Acyn, or have you just diagnosed the problem?

I have some solutions that I want to change during my next draft around! If you hadn’t seen it yet, Acyn has a tendency to pretend that he doesn’t actually want to be there, and he’s definitely the most cautious of all the characters. So I’m just toning down the caution and turning up the chaos XD (Who am I kidding, Acyn would totally do dangerous stuff if it looked interesting XD)

I also have a couple scenes I can make his role slightly more active in. I’m somehow convinced Acyn is that one character that is unreasonably well-connected (because he befriends everyone who seems interesting XD) so he’d probably be like “I know someone–” like three times a book XD

Liorah is usually the one who makes the plans (because she’s the MC and it’s important for her to have as much agency as possible) but I thought it might be a cool idea to make her overlook a rather obvious fact (she would totally do that XD) and then Acyn can kinda amend her plans.

So, I do have some ideas!

I am now very curious, wondering if my characters fit into the five man band mold? It also made me want to get writing, because Anika and Natalya haven’t appeared in the story yet, and I WANT TO MEET THEM NOW!

Anything that gets you excited about writing is awesome! If you want to learn more about the five-man band, that same channel has a whole, detailed video on it.

The channel is called Overly Sarcastic Productions (or just OSP) on YouTube. They mostly make stuff like “History summarized” “Classics summarized” and videos about myths and of course, the Trope Talks. That’s my realm, I don’t venture into the others often.

The Trope Talks are basically analyzing a specific trope for like 20 minutes. Red (the narrator) is amazing at this, since she’s also a writer. She doesn’t just analyze how it works, but why it works that way, variations, issues, and potential for how to use it.

The videos are also exceptionally amusing, Red has a great sense of humor.

Warning though, there might be some language. I don’t remember anything exceptionally inappropriate, though I do advise you to use your discretion (of course XD)

I’ve watched most of the videos at least twice and I’ve learned a TON from it.

@denali-christianson

That rant was EPIC!!! I’m sad that Sahar and Acyn are leaving… but I’m really excited to read your book when you publish it!!!!

I’m glad you enjoyed it 🙂

I’m actually not planning on publishing at the moment 😅 These books are just for me to have fun with. But if you want to beta-read sometime in future? (Not soon, but once I worked on it a little more XD) I like having people read it, I just don’t plan to publish yet.

@everyone

I’ll try to post again soon! I’m just a bit busy with NaNo!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@denali-christianson

Aww I’m happy to hear that! I think Niarok and Lorcan are going to have a very interesting dynamic. This will be fun.

@rose-colored-fancy

Glad to hear that you had revelations about Acyn! I love when that happens. I actually had a simply wonderful new revelation about Lorcan – and that led to the creation of two new characters! I mean they already existed, but they were like ghosts in my head so I didn’t know what to do with them. But now I know who they are pretty much XD.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

I’M ALL FOR THE BETA-READS BRING THEM ON!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

*rubs hands in anticipation*

Let’s do this!

calidris
    @calidris

@emily-waldorf lol Misu’s had too deal with all sorts of people so I think he’ll be fine!  I’m really looking forward to these interactions too, but fair warning – I don’t know how much longer he’s going to be in here 🙁  I have some other characters that I’m wanting to develop, but I don’t plan on pulling him out anytime soon, so we’re good for now!

A little heads up, Misu likes to revert back to his human form after revealing himself (he really just wants to fit in with everyone else and be friends with all of the humans – he learned that the hard way with poor Liorah lol).  I’m not sure how much you already know about him, so here’s a little description:  In his human form, Misu appears to be East Asian, he’s medium-height/ever so slightly on the tall side, and right now he’s wearing a cream turtleneck/trousers and a pale blue overcoat.  I think he has a sword, but he hasn’t used it yet, so I don’t really know about that one…

What do Quin and Qatar look like?  And what kind of setting are they from?  Misu is from a dystopian sci-fi/fantasy thing 🙂

Also, Quin has been tugging at my heartstrings this whole time 🙁  Poor little guy!

@rose-colored-fancy
    YEE I’M BACK!!!  Aaaand this is exactly why Misu is one of my favorite characters lol.  He’s so sweet, and so fun to write!

@denali-christianson
    That’s so cool!  I’ve definitely related to fictional characters before, but often more because we share similar flaws…

I have to say, Gandalf is probably one of my top favorites, especially after reading about his backstory!  Have you read the Silmarillion?  It’s definitely different from LotR, but it offers a ton of insight into Middle Earth’s current situation, and the worldbuilding is just *chef’s kiss*

What’s the current character limit in here?  I have a couple of characters I want to develop more, but I’m not ready to pull Misu out quite yet…

Also, does anyone in here do this thing where they have an interesting character they really like from an existing work who doesn’t get developed that much, so you just steal uhhh create a new character who just happens to have the same personality, character flaws, and appearance so you can mess with their development and kind of make them your own?  This is something I actually do rather frequently *side eyes Misu* and I may have a character that I may or may not have stolen from one of my existing favorites today so I thought I would ask before I stick him in here lol

*laughs as one fey*

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@denali-christianson

YES! I think I know what you’re talking about! Which was your favorite level? I got all choked up coming onto the Ark, too. It was so unreal, and so amazing and awesome! I think it should make it into a 7 Wonders of the Modern world list.

@rose-colored-fancy

That sounds like a good idea for Acyn. 🙂 Thanks for the info on those videos. And I’m glad someone besides me is just writing for fun–not to get published.

@calidris

OK, good to know about Misu! Qatar is tall, with dark hair (black or black-brown), and a a more chisled face, along with dark eyes.  I figured he would look normal, but I needed to add something about light around the eyes cause I couldn’t think of anything else. Feel free to change it!

Quin is short and very thin, with his left leg missing past the knee and two wooden crutches. His hair is sandy brown, and his face is sorta round. I never remember his eye color though. He’s dressed in a whitish shirt and brown suspenders–Qatar is dressed similarly. They come fro a mid-1800s style farm, but they don’t live in our world. They come from a low (very low) fantasy setting–it’s basically our world with different geography/history. 🙂

Yay, I’m glad Quin is tugging on your heart! Do you have any thoughts about Qatar? (what are your impressions of him, is a better question)

Also, YES LoTR! some of my siblings and I are studying it, and we’re in the first part of tRoTK. My favorite characters are:

Legolas, Aragorn, Faramir, Sam, Merry and Pippin, Beregond of the Guard. I really like Boromir and Gandalf, too, though! (And Gimli isn’t bad, either, lol). I haven’t read the Silmarillion, but it’s on my list! What is your favorite tale from the Silmarillion? (I’ve heard about some major ones from others who’ve read it).

On that Day I want those who hated me most to have the least to say against me. ~Quin Miller

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

I’M ALL FOR THE BETA-READS BRING THEM ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Yayy!!! *Puts you on the list for a future draft*

@calidris

What’s the current character limit in here?  I have a couple of characters I want to develop more, but I’m not ready to pull Misu out quite yet…

It’s cool! I don’t know how many characters we’re at but I don’t care! Society is imploding! Drop in the character! (I need to go to bed, don’t mind me. XD)

Also, does anyone in here do this thing where they have an interesting character they really like from an existing work who doesn’t get developed that much, so you just steal uhhh create a new character who just happens to have the same personality, character flaws, and appearance so you can mess with their development and kind of make them your own?  This is something I actually do rather frequently *side eyes Misu* and I may have a character that I may or may not have stolen from one of my existing favorites today so I thought I would ask before I stick him in here lol

As I said before, it’s all cool with me! He sounds like fun! Do it!

@emily-waldorf

Yay, I’m glad Quin is tugging on your heart! Do you have any thoughts about Qatar? (what are your impressions of him, is a better question)

I have thoughts! I have lots of thoughts but the first one is… precious sweetheart if anybody hurts him I’ll hurt them!! I love him 🥰

Okay, for some more helpful observations. I can see he’s really struggling to come to terms with his disability. He’s struggling to see what his future will be and he feels that he’s lost all his potential and skills. I know he has it in him, he’s just scared to fail so he doesn’t commit to anything.

Also, I feel like Qatar babies him a little, reinforcing his view that he’s ‘useless’. Qatar does it with the best of intentions, but I don’t know if it’s helping him.

He’s a really kind person, kind of shy and insecure, and that’s even more reinforced by everyone’s reaction to his disability and he isn’t confident enough to push through it.

I’m going to write a few bare details about my new character because I’m so incredibly excited to drop him in!

He’s about nineteen, but he looks a couple years older. He usually looks kind of shy, but he has a tendency to switch attitudes quickly, almost seeming like a different person when he needs to.

He has pretty severe PTSD from several things I’m not going to go into because he’d hate me for that. He’s always on high alert and has bad nightmares and insomnia. He tends to have hallucinations, both auditory and visual, but he knows he does so he doesn’t trust himself. Ever. (Which is also reinforced by a history of emotional manipulation but let’s not get into that.)

He’s about 5’10”, brown skin and long-ish dark hair. He’s the only character besides Sahar who is described as good-looking by more than one person on more than one occasion. (Do with that what you will XD)

At this point, he recently recovered from… events that involved him getting pretty seriously ill, so he still looks it. He has a recent scar on his right forearm, and as I mentioned before, his right hand is completely paralyzed. He hasn’t come to terms with it yet.

I can’t wait to introduce him! *Excited squealing*

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

And.. I have a bit of time so I can write another bit for Acyn and Sahar.

Acyn

Niarok, Lorcan, Quin and the other man with the long dark hair had disappeared into a far tunnel and it was getting colder fast.

I didn’t even think about following the advice to get close and wait to freeze to death.

I shivered and hurried along the walls, looking up at the ceiling, examining every inch of the walls, floor and ceiling. I was not dressed for this. Sahar and I had come straight from a desert in the middle of summer, we weren’t wearing more than one layer of linen and weren’t even close to prepared. I hated being unprepared.

There it was, a gap in the ceiling. Barely wide enough to fit my fingers through, and it was high up.

Worth a try.

“Where are you going?” Sahar asked, wrapping her arms around herself and frowning up at me.

“Nowhere,” I said, already halfway up the wall. I wasn’t good at climbing, but this wall had noticeable gaps in it. Too late, it occured to me that the castle might want us to climb this.

Sahar realized what I was doing and stood watching me.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” She asked, dubiously.

“I know it’s terrible but we’re low on options,” I said, trying to slide aside the stone panel. It was easier than I’d expected.

“Coming?” I asked, climbing up through it and into the darkness.

“You bet I am,” Sahar said, already right behind me.

Author’s note: Don’t trust them to follow instructions. Ever.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

Thanks for the input.

Also, nice!!  He sounds like a fun character. AND HE’S 19?! that’s Quin’s age exactly!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

Also, nice!!  He sounds like a fun character. AND HE’S 19?! that’s Quin’s age exactly!

Yay! He and Quin are going to get along so well! I bet they’ll like each other!

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Klein flinched as several of the men left for the back of the cave. One was missing. Instinctively, he wanted to help but this could be a trap. Someone had to be rearguard. And the temperature was dropping. Slipping up to the entrance of the cave, Klein looked out. Clouds had gathered and covered the sky. A flash of lighting burst in the cloud but the thunder was muffled. It was strange but this whole place had proven to be.

Looking down, Klein searched the nearby jungle. There was a dead tree down with vines beginning to grow over it. He didn’t see any beasts. Finding a shallow alcove in the cave wall, Klein stood with his back to it. Hissing, his suit unlocked and opened. While it was surge protected, a hit from lightning would still fry it. Stepping free of the armor, Klein stood in his green jumpsuit. It had been cleaned of all national and military insignia. If he died and his body couldn’t be recovered, there would be no legal ties to the United States.

Detaching the shotgun from his carbine, Klein crouched by the entrance. With a final check, he sprinted to the fallen tree. Keeping low, he ripped several large branches off with loud cracks. Scooping the wood under his arm, he brought them to the cave. Creeping back out to the tree, Klein gathered more. By now the temperature was clearly dropping. His breath was turning into fog. Flakes of snow began to fall. And, as if to continue to oddity of this land, thunder.

Grabbing a last load, Klein slipped back into the cave. Suddenly turning, he checked again for beasts. Nothing was seen to arouse suspicion. What wood they had would have to do for now. The cave roof sloped upward so smoke would escape. It was a risk but freezing temperatures were just as bad.

Hopping back into his armor, Klein brought the firewood back to the campsite. Misu and company had returned. Qatar looked like he lost a battle with a fire hydrant. Whittling on a branch, Klein gathered the shavings into a pile. Lighting them, he slowly fed the flames with increasingly large pieces of wood.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Sahar

A light flickered on. How did this place have so many lights? It was kind of impressive! I liked the way it brightly lit the room.

Acyn made a disgusted noise.

“Look at that, a puzzle. I hate this.”

Not just a puzzle. The floor was filled with deep craters, each so close to the others that it was impossible to walk between them.

“Want to bet what happens when you step on one of those?” I asked, peering into one of the craters. Or well, dips. They weren’t that deep.

“Something involving death,” Acyn suggested, darkly.

I nodded, enthousiastically.

“I think you might be right! We make a great team.”

“I drew one conclusion and now we’re a great team?”

“I decided that speaking from past experience,” I said.

“What are we talking about?” Acyn asked, baffled by the turn in the conversation.

“You tell me,” I said, cheerfully.

“Let’s just… get to those obviously placed buttons,” he said, gesturing to two large, blatantly placed buttons on the other side.

“That’s brilliant too,” I said, wondering when he’d catch on that I was teasing him.

“I know, let’s go.”

Not soon.

________

Also, I wrote the absolute Mona Lisa of dialogue today and I need to bless you all with it. (That was sarcasm, it’s stupid but it made me laugh XD)

“Liorah, what were you thinking?” Acyn asked.

“You think I was thinking?” [Liorah] said, tiredly.

“I think you don’t think but that’s besides the point,” Acyn said.

(I’m sorry if none of this makes sense, I only get time to write these rather late at night and my thoughts become more than a little disorganized at these hours.)

Neasa

Lorcan

Lorcan could feel the tension in his spine as they moved closer to the sound of rushing water. He tightened his jaw. Something was coming. Again.

“I sense a presence,” he said in a low voice. “Something is waiting for us.”

Niarok met his gaze warily. “What is it?”

Lorcan stretched out his senses, feeling the shift and pull of the molecules in the darkened cave. His skin crawled as he sensed something that wasn’t emitting carbon dioxide. Something big.

“We move forward,” he rasped. “There’s no turning back now.”

Niarok gave a sharp nod of affirmation.

They continued down the damp, rocky path. Rounding a corner, they entered a large cavern. Stalactites and stalagmites rose up above them. And at the back, something watched them from the shadows.

As they stood there with bated breath, the creature raised its bat-like wings.

Lorcan couldn’t help but let out a low whistle. “Finally. Things are becoming interesting again.”

His blades slowly slid out from his sleeves, making smooth metallic sounds as they were unsheathed. He didn’t take his gaze off the creature now ambling towards them as he said under his breath to Niarok, “Here’s the plan. I go left. You go right. Sound all right?”

@denali-christianson

hope i got Niarok right here 🙂 I’m a bit stuck for dialogue so I just threw in another monster LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1,351 through 1,365 (of 1,505 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest