fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,366 through 1,380 (of 2,830 total)
  • Author
    solanelle
    @calidris

@emily-waldorf tbh it would be incredibly in character for Misu to forget to completely “turn off” his angel mode, plus it would provide some light for Qatar to really get a good look at him.  I’m all for leaving that part in!

I’m not sure if this is completely accurate, but does Qatar feel some resentment towards Quin?  The impression I get is that he’s had a lot of responsibility put on him at a rather young age (he and Quin’s mom died in the same accident that took Quin’s leg, right?).  I think maybe he feels love and obligation towards Quin, but he also feels some resentment towards him as well.  They’re both intriguing, and I can’t help but feel for them!

As far as the Silmarillion goes, it’s hard to pick a favorite story because they’re all so depressing!  I really enjoyed the interactions between the Valar.  I thought it was cool how even though they were literally gods, they still messed up (although they had the best of intentions), and still needed the help and guidance of the one True God.  Also, Mandos was iconic lol

Feanor’s story was rather entertaining at first but took a dark turn.  That’s honestly one of the things that I liked about it – it’s incredibly tragic, but realistically so.  Characters aren’t killed off for shock value, but rather as a result of the horrible decisions they and others make.

*laughs as one fey*

solanelle
    @calidris

The man coughed, gasping for air.  He propped himself up on an elbow and squinted up at Misu.

“Qatar Miller. Where’d you come from?”

“Oh.”  That’s a good question.  “I’m actually not quite sure.  I came from back there somewhere, but to be honest I’m not sure how I ended up in this cave to begin with.”  His smiled faltered.  That’s hardly a good first impression.

Oh well.

“What about you?  Where’d you come from?”  Misu smiled hopefully.  “You don’t happen to know the way out of here, do you?”

A few pebbles suddenly skidded down the small cliffs ahead.  Misu whipped around as something crashed over the edge, falling on the cavern floor with a dull thud.

“That was a person!” he gasped.  He patted Qatar’s shoulder and tried to smile.  “I’m going to go check on them.  I’ll be right back!”  Misu pushed himself up and sprinted away.

A young man lay at the foot of the cliffs, curled up next to a splintered crutch.  Misu crouched down beside him, trembling as he reached for his neck.

Pulse is fine.  He sighed in relief.  He’ll still need attention, though.  That was a nasty fall.

Misu gently scooped him up, gingerly balancing the broken crutch across the mans’ knees.  He carefully picked his way back to Qatar, wincing at each faltering step.  The floor of the cavern was rocky and uneven, but walking back was easy, at least for him.  His new ward on the other hand…

Two disasters in one place.

Misu flinched as his foot jolted down yet another tiny ridge.  The young man stirred.

If only I was back in Spire…

He sighed.  There was some good in that decaying city, no matter what people said.

I wonder what Saskia is doing?

Probably picking fights with the Shrike. 

He better have not opened up any new rifts…

Misu groaned.  There was going to have plenty of work to do once he returned, he was sure of it.  He smiled faintly as Qatar slipped back into view, growing closer with each step.

Oh well.   Perhaps I was sent here for a reason!

He gently set the young man next to Qatar, nervously biting his lip as he glanced between the two.

Wait…

This young man looked much smaller and weaker than Qatar, but there was somehow a striking resemblance between the two.  “Qatar, are you two related by any chance?”

*laughs as one fey*

solanelle
    @calidris

Also, what kind of a setting is the main group in?  I’m going to drop a new character in, but I’m not quite sure what environment to have him stumble upon 🙂

@denali-christianson
    I wasn’t here for a lot of the new storyline (I may have done some stalking though lol), so could I have a quick reminder of Niarok and Yila’s (also Leytara) personalities/appearances?  Also, what kind of a fantasy setting are they from?

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@calidris

WHy didn’t I get emails for these?? Disgrace on the server!

Also, what kind of a setting is the main group in?  I’m going to drop a new character in, but I’m not quite sure what environment to have him stumble upon

OooOOHhh! The Shrike? Or Saskia or that other one? So many possibilities! Anyway, they’re in a big cave with a stream in the back, my characters are crawling around in the ceiling. (Don’t ask, I’m just out of ideas for other ways to get them out.)

In the back of the cave, there’s a narrow passage that leads to a way bigger, darker cave where the stream turns into a river. (As far as I can figure out)

That’s where Misu, Niarok, Qatar and Quin are rn. I’m probably going to drop my new character in there. (I really just want to see the look on his face when he sees whatever monster crawled out of the depths. XD)

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@calidris

Good! Yeah, Qatar is resentful. It’s kinda because he loves Quin that he resents him. They were best friends before the accident, and their relationship didn’t change with the circumstances, so it stagnated. (“Didn’t change”–they wouldn’t let it). Qatar is angry at circumstances, at Quin, but most of all at himself, for being angry with Quin. (I hope all that made sense!)

Yup, it was a wagon accident that killed Jade Miller and crippled Quin–It happened 10 months ago, so Qatar was 24 and Quin was 18. (Now Qatar is 25 and Quin 19).

I’m so glad you feel for both of them! I was really hoping I could achieve that. 🙂

Yeah, I’ve heard it’s more depressing than LoTR, but also really beautiful. The story of Feanor sounds heartbreaking. 🙁

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Emily Waldorf.

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

“Oh.”

The man looked petrified for a moment.

“I’m actually not quite sure.  I came from back there somewhere, but to be honest I’m not sure how I ended up in this cave to begin with.”  His smiled faltered.

Right. Got it. Qatar coughed.

“What about you?  Where’d you come from?”  Misu smiled hopefully.  “You don’t happen to know the way out of here, do you?”

He coughed again. Who do you think I am, anyway?

“I’m from the Vegada Circle, Ferdina Island, close to the coast.”

I don’t know how I got here, either, but I can do a  better job at telling where I came from than you can.

From somewhere that seemed neither close or far away, few pebbles suddenly skidded down the small cliffs ahead.  Misu whipped around as though he was skittish, and Qatar grunted.  not gonna bite you.

Something large and heavy crashed over an edge, following the stones into the darkness below it to the cavern floor.

“That was a person!” he gasped.  He leaned back and patted Qatar’s shoulder with a sickly smile.  “I’m going to go check on them.  I’ll be right back!”  Misu pushed himself up and sprinted away.

Great. Fine. Go away.

The man called Misu disappeared into the darkness and Qatar sat up and had a good cough. His lungs burned, and his arms and legs were still numb from the iron grip of that creature. He shivered, and pulled Misu’s coat closer around his shoulders.

It’s colder than it used to be. He looked around. Everything was dark and damp, and he couldn’t see very far. Misu’s head appeared, then the rest of him.

Qatar squinted at him. What’s he got? Misu was carrying something that looked almost as big as he was, limp and heavy and…

A knot fell into his stomach. No. It can’t be. He tried to sit up further, tried to see the face of the man Misu was carrying, but he knew without looking. Every curve of the hands, every line of the limp body; the hair that was lighter than his own, the small foot, slightly curved in, the one empty pantleg.

No, little brother! I need you still.

He sprang up, then fell back with a groan. It hurt too much to stand, but he didn’t pause to ask what was wrong, and started crawling toward Quin and Misu.

Misu set Quin down next Qatar–gently enough, but Quin stirred and groaned, and Qatar’s eyes shot daggers at Misu. If you’ve hurt him more than he is already, I’ll kill you with my bare hands.

“Idiot! ” he grunted at his unconscious brother. “What were you doing up here?” He felt for his pulse. It was weak. When isn’t it?

“Qatar, are you two related by any chance?”  Misu hovered above them, biting his lip and staring nervously down.

“Of course we’re related,” he snapped. “He’s my brother. Quin Leiland Miller–the biggest idiot in the Circle.”

That wasn’t called for. He’s probably just trying to help…

He turned his attention back to Quin. His cheek was covered in blood.

and broken bones? we’ll have to get him back to the others.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Sorry, folks. that last bit wasn’t very intelligible…

solanelle
    @calidris

@emma-miller that was really funny until you got to Qatar’s reaction to Quin, and then it was just sad 🙁

I broke Quin’s crutch, but feel free to change that part if you want 🙂

*laughs as one fey*

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Qatar is actually worried sick about Quin,but it comes out in anger. That dude has problems.

No, a broken crutch is probably a thing. 🙂 Poor guy has been having so much trouble keeping his crutches together in this castle, lol

solanelle
    @calidris

@emily-waldorf he clearly does, but that just makes him so much more interesting.  I think that flawed characters are really fascinating, especially since we don’t see a lot of good, realistic ones.  Idk, but I kind of get the impression that a lot of “flawed characters” tend to either have major issues that get kind of waved off, or laughably minor flaws.  I’m rooting for Qatar, though (and Quin – they’re both very sympathetic).

Speaking of flawed characters, Feanor’s story is definitely heartbreaking, but more so because of his sons imo.  Dude was pretty nasty to begin with,  plus everything that happened to him occurred as a direct result of his own actions, but his sons got sucked into it and suffered as a result 🙁

Also, fair warning: I’m pretty sure Misu has ADHD so this might just end up being a lesson in patience for Qatar lol

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

I have no idea how to take Sahar and Acyn out so I’m just going to write something terrible and get them out XD

Acyn

We somehow made it to the other side of the minefield, without anyone falling through the floor.

There were two large buttons, one blue and one purple. What kind of color scheme was that? 

The castle boomed in delight.

“Now, one of these buttons will bring imminent destruction and the other– What are you doing?”

Oh, goodness.

“So, what happens if I press both? Sahar asked, sheepishly.

“You already did, didn’t you?” I asked.

“Maybe?” Sahar tried to look innocent and failed.

“They were so big and shiny, what else was I supposed to do?”

And then we were gone, hurled back into our own world by an annoyed castle.

________

My one weakness is writing in animal sidekicks and then forgetting about them XD Azar is fine, the Castle teleported her out and she just went home. She’s fine, I promise 🙂

This stands as one of the worst things I’ve ever written but here it is and I’m done with it XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

And here we go!! I’m introducing the new character!!

_______

Something was watching me. Possibly several things. Their gazes crawled across my back, watching, judging, calculating.

The feeling was more familiar than it should have been but no less unsettling.

I tried to turn around, but it was dark everywhere, the mind-numbing darkness of something that wasn’t quite real.

I rolled my eyes, trying to supress the panic already clawing at me by making fun of the situation.

Which was it this time? Flashback, hallucination, nightmare, or some combination?

At least I wasn’t paralyzed in fear this time. At least, not completely. Lately my hand had been paralyzed even in my dreams. It scared me.

I reached out through the thick darkness, trying to find something, but there was only emptiness, all around me. I felt completely exposed, nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide. And something was watching me.

I took a step, then felt the ground slipping beneath me, like I was walking on a narrow ledge. I froze, trying to slow my breathing.

This wasn’t real. It would pass. It would go away and it wasn’t real. Don’t panic.

Who was I kidding, I was panicking. My heartrate was ridiculously high and I felt like I was going to be sick.

Think of something else, anything else.

She was the first thing that popped into my mind. She had always been, but as soon as I remembered she only amplified my fear, the memory of the last time I’d seen her overwhelming anything else.

The darkness smelled like smoke and something sickly sweet. I hated that smell.

Why was it always there? Couldn’t my dreams pick something else just for once? I was almost as annoyed as I was scared.

I took a step forward, knowing there was a ledge there. Or not. Depending on what was happening. I certainly didn’t know.

I slipped and reached sideways automatically, trying to hold on to something, only to remember that my right hand didn’t work. I fell hard, but not far. The shock of the fall hit through me and I felt like I’d fallen a good deal further.

Something was coming. I knew it was. I heard it. Or I didn’t. I knew it was there. Was it?

I scrambled up and took another step forward, the feeling that something was behind me was worse than the fear of not being able to see where I was going. I’d been stumbling through the dark most of my life and I’d fallen often. I didn’t have to be afraid of falling anymore. Nowhere to fall to once you’ve reached rock bottom.

Had it happened yet? Was I still waiting for it to be over? I wished it was. It smelled like smoke all around and I ran.

“Coward.”

I tried not to smell the smoke, tried not to see the darkness, but it was everywhere, it wouldn’t leave me. It wrapped around me, tangled in thick brambles I couldn’t break through.

Then the sounds began. Footsteps, echoing, retreating and coming closer. Right behind me. The feeling that something was coming was closer than ever.

Something screamed. It sounded like her. It was a shriek of fear like I’d seldom heard before and I knew it was her.

I turned the other direction and ran even faster. Away, away anywhere away.

“Traitor. You’re the most faithless person I’ve ever known.”

Not real. But it was. She’d said that. It wasn’t real. I’d heard it.

I was out of breath, trying to keep breathing. I couldn’t stop now, even with all the smoke. I had to keep going.

There was nowhere to run to. They would find me. There had never been a way out. They knew. They knew everything. I shouldn’t have tried to fool them, I wouldn’t get away with it. I hadn’t. I shouldn’t have tried.

Something was singing, his voice echoing off the stones. There was stone, like I was in a tunnel. The great emptiness had been replaced, getting narrower, leading straight toward something. It was waiting for me. Anticipating me.

I didn’t want to go there, but Kongar’s voice was drifting toward me. Where from? I tried to look over my shoulder. He couldn’t be singing. Not anymore.

He had hated me. Of course he had.

“Coward.”

I was. I was running and I didn’t know what from and I couldn’t stop.

My shoulder slammed against the wall and I gasped in pain, recoiling from it. It was so narrow I could barely fit now.

I was trapped. It was a dead end and there was nowhere to run to and this would never end. It would never get better. This would keep happening, over and over, a hundred variations, the ghosts of my past gathering together to terrorize me over and over until one day everything stopped. Would it be a relief? Had it been? I couldn’t remember.

There was a sudden wave of light, blinding, blocking everything out, making me close my eyes and recoil from it.

Flames, hot and furious, and so much blood and a voice reciting something in a different language and a girl’s voice joining him and it was all my fault.

The light faded, leaving only the faintest glow at the end of the tunnel. It suddenly seemed wider. I could fit.

The sounds faded, the smell of smoke was gone. It had all disappeared so quickly. I was quivering like a leaf, so out of breath I felt sick. I was easily in the worst condition I had been in my entire life. I used to be able to run half an hour without losing my breath. Maybe it had been more than that. Maybe I’d been standing still this entire time.

I carefully took a step forward, reaching out to touch a wall to make sure it was really there and I was really here. Not that it told me anything.

Perhaps I’d fallen from one dream straight into the next. That had happened, the initial relief disappearing into new horrors. I hated it when that happened.

I took another step forward, careful to keep my head down and stay in the shadows.

There were people, several of them. A man kneeling next to another, smaller one, with a third man with long black hair next to them. He was faintly glowing. Of course he was.

I rolled my eyes. This again. Another dream. Or whatever it had been.

And there was a large creature with bat wings and two men going up against it.

I watched with detatched interest. If my dreams followed their usual pattern, that beast would have been attacking me. For once, it wasn’t.

It was hard to keep thinking straight. It was all still blurred, muddy, the sounds mingling together, the rush of water, whatever sound the creature was making, talking people, it was all too loud and too close and too far away.

I raked my dark hair away from my face. It instantly fell back, but I couldn’t bring up the will to care.

My knees felt weak from whatever had happened and I leaned against the wall, trying to find some stability.

My instincts kicked in and I tried to slow my breathing so nobody would hear me, to stay in the shadows so they wouldn’t see me. I didn’t want to be here, I didn’t want to be noticed. Never be noticed.

And then I started coughing. It had happened often after the fire. Pain spread through my chest as I coughed, trying to stifle it, trying not to let them see me.

I couldn’t stop. It hurt and I couldn’t stop. I hated it. I hated feeling sick, I hated being out of breath so easily, I hated not being able to reach for weapons when I needed them, I hated reaching for something and remembering I couldn’t.

Why had she done it?

Someone looked up. Someone saw me. They noticed me.

I hunched my shoulders, in a reflex to appear smaller. The coughing finally stopped, but everyone had heard it by this time.

This was dangerous. I needed to get out of here.

I stiffened, taking in the people in the large cave. All men. Men with sharp eyes, scars and broad shoulders, all of them except the smallest one, who was still sitting against a rock.

I knew people like this, I’d been around them all my life. I had been one. Perhaps I was one. None of them reacted well to strangers or suprises. I was either a potential threat or a potential target. I had to make sure to be neither.

Don’t be agressive, don’t be weak. Don’t let them see you be weak. Never let them see you’re afraid.

I straightened my shoulders and shoved my hands into my pockets, partially because it looked confident and partially because it would hide the fact that my right hand was permanently curled in a fist. They would find out but not before I let them.

They probably couldn’t see me. I was still in the shadows. I let out a deep breath. I was still trembling but they couldn’t see that unless they came closer.

I took a step forward, into the faint light.

Ooh, that was fun to write! That was everyone’s bit of absurdism for the day XD Before you ask, yes, it was mostly a dream. It was partially induced by the Castle (that was the presence he constantly sensed) but the rest was just kinda a nightmare. I think. XD

I spoiled so many things but all of them so dramatically out of context and vaguely I don’t even understand it XD

Sorry for the long post, I was having too much fun 🙂

I can’t wait to see how the others react to him!

solanelle
    @calidris

Anyway, they’re in a big cave with a stream in the back, my characters are crawling around in the ceiling. (Don’t ask, I’m just out of ideas for other ways to get them out.)

@rose-colored-fancy
    you know…I’m not even going to question that one

Sounds good!  I’ll probably drop him in with Misu and Qatar as well.  He’s from the same setting as Misu, but I don’t think they’ve officially met.  This is going to be interesting!

Also, I read your guy’s entry…never thought I would see a Kongar reference in the Character Castle lol!  I’m intrigued!

@emily-waldorf
    @rose-colored-fancy @denali-christianson I’m dropping my boy in!  For reference, he looks similar to my pfp minus the mask and moles (although he might have a respirator stored away somewhere – you can never know how bad the pollution’s going to get on any given day…)  I’m not quite sure what he’s wearing, but right now he’s bundled up for a biting, toxic winter in Spire 🙂  Fair warning, he’s not very well developed yet, so we’ll see where this goes!

Basil:

Basil drew his coat tighter around his shoulders, hunching forward against the driving wind.  Small flurries of ashen snow whipped and curled around his feet, twisting like shadows under the glaring street lights.  The air bit at his skin, pricking and buzzing like…

Oh no.

The air snapped and crackled, pulsing and throbbing with sickening intensity.  Basil winced as a blinding pain erupted in his ears.  Yeah I think we’re done here.  He turned, setting a brisk pace back down the street.  The air buzzed against his skin.  A deafening roar suddenly ripped through the air, twisting and rising into an ear splitting screech.  Basil sniffed.  No way I’m dealing with this tonight. The air sparked.  Basil’s heart jumped.  He’s noticed me.  He whipped around, pulse thundering in the back of his throat.  Fractals of blinding light splintered the atmosphere.  Basil ran.  Please Sasha I’m just trying to get home –

The atmosphere suddenly erupted in blinding light, and then…darkness.

Basil stumbled forward, blinking in the inky black night.

Is this another alternate reality, or have I gone blind?

A muffled voice echoed somewhere behind him.  He whipped around to see a faint light filtering through the darkness.  He blinked.  I guess I have to make it up there somehow.  He clicked his tongue.  Could be a trap, though.  Oh well. 

The light was stronger now, although still faint.  He was in some sort of cavern, and the light seemed to be filtering through the roof.  Basil glanced around nervously as he picked his way across the floor of the cave.  The ground was smooth enough, but it was too dark to see much of the cavern floor.  I wonder if there’s bats in here.  His lip curled.  They’ve probably littered the whole ground here.  I’m probably stepping in all sorts of bat droppings.  He shuddered.  In that case, there’s probably all sorts of infectious diseases here, too.  I don’t like that.  Basil pulled his scarf over his nose, just in case.  I don’t like that at all.  In fact, this whole place is positively miserable.  And how am I supposed to find food here?  If I can’t find food, I’ll starve, and in that case I would have to eat a bat to survive.  And that is disgusting.  I would probably die of some unknown disease if I did that, so I’m definitely not eating a – Basil stopped short.  Four men stood in front of him, staring at him with some mixture of shock and relief, and perhaps a bit of disappointment as well.  Basil’s shoulders dropped in sudden relief.  He blinked, the slightest hint of tears pricking at the back of his eyes.

Basil tilted his head, carefully inspecting the group.  One man stood in the shadows off to the side, hands buried deep in his pockets.  Basil shot him an approving glance.  Good idea.  That’s exactly what I would have done.  It was too late to hide, though.  Two more men sat near a rock – one drenched, the other apparently injured.  The other man was…glowing?

Basil sniffed.  “You’re glowing.”

*laughs as one fey*

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Quin

There was a jolt that sent pain shivering all over his body. Quin didn’t open his eyes. Everything hurt. For a minute he thought he was in another nightmare.

He sniffed, half expecting the smell of fire, or the sweaty heat of horses. All he smelled was blood.

So it is a dream.

He stayed perfectly still; if he didn’t move, nothing would hurt too much. It’s the way it always was. Just wait for the nightmare to pass. It took a minute for him to notice that his left leg hurt terribly. Not just the amputation site; all up and down, from the tips of the phantom toes into his hip.

That’s what sparks the nightmares.

Or maybe it was the other way around.

He half smiled. Even the pain and the dreams were bearable if he could have his left leg back, just for a few moments. One by one he tried to wiggle the toes, longing to feel their familiar scratching against his shoe.

“Idiot!” hissed Qatar. “What were you doing up here?”

Another pain, much different and deeper made Quin forget about the ghost pains, or even the real ones.

Qatar never says that in my dreams. It’s always what he said the day It happened, and he still called me Quin then. Never little brother, and idiot only when I was one.

He peeled one eye open, just a crack. The pain didn’t get worse, and that more than anything convinced him that it wasn’t a nightmare after all.

Qataar leaned over him, his face half shielded in shadow, but defiantly wet.

where’d he find a place to swim? Quin shivered. and why would anyone want to in this cold?

“Qatar, are you two by any chance related?”

who’s that?

he opened the other eye. A man stood there, his arms wet up to the elbows, with black hair that bounced around his shoulders. [ @calidris I heard Misu had shoulder-length hair?] In the depths of his eyes and around his ears and fingertips there was some sort of whitish light.Quin closed his eyes. Maybe it’s a dream, after all.

“Of course we’re related!” Qatar barked, almost in his ear, and pain ricocheted from his eardrums to everywhere.  Nope. Real life.

“Quin Leiland Miller, the biggest idiot in the Circle.”

That’s a new one. he couldn’t help but feel a little pleasure at hearing Qatar say his name again, even if he was barking it at a man with shining fingertips.

Suddenly they both seemed to stop and look at something. The voice of the shining man asked a question that sounded like “who’s there?” and there was some scuffling sounds in the shadows.

Quin opened his eyes, and immediately Qatar’s eyes were trained on his. For an instant a look flashed through his eyes that looked like the old Qataar; something close to relief.

“What did you think you were doing, climbing around in a cave on those crutches of yours!”

His voice was funny.  Like there was something in the way.

“I’m sorry Qatar. You were gone–I thought–”

“No, you didn’t. I was fine.”

The shining man gave something that sounded like a gentle snort.

“You shut up” snapped Qatar.

Quin winced. Loud voice again.

“Can you yell a little quieter?”

Qatar frowned down into his face. Something in his eyes seemed to break, and he answered in a softer tone,

“Where does it hurt, little brother?”

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Emily Waldorf.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@calidris

In fact, this whole place is positively miserable.  And how am I supposed to find food here?  If I can’t find food, I’ll starve, and in that case I would have to eat a bat to survive.  And that is disgusting.

Basil sniffed.  “You’re glowing.”

Basil is a big mood and I love him XD

you know…I’m not even going to question that one

Sometimes it’s better not to ask.

Also, I read your guy’s entry…never thought I would see a Kongar reference in the Character Castle lol!  I’m intrigued!

One of the funniest things about this character is that he has a terrible history with e v e r y o n e. If you can think of someone, they have some kind of dramatic backstory with him. He’s very tired of it. XD

You’ll see more of those references *wiggles eyebrows* If you’ve been paying attention in the Villian’s Castle, you might even guess who he is.

@emily-waldorf

The voice of the shining man asked a question that sounded like “who’s there?” and there was some scuffling sounds in the shadows.

Btw was this directed at my character or at Basil?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,366 through 1,380 (of 2,830 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest