Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@mischievous-thwapling

Ha ha!

Yes, I just couldn’t help pulling that!

It is actually sorta funny, ’cause I have to slow down and make myself think like Ahab — as in was the one being impulsive and had to remind myself he is not like that. I also have to try to think like a smart villain.

God is great, milk-shakes are good, and people are crazy.

Mischievous Thwapling
      @mischievous-thwapling

I know!! A lot of times in my writing I’ll stop and realize that I’m writing what  I  would do, not the actual character….. It’s something I struggle with, too.

"A writer is a world trapped in a person. " ~Victor Hugo

Wingiby Iggiby
        @wingiby-iggiby

Exactly! A villainous struggle it is. 😛

The Writing Falcon
          @millennium

Erin forced out a harsh laugh, her face in a taunting smirk before morphing into a cold glare. She swung her rifle towards the mountain of a man. Sander could’ve beat him. But he wasn’t here.

Erin set a cold glare. “Don’t play dumb with me, assistant of Kias,” She took a few steps towards the man and held the tip of her rifle to his chest. “Tell me who you are and where Kias is. Now.”

He didn’t look too smart, maybe Erin could talk her way out. She could take down everyone on this room, but her rifle was low on charge. She had used a lot of it in her fight with Kias.

Kias had to fall! Maybe if she killed this…lord of the castle, the others would flee. Erin adjusted the setting and lowered her voice. “We wouldn’t want this to go off…would we?”

Ten million fireflies

Cathy
          @this-is-not-an-alien

And now there was a loud bang before some tall dark and scary-probably murderess-lady shot into the room. Literally, shot. At the Axe Girl. Ehud yelped and ducked back behind the couch. Could this day get any better?!
            “Tell me who you are and where Kias is. Now.”
            Ehud banged his head on the couch. This day could not get any worse.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Cathy
            @this-is-not-an-alien

can i just say, i can’t wait to see how Erin and Mongrol will act around each other 😀 I love it i love it i love it!

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rusted Knight
              @rusted-knight

Allen watch the situation. The axe user was down but not dead. She wasn’t electrocuted. Whatever it was, he could not break. She would have to sleep it off. The woman was threatening the “lord”. Allen didn’t believe that at all. But if a fight began now, no one would win anything. A zero sum game. Now how to prevent a fight. Humans couldn’t see him so if he started talking, it would only complicate things. Flying beside the woman, he looked at the gun. The safety looked easy to switch without her noticing.

“What are you doing?” demanded the woman.

“Nuts.”

Allen bolted back. She could see him.

P.S. Fey in my story are invisible to a normal human but that protection is disabled for the castle

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Mischievous Thwapling
                @mischievous-thwapling

Nice, guys! The story’s really picking up and getting exciting…. I’m sad that I won’ to read it or attribute to it for 2 weeks.

@rusted-knight

Ok, that makes sense! I was actually wondering how it would work if we couldn’t see Allen.

"A writer is a world trapped in a person. " ~Victor Hugo

Wingiby Iggiby
                  @wingiby-iggiby

Ahab raised his hands as well as his eyebrows as the woman jabbed the stick into his chest. His mind raced. He wasn’t afraid, but he wanted to make sure that he talked his way through this carefully. He spoke slowly and smoothly, but let a growl play at the edge of his voice. As a villain, it wasn’t hard to come up with a dangerous tone.

“Well, aren’t you the snobby type, little lady? I don’t recommend letting that go off. It’ll take more than a little stun to get rid of me, and by then I will have gotten rid of you. But I don’t want to do that. I can tell you are smarter than you look, so let’s not play dumb, shall we?”

The woman was getting impatient, and Ahab knew it. A tiny little hover person flitted by, then at a glare from the woman flitted away. Huh?

“I don’t know Kias–” the lady clicked something on the clicky-stun-stick. “But I’ll tell you what I think.”

She narrowed her eyes as Ahab spoke. “I think I know where he is. If you take that stick off me, I’ll promise to explain; but if you shoot me, well, I don’t think you’ll get the info you want. I promise not to hurt you — yet, anyway. And as Lord of this Castle, it won’t go good for you if you kill me.”

Ahab waited to see what she would do.

(Lol, guys, I’m enjoying this too!)

Wingiby Iggiby
                    @wingiby-iggiby

@millennium

I hope I didn’t control Erin too much! If I did, just let me know 😉

Cathy
                      @this-is-not-an-alien

Oh, please correct me if I do your characters wrong in any way so I can edit…I think I can edit…I can probably edit…can I edit?

Axe Girl hasn’t moved yet. It was beginning to scare Ehud.
                        “We wouldn’t want this thing to go off, would we?”
                        Just great, now the Super Villains were duking it out on each other. What’s-who’s Kias? Oh crap, he’s been dripping blood on the floor. Ehud tried to wrap an arm around his…where’s…I have lost so many things before (the pencil tucked behind my ear, pocketknives, my phones, other peoples’ phones, even a bomb once). But how. Did I lose an injury??? He blinked, blinked again, and shook off the thought. Was there any possibility of getting to Axe Girl without getting shot? Was she ok? Miss Murder’s in the way, he couldn’t possibly sneak by.
                        “Um…can I…?”
                        “Not until I get answers.” cut in the sharp reply to which Ehud instinctively evaporated under the couch again.
                        “Uh, yeah no, but…but is she gonna be ok?”
                        “I’m warning you, missy, you need to put that little toy down.” She was obviously scared of something and Super Villain was trying to use that to his full advantage. He hoped they didn’t kill each other but right now he was more worried about the unconscious girl on the floor.
                        Miss Murder stared Ehud down a full five minutes before answering his question, in preference to responding to the more muscular bully.
                        “It’s highly unlikely she’ll suffer any real injury. This time.” She made a move like adjusting something on her gun but that might have only been to scare him. It worked. (It wasn’t like any gun he’d seen before, man, what he’d give to piece it apart and see how it functioned. Right now especially).
                        “Ok ok, but can I…well sorta…can I get her…outta the way for ya?” It was the most helpful way he could think to phrase it.
                        “You stay exactly where you are.” From then on she ignored him beyond a few cursory glances to ensure he followed orders. Ehud dropped behind the couch and raked a hand through his hair in concentration. If he could sneak to one of the books he could dowse it in alcohol, set it on fire and throw it at someone…Of course that begged the question; what then? He could die?
                        Wait, was that a fairy wrestling with the gun in Miss Murder’s hands???

Wingiby Iggiby
                        @wingiby-iggiby

@this-is-not-an-alien

“Wait, was that a fairy wrestling with the gun in Miss Murder’s hands???”

Why do I find that so funny?!

You represented Ahab totally fine! Sorry y’all’s characters haven’t been too active. I guess when villains get in the way, it sorta throws things off…

The Writing Falcon
                          @millennium

Erin gave the flying little man a stare of irritated amusement. “Who are you? Some holographic projection? Buzz off.” She swatted at the fey and turned a furious gaze back to Mountain Man.

“Well, aren’t you the snobby type, little lady?” He jeered. “I don’t recommend letting that go off. It’ll take more than a little stun to get rid of me, and by then I will have gotten rid of you. But I don’t want to do that. I can tell you are smarter than you look, so let’s not play dumb, shall we? I don’t know Kias, but I’ll tell you what I think.”

Erin cocked her head to indicate she was listening, but didn’t move her rifle.

“I think I know where he is.” Mountain Man began. “If you take that stick off me, I’ll promise to explain; but if you shoot me, well, I don’t think you’ll get the info you want. I promise not to hurt you — yet, anyway. And as Lord of this Castle, it won’t go good for you if you kill me.”

Erin raised an eyebrow. “But if I do kill you, it would prove my abilities and quickly persuade others to give me the exact same information that you could give me,” she smirked. “Anyway, if I killed you, wouldn’t it make me lord of the castle?”

A voice came from one of the other people in the room. “We wouldn’t want this to go off, would we?” He sounded nervous. Good.

Nervous Guy looked from Axe Lady to Erin. “Um…can I…?”

Erin sighed inwardly. Distractions. “Not until I get answers.”

“I’m warning you, missy, you need to put that little toy down.” Nervous Guy didn’t sound too nervous anymore…

Bah, any respectable person would fake confidence. She could. She was right now.

Wait…toy? Did he call her high-class, custom tailored, high-powered, light energy harnessed weapon a TOY?! And a little one at that? Who did this guy think he was?

Erin suddenly realized she had been staring at him with a murderous look in her face for a good while. She tried to scrape her dignity back together. “It’s highly unlikely she’ll suffer any real injure. This time.” That didn’t sound half bad.

Nervous Guy muttered something about leaving, but Erin has turned back to Mountain Man. “Stay right where you are.” She instructed Nervous Guy.

She pursed her lips, waiting for the response from Mountain Man about her last comment to him, ignoring anything else Nervous Guy has to say. He didn’t matter at the moment.

Ten million fireflies

The Writing Falcon
                          @millennium

You guys aren’t controlling Erin too much. You’re good. 😜

I love all the nicknames we’ve dubbed each other. XD

Ten million fireflies

Wingiby Iggiby
                          @wingiby-iggiby

(Yes! I love reading all the nicknames; they’re so funny! 😀 And thanks! I’m glad I wasn’t controlling Erin too much.)

Ahab listened as Miss Snobb argued with the jittery-couch-potato. It was the distraction he needed as he contemplated her answer. He knew what he would say to her idea of killing him and getting information, but what about the lord of the castle one? That was a puzzle.

Of course, she was technically right. But why hadn’t she killed him already? She either really enjoyed bantering or was stalling — but for what reason? Maybe because she knew she couldn’t kill him. Maybe she was really desperate for information. But Ahab wasn’t the lord of the castle, so if she exterminated him she wouldn’t have any power at all. He had no power either except for one of exacting fear to get what he wanted — that and brute force.

But where was the real lord of the castle? There must be one. Surely he would’ve turned up by now; or at least some of his minions. The strange group had made plenty of noise, and as far as Ahab knew no lord would tolerate mysterious intruders in his domain–

And then it hit him.

The castle was magical, that was obvious. It somehow made him walk out of his room and into itself with some strange power. It changed it’s doors and brought these weird characters in– and for no apparent reason. It seemed to have control. The castle was its own master.

The castle was the lord.

Ahab nearly guffawed, and just in time remembered to keep his face straight. Now he had his answer.

“Stay right where you are,” Miss Snob said to Jittery-couch-potato. Then she turned to Ahab with a glare, waiting. She fingered her bulky stick, ready to react if anything bad happened.

Ahab put on his best smile — which looked more like a snarl. “Go ahead, then. Kill me. But you won’t get what you want. These odd-balls here are intruders in my castle, as are you. They know nothing. I, on the other hand, know something. And if you killed me, you would not be lord of this castle, because the castle is the lord of ME!”

(Ok, so I stopped here because I had an idea. What if the castle gets angry, and vibrates it’s walls and turns swirling shades of red. Then, when it’s done, the characters find themselves in a whole new room — with perhaps a sort of deadly trap. It’s just a thought; it might shake things up a bit and get our characters moving. But if y’all’d rather not, that’s totally find 😉 )

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 128 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Stop Forgetting to Develop Your Characters' Worldviews

If you don’t know your character’s worldview, how will you write them realistically without turning them into puppets?

Use our questionnaire to give your characters greater depth.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest