Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    The Writing Falcon
    @millennium

@this-is-not-an-alien

Yes, you can. 😂

Ten million fireflies

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

Oh good, thanks y’all! I probably need to start making use of Google, that wonderful thing that knows definitions for EVERYTHING.

God is great, milk-shakes are good, and people are crazy.

Mischievous Thwapling
      @mischievous-thwapling

@wingiby-iggiby

Lol, I know. I’m clueless when it comes to that stuff 😛 And yes, Google is an amazing thing!

@everyone

Alright, here’s Colma’s backstory:

Her father was the cook for the king in her world, but the monarchs were tyrants, and the kingdom was in poverty thanks to the royal family.  Only the royal family and noblemen flourished while everyone else starved or barely scraped by.  One day she finally decided it was her duty to do something.  She slipped poison into the royal family’s food.  So the king and his wife died, but they had no direct heir to the throne, which threw the kingdom into deeper turmoil because everyone who was in noble/royal class thought they should rule.  So the kingdom was deeply divided as people fought over who should be the next ruler. Life was harder than ever. Finally, the king’s cousin, a ruthless man, killed all the competition, and crowned himself king.  Colma became a fugitive and with a bounty over her head because she had murdered the old royal family.  Her own family, horrified and furious at what she done, threw her out.  She sheltered with her best friend, but he was so desperate he tried to turn her in for the bounty.  To escape, she killed him, too.  So she fled and became an outlaw.  When she had to, she would kill to get food or keep herself from getting turned in.  She hates herself for what’s she done, but a part of her that she hates even more, whispers that she did what she had to to survive.  And then she accidentally found the character castle.  So, yeah that’s where she is now.

If this is too dark or makes anyone uncomfortable, I’ll change it 😉

"A writer is a world trapped in a person. " ~Victor Hugo

Cathy
        @this-is-not-an-alien

oh no that’s not too dark you should see my WIP’s character’s backstory;) I really like it, perfect flare of morbid :D!
          i guess i better make an update

“I’M the Lord of the Caste!”
          Was he serious? Ok, if that’s how it’s going to be Ehud could play along and hopefully ally with Axe Girl who had a really cool ax (like a really cool one:). After all, the moment he ceases to be useful to the big tyrant he’ll probably be gutted in the back.
          “Uh, hey, Lord of the Caste, which way is out?” He couldn’t help himself, he really couldn’t. Dang, his side hurt, it was hard to think properly. Ehud thought he saw Axe Girl almost smirk but he couldn’t be sure (her hand was on the door, haha, lucky her, she could reach the door).
          “The only way you can get out, kiddies, is if you follow my orders exactly.” The big guy boomed
          Ehud remained behind the couch even when the Viking dude sat down in a semi-defenseless position. Ok ok, he bobbed up more curious than ever. Big evil sneer, bad muscles, arrogant mood; this was a super villain they were dealing with, I mean, how awesome was that!? Scary, but awesome. He tried to exchange conspiratorial looks with Axe Girl but she didn’t seem to be buying it.
          “’Scuse me, can I make a suggestio-”
          “You just listen to what I’m saying” Super villains are so snotty. If Ehud ever made it out this would be really cool.
          “-that we search for the kitchen cos I’m starving…and tired but I’m starving mostly.” Plus the kitchen is the best place in the world to make an explosive science experiment or fight with just about any kitchen appliance. And if they started moving there was half a chance they could put some distance between them and the, sigh, Super Villain.
          Ehud gave his most artless, hopeful smile with his big saucer stormy-blue eyes. It usually worked because he always looked helpless. He also couldn’t really see through all his cowlicked, fluffy hair and he was exhausted. If he ever got out of this he was going to take a long long nap.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Mischievous Thwapling
          @mischievous-thwapling

@this-is-not-an-alien

Thank you! I’m glad it isn’t too dark 😀

Nice! Your post was awesome!! Ha, ha, I love how you described Colma; “Axe Girl” that’s hilarious.

Rusted Knight
            @rusted-knight

Allen blew off the man. Anyway, he couldn’t see him. Fey like himself could only be seen by elves, dwarves and a few mixed blood. Flying over to the boy, Allen looked him over. Try as he might, the kid had forgotten to clean the blood off the floor.

How did the healing magic work again? Allen had forgotten. While it was good to know that kind of stuff, that was what medics were for. He knew how to fight and what weapons worked against others. If he got hurt, see a doc. Ah. Now he remembered the lecture.

“To close a stab wound, imagine the cells reattaching along the slice. To heal an arrow wound, remove the arrow and imagine the flesh returning to where it was. Like a jigsaw puzzle. To heal a magic injury, you must understand what hit to properly heal.”

Wait. What would the sergeant think when he didn’t show up tonight? What would be waiting for Allen when he did return? He shivered. Another one on one match would destroy him. It took all six cadets attacking at once to push him to a stalemate. He would have to see about that later. Right now, he had to try at least to heal this wound. Casting the spell, he watched the hole close up, mostly. Kodai was better at magic.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

The Writing Falcon
              @millennium

I’m just going to drop Erin in with you guys. XD

Erin, back to the wall, readied her rifle. She adjusted the settings to stun. That would scare everyone else if she took out one of the group. Not that she was sure how many were in the group around the corner.

The element of surprise was with her. Erin drew a deep breath. It was moments like this she truly appreciated the muscle and claws of Sander. Little hurt him.

No time to think about that, Sander wasn’t here and Erin needed to know her whereabouts, and the fastest way was to ambush the poor, unsuspecting cheerios around the corner.

Erin flung herself around in front of the group, and after taking a millisecond to observe the enemy, she fired her rifle at the person with the most immediate weapon, an axe.

That would keep her out of the way for a few minutes. Erin turned to the others. “I demand to know my location. Is this where Kias Aquaro is holding me?”

Ten million fireflies

Mischievous Thwapling
              @mischievous-thwapling

@millennium

Nice post! I think it’s good that you knocked Colma out because starting tomorrow and lasting all the way until august 16th, I won’t be able to post.  Well, I might be able to pop in once or twice, but most likely not.  So do you guys think you could just have her unconscious the whole time I’m gone?

The Writing Falcon
                @millennium

@mischievous-thwapling

Oh okay, that sounds good. 😂 Clever me. How about everyone else?

Ten million fireflies

Wingiby Iggiby
                @wingiby-iggiby

@mischievous-thwapling

Colma’s back story is great! don’t worry about it being too dark; dark things happen but there’s always light.

@this-is-not-an-alien

I’m over here giggling! 😛

@millennium

Ooo yes, things are going to get good! so glad Erin’s in now!

So let me see: we have an invisible fairy, a crazy kid, an axe-girl, a devious hulking mongrel and a sci-fi captain. How much better could this get?

Wingiby Iggiby
                  @wingiby-iggiby

Ahab sprang out of his seat when the girl with the ax fell to the floor and a femine figure leapt out of the wall. Her face was covered by a clear shield and she was wielding a bulky stick and shouting:

“I demand to know my location! Is this where Kias Aquaro is holding me?”

Ahab blinked while his mind raced. Aquarkiaswho? He slowly sat back down again, although he had a hand ready to reach for his sword or iron-ball. Whatever he did, he needed to remain calm and steady. He couldn’t get mad again, otherwise he’d be rash. Whatever the person held was obviously stunning. He didn’t want to be paralyzed — that would be beyond humiliating. But it would take a strong stun to down him. Whatever he said, he would be careful not to make a big threat. He looked the woman in the eye, and growled,

“I don’t know who you are, missy, but I know who I am. I’m the Lord of this castle and I ask you to lay down your arms. I don’t know who Kias-whatever-his-name is, so I’m afraid I can’t help you with that. But if you make yourself comfortable–” he gestured to a plush easy-chair “–then perhaps we can discuss this like civilized people; unless, of course, you are not a civilized person.”

Mischievous Thwapling
                    @mischievous-thwapling

@wingiby-iggiby

Thanks! I’m glad it wasn’t.  And that is so true! In as close to Artham’s words as I can remember:

“The darkness makes only makes the pin-prick of light brighter.” (That isn’t the exact quote, I would have to look it up, but I’m pretty sure that’s the gist of it.)

And your post was great! We really do need to have them sit and talk like civilized people and less like they’re about to kill each other 😛

Mischievous Thwapling
                      @mischievous-thwapling

And, yes!! How much better could it get when we have all these crazy characters?!

Wingiby Iggiby
                        @wingiby-iggiby

@mischievous-thwapling

Totally! And I LOVE that quote! It is one of his best.

Yeah! I figured Ahab had to do something before they were all dead. Because where would they be then? But I have learned something about him already: he is impulsive when seriously angered or stressed or afraid. Which, actually, will play in a bit toward the end of my book when

Ha ha! Don’t worry I’ll stay mute on that subject 😉

Mischievous Thwapling
                          @mischievous-thwapling

@wingiby-iggiby

It definitely is!

Yes! I mean, we’re here to develop our characters, not kill them! 😛

Oh, Good! For a second I actually thought you were about to tell me the end of your book!  But you’re right; now that you point that out it reminds me when you had him stop and realized he was acting like Saul, all brawn and being impulsive.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 145 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Stop Forgetting to Develop Your Characters' Worldviews

If you don’t know your character’s worldview, how will you write them realistically without turning them into puppets?

Use our questionnaire to give your characters greater depth.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest