fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 2,830 total)
  • Author
    Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

*facepalms*

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @wingiby-iggiby @rusted-knight @millennium @backwardslivewriter @jasmine

"I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell."

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

Ok, cool!! Thanks! I think I’ll join then. The only problem is picking which of my characters needs to learn something the most… 😛

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

Yay! And yes, tell me about it… (Amazing signature, btw)

"I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell."

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

Thanks! It’s on the back of Andrew Peterson’s newest book, Adorning the Dark (it’s really good; you should read it!). 🙂

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@mischievous-thwapling

*starts chanting* Bring in your second character!  Bring in your second character! I’m great with it!

AWESOME! Thanks!

And if you don’t enjoy writing your characters, then they most likely won’t turn out as good. I totally get it 😉 That is why I stopped worrying so much about world-building, bc it was just like a chore, ha ha. It’s more fun to discover things as you go along and branch out that way. And interacting with dragons is gonna be so cool! 😀

Aw, thanks!! I enjoyed writing that silly lullaby XD

Your welcome! And aren’t all lullabies silly, lol? 😛

Oh, and yes; I’m still bringing in Kiark 😉

@jasmine

Yes!! That’s exactly how I feel when ending a series!

And I loved your last post about Brin! Having her return to the castle’s spot and it just being a rock, and hearing the voices…. awesome touch!

@joelle-stone

Yes! You’re joining! And did you draw your profile pic? It’s great!

@everybody (I wish this would actually tag everybody on this topic)

Ok, I’ll work on Kiark’s character outline and then I’ll get him in here. *rubs hands together excitedly*

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@wingiby-iggiby,

I wish!! Nope, I can’t draw within a mile of that well. My illustrater drew her for me; her name is Marina. I’m trying to decide if I want to bring fight-loving Marina, a blind girl named Riure, or a reckless guy named Jistis in. Just from that tad of info, which do you think would fit best for this RP, and the characters we have now?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Joelle Stone.
    Jasmine
    @jasmine

And I loved your last post about Brin! Having her return to the castle’s spot and it just being a rock, and hearing the voices…. awesome touch!

Thanks! I’m still  learning a lot about writing and I think complements\opinions let me know when I’m going in the right direction.

Ok! Now for Gwen *cackles evily at the thought of throwing Gwen into total chaos*

Name: Gwendolyn  (need to think of good middle and last names, any suggestions?)

Hair: Reaches mid-back with side-swept bangs, auburn in color.

Eyes:Emerald green with golden flecks.

Build: slightly tall for her age, lean and strong.

Weakness: cold weather, swimming, and cannot stand being underground.  she loses control out even if she is in a basement … *Gwen steps into room*                                                                          Gwen: “What are you doing?”                                                                 Me: “posting your weakness in Story Embers”                                 *Gwen shoves me from my seat and snatches kindle*

Weakness: Lava.

Me: *snatches kindle back and glares at Gwen*

strengths: moving silently, sharp eyes and ears, *shoves Gwen who is reaching desperately for the kindle* nimble, quick, and agile.

Personality: Brave, and brash (which gets her into some amount of trouble). she isn’t very good at working with others and isn’t very good with animals.

weapon: bow and arrows dipped in something that will knock you unconscious in seconds of you get nicked with an arrow (a very useful technique for capturing prisoners who have useful info) and a sword coated in the same substance.

I will post her back story soon.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Jasmine.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Jasmine.

Beautiful things don't ask for attention

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@jasmine,

Hi! Gwen looks REALLY cool! I can’t wait to see how she reacts to being randomly transported to a castle and stuck with a bunch of other peoples. 😛

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@joelle-stone

You have in illustrater?! So cool! Hmmm…. I think any of them would work; ultimately, though, the deciding factor is which one you think needs the most work. Personally, I think Riure would be a good test for our characters — i.e., how they would react to a blind person as a good character stretch. Actually, any of them would be awesome bc none really need to fit and they sound so fun! In fact, if they don’t fit, it makes it all the better 😉

@jasmine

Your welcome! 😀

Gwen: “What are you doing?”                                                                 Me: “posting your weakness in Story Embers”

LOVE IT! And I agree with Kinnan: can’t wait to see her in action! As for names, I’m just randomly coming up with some that you totally don’t have to use: Gwendolyn Ella Arspris; Gwendolyn Loraine Wolfe; Gwendolyn Wer Klaus. And that arrow/sword poison thing is a great idea!

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@wingiby-iggiby,

Ok, I was leaning towards Riure anyway! 😉 I haven’t written her yet, and I think it’d be nice to get to know her a bit. 😛

@jasmine

Copy what Wing said. 😛

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@joelle-stone

Awesome! I always love getting to know characters better, I’m looking forward to meeting her (I mean I’m looking forward to having Wylo and Kiark meet her 😛 )!

Here is Kiark’s Outline-or-whatever-it’s-called:

Name: Kiarkus Reni

Appearance and Outfit: Kiark has dark blond hair that sticks up between the gold band he wears around his forehead. His eyes are deep blue. He is 5’ 10 ½” and has a sturdy build (he looks a lot like his father, Waynot, except for the fair hair inherited from his mother). The young High-ark is wearing a dark-muddy green short-sleeved shirt; dark brown trousers and boots with gold bands around the ankles; a thick belt with gold clasp; gold shoulder guards, and a red cape connected around his neck with a gold clasp imbedded with a silver arrow-head, the emblem of Banerow. Let’s admit it; he has a fault for gold like every other man 😛

Personality: He likes to throw a joke at people, but often doesn’t take similar jokes from others very well. He is stubborn and stuck-up; often looking-down on his inferiors. It is a trait he will have to overcome if he’s going to be a good ruler. He’s saucy, loves a good fight when the odds are high that he’ll win, and is sincerely devoted to his friends. He carries a fencing sword as his only weapon (partly bc of his pride, and partly bc he loves style), except for his insults and his fists. His father trained him in wrestling, so he’s pretty good at that, and he’s not too bad at sword-play.

Just a Bit of Information to Know: In the time-frame of my story when Kiark enters the castle, he has freed the inhabitants of Forgesswait who were enslaved to forge large silver rings to make a giant sheet of chainmail for the tyrannical Waynot (still wondering how he’ll use that metal sheet). Kiark has chosen a small group of six men and boys as his personal guard and secret service team. Also, at this point he doesn’t know that his uncle Wylo is the reason his father went mad. Wylo went into hiding after the evil twist of his poison, so when Kiark meets him in the character castle, he’s happy to see his lying uncle.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@wingiby-iggiby,

Great characters!!! Kiark sounds SO cool (I bet he and Gwen might clash a little bit…)

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Riure:

Height: 5’3.5”

Weight: 94 lbs.

Hair Color: Sandy brown

Hair Length: A bit past her shoulders

Hair Type: Straight

Eye Color: Hazel

Physical Description: Short, cheerful, with freckles, sandy-blonde hair, hazel-gold eyes. Not especially athletic, but fast. Laughs often, smiles constantly, good storyteller.

Clothing:  Something like this…

Outfit

Weapons: None visible. She’s trained in martial arts like karate, fisticuffs, and wrestling.

Personality Traits: Laughs a lot, peacemaker, gentle and cheerful.

Hobbies: Playing with animals of any kind, telling stories, laughing.

Pet(s): A dog named Sadiq (SA-deek). Border collie, with one glass-blue eye and one green eye.

Greatest Hope: To help as many people as she can become Redeemed (Christians).

Greatest Fear: That her loved ones will never become Redeemed.

So that’s Riure! Anything else y’all want to know?

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

@wingiby-iggiby

Interesting man. I have a question. Is it Kiarkus Reni or yourself that does not know what the metal is for? Call it a pet peeve but I like brain storming.

@jasmine

You need names. Where did I put that list?

Here we are. I’m gonna stick with more Eastern European names as my gut says they’ll work better.

Marya, Piedra, Tanya, Bodine, Wojtek, Sergei, Vronsky, Sanya, Tupolov, Andreas, Aleksandr, Mikhail, Kutuzov, Kahzim, Helmut, Welkin, Jaeger, Wolfert, Klaus, Gustav,

That should be good.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@joelle-stone
    Hey welcome back, can’t wait to meet your characters! You have an illustrator? Sweet! Have you gotta book out yet? What’s your WIP about? Can’t wait to meet your character and your’s @wingiby-iggiby! *sheepishly sinks behind desk getting too excited

@everybody
    Hey what are our characters like around normal people? Maybe there are inhabitants of the castle that the castle invented to feed off their reactions and the people send us ‘heroes’ on missions? Or what if the castle copies a wraith of everybody whose ever been in the castle so like we’d have fake evil Colmas and Brins and Erins and all about?

Rosario assessed each person. Some ‘lookin’ gorgeous’ guy who seemed to have just arrived, a small little fairy flitting around, two magic wizard people fading off into the background. Four in all, six counting herself and Ehud. It was off in her line of work, but Rosario couldn’t read people well. At least not as well as Ehud, so she relied on reading his responses to everyone. Use every tool available, each person right now was a potential asset, but frankly, she was the girl they hired to knock off and disappear people not so much sweet talk them. Rosario had it in her but it wasn’t her favorite mode.
    Without thinking, she grabbed Ehud’s wrist and yanked it out of her pocket. He stared up at her with a poorly concealed hurt look, trying to hide the pack of cigarettes in his hand.
    “I thought you’d–”
    “I can do what I want, yes?” Rosario returned snappishly. She turned his hand over and took back the little box. It was that expression, she could read it all over his face, pulling apart all her emotions, turning them all around like if she blinked he’d catch another million nuances she’d been hiding. Pursing her lips, she tucked the cigars back in her pocket and turned her attention back to formulating a plan.
    “Are you mad at me?” Ehud drooped his head and squeezed his fingers around her hand. It really was impossible to actually pull off lying to him. She let out a breath, dropping her other hand on his head for a moment.
    “Yes, but, esta no importa,” she said “later.”
    Letting her hand fall to her side, she turned away suddenly running her fingers off her thick bangs for a second. Odd, sort of not-feeling crept through her. Rosario was sure she should feel something here but she didn’t. So she lapsed back into the job.
    “Fine, who do I have to kill, carino?” Ehud will never know this, but carino means boyfriend, which was something she liked to pretend.
    “Ahhhhhhhg, why is everything murder for you?!” Dramatically, he buried his head in her shoulder while clutching her arm. She ignores this.
    “How many supplies do you have available?” In reply, Ehud grumbled something incoherent and held up the plastic bag he’d been carrying around. Peering in, Rosario frowned back at him.
    “And you can cook it?”
    “…fldkghekh…”
    “That’s what I thought.” she said. With an exaggerated moan he lifts his chin onto her shoulder theatrically. But it only took him two seconds to bob up with a new thought.
    “I’m hungry.”
    “What’s new?” Rosario quirked an eyebrow at him when he started to rummage through his pockets. Meeting her gaze, Ehud gave a sheepish grin and buried himself into his shoulders.
    “I’m gonna cook it.” He had that mischievous light that automatically made it ten times more likely he’d cause another disaster, so Rosario’s strategy was to rechannel that energy to something more apt.
    “Ai, look, I need you to do something for me, idiota.” This always got his attention, he was always excited to help out and Rosario didn’t give him a lot of opportunity to do that because she greatly valued her autonomy.
    “Yeah?”
    “You know these people a little more than me, yes? Go see who’s a psychopath.” This was useful information because she expected he’d come back with a thorough assessment of everyone here which she in turn could convert to assets and liabilities.
    “Oh…” Ehud looked disappointed but he visibly pushed that aside “oh, I trust the fairy.”
    With that he darted off, seemingly trying to pick who to talk to first. Meantime Rosario glanced around for ‘the fairy’, who was buzzing around the selfsame sloppy attempt at smartness she’d seen in all the newbies in her line of work.
    “Hey you,” she called, catching his attention so she motions him over with her head. Finding a rather large stone off by the pool, Rosario sat down and crossed her legs with a relaxed, easy grace. She didn’t need to impress anybody, in fact it was more fun when they underestimated her. “You can get into some pretty small places without getting noticed, can’t you?”
    She could use some eyes and ears around here, it was certainly something to file away for later. But right now was to turn as many people into allies before they become enemies. Thanks to Ehud, everyone within a ten mile radius knew she was Rosario, his best friend and there was no telling how much else he’d spilled about her already so it’d be best to stay as up front as possible.
    “Rosario de Vera Cruz,” She folded her arms and watched him with a friendly warmth “You?”

Ehud stuffed his hands in his pockets, stifling an impish grin. It was the first time in this entire Lord Castle thing that he actually felt safe. Rosario, the real Rosario, was still alive! He didn’t kill her! Since she had more common sense than him, Ehud felt secure enough he couldn’t possibly get into all that much trouble.
    Everybody else he had sort of a sense of since they’d been around for a bit, but he didn’t know exactly what to make of the new guy who appeared about the same time as Rosario. So Ehud tripped over to him and waved.
    “Hi, I’m Ehud,” he chirped “are you a psychopath?”
    He smiled his most artlessly angelic smile and pretended he had absolutely no idea why he shouldn’t ask that.

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 2,830 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest