fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 2,236 through 2,250 (of 2,553 total)
  • Author
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Avin

The person came into focus. A tall, slim man, younger than himself, dressed in slick, unfamiliar-looking clothing and jewels, surrounded by a fur coat. Avin raided his eyebrows.

There was only a second to see this before the man, who had his head craned around to smile at a woman he apparently knew, slammed into Avin, and stumbled back with a look of surprise.

“Whoops! Didn’t see you there!” He grinned. Avin nodded. “You blend right in, you see,” the man added unconvincingly. He seemed to sense that it wasn’t convincing and changed the subject. “You don’t happen to where we are, do you?”

“I don’t.” Avin answered. “Been wondering myself.” he looked the man over quickly.Everything about him was unfamiliar or a confusion of cultures he knew. Neither Vegadan, Colondite, Kjertan, or even like the tribes of Mendais, though the jewels fit in there. The mysterious Sran Ekkel was the only place he could be from, and the stories he’d heard of it didn’t fit this man.”Where are you from?”

It was a dangerous question, but he didn’t look like a dangerous man. Avin shot a glance at Lorcan, but he was at the other end of the room.

@calidris
      It wasn’t very long, but I don’t know what Kit’s answer would be, and that was the only question I could think of.

Don't cry for me, for I go where music is born ~J.S. Bach

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

*note to self: Do not miss a day writing on this character castle you’ll never catch up…0.0*

Me: *hisses threateningly* You continue treating me like this, and I will make sure you will NEVER get a wife. EVER! Silence. Lorcan: *smirks* A wife? Me: Uh oh. Lorcan: How interesting. Drop what you’re doing right now. It seems we need to have much to talk about. Me: *Smacks my head repeatedly against the floor* Lorcan: Now now, there’s no need to act like that, we are responsible adults after all.

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone who’s had WAYYYY to many of her characters “come out” to her I get this so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ehud is the one I described as having a younger voice… hope you don’t mind, but when you say Ang’s voice from Avatar, that’s what it reminds me of… a high-pitched voice of a younger child… hope that fits…. and not sure if I wrote him at the end in character… fell free to change his reactions to fit his character…  also, wasn’t sure how tall he was, being 16, or if he’s lanky or not, but Ku is really short, so either way, Ehud should probably still tower over her a bit…

Oh yeah that was all pretty in-character! It fits! He’s usually shorter than everybody else so he’ll probably…adopt her on sight and never want to leave her, have fun with that!

I gotta picture of Ehud and OTP Rosario here…

Ok…uh…whewwwwww I’m…here I think?

Ehud scrambled down the tunnel entrance with Ophelia, totally lost but hey follow the other people!

He ended up bumping into a buncha people arguing. Dude who coulda been the male model for a beachside bodybuilder studio, an emo-aesthetic guy who looked coulda been the male love interest in a Gothic romance and a girl who –

“Whoa! Cool green skin!” Ehud blurted, then suddenly caught himself and wondered if that was something you weren’t supposed to say because it might sound like an insult…He reddened a little, but he was still so curious!

She was shorter than him so he flopped onto his knees and grinned sheepishly. The girl had large pointy ears and he just had to touch them. But she swatted his hand away, but she smirked and hid behind the bodybuilder dude. Ehud stared up at the other guy with wide, inquisitive eyes, still super excited.

“She looks like a troll fairy princess!!!” He burst out. Then he scratched the back of his head and opened his mouth to say something but slammed it shut. He was wondering why the dude in nothing but a pair of shorts, but he didn’t really want to ask because said dude was twice his size and dudes twice his size could snap him in half if he was too annoying and that would be hard to explain to Rosario again.

“Were you teleported from a beach, or is there a pool somewhere?” Nix that he can’t shut up. He’ll totally die. He also had the irrepressible urge to poke dude’s muscles because he always wanted to know if they felt as hard and wall-ish as they looked and now he just really wanted to poke them and that would probably be instant death, so he didn’t do it. But he wanted to.

A girl with wicked-cool blue hair walked up to Ophelia and they started talking about ballet after Blue-Hair apologized for yelling at her earlier. And Ehud was lost *read; Ehud’s writer is lost Ehud is just curious and staring at everything outloud.*

I started a new sketchbook recently, and here’s a mildly cursed Kit and fed up Valencia on the front page XD

I love Valencia’s expression like dramatically looking at Kit like “Oh no he’s happy we’re all gonna die!”

Uh… @rose-colored-fancy, @jared-williams @anybody?

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

(Oh “Emo-Aesthetic” was Lorcan…I thought it’d be funny XDDD)

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

I’m gonna drop in another character. Would there be room for two, or are people feeling overwhelmed?

These are the two I’m thinking of:

Anika Litvak

Age 18 or 19. Long blonde-brown hair and hazel brown eyes. She’s currently a slave. Naturally high-spirited, with a sense of justice and good moral compass, but slavery has turned her to a suppressed version of herself, with spirit and anger waiting to bubble over. For those of you who know Quin, she and he want to get together. Pointed nose and fine features, about 5’1″ (155 cm) tall.

OR

Natalya Yuri

Age 18-21 (not sure). Brown hair, nut-brown. Chocolate brown eyes. (darker than Anika’s)

Blunted features, less petite-ly built but a smaller person than Anika. 4’10” (147 cm)

Anika’s best friend and fellow slave (more demeaning position). Loves Quin, but knows he doesn’t love her. Naturally timid and shy, but slavery has turned her manipulative and bitter.

Which would you all be more interested in seeing?

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

It fits! He’s usually shorter than everybody else so he’ll probably…adopt her on sight and never want to leave her, have fun with that!

hahahah! Awesome that you said that, cause I was thinking if Ehud is good with her green skin and isn’t put off by her bugs, Ku might just ask him to marry her. lol. joking only slightly there.

He also had the irrepressible urge to poke dude’s muscles because he always wanted to know if they felt as hard and wall-ish as they looked and now he just really wanted to poke them and that would probably be instant death, so he didn’t do it. But he wanted to.

hahaha! I laughed so hard at Ehud’s reactions! I really like him!

Abirami

Ku’s hand clung to my arm with stars in her eyes. If I didn’t know better, I’d think someone else had body-snatched her. What had gotten into her?

“What’s a troll?” she asked the boy.

I was wondering that too, but fairy princess; that I understood.

I smiled at Ku and nudged her with my elbow. She stomped on my foot. The boy was blushing, and I couldn’t help but live it up. Finally, a chance to give Ku’s self-confidence a boost. Finally someone who wasn’t in any way put off by her being an aelacrin. Perhaps this castle wasn’t all that bad, meeting people from who knows where.

Though, I wondered how this boy would react to Ku’s bugs. His voice was already high-pitched… would it go even higher? I raised an eyebrow, wondering if a guy could sound like a girl if his voice went high enough.

The boy addressed me. “Were you teleported from a beach, or is there a pool somewhere?” His arms swayed in, just slightly, as he leaned forward. He reminded me of my adopted little brother, Setti. Young, innocent, and always on the verge of bouncing off the walls with exuberance.

“Not really a pool, no,” I told him. “I had to leave my garb in the other room after transforming during that emergency.”

The boy tilted his head to the side. His mind, no doubt, whirling around a million miles a second. He opened his mouth, but the words didn’t come out.

Smiling, I offered my hand. “I’m Abirami el Hanniumm, an aygiff. And this is my sister, Ku’Aya, an aelacrin.”

All of a sudden, the words flowed from him like a river. “Good to meet you! I’m Ehud, a human? What’s an aygiff? What did you mean transform? Can you transform into different things? How can this be your sister when she has green skin and you don’t? Hi, Ku’Aya.” His cheeks went rosy again. “What’s an aelacrin? Are there people with other colored skin from where you come from? Like blue skin, or purple skin? Where do you come from? I-”

He clamped a hand over his mouth and took a step back. He opened a space in his fingers long enough to say, “Sorry,” before clamping them shut again over his mouth.

I laughed again, inwardly wishing Setti were here. He would’ve gotten along so well with this boy. Though, Ehud probably would have done a flip in excitement seeing Setti’s wings.

I took a step forward and patted Ehud on the head, like I always did with Setti. I didn’t even realize I was doing it until after I had done it.

Oops. Hope he doesn’t mind.

Stepping back, I tried to rectify it by answering some of his questions. “It seems this… castle… brings people from not just many lands, but many different worlds together. For instance, my world is called Kaphar. I’ve heard some others are from a place called earth?”

“Woah!” Ehud’s eyes bugged out, stepping closer. “You’re not from earth? You mean you’re aliens? Did you have a space ship? Can I see it?”

Ku and I exchanged glances. “What’s a space ship?”

“Oh.” His shoulders slumped as he shifted his gaze toward the ground. “Nevermind.”

Wondering how anyone could pilot a ship in anything outside of a body of water, or if earth had water that somehow floated out in space, I hesitantly moved on. “An aygiff is a race that has the ability to transform into select animals. Aelacrins can control insects.”

Ehud’s mouth dropped open. “You… can… transform into animals?! That is sooo cool! Can I see? What can you do? Can you change into a bird?”

I nodded.

“A dog?”

“Hmm, a wolf.”

Ehud clapped his hands together. “Fish?”

“Yes.”

“Um, an elephant?”

I chuckled. “Yes.”

“What about a skunk?”

“Even a skunk.”

Ehud’s nose wrinkled. “Eww.” Then laughed. “What about a cat?”

“Eh, not really. My dad could change into a jaguar and a cheetah, but I’ve not learned any cats just yet.”

“Oh, so there’s rules to it?”

“Kinda.”

Ehud turned to Ku. “And you, you can control insects? How does that work? Is it only certain types of insects?”

Ku smiled, but she gripped my arm as if she was squeezing oranges. “No, I can talk to any insect I want. And I don’t control them.” She pushed against me. “They’re my friends.”

“Insects don’t live very long on earth. Do you have a lot of funerals. Oh, sorry. That wasn’t very sensitive of me, was it.” He clamped his mouth shut again.

“Actually, I do,” Ku said. “No one’s ever asked me that before.” She let go of my hand and stepped closer to Ehud. “You’re right, they don’t live long, but that’s something I love about them. I can make friends with one, and then I get to see their children’s children for generations on, and be friends with all of them. It’s like living a full life, over and over again.”

I’d never heard Ku speak about her bugs like that. Sadly, that was probably my fault for never having thought to ask.

Ehud nervously put his hands down, as if hesitant to say anything more. “Doesn’t it make you sad?”

Ku shook her head. “Death is a natural part of life. Just something you have to accept.”

Ehud’s eyes shifted back and forth along the ground. The topic seemed to be an awkward one for him.

“What’s your favorite insect?” he asked, a clear and purposeful change in subject.

Ku’s face brightened up as she reached back and released the hair that hung from the back of her mohawk. Opening her hand, she revealed her bawl – a large, roly-poly like insect that she used to hold her hair in a braid.

Ku introduced Shaear, her bawl, and the two continued to talk as I slipped away and walked over to the girl Ehud had previously been walking with.

“Excuse me,” I said with a slight bow, two fingers to my chest. “I apologize, but I couldn’t help but overhear a little bit ago, you two were talking about dancing?”

The two exchanged glances.

“Forgive me,” I offered my hand. “My name is Abirami.”

The one who had been walking with Ehud shot her hand out. “Ophelia.”

The other was more hesitant. “Jade.”

“Um, this might sound strange, but I have a bit of a huge favor to ask? My sister, Ku, her birthday is coming up soon, and-” I looked up at the ceiling and around the room. “-it’s hard to tell the passage of time in here, and I really don’t want to miss it.”

Jade crossed her arms.

“Um, could I ask you to put on a dance for her? She’s never seen anyone dance before. Well, at least not a professional or anything.”

Ophelia looked over at Jade nervously, while Jade leaned back and eyes me suspiciously.

I waved my hands in front of me foolishly, not sure what to do with them. “It’s not really her birthday, but she was abandoned as a baby and grew up on the streets, so we really don’t know what her birthday is. So we’ve been celebrating the day that she was adopted into our family ever since she came to us. You don’t have to do anything special or anything. She hates it when we make a big deal out of it.” I was rambling. Time to shut-up.

The tension in Ophelia’s muscles melted, and the two exchanged glances again.

“What do you think?” whispered Ophelia.

Jade addressed me. “We’ll do it on one condition.”

I twiddled my thumbs nervously. “What condition?”

Jade grinned. “We’ll dance, but only if you participate.”

“You want me to dance?” I asked.

“Really?” Ophelia asked as well.

“Hey, you’re the one asking us for a favor,” Jade said to me. “It’s only fair that you take part in it yourself. Besides-” Jade said, smiling at Ophelia. “he looks like someone who could handle a lift.”

“Um, thank you!” I bowed, two fingers to my chest as a took a step back, then another. “Let me go get my garb, then we can start whenever you wish.”

Turning, I ran toward the door to the room where I had left my robe, my head spinning. Me, dance? Just what had I gotten myself into?!

@e-n-leonard

@this-is-not-an-alien

@rose-colored-fancy

this should be interesting…. hehehe. =)

Hopefully everything is in character, please change anything that isn’t (it still feels strange using other peoples characters in my posts…. fun, but strange-feeling…)

Lol, and if Ehud really isn’t put off by insects, Ku literally just found her first bestie [outside of her strange adopted family]! (yay!) this should be fun =)

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried. ~ G.K.C.

calidris
    @calidris

@emily-waldorf goodness that’s a sad backstory :'(

I think I remember you mentioning that Avin is half Colondite – what’s the story behind that?  Like, why are they so hated at this time?

Also, when you say “Spanish costume” do you mean like what matadors are traditionally shown wearing?  That’s the image that came to mind XD

Kit is extremely fashion conscious, so I want to make sure I give him the right reaction to Avin’s outfit XD

Kit:

“I don’t.  Been wondering myself.”  The man shoots me a skeptical glance, carefully assessing me through ashen gray eyes.  I grin right back at him.

Stunning, right?

I love it when people look at me.  I don’t even care who it is – being stared at is always oh so flattering.  Well that’s not entirely true, since I actually do care to a certain extent.  And by that I mean I would do anything for Valencia to just look me in the eye, just once, just for a few seconds, or maybe even just one.  Just for once.

Ahh well.  Looks like this game won’t be ending any time soon.

”Where are you from?”  I snap back, eyes focusing yet again on this strangely dressed man in front of me

“Hmm?  Oh, me?  I’m from Spire.  And you?”

Good grief Kit just tell her already

Kit: *wails* why won’t she make eye contact with me?

Valencia: vibes in autism

Good luck with that one Kit XD

Also @this-is-not-an-alien I love that Ehud and Rosario art!  Do they have a ship name yet?  Because they should!

*laughs as one fey*

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@calidris
    I’m imagining Avin in something like the guy on the left is wearing. Also the picture above, but without those goofy things on the shoulders. Hope this helps!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jared-williams

Hopefully everything is in character, please change anything that isn’t (it still feels strange using other peoples characters in my posts…. fun, but strange-feeling…)

You did great with Ophelia at least! That opens up a really interesting scenario, I can do some fun things with that!

@emily-waldorf

I get upset, though, because people who use metric seem to have a good grasp on standard/imperial, and not vica versa, so I feel like I’ve got to catch up.

Oh, don’t worry about it XD You know more about metric than I do about fahrenheit so you’re ahead 😀

IKR?! Yes, he ends up happy. Elsa is a good person for him, because she loves him unconditionally.

I love when traumatized characters finally get their happy ending 🥰

Speaking of which, all of you who remember Aydin, I’m delighted to inform you I wrote his last chapter this week, and he gets a happy ending. It made me very emotional to write XD

Which would you all be more interested in seeing?

Awww, folks who know Quin! I actually don’t know, I’d be happy with either, they both sound fun! I’d really like to see Quin’s love interest though!

@calidris

I love it when people look at me.  I don’t even care who it is – being stared at is always oh so flattering.  Well, that’s not entirely true, since I actually do care to a certain extent.  And by that I mean I would do anything for Valencia to just look me in the eye, just once, just for a few seconds, or maybe even just one.  Just for once.

That is the most Kit thing you’ve ever written, he’s a delight XD

Calliope will have to wait a while longer, I think she’s sulking somewhere, since she sure isn’t talking to me XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@emily-waldorf

I don’t think that two more people would be overwhelming though if you decide to pick only one, I think you should choose Natalya Yuri.

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Ophelia

Before Jade could reply, a man came up to us. He was the one who had just disappeared and come back with the green-skinned girl. Wasn’t that his sister?

“Excuse me,” he said with a quick bow, two fingers to my chest. People here were odd, but I did my best to follow suit by doing a quick reverence.

“I apologize, but I couldn’t help but overhear a little bit ago, you two were talking about dancing?”

I nodded, trying to force a smile and pretend this situation was normal. This was just any normal teenager. I was good at pretending, I could pretend he didn’t have pointed ears and mismatched eyes, or that he had recently seemed to disappear into thin air.

“Forgive me,” he offered his hand. “My name is Abirami.”

Jade crossed her arms, apparently unimpressed by him.

It was up to me to be friendly and make sure the situation went well.

I took his hand. His hands were much bigger and harder than mine, as I had expected.

“Ophelia,” I said, with a smile.

“Jade,” she said, much more shortly. She didn’t take his hand.

“Um, this might sound strange, but I have a bit of a huge favor to ask? My sister, Ku, her birthday is coming up soon, and-” He seemed to be doing everything to avoid our gazes. “-it’s hard to tell the passage of time in here, and I really don’t want to miss it.”

Did he want me to check my watch? I was completely lost trying to figure out what he was trying to ask.

“Um, could I ask you to put on a dance for her? She’s never seen anyone dance before. Well, at least not a professional or anything.”

I couldn’t think of anything I wanted less. I didn’t want to suffer under the scrutiny of people who expected something of me. On stage, it was different. Looking from the bright spotlights into the crowd, there were no faces, just an impersonal black mass. It was between me and the music. This was different, and I didn’t want it.

I didn’t want to say no. It was for his little sister. He was trying to be nice. I shot a glance at Jade, who probably didn’t have any compunctions around saying no.

Jade just stared directly at Abirami, who shifted his weight awkwardly and gestured vaguely.

“It’s not really her birthday, but she was abandoned as a baby and grew up on the streets, so we really don’t know what her birthday is. So we’ve been celebrating the day that she was adopted into our family ever since she came to us. You don’t have to do anything special or anything. She hates it when we make a big deal out of it.”

Now I certainly couldn’t say no. But the thought of saying yes made my stomach twist and turn upside down. I wasn’t ready. I wasn’t good enough. I was going to embarrass myself and let down everyone.

“What do you think?” I whispered to Jade. I didn’t know what I wanted her to answer. I felt bad for Abirami and especially Ku. He was just trying to make her feel special.

Jade seemed to make up her mind. I was just relieved I didn’t have to decide.

“We’ll do it on one condition.”

“What condition?” Abirami asked, uncertainly.

Jade grinned, the same wickedly amused grin Athena had when she’d just worked out something. “We’ll dance, but only if you participate.”

I could now think of one thing I wanted less than to dance before these people. That would be to dance before these people with Abirami.

“You want me to dance?” Abirami asked, apparently as thrown off by the idea as I was.

“Hey, you’re the one asking us for a favor,” Jade said, apparently reveling in her control of the situation. “It’s only fair that you take part in it yourself. Besides-” Jade said, shooting me a smile. “he looks like someone who could handle a lift.”

What difference did that make? If it just relied on strength, that wasn’t the least problem, but he had no idea what he was doing. If he put me down clumsily I could twist my ankle, if he got in my way either of us could get injured. I couldn’t get injured now, it was so close to the show. There were a thousand reasons this couldn’t work.

But it wasn’t up to me.

Abirami was already nodding.

“Um, thank you!” he bowed again, stepping back toward the door. “Let me go get my garb, then we can start whenever you wish.”

Jade watched him go with something between amusement and frustration.

“I thought that would dissuade him,” she said, less than thrilled with this development.

Apparently, he was more set on it than either of us had figured.

I sighed and sat down, then pulled out the few pins holding my hair back. I shook it loose, then pulled a comb from my bag and pulled it all back into a tight bun. Thankfully, I always had a ridiculous amount of pins. I pinned the hair net over it, satisfied with the pull at the nape of my neck.

“Do you need pins?” I asked Jade, offering her some of mine. She could take her time getting ready.

Another one of the problems was the floor. It was smooth, too smooth. If I tried dancing on pointe I was going to slip, and I didn’t have anything to roughen the soles of my shoes.

I took off my shoes and dug around in my dance bag. (Yes I know this is slightly incongruent but there’s no other way for me to make it work XD)

I pulled on leg warmers, then my demi-pointes, the soft leather slippers I used when pointe wasn’t necessary. I was not going on pointe on these floors. I couldn’t change completely, but my clothing wasn’t restrictive so I’d be fine.

I stretched my legs ahead of me and started warming up. The routine was so ingrained in me that it barely took a thought, so I dedicated that to worrying.

For example, how was I supposed to handle a performance with two people I didn’t even know? Especially anything involving a partner, and even more especially a partner who had no clue what he was doing.

I brought my right foot up to my left knee, then leaned forward, gripping my left foot and letting out a slow breath. I felt it all along my legs and my back, even though I’d done it dozens of times by this point.

It had taken Malcolm and me weeks before we managed to work together for our pas de deux. And Malcolm was better than I was, probably better than most others in the class.

I had started off star-struck that had somehow been deemed worthy of dancing with him, but that had faded fast. Not in disappointment, but rather the opposite. Malcolm was probably even better than I had thought, but I could keep up with him, although it took everything I had.

Perhaps that was why Malcolm had always been better than I was. He did give everything he had. He worked a little harder, a little longer. He put in more effort than I ever had. I think he loved it a little more than I did too. It was everything to him.

It made me jealous. I wished I could love something so single-mindedly, I wished for the tenfold joy Malcolm seemed to find when something finally went right.

More than jealousy was the drive that I had to keep up. I couldn’t be the person holding him back, so I had to be just as good, or even better.

Malcolm was more critical than I ever was, though he had never once shot me a cutting remark, even when annoyance seemed to radiate off him. All his criticism was directed inward. I knew that feeling too well.

Malcolm wasn’t scared of performances, he wasn’t scared of embarrassing himself. After all, why should he? He didn’t fail at everything, he was always the one in front, not the one falling short every time.

If he could do it, perhaps I would too someday. I would try to keep up with him for just a little longer. And that included today. I got up, carefully feeling for any stiffness I had left. I found it and twisted into a different stretch, wincing as the stiffness pulled. I could handle this. If it went wrong, nobody would ever find out.

I spotted Cal, watching us from a corner, arms crossed.

“Don’t break yourself in half,” Cal said, ironically.

She would tell everyone. She would relish in the chance to embarrass me, to pull me down from whatever pedestal she had put me on.

Now I was more terrified than ever.

That was actually really interesting to write! It was fun to spend more time on Ophelia’s relationship with ballet.

I wasn’t expecting Ophelia to be reluctant to agree. She’s always seemed like something of a show-off to me, who just loves to be in the spotlight. Apparently, that’s not all of it.

Also, Malcolm is another one of my main characters. I love him a lot, I want to try to get him in the castle sometime!

@e-n-leonard

I hope I wrote Jade right!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

ENYDD

Where was everyone getting all their energy? I was exhausted. Finished. Worn out. On the verge of collapsing. And collapse I did. Well, sank to my knees if I want to be more accurate.

I hugged my legs to my chest in an effort to stop my shaking. How was everyone else so calm? You would think that being chased by infuriated, over-protective bugs would turn anyone into a nervous wreck. Apparently, I was wrong.

I closed my eyes. Deep breaths. In. Out. In. Out. I reached for my bag. Holding the stone would help me. My hand met empty air. My eyes flew open. Where was my bag?

I got to my feet and shook out my skirts as if it could be hidden in there. Nothing except the bottle of healing. I slumped to the floor. “Of course, it’s gone! If this place’s goal is to drive to insanity, then it’s succeeding!” I exclaimed hysterically.

Several people glanced at me.

They must think I’m crazy.

Who cares? No one. Not me. They could go on thinking I was insane for all I cared! It didn’t matter. My bag was missing! It had survived five years with me and what now? It was gone. Why? Because of this sick and twisted castle. That’s why. Why on earth was I sent to this forsaken place? To be subject to trials that would be laughable if I weren’t the victim.

I slammed my hand on the ground and then raised it again for a second blow, heedless of the sting.

Stop. Calm down. 

Calm? As if-

Imagine how you must look to these people!

I don’t care.

What about the message you’re sending?

I don’t care.

We’ve worked so hard to get over this! You’re tearing down years of progress!

So, I’m not even allowed to lose my temper now?

This situation does not call for bitterness or anger. We need patience.

Fine. I’ll calm down.

Deep breaths. 

Good thoughts.

In.

Out.

In.

Out. In. Out. In. Out.

I had stopped shaking. I smiled. Rather, I tried to smile. It probably looked like someone had just stretched my mouth across my face.

I grinned at that picture. A real smile this time.

My ears perked up. Dance? For who? Abirami was talking to a tall, cheerful girl and another girl who looked to be the exact opposite.

“It’s not really her birthday, but she was abandoned as a baby and grew up on the streets, so we really don’t know what her birthday is. So, we’ve been celebrating the day that she was adopted into our family ever since she came to us. You don’t have to do anything special or anything. She hates it when we make a big deal out of it,” Abirami continued.

I smiled. He must mean Ku.

“We’ll do it on one condition,” the guarded girl (Jade) said.

“What condition?” Abirami asked warily

This should be interesting.

The girl smirked. “We’ll dance, but only if you participate.”

I burst out laughing. I couldn’t help it! Abirami? Dance? I covered my mouth to contain myself though my body still shook with laughter.

“You want me to dance?” Abirami gasped.

I was nearly convulsing now from the held in amusement.

“Hey, you’re the one asking us for a favor. It’s only fair that you take part in it yourself. Besides, you look like someone who could handle a lift,” the girl stated coolly. She was enjoying this even more than I was.

Abirami stammered out a thank you.

I grinned. I believe Ku was going to find this celebration very enjoyable.

The two girls began stretching. The blonde girl’s eyes were wide as she bent over her legs.

She was nervous, I noted in surprise.

I got up and walked to them. “Hi. I’m Enydd. Is there anything I can do to help you guys get ready?”

@rose-colored-fancy

@e-n-leonard

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

hahahah! Awesome that you said that, cause I was thinking if Ehud is good with her green skin and isn’t put off by her bugs, Ku might just ask him to marry her. lol. joking only slightly there.

LOLOL!!!

Yeah, Ehud would not be put off by bugs I think he’s gotta frog in his pocket rn…XDDDD

*Ehud: I don’t! Me: What’s in your pocket? Ehud: A lizard…and a grandaddy longlegs…and a peeper…maybe a stinkbug…*

Oh my goodness, Ku’s so precious, Ehud would have no clue how to react to that =DDDDDD

hahaha! I laughed so hard at Ehud’s reactions! I really like him!

Lol!

*Of course this author has neverrrrr had that exact same urge every time she sees a buff dude on TV. Be like; Most girls: He looks hot. Me: must poke.* XDDDD

“What’s a troll?” She asked.

“It’s a green warrior guardian of bridges the swamps and they ask riddles and if you fail them they eat you.” Ehud said, a-matter-of-factly, as if trolls actually existed in his world. (He actually really loved cryptid stories and conspiracy theories and was always looking for evidence for them)

The buff dude poked the girl with his elbow kinda like how Rosario pokes Ehud sometimes. She stomped his foot and Ehud died trying not to laugh hysterically.

He had to ask though.

“Were you teleported form a beach, or is there a pool somewhere?”

“Not really a pool, no,” He said “I had to leave my garb in the other room after transforming during that emergency.”

Ehud hadn’t expected the dude to be nice to him, most people kinda just blew him off or got annoyed. So he didn’t really know how to respond and he felt more awkward and nervous than ever.

“I’m Abirami el Hanniumm, an aygiff. And this I my sister, Ku-Aya, an aelacri-“

“Good to meet you! I’m Ehud, a human?” He blurted, then realized he’d interrupted he was so nervous.

He meant to apologize but he didn’t know what to say and instead what came out was:

“What’s an aygiff? You can transform? Can you turn into different animals? Did you adopt each other coz your parents abandoned you? I mean-! Are you both biological siblings, can ay…” He already forgot the names of the different races…He could feel his cheeks burning, he bit the corner of his jacket trying to get himself to shut up but he talked even more when he was nervous and he really really didn’t want to get rejected before he’d even had a chance coz he’d said something wrong and he also had a bunch more questions already.

“Are there people with other colored skin from your world? Like blue skin, or purple skin? Where do you come from? And-“ He covered his mouth with the back of his sleeve and shoved his other hand in his pocket, ducking between his shoulders. “Sorry, I talk a lot…” He mumbled sheepishly.

He chewed the corner of his sleeve and turned an even deeper shade of red. Nobody liked the ADHD kid who couldn’t sit still or shut up in class and was always getting in trouble and was a big crybaby to everybody.

The man laughed and ruffled his hair. Ehud froze mid-fidget, nobody did that except his brother and Rosario. And his dad before…that…It felt really warm. Did that mean they were friends? He-

Abirami lifted his hand kinda awkwardly and Ehud almost made a motion to grab his hand and set it on his head again but he was too overloaded with new everything.

“It seems this…castle…bring people from not just many lands, but many different worlds together. For instance, my world is called Kaphar. I’ve heard some others are from a place called earth?”

Ehud was still kinda stuck on the unexpected touch, he rubbed his head, opened his mouth to say something, overprocessing everything a million miles a second. Last time somebody had mentioned something about his ADHD they’d called it like overstimulation or something. He either talked endlessly or went completely nonverbal when that happened. He didn’t want to go nonverbal and come off as rude or like he didn’t want to be touched he really did he just didn’t know how to react.

Wait, what had he been saying?

“Ohhhh! It did that last time too!! I think…” Actually it still felt like a dream, last time he was hear, he only remember parts of it, maybe he was wrong? “I’m from Anakara! Are you real-life aliens?! Do you have a spaceship? Can I see it?”

Ku-aya and Abir…something, drats he’d lost his name too! – exchanged looks. He probably sounded like an idiot. It was a stupid question, they were from different worlds but teleported magically so it was more likely they’d be from a medieval world, right? Actually…yeah his head was spinning in circles now.

“What’s a space ship?”

“It’s a…” Was he supposed to explain it with magic or tech or…well spaceships didn’t actually exist, a buncha people were trying to invent them but it was kinda crazy…like his crazy conspiracy theories everybody laughed at. “Nevermind.”

“An aygiff is a race that has the ability to transform into select animals. Aelacrins can control insects.”

“So you can…turn into animals!?!?! That’s soooo cool! Can I see? What can you do? Can you change into a bird?”

He nodded.

“A dog?”

“Hmm, a wolf.” A were-bird-wolf! No…that didn’t sound right. Aygiff, it was called aygiff, he’s gotta actually remember that. Abirami! That was his name!

“A fish?”

“Yes.” Whoa! That meant he could do land, air and sea animals!!

“Um, an elephant?” Could he turn bigger and smaller too?

Abirami chuckled. “Yes.”

“What about a skunk?” Ehud asked.

“Even a skunk.”

“They smell awful.” Ehud said, wrinkling his nose. He’d tried to pet one before. Which was kinda funny, he’d tried to hide it but Rosario and Enoch laughed so hard when they figured out and laughed too.

Wait.

Did that mean all the animals he talked to might have actually understood him.

That meant he was in trouble, he usually vented to stray cats…

“What about a cat?”

“Ehu, not really.” Whewww, that was a relief. “My dad could change into a jaguar and a cheetah, but I’ve not learned any cats just yet.”

“Oh, so there’s rules to it?”

“Kinda.” That was cool! But he also wanted to know about Ku-aya’s powers!

“And you, you can control bugs? How’s that work? Is it just certain types of bugs?”

The girl smiled, looking kinda shy though and pushing closer against her brother. “No, I can talk to any insect I want. And I don’t control them. They’re my friends.”

“Oh,” he said “bugs don’t live very long usually. Do you have a lot of funerals? Ah sorry! I mean-…”

He dug his hands into his pockets sheepishly.

“Actually, I do,” She said. “No one’s ever asked me that before.”

She stepped closer to Ehud and farther away from her brother. Ehud felt like he’d just been publicly awarded a metal of honor by the queen of…somewhere really cool. Actually, being liked by a kid is way better than that, there are no words to describe it.

“You’re right, they don’t live long, but that’s something I love about them. I can make friends with one, and then I get to see their children’s children for generations on, and be friends with all of them. It’s like living a full life, over and over again.”

He couldn’t imagine losing Rosy and Enoch, they were his only family, he wouldn’t know the first thing to do without them. He didn’t want to lose anybody else, he just wanted a family.

“But…doesn’t it make you sad?” He asked, he cried whenever a lizard died. But she shook her head.

“Death is a natural part of life. Just something you have to accept.”

“Oh…” He said, and shifted from foot to foot. “Oh, what’s your favorite bug?”

Ku-aya brightened and she pulled a hairpin from the back of her mohawk. No it was a bug, that was so cool!!!! She opened her hand and show him a giant roly-poly. He used to make sandcastles for roly-polys!

“This is Shaear.” She said and smiled up at him.

“That’s so cool! Are they a boy or a girl?” He ask, gently touching it’s plated skin. “Oh some bugs change gender while they’re growing up…but I can’t remember which ones…”

He scratched the back of his head, and then stuffed on his hands deeper in his pocket. His fingers poked against something that moved. “Oh! What do grandaddy’s eat?”

He exclaimed, pulling a grandaddy out of his pocket…he wasn’t exactly sure how it got there but he might’ve caught it and then forgotten about it. He hoped bugs didn’t mind that…

“What’s Shaear eat? What do you do if bugs eat other bugs and you like both bugs…??”

@jared-williams

Jade addressed me. “We’ll do it on one condition.” I twiddled my thumbs nervously. “What condition?” Jade grinned. “We’ll dance, but only if you participate.”

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS I GOTTA SEE!!!!!!!!!

*cough cough*

This should be good XDDD

Hopefully everything is in character, please change anything that isn’t (it still feels strange using other peoples characters in my posts…. fun, but strange-feeling…) Lol, and if Ehud really isn’t put off by insects, Ku literally just found her first bestie [outside of her strange adopted family]! (yay!) this should be fun =)

IKR!?!?! It’s like getting permission to play with friends’ favorite toys! It’s fun and you also really don’t wanna mess them up!

Same with Ehudddd!! He was raised on the streets by his brother and his best friend/crush/girl-he-randomly-adopted-before-she-could-kill-herself…

He also has a LOT of abandonment issues XDDDD

I love that Ehud and Rosario art!  Do they have a ship name yet?  Because they should!

Thanks so much!!!

Actually

I’ve

never

named

my favorite ships before…

I always just assumed that was something the fandom would do when I become a bestseller with all my favorite actors playing my characters when it becomes a horribly inaccurate movie once the web-comic script I’m writing magically writes itself after I procrastinate it to death…

Lol, uh…idk Rosehud? Idk…I’ve literally never named a ship before; mine or other authors’ 😂

I’m imagining Avin in something like the guy on the left is wearing. Also the picture above, but without those goofy things on the shoulders. Hope this helps!

I swear that looks like Zorro…

@inkhorn

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH POOR ENYDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@this-is-not-an-alien

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH POOR ENYDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear that nothing that just happened is my doing! Enydd was the one who decided to have a dark-not-so-dark side to her!!! I only meant for her to be happy-go-lucky and all smiles and innocence! *points accusing finger at Enydd* She brought this upon herself! *sigh* XD

Also, I must just say this: EHUD IS AN AMAZING CHARACTER! He’s the guy that everyone immediately wants to adopt into their family. XD

Sidenote: I now want bows like the ones Rosario has in her hair. 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@inkhorn

Calliope

The girl was laughing over the prospect of Abirami having to dance. I couldn’t hide a wicked grin myself. At least this was going to be funny.

Ophelia bent over her leg splayed back, as though her spine was made of rubber and her bones of elastic. I shuddered. Even seeing her do it made me uncomfortable. It looked so unnatural, that she could move like that.

I smiled to myself as I pulled my jacket closer around me. Perhaps she wasn’t made of porcelain or plastic but of rubber. The falseness was certainly still there.

“Hi. I’m Enydd. Is there anything I can do to help you guys get ready?” The girl said, walking over to Ophelia and Jade.

Ophelia instantly flashed her one of her dazzlingly bright fake smiles, which was not in the least marred by the fact that she was practically upside-down.

“I’m Ophelia! Thanks for offering, I think I’ll be alright,” she said, with a quick laugh.

She straightened herself out and took off her jewelry, putting it in her bag.

With her perfect curls relegated to a bun and no longer wearing her sparkling pearl jewelry or too-elegant shoes, she barely looked like herself. I had never seen Ophelia dance before.

I leaned against the wall, watching her as she got up. She planted one palm against the wall and started… well… I supposed it should be dancing. It was probably some kind of warm-up still. Quick, precise motions of her feet, to the front, the side, the back. It looked so robotic. The tapping of her shoe against the floor sounded like clockwork, like the machinery of the perfect porcelain doll she was.

It was almost more unsettling than the way she seemed able to stretch a little too far.

Wait, I had seen her dance before. Once.

I seldom passed through the dance wing of the college. I only used it for shortcuts now and then.

The studio they usually used for ballet had windows that appeared to be reflective from the inside but allowed people to see in and watch. I usually didn’t stop. I knew nothing about it and had no interest in learning.

Just once, something had seemed to draw me to watch. Just a brief look, then I couldn’t look away.

Most of the dancers circled the edges of the room, but two were in the center. A slim girl with golden hair and a tall boy with dark skin. They were the only ones dancing. I recognized Ophelia from seeing her with Athena, and I knew the other must be Malcolm. It couldn’t be anyone else. I had heard of him.

I barely registered Ophelia. Malcolm didn’t demand attention, but it seemed to draw to him, like a magnet. I couldn’t quite look away.

Ophelia flitted around him like a butterfly, a bright distraction that seemed barely more than an annoyance.

It looked as though the music were following him, instead of the other way around. It was faint, the low tones seeping into the floor, more of a feeling than a sound.

His movements weren’t like Ophelias now, precise and mechanical. They were sweeping, flowing like water from one into the other with seemingly no thought or effort. It gave me goosebumps.

It gave me the same feeling as when I had seen a heron rise from the water, the wings beating the rhythm of a heartbeat. I had almost been able to feel the cold breath of its wings cut through my bones.

They swept into an ending position, and stood, frozen, like a painting. Then the spell was broken. They relaxed, the other dancers got up, started talking.

I didn’t know whether I was angry it was over or angry I had stopped to look in the first place.

The one thing I remembered clearest of that occasion was their expressions. Ophelia had looked concentrated, almost stern for her doing, but Malcolm had been smiling, almost grinning in pure delight. It was such a contrast to the careful control of his movements that it had stuck with me.

Ophelia was different now. She had that same concentrated look again, the plastic smiles gone. Now a mechanical doll instead of a porcelain one.

The motions looked so practiced they almost seemed involuntary.

Then something shifted. A quick frown, a flash of annoyance, the first I’d seen from her. She corrected something, a slight change of the angle of her leg, then kept going.

Something about the frown, the correction, made her suddenly seem human, a girl of flesh and bone instead of wire, gears, and porcelain outsides. Ophelia had always seemed fake to me, but this time, there were no pretenses. She had practically forgotten we were here. I had never thought I’d see a glimpse of the real Ophelia.

I frowned, but she seemed not to notice me in the least. Everything seemed to have disappeared around her.

The real question now was, why was she so determined to hide her real self beneath layers of falseness? I didn’t think I’d ever understand that girl.

I had another idea and I had to post it really quick XD

I feel so bad for Ophelia, even as the writer who planned all of this 😭 It makes me sad to see how she’s the POV character but plays the side character in everyone else’s story.

Also it makes me happy every time I get to write about Malcolm 🥰

Viewing 15 posts - 2,236 through 2,250 (of 2,553 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest