fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 2,221 through 2,235 (of 2,553 total)
  • Author
    calidris
    @calidris

@emily-waldorf I would love that!  Remind me, what’s Avin like again?

I think I’m going to have Kit interact with him!  I’ve never written from his POV before, so it might take a while to get used to

Also I’m not entirely sure I *want* to know what Kit’s POV sounds like – like I do, but as a character, he’s rather *cursed* and just mildly problematic.  He’s fun though, so I’m looking forward to it XD

*laughs as one fey*

calidris
    @calidris

I started a new sketchbook recently, and here’s a mildly cursed Kit and fed up Valencia on the front page XD

*laughs as one fey*

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

Umm this is class?!😂😍 sorry but Lorcan puffing up his chest had me in hysterics. That is like so him🤣

@jared-williams
    @emily-waldorf you did him so well like, I’m loving his interactions! When he blocked Avin (that was Avin right? I am getting so lost here) from leaving and then he’s all like “we can’t trust her she released the bugs” I mean YESSS😃 that is so him

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@calidris Okay! Avin is medium  to tall (6 ft., maybe. 5’8″, something like that). He has muddy brown hair that is shoulder length and kept out of the way. (I NEVER think of him like this, lol.) He is strong and lithe, and very quick/quiet, since he’s expert in all things woodcraft. He has a chiseled, brown-tanned face with high cheekbones. Stone-gray eyes.

He has scars laced ALL over his back which he obviously doesn’t show, but they curl up around the right side of his neck/cheek.

He can completely mask his feelings, has crazy-good perception for a guy, and is very sensitive, though tougher than all get-out, because he’s had to be. He came from rotten garbage (slang for the worst orphanage in writing history) and has been falsely imprisoned once. Now he’s a duke and married to the princess. He’s also a halfbreed, which nobody knows, but he’s very sensitive about anyway. One of the most compassionate  people you’ll ever meet, but okay with tough love. (and you say his name AY-vin (as in Hay, but without the “h”).

What does Kit look like? And is that a nickname?

this is totally class. XD YES! I’m glad you liked it. He was blocking Abirami from getting out, and Avin was kind of arguing with him because he realized that Abirami needed to get out. Yeah, we were all lost a little bit ago–partly my fault–so hopefully we’re getting on track. Would a run-down of the situation help?

Don't cry for me, for I go where music is born ~J.S. Bach

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@Calidris, IDK where you’re from. That would be 177 cm or 182 cm. (He’s 5’10” or 6′)

( @rose-colored-fancy  did I get it right this time? I’m obsessed with trying to achieve a basic ability to communicate via the metric system. XD Also…I just noticed that in your tag “colored” isn’t spelled with a “u”. Do you spell it “colored” or “coloured” in the Netherlands?)

@e-n-leonard
    I love Isaias! Can’t wait to meet him. <3

Neasa

@emily-waldorf

I think I’m caught up for now? I will admit it is dizzying keeping up with who’s who and what not

Also – Lorcan being thrown???!!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’m sorry I can’t – losing my sanity over here just imagining it😂😂😂

Neasa

Lorcan

Getting thrown onto the wall was never on Lorcan’s to-do list. Then again, neither was getting chased by swarms of insects. Or getting stuck in a cave with a bunch of people he – just despised.

Lorcan inwardly flinched. That was probably harsh. But at this rate he was sick to teeth of all their faces. He just wanted to leave this place forever.

Even so, he didn’t regret putting up a fight when that man almost endangered the whole group by leaving their sanctuary.

Neither did he hesitated to pull out one blade when the man and the green-skinned girl appeared. The ones responsible for this particular mess.

“Don’t,” Avin told him. Lorcan glared at the girl. “That bug swarm was her fault. Maybe I was just imagining it, but I seem to remember it almost got people killed.” His brutal sarcasm was evident in his tone.

“So?” Avin gave a small smile to the girl, who looked between him and Lorcan with wide frightened eyes. Then she stepped out and bowed low. “I’m sorry for the trouble I caused.”

Her humility shocked Lorcan probably more than it should have. Slowly he lowered his blade, but didn’t keep his suspicious gaze off of her.

Maybe she was mostly harmless and lost control of her abilities. A common occurrence. Still – she was one to keep an eye on.

Also that guy and the green-skinned girl were siblings? Lorcan didn’t even want to think about how that was at all possible.

“Thank you good sir for protecting us from danger,” the voice Lorcan despised almost as much as Liorah’s sounded. “We would pretty much be lost without you. Like – bug-infested corpse lost!”

Lorcan bit back a snarl. Now was not the time to lose his temper with Daire. He just gave a grunt and turned away.

To no one’s surprise, Daire didn’t get the hint.

“May I touch your sword?” His smile was so innocent and wide it was ridiculous.

“No you may not,” Lorcan snapped and moved away. Daire followed. “Oh please. I promise I won’t hurt it. I’ll be extra careful with it. After all, it is practically a legend by itself.”

Was this fella for real? Lorcan turned to him, eyes stormy. “We’re all cold. Go start a fire.”

Daire’s eyes widened with joy. “Why with – with pleasure!” He bounced away, and Lorcan sighed heavily. He looked over at the green-skinned girl, who was now talking to some other people. He still had a bad feeling about letting her stay. He definitely wasn’t joking when he brandished his blade. And he was prepared to use it if necessary.

No one else was going to die on his watch.

@everyone I wasn’t sure who Lorcan should talk to next so one of you take it from here 🙂

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@irishcelticredflowercrown I know! And then people keep popping in and out and there’s new users and things get swirly. XD XD

I bet he’s either in a corner upon his dignity, or shouting at you. (Which isn’t fair, ’cause it’s not your fault.) That was Mr. Trip Williams’s Abirami that threw Lorcan. He’s fond of racing in, saving somebody, and wondering if they’ll hate him afterwards. 😀 😀

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@e-n-leonard

I’m not certain if that’s how Ophelia would react, so just let me know how I did. Change whatever you like 🙂

You did great! That’s really close for her! She’s definitely the ‘forgive and forget’ type person. Rather a bit too much… XD

I love how you portrayed her! It made me happy to read that she’s coming across as I want her to! 😀

Ophelia

So the new girl was Abirami’s sister? Alright, she seemed nice enough! The bugs were unfortunate but it was over now, and I was sure it wasn’t her fault. It hurt if people were mad at you for things you couldn’t control.

I made a point of giving her an extra smile.

“Um, excuse me, Ophelia?”

Jade popped up next to me, seemingly out of nowhere. It was a little harder to smile at her. She hadn’t seemed to like me over much. I gripped the strap of my purse, my thumb rubbing over a seam anxiously.

“Yes?” I said, expecting anything. I hoped she didn’t see me as a rival. I hated rivalries, they usually ended up destructive.

“Well, I was rather too harsh back when those bugs came out. I’m — sorry,” she said, clearly struggling with the apology.

I took half a step back and laughed, the nerves shooting through it. Why was she apologizing to me? What was the point of that? I wasn’t mad at her. Yes, the words had rather stung, but that was just how it was. I had gotten in her way, so I deserved any sharp words that came my way.

“Oh, don’t apologize, those bugs made me nervous too,” I said, almost apologetically. Why was I apologizing? How many times could I use that word?

Rosemary shot me a smile and left.

“You’re a dancer, too, right?” Jade asked, awkwardly.

I nodded so enthusiastically that my curls bounced around and into my face.

“You’re one too! I couldn’t help but notice,” I said, with a laugh, gesturing to how she was standing.

“Uh, yes. I suppose I’ve practiced so much it’s stuck,” Jade said and laughed. I instantly joined in, the suddenness of it surprised me. Just a minute ago, she’d seemed to despise me, now she was trying to make friends. I’d make sure she wouldn’t start disliking me again.

“I go to a ballet academy. Do you?” I asked, eager to find some common ground or anything to make the conversation go well.

“No, but I’m in the Haven’s dance program, and I practiced all summer to keep my spot… well, I did when I wasn’t helping out at the fish farm.”

I clasped my hands, almost bouncing on the balls of my feet from excitement.

“That must be lovely! I don’t know how I got into the class, I don’t know how I stayed,” I said, with a self-deprecating laugh.

I practiced endlessly, I showed up to every class, even if it was a little late, I tried every day, I tried as hard as I could, but every day it felt like it wasn’t enough like I’d never be able to live up to the others, to what I should or could be like I didn’t deserve to get this far.

_______

The longer I write Ophelia the more of her messed-up worldview is on full display. I don’t know if I should be proud or ashamed XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

haha. I’m glad you liked it! I thought you might get a kick out of him being thrown. Lol. When I wrote it, scenes from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen were flashing through my head.  I’m glad I didn’t write anything out of character for him.

He’s fond of racing in, saving somebody, and wondering if they’ll hate him afterwards

ROFL! Hahahaha! That’s so true! Oh, that’s sad. He does seem to jump first, think twice.

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried. ~ G.K.C.

calidris
    @calidris

@emily-waldorf I’m honestly so concerned for Avin – like wHERE DID THOSE SCARS COME FROM :'(

He’s very intriguing!  Of course these are probably major spoilers, but I’m curious about his backstory and subsequent rise to power XD

Oh boy here we go

Kit is tall (6’0″) and rather thin.  He’s East Asian, with tan skin and dark hair styled in an undercut – the top portion is dyed pastel pink (his favorite color, apparently.)  He always has multiple articles of jewelry at any given time – mostly in the form of pierced ears and shiny rings.  Right now, he’s wearing a black turtleneck and slim trousers, with patent leather boots and his signature fur coat.

In stark contrast to Valencia, Kit is an extreme extrovert and thrives off of attention.  He’s extremely socially aware and has a mischievous streak – I’m not sure how much this will come out in the castle, but he’s extremely prone to getting caught up in elaborate social games (of which Valencia has no knowledge or understanding – which is why their relationship has barely progressed further than the “I-guess-I-no-longer-hate-you” stage XD)

His hobbies include cooking, menacing the general public (intentional), and pushing Valencia’s buttons (mostly unintentional – also very likely responsible for the “unrequited” in “unrequited love”:’)

*laughs as one fey*

calidris
    @calidris

Kit:

What the blazes?

Before I know it, Valencia’s off in a corner and my coat is roughly shoved between my arms and my gut.

Alright then.

I know by now that approaching her will only make everything worse.  Guess we’ll just have to talk it over later.  If I said something that made her uncomfortable, I’d want to know, but if she’s just annoyed…well that’s her problem, not mine.

Actually…

I’m pretty sure it’s a me issue, isn’t it?

I think it is.  And a people issue, and a dragged-across-a-cliff-issue too.

But mostly a me issue.

I carefully slip the fur around my shoulders, throwing back another look at her.  She looks might be on the verge of tears, and right now I’m completely powerless to help.  Something about seeing her so upset makes me feel so incredibly small.  I’m not sure I completely get what she’s feeling right now, but I hate seeing her in this kind of pain.  Because I’m pretty sure that’s what it is – as hard as it is for me to understand.

I crane my neck as I walk away, smiling back at her as she slowly lifts her crumbled gaze.  Her face softens a little.  As I turn away, her eyes quickly dart away from mine, a soft pink flush spreading across her cheeks-

Woah woah woah was that-

I stumble back as I suddenly ram into a solid figure at my right.

“Whoops!  Didn’t see you there!”  I tilt my head as the man pulls back, and grin.  “You blend right in, you see.”  It’s true – well I mean not really, but kind of.  He kind of looked like a giant rock out of the corner of my eye, anyways.  “You don’t happen to where we are, do you?”

I’m actually kind of surprised, this was unexpectedly sweet and unproblematic coming from Kit

@emily-waldorf
    is Avin wearing fancy clothes?  For some reason I imagine him wearing regency era clothes XD

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by calidris.

*laughs as one fey*

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@calidris Oh, Kit sounds like quite the character! I’ll bet he can be fun to write with Valencia.

Avin will be fine. XD I’ll make him be fine–I can do that, you know: the great thing about being a writer. I love talking about Avin, and you’ll probably never read his story anyway so I don’t mind telling it:

He was orphaned at 8, and his parents left behind big debts that it fell to him to pay. He was sent to a work orphanage which meant that he had to work for his bread and board there, as well as work to pay back the creditor. If he didn’t get his quota done at the orphanage, there were consequences (That’s where he got most of the scars).

He escaped when he was 12 or 16 and lived in the woods, hence the exceptional woodcraft. At 27, he overheard the Regent making plans to kidnap the crown prince so that he could be the king, and the Regent found out and imprisoned him. Through a series of events, Elsa, the princess, asked Avin to help, and he eventually agreed and went looking for the kidnapped prince. They found him, he became king, and Avin was given a duchy. Asked for Elsa’s hand, which she gave him.

He’s probably in nice clothes. What I’m imagining him in and what he should be in are vastly different: he should be in some sort of doublet and hose situation, but I keep thinking of him in the Spanish costume. (loose trousers,  shirt, and embroidered jacket.)

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

did I get it right this time? I’m obsessed with trying to achieve a basic ability to communicate via the metric system. XD

You nailed it! And don’t worry, metric to imperial is pretty loose, I would usually just say 6′ is about 180 cm and 5’10” is about 175. That isn’t completely accurate but it’s the way everyone measures it, so a cm up or down doesn’t make the least difference XD

Also…I just noticed that in your tag “colored” isn’t spelled with a “u”. Do you spell it “colored” or “coloured” in the Netherlands?

Whether I spell British or American is solely up to autocorrect and muscle memory XD There’s neither rhyme nor reason to it, so I say “gray” but “colored”. I never really think about it XD I think I learned the British way but hanging around with Americans got me to unconsciously adopt the other way XD

Also, poor Avin!! That’s such a traumatic backstory, I’m glad he got his happy ending!

he should be in some sort of doublet and hose situation, but I keep thinking of him in the Spanish costume. (loose trousers,  shirt, and embroidered jacket.)

I’m delighted to inform you that the slightly ridiculous trousers were also common in other parts of Europe around the early renaissance and late medieval times, especially in combat training situations. He could definitely plausibly wear that, and there was a lot of fashion migration over Europe, so it isn’t implausible!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

You nailed it! And don’t worry, metric to imperial is pretty loose, I would usually just say 6′ is about 180 cm and 5’10” is about 175. That isn’t completely accurate but it’s the way everyone measures it, so a cm up or down doesn’t make the least difference XD

I get upset, though, because people who use metric seem to have a good grasp on standard/imperial, and not vica versa, so I feel like I’ve got to catch up. 🙂

Whether I spell British or American is solely up to autocorrect and muscle memory XD There’s neither rhyme nor reason to it, so I say “gray” but “colored”. I never really think about it XD I think I learned the British way but hanging around with Americans got me to unconsciously adopt the other way XD

That makes sense!

Also, poor Avin!! That’s such a traumatic backstory, I’m glad he got his happy ending!

IKR?! Yes, he ends up happy. Elsa is a good person for him, because she loves him unconditionally.

I’m delighted to inform you that the slightly ridiculous trousers were also common in other parts of Europe around the early renaissance and late medieval times, especially in combat training situations. He could definitely plausibly wear that, and there was a lot of fashion migration over Europe, so it isn’t implausible!

Ha! ah-HA! Hooray! The picture or Avin in hose is not working.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,221 through 2,235 (of 2,553 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest