fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 2,206 through 2,220 (of 2,553 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@emily-waldorf

Haha, thanks!! He’s one of my favorite POVs to write he’s just so adorable!

I’m hoping to start writing his comic sometime soon this year, I have a newsletter for it but I am not a reliable updater XDDD

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Ophelia

“No problem! I can change my dreams!!” The boy blurted. He had a sheepish, awkward grin.

He tilted his head like an inquisitive bird and added,

“Well…I can change where I go in dreams like when dreams have like this plotted out path you’re supposed to go but I can go anywhere I want!! But if I try to change too much I wake up… I’m Ehud!” He said, practically all in one breath.

He shook my hand, I was pretty sure there was some kind of grease on his, but I didn’t particularly care. I smiled back. I couldn’t help liking him, he wasn’t prim and judgemental like Cal. She scared me a little. Okay, more than a little. She made me feel as though I was constantly doing something wrong.

“What’d you say your name was again?” he asked, sheepishly.

I grinned. I knew that feeling when you missed someone’s name the first time and was then too scared to ask again.

“Ophelia,” I replied.

“Oh like Shakespeare?!” Ehud said, delighted with his own memory.

I clasped my hands and grinned so wide it hurt.

“Exactly! I rather like the other Ophelia, or at least, I like her role! I’d love to play it one day if there was ever a ballet. She went mad and drowned herself, that must be delightful to play,” I said, with a dramatic sweep of my hand.

Ehud was grinning and bouncing on the balls of his feet.

My smile faltered. I had seen parts of the play and I knew the story, but I’d never finished reading Hamlet.

I’d tried, but in class, my already barely passing grades had plummeted. I just couldn’t get through it, no matter how much I wanted to. When there were pages upon pages of complicated language I had to wrestle through, I took so much longer than everyone else. And when the tests came I couldn’t remember enough of it, and I’d forgotten to turn in my essay on time. It hadn’t even been good.

I should have done better. I should have tried harder. Nobody else thought it was hard, why did I?

I plastered the smile back on my face. I didn’t want Ehud to think I wasn’t happy I had met him. I was, it wasn’t quite as lonely anymore.

“Hey, Cloud-cuckoo-landers, move!” Cal yelled at us. (I discovered that phrase as a way to describe characters who are in their own world and I love it so much XD)

I looked up, then drew back, hurriedly. The insects were eating through the door and crawling beneath it.

“Move where?” I asked, trying to catch up to what was happening.

“The tunnel entrance,” Cal snapped at me, the conviction that I was incredibly stupid dripping off every word.

I spun around and started in one direction. I had no idea what tunnel entrance she meant but I couldn’t afford to look even sillier.

Ehud grabbed my arm and pulled me along, in a different direction. I was starting to feel like a rag doll.

He pulled me into the dimness of a tunnel, where the others must have gone ahead. Maybe we would be able to escape the insects here.

________

@anyone take it from here! Idk what they find in the tunnel, but I thought it might be fun to let them meet up with Abirami, Avin, and Enydd eventually!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

I think I altered something from your original post.

oomph…. yeah. Lol. Abirami saved you guys. lol… so, my post, I was shooting ice at the bugs to keep them at bay, then I transformed into a large worm, swallowed you guys up in the water and then transported you safely into the room everyone else was and spat you out, froze the hole I had made in the wall closed so the insects couldn’t get in, then collapsed… lol. Unless you can think of a great reason why I froze the water (because I can’t…) it would be rather out of character…. lol. But, I can have you save Abirami… in a previous Castle escapade, (an easter event. =p ) Abirami received an elixir that can fully heal someone, even if they are on the brink of death. Enydd has one too, I believe, and knows of it.  Ooh… and I do need Abirami to go save Ku’Aya (he’s the only one who can do it at this point) and you could do something to save everyone in the meantime from the bugs that are eating through the door… up to you…. I’ll write a post for Abirami… hopefully clear this up. =)

Abirami

As I came to, I could hear Enydd’s voice. “We had to solve riddles, then the Holy Man would grant us one wish.”

“Sounds… interesting.” A man’s voice said, his tone wary with disbelief.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. “What’s going on?” I felt like I’d just slept for 24 hours after a massive feast. Not that I’d ever done that…

Looking around, the memory of the situation slowly returned to me. Castle. Ku’Aya. Bugs. Strangers. KU!!

I bolted up, ignoring the man’s explanation. Something about saving me. I could thank him later. Right now, I had to get to Ku.

Near the back of the room, a young lady in pink was talking to a lanky young man whose voice sounded like it came from a boy half his age.

Continuing to search, I spotted the door on the other side of a mass of bodies, watching the door. I sprinted toward them, noticing the door was beginning to crack and bend. A few from the group were doing their best to patch up the holes that opened before too many termites and the horde of insects behind them got through.

“Let me through,” I said. “I can stop this.”

“Didn’t you start this?” accused Lorcan. His cheeks were slightly flushed, and his eyebrows nearly formed a unibrow. Was he angry that I threw him?

“No. When Ku’s in danger and unconscious, her hive tends to go out of control. It’s not something that could’ve been helped. But I can help her.”

“You’re kidding, right?” asked Jade. “You actually want to go back out in that? You’ll die before you reach the floor.”

“No,” said Lorcan, leaning over to address Jade. “He probably could do it.” He straightened up and puffed his chest out at me. “But allowing you to go would put all of us in danger. I can’t allow it.”

Can’t? I swallowed my retort. “I can end this. The swarm will retreat, and the danger will pass. You just have to hold out till then.”

“How long exactly?” asked the man from before, walking up from behind me. “Do you see all the people here? You are endangering them all if you go.”

“I can use the elixir,” I said. “It’ll only take as long as it takes for me to find her.”

“And what if it doesn’t work?”

“She’s my sister!”

Lorcan chuckled. “That green-skin’s your sister? Tell me how that works.”

“I’m going.” I’d waisted too much time as it was. The way the swarm was eating through the door, they wouldn’t have much time left as it was, anyway.

“No, you’re not,” Lorcan challenged.

“Like you could stop me.”

Lorcan quickly approached menacingly, and the man behind me placed a hand upon my shoulder. “I’m afraid I have to agree. Don’t go.”

With a sigh, I glanced back at the man. His concern seemed genuine, but I had to go.

Closing my eyes, I transformed, disappearing from their sight. The man’s hand fell, and he lurched forward for a moment before catching himself. Lorcan stopped, searching this way and that for me.

Landing on the ground as a flea, I jumped over their heads and landed on the door. Carefully crawling through, I made it to the other side of the door and dropped to the ground. The room was filled with buzzing, highly agitated insects.

What was going on? The room was empty, wasn’t it? What threat were they reacting to?

It would take forever to crawl my way through this mass, and no way I would be able to safely make it to Ku by jumping through this, so I released the flea essence and instead transformed into the crawfish. At least it’s carapace could protect me from most of the swarm.

Upon finding Ku, I transformed back into my original form but kept the augment of the crawfish skin, so as to protect myself, and began searching for Ku’s vial of elixir.

“By the Maker, Ku, do you always have to make it so hard?”

It’d been a long time since she’d lived alone on the streets, but some habits die hard; like hoarding things and hiding things, and stealing things… but that was mostly just my things she took. It was a game we played. Mostly she just wanted to see if she could pull one over on me. Yeah, not happening.

I found the vial tucked into her shoe, hid between her toes, and refocused on the task at hand.

Slipping a single drop into her mouth, I waited. Nothing happened.

“Ku,” I called out carefully, covering my mouth so no bugs flew in.

“Ku’Aya, come back to me.” I shook her shoulders. “Ku!”

Ku’Aya

My doppelgänger threw me to the ground and kicked me in the stomach.

“Useless,” she said. “Won’t even try to save yourself.” She spat in my face. “If you really want to die that badly, you’re going to have to do it yourself.”

I gasped for air and rolled away from her. “I don’t want to die.”

“Stop deluding yourself. What reason do you have to keep living?”

My chest hurt, but not from any physical injury. I couldn’t answer her. Me.

“You parents didn’t want you. You were just a big, massive mistake that never should have happened. All you do is mooch on others. If you added all you ever did in this life so far, could you really say it added up to anything?”

“Abirami wanted me,” I argued. “He invited me to be a part of his family.”

“Abirami’s stupid,” the shadow shot back. “You think so too. He’s always putting others first. It’s going to get him killed one day. You’ve always thought there was something wrong with him, in the head. Don’t deny it.”

“But-”

“That’s not the way the world works. Abirami lives in a delusion, and one day, it’s going to come crashing down on him. Admit it! That’s what you really think of your brother.”

“No, I…”

The other me laughed.

“But Semiramis, Menna and Setti-”

“The only put up with you because of Abirami.”

I shook as my fist hit the ground. It wasn’t true. I couldn’t be true.

“Why do you fight this? You know it to be true. I mean, come on, I’m you!”

I curled up into the fetal position, hugging my knees with my hands. I began to whimper.

“No one would miss you if you were gone. In fact… that’s preferable. The word would be better without you in it. You know it’s true.”

“No,” I cried, tears falling down my face.

“No one wants you.”

A crack of light streaked across the room, like an odd horizontal lightning bolt – neither having an origin or an end, as if it just appeared yet strangely had always been.

The apparition of me screamed, cringed, and clawed at the air in front of her. “I’m you,” it hollered. “You can’t deny the truth that you know.”

“Ku.”

It was Abirami’s voice.

“Ku’Aya. Come back to me!”

I wasn’t alone. Abirami had come for me. I didn’t care if he was stupid or not. He was the smartest dumb person I knew, and regardless of all that, he wanted me. He was my brother.

“Ku!”

I reached out my hand. “I’m here!”

Abirami

Ku’s eyes slowly opened, and I sighed in relief. The bugs calmed down, slowed, and began returning to their places in Ku’s hive.

With a gasp, Ku sat up right and flung herself at my chest, burying her head in my shoulder and wrapping her arms around me.

My breath caught, as I held my hands up in surprise. This was so unlike Ku. What had happened in her nightmare dream?

“I’m not useless, am I?” she asked.

Moisture wetted my shoulder. Was she crying?

Embracing her in return, I put one hand behind her head and held her tight.  “Of course not. Why would you say such a thing?”

I held her, and she remained still, and my mind whirled, wondering what exactly had happened and what was going through her mind.

Then Ku sat up, pushed against me to release herself from my embrace, then punched me in the chest. “Never speak of this to anyone. It never happened.”

Standing, she walked a few paces away from me and stopped, looking around. “Where is everyone?” she asked.

Walking up to her and grabbing her hand, at which she turned and glared at me, I said, “Come on,” ignoring the glare.

I climbed up first. There was excited talking going on in the room. Apparently they were arguing about what to do next, and whether it was safe outside now.

Opening the door from the outside, I stepped into the room, everyone turning to face me.

“Mission accomplished,” I said.

Lorcan was glaring at me. Then Ku came up behind me, and Lorcan drew his sword.

Instinctually, I double-augmented the crawfish skin and the bear’s strength. He wasn’t getting anywhere near Ku.  I crouched down, ready for anything.

“Stop,” called the man from before to Lorcan. “What are you doing?”

“That bug swarm was all her fault. She’s dangerous.”

I let out a growl of a warning. He ever so much as stepped forward with that brandished sword, there was going to be blows. If Ku was dangerous, I could be just as much, if not more.

Memories of when my essence had gone out of control ran through my mind, and how I’d hurt Setti…

I shook my head to rid myself of the memory.

Ku stepped to the side of me and bowed. “I’m sorry for the trouble I caused.”

“Ku-” I was about to protest, but Ku put a hand on my shoulder and looked into my eyes. There was a strength there that hadn’t been there a minute before.

She took another step forward. “I know you have no reason to trust me, but I now have everything back under control, and it won’t happen again.” She bowed low to them again, placing two fingers to her chest.

I was amazed. She’d never saluted anyone of her own volition before like that. Just what had happened down there in her dream?

Lorcan continued to argue with the group, but it seemed we just had to keep our distance for a while.

I wrapped an arm around Ku, proud of her response. Normally, she would have been all up in arms and ready for a fight too. We walked around the large group as Jade pressed on, saying “We still need to figure out how to get out of here”

The teenager with a kids voice ran up to us, the girl wearing pink following.

“Woah!” the squeaky-voiced guy said. “Cool green skin.”

Ku stepped back, a hand to her chest, but her ears started turning red. The kid seemed actually interested, and not in an insulting way, like most people from our homeland.

The boy approached, towering over her, and raised a hand toward Ku’s ear.

Ku swatted his hand away, but smirked, half-hiding behind me.

What was this? Ku being shy? This definitely was a day of firsts!

The boy laughed, then turned his attention toward me. “Nice abs, dude. Say, where’s your clothes? Did you get lost here without them? Or is there a pool somewhere in this joint?”

(Lol. another fun post…)

@emily-waldorf

Avin is the “other man” in my post… sorry I didn’t use his name, but I don’t think Abirami’s met him yet. Hope that works for you?

And I hope Lorcan wasn’t out of character… Please change anything that wasn’t….

@this-is-not-an-alien

Ehud is the one I described as having a younger voice… hope you don’t mind, but when you say Ang’s voice from Avatar, that’s what it reminds me of… a high-pitched voice of a younger child… hope that fits…. and not sure if I wrote him at the end in character… fell free to change his reactions to fit his character…  also, wasn’t sure how tall he was, being 16, or if he’s lanky or not, but Ku is really short, so either way, Ehud should probably still tower over her a bit…

and…

@rose-colored-fancy

Ophelia… just wasn’t sure what her reaction would’ve been. =)

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried. ~ G.K.C.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Whoa… hang on I think I got confused XD Enydd, Avin, and Abirami are already with the others, Just ignore that bit XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

ah. sorry, @rose-colored-fancy, didn’t see your post till after I posted mine.

but for those new on here, here is a photo of Abirami without his robe on, and below that is Ku’Aya. Both are generic but close renditions of what they look like.

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried. ~ G.K.C.

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jared-williams

ah. sorry, rose-colored-fancy, didn’t see your post till after I posted mine.

Don’t worry, same here 🙂 I like your idea better though! We can go with that one, I didn’t have anything planned beyond “Get the characters moving again”

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy no I got confused. I didn’t realize that Jared had brought Avin and Enydd to where the others were.

Don't cry for me, for I go where music is born ~J.S. Bach

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

@emily-waldorf

ooh… should have been more clear. (pouty sad face.) my bad. Yeah, I save you two in my post when you dove into the water, cause the bugs would have swarmed above you (so my rationale went) and you could only hold your breath so long, so I swallowed you up by transforming into a massive, huge worm, then broke a hole in the wall where the others were and spat you out, then used ice to close the hole I’d made……. (sheepish grin…) really sorry for the confusion.

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

then Avin saved me by using an elixir (either mine or you borrowed Enydd’s) and I then went to save Ku….

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

That was awesome! 😂

They were gone. All gone, finally. Jade was torn between dropping to the floor in uncharacteristic hysterics or… “Well, Castle, what next?” she asked.

Rosemary laughed at her sour expression. Nothing ever threw Rosemary. Not even the eccentric group around them. Jade had seen moderately dyed hair before, but never anything the likes of the insect-girl’s green skin or Cal’s vibrant indigo hair. And strange enough, it didn’t bug her like Mara’s obnoxious pink cornrows. The colors looked right on these people, not like they were showing off.

A few more introductions swirled around the group, and Jade filed them all away in her mind. Who knew how long this would be her life, and these people her city?

While the rest chatted (or argued. Lorcan still didn’t seem convinced to accept Ku), Rosemary pulled Jade off to the side. Thankfully the insects hadn’t hurt her too badly.

“Jade,” she said, “this isn’t Benevola Haven.”

“I kinda guessed that.” Jade smirked.

“That’s not what I mean. None of these people are enemies. They can’t take anything from you.”

“Other than my life,” said Jade.

Rosemary’s face went stern. Uh oh. Whenever she was this focused, someone would be in for it. “I heard what you said to the other dancer, Ophelia. It was unnecessary. She isn’t your enemy. She’s not Mara. I know it’s a force of habit for you, but maybe you could be a bit nicer. No one here can hurt your plans back home. ”

“Unless they kill me.”

It was Rosemary’s turn to be the eye-roller. “Like Ophelia’s going to kill you. How about you try an apology to prevent the murder?”

Jade rolled her own eyes but couldn’t stop from laughing. Rosemary playfully shoved her back to the group.

“Oh, fine.” Rosemary was right, after all. She was right more often than Jade liked to admit.

Before she knew it, Jade stood behind Ophelia, squashing useless pride. Useless in this situation at least.

“Um, excuse me, Ophelia?”

The young lady turned around away from Ehud. If she expected another insult, Jade could hardly blame her. “Yes?”

“Well, I was rather too harsh back when those bugs came out. I’m — sorry.” Why was that so hard to get out?

Ophelia smiled. “It’s ok! Those bugs would probably put anyone on edge.”

Rosemary patted Jade’s back and left. Then Jade realized she’d have to have a conversation. Alone. Well, almost. Without Rosemary anyway.

“You’re a dancer, too, right?” asked Jade, throwing around for a topic they both might know.

“Yes, and I know you’re one, too. Did you know from my feet?” Ophelia gestured toward them, slightly outturned . “That’s how I knew you’re one.”

“Uh, yes. I suppose I’ve practiced so much it’s stuck.” Jade laughed. This was a little better than she’d expected.

Ophelia laughed like the warbling birds that alone could penetrate Benevola Haven. “I go to a ballet academy. Do you?”

Jade didn’t know what a ballet academy was. “No, but I’m in the Haven’s dance program, and I practiced all summer to keep my spot… well, I did when I wasn’t helping out at the fish farm.” She wrinkled her nose at the memory.

@rose-colored-fancy
      I’m not certain if that’s how Ophelia would react, so just let me know how I did. Change whatever you like 🙂

Now I’ll follow Rosemary:

Rosemary walked down the dim passageway, seeking quiet. The others were nice, but she couldn’t keep up with them long. People were exhausting. She ran her fingers along the cool granite walls and savored not having to be anywhere. No schedules, no drudgery, no looming doom to distract her from her thoughts. Thoughts of her little brother and how to save him.

Absentminded, she walked toward the light ahead in the hall. Once she drew close, it blinded her eyes so long now used to the dark. As they adjusted, both dread and joy settled on her. The rickety desk and repurposed bottles full of desperate concoctions were all too familiar. This was home, her very own bed and desk and bottles. The voices of her own parents and Jade’s wafted from the common space to meet her. Rosemary turned around. No tunnel.

Where’s Jade?!

Ah, yes. I sent Rosemary home. Her performance in the Castle pleased me, so it’s rather ungrateful of me to send the poor girl off to her doom. However, there is another person I need to experiment with in the Castle more than she. Therefore, I introduce:

Isaias!

He’s way nicer than Jade, so I’m not sure why the rude girl fascinates him, other than his nigh-fatal curiosity. He’s very artsy and has a strong sense of justice and mercy, which makes him very rebellious toward the cruel Benevolents. He pretty much does everything they forbid every day. His MBTI is ENFP (Ehud will have company). He loves to personally help people.

Appearance: Dark hair and eyes, olive skin, about 5’10” since he’s a little shorter than Rosemary. Isaias usually carries very illegal things like notebooks and food (Benevola Haven is nuts. Be glad you don’t live there.).

Isaias pulled the curtain shut a little tighter, keeping out traitorous prying eyes. He unlocked the hidden compartment his father had fashioned when Isaias’ gift became apparent, and needed to be hidden. Isaias slipped out the stack of papers all covered with charcoal figures. He smiled at the flowers and mutant wolves and Bible story depictions. Laying out a fresh sheet, his mind time traveled to last week and this morning at the same time.

As he considered the injustice done to that Rosemary Andersen, another ghastly wolf took shape, bristling its hackles. He tilted his head. Was the wolf the Haven, or him angry at it? Who knew. Morbid analogy, anyway. Isaias shook himself, willing the taint of the dreadful Haven to leave his mind, and focused on the other memory at the forefront of his mind. A charcoal ballerina twirling in a gray mist emerged on the page. Jade. What had she been doing in the Culled district?

Isaias laughed aloud, and a thump came from the wall next to him. Oops. Miriam was probably trying to sleep. He glanced at the clock: 12:00 a.m. He continued chuckling quietly, for he might as well ask what he’d been doing in the Culled district.

Everything dissolved before him in a charcoal fog. Had he spilled something? But no, the ground was strange, and he sat on stone. Though he knew everyone, voices he didn’t know reached his ears, as well as one he knew: Jade’s.

What am I doing here?

We are called to be lights in the cosmos.
    May your inkwells never run dry!

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@jared-williams That’s totally fine. I was having trouble stepping into Avin’s character and my ( erroneous) post helped, so that was cool. And your last post was totally cool, so don’t worry. 🙂

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Avin

“What happened?” whispered Enydd. Avin glanced at her, then back at the man that lay gasping on the floor. “I don’t know.”

He’s dying.

He glanced back at Enydd, feeling more helpless than he ever had before. She blinked at him for a moment, then moved suddenly. “I can help.”

She scooted forward and pulled a vial out of her pocket. “It’s an elixir.” ( @inkhorn , Jared said Enydd had an elixir. IDK how she uses it or what it is, but now would be helpful).

Avin eyed her curiously. Enydd must have caught the question in his eyes and the raised eyebrows in the room. She said timidly, “We had to solve riddles, then the Holy Man would grant us one wish.”

Sounds like something from Sran Ekkel. Or maybe there’s still black magic in Colondai. Whatever it was, the man’s coughing eased, and opened his eyes. “What’s going on?”

“Maybe you can tell us.”  Avin looked into his eyes for any sign of a concussion, but suddenly the man leaped up, almost knocking Avin back. He looked around wildly and stepped toward the door.

“Let me through,” he ordered them. “I can stop this.” Avin stood up. He couldn’t go out there.

“Didn’t you start this?”  Lorcan stepped up behind him.

“No. When Ku’s in danger and unconscious, her hive tends to go out of control. It’s not something that could’ve been helped. But I can help her.”

It could be.

“You’re kidding, right?” Jade scoffed. Avin didn’t pay attention. Lorcan walked around him until he was in front of the man, between him and the door. “I can’t let you.”

Avin’s eyes looked from one to the other.

The man sidestepped, trying to get around Lorcan, but he matched the man step for step. The man’s hands balled into fists and his eyes smoldered. “I can end this. The swarm will retreat, and the danger will pass. You just have to hold out till then.”

Lorcan’s face set into hard steel. Avin stepped into the man’s line of vision. “How long?”

He felt the tension in the room tighten, and Lorcan looked at him. Avin held his stare.

“I can use the elixir,” The man was saying. “It’ll only take as long as it takes for me to find her.”

“You know it will work?”

“She’s my sister!”

Lorcan chuckled. “That green-skin’s your sister? Tell me how that works.” He muttered softly. Avin’s jaw set. What did it matter what color she was?

The man started forward with a restless motion. “I’m going.”

Lorcan stepped in the way again. “No, you’re not.”

“He’s got to.”Avin looked at the room full of people. “Get back from the door. Jade, you open it for him. Shut it as soon as he’s through, like your life depends on it.” Because it does.

Suddenly, the man was gone. Vanished into thin air. Avin looked around. The room was completely silent.

In only a few moments, the rasping chewing noise of the bugs against the door quit. In another moment it swung open and the man reappeared, a green woman with long ears just behind him.

Avin could feel every eye in the room widen at sight of her. Every stare reminded him that he was half Colondite. The ring on its chain around his neck felt cold and heavy. [The ring’s a symbol of his Colondite origins].

Lorcan stepped forward, his hand lingering near on of his insinuated weapons.

Don

“Don’t.” Avin’s voice was low and hard. Lorcan threw a look at her, mistrust and anger lingering in his steely eyes. “That bug swarm was her fault.”

“So?”

Avin looked past  Lorcan to where the man and his sister were standing. His sister shrank behind him, but fear and shame were slipping under the protection of anger and a sharp reply. Avin caught her eye, and he smiled at her, the barest of half-smiles.

Suddenly the anger vanished, taking the fear with it. Only shame and sadness were left, and a kind of dull weariness.

She stepped from behind her brother and bowed low. “I’m sorry for the trouble I caused.”

Avin stepped back melting in to the shadows by the wall and watched. A movement by his elbow made him look around. Someone was beside him.

~~

@Irishcelticredflowercrown
    IDK about Lorcan’s part. Hopefully you like it okay. 🙂

@anyone, Avin’s free for interaction, if you want. Otherwise don’t bother.

I’m gonna pull Alaric, I think. I’m doubting it’s a good idea to have him out of context of his story.

Maybe replace him with someone who will be helpful??? IDk, I don’t have much time.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@jared-williams I guessed it was Avin! 🙂

@calidris
    I don’t know much about your characters, but I’d love for them to interact with Avin, if you’re interested.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,206 through 2,220 (of 2,553 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest