fb

Fantasy Writers

Talk room

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 286 total)
  • Author
    Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@crazywriter

AAAHHHHH I’M SORRY I’M STILL ALIVE I PROMISE!!!!!!!!!! Lol I’m sooo busy right now that I honestly forgot SE existed and then I was like waiiiit a sec… XD

I will try not to disappear for that long again… Although I’m prolly gonna disappear for short periods of time because school. Oh well…

"The light perceives the very heart of the darkness." -Haldir

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@denali-Christianson

Good to hear it! I wondered if you fell if the face of the map. 😏

I guess life’s been busy for you as well? What’s going on on thy hearthstone?

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

*appears* Aha! You hast founded her. *pats Denali’s head*

Did any of you guys do Crazy Writing Week?

"For love is strong as death." -God

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@joelle-stone

I didn’t. I actually dont know what that is.

@joelle-stone
    @denali-christianson

I’ve been busy with school, odd jobs around the house, and pre-season workouts that writing honestly has taken a back burner. I’m still doing it, but I’m putting more thought into it. Where are you guys in your projects?

Chapter 2 of mine shall soon be done and I’ll send it here, and please, please, tell me anything, grammatical, logical, or related to the plot that isn’t good. It really helps. I know you guys will do that, and just give me an honest opinion, so if i need to change something I’ll know.

Thanks guys.

Also I don’t think I’ve read your guys works since the Flabbit Room. You’ll have to send them over.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@crazywriter,

Ooh, you should do it next year. It’s a week-long contest between two teams to see which team can write the most words and for the most minutes. I think this year we had over 500 young writers on my team, if that gives you any clue as to the scale of things. It’s really hectic but also really worth it. Imagine NaNo on more competitive steroids. 😛

Oof, yeah, I get that. *wince* OOH YES SEND IN CH. 2 ASAP POR FAVOR!! I’d be glad to tear it apart, rip it to shreds, burn it and mutilate it help you write better. *cough cough* 😛 Just kidding. It’s going to be awesome!

Hm, interesting idea. I shall have to think on this. 🙂

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@joelle-stone @denali-Christianson

Its SNOWING!!!

We haven’t had snow ever in Arkansas. At least, not while we’ve been here. (Granted we only moved here in the summer.) But this is the first snow of the year.

Have you guys gotten any?

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@crazywriter,

HEY COOLNESS!!! Snow in Arkansas isn’t something you get a lot. XDDD Is it a lot, or only like a dusting?

Uh, a few weeks ago we got six or seven inches, which is a rarity, but none since them. It’s still melting, though.

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@joelle-stone

Its a pretty good amount. Nothing too too big, but it’s about maybe 1-2 inches and it’s all packing snow so it’s really good for snowballs and other stuff.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

@crazywriter

*Rudely intrudes and hugs everyone to make up for it*

Imagine NaNo on more competitive steroids.

The only correct description. I participated for the second time this year and I wrote over 30k because I’m stupidly competitive. It really makes you write like nothing else does and the teams are awesome.

Right, Joelle? #Lifeinsurance #veggies XD (Those are the dumbest best hashtags anyone has ever invented)

How was your CWW? Productive? (Also congratulations to us for winning!! 😀 )

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@crazywriter,

OOH!! Over here we mostly get dry, powdery snow that’s best for using as a cushion when you fall of your sled. XD And 1-2 inches is AWESOME!!

@rose-colored-fancy

*waves and officially invites you into the convo* XD

AND YOU WROTE OVER 30K IN ONE WEEK!?!?! CONGRATS!!! I knew you sprinted a lot, but… that’s a LOT. XD

Right, Joelle? #Lifeinsurance #veggies XD (Those are the dumbest best hashtags anyone has ever invented)

‘Tis true, ’tis true. Though I haven’t seen those hashtags around that I can remember XD

How was your CWW? Productive? (Also congratulations to us for winning!! 😀 )

*high-fives* Yes congrats to us!! (And I happen to know someone who was critical in us getting ahead that last day… *wink-wink*) Mine was pretty good – not as productive as my first few CWWs, but more productive than I’d anticipated. I think I got about 10k in, but I can’t remember for sure. *grins* Thx for asking!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

AND YOU WROTE OVER 30K IN ONE WEEK!?!?! CONGRATS!!! I knew you sprinted a lot, but… that’s a LOT. XD

I told you, I’m stupidly competitive XD I have no idea how that happened except I got stubborn XD

(Note, don’t do this. It’s a very bad idea. Do as I say, not as I do XD)

‘Tis true, ’tis true. Though I haven’t seen those hashtags around that I can remember XD

LOL, I saw them all over XD The “Veggies” one is from PEAcocks and peas are veggies so that’s how we got there. And “Life insurance”… ummm… I think someone told a story of how they were typing something about vegetables and it autocorrected to a word that meant life insurance and it caught on just to confuse the Flamingos XD

And we can’t forget Majestic Disco Chickens XD

*high-fives* Yes congrats to us!! (And I happen to know someone who was critical in us getting ahead that last day… *wink-wink*) Mine was pretty good – not as productive as my first few CWWs, but more productive than I’d anticipated. I think I got about 10k in, but I can’t remember for sure. *grins* Thx for asking!

Wowww!! 10k is awesome!! Great job!!🤩🤩

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Hey, if it got words out, it got words out. XD

Majestic Disco Chickens? XDDDDD Didn’t ever hear that one, but it’s pretty cool. 😀

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@joelle-stone @rose-colored-fancy

I have no idea what y’all are talking about about but it sounds fun. Are you basically just typing as many random words as you can?

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@crazywriter,

Kind of, yes. The idea is that you work on a project you already have or something else to try and get words in. You sprint (that is, say “I’m going to write from this time to this time” and invite other writers to write with you at the same time) and when your sprint is finished, you check your wordcount and then submit that to be added to your team’s overall score. I have a feeling that didn’t make sense. XD

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@joelle-stone @denali-christianson

Chapter 2. Destroy it all you want, then tell me what tasted good! XD

Chapter 2

The next day, Abner woke to find the sky as cloudy as ever. Grey light streamed in, from an open window, and he stretched, yawned, and walked to the door, calling for his servants.

He endured the grievous dressing routine, and about half an hour later, he was joining his fiancé Lorraine for a walk before the dreaded war council.

Dressed in royal finery, he boasted a white undershirt lined with red trim, a red and gold robe, lined with bear-fur that came down past his ankles, and the traditional metal studded kilt that the Arhonian Royalty wore for dress occasions. Lorraine wore a simple green dress lined with gold thread.

She held his hand, making small talk for the majority of the stroll, but after a pause, she asked, “Abner, are you nervous?”

He swallowed, and didn’t speak for some time, gazing at the overcast sky.

“Yes. Yes, I suppose I am. I don’t feel like I know what I’m doing. Even though I’ve ruled for three years, I don’t really feel like a king. I still feel like a child.”

Lorraine thought, then spoke her usual wisdom. “Abner, your young. You will feel like that. But you must realize that everyone goes through it, and you can only learn more.”

Abner smiled, and kissed her on the cheek. “Thank you, Lorraine. Your encouragement means more than you know.”

He glanced at the Great Hall, his destination, and bid Lorraine farewell.

“I’ll see you tonight.” Lorraine said, and it was those words that gave Abner the strength to climb the steps and open the heavy wooden doors to the Council.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The war council was nothing as exciting or nerve-wracking as Abner had expected. Mostly, it was bureaucrats arguing about the levying of taxes, the raising of militia, none of which concerned Abner.

After the customary homage to the king, he was almost forgotten. Abner had to pinch himself to stay awake, and before long the butterflies in his stomach were all but gone.

So it was, that sometime after noon, Abner was jolted from his daydream by loud banging on the doors and muffled shouts.

The commotion silenced the Council’s conversation, and they all looked annoyed at the ruckus outside.

“Let me in!” A voice shouted, and the two guards by the door looked with question at Abner. Eager for a change in the mundane monotony of the Council, Abner waved at the guards to let the man in.

When the doors opened, a bear of a man, clothed in furs from various animals stepped into the hall. He walked deliberately to the center of the room, faced Abner, and spoke.

“News from the Barrowmark!” He shouted. “The garrison in Ensteyr reports a force moving from the south. A force of several thousand.” A hush fell over the Council. Soon, however, a young noble, Lord Rekner, scoffed.

“So? Call up the militia from each shire and we shall send these fools back to where they came from. Do we not have a superior military?”

This very question had lingered in Abner’s mind, but he had the tact to keep silent about it.

The messenger, clearly disgusted with the flippancy the young noble had displayed, voiced his distaste.

“Your light air does not befit the situation, noble. You have only heard the half of it.” He paused for effect. “They march under the banner of a red sword, and a black hand. They march under the banner of Armagon.”

The statement quieted even the most inexperienced of nobles.

Abner had only read of Armagon, but he knew enough that the messenger’s words sent a chill down his spine. The Arhonian Library only had a few books on the nation of Armagon, and it’s place in Arhon’s history, but that was simply because the lack of information on Armagon, not the lack of influence.

Abner recalled reading one of the books, which detailed a period of time about three hundred years prior, when Armagon had invaded Arhon, and completely pillaged the peninsula. The survivors had fled to the mountains, building a crude fortress to protect against another invasion by the forces of Armagon.

And invade they did, and were it not for a courageous effort from the king and his men, Arhon would have been destroyed that day. Instead, a small band of Royal Marines, led by Abner’s ancestor, Thegn, miraculously pushed back the enemy, and over time the peninsula was retaken.

Apparently Abner’s trip back in time had led to a sizable daydream, and he was shook out of it, when a familiar voice sounded in his ear.

“Abner! Abner! What is your answer?” It was Jethro, and Abner blushed when he realized that not only Jethro, but the whole council was looking at him expectantly. He looked desperately at Jethro, who wisely stood, and announced that there be a short intermission for the king to come to a conclusion.

Whatever the conclusion was to be about, Abner didn’t know, but he was sure Jethro would fill him in.

The Hall emptied quickly, and Jethro herded Abner to a private room where he was promptly handed a drink to sip on while Jethro gave his speech.

“Your Highness, you truly should pay more attention to your Council! It’s not fitting to be distracted, especially at your first one! You could lose favor with the Council, and then your every decision would be bemoaned and fought.” He droned on, and Abner dutifully endured the criticism. Finally, Jethro sighed, and put a hand on Abner’s shoulder, an unusually paternal act that Abner wasn’t used to, though he wasn’t upset by it.

“Abner, I have councilor you, and your father before you. I am committed to your family. If you go down, I do as well, and there’s way I’d rather have it. But you must put diligence and solemnity into your rule, for only by it can you be respected.”

Abner thought the harangue was a bit of an overreaction as he had been lost in thought about the situation, not something silly. But he could see how it would seem in the eyes of the Council, and he appreciated Jethro’s wisdom, so he nodded his head, and thanked the old magi.

“I understand your wisdom, Jethro. I see where I have erred. Thank you.”

Jethro smiled, and nodded appreciatively. “Have you thought of what your decision should be, regarding whether to send troops to Ensteyr?”

Abner drew a breath in, and let it out slowly, speaking after a long pause.

“I don’t see how we can leave the garrison to fend for themselves. But neither should we empty the peninsula of all forces of defense.”

Jethro smiled, nodding. “A wise choice.”

“Perhaps,” Abner said, chewing on his lip, “Perhaps, I shall take a group of cavalry, 500 or so, and reinforce the garrison.”

“Lead the troops yourself? You should asses the risk, Sire.”

“I know the risk. I cannot lead on a throne if I cannot lead on a saddle.”

A sad smile spread over Jethro’s face. “Abner,” he said, “You have a good heart. Just like your father.” Tears welled in both men’s eyes, one remembering a conquering king, mighty in battle, the other a tender father, who helped a boy grow to a man. A silence fell, then Jethro spoke, with a chuckle.

“Just mind that head of yours.”

~ ~ ~ ~

It was with baited breath that the council anticipated Abner’s decision. The young king stood, cleared his throat, and spoke.

“Lords of the Council, in response to the unexpected messenger, I have come to a decision.” Abner swallowed, mulling the weight of his first important order as king. After a small pause, however, he steeled his resolve, clenched his jaw, and said with as much kingly dignity as he could muster, “Levy the shires, and call up the militia. Defensive procedures are to be followed. I will take men to reinforce Ensteyr. We ride at dawn.”

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 286 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest