fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle

Viewing 15 posts - 1,021 through 1,035 (of 1,072 total)
  • Author
    Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

@noah-cochran

So do you write chronologically (starting in chapter 1 and ending at last chapter)?

I am probably the most nonlinear writer you could hope to meet! But I’m actually trying to make an effort to be more liner with my Certain as the Sun fic…

…which I’m currently ignoring in hopes of finishing this outline…

(There is clearly no problem nor conflicts of interest whatsoever. Obviously.)

Could you give me the gist of what your outline looks like and what critiques you would want? I’m more of an outliner (chapter by chapter outline for instance), so if I give advice, it will be skewed that way.

I’m just looking at hitting major story beats mostly. Anytime I try to plot what happens between the main beats I wind up on a different train completely. But all my shorter works that have just a few beats figured out wind up finished so I’m gonna apply that thought process to a novel and see how that works.

Anyway, the outline I’m doing for Lost City is going to be focused on Burn – I’m not touching the other two plots at the moment because then it will run away from me like a manic toddler on a sugar high with your favorite (extremely fragile) stuffed animal clenched between their grubby little fists.

As for critiques I want? Mostly I want another set of eyes on the darn thing with an objective “Yes, this can work” or “No, this won’t work.” I’m pretty sure, however, the answer will be somewhere between those two. I just kinda hope it’s closer to the yes.

My main deals are plot and theme. If those glimmer in this mess I’m writing, then it might actually be going somewhere. Buuuuut I am too close to it to really see it, ya’know what I mean? I see the grander vision of theme and have so many good scenes (written and imagined) that I might not see a glaring error or contradiction in my main beats.

And no. I am not a mad gnome. I have way too many hoarding tendencies – just ask @this-is-not-an-alien – to not have some kind of goblin / dragon thing going if I were a fantasy race.

Honestly though, I cause so much trouble with electronics / mechanics just by breathing near them that dragonborn gremlin might be the appropriate fantasy race for me.

(spots shiny penny. Wanders off aimlessly with a bag full of plants and more shiny coins.)

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@hannahrenner

I am probably the most nonlinear writer you could hope to meet! But I’m actually trying to make an effort to be more liner with my Certain as the Sun fic…

My sister is the same way. We’ve discussed its merits and faults many a time. xD

I’m just looking at hitting major story beats mostly. Anytime I try to plot what happens between the main beats I wind up on a different train completely. But all my shorter works that have just a few beats figured out wind up finished so I’m gonna apply that thought process to a novel and see how that works.

Alright, I’ll do my best to give advice, but the more specific your questions are, the more help I’ll be.

Honestly though, I cause so much trouble with electronics / mechanics just by breathing near them that dragonborn gremlin might be the appropriate fantasy race for me.

Alright, gremlin it is. 🙃

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@ethan-leonard @ragnarok @rusted-knight @hannahrenner @kimlikesart

Ok!! So…there’s been a lot of clutter and confusion in the Character Castle and it’s been quiet for a bit so…”IT’S 12 PM DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHARACTERS ARE???”
    Everybody tell everybody what your characters are doing and where they are and we’ll see where to go from there? 🙂

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

Quick question…

@this-is-not-an-alien
    I don’t have anyone in this castle…do y’all think I could drop a character from a movie I’m making, a Mandalorian by the name of Con Ensin? If so I would need someone to please explain what is going on and where everyone is…

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@ethan-leonard

OH I FORGOT TO EXPLAIN!!! XDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Actually this is the chat room for the Character Castle 2.5, but it was originally the chat room for a dead character castle that @kimlikesart and I migrated from but we asked everybody if they wanted to use this chat room for Character Castle 2.5 and so now it’s just where we plot stuff for that character castle 😁✌️

do y’all think I could drop a character from a movie I’m making, a Mandalorian by the name of Con Ensin?

YOU’RE MAKING A MOVIE?!???!?!?!?! IS IT ANIMATED OR LIFE ACTION, DO YOU ANIMATE, SCRIPT????? ARE YOU COLLABORATING OR SOLO!?!?!?!? THAT’S SUPER COOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

I’d love to meet Con Ensin if you still wanna drop him in the castle, that’s cool!

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

@this-is-not-an-alien

XD It’s animated, I’m a 3D animator. I do have a bunch of friends who are gonna voice different characters, but  apart from that I’m going solo…so it’s pretty difficult. Yes I’m writing the whole script. And before anyone asks it is pretty much a Star Wars fan film. It’s about this Jedi Mandalorian (Con Ensin) who has, with his Master Odin Watou, kept a MASSIVE (WE’RE TALKING 50.5 MILLION SOLDIERS ) army hidden away in preparation for the day when they would remove the scum of the Sith from the galaxy…(this btw is set during the time of the First Order)

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

OH WHAT 3D ANIMATOR DO YOU USE?? BLENDER, MAYA, DIAZ???

That’s sounds sweet!!!! I wanna animate but I’d need a separate computer/laptop/device from my school/graphic design one to really focus on it so I’ll probably wait until I graduate, but that’s super cool!!!!

Do you need any more voice actors? I’d love to try! Are you gonna use free royalty sounds and music? There’s a couple free ones out there that don’t even need an account! What software will you use for the sound system? What style of 3D animation do you use? How much focus do you put on the camera angles? How long does it take for your program to render 5 min pieces? 🤩🤩🤩

😁

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

@this-is-not-an-alien

XDDDD love the enthusiasm. I’m still a bit of a beginner, yes I’m using blender, quality will be as life-like as possible, and no I don’t need any more voice actors at the moment (thanks for asking though). I haven’t really focused on music at the moment, I’m still working on the set, but if you have any ideas they’d be greatly appreciated. It does take a loooooong time to animate, my first actual animation took several hours (a two second long clip) Do you animate as well?

Alarm bells were going off. The whole ship was shaking as each blast slammed into the Avenger. A massive explosion from the port engine made Con glance over quickly, and then back to the display as even more alarms went off.

Silencing the alarms, Con steered the Avenger towards the nearby planet. Pulling back on the yoke to bring the nose up, he plummeted through the atmosphere, loosing his pursuers. The friction caused the belly of the Avenger to heat up to very high temperatures.

Plunging through a cloud, Con pulled hard on the yoke, wishing that Zora was here to hold back the throttle. As the ground rushed up, Con threw the yoke forward, pushing the nose down and sending Con and the Avenger straight into the side of a castle.

Crashing into the side, Con bounced around as they plunged into the wall. He got thrown hard against the side, knocking him out.

When he came to, he was lying on the floor on his belly. Slowly raising himself up, he glanced around. Spotting his helmet, he grabbed it and pulled it onto his head. He then stood up slowly, checking for injuries. Surprisingly there were only a few cuts and scrapes, aside from a big bump on his head.

Heading towards the door at the back of the cabin, he forced it open and descended down to the main hold of his ship. Crates and boxes were all strewn about. Even his speeder in its special hold was out of place and damaged. Uggghh… He thought. This’ll take a while to repair. Not to mention I don’t even know where I am. Should check outside first. Where is my…

Spotting his double barreled heavy rifle, he picked it up, checked it, and went to the main door at the side of the hold. Forcing that open, he stepped out into a large hall in the castle. Glancing around, he saw nothing. But when he reached out with the Force…different story. There was someone here. But who?

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

*waves* Hi!

Could I… maybe be brought up to speed on what’s happened in the castle?
    (Sorry! I get if no one has time. I… disappeared for a long while.) dx

Jominkreesa

Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Never mind! I’m caught up… basically…

—-

Nithel: Nithel’s been lost… somewhere… I think I’ll pull him out? For the moment?
    I’ll bring in Nithel’s eldest child, instead.

This is Leana. She’s sixteen.
    She loves her family with everything in her. A good cook/housekeeper/farmer… But she’s also bold, impetuous, and can loose her temper when she gets passionate about something. She loves the stars, outdoors, and little children. She’s compassionate. And she loves to laugh, though she hasn’t for a long time.
    She… also ran away from home… where her father/Nithel ordered her to stay… almost two years ago… To follow her father and brother, when they went to war, without their knowledge. She’s still looking for them, serving as a messenger/nurse, as she goes. She’s… worried they’ve both likely died.

Leana

Jominkreesa

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Oh!

She has on a simple blouse, a brown colour that’s not dark but also not light. She’s also wearing a thick, woolen, navy skirt, as well. Its folds are loose, and easy-enough to move/ride in, but it falls to just above her ankles. Both items are likely dirty, with leaves, twigs, and maybe a few blood stains.

She wears a necklace, made from a thin leather cord, with a single wooden pendant on it. An intricate star is etched into it, but it’s usually hidden under her blouse.

She’ll smell like sweat, horses, dirt, and blood.

She wears no shoes.

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

XDDDD love the enthusiasm. I’m still a bit of a beginner, yes I’m using blender, quality will be as life-like as possible, and no I don’t need any more voice actors at the moment (thanks for asking though). I haven’t really focused on music at the moment, I’m still working on the set, but if you have any ideas they’d be greatly appreciated. It does take a loooooong time to animate, my first actual animation took several hours (a two second long clip) Do you animate as well?

XDDDDD I like blender! Ohhhh so video game quality animation not disney quality! 😁✌️

Okey-dokey!

Pexels free royalty sounds/music is pretty great! You can use an Online Sequencer to design your own instrumentals but I’m not good at that yet lol!

Oik yeahhhhhhhh it’s crazy rendering stuff.

I started blender animating but college got in the way and I had to set it aside for the moment. Weight painting be worse than rigging in my opinion 🙂 Sculpting is complicated but I was just starting to get the hang of, I loved the textures blender renders. I only ever did one animation tho, I meant to have a teddy bear that waved at you and it was going really good and then it literally jumped out of its rigging and hanged itself with invisible rope I accidentally killed my teddy bear it was horrible it was like a horror film pieces of rigging popping out like bone!!!!

Haha…so, that was as far as I got before I had to drop it for college but I know I’ll get back to it when I have the chance!

Oh actually, I mean, you can drop Con in Group A or B in the character castle with Arsene or Nathair XDDDDD. This is just the chat room for that castle, it’s…really confusing at first but makes things easier once you get the hang of it XDDDDDDDD.

Which group does he drop in with? That’ll be fun! 😂

*waves* Hi! Could I… maybe be brought up to speed on what’s happened in the castle? (Sorry! I get if no one has time. I… disappeared for a long while.) dx

KIMKIMKIMKIM!!!!!!! *bounces up and down, bowls over with a hug* We really missed you!!❤️ I’m so glad you’re back!!❤️

Oh…yeah. A lot happened…a lot of pure chaos happened…*sheepish grin*

Never mind! I’m caught up… basically…

🙂😁😅😬 I apologize for every inappropriate joke Alessio made while Nithel was gone XDD

Nithel: Nithel’s been lost… somewhere… I think I’ll pull him out? For the moment? I’ll bring in Nithel’s eldest child, instead.

Ok!! That’ll be fun, she’s Nithel’s daughter, she will once again restore stability, level-headedness and *reads bio* welp they’re all gonna die.

*I can’t wait to see her and Alessio interacting that’ll be so much fun!*

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@this-is-not-an-alien

I apologize for every inappropriate joke Alessio made while Nithel was gone XDD

*nervous smile*

*bows to you/puts hand on heart*

Ok!! That’ll be fun, she’s Nithel’s daughter, she will once again restore stability, level-headedness and *reads bio* welp they’re all gonna die.

*actually laughs*
    Yeah… 😄
    Most likely, yes, they are going to die.

But she… might… bring some stability? She doesn’t take much guff, particularly from men… her time with the army’s increased that. But… it’s also increased her impulsiveness? Sooooo… 😊

*I can’t wait to see her and Alessio interacting that’ll be so much fun!*

I’m excited, too!!!

Jominkreesa

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

@kimlikesart

Greetings! Interesting character. If you wouldn’t mind I would love to have Con and Leana meet. Thoughts?

@this-is-not-an-alien

😂😂😂the self-hanging teddy bear! I haven’t gotten to rigging yet, I need to soon, and I’m pretty good at weight painting…

Sure! Hrrrmmmm…..Group 2 with Nathair. Fire away when ready, Con has made his entrance lol.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@ethan-leonard

Hi! A pleasure to meet you!

Sure! Con sounds really cool. I wonder what his story is… since he’s Mandolorian. <3

But… you’d have to drop into Group 1? Or they might all fall into the same room, again, at some point.

Group 1 is in a hotel, at the moment? Leana just appeared there?

https://storyembers.org/groups/fantasy-writers/forum/topic/character-castle-2-5/page/10/

Jominkreesa

Viewing 15 posts - 1,021 through 1,035 (of 1,072 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Overwhelmed by Self-Editing Your Novel?

Our Ultimate Self-Editing Checklist breaks down the process with probing questions to ask about your manuscript. Make editing simple and successful.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the self-editing checklist in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest