fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,171 total)
  • Author
    Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

At the center of the Land of Stories, where all genres converge, a splendid structure stands high on a hill. A remnant of ages past, it has remained untouched from the very foundation of the world. The ancient stonework, a medley of different architecture, most resembles a Victorian castle. Enter through a door of weathered green wood and you will see a perfectly round table with a round map spread across it. If you look for long enough, you may catch a glimpse of translucent runes hovering over the table. A star might even appear above a portion of the enchanted map, marking the world from which you have come.

Various corridors branch off this central hall. Their colored doors hide many a Secret. In some way, I know not how, the castle brings Beings from their Worlds. Whether creature or man, mortal or immortal, these characters awaken to find themselves within a secret stronghold. They gaze out through the narrow windows at this unfamiliar world’s gardens, villages, forests, mountains, and oceans. Though they wish to draw nearer, the old green door is locked to them. Nothing will persuade it to open. For centuries it has stood in the gap between the Worlds and Today, separating them lest one discover the Secrets of the other.

Here in the castle the Beings may find kindred spirits in one another, or they may discover a new foe. It is certainly assured that, in this reprieve from the struggles of their Worlds, Secrets will come to light.

All was well and is well, as it should be, and All will remain so until the End.

By request of @anne_the_noob14, I have adapted a former Parimi Alca topic for use in the general Fantasy Writers group. Welcome to the Character Castle! This is where you can bring your characters to meet one another (role-play), and perhaps even discover new things about them and their arcs.

A few guidelines:

-No character may leave the castle, but you can invent any room (library, indoor garden, kitchen, etc.) as it pertains to the role-play. Simply describe the color of the door which leads to it and head on in! Due to the castle’s unpredictable nature, its rooms may change appearance and shape, so don’t worry about making your descriptions completely accurate—just have fun writing.

-Feel free to chat with other participants to ask about characters and decide which way the story will go.

-You can’t put yourself in the story. As awesome as it would be to meet your own characters, remember that the old green door separates us from the Worlds. (An exception is if you have a character based loosely off yourself in one of your stories. That’s legal. 🙂 )

-Any character can enter, even if they’re a villain! Simply remember that the magic of the castle makes evil (and good) powers a little unwieldy. Even if the characters do end up making a mess, the castle will clean it up. It might not be too happy about it, though.

-For now, the topic will be limited to 10 participants at one time. This is to minimize confusion. If you’d like to join but there isn’t an opening, voice your interest anyway.

That’s all! Have fun, Emberlings.

Writer, illustrator, Parimi Alcan

Check out my new blog! https://arbitraryfairy.wordpress.com/

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@Ariella-newheart Ooh, this looks fun!

I hope I’ll be able to keep up with it. Sometimes I get kinda behind when it comes to things like this. XD

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@ariella-newheart Yay! Thank ya kindly! 😀

@naiya-dyani
    This is what I was talking about that the Parimis have that I was thinking you’d like 🙂 I was gonna tag you and then saw that you saw it already! 😀

Alrighty, I’m gonna be thinking about what character I want to bring in. I have so many now it’s hard to decide XD

Naiya, what do you think about me bringing Greyl or Dharin? I think Greyl would be fun to have, but also I haven’t written from Dharin’s perspective ever, so he’d be cool to experiment with… Or I could bring Stilton, or Gwendolyn. I think not Gwen, cause I have a whole book I’m writing from her perspective and I don’t want to exhaust myself lol. Stilton is gonna be kinda similar to (Ariella is the only one here at the moment who will know him) Lucas, so I dunno about that either. (Lucas was my character I brought in to the Parimis’ Character Castle.) I don’t want the character I bring here to be too similar to Lucas cause I want to kinda do some new stuff, ya know? I could bring in Werrley, which might be interesting. A talking owl would cause some interesting stuff. Or I could bring Dana. Although I don’t know if I have her fleshed out enough for me to be able to write her perspective too well. So I think either Greyl or Dharin.

HA! Or I could bring in Wiggins!! XD XD

I have a farmer in the same WIP as the abovementioned characters (minus Lucas, different WIP), and he’s this lil’ old fella who lets Gwendolyn, Greyl, and Werrley ride in his wagon to get to a village when Gwen’s arm is so badly hurt she can’t walk.  He showed up for that one scene, and I have plans for him to show up later on as well, but I think it’d be cool to bring him in. He’s used to farmhouses and sleeping in barns and all, and if I bring him he’ll have to be in this castle with stuff and I think that’s be fun XD

Ok so let’s take a vote. We’ve got Dharin, Greyl, and Wiggins. Tell me whatcha think! Who should I bring?

Some stuff about each one:

Dharin: Tall and handsome. Wavy brownish-red hair that he keeps shoulder-length. Facial hair of the same color, but he’s clean-shaven most of the time. Likes to flirt with literally every pretty woman he comes across. Is fond of ale, but it has to be good ale. He won’t drink the bad stuff. He’s the captain of the three Riders, a group of men who basically go out and arrest the people they’ve been told to arrest. Personality-wise… flirty. But he can buckle down and be serious and get all “Ok this is what we’re doing, we’re killing this dragon, this is how we’re doing it. Let’s go” when needed. (And he’s actually a very nice person, despite what Naiya’s Grace may think XD)

Greyl: Short and grizzled-ish. (Like probably 4’9″.) Really old (263 years, roughly). Part tree. His full name/title/whatever is Greyl of The Oakenguild. Basically he has a seventh sense (as well as the “sixth” sense that people joke about having) that he can metaphorically reach out with and sense the energy and life-force that trees (specifically oaks) give off. He looks kinda like the emperor of China from Mulan, as far as his hair/beard are concerned. And he kinda has an overall “forest hermit who’s probably a million years old” look. He’s very studious (all those of the Oakenguild are) and knowledgeable. Very kind-hearted. Is very fond of Gwendolyn. (The tree-folk can’t have children, and she’s kind of like the daughter he can never have.)

Wiggins: Average height; rough and worn farmer. Probably 60-something, idk. Used to hard farming work and sometimes not a full meal. Overall pretty healthy. I’m pretty sure he’s either single or widowed. No children. And he’s fine with that. He wouldn’t know how to handle a family. Is fond of chewing on straw. A very down-to-earth fellow. Kind and generous, always tries to be helpful.

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Urwen Starial
    @urwen-starial

@ariella-newheart

Might be interested. Idk if I can keep up. I have a lot of writing projects going on at the moment. Keep me updated tho!

“Tears sparkle like fallen stars, the world at our fingertips, We didn’t know, It wasn't happiness.

JennytheFaun
    @jennythefaun

@ariella-newheart Same here–I’m interested, but I don’t know how active I’ll be able to stay.

"...by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."

Dashuri Halad
    @christlover

@anne_the_noob14

I really like the idea of Dharin. I am thinking about bringing in one of two characters. I will either bring in one of my female characters who hates it when people hit on her, and normally shows her dislike of it by maiming the man giving her too much attention. The other option is a guy that has a somewhat flirty personality and who enjoys pranking anyone and everyone he can. I could see either one of them having some interesting and potentially funny interaction with Dharin. For everyone in the thread: which one do you think I should bring in?

Looking forward to being a part of this with all of ya’ll.

"When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty."
    -V

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 oops yeah I forgot to come to a decision on that. . . XD

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@christlover

I think I’ll end up bringing either Dharin or Wiggins… I might let my little brother decide. We’ll see.

I like the idea of another flirty and prank-loving guy! But obviously you’re the author, so whichever!

@naiya-dyani
    You’re good! 😛

Oof, guys. My contacts finally got here (we ordered them like a month ago) and my eyes are still adjusting back from glasses so right now the computer screen looks slightly weird XD

@jennythefaun
    @urwen-starial

I feel both of y’all on the “might or might not be active” part lol XD Things here aren’t necessarily hectic, but they also kinda are. In a good way though. I’ve been working on cleaning out my closet, and my brother and I have been helping our mom plant stuff in the garden, and I have three hens who are broody, one of which has two babies as of this afternoon, so we’ve got a lot going on, on top of the normal schoolwork and chores.

Oh, how’s everyone doing with this coronavirus mess? At the moment, we’re all good here as far as not being house-quarantined. My dad is a math professor, and he’s right in the middle of this “everything’s online now” stuff. And we actually have reason to believe we might all (me, my brother, mom, and dad) be immune to it. We think we may have all gotten it a month-ish ago. So if we are, that’s cool.

I literally can’t believe the lengths people are going to to avoid this. My opinion is that it’s no worse than the flu, and the only reason people are so frantic is cause the media hyped it up like “OHHH IT’S THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC”. Idk. I mean, yes I’m concerned cause people have died from it, and it’s probably best to be careful, but fighting over toilet paper is unnecessary.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 Especially considering it’s a respiratory infection. . . XD

I’m honestly not too concerned about it myself. Although I am enjoying the sudden change to the norm and being able to cozy up by ourselves in the house, since everything’s closing up. 😉 #introvertside

JennytheFaun
    @jennythefaun

I’m not too worried about the virus itself, but several things I was looking forward to are in an uncertain state at best right now…my work is still open though, oddly enough. It’s just a strange situation.

5 Things To Remember When The Coronavirus Cancels Your Life

This article about it is really good, especially for writers.

"...by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani @jennythefaun

*nodnod* Yup. I’m most worried about the panic lol.

XD Introverts are rejoicing right now!

I’m actually an extrovert, and I’m frustrated because my writing club isn’t meeting until May, my table tennis club isn’t meeting until further notice, the homeschool group park days and teen game nights are all postponed, and UGH

XD Anyways.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

Right then! I asked my brother and he said Dharin, so that’s who I’m bringing!

I’m pasting in the description I gave earlier, and adding some snippets from the story he’s in just as some extra stuffs 😀

Dharin:

Tall and handsome. Wavy brownish-red hair that he keeps shoulder-length. Facial hair of the same color, but he’s clean-shaven most of the time. Green eyes, probably has some scars here and there from different brawls and fights, and a strong jawline.

Likes to flirt with literally every pretty woman he comes across. Is fond of ale, but it has to be good ale. He won’t drink the inferior stuff. Also loves his horse, and, if you dare look crosswise at it, Dharin will probably challenge you to a duel.

He’s the captain of the three Riders, a group of men who basically go out and arrest the people they’ve been told to arrest.

Personality-wise… flirty, laughs a lot, enjoys pulling pranks on his friends. But he can buckle down and be serious and get all “Ok this is what we’re doing, we’re killing this dragon, this is how we’re doing it. Let’s go” when needed.

______

“Good evening, sir.” The man [Dharin] spoke softly and gently, and Greyl recognized the voice, yet unable to place it. “I trust I did not disturb your musings?”

______

Dharin laughed, and the sound was clear, soft and pleasant, like church bells on a spring wedding day. “Is that how you decline? Without even an apology?”

______

Dharin turned from smirking at a pretty young woman passing by. “So I did, so I did.” He drank another mouthful of his ale. “I’ve heard that you’ve seen things, heard things, know things. I need advice.”

______

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@ariella-newheart @jennythefaun @naiya-dyani @christlover @urwen-starial

Alrighty! I’m just gonna jump in head-first with this first piece I’m working on. I have no idea where it’s gonna go lol XD I’ll try to have it posted later tonight!

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

Here it is! Apologies for the somewhat abrupt ending. It’s getting late and I’ve gotta get up early tomorrow.

______

Dharin flicked his rapier’s blade in, out, around. He was balanced perfectly on the balls of his feet, and his face was rosy with the excitement he always felt when his sword was in hand. Kylian, one of the men Dharin commanded, was his dueling partner. Also balanced, also flushed, Kylian darted his own sword in and out, parrying his captain’s thrusts.

Dharin feinted to the left, took advantage of Kylian’s momentary confusion to step forward, seeming to intertwine the two blades, then slashed out with the dagger he held in his other hand, forcing Kylian to drop his rapier or risk his arm.

Kylian smiled grimly. “I fell for that same thing last time.”

Dharin nodded. “In a real fight, there wouldn’t have been a ‘last time’. There’d be a ‘this time’, and that would have been the only chance you got.” He offered the blond man an encouraging smile. “Keep working on it. Marek?”

Marek stepped forward, drawing his rapier, and shifted his feet around a moment, then settled into a relaxed stance. Dharin swiped his sleeve over his face and wiped his palms one at a time on his trousers, then found his own stance and was all business once more.

As Dharin’s blade rung against Marek’s, he thought about the different styles of his two men. Kylian focused more on getting the strokes right and had a calm way of approaching. Marek didn’t give a flying fig about the strokes, and went in immediately, focusing on a much harder and forceful approach. Neither one had any particular weaknesses in their technique to speak of; they had both found something that worked for them.

Dharin shook himself out of his musings, and found himself faced with— a stone wall? He stepped back and looked around him. He was in the main hall of a large building, a castle, presumably. Along three walls, there were many colorful wooden doors. In the center of the room was a round table on which a parchment of some sort was spread. A larger door was in the middle of the fourth wall, and Dharin went to open it but found no doorknob of any sort. He frowned, and slid his dagger back into its sheath, keeping his rapier drawn. There was a small crack in the door, about eye-level for most people, and Dharin stooped the couple inches required to see through. Outside, a narrow path leading down a mountainside thick with trees. Nothing unusual.

Dharin turned back to study the room again. There were torches along the walls at reasonable intervals, but, other than the table, there was no furniture. He went over to take a closer look at the parchment and found a perfect copy of a map of the continent he knew so well. He quickly picked out the kingdom of Raldimar, with its winding river and great mountains. Perhaps this was one of His Majesty’s summer castles. That didn’t answer the question of how Dharin came to be here all of a sudden, but he knew that sometimes a wizard’s spell would go awry. Perhaps that was what happened. In that case, Dharin would be stuck here a few hours at most, then the wizard would fix the spell and bring Dharin back to his practice field where his men would be awaiting him.

It will be an uncomfortable few hours, Dharin thought. He had sweated off some of the water he drank before and during dueling, and the rest had made it through his digestive system and was making its presence known in his lower abdomen. He shrugged it off, as he so often did the discomforts that arose with his job. While he was here, he might as well explore. It would be his only chance to see one of the king’s summer homes, and he wasn’t about to let the chance go to waste. He scanned the lines of doors, then picked a bright pine green one that reminded him of his horse’s eyes.

He sheathed his sword as he opened the door, smiling as he thought about Dragon. She was a good horse, and served him well in his long trips. He knew she would be relaxing in her stall, probably being fed one too many apples by the stable boy.

______

Dashuri Halad
    @christlover

I have decided to bring in Connor O’Dan for now. Here is a character bio on Connor. I hope to actually add him by this weekend.

Connor comes from a future of our world. (The use of ‘a’ instead of ‘the’ is purposeful, there are multiple dimensions and times in the story.) He is short, 5’7, with a wiry build. He has black hair and dark brown eyes that are constantly lit from within by a mischievous twinkle.  Born a nephilim, his gifts of telekinesis and telepathy began to manifest themselves when he was a young child, but he only began to discover how to control them at 16. (He is 19 now.) The combination of his ever-present smirk and and the rebellious glint in his eyes led him to be constantly labeled as a troublemaker. Due to his relatively small size, (the average height for a male at this point in time is 6’2.) he quickly learned that the best way to avoid being picked on was to be funny. He always has a quip ready, however, they are usually inappropriate for the situation. One of his favorite hobbies is to prank the other members of his team, unfortunately this normally leads to him being covered in bruises. He believes himself to be God’s gift to women, but for the most part they can’t stand him. Despite his lightheartedness and lack of maturity, he can display surprising depths to those he trusts. Although he is slow to make true friends, once he has chosen someone to include in his inner circle he will bestow undying loyalty upon them. He has a soft spot for animals, and is especially proud of Molly, his dog. He enjoys learning, but hates it when he is forced to go to school. He would rather gain his knowledge through reading or hands on experiences. Despite his small size he is an accomplished athlete and enjoys participating in sports, specifically gymnastics. His normal attire is sweat pants and a t-shirt, as he values comfort much more than style. His weapon of choice is a bow, and for close range fighting he uses two long fighting daggers. He stores his weapons, as well as snacks and survival equipment in a small pocket dimension that a friend of his created. He is very headstrong, and will often make choices that put himself and others in danger merely to spite authority figures.  He also lacks seriousness, which has led to more than one of his scars.  He can be overbearing, and often becomes frustrated if his ideas are dismissed. Although he hides it well, he has a raging temper that can, at times, explode out of him and cause hurt to everyone around him, including those he loves.

Alright, I think that about covers it for Connor, if you have any other questions about him, just hit me up.

Again, I will try and add him at some time during this coming week. Look forward to being a part of this with y’all.

@anne_the_noob14
    @ariella-newheart @jennythefaun @naiya-dyani  @urwen-starial

"When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty."
    -V

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,171 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest