Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 293 total)
  • Author
    Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@this-is-not-an-alien

That is normal right?
      Normal people think like that…right?!

Uhhh, I don’t know…. I mean, we all let our minds wander, but I don’t think mine works quite like that 😛 But to read how Ehud’s works; it’s funny!

Yes, you are off topic, he he. But that’s totally fine. 😉 I don’t care, really. But don’t we have fifty stars on our flag? I think you got it backward, LOL The thirteen stripes represent the original thirteen colonies, and then there are fifty stars — one for each state. Btw, I looked this up, just to let you know 😉

And is Ehud turning into a sudden-go-to-consoler for everybody? This is so funny, guys…. And does anybody else notice how he goes to save someone and they end up saving him?

@mischievous-thwapling

Have fun!! (even though you probably won’t see this until you get back, lol).

Ha ha, thanks! 😀 I had fun, you can bet on that. But… wow. There is so much that happened in just one day and I want to tell y’all all about it, but it would take forever! We got there a day late bc we weren’t able to make it Friday, but I am sorta glad we didn’t. The others couldn’t sleep bc their tents were falling down (the wind was FIERCE) and one got a hole in it…. the young Explorers were screaming “we’re gonna die! we’re gonna die!” the Pioneers/Patriots had to sleep in the pick-up truck….. this is what they told us 😛 And that’s only what happened the night we weren’t there…..

And oh man! Ha ha! I was NOT thinking that through 😛 Of course no one would want to save Ahab! He’s a killer, a conspirator, offensive and snarky! Sorry, XD I guess they could kill the dino to save themselves, saving him in the process. And don’t worry about Colma not helping him; you’re just staying true to the character, and that’s what this is for. Making those decisions for her is what helps you to get to know her 😉

Life is like a coin. You may spend it any way you want, but you can only spend it once. ~?

That is so true!!!! We all need to remember that!!! I love it!!! 😀

@rusted-knight

GO ALLEN!!!!! 😀

We both started laughin' when the sky started to rain -- Get Along

Mischievous Thwapling
      @mischievous-thwapling

@wingiby-iggiby

Wingiby Iggiby wrote:
        “we’re gonna die! we’re gonna die!”
        I died from laughter reading that XD. But wow, that does sound crazy, yet so fun!

Wingiby Iggiby wrote:
        And don’t worry about Colma not helping him; you’re just staying true to the character, and that’s what this is for. Making those decisions for her is what helps you to get to know her
        Thank you!  That’s the thing about these character castles; they’re so fun and helpful for developing, but when it comes to interacting with the other peoples’ characters, it can get kinda tricky.  On this sort of note, I want to soon-ish bring in my villain from my book I’m writing. I just wanted to run that by you guys first, and I have to develop him a bit more (as in like give him a name XD) So could I bring him in?

And thanks!  I know, partly why I put the “Life is like a coin” quote is to remind myself of that every time I come on here; like a sticky note pasted to your mirror.  Just something to remind yourself of something important.  ‘Cause every time I see it, it makes me want to do something with my life and not waste it.

"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks." ~Gandalf

Mischievous Thwapling
        @mischievous-thwapling

Oops, the block quote-y things didn’t work :/

"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks." ~Gandalf

Cathy
          @this-is-not-an-alien

Uhhh, I don’t know…. I mean, we all let our minds wander, but I don’t think mine works quite like that But to read how Ehud’s works; it’s funny!

Oh. I guess that explains why i bump into to things waaay oftener than normal people:D

But don’t we have fifty stars on our flag? I think you got it backward, LOL The thirteen stripes represent the original thirteen colonies, and then there are fifty stars — one for each state. Btw, I looked this up, just to let you know

I love you! You actually looked that up and gosh darn I am bad at remembering things correctly ! Thank you thank you!

@mischievous-thwapling

wowwwwww that sounds sooooo fun!
            Don’t worry, Ehud will save him. But fail miserably:)

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Cathy
            @this-is-not-an-alien

darnation i typed in the wrong one sorry @wingiby-iggiby

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Wingiby Iggiby
              @wingiby-iggiby

@mischievous-thwapling

I died from laughter reading that XD. But wow, that does sound crazy, yet so fun!

Yeah, the Explorers (ages 9 to 12) are a bit on the crazier side of life, lol 😛 But guess what?! We had to sleep in our big 15 seater van! But sleeping is a lot different than sitting. I actually did quite well, and slept pretty good. But the other Pi/Pays….. they got stuck in the truck. They had the windows rolled up and then the locks started clicking on and off, and the lights started blinking (I didn’t know about this till next morning, I was with my mom and sis and slept like a deaf log)…. then they got stuck… and so most of them ended up in the truck bed.

Ah, don’t worry about the block quotes 😉 And yeah, interacting with other characters can be tricky, especially when you want to do it accurately! But it’s a great challenge! And sure! Bring him in!!! I can’t wait to see how he’ll get along with Ahab, lol BRING HIM ON!!!!!!!!!!!! btw, if you need a name I can try and come up with one. But if you’ve got it, awesome!

And your “life is like a coin” quote; that is such a good idea using it like a sticky note! I really wonder what I’ll do with my life some day. I better not waste it. We’ve only got one, unlike lucky Garfield and his wonderfully crazy nine lives, lol.

@this-is-not-an-alien

Oh. I guess that explains why i bump into to things waaay oftener than normal people:D

Ha! Ha! Ha! *bangs hand on desk each time I “ha” like Alf, ya know, that alien?* Well, I hope you don’t get a concussion. 😛

I love you! You actually looked that up and gosh darn I am bad at remembering things correctly ! Thank you thank you!

Aw, thanks! *then gives sheepish smile* but I didn’t remember myself, so that’s why I used the know-it-all Google search. 😛 And don’t worry about the tagging 😉

Mischievous Thwapling
                @mischievous-thwapling

@wingiby-iggiby

The poor Pi/Pays!  Lol, “slept like a deaf log” Love that analogy.

YES!!  I am horrible at creating good names.  If it’s no trouble, would ya mind trying to come up with a name for him? Pretty please with a cherry on top? 😛

*gasps* You’re right!!! I never thought ’bout it, but Garfield does nine lives!  Too bad he wastes his splendid nine lives on napping and eating lasagna all day 😛

This is pretty random, I was just thinking about it one day, and I wanted to tell you this:  I’m so blessed to have met you on the Wingfeather Saga website.  I feel like God really used that most precious book series to introduce me to every former Flabbit, and Story Embers, and everybody on SE.  You are honesty a better friend than a lot of my in-person relationships. I enjoy talking and writing with you so much :P. Thank you for putting up with me, and being a great friend, Wingiby.

Jasmine
                  @jasmine

Okay, this might be a little bit odd but my character is going to be a fox. I’ve always loved it when a fantasy book has a talking animal, like the chronicles of narnia for example. So let me know if that doesn’t work.

Name:Brin

Fur color: Auburn, with black legs and white under side

Eye color: golden

Personality: smart, fierce, and friendly when you get to know her, won’t fight a fight she can’t win Unless it’s for Someone or something she loves, or peanut butter.

strengths: Good eyesight  and sense of smell but has extremely good hearing and is fast and nimble.She

Weaknesses: hot weather, can’t swim very well and  is terrified of high places.

P.s.could Someone let me know what is going on in the castle right now?

Wingiby Iggiby
                    @wingiby-iggiby

@mischievous-thwapling

The poor pi/pays!  Lol, “slept like a deaf log” Love that analogy.

Ha ha, thank you 😀 I thought I’d add to the “slept like a log” classic; make it more Wingibyish 😛

YES!!  I am horrible at creating good names.  If it’s no trouble, would ya mind trying to come up with a name for him? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Sure! I’ll definitely try! 😉 Let me think of some on the spur of the moment… (btw, I accidentally deleted some names I meant to put in, and so I couldn’t get them back. I was sad, ’cause I like a few of them and then couldn’t remember them! Ugg 🙁 ) :

Uziah; Rec; Turner; Jerezow; Wendell; Cando; Libinizer; Philips; Liko; Philemon; Check; Clyde; Utip; Ono; Lako; Jakra; Sanway *takes deep breath* Indio; Kayson; Flen; Fleck; Kick; Osbard; Richard Hendrick, Bart Gibley, Zack Richardson, Zaneyerd Henderson, Robert Clyde. *phew* You don’t have to use these exactly (or at all!); but I hope they help, ’cause my creative juices are drained! 😛

Ah, right? But actually, I watched an episode of his (the older originals from the 1980’s, not the shiny new ones) and his nine lives were, uh, how do I put this? Odd. He was a cave-cat first, killed by a giant Odie who dropped a tree on him. He was also a kingly Egyptian cat, and a stunt cat, among other oddities…. Strange, huh? 😛 It’s weird to think of him doing anything but being a couch potato.

Oh, Thwapling! Thank you so much!! That really really touched my heart! I have to say, I totally agree with you. God used the Wingfeather Saga. I know he did with me. It brought me to the wonderful, beautiful, breathtaking, awe-inspiring, wide-spread world (I can’t use enough adjectives) of Aerwiar when our own world shut down. It brought me to the Wingfeather Forum, and, as you said, to Story Embers. I got to meet all of y’all, and while I know relationships over a computer are a lot different than in-person ones, I’ve got the best friends on any digital platform anywhere. I really enjoy talking with you too, and I can relax ‘cause I know you won’t think I’m goofy (although I am)! And you are so easy to put up with bc there is nothing to put up with about you, lol. You and all I’ve met on here are so nice. You guys have really helped me to have at least some form of communication with friends, considering the pandemic and then our move. Thank you, Thwapling, for being an equally — if not better than I — friend 😀

*pause*

And I just realized how long that was. 😛

Cathy
                      @this-is-not-an-alien

@wingiby-iggiby
                        …What is a normal person train of thought like? Is it really like how you read in books? Is that accurate? On the one hand that sounds boring but on the other hand man that would be awesome if my brain didn’t scream in total technicolor 24/7. What is a normal train of thought like? Does that make life easier? What are the pros and cons to that?
                        @jasmine
                        Oh Ehud will love Brin! He loves just about any fuzzy animal!

“What can we do_?”
                        “Uh…me?” Ehud pointed to himself as he shrank back a couple inches and instinctively glanced behind him just in case there was magically some other person she might be talking to. Ax Girl was crying. Why was this still happening to him? This is awkward. At least it’s less awkward when it’s not a grownup venting/showing their real emotions around him. No, seriously, he is the absolute last person you want practical advice him. Why does everyone do this to him, people constantly felt more comfortable just letting him soak all their emotions in…
                        Ok, she just exhausted so much energy being the tough one for so long and needed someone to take over or give her a break for a while. Different scenario from Erin because she…he didn’t know but it was different. Personally, he felt safer with Ax Girl than Miss Murder. Did she really belong in this sort of life and death situation or was she really shoved into it? This was nerve-racking, he better not steal anything. He could get away with it, it’d be exciting–
                        “Um…oh, uh, I guess the best thing we could do…if we could get outta here, we’ll probably be safer with Erin cos she’s gotta gun. If we could get some water anywhere around here I can filter it until it’s clean enough to drink.” Ehud rubbed his hand through his hair, mostly to keep his sticky fingers away from somebody’s pockets “Our best strategy would be to re-group and find a safe place to camp for the night…”
                        He wasn’t really sure what to do with her. She wasn’t one of those naturally pragmatic and tough-as-nails persons who enjoy adrenaline or climbing power rungs or taking advantage of people to live. But she was also used to taking care of herself and fending on her own so it was one of those she’d probably want to be comforted but wouldn’t accept it sort of things. Maybe he should take a course on How To Give Physical Reassurance Without Being Pulverized some time in the near future. Very tenitively, he gave her a friendly jostle.
                        “Hey, what’s the worst that could happen?”
                        “We die.” she murmured tonelessly
                        “That’s not the worst that could happen; we could be seriously maimed, blood everywhere, limbs all across the ground! And then we die.” He chirped, searching her face for signs of delight (sometimes reverse-psychology worked). She was clenching her fist and he wasn’t sure whether she was going to hit him or not.
                        “Or we could live!” Frankly, so far she was his favorite human in this castle thingy. That didn’t count for much because he was terrified of everyone and everything here but…
                        In any case, the best way to help her emotionally was to foster letting her work it out on her own terms and maybe to get her talking to get her out of her head. She might want to vent but she might not. He liked her, she was cool
                        “You and Rosy would get along great.” Oh. He said that outloud. Again. Well shoot, he might as well keep talking if it’ll distract her until she felt more herself. “She’s so self-confident and in control and chill and…” Basically everything he was not. He really missed her.
                        That wasn’t helpful, that wasn’t going to help Ax Girl who was…actually half-way listening now probably to avoid paying attention to everything else going on. Ehud shook off his train of thought and tried to get back to what he was doing. He really needed to stop calling her Ax Girl. It was embarrassing.
                        There was this nagging instinct in the back of his mind that she might have lied about her name-which-he-promptly-forgot but he didn’t truth his own instincts enough to bother about that.
                        “What’s your name?” he asked abruptly

Rusted Knight
                        @rusted-knight

@jasmine

Well, everyone is in a very large greenhouse after being teleported there by a trap book. There are raptors prowling around and everyone just survived a battle with one. Everything else is being developed on the fly so there is plenty of room for other species of animals to be introduced or characters dropped in.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Wingiby Iggiby
                          @wingiby-iggiby

@jasmine

Brin sounds awesome! I can’t wait to see how Ahab will react to a talking fox, lol. And that she’ll fight for peanut butter, I totally get that 😉 Also, what’s going on is just what Rusted Knight said.

@this-is-not-an-alien

Hmmm…. I am not sure how my brain works, since it’s the only one I’ve ever known. But I suppose those in books work pretty well; now, not everybody is a Sherlock Holmes, so you’ve got to make some exceptions 😛 But when my mind trails off to something else instead of working on that math problem or focusing on that grammar question, that can get annoying. But I think I think in color though, too! I wonder, if those who can only see in black and white think in black and white too…..

@everybody

I just wanted to thank y’all for being so kind and accepting of, well, me 😛 Bc, ya know, I can be a bit too much of me sometimes, he he. You guys just “go with the flow,” if you get what I mean. I hope I’m conveying this right…. Anyway, I love talking with y’all and am really enjoying this. I didn’t know how much I loved acting as Ahab until I got on here! Sometimes getting inside someone else’s mind, especially a bad guy, can be an exciting ride — especially when you discover new things about them! Now, that’s not saying I like to be mean, lol. I just like the change of dynamics 😛

Also, I’m going to try to post about him tomorrow!

Wingiby Iggiby
                            @wingiby-iggiby

Ahab had listened to old soldiers relate tales of near death they had had in their youth. He had heard his comrades give breathless tales of near meetings with their Maker. He had tried to picture in his mind what seeing your entire life fly before your eyes looked liked; for that is what his buddies said it had seemed. He himself had had close encounters before, but not like staring into the jaws of death — literally.

But just then, it clicked. And he got it. He understood what they had meant. The steaming, stinking breath of the raptor faded; as well as the gleaming eye and the saliva-dripping dagger-teeth. In just a few seconds that seemed like a lifetime — like hours and days and months and years — his boyhood, his young adult years, and his up-to-that-point manhood flashed in his mind and in front of his face; yet it seemed far away.

It was like he was at a play-house, a theater, watching from the back of the room as actors portrayed his life from infancy to now in stunning accuracy and on stunning sets. But yet, they seemed to be right up against his nose. He winced as he saw the fights in the school-yard…. His first battle…. Randy’s death…. And everything after that. Every evil, horrible thing he had ever done… every life he had ever ended in a skirmish…. Every selfish decision, every moment of pain —

And then it was gone.

His life had ended.

Or was about to.

The tongue was basically lolling in his face when the little lighting dart shot into the monster’s neck like a sparking, staticky shooting star. “The little winged fellow?” thought Ahab just before it fell.

The dinosaur had barely any time to roar as it collapsed right on top of the man. Ahab had no time to shout either. He didn’t even have time to move. He fell backwards and crashed into a spiky bush with the raptor on top of him — and he would’ve died had not Allen’s blade been full of an electric charge that helped to speed up the paralyzing of the giant beast. It flailed and moaned, just missing Ahab’s face with it’s jaws and ripping into his shoulder. Ahab howled in agony and instinctively moved his other arm before the dino slammed into it, shoving his balled fist against the side of its face. The creature’s claws scratched his skin and it’s cold scales and putrid smell made him want to gag — similar to the feeling he got when going down the stone steps to the Gapes below the Palace Hybern.

His arm and side were warm with blood. And he couldn’t breathe. The weight of the monster pushed against his chest; and as it died, it slowed down, which made it dead weight. Weight that wouldn’t move. Ahab almost panicked. He did panic. His heart raced a hundred miles an hour and his mind screamed at him to do something. He tried pushing with his good arm, but that wasn’t enough. His legs were trapped. If only he could get them free — but he couldn’t, could he? He shoved harder, until he could pull up his knees. And then get his feet on the rapidly cooling body. And then kick.

He was able to push the creature’s body off of his own far enough so that he could roll away in the split second before it dropped on him again. And then he lay there, panting and gasping for air, his chest heaving and his arm red and sticky. He sat up, and put his hand on his shoulder. He winced. It was bad. And what made it worse was that Erin would probably find him, or Calixta, or Ehud, or even that magical Allen fella. And they wouldn’t offer to patch up his wound or give him a drink.

No. They wouldn’t. Ahab hung his head and gritted his teeth. No. Because of who he had become. He knew he was wrong. He knew it. His deepest heart hadn’t been fooled, and although he had continually pushed away his conscience, it was still there. But he had come so far already, even though others had had to pay for it. He could’ve been better. He didn’t have to turn that way. But he did. And right now, he couldn’t turn back. No; right now, it was too late. And right now, he had to stop the flowing blood.

He sat where he was, next to the deceased dino, and tore the bottom of his tunic off, and then ripped it again. How he wished he had some water, or healing balm. But he would have to make do with what he had for now. Ahab dabbed at his shoulder with one strip of cloth, and then wrapped it the best he could with the other. He stood up, wincing at the pain. He would have to find some clean water, and some sort of healing plant. He had to keep it from getting infected. And he had to keep from being murdered.

Like you murdered so many.

Rusted Knight
                              @rusted-knight

Well Hurricane Sally is just about to hit us so I might not be able to post for a bit. If I can catch a hole, I’ll drop in.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Wingiby Iggiby
                                @wingiby-iggiby

@rusted-knight

WHAT!?! You live down there in the path of Sally?! So cool!! I’ve never experienced a hurricane. The closet I got to it was a tornado warning in Illinois, and the tornado didn’t even strike us. I hope you stay safe; you, your family, and your house. I’ll be praying for you 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 293 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Sign up below to learn how to ace story structure.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Pin It on Pinterest