fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,786 through 1,800 (of 2,131 total)
  • Author
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

If you’re reading that you want to read it absolutely!!! *If that isn’t what you meant oops XD* I’ll put you on the list of beta-readers!

Yup, you got it! Put me on the list. <3

Ahh, you’re a wonderful artist! He looks good and (this is gonna sound weird) actually plausible. What I mean is you must have a good mind-to-hand-to-another’s-mind communication, because his looks didn’t shock me. So you must have not only drawn him well, you must have described him well. 🙂 Hope that was a compliment and not an insult; I’m discovering a new ability of mine: grossly insulting people on accident. XD

@rose-colored-fancy

Quin

Liorah squatted down on his level and tried to catch his eye. He looked up at her. She was blushing so much he knew she must be hugely embarrassed. He’d felt it a thousand times.

great. Not the right response.

“I’m sorry, I–” got it wrong again.

“That’s too kind of you, but you don’t need to.” She laughed a fake little nervous laugh.

“The only people who ever call me Your Highness are my mother when she’s scolding me, foreign ambassadors who detest me and try to hide it and certain people when they’re trying to be sarcastic.”

Quin blinked. She talked faster than people at home. So I insulted her instead of honoring her.

“Please, just call me Liorah, I can’t stand titles.”

Liorah. To a princess? Quin’s mind felt a little numb. His Majesty, Anthony XII, King of the Vegada Circle…He’d heard it a thousand times. He’d never seen the King, but he’d had it drilled into his head from infancy what to do if he met any of the royal family. Bow for a duke. Kneel for a prince or a king. Lie flat if he was angry.

Quin’s eyes flickered toward the princess, and he resisted the urge to flatten himself on the stone floor. If she’s this flustered because I used her title, obeisance would be a bad idea…

She stood up and stuck out her hand.

On an impulse Quin recoiled, then checked himself. He looked into her face. It still looked as awkward and confounded as ever. I know that feeling.

“Just– ignore the princess thing. Everyone else does,” she said, sounding out of her depth and a little shy.

All at once, Locran laughed.  Liorah shot him a deadly look, but he only laughed harder.

A little flame of anger welled up inside of him at the sound.

Skip it, Locran. Can’t you see she’s embarrassed?

How many times had he been embarrassed, and someone only made it worse. he made up his mind, and took Liorah’s hand.

She was stronger than she looked, and it seemed to cause her no effort to pull him to a standing position.

He could feel his own cheeks reddening as Locran’s laughter boomed in his ears. haven’t you ever done anything that made you looks stupid.

Locran tried to speak, but couldn’t through his laughter. “It’s ok-okay-I-I’m-not-laughing at you. He burst into another guffaw that choked his words.

“I’m not laughing at you boy. Its just I’m not used to seeing – this princess here actually get treated like a princess. Jeepers, this cracks me up.”

We can all see that.

”Will you ever just mind your own business?” Liorah thundered.

Quin looked at her. Both their cheeks were as red as apples, and Quin could feel the warmth of embarrassment all the way down his neck. Suddenly he realized he was still holding the princess’s hand. He dropped it like it was hot, muttering something unintelligible.

Locran leaned against a boulder, still grinning.

“I’ve known royalty you know,” he said seriously. “Smug seaweed brains the lot of them. They expect the golden treatment just because of their special bloodline. So the fact that you don’t want to be treated like one – I can respect that.” He nodded at her sightly to emphasize his point. “Who knows. Maybe I judged you too harshly, human.”

Liorah looked ready to fume, but Quin caught something in her eyes that went beyond anger.

trapped. the word stung. She feels trapped. there was a look in those dark [she has dark eyes?] eyes so sharp it hurt. Well, she’s not the only one.

Quin shifted his weight on his crutch. The ghost pain was coming back. He grit his teeth. Flashbacks, too. At least I’ll be able to feel my left foot again.

@rose-colored-fancy
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

here you go. I don’t think I did anything original for Liorah, or Locran but change what you will. Also, this happened before the newcomers and Niarok, so also feel free to read, enjoy, and disregard it. 🙂 I have the feeling that Quin and Liorah are going to get along great and like Neasa said, an unlikely three-some. 🙂

Hier steche ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir. Amen. ~Martin Luther

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@denali-christianson

yay! This oughta be cool. Let’s see if Qatar has a gentlemanly side, after all. 😉

Qatar

The girl froze. The eyes that looked up into his were big and concerned.

“You…want to kill him?”

Qatar looked past her, as if he could look through the rocky wall and into some other time when things were happier.

“No.” he turned back to look at her.”It was just a bad joke–bad timing, I suppose.”

He looked at the hand that held the knife Quin had cut him with. “I’ll take that.”

Her head snapped up, her face dark and skeptical.

“Don’t worry. I wouldn’t do anything to him–or you or myself. I like murder and death just as little as you do.” He shifted his shoulders as if something in his chest hurt. “Especially just now.”

besides, it might be useful to have a knife here. Everyone but himself and Quin were armed. His knife still lay in the field where he’d set it, a moment before appearing in this dark prison.

Slowly, the girl relaxed her grip on the knife, and Qatar reached down and took it.

As he felt the handle, he couldn’t help but run his fingers over the place Quin’s hand had been. Little brother! You’re the worst.

He looked up at the girl, and realized that he was standing right in front of her, blocking any way of escape. The way she was pressed against the wall told him that she might want to get away.

He sighed. Ever since the day It happened he’d wanted to be able to be himself with someone. The Quin he had known had died with Mama, and Garrick never would be the friend Quin had been. Even if he is a blood brother, and Quin is only half.

His eyes strayed to where Quin was, standing in front of Liorah…holding her hand?

He raised his eyebrows. Okay, little brother.

He looked down at Evie. Her eyes were like steel, but deep inside he thought he saw something else. The same look he had seen in Quin’s eyes, and Grace’s. Fright. He took a step back. “I’m Qatar. Your name is…?”

She relaxed a little as he moved away, and licked her lips.

~~~

No idea if any of this is correct–change what you will. Also, what is Evie’s height, eye color, hair color? I feel like I got it wrong, because I’m perpetually forgetting those things, lol. Take it from here, I can’t wait to see where this goes. Qatar’s heart is more than half surrendered already, but don’t tell him I said that, or I might be in trouble.

author’s note: No, Qatar was not contemplating anything. He never would really do anything to hurt Quin, as the challenge showed.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@emily-waldorf

OOOOOHHH this is gonna be FUN! XD haha you definitely got Evie right. At least where she is in life right now…

She’s 5’6, long brown hair, and brown, slightly hazel, eyes. Her hair is down right now, and she’s wearing a tattered muddy brown training dress, which is regrettable since she didn’t bring anything to change into… XD

Also I love your new pfp!!!! 😀

Also @inkhorn just ignore this whole exchange since it’s happening before Khalon got there! 🙂

Evie

The man looked into the distance, over Evie’s shoulder. “No.” he turned back to look at her. ”It was just a bad joke–bad timing, I suppose,” he said.

She sighed.

Somehow she figured there was more malice under there than he let on.

“I’ll take that,” Qatar said, his gaze straying to where Evie still gripped the knife.

Evie’s heart filled with dread. She didn’t feel good about giving master dark-eyes the weapon.

She still had her own dagger, but still.

No.

“Don’t worry. I wouldn’t do anything to him–or you or myself. I like murder and death just as little as you do.” He shifted his shoulders. “Especially just now.”

Evie’s lips turned up in a wry, humorless smile.

I like it more than you know.

If anyone ever saw her secret musings about battle, they’d lock her up for mass murder.

But she did believe him. She relaxed her grip on the knife somewhat reluctantly, allowing him to take it from her.

He loomed over her, the height difference between them seeming huge.

Evie suddenly felt trapped. Very, very trapped.

He had a weapon now.

She pressed herself against the wall, plotting a route of escape in case Qatar decided to go rogue on her.

He was currently looking at Quin.

Evie sighed.

Why were siblings so… sibling-ish?

She glared up at Qatar, eyes impassive.

But when he looked back at her, he seemed to register the apprehension beneath the surface.

He took a step back. “I’m Qatar. Your name is?…”

Evie relaxed. He didn’t have ill intentions. She licked her lips, suddenly aware of how thirsty she was.

She’d have to ask Niarok or somebody nice like him for water.

“I’m Evie,” she said. “I…um. What’s your story?”

The haunted look in Qatar’s eyes immediately told her she’d asked exactly the wrong question, but she wasn’t backing down now.

"Where there's life, there's hope; and need of vittles."
    -Samwise Gamgee

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mamaauthoress

is it … bewitched somehow, to clean the air you breathe?”

Nobody:

Not a soul:

Rúan: WITCHCRAFT????

I love how that was his literal first reaction XD

Oh my gosh, that’s an amazing idea.   Like, all of a sudden, Rúan has telepathy instead of elemental fire. Amazing.

Hm … maybe telepathy would work, since he’s not too considerate of others’ feelings, he could peer inside their head to see what’s really going on … maybe he’ll learn something …

That’s literally the funniest power you could possibly give him XD I’m just imagining what he’ll see/hear and it gets funnier the longer I think about it.

Aydin is just like internally screaming or making up very poetic sentences to describe trauma and Liorah’s thoughts are like… the Mii theme played on a kazoo. (Look that up if you want a laugh, it sounds indescribably stupid. XD)

(And I realize I’m making a lot of jokes about Liorah being dumb and I want to clarify, she is very intelligent, she just… doesn’t think. Ever. And I love roasting my characters XD)

Once she finds out she would absolutely look him dead in the eye and mentally play like two measures of the most annoying tune she can think of until it gets stuck in his head.

Oh, goodness, I swear I’m taking this seriously, that’s just the first thing I thought of. XD Liorah has that effect on me.

Also … wow, that drawing of Aydin is spot-on. Great job!! *clap clap*

I might pull up a drawing of Rúan …

Thank you so much! 😀 Yesss!! Please do!! I wanna see it!

@denali-christianson

AAAAHHHH I keep forgetting to mention this but I LOVE ACYN!!!!!!!! It was so fun having him interact with Niarok 1.0… ya know, weirdly withdrawn, slightly rude Niarok? Before he became his own sweet adorable person? XD I love him!!!

Thank you! Why did I have literally no idea that Acyn had fans?? I thought he was kinda fine, maybe just because he’s often hard for me to write XD

I have absolutely no clue how I’d get Niarok to actually fight an ally, but um… I’ll work on him. XD

A while ago we pulled this kinda gladiatorial thing where two of our characters had to fight or the castle would kill both. That worked nicely and we wrote some fun fight scenes that way!

Why, why, why, why can I relate to this so much???? Lol that may or may not be my protective system… Although mine is a bit more like put up an angry, icy wall that people can’t get through… lo

Oh, mood. Totally same XD Why do you think I was writing it??

OOOOHHHH but see, my friend, it’s going to be soooo fun having Niarok see right through the facade and then trying to figure out how to help gaahhhh he’s back to full-on dad status.

That’s going to be the best and Liorah will just be like “Me, insecure??? HahAHaha, NeVeR!!” XD

AAAAHHHH this will be sooooooo weird… Niarok’s ability is literally discernment. Yila’s is super strength and sharp hearing. Ummmmm

Okayyyyy

This is an amazing idea but like…

uuuuhhhhhh…

Okay, they wouldn’t be themselves without that, so if you want you can let them keep it and just add a random one for funsies XD Or if you have another idea to make it work I’d love to hear it!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I loved listening to the rant lollll we should totally do this in a bit after we’ve had some time to assimilate master Khalon further into our cult I MEAN FRIENDLY WRITING GROUP

Oh, no, we are abSOLutEly not a cult. NoOpe.

Oh goodness. *facepalms* I see utter chaos in our future. As in… Liorah tries to be Liorah around Yila and Yila just kinda… casually strangles her before she realizes what’s happening.

uuugghhhhhhhh

Although this could also be really cool.

We should probably try to make Yila and Liorah friends just as quickly as humanly possible to keep the blood to a minimum. XD

I knowwww… Ugh, Liorah grabbed the outline and ran with it XD That wasn’t the plan XD

It would be funny though, but you can also just have Yila dislike her if that’s in character! There only needs to be one insult and Liorah will loathe her so that’s not a problem XD

I LOVE ITTTTT!!!!!!! It’s not quite how I pictured him, but goodness, I love it!!!! XD

Thank you so much! 😀 How did you picture him differently? (My mom said the exact same thing XD)

@emily-waldorf

Yup, you got it! Put me on the list. <3

Absolutely! *Happy dance*

Ahh, you’re a wonderful artist! He looks good and (this is gonna sound weird) actually plausible. What I mean is you must have a good mind-to-hand-to-another’s-mind communication, because his looks didn’t shock me. So you must have not only drawn him well, you must have described him well.

Thank you so much!! That’s something I sometimes struggle with and it makes me so happy when people go like “Oh, that totally could be him”! It’s something really hard because it’s kind of vague, I could describe him in extreme detail but that wouldn’t really get a picture across, so I have to use a limited description and rely on personality for the rest.

And getting personality across in a painting is hard. 

Hope that was a compliment and not an insult; I’m discovering a new ability of mine: grossly insulting people on accident. XD

LOL, mood XD That was absolutely a great compliment though! I really appreciate it!

Quin’s eyes flickered toward the princess, and he resisted the urge to flatten himself on the stone floor. If she’s this flustered because I used her title, obeisance would be a bad idea…

Liorah would have just instantly died XD

[she has dark eyes?]

Not really! Really light brown, kinda warm amber/gold!

Also, this happened before the newcomers and Niarok, so also feel free to read, enjoy, and disregard it.   I have the feeling that Quin and Liorah are going to get along great and like Neasa said, an unlikely three-some.

It was really fun to read! I think Liorah really likes Quin, she may be in the process of adopting him XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@denali-christianson

OOOOOHHH this is gonna be FUN! XD haha you definitely got Evie right. At least where she is in life right now… She’s 5’6, long brown hair, and brown, slightly hazel, eyes. Her hair is down right now, and she’s wearing a tattered muddy brown training dress, which is regrettable since she didn’t bring anything to change into… XD Also I love your new pfp!!!! 😀

SO. FUN. yes! I have no idea how Qatar reacts to romance, so…hold on, folks, we’re going for broke! 😀

Okay, thanks for telling me. I’m glad I got her right. XD

Why thank you!

@rose-colored-fancy

And getting personality across in a painting is hard.

Do you use oils? Acrylics? You’re a good artist!

Liorah would have just instantly died XD

It would have been amazing. Locran would have made everything so much worse and everybody would have been staring at one another, not sure if they should like or hate each other, lol.

Not really! Really light brown, kinda warm amber/gold!

Ok! Good to know. That fits her better, anyway.

It was really fun to read! I think Liorah really likes Quin, she may be in the process of adopting him XD

😀 It was fun to write. yeah…I hope she doesn’t get turned off by him understanding so much of what she’s feeling, and I hope he doesn’t get turned off by her heavy-handed momma-will-take-care-of-you-now approach, lol.

Absolutely! *Happy dance*

*another happy dance, out of step with yours but just as enthusiastic*

calidris
    @calidris

@rosecoloredfancy

My biggest issue for him is that I don’t have anything for him to do in the later books!

laughs in standalone novel

But seriously though, that is an entire mood

Also, the idea of giving/taking powers is great!  Basil and Saskia are both super powered, and you know how op Sasha is lol

Although, his main powers are already gone by proxy of no longer having access to the Veil…I wonder how he’ll react to having his super soldier strength and reflexes taken away as well…

THAT ISN’T AN IMPROVEMENT!! You do see how that is worse, right?

No?  XD

At least Saskia knows how to semi-properly socialize!  And she made a lifelong friend and ally!

Ok, ok, I’m just as bad as the rest of you

@inkhorn
    imagine my surprise seeing that Khalon doesn’t have a traumatic backstory!  And no worries, your characters will see a ton of development once you drop them in (*side eyes Basil*).  It just kinda happens lol

@denali-christianson

You would not believe how many times when I’m depressed or bored, I go and write a scene with Evie just so I can get my tears out.

I feel so attacked right now

Good to know I’m not the only one who does that XD

@mamaauthoress
    that was perfect.  I’m so looking forward to seeing the interactions between our guys – they both have good intentions, but the execution could certainly use a little bit of work lol

And I would love to see a Ruan drawing!

*laughs as one fey*

calidris
    @calidris

(And I realize I’m making a lot of jokes about Liorah being dumb and I want to clarify, she is very intelligent, she just… doesn’t think. Ever. And I love roasting my characters XD)

@rose-colored-fancy
    *adds to the mental list of similarities between Liorah and Skia*

I hope he doesn’t get turned off by her heavy-handed momma-will-take-care-of-you-now approach, lol.

EHEHEHE

Sasha:

She’s so pretty.

And strong.

She’s way taller than Skia, and her posture is way better than Skia’s, and she’s even wearing a dress.  I’ve never seen Skia wear a dress before.  She’ll have to step up her game if she wants to compete.  I smile a little, just to myself.  She’s going to be so jealous when she sees us togther, I just know it.

I’ve been standing around for the last half an hour or so, waiting for all of these other guys to leave.  It’s not that I’m scared of them or anything, it’s just that they’re extra competition.  Believe me, I like competition, but there’s so many of them that they’ll just take the attention off of me.  Besides, they’re all very plain, so they’ll all just distract from my striking appearance.

I’m waiting for this little kid to leave for awhile now.  If he just leaves I’ll finally be able to make my move – oh come on, he’s bowing?

The girl bends down to meet him, then firmly takes his hand and pulls him back up.  That’s hardly fair.  But I guess I can’t complain.  I haven’t even made an effort to introduce myself yet, and I think now is the perfect time.  I throw back my shoulders and peel myself away from the sidelines.  In a flash, I’ve got the boy’s shoulder.  With a flick of my wrist he’s flying away, poor guy.  I’ve got her full attention now, and she’s staring at me, jaw slack with astonishment.  I grin.  Impressive, I know. 

All of a sudden, sparks collide in my vision – and I know it’s not the chemistry because something heavy just rammed full force into my side.  The floor heaves, tilting up and slamming into my face full force.  I slowly open my eyes, pain echoing in my head.

What just happened?

Saskia:

I hurl myself forward, catching the boy in my arms as he flies through the air.  That was close.  He wasn’t in danger of any serious injury, but man that would have hurt!  And he’s disabled, at that, and everyone knows hurting disabled kids is far worse than hurting normal kids.  I lean back, adjusting his weight across my arms.  He’s a very tall kid, that’s for sure.  He’s about as big as I am, but he’s small and skinny.  I once had to carry a guy at least a foot taller and about twice his weight, so this is easy.

I throw a quick glance back at Basil.  He’s still sitting on the floor, talking up to a tall redhead guy.  I can tell he’s supremely uncomfortable, and I can’t say his new aquaintance looks any better.

I shake my head.  Now is not the time.  If he’s already made it this far with his aquaintance I’m sure he’ll be fine.

“You okay, kid?”  I set him down gently, propping him up as he scrambles to find his footing.  I frown.   He’s missing his foot, but he doesn’t seem to have much support.  He should have a crutch or something … oh of course.  Basil’s sitting on it.  I grit my teeth.  That will have to wait.  The crutch is important, but I have business with Sasha.  Messing with a kid is one thing, but messing with a disabled kid?

I stretch out my shoulders, gaze locked between Sasha and the tall girl.  He’s flirting, and doing a terrible job as well.

Let me rephrase that:  How insecure do you have to be to get jealous of a kid talking to a pretty girl?

Sasha bobs in my vision as I close the distance, boots hitting the stony floor with steely precision.  I brace myself for the impact, and throw all of my 115 pounds into his side, stumbling forward as he crashes to the floor.  He’s looking up at me with the dumbest grin smeared across his face.

“I knew you’d be jealous!”

What in blazes are you even on about?”  Idiot.  I was going to yell at him about throwing the poor kid, but I can already tell it’s not going to register.  I glance up at the tall girl and sigh. “I’m so sorry about that,” I huff.  I still feel just a little shaken, between catching a giant kid midair and bodyslamming the idiot.  “Name’s Skia.  If he gives you anymore trouble, give me a holler and I’ll try to take care of him.”

@rose-colored-fancy
    @emily-waldorf

This post was ummm interesting so feel free to change anything you want! @emily-waldorf something tells me Skia might have a rather broad view of what exactly makes one a “kid” lol.  I’m not exactly sure what she’s thinking right now, but I  know Quin doesn’t look like a child!  Feel free to ignore that part if you want – I thought it would be a funny misunderstanding on her part lol

I got ten degrees of second hand embarrassment writing Sasha’s pov btw

Also, gotta love how Sasha interprets Liorah’s shock as attraction.  Maybe it has more to do with the fact that you just, idk, literally threw the designated baby of the group like some sort of flour sack?

*laughs as one fey*

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@calidris that was great. Poor Quin is going to be sooo bamboozled, this is gonna be hilarious.

Everyone: WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU?!

Shasha: It’s okay, everybody at home admires me too.

calidris
    @calidris

@emily-waldorf I’m glad you like it 😂

I’m cringing so hard every time i read his pov, though.  He’s so embarrassing

*laughs as one fey*

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

KHALON

Khalon was beginning to relax. He was still alive and the other people had not made any moves to hurt him. Perhaps, this would be like a wacky vacation. At least he got a break from Cahira.

Out of the corner of his eye, Khalon saw ghost guy step out from the shadows. He strutted to the tall girl. The man watched the girl and the boy who was missing a leg with arrogance and confidence clearly scrawled over his face. As the girl was helping the boy stand, the man abruptly  grabbed the boy and flung him across the room.

Khalon leapt to his feet. Pain shot through his legs, but more pressing matters were on his mind. How did he do that?! I know abnormally strong people but this ridiculous! 

The young woman who had been sitting next to the man with the contraption on his face moved with unnatural speed and caught the boy with ease. She set him down before flying into ghost guy.

A sick feeling grew in Khalon’s stomach. Who are these people? They’re stronger and faster than any Blessed I’ve met. They’re definitely from a different world. Why did this have to happen to me?

Khalon leaned against the wall; the pain in his legs finally registering. Suddenly he stood straight up. “My ability,” he said in a whisper. Why wasn’t I there to catch the boy? I should have been there! What’s happening?! 

Desperation filled Khalon. I’m losing my ability! Keep calm. There’s no need to announce to the super soldier/assassins that your only strength is leaving. Breathe. What do I have to do? One, make allies. Two, do NOT give anyone a reason to hurt you. And three…don’t panic. I’m trained for this or at least a situation like this where I’m armed and not losing my ability.

Khalon sank back against the wall. He was almost starting to wish that he was back with Cahira. Annoyed and frustrated were better than hurting and dead.

@everyone

I decided to make the losing of powers process for Khalon a gradual thing.

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

Do you use oils? Acrylics? You’re a good artist!

Digital! I use a textured brush to mimic actual brushstrokes because I like the way it looks, but it’s all digital.

It would have been amazing. Locran would have made everything so much worse and everybody would have been staring at one another, not sure if they should like or hate each other, lol.

Liorah would have instantly just perished from embarrassment. XD (Honestly I think I would have too purely out of sympathy.)

It was fun to write. yeah…I hope she doesn’t get turned off by him understanding so much of what she’s feeling, and I hope he doesn’t get turned off by her heavy-handed momma-will-take-care-of-you-now approach, lol.

I can’t wait to see how it goes XD I have the feeling Liorah would intimidate and probably kinda scare Quin XD

@calidris

Also, the idea of giving/taking powers is great!  Basil and Saskia are both super powered, and you know how op Sasha is lol

Although, his main powers are already gone by proxy of no longer having access to the Veil…I wonder how he’ll react to having his super soldier strength and reflexes taken away as well…

They’re all going to freak out. I feel like Basil especially isn’t going to take it easily XD I love how half the characters are going to lose their advantage and those who don’t have powers are suddenly just… vastly overpowered XD

No?  XD

At least Saskia knows how to semi-properly socialize!  And she made a lifelong friend and ally!

Ok, ok, I’m just as bad as the rest of you

You are. One of us! One of usss!! XD

… I have never denied my cruelty to my characters. 😁

She’ll have to step up her game if she wants to compete.  I smile a little, just to myself.  She’s going to be so jealous when she sees us togther, I just know it.

AHAHA SASHA YOU’RE SO STUPID HONEY XD

She literally hurled him to the ground while possibly swearing at him and his first thought is that she likes him?? He is shockingly obtuse XD

Ohmy gosh that was just the funnies thing I’ve read in an eternity XD Liorah is going to absolutely murder him and I’m sorry in advance XD

Also I’m changing the plan Liorah is going to loathe him anyway so I’m going to go with her already being in love with Ferran (which is actually canon so I can develop that)

Which is just another reason she’s going to make an enemy of Sasha in like five seconds flat XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@denali-christianson

AWWWW my heart is on fire eeeeee 😍 this has to happen or. I. WILL. GO. MAD!!!! My baby Lorcan really needs something good in his life😭

Neasa

@this-is-not-an-alien

HA!!! btw I just about died reading that post, LOL!

LOLLLLL thanks Cathy! I live for making people laugh with my stories. I feel like that could be a hidden talent of mine – good news here actually, recently I wrote the script for a short film for a group college assignment. I accidently made it a comedy and it went down really well with my class and lecturer. Who knows…? Maybe God infused me with a hidden talent for creating comedy haha😊

In case you haven’t noticed, Lorcan is exactly how I am in real life…;) If Lorcan were here, we would be thick as thieves🤣

Lorcan: (rolls his eyes) You wish.

Me: Ah don’t be shy, you know its true! Best buddies riiight?

Lorcan: At this rate you’re asking to be thrown off a cliff.

Me: Hahaha you’re so funny! Thats such a great joke, you always make me laugh-

Lorcan: What makes you think I was joking – buddy.

Me: I – uhh – okay ehh lets just pretend the last six sentences never happened.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Liorah

The tall man with white hair and dark clothes almost hurled Quin out of the way. He was sent reeling halfway across the room.

My eyes widened in shock. Why would anyone–

He grinned. Actually grinned.

I was going to wipe that smug expression off his face and plaster it on the ceiling.

I peered after Quin and tried to step past the man, but he stepped aside as well, into my way. I looked straight up at him, shock and fury blending together.

He was smiling down at me, apparently impressed with himself.

“I’m Sasha,” he said, in a tone that was too off-handed for someone who had just hurled my friend halfway across the room.

“Do you come here often?” he asked, trying to look casual.

This was a joke, right? Nobody could be that numb-skulled. I peered up at him, narrowing my eyes, waiting for him to announce some punch-line. He didn’t.

Was he flirting with me? Here? Now? Me?

He must be completely out of his mind and I decided to treat him as such.

“I often frequent hell-holes like this, only in search of people like you,” I said, the sarcasm strong enough to knock out a horse.

He missed it, completely. I was astonished and borderline impressed that someone could be so blinded by their own ego.

He smiled, flattered, right as I heard approaching footsteps, running, quickly.

I took a step backward just as a petite girl plowed into Sasha. Good for her.

He crashed into the ground and I grinned. That must have hurt.

He didn’t even seem to care. He grinned up at her as she towered over him. Considering that he was almost a head taller than I was and she was almost a head shorter, this was quite the reversal.

“What in blazes are you even on about?” The exhasperation in her voice was admirable and I instantly decided she was the right sort. Unlike whoever that idiot was.

“I’m so sorry about that,” the girl said.  “Name’s Skia.  If he gives you anymore trouble, give me a holler and I’ll try to take care of him.”

It barely registered. I was staring over at Quin. I could see him wince from here, holding his shoulder as though he were injured. Sasha had done that and Quin had done nothing. No, Sasha had done this specifically because of me. It was my fault that Quin was hurt.

I turned to Sasha, my anger blazing, blocking out any rational thought left.

He had just started to sit up and I didn’t give him the chance. I rammed the heel of my riding boot into his shoulder, right above his collarbone, right where it would hurt most.

He slammed back into the ground but barely seemed to mind. He gazed up at me with the same cow-eyes as Lorcan and Yila had exchanged. Nausea rose in my throat as I glared down at him, strongly considering ripping out his eyes just to get him to stop.

“What is wrong with you?” I hissed, my voice dangerously low. “How dare you.”

He grinned up at me with an expression that even Lorcan hadn’t been able to achieve. That was it. He wasn’t supposed to like the attention, I was going to rip his throat out if that was what it took for him to wipe that expression off his face.

This time I drove my boot heel right into his diaphragm. This time I saw him wince but I put my weight behind the pressure, driving the breath from his lungs.

The earth quivered, a soft trembling like a frightened animal.

I would make him pay for it.

And I adopted @inkhorn ‘s idea of making the powers appear gradually because that’s really awesome!

@calidris

I have no idea whether their engineering means they don’t feel pain as much so you can change it if you have to XD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Aydin

It was so loud and dark. The room was spinning, voices and screams echoing off the walls, louder, harder and I had no idea where it was coming from.

I tried to take a step backward, desperate to escape the darkness, but the floor seemed to sweep out from under me and I fell hard, the breath knocked from my lungs.

Something touched my back, grabbed at me. I gasped and scrambled away, trying to escape it, whatever it was.

The noise made my ears ring, throbbing, seething. I covered my ears, hunching into myself as though I could protect myself from whatever was in the darkness. It was coming for me and there was no use trying to run away. The noise wouldn’t calm, one of the screams seemed to cut through me, the darkness so thick I thought I’d gone blind. I couldn’t disappear. It would still find me.

Light. Sudden, blessed, warm light punctured the darkness. I pulled myself up even though my knees were shaking and stumbled toward it.

It was Father, he seemed to glow with warm light. I didn’t even hesitate but buried my head in his shoulder in a sudden embrace.
    He returned it, holding me close, protecting me from everything else. The noises quieted to a comforting hum. 

“That’s it. It’s safe here, I know the outside is dangerous,” he said, his voice soft. I wouldn’t look up, wouldn’t move. Just for an instant, it was warm, and safe, and quiet.

Then I felt the warm blood leaking down my back again, soaking through my shirt, the shards of pain lodging in me. I gasped and clung to Father tighter. He could make this stop. Why didn’t he?

His hand traced along my back as the wounds reappeared, slowly, even though there we were alone. It hurt as much as the first time and my breath caught. The second cut sliced through my back and I let out a smothered cry. 

“No, please,” I begged, my voice breaking.

He didn’t let go, didn’t stop. The third cut wrapped around me and I winced, trying to vanish.

“Please, not again, I’m sorry, I won’t—“ My words drifted off, lost in the sudden sea of pain.

“I love you, you know that,” Father said, quietly.

The pain made it hard to breathe, made it hard to think, the warm blood pooled in the cuts and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

I struggled, unable to stifle another whimper as the cuts throbbed. I managed to break free, to look him in the face.

The buzz of noise became louder, the confused voices again haunting and terrifying.

“If you do, why don’t you make it stop?” I demanded, a sob rising in my voice.

Father’s eyes went hard as the next cut wrapped around my upper arm, slashing my back in the process. I tried to force back the tears but it was no use.

“Why are you crying? Stop it,” he said, impatiently.

I took a deep breath and forced them back, gritting my teeth at the ache spreading through me. I shouldn’t cry.

‘’Please, make it stop—“ I said, my voice too quiet, too soft. I couldn’t look him in those sharp eyes. He could see right through me and he didn’t like it.

“I’m not doing this,” Father said, quietly, stepping closer. I fought the urge to flinch away. I didn’t want to be near him. But I’d just hugged him, instantly, instinctively. How could that cooexist?

“You are, you can make it stop, please,” I said, as the next cut stole my breath. Dark spots danced before my eyes. It was no use trying to push through it, each cut hurt more than the last, the pain building. More tears leaked out of the corners of my eyes and I turned away, too ashamed to let him see it.

“No, I’m not, you’re dreaming things,” he said, stepping closer again. “You’re doing this to yourself.”

Was I? Why would I do that? How could that be happening?

I looked up at him, incredulous.

“Why— how—“

“You know what you did,” he said, his voice suddenly so quiet. “You know you deserve it.”

He fairly towered over me, far taller than I ever would be and more intimidating. He would always be stronger than I was. I couldn’t win. Did I want to? Did I deserve this? What had I done so wrong all my life?

“Why do I?” I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

“You deliberately went and threw away everything I’ve ever done for you. Do you know how much that is? Do you think you would have gotten into the Siya by yourself?” he said, his voice rising as he stepped closer. I looked down, looked away, bit through the pain as I’d always done.

I wouldn’t have. I wasn’t capable enough, and I would never be. I’d proved that when I refused to kill anyone after that first time. I was weak, a coward, and I’d never be anything more.

“Yes, you are. You know it doesn’t have to be this way. If you’d just cooperated none of this would have happened. You could have changed all of this and instead you choose this. Why? What’s wrong with you?” he demanded.

I didn’t know. I could have done so much better. I could have been safe and happy. He could have loved me if I hadn’t done what I’d done. Refusing, rebelling, sabotaging. Why? I should have known better. I could have turned all of this around. What was wrong with me?

“I’ve done everything I can for you, and every time you throw it away just because you can.” He placed a hand beneath my chin and forced me to look directly at him, but I still turned my eyes away. I couldn’t look at him.

“You’re past a second chance. Do this one more time, and you can save yourself as well as you’re able.”

With that final warning, he shoved me back into the darkness. The light faded, the shrieks rose to a higher volume than they’d ever been, crackling and breaking through me.

My back burned, the raw wounds tearing open wider every time I moved. I curled into myself, trying to block out the noise, the presence, the darkness that wouldn’t leave me. I deserved this. I could have chosen differently and I hadn’t.

The undefined presence came nearer and I thought I heard cold breaths, felt something closing in around me. I closed my eyes and sobbed. It tore open the cuts right as the thing—

I shot upright with a gasp. The dream was so close, something with glowing red eyes glared at me from a corner, there were people all around and it was so loud.

I shrank deeper into the corner, my gaze flicking back and forth. What was happening? Where was I? How had I gotten here? Was this real?

This wasn’t safe, none of this was safe. I tried to disappear into the corner.

The people were talking, screaming at each other.

Someone nearby was sitting and massaging his leg, talking to a slight girl with hard eyes. Wait– she’d been here before.

My eyes flitted back and forth, then found Niarok. Oh, of course. That’s what had happened. More or less. I thought I’d dreamed Liorah had arrived.

My gaze was drawn to the group of people arguing. One of them was on the ground, one of the others was almost standing on top of him, their boot pressing him to the ground.

I recognized the dark braid and the hard tension in her posture. Oh, no. What was wrong with that girl? I was halfway across the room before she could escalate to drawing weapons.

She was hissing something at him, voice hard and vicious. Yes, this was absolutely Liorah and she was in a rage.

“Five minutes, I asked you not to pick a fight for five minutes,” I said, my voice still cracking from sleep. I was still so tired and everything hurt from the uncomfortable position I’d been sleeping in.

I grabbed her arm and tried to pull her off him. A spark of static flew between us. It wasn’t even dry in the cave.

I was genuinely worried about him, mostly because once Liorah was in one of those passions she thought even less than usual.

I hadn’t known it was possible to make decisions without a single thought in her head but Liorah had proved me wrong repeatedly.

It was just a bit too easy for her to shift her movement and break a rib if she threw any more of her weight into it. Or otherwise, shift her boot up and place it on his throat. She could absolutely kill him and she knew it. Liorah knew how to find vulnerabilities.

She shook me off, her hand already clenched into a fist. I scrambled backward. Liorah could and would hit me if she felt threatened.

That was my first indication that all wasn’t right.

“Do you think that’s any way to get me to notice you?” Liorah hissed, rage in every word.

The memory came flying back, of that one time Liorah and I were looking for information in a coffee-shop. Some man had tried to talk to her and she hadn’t taken kindly to it. One thing led to another and he’d grabbed her wrist to get her attention. She had almost stabbed him in the throat for it.

Liorah felt trapped. Maybe guilty but definitely trapped, and when she did, she lashed out with all that in her was and that was an awful lot. She was determined not to let it happen again. It was a panic response.

And it was partially my fault.

I didn’t get too near her.

“Liorah, I think you need to stop,” I said, without letting any doubt or fear slip into my words.

She flatly ignored me. Alright, she was beyond reason. Now I had to distract her.

“Honestly, is it too much to ask that you let me sleep for five minutes without picking a fight?” I complained again.

“It was almost an hour,” Liorah retorted, still staring at the man. She shifted her boot. She was making a decision of what to do and this wasn’t going well.

“Alright, an hour. We have a new personal record. You have the self-control of a very small mushroom,” I said, sarcastically.

That made her look up, eyebrows raised incredulously.

“A mushroom? You’re joking.”

It had worked.

“Okay, you’re right, a mushroom has more,” I relented.

She shot me a glare, but took her weight off the man’s chest. And kicked him in the side. I winced in sympathy but Liorah considered that good enough and turned to me.

“Are you alright now?” she asked, her eyes still flaming.

I glanced to where I’d seen the crouching black thing with red eyes. It was gone.

“I’ll live,” I said. The nightmare was still haunting me, but there was nothing I could do about it.

Why had Liorah decided to make enemies right now? I was stuck with it too.

And it was high time for some more Aydin angst! So, I just copied the last nightmare I wrote for the book XD What do y’all think?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,786 through 1,800 (of 2,131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest