fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,801 through 1,815 (of 2,131 total)
  • Author
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy, ooh, digital painting! Cool!

and as for Aydin trauma…poor Aydin. :'( It was well written, though, and really made you hate his father.

Hier steche ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir. Amen. ~Martin Luther

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Quin

“Hey, that’s okay, your high–I mean ma’am. Liorah.”

Locran laughed through his nose, clearly enjoying himself. Liorah flushed, but it was more shy than embarrassed.

maybe some day I’ll stop making a fool of myself.

Something hit him so suddenly Quin had no time to react. The next thing he knew, he was flying through the air. He heard his crutch clatter on the ground next to Liorah, and wondered how he’d get it back once he hit the ground.

Liorah gasped and Locran’s laugh cut short.

Time seemed to stop. He could feel himself falling, nothing he could do about it. What did that? The floor was coming closer. hitting it would hurt.

He closed his eyes as he crashed into…a person.

A girl, no taller than him and maybe no heavier, had caught him. His breath was forced from his lungs and falling against her thin arms hurt.

Not as much as the floor.

She set him gently down, murmuring, “Hey kid,” her hand was heavy on his shoulder.

I’m not a kid.

He jumped up, reeling and clutching at the nearest thing to his hand for support. It was her shoulder.

where’s that crutch!

“You okay?” She asked gently.

“Wha-at?”

But she was already half-way across the room body slamming a tall handsome man who is much bigger than he is. He went down like a felled tree, a look of supreme happiness on his face.

Quin staggered backwards and fell against a pile of rock. he passed a hand in front of his eyes. Am I awake? Where did these people come from?

Liorah blazed to life. She was kicking the tall handsome man. Hard. Quin winced. That had to have hurt.

The whole castle seemed to tilt one way, and then the other. Now is not the time. He closed his eyes to keep his head from swimming, trying to force back the darkness that edged into his vision. This isn’t the time to pass out.

His right shoulder ached, where the man had gripped him. He reached up a hand and rubbed it gently. Just then he caught Liorah looking at him and let go of his shoulder like it was hot. She turned upon the tall man and gave him a good kick in the stomach.

Ouch. That hurt. A lot.

Locran was standing straight as a rod, eyes sharp and hawk-like, scanning the cave. He was no longer smiling.

He reached up to rub his shoulder again. That man must be stronger than Qatar. His whole arm was tingling, and his fingers felt numb.

At least it doesn’t make the ghost pain worse. Pain shot up and down his left leg, forcing memories with it. The crackle of the fire as it licked the dusty wood. The smoke and soot that filled his lungs as the shed collapsed in a roar. Mama, lying on the ground, the flames licking at her skirts. His own hoarse voice shouting, the pain pinning him to the ground, every muscle in his body ordering him up.

He tried to push the memories away. not now.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw a dark flash. Qatar. Running toward the tall handsome man lying on the ground. No, no! Qatar, he’s stronger than you are.

@everyone, I think Quin’s ability will be to control pain, but I’m not sure how it’s attached to his emotions. Qatar’s will be to control heat (or water. haven’t figured out which would be cooler).

@rose-colored-fancy
    @irishcelticredflowercrown @calidris

I think those are the characters I used, lol

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Qatar

The girl relaxed as he stepped away.

“I’m Evie.”

Short for…? he liked the way it sounded when she said it, and repeated it to himself. Evie.

“I um…what’s your story?”

Qatar tried not to flinch, and instead his muscles went very still.

“Not a whole lot.”

He looked down at her. Her eyes didn’t reveal anything. Internally, he sighed.

“I’m a farmer. Son of a farmer–” she’d asked for his story, not the one he tried to convince everyone was true. “No. Son of a merchant. The farmer is my mother’s husband. Qatar Angelborn Miller. Angelborn was my mother’s crest…” clearly none of this was making sense to Evie. She must be from Colondai, Kjerte, or more likely, Sran Ekkel, the Hidden Country, on the other side of the world.

I’ve said too much already. He looked into Evie’s hazel eyes. I don’t know what it is about this girl that makes me talk so confounded much.

“What about you?” he almost snapped. Then, in a gentler voice, “Do you have a story?”

@denali-christianson
    I have to go now, I can re-start the conversation when I get back, unless you want to take it from here. Short post because I couldn’t help myself. Also, after this I think Qatar will notice what’s going on with Quin and go flying over like an idiot to help–not sure, I’ll see how this conversation goes with Evie. I’ve met the punching Qatar, but not the romantic one. AND this backstory is totally new to me, lol

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Aaannnd @denali-christianson I’m back to fix it now. 🙂

Qatar (cont.)

(this is right after his contemplating which countries she could be from):

Angelborn. It sounded strange to say it, after so many years. He took a deep breath. It was part of him. He had wondered, when he was a child, if he really was of the lineage of angels. Now he knew he wasn’t but the same spell seemed to be scattered over the name that had always been, and a faraway look came into his eyes.

Then he looked back at Evie. Her mouth was a little open, her eyes very large. and pretty. He hated himself for even thinking it.

“I have a brother. Well, two brothers, but Quin is only half a brother. And then there’s Grace.” As he said his sister’s name he smiled a little. She’s only half a sister, too, but it hardly matters.

[She’s his sister, but Evie doesn’t know that. IDK if you want to have fun with that or not. 🙂 Makes no difference to me, I left it open ended.]

“We live on Ferdina Island–largest in the Circle–we’re…farmers.”

[author’s note: the country they live in is the Vegada Circle: a circular formation made up of 6 Islands that are a little like states or provinces.]

He stopped suddenly.

I’ve said too much already. He looked into Evie’s hazel eyes. I don’t know what it is about this girl that makes me talk so confounded much.

“What about you?” he almost snapped. Then, in a gentler voice, “Do you have a story?” He put Quin’s knife in his belt and took another step back. He didn’t want to intimidate her.

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

Oh, the action just started to ramp up.

KHALON

Self pity filled Khalon as he contemplated his predicament. He shook himself. Self pity is not one of your options getting out of this situation. Get a grip!

Khalon pounded his head and finally became aware of the chaos that was about to unfold. Tall Girl was beating up ghost man while Sleeping Man, who had apparently just woken up, was attempting to pacify Tall Girl. He succeeded.

Khalon breathed a sigh of relief. That could have gone worse. Just then, he saw Protective Older Brother hurtling towards ghost man. No, no! Ghost Man is super strong. You’ll be dead in five seconds! 

Khalon’s hand instinctively reached for his sword. It wasn’t there, of course. He didn’t have it to begin with. But then he felt a cool, smooth object in his hand. It was his horn. Without thinking of what good his horn would do against an adrenaline powered man, Khalon rushed foward, stepping in front of Ghost Guy.

He had only a few seconds to figure out what to do next. There was no stopping Older Brother. This would only end up with three people in major pain. Why couldn’t I have my sword or my reflexes? Instead what do I get? A horn that I can’t even play properly. Wait a sec, my horn!

Khalon would have laughed but Big Brother was a split second away. He would have to laugh later. Khalon put the horn to his lips and blew with all his might. A strangled, high-pitched, shrieking sound emerged. The noise was magnified by the stone walls so that it sounded like a choir of banshees were singing the chorus of “Taking Me Under” (a song name that I just made up since I doubt Khalon knows any heavy metal songs).

Khalon winced but continued to blow. Hoping this would be enough to postpone the Ghost Guy and Older Brother showdown.

@rose-colored-fancy

I decided to take your advice and give Khalon something he didn’t expect, his horn. And about Aydin, poor guy! (I’m resisting the urge to call him a baby, sisterly instinct) Please say that he finds peace and joy the end of your book series. And if you have him die before he finds this joy, I’ll…write a fanfic where I turn all of your characters into 2D copy and pastes of a Mary Sue and a Gary Stu!

@emily-waldorf

I hope you don’t mind that I had Khalon jump in. And as for Qatar’s power, I think you should go for heat though it would be funny (and terrifying) if every time he glared at someone, a tidal wave appeared behind him.

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@inkhorn No no! It just makes it interesting more when people jump in. 😉

I think so. I think it will be temperature. You know, anger is hot but rage is cold, yadda yadda. 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

and as for Aydin trauma…poor Aydin. :'( It was well written, though, and really made you hate his father.

Thank you! Yes, I l o a t h e that man with my entire heart XD He’s probably the character I hate the most, ever.

@inkhorn

I decided to take your advice and give Khalon something he didn’t expect, his horn.

That was a cool choice! I like it! Now he can make the others shut up which is a superpower in and of itself XD

And about Aydin, poor guy! (I’m resisting the urge to call him a baby, sisterly instinct) Please say that he finds peace and joy the end of your book series. And if you have him die before he finds this joy, I’ll…write a fanfic where I turn all of your characters into 2D copy and pastes of a Mary Sue and a Gary Stu!

Have you all considered… I give him happiness, and then briefly take it away, but with potential to be restored, and then kill him, when the reader can see that he can get it back but he thinks he never will. Have y’all considered that because I sure have! 🥰

… the threat of writing a terrible fanfic is however very real and very terrifying. I might reconsider. Maybe. 😈

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

Have you all considered… I give him happiness, and then briefly take it away, but with potential to be restored, and then kill him, when the reader can see that he can get it back but he thinks he never will. Have y’all considered that because I sure have! 🥰 … the threat of writing a terrible fanfic is however very real and very terrifying. I might reconsider. Maybe. 😈

Hmmm…it was a little hard following your idea, but when I understood what you said, I have one thing to say, “WHY?!” Though I do understand (breaks my heart to say so, “Don’t hate me for this Aydin!”), I have thought of having Cahira (MC) make the ultimate sacrifice to really rub her character arc in the reader’s face (nothing’s final though, just a thought 😈)

The only way you can get me to not write a horrible fanfic is if you make his death meaningful and the other characters mourn him for the rest of their lives. (if they get over his death in two chapters…I will cry for the rest of eternity, cry being my eyes water a little and eternity being five minutes)

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@inkhorn

Hmmm…it was a little hard following your idea, but when I understood what you said, I have one thing to say, “WHY?!”

Ay, sorry, it was a bit hard to explain XD

Though I do understand (breaks my heart to say so, “Don’t hate me for this Aydin!”), I have thought of having Cahira (MC) make the ultimate sacrifice to really rub her character arc in the reader’s face (nothing’s final though, just a thought  )

I feel like we’ve all considered killing our protagonists at one time or another XD

The only way you can get me to not write a horrible fanfic is if you make his death meaningful and the other characters mourn him for the rest of their lives. (if they get over his death in two chapters…I will cry for the rest of eternity, cry being my eyes water a little and eternity being five minutes)

The only thing I promise is that I will try to do his character arc justice.

Tbh, I was kidding. He suffers too much to just be killed off in the end. He’s worked too hard to get some happiness in the end, it would just be unfair to him.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

ALSO I drew an updated portrait of Liorah!

Horrible brat gremlin I love her so much XD

This was actually meant as an expression study so I really pushed the ✨rage✨ XD

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

GUYS I’M NOT IGNORING YOU — MY POSTS ARE REFUSING TO GO THROUGH

Well … if you can see this post, then I guess SE has been merciful enough to let this one pass. >_<

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

calidris
    @calidris

@mamaauthoress you’re fine!  If it, helps, I like to back up any writing I post because SE sometimes eats them lol.  I’ve learned that the hard way, as have many others here 😭

Also, I haven’t been writing lately, but I’m going to try to write Basil’s response to Ruan soon.  I’m very, very interested to see where this dynamic goes lol.  They’re simultaneously the best and worst characters to happen upon each other 😂

*laughs as one fey*

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@Calidris that is a great idea. Thank you. I should have thought of that. 😅

They’re simultaneously the best and worst characters to happen upon each other 😂

Absolutely. 😂 👌

Also, @rose-colored-fancy WOW that is an amazing drawing … *applauds* I love the facial expression.

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

calidris
    @calidris

Aaaand SE ate my post 😐

*laughs as one fey*

calidris
    @calidris

He is shockingly obtuse XD

@rose-colored-fancy
    that he is lol

I feel like Sasha and Basil (and quite possibly Skia as well) are all shockingly obtuse, but in completely opposite ways.  Sasha is so obtuse that he interprets basic politeness as attraction (because no one is ever nice to him, so it must mean she’s attracted, right?), while Basil is so obtuse he would interpret a literal kiss as a mark of friendship (“she must think of me as a very good friend to get this close to me.  It’s an honor, and I shouldn’t do anything to ruin it again.”)

Tbh Basil is just extremely confused on the ideas of both friendship and romance, since he has had very little experience with either

I have no idea whether their engineering means they don’t feel pain as much so you can change it if you have to XD

Well that’s an excellent idea, but if I go that route then it means I can’t give Basil needle trauma, so I guess they feel pain just like everyone else here!

That sounds way worse out of context.  It’s not that bad…is it?

I mean, don’t we all have needle trauma to some extent?  From doctors’ offices?  As kids?

😐

Sasha’s been in so many fights he’s probably used to it by now tbh.  Maybe he’s got a really high pain tolerance?  That would make him Basil’s opposite in yet another way – they’re complete opposites not only in personality, but in appearance as well!

*laughs as one fey*

Viewing 15 posts - 1,801 through 1,815 (of 2,131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest