fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,771 through 1,785 (of 2,131 total)
  • Author
    calidris
    @calidris

and backstories.

@denalichristianson sooo basically tears?

*laughs as one fey*

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@calidris

sooo basically tears?

Precisely. The really watery kind that flood houses, oftentimes accompanied by blood. And villains.

"Where there's life, there's hope; and need of vittles."
    -Samwise Gamgee

calidris
    @calidris

@denali-christianson ahh yes

Ok, semi-weird question, but have you ever cried over your story?

*laughs as one fey*

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@calidris

Ok, semi-weird question, but have you ever cried over your story?

Too many times to count. I usually have a crying spell every time a character dies or comes back to life or has a friendship or gets injured or moves. Or breathes. Breathing especially. And this makes me realize that I have forgotten once again that Yila has asthma. Excuse me a moment *bangs head against wall*

Have you? I’m assuming since you asked, that means you have lol. (see how smart I am??? XD)

-Samwise Gamgee

calidris
    @calidris

@denali-christianson yep, and it’s always the same character, too.  You know how there’s that one character that you feel sorry for, and you have to give them trauma and you just feel so sad seeing them all hurt and alone?  But then it’s all the more satisfying to heal them and watch as they grow and develop and finally reach their happy ending?  I feel like we all have that one character lol

And yeah, those are the types of characters that make me cry.  It’s kind of cathartic ngl

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@calidris

I second this: Acyn is one of your best characters and there is nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise!  He’s genuinely annoying but in the most oblivious, hilarious way and I love him for it lol

I’m so glad you like him too! 😀 My biggest issue for him is that I don’t have anything for him to do in the later books! He just… isn’t needed. Same for Sahar actually. I love them but I don’t really have anything for them to do.

However, very much a future me problem.

Also, Basil was isolated in a lab for all of his life.  Skia was stuck in a lab too but at least she had other subjects to battle I MEAN PLEASANTLY INTERACT WITH

THAT ISN’T AN IMPROVEMENT!! You do see how that is worse, right??

And I take objection to your accusation of giving all of my characters 15 flavors of trauma.  Saskia has 10 flavors of trauma and Basil and Sasha both have 16.  It all evens out in the end, you see?

I told you. You’re as bad as us. *Nods knowingly*

And yeah, those are the types of characters that make me cry.  It’s kind of cathartic ngl

An entire mood.

@denali-christianson

I laughed soooo hard when I read that considering like… no one. Ever. has beaten Niarok. The only reason he hasn’t destroyed all the evil people in the world is because he’s nice. XD

Lemme introduce you to how Liorah functions. That’s just how she rolls. XD

She is actually much better in a fight than her personality lets on. She’s really well trained and also genuinely enjoys it and isn’t afraid of anything XD Of course, she’s a mere mortal in a castle with superpowered everyone and she still believes she could kick them to kingdom come. Her single brain cell only wants murder. XD

ALSO CAN I JUST BRIEFLY EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVE READING YOUR DESCRIPTIONS OF MY BABYYYYY lol you have a great talent for doing Niarok perfect justice. XD

LITERALLY SAME!!! You get Aydin and Liorah perfect every time!!! Reading that I was just like “Yeah, that’s them, that’s perfect”

The obnoxiously loud one.

Yila’s first instinct was to hate her, but for some reason she couldn’t. She couldn’t because Liorah was everything she used to be.

Before she was broken and shattered into a million pieces to the point that no one could fix her. Not even Niarok, even though he tried.

This struck me as morbidly hilarious since Liorah is immensely messed up, she just shows it in the exact opposite way of Aydin and Yila. The worse she feels the louder and more obnoxiously confident she gets because it shoves people away and keeps her safe.

Aydin learned that the best way to stay safe is to disappear, and Liorah learned that the best way to stay safe is to make yourself as intimidating as possible and scare them off.

Also, she’s like one of the most insecure characters I’ve ever written, second only to Aydin and literally everyone thinks “Wow, she’s so incredibly confident, even arrogant” and there’s just nothing behind the facade.

She’s just desperately trying to appear competent because that’s where she feels most secure. If she acts confident enough nobody will question her and find out how incompetent and scared and small she feels.

Oh, my poor baby. It’s so hard to write her here since so much of her lie is circumstantial, but it’s fun to try!

Also I love how Khalon is identifying everyone as “soldier, dangerous, soldier, soldier, don’t get on their bad side… Niarok.” XD Literally everyone in this castle is a walking war machine and then there’s Niarok, who’s also a walking war machine except that he refuses to make war soooo…

Like literally XD

@everyone

I had an idea for a new challenge!! Not as traumatizing this time, glory be XD

So in my world there aren’t any special abilities, so I was thinking about how Liorah and Aydin would react if they suddenly had powers.

(Who are we kidding, I just wanna see how long it takes for Liorah to laugh manically and wreak havoc because it would be hysterical. I say about ten seconds.)

So, I suggest we pick a power for each character and then they just get it without warning. Or for characters like Rúan or Lorcan, it could be really fun to change their powers to throw them off!

I actually already had ideas for what I wanna give to Liorah and Aydin XD

For Liorah my first answer was fire manipulation but… that’s extremely dangerous for literally everyone (there will be no surviors, period) and it was really my first thought and wouldn’t challenge her at all. (She’d like it though XD)

And for Aydin I thought either self-healing or communicating with animals but again, doesn’t really challenge them and the castle would totally curse Aydin with a destructive power XD

And I wanted to mess with symbolism because metaphor is my natural habitat so I thought it could be cool to link their powers to their emotions.

So, final verdict, Liorah’s power could be causing earthquakes, and earth manipulation basically, based on anger. (Because literally nothing would be funnier than Liorah screaming at someone and the entire earth is just trembling and then a rock flies at them)

And Aydin gets electricity manipulation based on fear because that sounds like chaos.

So, what do y’all think of the idea? We could do it later on, after they did a bit more introductions, and if you all don’t feel like it consider that an excited rant of what powers my characters would theoretically have and ignore it XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Liorah

“I’m a doctor,” Niarok said quietly. “I didn’t mean to stare. I’m sorry. Although if you ever want to tell me how you got them, I’d be happy to hear the story.”

It wasn’t what I’d expected him to say. He was literally the first person in this entire place who had decent manners.

I shrugged and grinned, easily.

“There’s not much to tell, it was Aydin’s girlfriend– I mean his ex.” I snickered at the thought that I could have forgotten that debacle. I had added it to the long list of reasons why being in a romantic relationship with an assassin was a horrible idea.

Niarok looked up, sharply, though his expression was more confusion and shock than any recognition. I raised an eyebrow. He had no idea about this situation, did he?

I pulled up my right sleeve and vaguely gestured to some of the many scars. The most noticable was a long cut that ran from the outside of my wrist into my sleeve. Halfway it was crossed by three concentric circles, knife wounds that hadn’t been delivered in battle.

“And some of the others were his friends, or his father, or his King, or a second-cousin twice removed or who even knows.”

I rubbed the mark in an instinctive effort to shove down the memories.

“I don’t think he gave me any himself but that’s not his fault,” I said, rather satisfied that I’d managed to avoid that. In fact, I was ahead there. I had given him a bloody nose once and he’d absolutely deserved it.

“I thought you were friends,” Niarok said, barely able to keep the horror out of his voice.

I blinked, rapidly.

“Of course we are.”

“Are all your friends like that?” Niarok asked, looking like he was desperately trying to hide a laugh.

“Oh, he wasn’t my friend then. Family fued, sins of the fathers, so on and so forth,” I gestured, vaguely. “And he was being a real idiot about it too.”

Niarok looked as though I had swept the metaphorical floor out from under him. I grinned.

“He didn’t tell you?”

This was incredibly amusing. I couldn’t have timed this better in any way. Making a joke of it was the only way I could manage this. It was that or crying and who wanted to do that?

Someone called out behind me, answered by another voice. I spun around, hand flicking to my weapons.

He had landed hard, apparently from the ceiling. I glanced up at it, and back down to him in extreme confusion.

“Is everyone in this entire place trying to give me a heart attack or is that just a bonus?” I asked, sarcastically.

“Hello? Do you know where I am?” the young man asked, dubiously.

A tall girl with jet-black hair who faintly looked like Niarok strode up to him.

“Yes, I do,” she said. Her voice was sharp and authoratative. I took an instant liking to her. “You’re in a hellhole of an evil omniscient castle, stuck here with the rest of us. Welcome in,” she snapped.

I snickered. That was brilliant.

“Oh, don’t worry. The rest of them are a bit more decent than me,” she said, jerking her chin toward Niarok. “I’m just the gatekeeper.”

This time I laughed outright.

“Speak for yourself, love,” I said, with a grin. The jury was still out whether I was more decent than her but I was comfortable with assuming I wasn’t.

“I’ll only kill you if you try to hurt me or one of them.”

“Okay?” The man said, dubiously. He slowly got up and showed his hands, making it obvious he was unarmed.  “I won’t hurt anyone unless it’s absolutely necessary. Besides, I’m unarmed,” he said. He didn’t sound aggressive.

“I hope you will keep your word for your sake,” the girl spat. She glared at him before returning to her seat.

The man looked dubious and unimpressed.

“Very dramatic,” he muttered.

I was barely able to manage my laughter and eventually just gave up, trying to stifle the almost hysterical laughter.

Lorcan passed me and I shot him a glare, just to keep in the habit, but he didn’t even look in my direction. Rude. Who else was I supposed to argue with?

He was softly humming something and I pulled an expression that couldn’t be interpreted as anything other than the mocking I intended.

He was looking at the girl. And the girl was looking at him. An awful lot. I raised my eyebrows.

Was I interrupting? I felt like I was interrupting.

Wait, wait, hold on, I’d seen this before. That was the same soft-headed look Gavril and Nebiah shot at each other.

This had to be a joke. I glanced back and forth between them and decided that it absolutely wasn’t a joke. I bit on my lower lip to keep from bursting out in laughter. Them? Now? That was the most inoppertune moment possible and exactly like Lorcan. I pitied the girl.

Neither Lorcan nor the girl noticed and I backed away. Lovesick people tended to react in unexpected ways and I didn’t want to get strangled by Lorcan again. That had been annoying.

Liorah really woke up and chose violence. XD

Her dropping huge backstory bombs on Niarok like ten seconds after being introduced is so ridiculously in character. XD

Aydin hasn’t let slip a single thing during this entire time and Liorah needs two minutes to spill everything. XD

(I didn’t really start an interaction with anyone so whoever has a character free! Calidris, we can introduce Skia and Liorah if you feel like it 😈)

Also, y’all, I finished drawing a portrait of Aydin and it’s making me so happy. Do y’all wanna see?

I think I’ll wake him up pretty soon, but I need to invent a really good nightmare first. Or I might copy the one I just wrote for the book, that one was horrifying and will do nicely!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@caladris

XD I was in a bored spell when I began reading the character castle. As for Khalon’s backstory, well it is woefully underdeveloped. All I know is that it’s not tragic, all of his family is alive, he’s an only child, and his parents are great. I might change some of those though.

@denali-christianson

Here goes!

KHALON

A girl walked up to Khalon. Uh oh. It’s dramatic girl 2.0. Why on earth did I have to leave my sword behind? Fast reflexes aren’t going to do you much good against a bunch of assassins.

“Hi, I’m Evie. What’s your name?” the girl asked.

“What, no death threats?” Khalon retorted automatically. He mentally slapped himself. Stay on their good side. Yeah, really well done. “I’m sorry. That was stupid. Gut reaction.” Khalon stood and gave a short bow. “My name is Khalon. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance Mistress Evie.”

@rose-colored-fancy

That’ll be fun to give or take powers. It’ll put Khalon in an even more uncomfortable spot. In my world, powers are just enhanced abilities. Khalon’s ability is fast reflexes (faster than all other people’s). I shall take away is only strength. *laughs maniacally*

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Sahar and Liorah are the top favorites, always. If I ask someone who their favorite character is they always say Sahar first.

I liked Acyn!!! I might put him before Sahar, even. Though they make such a good team… I’d like to read them in canon (hint hint, lol)

Hier steche ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir. Amen. ~Martin Luther

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

Well, YEAH!!!! of course we want to see your picture of Aydin!

Hier steche ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir. Amen. ~Martin Luther

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@inkhorn

As for Khalon’s backstory, well it is woefully underdeveloped. All I know is that it’s not tragic, all of his family is alive, he’s an only child, and his parents are great. I might change some of those though.

Oh, glory be, we have one character who isn’t miserable!! *happy dance*

That’ll be fun to give or take powers. It’ll put Khalon in an even more uncomfortable spot. In my world, powers are just enhanced abilities. Khalon’s ability is fast reflexes (faster than all other people’s). I shall take away is only strength. *laughs maniacally*

Oh, that’s too cool! Yessss!! Take away his one strength and leave him feeling powerless! And if you really like chaos give him something else in return that he isn’t expecting 😈

@emily-waldorf

I liked Acyn!!! I might put him before Sahar, even. Though they make such a good team… I’d like to read them in canon (hint hint, lol)

If you’re reading that you want to read it absolutely!!! *If that isn’t what you meant oops XD* I’ll put you on the list of beta-readers!

I did not know he had such a big fanbase XD (Three is big. It’s bigger than I was expecting. XD)

Well, YEAH!!!! of course we want to see your picture of Aydin!

I need no further encouragement XD

I don’t know if this is his final design, I might change it (again, for like the fourth time) but for now I’m happy with it! Something about it still feels off but it’s good enough for now!

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@calidris

yep, and it’s always the same character, too.  You know how there’s that one character that you feel sorry for, and you have to give them trauma and you just feel so sad seeing them all hurt and alone?  But then it’s all the more satisfying to heal them and watch as they grow and develop and finally reach their happy ending?  I feel like we all have that one character lol

True this!!! Yep. That’s Evie for me, 100%. And a couple other characters that no one here has ever met (although I’ll probably bring one of them a little later on) It’s like… so hard torturing them, but then you know that if you make the pain worse it makes the healing better, so then like…

Tears.

Kind of? Noooo my friend. VERY VERY VERY cathartic. You would not believe how many times when I’m depressed or bored, I go and write a scene with Evie just so I can get my tears out. It’s bad. It’s also a problem considering she’s my main character and so half the things I write are from her POV, meaning… I cry. a LOT.

@rose-colored-fancy

I’m so glad you like him too!

AAAAHHHH I keep forgetting to mention this but I LOVE ACYN!!!!!!!! It was so fun having him interact with Niarok 1.0… ya know, weirdly withdrawn, slightly rude Niarok? Before he became his own sweet adorable person? XD I love him!!! 😀

She is actually much better in a fight than her personality lets on. She’s really well trained and also genuinely enjoys it and isn’t afraid of anything XD Of course, she’s a mere mortal in a castle with superpowered everyone and she still believes she could kick them to kingdom come. Her single brain cell only wants murder. XD

Even better lol. Evie genuinely adores a fight – they’ll get along well if Evie can get over her prejudice lol. XD Then there’s Niarok who wouldn’t attack her, but could totally destroy her without even trying because he’s well… a retired war machine. XD It would be so interesting to have them fight each other. I have absolutely no clue how I’d get Niarok to actually fight an ally, but um… I’ll work on him. XD

This struck me as morbidly hilarious since Liorah is immensely messed up, she just shows it in the exact opposite way of Aydin and Yila. The worse she feels the louder and more obnoxiously confident she gets because it shoves people away and keeps her safe.

Why, why, why, why can I relate to this so much???? Lol that may or may not be my protective system… Although mine is a bit more like put up an angry, icy wall that people can’t get through… lol

She’s just desperately trying to appear competent because that’s where she feels most secure. If she acts confident enough nobody will question her and find out how incompetent and scared and small she feels.

OOOOHHHH but see, my friend, it’s going to be soooo fun having Niarok see right through the facade and then trying to figure out how to help gaahhhh he’s back to full-on dad status. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

So, I suggest we pick a power for each character and then they just get it without warning. Or for characters like Rúan or Lorcan, it could be really fun to change their powers to throw them off!

AAAAHHHH this will be sooooooo weird… Niarok’s ability is literally discernment. Yila’s is super strength and sharp hearing. Ummmmm

Okayyyyy

This is an amazing idea but like…

uuuuhhhhhh…

So, what do y’all think of the idea? We could do it later on, after they did a bit more introductions, and if you all don’t feel like it consider that an excited rant of what powers my characters would theoretically have and ignore it XD

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I loved listening to the rant lollll we should totally do this in a bit after we’ve had some time to assimilate master Khalon further into our cult I MEAN FRIENDLY WRITING GROUP

It wasn’t what I’d expected him to say. He was literally the first person in this entire place who had decent manners.

LOLLLLLLLLL this is soooo true though

Her voice was sharp and authoratative. I took an instant liking to her.

Oh goodness. *facepalms* I see utter chaos in our future. As in… Liorah tries to be Liorah around Yila and Yila just kinda… casually strangles her before she realizes what’s happening.

uuugghhhhhhhh

Although this could also be really cool.

We should probably try to make Yila and Liorah friends just as quickly as humanly possible to keep the blood to a minimum. XD

I don’t know if this is his final design, I might change it (again, for like the fourth time) but for now I’m happy with it! Something about it still feels off but it’s good enough for now!

I LOVE ITTTTT!!!!!!! It’s not quite how I pictured him, but goodness, I love it!!!! XD

@Inkhorn

I was in a bored spell when I began reading the character castle. As for Khalon’s backstory, well it is woefully underdeveloped. All I know is that it’s not tragic, all of his family is alive, he’s an only child, and his parents are great. I might change some of those though.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA Imaaaaagine not being traumatized…

We should ttoooootally introduce Niarok and Khalon. Niarok would love having a friend who can’t relate to his tragic past… XD

Uh oh. It’s dramatic girl 2.0.

I have literally noooo clue why this made me laugh so hard but goooodneessss gracious! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

-Samwise Gamgee

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Niarok

“I’m a doctor. I didn’t mean to stare. I’m sorry. Although if you ever want to tell me how you got them, I’d be happy to hear the story.”

Liorah looked entirely taken aback by Niarok’s answer, as if she’d expected a death threat or a challenge. But then she shrugged and grinned.

“There’s not much to tell, it was Aydin’s girlfriend– I mean his ex.”

She snickered.

Niarok’s gaze snapped back up to meet Liorah’s. Aydin’s… ex? Okay, well… that was something interesting.

Liorah raised an eyebrow.

No, I don’t know anything about this. And I’d prefer if you didn’t tell me. Unless it has to do with you.

Liorah pulled up her right sleeve to reveal a thicket of scars. Niarok resisted the urge to wince. He had about that many scars in various places on his body, too. There was a huge scar that ran from her wrist to her sleeve, crossed down the middle by three concentric circles. Those didn’t look like battle wounds…

“And some of the others were his friends, or his father, or his King, or a second-cousin twice removed or who even knows.”

She rubbed the mark. Like she was trying to shove down bad memories. Niarok’s heart broke.

Another person like him.

“I don’t think he gave me any himself but that’s not his fault,” Liorah finished, a look of keen satisfaction settling across her face. Soooo…

Maybe she’d given him some herself?

“I thought you were friends,” Niarok muttered. He had a feeling there was something akin to horror on his face, but he didn’t care. No wonder Aydin was traumatized. He had an ex, a violent family, and a friend that did… this? Oh, and he used to be an assassin.

Liorah blinked in confusion. “Of course we are.”

Ironic humor bubbled up in Niarok’s throat and he barely suppressed the laugh. “Are all your friends like that?” he choked. Wow. No wonder the world in general was traumatized. Of course, Niarok had plenty of friends like that…

“Oh, he wasn’t my friend then. Family feud, sins of the fathers, so on and so forth,” Liorah gestured at some sort of distant memory. “And he was being a real idiot about it too.”

Niarok couldn’t decide whether to laugh outright or just kind of… die right there. On the floor.

Liorah grinned. “He didn’t tell you?” She asked, clearly taking a serious amount of delight in this whole thing.

Niarok shook his head slowly, noticing the flash of pain beneath Liorah’s humor.

She was trying to make light of an incredibly traumatizing situation that had probably eternally ruined her self-esteem.

Niarok’s heart sank. Why? Literally why was the world like this?

He couldn’t figure out how to tell Liorah he cared and he understood without it coming across like he was just violently tearing down her walls to issue a challenge.

Maybe another time?

A crashing noise and a groan distracted Niarok and his hand went to his sword.

A man with short black hair and dark skin was sprawled across the floor, apparently having fallen out of the ceiling.

Liorah was looking between him and the roof, confusion written all over her face. Niarok suppressed another chortle.

Ah, and he possessed that strain too. Laugh, or cry. Better to laugh.

“Is everyone in this entire place trying to give me a heart attack or is that just a bonus?” Liorah intoned, her voice a razor edge of sarcasm.

Niarok gave her a sideways glance of sympathy.

“Hello? Do you know where I am?” the new ceiling flopper asked, his voice soft and dubious.

Yila marched straight up to him.

“Yes, I do,” she snapped, all the trauma coming through in her strained voice – which to everyone else probably sounded like the most unstrained thing they’d ever heard. Niarok resisted the sigh. “You’re in a hellhole of an evil omniscient castle, stuck here with the rest of us. Welcome in.”

Okay, but no need to traumatize him…

Liorah snickered. She clearly liked Yila.

Great.

Niarok had a feeling he was going to be dressing quite a few wounds in the near future.

“Oh, don’t worry. The rest of them are a bit more decent than me,” Yila continued, jerking her chin at Niarok. He sighed. “I’m just the gatekeeper.”

Liorah laughed. “Speak for yourself, love,” she said through laughs, grinning.

Niarok couldn’t help the tiny little smile that turned his lip up. If Liorah and Yila could just refrain from killing each other, they could make a great team.

“I’ll only kill you if you try to hurt me or one of them,” Yila said.

“Okay?” the man said uncertainly. He held up his hands. “I won’t hurt anyone unless it’s absolutely necessary. Besides, I’m unarmed.”

Niarok looked at his face.

He was telling the truth, and Niarok trusted him.

He also wasn’t an assassin.

Good. At least someone here wasn’t a wrecked mess.

“I hope you will keep your word for your sake,” Yila spat.

She was wrestling with her demons.

Niarok grimaced.

“Very dramatic,” the man muttered.

Niarok snorted.

That was one description for Yila he’d never heard, but it was… accurate. Very accurate.

And Liorah was snorting again. Then laughing. Hard. Almost hysterically.

Niarok couldn’t decide whether to grin or laugh.

Lorcan passed her, and she immediately stopped laughing to glare at him. They clearly had history.

He didn’t look at her, and that seemed to incense her greatly.

Lorcan hummed a melody as he passed, and Liorah’s face carried enough mocking sarcasm to down a grown man.

Niarok chuckled under his breath.

Mostly because Yila and Lorcan were having a moment.

At least someone else in here was being nice to his sister. She needed friends.

He grinned, shook his head, and watched the new guy.

He was favoring his right leg ( @inkhorn it was his right leg, right? Or was it both? I can’t remember lol) as he sat down against the wall, scanning the crowd and clearly coming to the uncomfortable conclusion that just about everyone in here was capable of killing him. Niarok sighed.

What a group they were.

Evie walked up to the man, and Niarok decided to wait a bit before talking to him so he didn’t overcrowd him.

-Samwise Gamgee

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@inkhorn

LOL I’m literally loving Khalon soooo much! XD

Evie

“What, no death threats?” the man retorted as soon as Evie had finished her sentence.

She flinched.

Thanks, Yila. Thanks soooo much.

Should she just walk away, or…

Khalon shook his head and stood. “I’m sorry. That was stupid. Gut reaction. My name is Khalon. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mistress Evie.”

Evie winced.

“Um, you too. Just please. Don’t call me Mistress Evie again,” she said, chuckling uncomfortably.

Why oh why was she so morbidly bad at this whole socializing thing?

Thanks, Alcora.

-Samwise Gamgee

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@calidris

@mamaauthoress that was just fine!  Sometimes if a character dynamic lasts for a long time, the posts start getting longer, but that usually only happens later because it ends up involving writing little bits of dialogue for the other person’s character to keep the interaction going 🙂

Good to know. (:

______

RÚAN:

The contraption made an odd hissing noise as the young man sucked in a breath. “This thing?  It filters my air so it doesn’t corrode my lungs,” he said. “Do you not have respirators in your world?”

Rúan frowned, shaking his head. “I’ve never seen anything like it. Is it … bewitched somehow, to clean the air you breathe?”

The young man looked at him as if he had just admitted that he liked bullfrogs as a delicacy. “Um … no. It’s not ‘bewitched.’ It’s just … science.”

Science? Science could not possibly create such a thing as a rest pirate-ater or something like that.

“Clearly we have different views on science,” Rúan mumbled as he stared up at the ceiling.

Come on, you have to make conversation, a voice in his mind commanded. It will only get worse if there’s silence, and you know it.

“So …” Rúan squeaked, and then he cleared his throat. “So,” he tried again, “where are you from?”

_____

Also, I don’t have accents on my laptop, so I can’t spell his name completely correctly 🙂

Don’t worry about it! It’s all right. (: Also, feel free to change anything out-of-character for Basil.

*cringes at Rúan’s poor attempts at socialising* He needs practice. 😅

@rose-colored-fancy

Oh my gosh, that’s an amazing idea. 😂 Like, all of a sudden, Rúan has telepathy instead of elemental fire. Amazing. 👌

Hm … maybe telepathy would work, since he’s not too considerate of others’ feelings, he could peer inside their head to see what’s really going on … maybe he’ll learn something … 🤔

Also … wow, that drawing of Aydin is spot-on. Great job!! *clap clap*

I might pull up a drawing of Rúan …

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,771 through 1,785 (of 2,131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest