fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,756 through 1,770 (of 2,131 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@inkhorn

Well my favorite characters are Gavril, I found him relatable, Acyn, he was hilarious, and Allen Ziess (I think that was his name).

*Gasp of absolute delight*

YESS!!! *Instantly hugs you as soon as you’ve recovered from Denali’s hug*

Those are probably my most underappreciated characters, they both fall squarely into the category of lethal mediocrity in most people’s opinions. Everyone is like “Yeah, they’re fine. I kinda liked Gavril and Acyn was funny, I guess.”

Sahar and Liorah are the top favorites, always. If I ask someone who their favorite character is they always say Sahar first. (I mean, I get it though XD) And I guess people like Liorah because she’s messy and sassy. Idk, that’s why I like her XD

(Ferran has like two people who would absolutely die for him and is fine for the rest and people either adore or loathe Aydin. If y’all don’t think anyone could hate Aydin you need to see what he’s like in the first books, you’ll get it XD)

Oh, I love you for loving them!! I was so afraid I wasn’t doing them justice!!! Especially Gav, I struggled with writing him a lot because he tended to be bland when I started.

I remember Allen! Not much, he was just a bit before my time but I remember him as really fun!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Rose. Reason: I had more stuff to rant about in utter excitement

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@rose-colored-fancy

*is slightly overwhelmed but totally delighted with the hugs*
    I tend to root for the people who are rule followers and enforcers and who also try to keep everyone from making questionable decisions (I’m totally not one of those people) so that’s why Gavril is one of my favorites. From what I read, I think you did a great job in making him 3D. I think he’ll be loved by all the responsible older siblings in the world.
    As for Acyn, his obliviousness on how to behave around people is wonderful!
    Poor Aydin! That guy needs a break! But as much as it pains us authors, we must do what is best for our characters which includes turning their world upside down and giving them tragic backgrounds. XD

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@inkhorn

Oh, goodness, that makes me so happy!! 😭 You absolutely made my day!

I love Gavril for that exact same reason. He’s the perfect golden child/hero and he’s struggling so much to keep it all together. He’s the lawful good to Liorah’s chaotic neutral XD I love that girl dearly but she’s a holy terror and needs a stable influence in her life. XD

And that was what I was going for with Acyn! I was always scared he came off more as obnoxious than funny but he’s so goodhearted and I love him!

And Aydin is my poor sweetheart who I love with my whole heart and torture anyway. 😀 It’s for character development, I swear. We just all need that character XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@calidris

Let’s gooo, I’m excited!

Btw, what’s Ruan wearing?

And he’s quite tall, right?

He’s wearing a simple, button-up tunic that’s a light brown, along with flexible dark brown trousers and traveller’s boots.

Yup! About 6’3” if we’re talking in specifics. He’s also lean and muscular, so he would look a little daunting. 😅

______

RÚAN:

Click.

Hisss.

The contraption was most peculiar … Rúan would even dare to say it looked bewitched.

What sort of place would that curiosity have come from?

Rúan then realised he had been staring, and he snapped out of it, but too late.

“What do you want from me?”

The young man was staring him square in the eye.

“Nothing,” he stammered. Should I ask about the contraption? “What is … that?” he asked cautiously.

The man narrowed his eyes as if Rúan were crazy.

“Just a question,” Rúan mumbled.

_____

Yay? Nay? If I got something wrong, let me know! I’m just trying to keep it short and sweet. 🙂

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

If it came down to a fight I could probably win, but it wasn’t going to be easy.

I laughed soooo hard when I read that considering like… no one. Ever. has beaten Niarok. The only reason he hasn’t destroyed all the evil people in the world is because he’s nice. XD

ALSO CAN I JUST BRIEFLY EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVE READING YOUR DESCRIPTIONS OF MY BABYYYYY lol you have a great talent for doing Niarok perfect justice. XD

Ohoho!! Here we goo!!!

HAHAHAHAHA this is going to be funnnnn *rubs hands together in anticipation*

Niarok

Liorah turned to him with a stare that held a great deal of confidence and something that could easily turn into hostility given the right chance.

She was sizing him up.

And from the looks of things, she thought she could beat him in a fight.

He wasn’t going to contest that, because he wasn’t going to fight her. Period. That just wasn’t how this was going to go.

“I’m Niarok,” he said. “Pleased to meet you.”

Liorah seemed momentarily taken aback by his politeness, as if she’d expected him to try to attack right then and there. Or insult her.

She shook his hand. “Liorah. Pleased to meet you too,” she said, her voice tinging with sarcasm.

Niarok couldn’t help agreeing. It was hard to be pleased about meeting anyone in this dank hole of a torture chamber, but that was no excuse not to try.

He smiled, and she grinned back, pulling her hand away.

Were those? Yes. She had scars running up and down her arm and all over her hand. Burns. Recently healed, by the looks of them.

She was glaring at him, practically baring the scars in front of him. Ask about them, her gaze screamed. She was literally looking for a fight. Her chin tilted up. Challenging. Ready for anything.

Niarok couldn’t help admiring her gusto.

“I’m a doctor,” he said quietly. “I didn’t mean to stare. I’m sorry. Although if you ever want to tell me how you got them, I’d be happy to hear the story.”

Leave it open-ended. He didn’t want to fight.

"Where there's life, there's hope; and need of vittles."
    -Samwise Gamgee

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@irishcelticredflowercrown

absolutely! I’m still rooting for this ship so we can pretend that other scenario never happened and start all over again? Whatever you think.

YESSSSS same! XD Sure! I’m going to have Yila go terrorize the newcomer quickly lol and then when she’s done with that, let’s do this! 😀

Yila

Yila leaned against the wall with a heavy sigh. She wanted nothing more than to sleep for the rest of her life. Never have to talk. Never have to fight. Never have to see those images of all the people she’d killed.

Her heart was heavy and angry and tired. So tired.

She wanted someone to talk to, but she also wanted to disappear. All at once. It was so exhausting.

Niarok talked with the new girl, Liorah.

The obnoxiously loud one.

Yila’s first instinct was to hate her, but for some reason she couldn’t. She couldn’t because Liorah was everything she used to be.

Before she was broken and shattered into a million pieces to the point that no one could fix her. Not even Niarok, even though he tried.

She sighed again and closed her eyes.

A scuffling noise sent her to her feet, hand immediately on the hilt of her closest throwing knife.

She edged around the dying fire to look into the shadows beyond.

“Hello?” someone called.

Yila’s body tensed, ready to spring at the slightest provocation.

A man, a couple inches taller than herself, appeared from the shadows.

“Do you know where I am?” his voice wavered between wary and fearful.

Yila relaxed, but only slightly.

“Yes, I do,” she said, approaching the man, making it clear she had every intention of mortally wounding him should he move the slightest inch out of line. “You’re in a hellhole of an evil omniscient castle, stuck here with the rest of us. Welcome in,” she snapped.

Gosh.

She sounded like… someone other than herself.

That was concerning.

He took a step backwards.

“Oh, don’t worry. The rest of them are a bit more decent than me,” she said, jerking her chin specifically to where Niarok stood. “I’m just the gatekeeper.”

Just the murderer. Don’t mind me.

“I’ll only kill you if you try to hurt me or one of them.”

@inkhorn

You’re up!!! 😀

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Denali Christianson. Reason: Forgot to tag people... whoooops

-Samwise Gamgee

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@denali-christianson
    This should be fun. *rubs hands together in anticipation*

KHALON

A girl that reminded him of the lions Khalon’s mother had told him about in her stories approached him. Her every move was deliberate. She was dangerous.

“Yes, I do,” she said in answer to his question.  “You’re in a hellhole of an evil omniscient castle, stuck here with the rest of us. Welcome in,” she snarled.

Khalon took a step back. That was unnecessary, he thought.

The girl smiled grimly. “Oh don’t worry. The rest of them are more decent than me. I’m just the gatekeeper. I’ll only kill you if you try to hurt me or one of them.”

“Okay?” Khalon answered. When he met back up with the Leader (haven’t got a name for him yet, this’ll have to suffice for now), they were going to have a serious talk about his payment. Liberty and truth were not going to cut it as a reward.

He sighed and held up his hands, hoping that it wouldn’t be taken as a sign of aggressiveness. “I won’t hurt anyone unless it’s absolutely necessary. Besides, I’m unarmed,” he said in a friendly voice. Show them you’re not a threat.

“I hope you will keep your word for your sake,” the girl spat. She glared at him before returning to her seat.

Khalon rolled his eyes. “Very dramatic,” he muttered. Unsure of what to do next, he sat down and began to massage his leg.

Oooh, that was fun! I’ll have to start taking notes on him.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Inkhorn. Reason: Clarity

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@inkhorn

Lol this is funnnnn

Yila

“Okay?” the man said uncertainly.

Yila had unnerved him.

Good.

He sighed and threw up his hands in surrender. “I won’t hurt anyone unless it’s absolutely necessary. Besides, I’m unarmed.”

He was clearly trying to make his voice sound friendly.

Yila almost felt patronized. Almost.

But the one shred of sense left to her after all the years of destroying her conscious told her to give him a chance.

“I hope you will keep your word for your sake,” she said. It came out as more of a spit than a warning, and she resisted the urge to sigh.

Sometimes she hated herself. Okay. More like all the time.

She glared at him a moment longer before whirling around and returning to her seat. Her hand never left the hilt of her dagger.

“Very dramatic,” he muttered behind her.

She rolled her eyes.

Dramatic was the wrong word. Frustrated with life and castle would probably be a better way of putting it.

She glanced at him when she’d returned to her post on the wall. He was sitting down, massaging his leg.

Huh.

She’d send Niarok over to him once he finished his conversation and she finished fuming for no particular reason.

-Samwise Gamgee

Neasa

Lorcan

As Niarok began a conversation with Liorah (he couldn’t imagine why), he scanned the cavern. His eyes caught on Yila speaking to someone he didn’t recognise. He watched her for a moment as they spoke. Whatever was being said, it was making her rather angry. He wondered what had set her off.

The man walked off, and leaned against a wall to massage his leg. Yila turned away furiously to watch her brother’s conversation with Liorah.

Lorcan tuned out of the conversation. A sharp aching grew in his chest as he thought about his home. The smells, the sights, his friends – he missed it all. He began to hum absentmindedly an old working ballad that the children in the community he grew up in used to sing while playing or working together. He certainly wasn’t a great singer himself- he could carry a tune but that was it.

He reached up and fingered the smooth stony pendant hanging beneath his shirt. He tried not to think of her – the one who gave it to him. The only gift he had ever received that he truly valued.

He looked up, noticing that Yila was watching him curiously. He held her gaze, and gave her a smile. It was a small one yes but – it was genuine. Those were rare enough these days.

@everyone if anyone’s character wants to commentate on Lorcan’s daydreaming/humming go ahead😂 it’s certainly something that i did a lot AND got into trouble for in school so I’m just adding my own quirk to his character.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Neasa.
    Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

if anyone’s character wants to commentate on Lorcan’s daydreaming/humming go ahead  it’s certainly something that i did a lot AND got into trouble for in school so I’m just adding my own quirk to his character.

I can 120% relate to this. 😂😂😂

Yila

Yila’s anger subsided, replaced by the ever-gnawing guilt that slowly ate her to nothing.

She wanted nothing more than to start over or die. Either was completely acceptable.

But she couldn’t.

Time just kept moving, and she was captive to it. Completely trapped by it. It frustrated her.

But she was helpless to stop it.

A broken, quiet voice hummed a melody that haunted her. She looked up and saw Lorcan fingering something beneath his shirt, and her heart fluttered.

Beneath his handsome scarred face, she understood there was a heart as shattered as her own.

How she wanted to heal.

Lorcan caught her eye and her heart pounded. She could feel her ears heating up, but she figured her cheeks were just as pale as ever. Blushing wasn’t her first nature.

He smiled. It was a tiny, weak smile. But it was real.

For some reason it made tears start in Yila’s eyes.

She bit her lip, but managed to smile back.

A small, tiny, smile. Something that barely constituted a turn-up of her lip. But it was real. Just like his.

whooooaaaa that wasn’t supposed to happen… XD

-Samwise Gamgee

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

KHALON

Khalon studied the people around him. Asses the situation. Okay so, dramatic girl was dangerous; don’t try to annoy her. Then there was that guy she was giggling at. He also looked dangerous. Maybe it was the mask or maybe it was that song he was singing, either way do not get on his bad side.

Khalon sighed. Two dangerous people in one room. One obviously not the nicest of people. Not good.

Khalon watched the others. There were two guys and one girl huddled together. One of the guys had a weird contraption on his face. Was he sick?  The girl hovered protectively next to him. All three, though, gave off a “don’t mess with me and we’ll get along,” vibe. Better than dramatic girl but still not great.

Two brothers, at least they looked like brothers, stood close to each other. The younger one was missing a leg. Khalon frowned sympathetically. He was no threat. His brother however, had a glare that would have melted Khalon’s mother’s homemade bread. (they might as well be stones) “Okay, don’t get on Little Guy’s bad side or else Big Guy will maul you,” Khalon murmured. This situation was getting worse.

On another side of the cave, a tall girl was talking with a kind looking man. Tall girl had the air of one who’s too confident but from her looks, she probably had every right to be that confident. The kind man seemed sincere enough, but Khalon noticed similarities between him and dramatic girl. They were probably siblings too. Khalon groaned. Things were not looking well.

Finally Khalon observed the final four people. A young man was sleeping in what seemed a very uncomfortable position. If he can sleep like that he was either one, really tired, two, drugged, or three, trained to sleep anywhere. If the last was true, snoozing dude was probably a soldier.

The next person was a girl who immediately reminded Khalon of dramatic girl. Khalon moaned internally. Please don’t let her be like dramatic girl. I don’t have the energy to keep two people from instinctively hurting me. 

The remaining two men were deadly. That was easy to see. One was a walking weapon and the other was a strange pale man.

Khalon rubbed his temples. Okay, so you’re unarmed in a cave with a bunch of dangerous people. One already seems to hate you. What are you going to do know? And no, asking someone to lend you a weapon is NOT a good idea. The best thing to do is to establish good relations. 

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@inkhorn

I’M LAUGHING SOOOO HARD RIGHT NOW LOL

Also I love how Khalon is identifying everyone as “soldier, dangerous, soldier, soldier, don’t get on their bad side… Niarok.” XD Literally everyone in this castle is a walking war machine and then there’s Niarok, who’s also a walking war machine except that he refuses to make war soooo…

Also, would you be open to Evie establishing a friendship with Khalon? She hasn’t really gotten to make friends with anyone yet. If not, just have him give her a glare or something. She’s socially awkward lol so she’ll just walk away and keep her distance.

@emily-waldorf
    I’m going to have Evie move on but if you want to have a scene with Qatar, I’m all for it! 😀

Evie

There was a new guy.

No, not the other four new guys and girls.

Another new guy.

Maybe he had sense?

Considering how Yila had almost taken his head off, he seemed like a fairly peaceful guy.

She sighed and picked dirt out from under her nail.

There’s nothing for it.

She spun and walked toward him, trying to remember what Kathreya had said about not looking hostile on approach.

She had a feeling she failed at that.

With a great effort, she kept her hand away from her dagger.

The man didn’t have an obvious weapon, and from the nervous look on his face, he didn’t have one concealed anywhere, either.

Don’t be like Yila. Don’t be like Yila. Don’t! Be! Like! Yila!

Evie’s face remained impassive. Only Kathreya (and maybe Niarok) would have seen the internal screaming going on inside.

“Hi,” she said. The man looked up. “I’m Evie. What’s your name?”

Don’t. Be. Like. Yila.

Okay, so don’t threaten him.

That should be easy enough…

-Samwise Gamgee

calidris
    @calidris

@rose-colored-fancy I second this: Acyn is one of your best characters and there is nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise!  He’s genuinely annoying but in the most oblivious, hilarious way and I love him for it lol

Also, Basil was isolated in a lab for all of his life.  Skia was stuck in a lab too but at least she had other subjects to battle I MEAN PLEASANTLY INTERACT WITH

And I take objection to your accusation of giving all of my characters 15 flavors of trauma.  Saskia has 10 flavors of trauma and Basil and Sasha both have 16.  It all evens out in the end, you see?

@inkhorn
    Welcome to the chaos!  First off, I’m both impressed and mildly concerned at the fact you you read every.  single.  page.  of the castle!  Second, if you want to get a character interaction going, feel free to let me or the others know!  I think a lot of people are already in some character dynamics, but I have a couple of characters who aren’t, and I’m sure someone else here does too.

We abandoned the character limit awhile ago so now it gets hard to keep track lol

Anyways, it’s great having you here!  What’s Kholon’s story about?

@mamaauthoress
    that was just fine!  Sometimes if a character dynamic lasts for a long time, the posts start getting longer, but that usually only happens later because it ends up involving writing little bits of dialogue for the other person’s character to keep the interaction going 🙂

Basil:

“Nothing,” the man stammers.  He’s still staring, though, and it’s making me uncomfortable. “What is … that?”

His voice is laced with caution, but I feel even more uncomfortable.  I narrow my eyes, fighting every urge to look away.

“What’s what?”

He flinches just a little, like the question took him by surprise.

“Just a question,” he mumbles.  His eyes are still locked somewhere below mine.  A little part of me withers under his bright gaze.  I used to like getting stared at, back in the labs, but I don’t like this at all.  It’s almost like there’s something on my face that’s abnormal, like there’s something wrong with me.  My hand floats up to my throat as I finally let go and avert his gaze.  I press my fingers right behind my jaw, tracing out the hard lines of the mask, like I always do when I feel trapped like this –

Oh.

Of course.

“You mean my respirator?”  My head snaps back as I lock his gaze.

“This thing?  It filters my air so it doesn’t corrode my lungs.”  I sniff behind the mask.  I always do that when I’m uncomfortable, but hopefully the sound of the device covered it.  “Do you not have respirators in your world?”

@mamaauthoress
    feel free to add or change anything on Ruan’s part!  Also, I don’t have accents on my laptop, so I can’t spell his name completely correctly 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by calidris.

*laughs as one fey*

calidris
    @calidris

XD Literally everyone in this castle is a walking war machine and then there’s Niarok, who’s also a walking war machine except that he refuses to make war soooo…

@denalichristianson you know, I never realized it, but that’s another common feature in this castle –  literally just about everyone in here either fits into the category of assassin, warrior/soldier, or both lol

A bunch of walking war machines with childhood trauma.  Welcome to Character Castle 2.0 😀

*laughs as one fey*

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@calidris

@denalichristianson you know, I never realized it, but that’s another common feature in this castle –  literally just about everyone in here either fits into the category of assassin, warrior/soldier, or both lol

A bunch of walking war machines with childhood trauma.  Welcome to Character Castle 2.0

Truer words have never been spoken. 😛

This is why 2.0 is my happy place. Blood, death, and backstories. XD

-Samwise Gamgee

Viewing 15 posts - 1,756 through 1,770 (of 2,131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest