fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,741 through 1,755 (of 1,813 total)
  • Author
    Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@calidris

Would Ruan be up for interacting with Basil?  He’s rude and annoying and completely socially incompetent, but he had a rather sad and traumatic upbringing – so basically, he’s like just about every other character in this castle at the moment lol

Rúan is also rude, annoying, and socially incompetent, so that would be interesting. XD

Or, Ruan could hang out with Saskia – she’s a little bit more sociable 🙂

I’d be okay with either! 🙂

Remind me, what’s Ruan’s backstory again?  Or, if you want to let it show naturally in his interactions, that’s fine too!

He grew up in a village that was nasty and crime-filled — not a great place for the future king of the clan Blazing to be brought up. 😅 That’s why he’s rude and cynical — everyone else around him was that way growing up.

I feel like I’ve asked this question before, but @everyone seriously, what is it with this particular group of authors and tormenting characters with sad childhood backstories?

Hey, I‘m more merciful! Rúan wasn’t even born when his father was brutally murdered. 😤😆

*saying this even though he just escaped his arch nemesis that nearly killed his mother and betrothed*

😇

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@everyone

Can someone give me a rundown of what’s happened so far since I was on here last in the middle of the terrific moral compass challenge? I have not time so thus cannot go read through ten pages worth of posts lol. I’ve caught snippets of Liorah existing and also Saskia, but idk what’s actually occurring. Is there still room for Niarok and Yila? And Evie? 🙂

"The light perceives the very heart of the darkness." -Haldir

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mamaauthoress

Hey, I‘m more merciful! Rúan wasn’t even born when his father was brutally murdered.

*saying this even though he just escaped his arch nemesis that nearly killed his mother and betrothed*

One of usss!! One of us!! XD

@denali-christianson

Can someone give me a rundown of what’s happened so far since I was on here last in the middle of the terrific moral compass challenge?

Okay, let’s go!!

Qatar died and came back to life, Aydin absolutely freaked out and hid in a corner somewhere and may have had is tenth panic attack of the day.

Basil was having a bit of a trial and then Sasha and Saskia, ( @calidris ‘ characters) appeared in the castle. Saskia and Basil interacted just enough that everyone can see they have massive crushes on each other. Sasha has been hanging around mostly so far.

Lorcan had his trial that made him choose to kill Niarok or Yila (he didn’t).

Liorah literally fell out of the ceiling and instantly started bickering with Lorcan like her life depended on it. They had some nice back and forth banter where they insulted each other often, then Liorah found Aydin and nicely bullied him into taking a nap. (I needed to turn my character off and on again.) I’ll probably wake him up pretty soon.

And then she bullied Lorcan again. Then Quin showed up so they’ve been interacting a bit back and forth.

I think that’s pretty much it!

Is there still room for Niarok and Yila? And Evie?

YESSSS MY DEARESTS!!! I wanna see them interact with all the others!!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

Would it be fine if I joined? I have a character who is in major need of development.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@inkhorn

Yes!! Welcome! So happy to have you!

I’ll introduce the other characters to you soon! I’d love to hear more about your character!

So excited to have you join!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

okay sooooo

SE wouldn’t let me post…

So I’mma come back in a few hours and try again…

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@rose-colored-fancy

Thank you! I’ve read through all 117 pages a little while ago (as in a few months ago 😅) and found the entire concept of a character castle very much intriguing. So here’s my character:

Name: Khalon (I’m not sure of the exact pronunciation; I usually pronounce it as Cologne only fancier XD)

History: average life until it turned out he was a Blessed, then he was recruited as a [REDACTED] for [REDACTED]

Talents: good at acting, reads people well, and has fast reflexes

Personality: like I said, he needs MAJOR development so…levelheaded, likes to plan as he’s doing something, independent, and, um, is neither a leader or a follower?
    Things that tick him off: people who 1. can’t think for themselves or 2. are stuck up or 3. like to micromanage others or 4. can’t take care of themselves

And I think that pretty much sums him up.

P.S. As I’ve said, I’ve read through the Character Castle and your characters are awesome!

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@inkhorn

*bowls you over with hug* HIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m so glad you could join us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *does happy dance* Also Khalon sounds amazing and I can’t wait to meet him “in person” lol. And reading through all 117 pages? Wow. I’m super impressed. I didn’t do that… XD

@emily-waldorf

I’d love to see how Evie responds to having a love interest! 😀

@irishcelticredflowercrown

Would you be open to revamping that attempt at Lorcan interacting with Yila? Lol I didn’t see that post and now it’s been a good month or so but it was adorable! 😀

@everyone

Okayyyy so while I was away after saying I didn’t have time to read all the previous posts, I was…

*drumroll*

Reading all the other posts.

*dies*

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Niarok

This was normal now, apparently.

There were… three new people. Three.

One of them was a short girl who had clearly met – clearly liked – Basil before this. Then there was the extremely pale man who seemed to be… off. Dangerous.

Niarok pegged him as a possible enemy, but he was going to give him the benefit of the doubt, as he was currently…

Trying to flirt with the third newcomer.

Liorah.

It hadn’t taken Niarok more than five seconds to figure out her name, and he could already tell she was going to add plenty of… spice. To their group.

Niarok smiled.

Right now she was arguing, and Lorcan was laughing, and Quin was embarrassed.

Niarok felt for him.

So Liorah hated being referred to as royalty. Good to know.

Qatar had just spoken more words to Evie in one sentence than he’d ever said to Niarok, and Niarok couldn’t help but grin wryly. For having just died, Qatar was being very sociable.

At least he was alive. That was what mattered.

Niarok breathed a deep sigh and made a mental checklist of everything he needed to do, not the least of which included checking on Aydin when the man wasn’t visibly falling apart – and also asleep.

Although it did appear that he’d met Liorah before, and that they were friends of a sort. Aydin had visibly relaxed having someone he knew from outside, and that relieved Niarok.

But until he could talk to his friend, there were more important matters.

Like how he was going to go distract Liorah before she attacked Lorcan.

He walked towards her, stopping a little ways off since he didn’t know how she would react to his presence, and cleared his throat.

“I’m Niarok,” he said once she finished her sentence slash insult directed at Lorcan. “Pleased to meet you.”

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Evie

Evie cringed. She already hated Liorah.

The girl talked too much. Way too much.

And she was also so unbearably stuck up.

Actually, trying to list her flaws would take at least a week.

Evie pinched herself.

She didn’t want to be that person, and she could already feel her mental dialogue going south.

Stone-face time.

She rested her hand on her dagger, contemplating whether she should return Quin’s knife.

Yeah… I don’t think so. Last time he got near a  weapon he tried to use it to kill himself.

Instead she pressed herself against the wall and tried to disappear.

Niarok glanced at her, eyes full of sympathy as Liorah screamed insults at Lorcan.

He understood.

Evie sighed and quirked a half-smile just to let him know she was grateful. He got the message. She could tell.

She also hoped he noticed how much she enjoyed having at least one person who understood what she was thinking and feeling without having to say it. Words were too cumbersome and time-consuming and vague. Words were so vague.

She huffed and leaned back against the wall.

Qatar appeared next to her.

His face was stony ice. His eyes were… more stony ice.

Evie resisted the urge to sigh.

Impenetrable fortress.

Like her.

She could respect that.

“Thanks–for keeping him alive. His life isn’t his to take. That’s for me,” Qatar said quietly.

Evie froze.

“You… you want to kill him?” she asked quietly, not sure if she was hearing things or if she even wanted to know the answer.

She knew the feeling of wanting to kill someone.

It usually ended violently.

Very violently.

Kathreya was the only one who stopped her.

She didn’t want to think about what would have happened if she hadn’t.

@emily-waldorf

Your turn!

@rose-colored-fancy

I literally laughed so hard when I realized how similar Evie’s inner dialogue can come to Liorah’s sometimes lollllll

calidris
    @calidris

@mamaauthoress well if we’re playing that game, then I’m the most merciful author here because I have spared Basil and Saskia such trauma by not giving them parents at all >:D

Anyways, lets get this interaction started!

Basil:

click.

hisss.

My vision reels, heart pounding to the familiar rhythm of the respirator.

click.

hisss.

She’s far away now, but I can still see her fists clenched at her sides.

breathe in.

breathe out.

click.

hisss.

The respirator hisses softly as a sigh passes over my lips.  I look away, resting my chin on my knees again.  The hard edges of the device are digging lines through the rough fabric, but I can hardly feel the pain.

click.

Why did I have to do that?  Ripping the respirator out of her hands like an ignorant child – no, like some sort of wild animal.  I squint, face burning under the cool metal.

She even had to remind me to thank her, after all the trouble she went through to give it to me.

I don’t blame her for being mad, but I wish she wasn’t.  She’s one of the few people I actually care about, maybe because she’s one of the few people who seems to care about me.

Do you love me, Skia?

I want to ask her, but I don’t know if I ever will.  I like to imagine she does.  I know it’s stupid to just imagine things like that.  But I don’t think it’s purely imagination.  It’s at least plausible.

Anyways, I’m never asking her because I don’t want to hear her say “no.”

I’ve imagined that, too.  It’s one of two outcomes, if I ever ask.  Actually, there’s a third one where she says “yes” out of pity for me, and that’s the worst.  I don’t even want to think about it, it’s so awful.

hisss.

The filtered air is so soft and cool.  It’s like balm on my sore lungs, but it almost tastes bitter.

Bitter like guilt.

Bitter like regret.

I’ll have to apologize again, later.  It’s all I can do.

click.

hisss.

I look up, suddenly aware off a man standing right by me.  He’s about my height, and strong, with wild red hair and sea green eyes.

Not that I know if a sea is green or not – I’ve never seen one before, and if it looks anything like the water in Spire, I don’t ever want to.

I tilt my head, squinting up at him with sudden concern.

I’m not worried about him hurting me.  I could easily take anyone in this room in a fight, and it would be over in seconds.  I just don’t want to hurt anyone, that’s all.  I really hope he’s come in peace, and I guess there’s only one way to find out.

“What do you want from me?”

Btw, what’s Ruan wearing?

And he’s quite tall, right?

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@calidris

well if we’re playing that game, then I’m the most merciful author here because I have spared Basil and Saskia such trauma by not giving them parents at all >:D

Honey, you locked them up in a lab in isolation for literally all of their lives and gave them fifteen flavors of trauma there. You have never once been merciful. XD

@denali-christianson

It hadn’t taken Niarok more than five seconds to figure out her name, and he could already tell she was going to add plenty of… spice. To their group.

Truer words have never been spoken. Liorah’s story role is to be sass and spice and she does it with her whole heart XD

Niarok breathed a deep sigh and made a mental checklist of everything he needed to do, not the least of which included checking on Aydin when the man wasn’t visibly falling apart – and also asleep.

But until he could talk to his friend, there were more important matters.

Awww… I missed Niarok, my sweetheart! If he ever refers to Aydin as his friend Aydin is going to implode XD That’s too adorable!!

Evie cringed. She already hated Liorah.

The girl talked too much. Way too much.

And she was also so unbearably stuck up.

Actually, trying to list her flaws would take at least a week.

Yaknow, she’s not wrong. XD

I literally laughed so hard when I realized how similar Evie’s inner dialogue can come to Liorah’s sometimes lollllll

Oh, goodness, YES! XD Maybe that’s why they clash XD I wonder how Liorah is going to react…

@inkhorn

Thank you! I’ve read through all 117 pages a little while ago (as in a few months ago  ) and found the entire concept of a character castle very much intriguing.

All of it?? Wow… That must be longer than a novel! Probably two! LOL, that must have been so weird from an outside perspective XD *Flashbacks to Liorah trying to do somersaults in zero gravity while bickering with Gavril* We must have switched tone and genre ten times during the length of this… XD

So then you’ve read all the eras and met all the characters already! You know my chaos gremlins (Liorah, Sahar, Acyn) and the sweet boys who deserve better (Gavril, Ferran, Aydin)

Oh, goodness, that’s too cool! I actually never thought of the possibility that someone could be reading this afterward, that’s too awesome!!!

P.S. As I’ve said, I’ve read through the Character Castle and your characters are awesome!

Thank you so much!! 😀 😀

I think you’re the only person here besides our resident stalker @this-is-not-an-alien who actually ‘met’ Gavril! And Ehud and Rosario!! (Actually some of the others met them too) And sweetest Riure!! Oh, that’s memory lane XD

Do you have a favorite character?

Oh, I’m getting off-track. I feel like an immortal who just met another immortal and is trying to reminisce XD ALL HAIL THE IMMORTALS!!!

Andd… I can’t wait to meet Kahlon!! He sounds too cool! You already know the drill of how to drop him in so go for it! Oh, btw, do you know what he looks like?

Neasa

@denali-christianson
    absolutely! I’m still rooting for this ship so we can pretend that other scenario never happened and start all over again? Whatever you think 🙂

@rose-colored-fancy
    Liorah will probably go nuts with joy when she realises Lorcan has a little CRUSH!!!😆

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Liorah will probably go nuts with joy when she realises Lorcan has a little CRUSH!!!

She’s either going to ship them so hard and play matchmaker in the most incomptent way or she’s going to look Yila dead in the eye and say “Don’t settle for that, you know you can do better.” And then stare Lorcan down until she’s positive she can see him squirm and then just leave and never mention it again.

There is no inbetween XD

Liorah

“That is some scene.” Lorcan tried to control his laughter but wasn’t managing it and eventually just gave up.

Now Quin was blushing too. Lorcan was right, unfortunately. This was quite a scene.

I glared at Lorcan, trying to smother his laughter with sheer rage.

“It’s ok-okay-I-I’m-not-laughing at you– stars and planets thats just so funny haHAHA!

“Then what are you laughing at, pray tell,” I said. I had never seen Lorcan laugh this much and something about the absurdity of it made me smother a giggle, more out of nervous embarrassment than anything else.

“I’m not laughing at you boy. Its just I’m not used to seeing – this princess here actually get treated like a princess. Jeepers, this cracks me up.”

“Well, it’s rather a shock for me too,” I said, dryly. I shot him another glare but he just grinned at me.

“I’ve known royalty you know,” he said seriously, still smiling. “Smug seaweed brains the lot of them. They expect the golden treatment just because of their special bloodline. So the fact that you don’t want to be treated like one – I can respect that.” He nodded at me sightly to emphasise his point. “Who knows. Maybe I judged you too harshly human.”

I raised my eyebrows.

“If you’re going to respect me just because I have basic human decency the bar is lower than I thought,” I said, sarcastically. “I don’t want or need your validation.”

I was so sick of people judging me, finding me inferior, second-best, invisible. I didn’t want to have to earn his respect or his admiration. That meant I would lose it soon enough. I didn’t need it. I was used to this.

I had met royalty of that kind too, others who saw their position as leader as being elevated above everyone else instead of being a servant to everyone. I didn’t want anything to do with them.

I knew better. I was expected to give my entire life, my health, everything I had ever loved, my future, and my sanity to the tribe. It wasn’t just expected of me, it was demanded of me.

Every scar I’d ever recieved was because of my royalty, every heartbreak and every nightmare.

The only payment I would ever get for it was being judged perpetually, constantly found not good enough. If I could have drained the gold from my blood and thrown it in the gutter for someone else to be burdened with I would have in a heartbeat.

But it was my duty. If I didn’t do it, who would? If there were no heirs left, the tribe would dissolve into civil war, and more lives would be lost. We wouldn’t let that happen ever again.

Someone cleared their throat behind me and I turned.

It was a man with dark hair, not Quin’s brother, the other one. I looked him up and down unabashedly. He looked confident, probably ready for a fight. I eyed the bow on his back with some misgivings.

If it came down to a fight I could probably win, but it wasn’t going to be easy. He was probably trained as well as I was, or better, and he was definitely stronger.

I looked him straight in the eye, with a look that wasn’t hostile yet but could become so quickly. I only needed an excuse to make another enemy. He didn’t scare me.

“I’m Niarok,” he said. His voice lacked the harshness I’d expected, but had all of the confidence. “Pleased to meet you.”

At least someone had manners.

I shook his hand, noting the callouses on his hands. Yes, he could absolutely fight and had probably done so often.

“Liorah. Pleased to meet you too,” I said, unable to keep the slightest hint of irony out of my voice. It was hard to be pleased to meet anyone here.

He smiled and I had a sudden conviction that I could learn to like him. He wasn’t anywhere near as obnoxious as Lorcan. I grinned back.

As I pulled my hand away I noticed him looking at it, curiously. Right, he would have noticed the smooth burn scars that spread over my palms and wrists.

I didn’t try to hide them but watched him with a tilt to my chin that could be interpreted as a challenge. Go ahead. Ask. I dare you.

@denali-christianson

Ohoho!! Here we goo!!!

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@denali-christianson

*recovers from hug and returns it, joins you in a happy dance which consists of lots of hopping and waving arms (I shouldn’t have stopped those ballet lessons)*

@rose-colored-fancy

Well my favorite characters are Gavril, I found him relatable, Acyn, he was hilarious, and Allen Ziess (I think that was his name).
    And here’s a description of Khalon:

Height: 5’ 9”

He is dark-skinned with neatly cut black hair. Is about as muscular as a 17-19 guy would be (not exactly sure what that would be exactly). And he is currently carrying no weapons.

KHALON

Khalon strode toward the gates at the south end of the Blesseds’ Academy. He breathed in deeply. It was just a normal hunting trip. That’s all it was. He saw Cahira standing in front of the gate. Khalon grit his teeth. He could deal with not seeing his family for the past few years, but to have to put up with her? It was unbearable.

Suddenly the ground began to move. Khalon crouched down, eying his surroundings. What was going on now. The earth began to rise higher and higher above him. No, he was the one falling. Desperation filled him as he clawed at the dirt around him. No use. Soon the earth was no longer surrounding him. Instead there was only cold, dark stone.
    Khalon landed hard on his feet and then collapsed. He gasped. What was this? He groaned and rubbed his legs. Where was he?
    Khalon staggered to his feet, using the walls as support. Only a few meters ahead was a fire. There were people scattered around it. “Hello?” he called warily. He stepped into the clearing. “Do you know where I am?”

Viewing 15 posts - 1,741 through 1,755 (of 1,813 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest