fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,726 through 1,740 (of 2,553 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

LOL, I love how Quin’s first reaction was “noPE!! Bad idea!!” XD Liorah does that to people and it always makes me laugh.

Liorah

He was blushing and wouldn’t look at me. He reminded me of both Aydin and Faye, somehow.

Lorcan grinned at him. I was surprised that Lorcan would try to be encouraging. Maybe I had judged him too quickly but that didn’t mean he wasn’t the most annoying person I’d ever had the misfortune of laying eyes on. I wasn’t backing down on that.

“Quin.” He looked away. “How’d you get here?”

I grinned.

“I fell through the roof! Did you see it?” Something about it struck me as hilarious.

“I mean, it’s quite an experience, I don’t think I’ve ever done that specifically before,” I said, seriously. “I’ve done an awful lot of odd things but that’s absolutely new.”

“Odd things, ya say?” Lorcan muttered. “I’ll say ye have.”

I snorted in disdain.

“Oh, you don’t know the half of it. At least I’m brave enough to go around with my face showing.”

I turned back to Quin and he practically cringed under my gaze. I wasn’t going to stab him, there was no need to make such a fuss.

“Did you fall through the ceiling too?” I asked, rather sarcastically. “And your brother?” That last one was a double question. I thought they were brothers but I wasn’t sure.

_____

Change anything, y’all!

@irishcelticredflowercrown

I wanted to start something but I couldn’t think of anything else for Lorcan to say XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy @emily-waldorf

ooh am I sensing an unlikely team of three here??!!😍😄

Sorry I haven’t been active. I need to sleep now so please give me 12 hours😂 I will concoct a perfect scenario with these characters hehe

Neasa

Lorcan

Lorcan smiled down at Quin in a way that he hoped was encouraging. He wasn’t sure yet what Quin’s feelings towards him were – positive or negative? Quin was a hard egg to crack for sure. But he’d get there. Somehow.

Quin introduced himself to the ever preening Liorah.

“I fell through the roof! Did you see it?”, she exclaimed. “I mean, it’s quite an experience, I don’t think I’ve ever done that specifically before. I’ve done an awful lot of odd things but that’s absolutely new.”

“Odd things, ya say?” Lorcan muttered under his breath. “I’ll say ye have.”

Liorah snorted at him.

“Oh, you don’t know the half of it. At least I’m brave enough to go around with my face showing.”

Lorcan raised an eyebrow. “So now you’re mocking my code? Very mature of you princess.”

Liorah whirled to face him again, eyes blazing. “Its not much of a code if your occupation is basically just killing people. Don’t act so offended.”

”Oh I’m not,” Lorcan said snarkily. “I’ve heard worse princess, so you still have a long <i>long </i>way to go.”

”Look at you,” she snapped. “You think I act all high and mighty? You strut around like a brightly feathered bird expected everyone to just instantly respect you and give you their gratitude for existing. Newsflash – you’re just like us you overpowered son of a camel.”

”And who are you then princess? What makes you think that you’re any better?” Lorcan stepped towards her, cold fire in his eyes. “What makes you think that you have the right to condemn me? Are you a living saint? <i>Are you</i>?”

Liorah opened her mouth, but he interrupted her. “I know what I’ve done. Trust me. <i>I know</i>. But the only one who will judge my actions is the Creator. Unless you are going to have a hand in my judgement – shut your mouth.” His eyes narrowed. “I mean it human. I refuse to discuss this any longer.”

He looked at Quin, whose eyes were swivelling back and forth between them nervously.

Lorcan sighed, releasing the steam simmering in his veins. “It’s okay Quin. We’re not gonna start anything anymore. No arguements.” He placed a hand on his heart to show his sincerity, then turned to glare at Liorah. “Right princess?”

@rose-colored-fancy
    @emily-waldorf

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Oh, goodness, I have no faith in my ability to write anything coherent because I’ve had to accept the fact that I actually am sick, but here goes.

Liorah

Lorcan raised an eyebrow. “So now you’re mocking my code? Very mature of you princess.”

I crossed my arms, tighter than needed, feeling the cold anger coursing through my veins.

“How much of a code do you need if you just have to kill people?” I shot him a bitter smile. “No offense.”

I meant every offense.

”Oh, none taken,” Lorcan said snarkily.  Honestly, he was unendurable. “I’ve heard worse princess, so you still have a long long way to go.”

I looked him up and down, a bitter smile the only thing I could muster.

“You dearly love to accuse me of arrogance, but when was the last time you looked in a mirror? You act as though you deserve respect merely by merit of– what? Blessing us with your presence? Saving us from ourselves with your mighty power? If you ever looked beyond your inflated ego, you would realize that you’re just like us.”

I took a deep breath, trying to manage my temper, which was flaring higher than it should. It did nothing but get me in trouble. Would I never learn?

”And who are you then princess? What makes you think that you’re any better?” Lorcan stepped toward me, his temper also getting a hold of him. “What makes you think that you have the right to condemn me? Are you a living saint? Are you?”

I started to speak, my anger rising, but he interrupted me. How dare he.

“I know what I’ve done. Trust me. I know. But the only one who will judge my actions is the Creator. Unless you are going to have a hand in my judgement – shut your mouth.” His eyes narrowed. “I mean it human. I refuse to discuss this any longer.”

“Guilt is not the same as accountability. You know what you’ve done and I’ve seen no sign that you’ve ever tried to grow beyond it. On the contrary, you’re proud of your guilt,” I said, taking a step forward as well. I balled my fists, feeling the tightness of my scars.

(Author’s note: Not necessarily true, he may have actually done that but Liorah is mad and biased)

I closed my eyes. This wasn’t how Gavril would handle this. I had to do better. I let out a deep breath and conciously loosened my fists.

“I’m the farthest thing from a saint that has ever lived. I’m stupid and naive and reckless and heartless and cruel and thoughtless–” I caught my breath, forcing myself to keep a hold of myself. I couldn’t break down now. I wouldn’t. I had to do better. “But I have bled and wept to be better than I was yesterday.”

I was just stumbling my way through this life, ruining everything I touched and desperately trying to hold everything together as it tore apart.

Quin’s gaze was shooting between Lorcan and me, calculating the danger, sensing the tension. Again, he reminded me of Aydin.

I forced my shoulders to droop, to release the tension knotting in my chest.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have shouted,” I said, quietly.

Lorcan sighed.

“It’s okay Quin. We’re not gonna start anything anymore. No arguments.” He placed a hand on his heart to show his sincerity, then turned to glare at Liorah. “Right princess?”

I bit down on a wicked grin.

“I have never started a fight. I have finished many.”

(Author’s note: She’s ignoring the fact that she started this XD)

I glanced over at Aydin. I was worried about him, but he was still asleep, though I couldn’t ignore the tension in his shoulders and the slight frown, even while he slept. Nightmares. He was probably in the middle of one and there was nothing I could do except be there when he woke up. Waking him now would be worse, not to mention dangerous for me.

I changed Liorah’s dialogue a bit but tried to keep Lorcan’s the same!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@everyone

HIIIIII GUYS I’M STILL ALIVE

Sorry I haven’t been posting y’all can just assume that Evie Niarok and Yila are hiding out in some corner until I have time to post… (which could still be awhile yet sorryyyy)

"Where there's life, there's hope; and need of vittles."
    -Samwise Gamgee

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@denali-christianson HIIIII! So glad you exist! Take whatever time you need. <3

Don't cry for me, for I go where music is born ~J.S. Bach

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Quin

“I fell through the roof! Did you see it?” Liorah grinned.

“I mean, it’s quite an experience, I don’t think I’ve ever done that specifically before.” The grin vanished.“I’ve done an awful lot of odd things but that’s absolutely new.”

She and Locran shot glances and high words at each other. Quin leaned on his crutches and tried to pretend he wasn’t there.

“Did you fall through the ceiling too? And your brother?”

Quin blinked. She was fast-paced.

“No. Qatar and I just…appeared, I guess. And yes, he is my brother.”

As quickly as she had directed her attention to him, she switched back to Locran.

Quin looked from one to the other. Their muscles grew tense and cold fires kindled in their eyes.

“I know what I’ve done. Trust me. I know. But the only one who will judge my actions is the Creator. Unless you are going to have a hand in my judgement – shut your mouth.” Locran’s eyes narrowed. She had hit a tender spot.

“Guilt is not the same as accountability,” Liorah almost snapped.  “You know what you’ve done and I’ve seen no sign that you’ve ever tried to grow beyond it. On the contrary, you’re proud of your guilt.”

Quin winced. That’s not for you to know. Nightmares tickled the back of his mind. He clenched his fists and forced them back.

Liorah closed her eyes, trying to regain control.  When she spoke her voice was measured, careful not to shake.“I’m stupid and naive and reckless and heartless and cruel and thoughtless–” She paused. “But I have bled and wept to be better than I was yesterday.”

Quin took a step back. The pain her words sent shivering through him was almost real. Only a little less real than the words that throbbed in his brain. I haven’t.

Liorah’s glance strayed to Quin. His glance shifted away, then slowly back.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have shouted,” she seemed to be talking to Quin as much as Locran.

Lorcan sighed. “It’s okay Quin. We’re not gonna start anything anymore. No arguments.” He placed a hand on his heart to show his sincerity, then turned to glare at Liorah. “Right princess?”

“I have never started a fight. I have finished many.”

It was good-natured again, but nothing they had said to each other could be taken back. Even if they wanted to.

“Right.” Quin didn’t realize he’d answered for Liorah until he heard his own voice, firmer than he felt. “I mean–I didn’t mean–dash it all, you’re a princess?”

Right. Just what I need.

Quin shot Locran a dark look, trying to keep him from running to his aid. Then with a lurch he knew must look like a fall Quin jerked his crutch away and dropped to his knee.

“Your highness.”

From the tingling stillness in the air above his head, Quin knew that wasn’t what Liorah expected. What would royalty from another country expect? Or is it another world.

He didn’t dare look up, for fear of seeing grins on the others’ faces.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy @irishcelticredflowercrown forgot to tag you. 😀

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

LOL, I love how Quin’s first reaction was “noPE!! Bad idea!!” XD Liorah does that to people and it always makes me laugh.

I could leave it at “I love how Quin…” XD I found out that I actually do like the boy.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

HELLO GLAD YOU’RE HERE AWESOME TO SEE YOU!! And don’t worry about it! Take your time!

@emily-waldorf

I could leave it at “I love how Quin…” XD I found out that I actually do like the boy.

Don’t we all 🥰🥰 Precious sweetheart. Aww, his reaction to Liorah being a princess was so sweet and it’s going to fluster her so much XD

Liorah

“Right.” Quin said, “I mean–I didn’t mean–dash it all, you’re a princess?”

I blinked, rapidly. Oh, of course. He didn’t know. I shrugged and nodded.

Quin moved his crutch out of the way so he went down on his knee.

“Your highness.”

Oh, no, nonono. That couldn’t be for me. Blood rushed to my cheeks as I flushed as red as a poppy. It was all a mistake, I didn’t deserve that.

“Oh, no, bless your heart,” I hurriedly sat down so I was back on eye level with him. I couldn’t stand feeling like I was supposed to be more than someone else. They’d just end up disappointed with any expectations of me.

Princess Liorah could never keep up with everything thrown at her, all the crushing expectations as she made another mistake, bringing everything crashing down. Princess Liorah was a royal failure, a grand disappointment.

Just Liorah was whoever I wanted her to be.

“That’s too kind of you, but you don’t need to.” I laughed nervously, the flush still hot in my cheeks.

“The only people who ever call me Your Highness are my mother when she’s scolding me, foreign ambassadors who detest me and try to hide it and certain people when they’re trying to be sarcastic,” I said, my words coming too quick and too fast.

“Please, just call me Liorah, I can’t stand titles,” I said, trying to hide my embarrassment.

What had I ever done to make him feel like he was supposed to do that for me? I hadn’t meant to.

I got up and offered him my hand to help him up, like I would have done with anyone else.

“Just– ignore the princess thing. Everyone else does,” I said, suddenly shy.

I didn’t like when people brought it up or treated me like I was anything more. I didn’t need the rising pressure, the rising expectations, ready to all fall down and crush me in an instant. I was sure to knock it down sooner rather than later.

Lorcan laughed and I shot him a quick glare.

Quin’s single polite action had flustered me more than any of Lorcan’s insults.

Neasa

Lorcan

Quin knelt. To Liorah.

Lorcan stood stock still, his face twitching. He was still smarting from Liorah’s harsh words about him not dealing with his guilt. Which was complete rubbish. He felt guilt for every life he had ever taken. But he had repented. He was still repenting for his sins. And he also had a purpose. All of that kept him from collapsing under the weight of his guilt. Of course he acknowledged what he did! Liorah didn’t know what she was talking about. Right?

Before he could continue thinking on this, his thoughts were interrupted by the scene before him. unexpectedness of Quin’s move was – almost too much for him to handle. His chest tightened as he struggled to keep on his blank expression.  Liorah had gone pink and was now attempting to get him to stand up again. Seeing her flustered made it even more hilarious. She helped Quin up, quickly explaining that no one ever called her “Your highness”.

Unable to hold it in, he burst out laughing. He bent down and slapped his knee. “That is some scene.” He snorted as he tried to control his laughter.

Liorah helped Quin up and gave Lorcan an evil look. It was clear that she was very very embarrassed. Quin too was turning red as Lorcan continued to laugh. He obviously thought he was laughing at him. Not at all – Lorcan was just laughing at the the absurdity of kneeling to Liorah. He hadn’t thought of it until now – he felt mighty sorry that he didn’t live in Liorah’s realm. Seeing crowds bowing to her would have been hilarious to see.

He tried to speak, but couldn’t through his laughter. “It’s ok-okay-I-I’m-not-laughing at you-<i>stars and planets thats just so funny haHAHA!” </i>

Eyes tearing up, he struggles to pull himself together. So far, his assassin character front had just about disintegrated, but he didn’t care. “I’m not laughing at you boy. Its just I’m not used to seeing – this princess here actually get treated <i>like</i> a princess. Jeepers, this cracks me up.”

”Will you ever just mind your own business?” Liorah thundered.

He sat back against a boulder, still grinning at Liorah who looked ready to murder him. It was clear that she didn’t want to be treated like royalty.

“I’ve known royalty you know,” he said seriously, still smiling. “Smug seaweed brains the lot of them. They expect the golden treatment just because of their special bloodline. So the fact that you don’t want to be treated like one – I can respect that.” He nodded at her sightly to emphasise his point. “Who knows. Maybe I judged you too harshly human.”

He hoped that was the first and last time he would ever have to compliment her.

@rose-colored-fancy

Oh sure feel free to change Liorah’s dialogue, she is your character after all 🙂 I’m sorry to hear that you’re sick, hope you get better soon hun!❤️

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

He hoped that was the first and last time he would ever have to compliment her.

HA!!! btw I just about died reading that post, LOL!

Oh, goodness, I have no faith in my ability to write anything coherent because I’ve had to accept the fact that I actually am sick, but here goes.

YOU’RE SICK AND YOU DIDN’T TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE EMOJI GET-WELL CAKES I EXPECT YOU TO EAT EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM!!!!!!! 🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰☕🍰☕🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍙🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰

Poor thing, get plenty of sleep, ok? No projects instead of sleep!! ❤️💖❤️ *Me: writing this exactly 22 minutes late for a shower and bed…*

*Waait…you did tell me you didn’t feel well, but I thought you meant emotionally……*

😁

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

*patiently waits for an opportunity for Rúan to interact with someone*

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

calidris
    @calidris

@mamaauthoress

I would love to start up an interaction!  I haven’t been active recently, so I don’t want to disturb the current dynamics lol

Would Ruan be up for interacting with Basil?  He’s rude and annoying and completely socially incompetent, but he had a rather sad and traumatic upbringing – so basically, he’s like just about every other character in this castle at the moment lol

Or, Ruan could hang out with Saskia – she’s a little bit more sociable 🙂

Remind me, what’s Ruan’s backstory again?  Or, if you want to let it show naturally in his interactions, that’s fine too!

I feel like I’ve asked this question before, but @everyone seriously, what is it with this particular group of authors and tormenting characters with sad childhood backstories?

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

I’m sorry to hear that you’re sick, hope you get better soon hun!

YOU’RE SICK AND YOU DIDN’T TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE EMOJI GET-WELL CAKES I EXPECT YOU TO EAT EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!

Poor thing, get plenty of sleep, ok? No projects instead of sleep!!   *Me: writing this exactly 22 minutes late for a shower and bed…*

Thank you both! I’m completely better so that was fast! XD Thanks for the virtual cake, Cathy! It was excellent! (Also, be responsible and go to bed, you have deadlines to murder)

*Waait…you did tell me you didn’t feel well, but I thought you meant emotionally……*

Aaaannnnd we have a winner folks!!!! *pink glitter erupts from ceiling* The third person to tell me this, one of whom was one of my parents!! Apparently everyone is more used to me being emotionally catawampus than actually sick XD

No, honey, emotionally I am A-OK, besides being frustrated at being too sick to do anything. I am completely good! Thank you for worrying either way <3

@calidris

I feel like I’ve asked this question before, but @everyone seriously, what is it with this particular group of authors and tormenting characters with sad childhood backstories?

We’re all extremely dramatic and somehow managed to get all our emo characters in a group! Besides that, we don’t know when to stop torturing characters and never go halfway with anything, including trauma!!! 😀

And for y’all who remember @calidris’ Misu… I have something very interesting…

*drumroll*

*More drumroll*

TADDAAAA!!! Sweet angel-boi forgot to turn off the flaming wheels again. He’s going to accidentally scare the heck out of someone and then look very sheepish about it. Sweetheart.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,726 through 1,740 (of 2,553 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest