-
Zee replied to the topic For Critique: Novel in Progress, Chapter One in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 1 month ago
Thanks for reading, Gracie! I appreciate it. Yes, this is by no means a finalized draft, so I’m sure there are plenty of typos lurking. At this point, I’m looking more at story flow, possible plot holes, character development–stuff like that.
Would you be interested in giving me a more in-depth critique of the whole thing as I go along? If so,…[Read more]
-
Gracie replied to the topic For Critique: Novel in Progress, Chapter One in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 1 month ago
I love your story past and plan! With that description, I would buy it.
I saw a few minor typos, but that (from my point of view) was all that was wrong per se.
I liked how you described the atmosphere of the old man’s home. And then this:
a dark sadness without an end in sight.
That stuck with me.
….When he saw them, he stopped…
-
Zee started the topic For Critique: Novel in Progress, Chapter One in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 2 months ago
As this is the third book in a series, it might be a little confusing to just jump in–so, a little background is in order. While the series genre is Romantic Suspense, we also have some fantasy/alternative history elements at play due to the fact that the stories are set in Sevia. It’s a fictional Eastern European country, plagued by unrest and…[Read more]
-
JasonKarpf posted an update in the group Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
Hello, fellow nerds. I just signed a book deal with Elk Lake Publishing for my Christian sci-fi novel, Brimstone 1. I teach marketing at Christian universities around the country. Looking forward to connecting and learning in this group.
-
JasonKarpf joined the group Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
-
Arindown replied to the topic Fresh Eyes in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 2 months ago
@zee Hey! Nice to meet you!
I think if you want feedback, you just ask, and people can jump on if they’d like.
If you tell me a little bit more about your story, I might be interested. Around StoryEmbers, we love reading and helping out with other people’s stories.
-
Ok, sounds good! My WIP is the third book in a series; the first two have already been published. The series genre is technically Romantic Suspense, but since the stories are set in the fictional country of Sevia, I also have a fantasy/alternative history thing going. I’ll go ahead and post Chapter One here on the Contemporary Fiction forum, and…[Read more]
-
-
Mel replied to the topic Fresh Eyes in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 2 months ago
Oh, we love helping people with their current writing works!
So what I normally do, and other people, is post your story in whatever group (fantasy, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, horror, mystery/suspense/thriller, romance, sci fi, or writers of children’s books) it fits in on the forum page. (Make sure you’ve joined that…[Read more]
-
Zee replied to the topic Fresh Eyes in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 2 months ago
And I forgot to say–I’d be happy to offer feedback in exchange.
-
Zee started the topic Fresh Eyes in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 2 months ago
I’ve been a member of another great online community ChristianWriters.com, for a little over two years now. In that time I’ve learned so much about the craft of writing/storytelling, and gotten amazing encouragement and help–so much so that I ended up self-publishing two short novels this year.
Now, with my third in progress, I feel that I need…[Read more]
-
Zee joined the group Mystery/Suspense/Thriller Writers 6 years, 2 months ago
-
Zee joined the group Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 2 months ago
-
Zee joined the group Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
-
Cathy joined the group Mystery/Suspense/Thriller Writers 6 years, 2 months ago
-
Josiah DeGraaf replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
Hey Rebekah!
Great questions. My personal opinion for some time has been that I think a number of writers feel a need to publish a lot sooner than they need to–or than it’s necessarily wise to do so. Truth be told, there’s no rush to get published and if the additional time allows you to better hone your craft and put together a smashing first…[Read more]
-
Rebekah.Elizabeth posted an update in the group Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 2 months ago
Hey, fellow writers!
I have a question for y’all…
I have written a book that takes place in Japan, and for a year it was published on Amazon. (I have now decided to unpublish it.) I am now realizing that middle-way knowledge of Japan, knowing most of the big details of it, but missing a bunch of the little day-to-day things that anyone who is rea…[Read more]-
Hi Rebekah.Elizabeth! I’m very new here, too, but I saw your question and was intrigued, because I also decided to go the “made-up country” route when writing my new series, for various reasons that are probably not relevant to your case.
Personally, I’d rather read about a character from Japan (or England, or Morocco, or wherever) even if you…[Read more]
-
Thanks for the response! (And sorry about my delayed reply, I’m crazy busy lately.)
I also prefer to read a story that takes place in a more well-described land than a “foreign country.” The problem that I was facing is that this character was imprisoned in that country for x amount of years because they had been caught distributing illegal…[Read more]
-
-
-
Rebekah.Elizabeth joined the group Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 2 months ago
-
Rebekah.Elizabeth replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
@josiah @taylorclogston and @daeus-lamb
I’m so sorry for the late reply. I wrote a response that didn’t post, then have had an incredibly busy few weeks, and didn’t think to check to make sure it posted. ): But I do very much so appreciate that you have taken the time to help me out and give me advice.
To keep you updated, since I last posted,…[Read more]
-
Selah CJW replied to the topic To self-publish or not to self-publish? in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
Okay, that was super helpful. Thanks for the thoughts! I’ll check all that out…and if anyone else has thoughts, pitch in as well. 🙂
-
Daeus Lamb replied to the topic To self-publish or not to self-publish? in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
(The Mindset Course is under our Resources tab)
-
Selah CJW replied to the topic To self-publish or not to self-publish? in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
Okay, also I have had several younger writers beta reading my book. Whether that’s good or not, there it is. XD I find it helpful on a small scale, personally, even if I don’t always like their ideas.
I also realize that my own opinion (that my book is awesome and I’m pretty good at editing it) may be highly biased, so be brutal if necessary. I…[Read more]
- Load More













Okay, here’s the idea. Would you be willing to put your email up here? On this thread? It won’t show on the ‘recent activity’ page.
Unless someone’s specifically looking for this thread (or a part of the conversation) they shouldn’t find it. And then you can erase what you put on this thread, where you can’t on the other.
Sure, that sounds good. I’m still figuring out all the nuts and bolts of this site. Here’s my email: btznvnt@gmail.com
Now you can just send an email to me, and then I’ll have your address, and you won’t have to put it on the forum at all.
Thanks!
I actually haven’t received an email from you yet. If you’ve changed your mind about critiquing for me, that’s fine, but I just wanted to let you know in case you thought I’d received it.
No! I still would like to critique! I sent an email to you, it just didn’t go through. I will be trying again as soon as I’m done with this post.
Ok, I sent it.