Fantasy Writers

Wingfeather Saga 5th book RP

Viewing 11 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@lydiajoy,

I don’t go by Ella, actually, although I LOVE the name. 🙂 I go by Joelle, and for those who knew me on another website (the forum shut down), Kinnan. Feel free to call me either, or AQ (what I go by on yet another website). Actually, that website that the forum shut down on was the Wingfeather Saga website. 🙂

Ok, I’m almost 15, so we’re not that far apart. 🙂 And I totally agree about homeschool.

Ooh, your book sounds really good! I would totally read that if I found it at the library (no joke). It’s right up my alley. 🙂 Is it more of a fantasy with a historical fiction touch or a historical fiction with a fantasy touch? And I love your names; any special way you got them?

The main gist of my book/series is that it’s about nine people who try to get rid of a tyrant (or two). Not the most original, but I think it’s good for practice, if not a first thing. 🙂

"I found not being able to use a pen or pencil as defeating as the loss of her beak would be to a hen."

Mischievous Thwapling
      @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

Aha! My memory doth not deceive me!  Since everybody’s been changing their quotes, I just wasn’t sure 😛

@lydiajoy

Welcome! Nice to meet you! So glad you’re joining! And yes, I completely understand not being able to write consistently.  I’ve been on Story Embers a lot less lately because school is going kinda crazy. 😉

Like Joelle Stone said (She’s Kinnan to me :P), I don’t think any of us know each other out of this website or other writing Role Plays, but I do believe that @wingiby-iggiby and @kylie-wingfeather both live in the same state, though I don’t know how far away from each other.  But I hope someday I can meet everybody on here in real life.  As you said, they’re such a fun group.

Wow, your novel sounds really cool!! 57 chapters is AMAZING!  Do you have any idea of how many chapters there is going to be in total?

I live in Arizona, so I guess not terribly close to Iowa unfortunately 🙁 But who knows? I mean, God does amazing things.  Maybe someday we’ll meet! (I hope we do!)

To answer your question, I’m a homeschooled, and I’m almost 14 (So I guess I’m probably a year-ish younger than Joelle-stone, since she’s almost 15), and I’ve also been homeschooled all my life.  Yes, I have to agree with you on homeschooling.  It’s the best!

Yes, I’m writing a book, but I’m only on chapter 2. *sheepish smile*

@kylie-wingfeather

Aaaah!  Your new quote is the best!! Really, it almost brings tears to my eyes as I think about it..

@wingiby-iggiby

I also love your new quote! It’s awesome!

No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader ~RF

LydiaJoy
        @lydiajoy

@joelle-stone, my goal is to write a book that I (and others like me) would pick up at a library and enjoy. I feel like there’s not enough good, interesting, clean, well-written fiction out there. Thanks for your encouragement!

To answer your questions: It’s mostly fantasy with a little medieval/historical fiction incorporated. I’m trying to introduce some simple magic into the book and all the animals are fictional combinations of real animals and things, so that makes it more fantasy. As for the names, the character names are largely from baby name books (I only feel a little weird checking those out from the library… 🙂 ). Place names are actually Latin words, though whenever I combine words (e.g., Insula Nova, Magnum Oppidum, Alta Arborae), I’m probably messing up the correct cases, genders, and whatever. The meanings of the Latin words relate to the place they name. Silva is the country covered in woodlands. Silva is Latin for Forest. The name of a nearby island is the Latin word Undae which means waves.

Also, I would definitely read your book too. 🙂

Thanks everybody for being so welcoming!

LydiaJoy
          @lydiajoy

Oh, and, @mischievous-thwapling (great name, btw), I’m not sure how many chapters I’ll have in total. 75? 85? I really don’t know. I also may combine chapters, cut chapters, add chapters, you know, it’s a first draft.

I’d love to hear about your book if you’re sharing.

Joelle Stone
            @joelle-stone

@lydiajoy,

Ha, yeah. I have actually never seen a book like that at my library, but then again, my library is tiny and I don’t normally look for that kind of stuff. ;P However, I do keep random lists of names and use Latin as well! My Latin is just random stuff compiled into cool names, though, and I use other languages like Sudanese, Catalan, and Basque. 🙂

"I found not being able to use a pen or pencil as defeating as the loss of her beak would be to a hen."

Kylie Wingfeather
              @kylie-wingfeather

@lydiajoy

Welcome!!! I haven’t been on here lately (So much schoolwork!) but I will hopefully post some soon. I’ve just been waiting for someone else to post. I totally agree about homeschool being the best!

@mischievous-thwapling

Me and @wingiby-iggiby both live in North Carolina, though I think she lives more towards Raleigh and I live in the Blue Ridge Mountain area. I love my new (and first; I couldn’t figure out how to do it for the longest time!) quote too!

"He was still. And he was loved."

~The Warden and the Wolf King, The Maker

Mischievous Thwapling
                @mischievous-thwapling

@lydiajoy

Thanks! (about my name, I mean)

Ah, yes, I completely get that.  I always thought first drafts must look so much different from the finished product.

Well, let’s see.  It’s a wee bit hard to explain, but in it’s simplest form it’s about a man in the government (in a fantasy world) poisoning an old mysterious tribe, who live separately and who used to cause war and ruin, with something so that they turn–er, it’s hard to phase, but let’s just use this analogy: You know how when something gets rabies, it’s super aggressive and stuff? Well, sufficient to say, he’s doing that to them and placing the infected ones strategically so as to distract the government and to make them think that tribe is trying to rise to power, and so as to sow panic among the people.  So he’s doing that while he tries to unlock an old place where there’s a dark species imprisoned that used to rule and cause terror.  There’s  A LOT more to it, but it’s hard to explain, especially on the internet.  I think it’s less cheesy and stuff in my book than it sounds–or at least that’s what I hope!  But yes, I’m terrible at explaining what books, whether they’re my own or not, are about.

@joelle-stone

Ok, let’s cut to the chase: your new profile pic is marvelous. Are those your cats? I NEED TO CUDDLE THEM!!!

@kylie-wingfeather

Ah, that makes sense.  Wouldn’t it be cool if you two crossed paths someday? And yes! The quote’s the best!

No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader ~RF

Joelle Stone
                  @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

Yep! Well, the brown tabby is. Her name is Stormy, and she’s very cuddly. 😉 The other one was my sister Kaleia’s cat, Scrub. She died a year or so ago. :-*( But then we found a long-haired short-legged friendly kitten in our barn, so Kaleia took her in. Her name is Tally Ho. (She’s adorable, and loves being a house cat…) 🙂 Do you have any cats?

Mischievous Thwapling
                    @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

Awww! And a sad awww for Scrub. 🙁  But that’s awesome about Tally Ho! (I love that name)
                      Well, we did have a cat named Lego (my brother named her when he was really little), and she was a beautiful calico.  But she died about a year ago too 🙁 But we didn’t buy another cat sadly, though I do wish we did!

Joelle Stone
                      @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

I’m sorry! If you don’t mind me asking, how did she die?

Tally Ho’s name has a long story. My dad had a thing about naming his pets with S names (Sunny, Samantha, etc.), and it carried on into his kids. When we found Stormy and her siblings (Scrub, Samwise/Sammy/Samwise Gamgee Boy etc., & Sneakers), it seemed only fitting to name them with S’s. When we found Tally, my older sib thought “S for spoiled cats. We should do a T for (I think it was) terrible cat!” For the record, Tally’s not terrible. She can just get a little… crazy… 😛 Tally Ho popped out in a random sentence and we all froze. Then “Yes! Let’s name her Tally Ho!!” My dad calls her Tallywag since she acts like another fluffy orange cat we used to have name Scallywag (funny story behind that).

Here’s a pic: Black cat with brown eyes

She’s got a white chest, you just can’t see it. And her legs are really short, but she is fast!

Mischievous Thwapling
                        @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

Wow, that is a really fun history for a name! I always like it when names have a lot of meaning and back round behind them, like Tally Ho’s name!  That’s awesome!

*GASP* She’s so adorable!!! Awww!  Now I want a Tally Ho of my own!

I don’t mind! We’re actually not sure.  She was getting pretty old, and her health was declining, like she was losing a lot of weight even though we were feeding her well, so we think she could’ve padded off to a quiet corner to die peacefully, like animals so often do.  But she was an indoor and outdoor cat, so somebody could’ve seen her, as skinny as she was, and taken her in, thinking she was a stray.  Either way, she was a good cat 😛

Viewing 11 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Pin It on Pinterest