fb

Fantasy Writers

Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 486 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“They usually only change to match the appearance of the creature.” she said “Mine go from dark brown to gold, Ryuu’s from ice blue to midnight blue, and Nascha’s black to pale brown. There’s nothing terribly specific about it.”
    “Oh.” Alessio said, almost audibly making the mental adjustment. For a moment or two he couldn’t think of anything else to say so he glanced after Nithel quickly, with something of a look for approval. Nithel had said to make friends earlier and he hadn’t been able to hold a reasonable conversation with Virtus then. But he was doing ok now? Almost instantly, Alessio glanced back at Lupa, embarrassed that he wanted approval that badly.
    Brendin was talking with Jericho and Nithel was passing out the food, trying to talk to the new girl while Malvat was doing whatever Malvat was doing. After a second Alessio started to make a motion to wrap his arms around himself but halted himself and stared at the open garden area, soaking it in. No enclosed walls, no darkness, no horrible stench it was almost as if he was free. For a while at least, he was free. It hadn’t even registered how terrifying it had been for him to be trapped in the castle rooms until he was out in the open.
    Noting the pause was now tangible, Alessio’s gaze slid back to Lupa, but a little more relaxed than usually although not by much at all.
    “Did you choose to be a warrior?” He asked presently, for lack of anything else to ask.

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

The boy was offering her fruit. He looked at her hesitantly, then looked away. She wondered what he made of her. She had hurt his friend after all. Yet he was still offering her food. What was left of it anyway.

She stared at him carefully, then pushed his hands away, shaking her head. “You – eat,” she answered. Then she pointed at herself. “Me – fine.”

He looked at her with surprise. She looked away, folding her arms tight against her torso and stepped away slowly. Why was he being so kind? After she had just gone completely ballistic too. Blood was still covering her mouth and chin from the nosebleeds. She rubbed at it, wishing she had a tissue with her.

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @kimlikesart @joelle-stone @skylarynn @crazywriter @millennium

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Malvat burst through the hole after the others, showering dirt and rock down into the collapsing room. The ground beneath him held – miraculously. He attributed it to the overall strangeness of this place.

Raising his head to they sky, Malvat shook the rubble off his gleaming ebony body and sniffed the air. Clear, but somehow scented with something he’d never encountered before. Odd. A few birds flew overhead, screaming their indignation of the world, and trees draped with fruit waved in a slight breeze. Green grass was soft under his feet. The mankind were speaking in little groups here and there.

How quaint.

Malvat lowered himself into a lying position, watching the mankind nearest him. A Bearer of Fire was speaking with the shape-shifter, the one who made him almost as nervous as Jericho. Her thoughts were flitting back and forth between their conversation and shame about either her appearance or whatever force-field thing she’d done back in the room. Malvat zeroed in on the shame. This was an emotion easily manipulated. His silver eyes narrowed as he watched the girl – the name Lupa skipped across Alessio’s thoughts, so that was probably what she was called – and monitored her thoughts.

What power does she have, I wonder? he mused. I’ve never seen one such as hers, and I’ve been the Bestower for hundreds of years.

Something hissed inside of him, twining a black vine tighter around his coldening (IT IS A WORD AUTOCORRECT!!) heart and making him wince.

Death.

He winced again, anticipating what he already knew would happen next.

A bright tendril of ribbon reached for the black vine, pushing it backwards with warmth. When it brushed his heart he paused and reveled in the brief moment of pleasure.

Life.

The black reached forward again, entangling around the ribbon and trying to strangle it. Pain ripped through Malvat’s body and he shuddered, closing his eyes as he ordered the powers to halt their war. Of course they wouldn’t listen. Life and Death were the two most powerful of the powers and so were higher in rank than most kings of mankind or Amandril-folk. Only Kening and the Bestower were above them, and since Kening wasn’t actually in VaSerBo anymore and Malvat’s grip on his power as Bestower was slowly waning, the powers rarely complied to his wishes.

They were at war, and Malvat knew his hourglass was no longer stalled because of it. He had thought taking Life in when he realized what a mistake it had been to take Death was a good idea. Instead it had shortened his lifespan.

I’m a fool.

Malvat let a huff of air escape his nostrils as he closed his eyes and focused on keeping the pain inside his body from showing on his face. I’m a fool.

Yes, Death hissed back. But you’re a strong fool.

Do not listen to the blackness, Rusak, Life murmured. Malvat flinched, hating her use of his true name. It calls you into deeper mistakes.

So you admit I am a fool?

She was silent for a little bit and the pain in his body spasmed outward, making his tail flick before he curled it close to his body. You are. But Kening uses the fools to shame the wise.

I will relieve you of the pain, Malvat, Death broke in. But you have to accept.

Malvat instantly gave Death control. He already knew the power could stop Life from fighting if he let it, and that would ease the pain. So he granted Death permission, and the black tendrils wove a cage around his heart, neither touching it nor letting it be touched. Life withdrew, and her bright ribbons faded from feeling.

I am a fool, Malvat thought, letting a shuddering breath come out of his mouth as he let his taunt muscles relax. He opened his eyes, letting the blazing fury in them pour onto each of the mankind. But I am a triumphant one.

—————————

Woah… I didn’t realize my poor villain had so much internal conflict – literally. XD Guess that’s what this Castle is for! @millennium @irishredcelticflowercrown @kimlikesart @this-is-not-an-alien @crazywriter

https://thepeninspired.wordpress.com

EmilyRemixed
    @millennium

“A warrior…” Lupa repeated.

It felt so strange for someone to call her that. She was the bottom of the pack, liked by few people, driven by revenge and anger. Not noble, not powerful.

“I am no warrior. Many would say I’m a scoundrel. They encountered me in a squabble with some soldiers in the street. I don’t know what they saw in me…maybe it was my passion or hunger. Certainly not my obnoxious manner.” she frowned thoughtfully. “They just said to be ready and the next day sent someone to my door. He asked me some questions and told me to leave everything and come with him.”

She smirked. “I know it sounds silly. But I had nothing to lose and had a thirst for change. And change we are bringing.”

One day you'll be someone's favorite author.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“A warrior…” She tested the word like it didn’t fit. Alessio hadn’t been sure it would but he hadn’t known either and it was safer to let someone hear you assume better than worse. “I am no warrior. Many would say I’m a scoundrel.”
       And do you believe you are? But it didn’t even occur to him to interrupt. She sounded confident and upfront, in this particular matter. It instantly tripped his internal warning, but the slightest things did and honestly everybody here was potentially very dangerous, so he handled it easily enough.
    “They encountered me in a squabble with some soldiers in the street. I don’t know what they saw in me…maybe it was passion or hunger. Certainly not my obnoxious manner.” She believed it, she believed she was a scoundrel. Was she? And what was the ‘squabble’ about? Lupa frowned to herself and skipped the rest of the scene. “They just said to be ready and the next day sent someone to my door. He asked me some questions and told me to leave everything and come with him.”
    Her words were vague and Alessio had questions. Who were ‘they’? Certainly not the soldiers? Some questions, pertaining to what? What was she leaving and…He swallowed the details, points and inconsistencies for later as she smirked.
    “I know it sounds silly. But I had nothing to lose and had a thirst for change. And change we are bringing.”
    “What sort of change?” Alessio asked

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel glanced up as the girl touches his hands, her touch gentle, hesitant. She shook her head, as if afraid. Not wanting to impose. “You – eat,” She let go of him, and pointed at herself. “Me – fine.”

His brows lifted the smallest bit. He hadn’t expected her to refuse food. He breathed in and out, eyes looking at her face, the blood. His heart ached for her, and concern was in his eyes. If only he had a cup! He could fetch her water, or a rag to bathe her face…

He glances back to the water, and considers pulling her over there. But she might take it like he was trying to hurt her. He didn’t want to scare her, or possibly break trust. Or maybe bring water to her in his hands, but what good would that do? He pulled in a long slow breath again, eyes sliding to her’s, before he looked to the bag, and pulled out some dried fruit. He wasn’t sure what fruit it was, but… He held it out to her, and gestured with his head toward some water. “Come.” He held her eyes a moment, trying to put kindness and lightness in his own. Love.

After a moment, he glances to Alessio, making sure the youth is alright, before looking back to the girl, and taking a step toward the closest water. His voice soft, but still firm. “Come.”

As for eating some of it himself; he would only do that after everyone else had eaten. In that, he was like Gabrel.

——————-

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @irishcelticredflowercrown @joelle-stone @skylarynn @crazywriter @millennium

Jominkreesa

Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise.

Neasa

“Come,” the boy said to her softly, offering fruit to her.

This boy was testing her limits. And he was looking at her with an emotion that she had not seen in a long time. Was that truly-?

Mayra paled and took a step back. She didn’t want this. She didn’t deserve this kindness, this – compassion. Why? Why was he so good to her? Why was he looking at her like that?

“Are you – not afraid?” She said coolly and held out her hands, Reddish energy burst to life in her palms, her power running through her veins. “This – makes others – afraid. I hurt – with this.”

She turned away, bitterness filling her head like a dark cloud. “I – am bad. Don’t – you see?”

@millennium
    @this-is-not-an-alien  @joelle-stone @skylarynn @crazywriter

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

When she paled and took a step back, Nithel straightened, eyes concerned.

“Are you – not afraid? This – makes others – afraid. I hurt – with this.” As the heat flicked over her palms, his chest skipped beats. In all honesty, he was terrified. He had no doubt that it made others afraid, or that she had the ability to hurt with those hands.

But it didn’t make him hurt less for her, nor care less. It didn’t take away her worth. It didn’t take away the fact that she was a girl. Alone. Kind, but trapped in horrors of being the problem. “I – am bad. Don’t – you see?” She looked away, face twisting in bitterness.

He stared at her turned head a long time, his forehead wrinkling. Eyes steady and firm, thinking. Not cold, and not angry, but definitely thinking.

“I am scared of what you can do.” Softly, but his voice steady and slow. His eyes level on where she can meet his. Nithel’s chest burns, a fire burning in his bones, but he’s calm. Certain. Kind. “But it will not stop me from caring about you.” He nodded his head again, turning his body halfway toward the water, “Come.” We will see you drink and eat. Then he’d interrupt Alessio, even if he wasn’t done, to give him and the strange wolf/girl their food. And then… the dragon. Ack…
    And, that was assuming the world didn’t change again.

—————-

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Neasa

Mayra stared at him silently, her jaw tight. Her eyes were stinging as if she was holding back a wave of tears. This boy was either brave or stupid, to treat her with such courtesy. He wanted her to eat with them, even after everything that had happened. Her chest tightened at the sight of his soft eyes.

“You – should not – care,” Mayra answered. “Who – are you? Why – do this?” It came out strained and hoarse and she clenched her fists in anger at the weakness she felt within her. Her energy flickered around her body, feeding off of her emotions.

@kimlikesart
    @this-is-not-an-alien @millennium @skylarynn @crazywriter

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“You – should not – care,” Mayra’s voice was tight, her body tensing to where her hands fisted. “Who – are you? Why – do this?”

He breathed in and out, thinking. He didn’t look from her face, face serious, but still not unkind.

I was created for the protection of mankind. I love you; how could I go against my purpose? He straightens, turning back to her partway, his eyes open and sincere. His voice soft. “I am Nithel, son of Father. And I do it because I see no one else who will.” Love deserved is not true love given. He stands a moment, then holds out the fruit again, because it was getting warm in his hand. Gabrel had not liked warm fruit. “Come.” I would speak with you longer, but- Nithel glances around them. At the stone walls. At the filled-in hole which they’d come from. Every moment of peace is precious. “I will speak to you more if you eat.” Let us make haste, and not test time. 

——————-

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @irishcelticredflowercrown @joelle-stone (And oui oui, if Malvat was listening, he could understand the thoughts.) @skylarynn @crazywriter @millennium

Jominkreesa

Neasa

I am Nithel, son of Father. Those words bounced back and forth in Mayra’s head, over and over again. She shook her head, confused. What was he on about? Who was this father of his? And why did he not refer to him by his proper name?

Unless – unless that was his name.

The gears in her brain pushed themselves into motion as she stared at this stranger who had the eyes of someone who knew and felt everything. She remembered hearing about a religion dead for many centuries, whose followers claimed that the Creator himself came down in human form in order to save humanity. But she couldn’t recall from who. Besides, all that was left of that religion were abandoned church ruins left to the rats and strays and strange symbols sold in the black market.

Mayra found herself touching the pendant that she had owned since she was a child. The symbol of Anu, mystical messenger of the Creator. It was said that she protected those who wore that pendant around their neck. Of course that was just a fairy tale. Anu was just a myth. Nothing more, nothing less. She had no idea why she still owned this ridiculous trinket,

Nithel was still watching her quietly. She couldn’t speak. She didn’t exactly have the strength to, even if she wanted. All she could do was numbly take the fruit from his hands and force herself to eat it. It tasted sweet, with seeds in the middle that were soft enough to chew.

At least now, he could tell her more about who he was.

——————-

@this-is-not-an-alien
      @joelle-stone @skylarynn @crazywriter @millennium @kimlikesart

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

After Nithel spoke, he could see questions roiling in her mind. It was fine. Some of the seriousness left him, and his shoulders relaxed. Intrigue of his own coming as he watched her finger a pendent. A charm about the neck, like Alessio had before he gave the leather strap to Nithel. Perhaps they were from the same world? Both with strange powers, and both with similar customs, and similar looks. It wasn’t a far stretch.
    Maybe… He straightened some, releasing the dried fruit as she took it from his hand. His face was stoic now, blank, but again not unkind in its blankness. Just hiding, and planning. Now for the water. He gestured with his chin toward it, touching her eyes with a bit of light in his, then he went toward it, and knelt beside the small stream.

He glances again to Alessio, making sure his friend was still there. Alright. Warmth and wet emotion still touched him whenever he looked at his friend. Frustration at those who had harmed him. And now… the girl. Even if they had harmed others. Aching. It was the way of man. And his chest ached more, and he felt sick thinking about it.

Nithel set the sack of food beside him, not looking to see if the girl followed. He ran his fingers along the burlap, considering. It was too rough, and it would be best not to harm the bag. So he felt his own shirt, and then found the fraying edge he’d been trying to keep from unraveling for quite some time.

It would be good for cleaning her face, and then perhaps as a bandage if they had need of them in the future. The rest of his shirt could be undone for more in the future, again, if the need arose. He started to rip it.

———-

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Neasa

Mayra followed Nithel to the stream and cupped her hands in it, feeling the coolness of it. She drank thirstily, the dryness of her throat slowly recovering.

She heard a ripping sound and turned to see Nithel ripping his shirt. Her mouth fell open as he tore a large piece of it away. What was he-?

She felt the blood drip down her nose and her head cleared. Oh. Was that for her?

As he moved towards her with the fabric, a question blurted from her throat. She couldn’t understand why she was talking so much. What was going on? “Is Dewos real?”

He stopped, looking at her questioningly. She clenched her fists, heat rising up her neck. “Dewos – the – you know –  Creator? Is he real – or no?”

She had no idea why she was asking this boy such a ridiculous question. How was he supposed to know? Heck they probably weren’t even from the same world. She hated the fact that as always, her speech came out limited and strained, in stops and starts. But strangely, she didn’t feel embarrassed around Nithel.

——————-

@this-is-not-an-alien
       @joelle-stone  @skylarynn  @crazywriter  @millennium  @kimlikesart

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Neasa.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Neasa.
    Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

After Nithel had the patch, about the size of an adult’s hand, torn, he moved toward her on his knees, about to dip it in the water and hand it to her. But as his eyes touched her, she looked like she was going to burst. Questions spilling and jumping inside her more than the water.

She leaned forward, hoping, yet timid. Excited, but wary and wishing she wasn’t. “Is Dewos real?” The words were rushed, but forced.

Nithel stopped, his brows popping to the top of his forehead. Dewos? Who was his father? Why- He opened his mouth to ask a clarifying question, and she clenched her fists, and red touched her neck.

She gritted out, as if frustrated with herself, “Dewos – the – you know –  Creator? Is he real – or no?”

Ahh oh… The realization came to Nithel’s eyes, and he lifted his chin in understanding. Then he lowered it, excitement and joy in his eyes. *thought* A soft smile touched Nithel’s eyes, a twinkle, then his lips. I have seen Him. *memories/images/thoughts* But he wouldn’t say that. His tone was sure as he nodded twice, eyes serious but full of joy. “He is.”

——————

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Malvat listened to the mankinds converse with disinterest. Their petty concerns were of no value to him.

Until the empowered girl asked, “Is Dewos real?”

Surprise flitted through Malvat’s body. Who was Dewos? Why would she ask the one who thought in a different language this question? Were they from the same place?

“Dewos,” she repeated, “-the – you know – Creator? Is he real – or no?”

There was a moment of quiet, then Nithel replied with joy and gladness, “He is.”

Alright, time for this to end.

Malvat lifted his head and opened his silver eyes, boring into the mankinds’ eyes with them. “Aye, he’s real,” he rumbled, the disdain and hurt he was trying to hide probably clear in his tone. “But he doesn’t care about us, humans. Neither you, who think yourselves so superior, nor I, who am but a beast. He doesn’t care.”

The words were bitter. Malvat had tried to pretend, had gone along with everything else these wimpy creatures had done, but this was going too far. If they were going to spew words about Kening’s kindness and his deep love and his great sacrifice, Malvat was going to kill them all with one fiery breath.

Period.

———————————–

Aaaaaaand now Malvat is at odds with everyone. XDDD @kimlikesart @irishcelticredflowercrown @crazywriter @this-is-not-an-alien @millennium

https://thepeninspired.wordpress.com

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 486 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest