fb

Fantasy Writers

Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 486 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Alessio watched Nithel let the food roll back on the table, unobtrusively slipping his shirt back on. He dropped his gaze, starting to feel wretched for letting his jumpiness spread. His friend had to practically stay on pins and needles to keep him from having a meltdown. Why couldn’t he just–?
    Alessio consciously halted his thoughts there. Nithel wouldn’t want him to be thinking like that. It was kindness on his part and it was ungrateful to stay stuck in his own self-pity like this. Nithel was a good friend. A…real friend.
    “It was the Adenites.”
    The words were soft.
    It was just so wrong, Alessio didn’t know how to react. The last thing he wanted was the fly off the handle again but…He believes in You. What did he ever do!? What kind of God allows this…? Alessio couldn’t think of anything to say outloud. There was so much anger he’d spent so long trying not to feel, trying not to direct at anyone.
    But it was still hard to believe that he wasn’t just being played by anything and anyone stronger than him.
    “What sort of strategy could there be?” Nithel said, pulling Alessio back to the problem at hand. “You asked the Castle to make itself vulnerable, in some way, and it appears it agreed.”
    Probably not, but it didn’t instantly murder me so that’s something…
    “Though it could be a lie. If we refused to move, could it not close the walls on us? Forcing us to flee into a door. Or drop out the floor? Or fall the ceiling?”
    Very probable. His mind was whirring too many things, he didn’t know how to solve this he just knew he wasn’t going to keep being herded along by this monster.
    “What could be the worst thing behind each door? What have you seen before? Perhaps we could plan from that.” Alessio got hooked on the last question a little too much, whatever he had seen he certainly didn’t want to talk about. And of course, it’d be all too likely the Castle would use it against him.
    What were they going to do?
    Really.
    “We might plan from every worse case scenario but there’d be no way to prepare for every contingency…” Alessio said, and caught himself before he started pacing. “I think are biggest options narrow down to whether we want to try one of the doors or try to negotiate with the Castle itself.”
    If he was on his own he would’ve already done something reckless but now there were other lives at stake. He really, really didn’t know how to work in a group but was trying…
    “We should take a vote: who wants to move forward and who wants to pursue negotiation with the Castle?”

@kimlikesart
     @irishcelticredflowercrown @millennium @denali-christianson @skylarynn

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

“We should take a vote: who wants to move forward and who wants to pursue negotiation with the Castle?”

Jango and Brendin exchanged a glance, considering.  “Well,” Brendin began with a wry smile, “last time I tried to negotiate with an eldritch being, I lost something.”  He lifted the golem arm to show them, the burnished argil glinting like sand.  “Granted I’ve not had much luck fighting them either.”  He lifted the hem of his shirt far enough to show the patchwork of scars across his torso.  Burns from Ignatius, deep gouges from when Aetius had sicced his harpies on them, and pock-like punctures from the fight with Cassius.
    Memories began to surface in his mind.  The Idols could’ve easily destroyed the continent; they were lucky Acantha, Honestus and Justinian had come to their side.  Brendin would’ve died without Honestus’s help.
    Jango seemed to follow Bren’s train of thought, judging from his expression.  He always seemed to know what everyone was thinking.  He laid a hand on Bren’s shoulder, stirring him from the memories.
    “Are you well, brother?” Jango asked in Kith.
    “Fine,” Bren answered, though he didn’t sound overly convinced.  He dropped the hem of his shirt and looked back and Alessio.  In the common language he continued: “I think we should move on.”

@kimlikesart
    @this-is-not-an-alien @millenium @denali-christianson @irishcelticredflowercrown

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

My Lord Castle is getting impatient but forces My Lord Castle to wait.

*begins coming up with mischief for if they stay, though he didn’t expect it* And ooh. Moo hoo ha-

Nithel’s stomach flips when the man lifts his shirt enough to show the scars. Memories rush him, ones he’d tried desperately to forget but refused to leave.

Nithel lowered his head and knelt by the pillow. He took out his short knife, and cut one end open, intending to let them discuss and decide. He began pulling out the stuffing, which he couldn’t identify…

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Well,” Brendin said with a wry smile, “last time I tried to negotiate with an eldritch being, I lost something.”
    He motioned his false arm, the one that Alessio had noticed earlier and dismissed just as quickly.
    “Granted I’ve not had much luck fighting them either.” He showed the scars across his torso, not much better than Alessio’s scars either. He’s never had any luck with eldritch beings, personally, but they seemed to enjoy chasing haunting him to no end. It still made him shaky to think about it. And it would still be waiting for him if they ever made it back.
    Brendin’s friend had seemed to pick up on Bren’s mood and said something in their language. During that time, Alessio glanced at Nithel, who was pulling out stuffing. What did the pillow ever do to you? He thought instinctively before picking up on what his friend was doing. It would make a decent bag.
    “I think we should move on.” Brendin said, and Alessio nodded slowly. It felt like moving was just running in circles but was negotiating going to be much better? Really didn’t matter, as long as a decision was made.
    “What’s your opinion?” Alessio asked, turning to Nithel. Before he could answer, a low rumble stole from Malvat.
    “We should move on.” The dragon growled intimidatingly. Which Alessio didn’t care, he leveled a murderous glare at Malvat. It was Nithel’s turn to be heard and Malvat had no right to bowl over him. Although, in the back of his mind, Alessio didn’t recognize the dragon’s voice; it was more hissing and mechanic.
    “Noted.” Alessio said coolly, and flagrantly ignored Malvat. “What do you think, Nithel?”
    Behind him he could hear the dragon’s breathing, low and placid, before the sound retreats into a corner in the shadows.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“What’s your opinion?”

Nithel’s blood ran cold a moment when he heard those words, upon realizing they were directed at him.

The dragon rumbled, interrupting whatever thoughts Nithel might’ve said. “We should move on.”

The thing’s presence was unsettling, but Nithel thought the phrase had saved him from answering. Nithel slowly stood with his new bag, sheathing his knife. The dragon didn’t want him heard, Why? (Of course, he didn’t know why Alessio would either.)

“Noted.” Alessio looked back at Nithel, saying the word in a way that seemed he didn’t note it at all. Didn’t care what the dragon thought. “What do you think, Nithel?”

Nithel’s stomach tightened, even as his chest warmed a bit, touched. He watched the winged lizard slink into a corner, warily.

Nithel looked at Alessio, and kept himself from saying, I will follow. As all the soldiers were told to do. His thoughts race, but Nithel nods to Alessio, acknowledging he heard while considering. Finally, he lifts his head and looks at Alessio, Brendin, and Jango. His voice is respectful, even, and steady. Like I already said, “We should sit and eat half-full, and discuss what we are going to face, as far as we are able to. Decide which door we wish to face and whether the image on the door is accurate, or the opposite, of what lies within.” He lowered his head toward them a moment, a sign that he was done, and would defer to their agreement.

________

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Nithel’s first look instantly told him his friend did not want to be called on, almost as much as Alessio had not wanted to socially interact with anyone when he first arrived. He still wasn’t really comfortable with it… Alessio promptly filed that away feeling really bad for making his friend uncomfortable.

After a time, Nithel did speak, thoughtfully.

“We should sit and eat half-full, and discuss what we are going to face, as far as we are able to. Decide which door we wish to face and whether the image on the door is accurate, or the opposite, of what lies within.”

Alessio hadn’t thought about images on the door, but Nithel had a point (…while tactfully dodging a larger role in the decision-making process). Who knew what was behind those doors whatever the Castle claimed about them…Alessio nodded, considering their options.

“Then it’s decided,” he said “we’ll need to determine which door to try first, and how to prepare.”

Which would take a while if they actually plan ahead, there were a lot of contingencies to go over and strategies to prepare, but Alessio suspected no one would have the patience for it. At the very least they did need to eat. Alessio grabbed a handful of some sort of grapes, before frowning at the doors and trying not to look as restless and anxious as he felt.

@kimlikesart
    @irishcelticredflowercrown @millennium @denali-christianson @skylarynn (sry about the delay XD lol I didn’t expect collage to be this busy how dare it XD)

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

The discussion around the table turned into a debate of those present. A sometimes heated, and elongated, one.

My Lord Castle was about as sick of it as My Lord Castle could sense many of the beings were. My Lord Castle was about to do something.

—-

Nithel sat, not looking at anyone as he chewed, and rubbed his chin. He had tuned most of the voices out by now, in his own thoughts. He fingered the wooden pieces, watching memories in his mind, ones that tugged his heart in good ways. Ones that made the ache inside worse, and his longing for home.

He glanced up toward Alessio, and caught the lad staring at him. Nithel offered a sad smile, then sighed through his nose, and looked down.

The table vanished and a wind started. Seeming to blow from nowhere and go everywhere. Shoving some of the beings together, others apart, pushing different groups toward different doors.

—-

My Lord Castle intends to keep Alessio and Nithel together, It was easier to use Alessio with Nithel near… and started thrusting them toward the watery door.

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Just kill me now…

This was a long, sick agonizing discussion that he was trying to mediate in. And any braincell not actively engaged in strategizing and debating was calculating what the chances were that someone would just stab him already. This was why he couldn’t rely on people; people argue and never get anything done if they have to work together.

He stifled an irritated breath and resisted the sudden urge to steal food from the table. Not because he was still hungry, just for the assurance that he had something in case…This really wasn’t then, why couldn’t he recover faster, he knows this is irrational!

Whenever he couldn’t process any more stress, Alessio peeked at Nithel, because he still needed the reassure himself his friend was still there.

Then everything exploded into chaos, and Alessio found himself being hurtled toward one of the doors, as it slowly opens. He curses loudly before he’s slammed down the opening, almost blind with furious panic. A jolting pain springing through his spine is the first thing he’s aware of as he lands, or is knocked into a wall.

“You sick bastard,” Alessio gasps, unsteady on his feet for a couple seconds.

It was dark, a sort of thick darkness that could barely let you see silhouettes of shapes if you’re alert. It was ironic the first curse he could think of what to call the castle a bastard, he was one and he’s had it flung in his face all too often. It was just the first and the worst thing he could think up.

Everything was shaky, and then Alessio noticed his hands wouldn’t stop shaking again. It felt like every molecule in his body was trembling so hard he couldn’t move. There wasn’t an opening or a window, the air was so hot and stifling he couldn’t breathe at all. It probably wasn’t in reality; it was just his body reacting to the stress and he couldn’t control it. He was so angry at the castle and with his own helplessness to stop it.

With a harsh cry, Alessio rammed his fist into the wall, even while knowing full well it wouldn’t do anything.

“You think driving people insane makes you better then them?!” He shouted, oblivious to anything else. “You’ll never have anything worthwhile and you can’t because you’re just a monster!”

He hit the wall as hard as he physically could, feeling his insides crack with every blow. “A stupid-! Devil-cursed–! Son of ghoul–!”

Alessio kicked it for good measure. Then he wheeled back to hit it again, cursing, everything in a blur.

@kimlikesart
    , @irishcelticredflowercrown @millennium @denali-christianson @skylarynn

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“Alessio.” Nithel’s voice was softer than he expected it to be, but steady and firm. He slipped between Alessio and the wall, catching the youth’s flying hand in both of his, squeezing, keeping it from moving. He looked into Alessio’s eyes, pain fighting fatigue in his own. Fear, but a calmness that was stronger. Nithel stood there a moment longer, his chest still breathing heavily from the shove, his muscles trembling. He squeezed Alessio’s hand again, almost as if to say, It’ll be okay. Though that’s not exactly the words Nithel would use…

Nithel licked his lips, and looked toward the floor, as if he was about to take a step away.

—-

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Alessio.”

There weren’t any windows, and it was dark and trapped. He knew he recognized the voice, but he didn’t have time to think. It always smelled like urine, or something sick that you could never forget. He’d die before he let them drag him back there.

Someone grabbed his hand and Alessio jerked back against the wall.

Let me go!” He threw a punch across the man’s jaw, knowing he’d only get one shot to escape. And he wouldn’t make it anyway he just hoped he’d get killed in the struggle.

It all happened in a second, then his brain caught up. He couldn’t possibly be in that place, then who did he just…?

“Nithel!” Alessio gasped “I’m so—I’m so sorry…I…I’m sorry…”

I just hit my friend…

He retreated a step, and his hands shook uncontrollably. He knew, he really did know, Nithel wouldn’t lash out at him, but he still flinched like a chastised dog. All he could think was how he couldn’t be trusted now, he attacked someone who had only ever tried to help him. What if he was just as bad as his father now? He was too crazy to be safe or for anyone to be safe around him.

He felt so nauseous he thought he’d throw up. Dark, trapped rooms were where they punished the ones that didn’t obey or tried to escape, he’d been there so so often. Alessio tried to ignore it, he had to focus, Nithel needed him to come up with a plan or at the very least not break down again. But everything smelled like that place even if it was just a flashback and the things they said, imprinted in his brain. He squeezed his stomach and tried not to vomit, trembling so fiercely he nearly fell over.

@kimlikesart

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel hadn’t been expecting the punch. He’d only wanted to stop Alessio from breaking his hand on the stone, to calm him down, to make him breathe. But Nithel slung back against the wall, stars dancing in his vision, and pain cutting up his jaw. He released Alessio, one hand reaching back to steady himself against the stone, the other flying to his jaw and squeezing. Zounds… You fool.  

Alessio was still lost, in that place of memory. Nithel started to stand straight again, still squeezing his jaw. Alessio’s eyes cleared of rage and turned to, a just as potent, fear.

“Nithel!” Alessio gasped “I’m so- I’m so sorry- I- I’m sorry-”

Nithel shook his head, eyes sad, understanding, “No, no… I should’ve expected it.” He licked the blood inside his mouth, not wanting Alessio to see. “It’s alright. It’s… alright.” Nithel breathed out slowly.

Alessio squeezed his stomach, looking sick. Concern rushed to Nithel’s eyes again, and he jumped forward as Alessio trembled, swaying like about to collapse. He put an arm around him, unsure if he’d get a knife in the back this time, but working under Alessio’s arms, “Easy.” Alessio felt rubbery. Nithel growled inside, squeezing him tighter and trying to see his bowed face, “Alessio.” Please.  

———-

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“No, no…I should’ve expected it.”

Alessio squeezes his eyes shut, trying to block out the words. He’d always taken the responsibility like that, as if it was his fault whenever someone hurt him. Nithel didn’t deserve any of this. What if Alessio was just as abusive as his family, inadvertent or not?

They called people with special powers aberrants. There was so much fear in a society that had seen what they could do.

‘You’re not a person.’ He could still feel the stinging finger indents across his face, but it was really numb, it hadn’t even hurt compared to the rest of his body. This isn’t then this isn’t then this isn’t the—Alessio’s knees buckled, even as he thought it.

You’re just doing this for attention, Some sick voice in his head screamed, just get over yourself already.

Nithel was saying something, Alessio really couldn’t tell what, but the sound of his voice was comforting. If Nithel was here everything would get better, eventually?

‘You think you have feelings, you and your kind.’ He’d stared brutally at that man, defiant more from habit than will. It churned his stomach, being looked down at like a disobedient animal. That was the only reason he stared back, he couldn’t accept it. He couldn’t believe someone could actually look anybody in the eye and really tell themselves…

‘You think that gives you rights, that you act like you’re human. But you and I both know it’s an act.’ The last sentence had been whispered, and he could feel the man’s breath on his ear.

Someone wrapped an arm about him.

A noise escaped Alessio, somewhere between a gasp and a whimper. He almost made a motion to yank out of that grasp, but everything was blurry. There were a sharp in and out sounds that he didn’t instantly recognize as his own breathing.

‘You’re a weapon. A defective one at that.’

“Easy.” All the fight drained out of Alessio, he hated his body for shutting down completely, he hated it so much. He was so tired of being so so scared, no matter how hard he tried, or how far he got, he always landed here. It was like life was always waiting for him to slip. All he wanted was for it to stop.

Nithel was trying to pry his arms looser or something. Reflexively, he started to struggle but soon went limp, firmly wrapped close. It was so warm all resistance was lost in the stupid hope that someone’s grasp could shield him. Like being a child again, thinking grownups would protect you.

He clutched his friend so tightly his knuckles hurt and didn’t move any more than he could, only thinking if he let go for a second he’d have no protection.

He broke. No matter how long he fought, and how hard.

Alessio.” Nithel was trying to look at his face, but he wasn’t ready for that. It made people uncomfortable when he stared them down, and then they’d hurt him again. But disobeying meant they’d hurt him even more. His brain was freezing up and he squeezed Nithel even tighter, struggling to come up with coherent words.

Alessio wanted it to stop, he’d do anything to make it stop. But there was nothing, nothing he could fix. His mind, his heart, his soul; they were all shattered pieces on the floor.

Was it even possible to get any help? He needed it so much, but no one could fix him…He couldn’t even ask for help if it was offered. He’d do anything to make it stop. No one would help him, there wasn’t a point in asking.

“Don’t let them take me,” He didn’t mean to say that, he knew he wasn’t there. But asking for help was physically impossible, and he didn’t even know what Nithel could do for him that he hadn’t already tried. He couldn’t imagine there was anything that could help him but he’d try anything. “please..”

@kimlikesart

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Alessio clutched Nithel madly. Like his son the first time Domnik saw a man’s arm severed. Like his son would clutch him at night, when Nithel stumbled on him, weeping. He shouldn’t have had to fight. Cruel world. Nay… it was man. But my son is a man. Avigail… He burns inside, aching enough for physical pain. Alessio, what did they do to you? Holy One, Nithel squeezed Alessio back. Tight enough to crush him, putting his head on Alessio’s shoulder, and weeping. O Lord… 

———–

Wow… Cathy… </3

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Heheh…

😅

Get a grip,

Alessio didn’t have any energy to react at all, but the world didn’t stop just because he had. He knew they had to get moving, he had to come up with a plan, that was the only way to survive…

It wouldn’t happen. His brain couldn’t process anything else.

He felt himself pressed tighter, enclosed in warmth like nothing he’d ever experienced. No one had ever held him like that. Immediately he felt trapped, immobilized. But it almost felt like protection, like no one was going to hurt him as long as he was wrapped inside.

His breath was shaky, not as sharp or as fast as before. His eyes stung and every second seemed frozen in time like a dream that never breaks to reality. But he could feel, a soft thump thump pressing against him. They were so close Alessio could feel Nithel’s heartbeat. He could feel his chest rise and fall imperceptibly with each inhale and exhale.

It wasn’t cold. It was dark and enclosed, but he wasn’t freezing cold, every muscle burning with pain. It wasn’t like that.

Drilled into his brain from his first memories, he knew how dangerous it was to show any emotion. It left you vulnerable to anyone who was there, and it left you helpless. To keep your guard, you could never show what you were thinking or feeling, ever. Alessio knew that and was thinking that even as he started to cry, almost noiselessly, in his friend’s grasp.

“I’m sorry,” He mouthed. I’m sorry I can’t be strong for you.

I’m sorry that I’ll never be reliable or steady,

I’m sorry that I’m always questioning, everything you say and do like you’re my enemy,

That I constantly need reassurance, that you won’t stab me in the back, even though you’ve done nothing wrong.

I’m sorry that I’ll never make it easy for you to love me.

I’m sorry that I’m broken,

And you’ll never be friends with the person I could’ve been, if I’d met more people like you and less people like my father…

Alessio’s breathing gradually slowed, matching Nithel’s. Everything was still hurting, and dark, sick with words burned in his mind. I never wanted this, They always told you that you asked for this. It was what you wanted. I never wanted this…

@kimlikesart
     @irishcelticredflowercrown @millennium @denali-christianson @skylarynn

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Tears still slipped from Nithel’s eyes, but he felt Alessio relaxing. He gave the youth one last squeeze, Nithel’s head pushing against Alessio’s shoulder and neck. More tears fell. He pulled back, hands still on the youth’s arms, just enough to look into Alessio’s eyes. Nithel moved to where he could see them, if that means kneeling, stretching, or just being where he is. He looks into them for a while. *internal speech, chest burning* “You are loved,” ‘abni. You need to know this. His heart still feels like it is being ripped in two. It’s clear in his eyes. Thinking of his son. “And you are not alone.”

———-

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 486 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest