fb

Fantasy Writers

Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 486 total)
  • Author
    Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel could see the struggle in Alessio and was sorry. *wants to explain, very badly… if he could… *

Nithel then nods, and a smile touches his lips. A sadness filled his eyes as well. “I have two daughters, a son, and the last time I saw my wife, we were expecting another.” I have not met them yet. “My elder daughter is about your age.”

Nithel nibbles on his lip, looking down. Hesitantly, he looks up, from Mayra to the boy. “Alessio… I have not been here for over twenty years, I believe. And when I awoke from this place, it was hard to tell if it had been real, or was just a dream. When I woke up. But this strap-” Your strap. Nithel touched it, pulling on it a bit, before dropping his hand, “Showed me it was not all in my mind.” Nithel’s chest ached as he looked at Alessio, and then the girl.  “I remember vauguely. I remember faces, the feelings attatched to them, more clearly now.” He holds both their gaze’s a moment, then looks at the walls and ceiling, before looking back at them. He fingers the hilt of his sword, thinking.

His eyes have lowered as his shoulder lifts slightly. His forehead creases with wrinkles, and his voice sounds more lost than he would have liked. Everything rushing his mind, his home, the war, his missing son… “I just don’t know anymore.”

———————-

@joelle-stone
    @this-is-not-an-alien @irishcelticredflowercrown @millennium @denali-christianson @skylarynn

Jominkreesa

Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“I have two daughters, a son, and the last time I saw my wife, we were expecting another.” Nithel said. Four children…how long had he been married? Alessio was trying to do the math because it was easier to process than his feelings. “My elder daughter is about your age.”

Mathematical gesticulations froze his mind.

Nithel said it like Alessio might even count as family to him…Maybe that was just wishful thinking, he should stop right there, Nithel spoke warmly to everyone

Nithel bit his lip, staring down as if trying to formulate something more to say. Alessio shouldn’t have let him feel bad about it…He couldn’t even imagine what it might be like to be torn away from a place you actually loved. But Alessio was still trying to come up with something comforting to say when Nithel looked up. I’m sorry. He thinks reflexively nearly blurting it outloud.

“Alessio…” He remembered Alessio’s name, suddenly that was all that mattered to Alessio. “I have not been here for over twenty years, I believe.”

That loosely answered his attempted mental calculations.

“And when I awoke from this place, it was hard to tell if it had been real, or was just a dream. When I woke up. But this strap-” Nithel touched it before dropping his hand. “Showed me it was not all in my mind.

“I remember vaguely. I remember faces, the feelings attached to them, more clearly now.” He said, holding Alessio’s gaze for a few seconds, discomfort practically radiating off him.

His fingers were on the hilt of his sword which makes Alessio’s palms tingle. When he was a boy he was an exceptional swordfighter but that was…an advantage they considered too dangerous in conjecture with his powers and his rebellious nature. So they “fixed” it, and Alessio now couldn’t even touch a sword without shaking.

Alessio didn’t look at the sword again.

Nithel stared down a while, which made something crack in Alessio’s chest. His friend didn’t deserve to be broken by anything, he didn’t deserve any of this.

“I just don’t know anymore.”

Alessio mechanically touched Nithel’s shoulder, horror beginning to creep inside him. He didn’t like how close that sounded to his own tone of voice sometimes. That wasn’t right, he just couldn’t have that pain, Alessio wouldn’t allow it. Even though he was helpless to stop it..

“Don’t give up now.” Alessio whispers, a little huskily.

@kimlikesart
    @joelle-stone @irishcelticredflowercrown @millennium @denali-christianson @skylarynn

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“Don’t give up now.” Alessio whispered, his voice husky.

Nithel cleared his throat silently, feeling the pressure of Alessio’s hand on his shoulder. Like a friend. Were they friends?

Nithel trembled inside. How he wanted his wife in his arms again. To weep with her. For her to caress him, and tell him that though things would change, she would not. To see his children’s laughter. But… all that had been taken from him.
    His precious son… forced to fight… Nithel shut his eyes, and breathed softly, his muscles relaxing.

‘Don’t give up.’ Somewhere inside, he smiled at that. But only a moment, the seriousness of it coming back. I don’t have the right to give up. My country needs me. My family… what is left. His stops his mind before he falls into what he thought about every night. While staring at the fire, or where a fire should have been.

He looked at Alessio, eyes grateful but sad. “Thank you.” Nithel sighed softly, the wrinkles on his forehead trying to fade a bit. “So, do you have a strategy while here? Have you attempted to escape windows? Is there an attic? Or…” Nithel smiled a small bit, “Is that all impossible? Is there a way to use this place, instead of letting it use us?” Nithel looked at Alessio’s face, then Mayra’s, then looked at whatever face was even partially looking their way. Were they all together? Or were they in separate groups that had been jumbled?  

@joelle-stone
    @this-is-not-an-alien @irishcelticredflowercrown @millennium @denali-christianson @skylarynn

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Thank you.” Nithel sighed softly, looking at him. “So, do you have a strategy while here? Have you attempted to escape windows? Is there an attic? Or…”

Nithel’s baffled look when Alessio mentioned “strategies” the first time they met…

For two seconds, Alessio was stunned. Had he…had his friend just…? A breathy laugh escaped Alessio and he instantly made a move to cover his mouth, startled by the noise. But it was kinda funny…It took him twenty years but Nithel had finally developed a sense of humor!!

Alessio choked trying so hard not laugh, turning red and trying to hide it.

“Is that all impossible? Is there a way to use this place, instead of letting it use us?”

Alessio was still caught on “have you attempted to escape windows?” That was so stupid! When he literally hurled himself out a window the day they arrive in the Castle to figure out how tall the building was and if it even had a roof. He laughed breathily and nearly ducked on instinct but it really was funny and he hadn’t expected it. Had he honestly really done that?

“I’m sor-I’m sorry!” He stammered, bubbling with laughter. It was a couple minutes before Alessio could collect himself enough to say anything.

He finally did though, and coughed awkwardly, not really sure where to look.

“You’re right,” Alessio said to Nithel “we’ve been so busy trying to survive the Castle no one’s thought of fighting back. We might stand a chance if we actually form a stra-a plan to make ourselves so unbearable to the Castle or otherwise discover a weakness that would force it to return us to our homes.”

Why didn’t I think of that? Alessio wondered, even though he knew what the answer probably was; he didn’t want to return.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel smiled inside at Alessio’s laughter. Then when the laughter didn’t stop, Nithel’s eyes got a hesitant twinkle. He had made the youth laugh. (Albeit unintentionally.) *thoughts/sweet memories of home*

Nithel gave Alessio a small bow with his head. I’m glad you laughed.

Alessio coughed a few times, then after a moment, he answered. “You’re right, we’ve been so busy trying to survive the Castle no one’s thought of fighting back. We might stand a chance if we actually form a stra- a plan to make ourselves so unbearable to the Castle or otherwise discover a weakness that would force it to return us to our homes.”

Nithel’s brows lifted some, and he doesn’t have athing else to add. But his eyes have a small joy in them now, grateful for laughter.  Nithel gives Alessio another small nod, “I will do as you say.”  Will you need to confer with the others here? Or are you alone with this girl? But he doesn’t ask.

Nithel looks at the girl, Mayra, and gives her a small smile with his eyes. Tempered with sadness, but also hope.

@joelle-stone

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Nithel’s eyes shone just a little and he nodded to Alessio.
    “I will do as you say.” He said. Alessio wasn’t sure how to respond to that. Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Alessio didn’t really count himself as a leader but everyone else seemed to…
    “Um…right.” Arguing would waste valuable time…
    Alessio looked around, trying to gauge everyone’s skills. Lupa, Mayra, the new boy and girl, Malvat of course, the archer who knows Bre–Brendin was older, and there was something weird with his arm. Huh. Alessio promptly filed that away but it didn’t make the top thousand unusual events of the day. Eight people counting himself, hardly an army. But one constant in the Castle was that each kidnapped person seemed to have some exceptional skill or ability.
    “Alright,” he said, loud enough to catch everyone’s attention. “Most of you each come from different worlds with different powers or capabilities, one of the only constants is that you all have secrets.”
    He was pacing at this point, intent on the problem and amassing facts.
    “The only apparent motive this…Castle has is a sadistic desire to be entertained. Maybe it’s assimilating information based on our responses but in either case, it seems to prefer to keep us alive, or it lacks the capacity to actually kill us despite its apparent limitless resources…”
    Since he was a young boy Alessio had this bad habit biting his knuckles when he was concentrating and he was doing that now, while pacing. There must be a way to fight back, somehow. But how do you fight something that’s virtually invincible?
    Alessio halted…
    “I think I have a plan…” It’s a very bad plan and you’ll hate it. In one smooth, instantaneous motion Alessio fired three arrows into three different stained glass windows. But he wasn’t working alone anymore, and he’d forgotten that. He glanced at Nithel a second–Trust me–And tilted his head toward the ceiling.
    “Can you feel that, or do you lack any sensation of pain except the kind you bring to others?” He said coolly. “You like raising the stakes, playing with risks, why don’t you actually join the game? Stake your own neck once or twice?”
    He raises his bow again, just a little.
    “Or are you scared?”

Sooo…sometimes I think my characters are smarter than me and other times…
    (So. Anybody wanna be Lord Castle?)

@kimlikesart
    @joelle-stone @irishcelticredflowercrown @millennium @denali-christianson @skylarynn

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“Alright,” Alessio said, and most looked his directions. “Most of you each come from different worlds with different powers or capabilities, one of the only constants is that you all have secrets.”

*Nithel has no clue what his ‘power’/’capability’ was* Perhaps he was why there was a ‘most’ there.

The Lord Castle, could feel the emotions of the young one rising. Flamed by one who had just returned, perhaps My Lord Castle should have left the thing there. But… My Lord Castle had hoped the thing would have remembered less…

The young one was pacing now. Thinking aloud. “The only apparent motive this…Castle has is a sadistic desire to be entertained. Maybe it’s assimilating information based on our responses but in either case, it seems to prefer to keep us alive, or it lacks the capacity to actually kill us despite its apparent limitless resources…”

Clearly the young one hadn’t met the sailor… Teagen…
    A hero, in his own right at the end, but the metal dragon had taken his legs. My Lord Castle rumbles a bit, stones groaning, He died. Don’t tempt me.

The young one chewed himself. My Lord Castle wouldn’t have to sick dogs on him if he ate himself. The young one froze, and looked at the others. “I think I have a plan…”  After the briefest stillness, young one fired three arrows into three different stained glass windows.

ACK. DiD hE REaLLy dO tHAt??? My Lord Castle is tempted to just re-grow them. Maybe grow them out, and add another scar to the young one’s face. Or maybe harm the thing young one prized so dearly…
    But… this new game actually seemed fun.

Young one looked at one of the returned things, the prized thing. The thing which inspired this part of the game. My Lord Castle now appreciates the thing a bit. I am in charge of young one. Especially with you here.

There is nothing to worry about.
    Perhaps I could cause them all to care for each other… someway… like the beings they are… To where I can use them against each other. Emotional pain is so much stronger than the physical…  

“Can you feel that, or do you lack any sensation of pain except the kind you bring to others? You like raising the stakes, playing with risks, why don’t you actually join the game? Stake your own neck once or twice?”

It does hurt, but of course, My Lord Castle wouldn’t admit that. *rumbles, deeply, loudly* A few small pieces of rock fall to the ground.

The young one spoke as a human. Droll…

The young one lifted his stick-flinging-thing again, “Or are you scared?”

Even more droll. Does the young one think that sort of taunt does any good.
    And… perhaps My Lord Castle has a point in this. My Lord Castle doesn’t mind it only being out of sadistic pleasure, but My Lord Castle likes the idea of stretching and growing these beings in some way. To where they are better animals if they returned to their place.

My Lord Castle would smile, if My Lord Castle could. My Lord Castle trembles more, causing a few larger stones to fall.

——————-

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @irishcelticredflowercrown @millennium @denali-christianson @skylarynn

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

The rumbling had, in fact, terrified Alessio. But he was very, very stubborn and he had “a plan”.
    He’d done this before, or at least something like it. Devils, he was comparing the Castle more and more to the wizard. It was like, having it happen all over again. The same helplessness, same kind of control-freak and the same immortal dread. Only difference was, this time he wasn’t alone in it. Was that a comfort or a curse?
    An eldritch, growling rumbles trembles through the ground, knocking stone out of the ceiling. It was coming it was coming it was coming he was going to pay so much. But he wasn’t going to give up now. Until a loud crash nearly knocks him to the ground, breathless. A huge slab of rock slapped the ground inches away from him. That. Was really, really close to killing him.
    “Well that was mature.” He retorted, a little pale all the same. It’s going to be a very delicate balancing act to infuriate the Castle enough to make it accept a challenge, but also intrigue it enough it won’t kill him…
    “Hey! You think being strong gives you the right to make all the rules, you coward?!” He said, and defiantly leap on the stone that nearly killed him. “Is fear really the only thing you can resort to; you’ve got nothing good to offer and no good qualities in yourself, so you can’t get anyone to do anything for you unless you force them? Is that…satisfying?”

@kimlikesart

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

As the castle groaned, Nithel’s eyes widened, and he stepped back against the wall. Then as stones started to drop his lips parted in shock. He wanted to hide underneath something but there was nowhere to hide. No shelter from the rock. Nothing. And Alessio, standing right in the middle as debris fell.

Nithel wanted to order him to move, to get down, but move where? There was nowhere safe. The recent theme of his existence.

And insulting the thing isn’t exactly what Nithel had in mind. But he’s quiet, waiting, all his muscles tight and not liking the feeling of being completely useless. But again, that was a reoccurring theme right now.

_____

Now, young one needed to learn his place. The one in power does have the right to make the rules, do they not? 

My Lord Castle actually wants to put My Lord Castle in a place where My Lord Castle could suffer, somehow. (But not be in actual real risk.) It would add more fun to the game. But My Lord Castle has no idea how to do it.

“Is fear really the only thing you can resort to; you’ve got nothing good to offer and no good qualities in yourself, so you can’t get anyone to do anything for you unless you force them? Is that…satisfying?”

It is, it really is. 

And no good? My Lord Castle is stone. When goodness is what stones are known for, that is the day My Lord Castle will dismantle itself. But… onward…

The door with a tree opens on its own. Then two other doors appear on the two other walls, which don’t have windows. One had a flame on it, and then opens. The last had a watery snake, and opens as well. They all opened silently as a breath, without a squeak. No sound came from any of them, though My Lord Castle was giddy over what lay beyond.

The rocks stopped falling. A large dining table appeared in the center of the room, right behind the young one. Pillows, plush and brightly coloured, appeared around the table, one for each being. The giant lizard-shape-changing-thing My Lord Castle gave a normal pillow, like everyone else. Hinting for the thing to admit it was also man.

Then food appeared on the table. Wines, fruits of many bright colours, breads- dark and light, cheeses of different sizes and thickness, and meat- carefully not from a man, dragon, or wolf.

My Lord Castle then didn’t rumble. Didn’t make a move. Waiting to see what they would do.

—————————-

@this-is-not-an-alien

Giant lizard-shape-changing-thing may also just disapear if you’d like. (:

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Giant lizard-shape-changing-thing may also just disapear if you’d like. (:

No waaait. *Cackles maniacally*

Alessio had gone through a lot of different scenarios. He’d tried to think through every possible consequence and contingency.
    But…it was quiet…
    Probably not a good sign. That usually meant whatever punishment lay in store for him was going to be a lot worse. He tried to breath slowly and not look as terrified as he felt. The idea had been to draw the Castle out and, if it was possible, assess some weakness. Of course that meant provoking it which meant any manner of excruciating repercussions.
    Alessio deliberately didn’t look at anyone, he really didn’t want them to share in the inevitable punishment.
    Then a noiseless motion as the engraved door with the tree glided open like a ghostly apparition. What else do they have to be tormented with now? Another door, fiery, and another, watery. Both sliding open silently.
    Alessio backed a step, glancing around for Nithel before he caught himself. But he froze, noticing it in the corner of his eyes, and whirled around as the table materialized. It was luxurious, dripping with every possible food, in every glimmering, luscious color. That was richer than his king-father’s banquets, or maybe it’s just been so long…
    His first thought is ‘It’s a trap.’ But his next thought is ‘It’s a trap.’ Cautiously, Alessio moved to the table, preferring to get in trouble first instead of letting someone else get it. Plus…he was famished even if he didn’t trust it at all. He picked up one of the fruits very slowly, as if it might jump out at him any second. He wouldn’t look at the wine, he deliberately avoided it.
    What if it’s poisoned? What if it triggers some spring trap? What if it’s to compel them to let down their guard? He glances at Nithel and Mayra, and back at the fruit in his hand.
    “I’m fairly immune to most poisons.” He said…kinda reassuringly.
    It was standard practice in royalty to develop an immunity to as many poisons as possible by taking them, taking an antidote and taking them again.
    They didn’t need to know Alessio was fairly confident since they were all from different worlds it was statistically improbable that “immunity” would be all that good with whatever poison an apparently invisible and eerily-knowledgeable Castle would think up.
    Behind him Malvat crept stiffly toward the table, just a little oddly, with a little too much mechanical smoothness in his motions. The dragon was creepy whatever he did. Alessio barely even filed the detail away before taking a small bite of the red fruit.
    It tasted sweet, more than sweet it tasted fantastic to Alessio, maybe more for his own starvation than anything special about it. But, it was good, and while it was easy enough to ignore his hunger when there wasn’t any other choice, one bite was enough for every ravishing pang of hunger to scream back in full force. Despite any better judgement, Alessio almost fell upon the feast, but instead he took a step back, digging his nails into his palm and refusing to move any closer. But he didn’t let go of the fruit in his hand either.

@kimlikesart

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

My Lord Castle just waits.

——————-

When the table appeared, Nithel’s stomach flipped and his mouth watered. It had been two nights since he’d eaten the dried rusk. How long since he’d actually had food, though. Egad… He wanted to fall upon the fruit, the meat, the bread, and truthfully, the possibility of poison hadn’t even crossed his mind. If another had jumped on it like an animal, he would’ve too.

But then Alessio said, picking up a luscious fruit slowly, “I’m fairly immune to most poisons.”

Nithel, who had taken two steps forward, froze. His eyes widened. Poison? Noy! And most? “Al-” Stop. Nithel’s face wrinkled as Alessio took a bite. A good size. The youth seemed to enjoy the taste, but then he took a step back.

Nithel’s brow ruffled, and he watched him. Is it safe? How would we know there was poison if you were immune? And what in Sheol made you eat that fruit?
    Hunger. Nithel knew that, his own stomach fought with reason. Alessio still clutched the bleeding fruit.

Slowly, Nithel went forward and ran a hand along the edge of the wooden table. Remembering better days. It was well made. Smooth as a river-stone. But his eyes fell on the food, processing what would be the most valuable if he were to be here a time. He glanced around, wanting to snatch food like an animal and gobble it.

Then he swiftly grabbed a handful of almonds and threw them into his mouth. Chewing.
    Those berries looked like raspberries. There was fresh rusk, and something like hummus. More of the fruit Alessio had grabbed. It resembled an apple, but was apparently far, far juicier. And something dark,  bumpy, like avocado… but who knew what it was inside. *grabs one*

———————-

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Alessio had decided to leave out the part where “immune” was loosely defined as “won’t kill me” but it was a moot point now. He only caught Nithel the moment he popped some sort of nuts in his mouth. For two seconds Alessio completely panicked. But his friend grabbed another fruit and he didn’t drop dead or anything…
    But Nithel’s action made Alessio realize it was completely impossible to expect the others to not fall on the food, even under the fear of poison. The only thing he was doing was delaying the inevitable, and not by much. Really just long enough to torture the minds of his companions.
    Quietly, he motioned to the table.
    “It looks…safe enough.” He said with more assurance than he felt. At least, any poison there didn’t act immediately enough to prevent anyone as starved as they were from risking it.

@kimlikesart

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“It looks…safe enough.” Alessio said.

Nithel licked his lips after trying a fruit. It was… sweet. But also tart and filling. Like something his eldest daughter would bake. Nithel’s heart tugged, his eyes serious. He looked at Alessio a moment, before pulling off his shirt, and looking back at the food. Nithel’s skin was deeply tanned. There were fresh cuts, bruises, and the occasional scar on his arms and back, but none of them looked older than a year. None were particularly severe, just where battle had knicked him.

“Which door will you pick?” Nithel asked while putting the least perishables into his patched shirt. He held the cloth like a bag. Was there a way to bring the food back? Even a little? He doubted it. But… I was able to bring the strap, wasn’t I? 

————-

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Nithel pulled off his shirt which made Alessio uncomfortable, regardless of the circumstance. He was trying not to think of him. But Alessio could’ve somewhat laughed off his edginess at this point until his eyes alighted on the bruised and cut marks on his body. Everything else blacked out, his mind went blank like he’d been shot. Nithel was saying something but it wasn’t registering.
    “Who did that?” He growled, barely keeping his voice under control. He clenched his hands as if that would stop them from shaking, but his mind was cursing madly.
    This wasn’t…it wasn’t the same as then. Not everything traced back to his own abuse, but it did.
    Nithel’s startled look pulled him back to reality. He was completely overreacting.
    “Sorry..” He said “sorry, I wasn’t…devils.”
    Adrenaline burned through his nerves, making them close to trembling with tense energy. He was so frustrated with himself for not getting over it already. He forced himself to breath steadily and ground himself again. Nithel was telling him something before his outburst…
    “I don’t know which door.” He said “either choice would play right into the Castle’s hands. I wouldn’t try either of them if we can help it..”
    Alessio tried to look at his friend without letting himself stare at his injuries. Everyone else could keep it together.
    “I think the best thing we can do right now is plan our next strategy here. See what happens when we stop playing it’s game.”
    It always ends in playing this game of survival, it’s as much second nature to him as grappling with his own memories. No matter how much progress he made he always found himself back where he started.

@kimlikesart
    @irishcelticredflowercrown @millennium @denali-christianson @skylarynn

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“Who did that?” Alessio growled and Nithel looked up. His brows furrowed, and for a moment, he had no idea what the youth meant. Then he saw where he was looking, and Nithel’s eyes turned a bit heavy.

He was about to answer, when Alessio tried to apologize, “Sorry.. sorry, I wasn’t…devils.”

Nithel’s brows furrowed a bit more, and he doesn’t know why Alessio said sorry. In fact, Nithel was touched that Alessio cared. He inwardly flinched at ‘devils’, but he’d heard worse over the last years.

“I don’t know which door.” Alessio’s voice was tight,  Anger? Fear? Sadness? Nithel wasn’t sure, but he straightened in concern. “Either choice would play right into the Castle’s hands. I wouldn’t try either of them if we can help it.”

Alessio made a point of not looking at Nithel’s wounds, and Nithel’s eyes saddened even more. I’m sorry. 

“I think the best thing we can do right now is plan our next strategy here. See what happens when we stop playing it’s game.”

Nithel let the food fall back on the table, and slipped his shirt back on. Perhaps I could rip open one of these pillows. That might go better. Nithel pressed his lips together and nodded to Alessio, only half listening to what he’d said.
    “It was the Adenites.” Nithel said softly, What can I do for you, Alessio?

After being silent a moment, Nithel changed gears. “What sort of strategy could there be? You asked the Castle to make itself vulnerable, in some way, and it appears it agreed.” In a way at least. “Though it could be a lie. If we refused to move, could it not close the walls on us? Forcing us to flee into a door. Or drop out the floor? Or fall the ceiling?
    What could be the worst thing behind each door? What have you seen before? Perhaps we could plan from that.” *knows he probably just talked too much* Nithel sets his jaw, then bows his head and takes a step back.

————–

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 486 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Overwhelmed by Self-Editing Your Novel?

Our Ultimate Self-Editing Checklist breaks down the process with probing questions to ask about your manuscript. Make editing simple and successful.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the self-editing checklist in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest