fb

Fantasy Writers

Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 421 total)
  • Author
    Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel grabbed the bag with one hand, clutching underneath one of Alessio’s arms with the other. Dragging him toward where everyone else was going. More dust. It was like the castle was coughing, or growling at them in rage…

Nithel shoved Alessio through the hole, and barreled out behind him. The light was so bright Nithel was almost blinded. He felt grass under his hands as he pulled Alessio a bit more, and stumbled. Crawling almost. His shoulder brushed bark. A tree. He glanced around, the glare from the sudden light slowly receding as his eyes adjusted. He slowly stopped, looking up. It was blue sky. A courtyard, or atrium. Walls surrounding the small oasis. Trees with round fruit sat and shaded the fresh area. Reds, and oranges, and purples… Bees buzzed from blossom to blossom on the ground and in the trees. Nithel blinked a few times.

Small circles of water pooled around the bases of the trees. Nithel was touching it, and he jerked back. His chest was still tight, all his muscles tense… He didn’t believe what he was seeing. Maybe the food was poisoned. Or the water would suck you in. Or creatures would fly in from the outside and eat them all. Or maybe the bees would turn, and swarm as soon as they touched… Nithel clenched his eyes shut, listening as others entered, hand still on Alessio, but looser now. He let go of the food.

Slowly, he turned and looked at his friend. Then he crawled the smallest bit closer to him. “I’m sorry friend,” Softly. He ached so much, staring at a boy with so much pain. He didn’t know why Alessio had it. Nithel put his hand on Alessio’s head, and began to whisper a blessing… His forehead still wrinkled with pain. Begging, but also knowing the Star Breather would never give up.

————–

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @irishcelticredflowercrown @joelle-stone @skylarynn @crazywriter @millennium

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

@skylarynn

Ah okay sorry about that😬 No big deal, I’ll rewrite it so 🙂

Mayra was being carried. She could feel the sensation of someone holding her with a strong grip.

She opened her eyes to see a man holding her. His face was blurring in her vision. She groaned and weakly shoved at him. She didn’t need help. She needed no one’s assistance! Who did this stranger think he was?

He didn’t yield. He was trying to say something to her, but she ignored him.

“Put – me down,“ she hissed. „Put me <i>down</i>!“

He was saying something to her, trying to get het to calm down. Panic raged through her like tsunami as that old terror resurfaced. She was suddenly short of air, her throat feeling as though it was being squeezed shut.

She acted purely on instinct. She raised a hand towards the man’s head, focusing all her energy on the blood vessels in his head. The man gasped and stopped walking.

She narrowed her eyes, sensing the veins in his head and the walls protecting them.

The man shouted in pain as blood dripped from his nose. He dropped her, clutching his head, and she rolled as she landed. She pulled herself up, getting into a defensive stance.

No one touches her. No one. Her name was Mayra, and she needed <i>no one</i>.

She saw everyone drawing their weapons, staring at her in shock and horror. Even the dragon looked irate.

She stared back at them through lowered eyes, breathing heavily. This was how she got her reputation on the streets. It was what gave her the name Bloody Mink.

“No one – come near,” she said slowly, her fury causing her magic to flare up around her body. “Or – I – hurt.”

It was her panic that had caused her start speaking. It was the first time any of them had heard her speak. And probably the last. Each one of them were looking at her as if she was a deadly weapon. Good. At least she would have a way out. Either she ends up winning the fight somehow and escaping – or she dies.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Malvat studied the woman.

This is why they call me the Blood Mink.

Her thoughts flitted across her brain, her mind barely registering the words.

“No one – come near,” she hissed, the words slow and forced as she took up a guarded position, powers swirling around her body. “Or – I – hurt.”

People were drawing weapons. The air quickly escalated from concerned to suspicious and tense.

“Use caution, Blood Mink,” Malvat rumbled, forgetting to be polite. “There are many here who could easily defeat you, despite your powers.” His silver eyes flashed as he took a menacing step in her direction, causing the ground to tremble beneath his size. “I am empowered as well, mankind girl, and I will not die.”

————————————————-

@skylarynn
    @this-is-not-an-alien @irishcelticredflowercrown (GREAT POST!!!) @crazywriter @kimlikesart

"For love is strong as death." -God

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Before he could think straight Alessio felt himself yanked forward, dizzy with the noise, images, memories, present all jumbled. There was something he…couldn’t rememb–He nearly lost his balance shoved through the hole and darted up disoriented, prepared to fend off a blow.
    But everything was bright and…he blinked back the hot sudden light, panting, soaking in his surroundings frantically. The…sky? It was there, Alessio let out a shaky breath staring at the sky that was visible. That was clear and polished blue and the air was clean and the wind, he’d almost forgotten what it felt like. He didn’t have the energy to smile or breath evenly, but he stared at the open sky a long time, trembling with relief or fear or just exhaustion.
    What was that? What happened? Alessio gingerly brought a hand to his pounding head, half expecting dried blood from a concussion or something…
    He looked around, beginning to ground himself in the present again. It’s warm, it’s dry, there’s…his name is Alessio, he’s seventeen and–he glanced at Nithel, everything pouring back with perfectly dizzying clarity. Did they actually survive? Ha, great now they get to wait for a more creative death in quite possibly the very near future. His eyes lingered a second on Nithel’s hand on his arm, still adjusting to touch.
    “I’m sorry friend,” Nithel said softly. Alessio stared up at him, too dazed to come up with an answer but so grateful for his friend. It was hard for him to focus on anything going on yet he’s eyes had gone a little glazed processing the trembling numbness in his limbs, that he was still crouched on thick, surreally soft grass. Something tingling in his brain painfully like a…Alessio jerked back with a sharp inhale before he registered it was Nithel’s hand on his head.
    “Don’t…don’t…” He swallowed, trying to push out that image and communicate at the same time. That was just too close to the…the wizard put his hand on his head before… “not right now…please”
    Alessio pressed his palm into his throbbing forehead and get up. He hated this so much, he hated being useless, he hated being pitied, especially by people who would stay by him because it made him all too aware he was a burden. At least more difficult to be around than most people, his existence was painful and it caused people pain.
    “No one–come near,” Alessio looked up, rubbing the thin scar across his forehead. Red energy suffused her body like a shield. Honestly everything was just a blur to him at this point, just like back at the guild. “Or–I–hurt.”
    Alessio gave Nithel a sideways and dead ironic look as if to say ‘this day never ends’ but it lost all its humor under a desperately tired gaze. All the same, Alessio managed to get to his feet and struggled to size up the situation.
    “Use caution, Blood Mink,” The dragon rumbled in almost a growl. “There are many here who could easily defeat you, despite your powers.

I am empowered as well, mankind girl, and I will not die.”
    “Just do whatever you want as long as it’s not murder,” Alessio said…very…helpfully? He glared at Malvat. “Just give her the space she wants, you think have a power-war is going to solve anything?!”
    He stared at the dragon, then the girl and glanced over the group slowly.
    “Let’s just all take a moment…to calm down…and divide our rations, and save our strength for the next disaster.” He said although he almost mumbled from exhaustion. He rubbed his head again and nearly walked into the werewolf. Really, he didn’t want to stop moving or have to stop and think and…

@millennium
    (well I couldn’t get him to start a conversation with Lupa but maybe running into her will? XD) @irishcelticredflowercrown @joelle-stone @skylarynn @crazywriter @kimlikesart

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel pulls away when asked, lowering his arm. His chest tightening a bit at how it made Alessio feel. Someone hurt you. (In the other language.)

Then the new girl yelled. Nithel’s eyes darted that way. None come near.

*immediately wants to come near, but doesn’t as Alessio speaks* Adrenaline rushes in him, and then settles as the youth speaks.

Jominkreesa

EmilyRemixed
    @millennium

Lupa glanced around the room, her eyes perfectly adjusted to the darkness. Tyrell’s hardly saw the light of day. They worked at night and disappeared to their windowless, stone hideouts at day to sleep away the planning and bruises of scuffles and chases.

Lupa could see the shadows of everyone moving about her, their voices mixed together. Night-vision was also a side-effect of being a wolf-shifter. But after all her days under the moon, she didn’t think it made much of a difference. She was the day messenger, subjected to running words between the rebel groups while the sun was in the sky, but she didn’t like it anymore than the other Tyrell’s.

Then everyone was moving forward, pulling others with them. A hole in the ceiling. She turned numbly to it, repelled by the light streaming through it. The others assisted one another in scrambling through it, but Lupa hung back in a shadow, unwilling to put herself in the light.

<i>The light is dangerous. No where to hide. Azreil </i><i>cannot survive in the light. We live in darkness. </i>

But she didn’t like the idea of staying in the creepy castle alone, so as the last people exited the hole, she moved closer.

Harsh beams of light made her eyes water as she squeezed them closed and pulled herself through the hole and onto the roof. She sat, squinting. There was no cover here, no where to melt away. She felt venerable and moved away from the others, and in doing, almost crashed into someone. Alessio, they had said his name was.

She glared at him, irritated about having to subject herself to the sunlight. But something in his eyes made her feel more sympathetic.

“Hello?” She asked slowly.

When everything you touch turns to gold...
    gold...
    gold...
    gold...

EmilyRemixed
    @millennium

Lupa glanced around the room, her eyes perfectly adjusted to the darkness. Tyrell’s hardly saw the light of day. They worked at night and disappeared to their windowless, stone hideouts at day to sleep away the planning and bruises of scuffles and chases.

Lupa could see the shadows of everyone moving about her, their voices mixed together. Night-vision was also a side-effect of being a wolf-shifter. But after all her days under the moon, she didn’t think it made much of a difference. She was the day messenger, subjected to running words between the rebel groups while the sun was in the sky, but she didn’t like it anymore than the other Tyrell’s.

Then everyone was moving forward, pulling others with them. A hole in the ceiling. She turned numbly to it, repelled by the light streaming through it. The others assisted one another in scrambling through it, but Lupa hung back in a shadow, unwilling to put herself in the light.

<i>The light is dangerous. No where to hide. Azreil </i><i>cannot survive in the light. We live in darkness. </i>

But she didn’t like the idea of staying in the creepy castle alone, so as the last people exited the hole, she moved closer.

Harsh beams of light made her eyes water as she squeezed them closed and pulled herself through the hole and onto the roof. She sat, squinting. There was no cover here, no where to melt away. She felt venerable and moved away from the others, and in doing, almost crashed into someone. Alessio, they had said his name was.

She glared at him, irritated about having to subject herself to the sunlight. But something in his eyes made her feel more sympathetic.

“Hello?” She asked slowly.

@this-is-not-an-alien

gold...
    gold...
    gold...

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Hello?” Alessio nearly jumped back to avoid stumbling into her, instinctively glancing up.
    “I’m sorry,” He said reflexively, backing out of her personal space. The pain in his head was beginning to subside but the images it conjured were still sharply clear and…Alessio shook off the thought, and the questions that could wait. What had she said her name was… “you’re Lupa?”
    He didn’t know a lot about her except she’d only just appear rather recently, and her eyes had a wild, fierce air behind them.

@millennium

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

EmilyRemixed
    @millennium

“Yes, Lupa.” She was still squinting in the light. “Alessio…?” She asked, her sharp blue eyes studying him.

gold...
    gold...
    gold...

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Yes, Lupa.” She said squinting. “Alessio…?”
    Even in this place where no one could know him from his world, he still felt uncomfortable being called by his real name. And his chest tightened under her scrutiny he really didn’t know how to talk to people he consciously didn’t glance back at Nithel for help. Instead he nodded slightly in response.
    “Unfortunately, yes.” He said a little wryly. There was a pause because Alessio didn’t know how to hold a conversation and was trying to think of something “normal” to say. His eyes wandered over the garden area awkwardly and he nearly tugged the corner of his hood farther over his face but caught himself and instead fumbles with the corner of his cloak behind dropping his hand again.
    “…do you have a favorite weapon?” Alessio offers tenitively and yes that’s his idea of small talk…

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

The blood flow from Brendin’s nose halted at a touch from Jericho.

“Let’s just all take a moment…to calm down…and divide our rations, and save our strength for the next disaster.” 

“Yes, that would seem wise,” Jericho said, somewhat wryly.  She sat down on the grass and watched quietly as Alessio and the wolf-girl – Lupa? – began conversing.

Brendin sat beside her.  “We really need to select a leader,” he said in Kithin.

“You aren’t wrong, my friend,” Jericho answered, also in Kithin.  “Though for that I think we will need to be completely honest with each other.  Otherwise no one will trust, and we are less likely to survive.”  At his silence, she gave a long sigh.  “I do not mean to cause you suffering.  It will be hard for me as well, my friend.”

Brendin remained silent.

Jericho placed a hand on his shoulder, gently instilling some calm and reassurance.

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @kimlikesart @irishcelticredflowercrown @joelle-stone @millennium

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

EmilyRemixed
    @millennium

“Favourite weapon…” Lupa thought a moment and then explained. “You have to understand, where I come from, we do not tend to use weapons. We live in a very compact area of the city and weapons have basically disappeared. Instead it has been replaced by a hand-to-hand combat designed for the tight spaces we live in. Some carry knives, but we rarely fight with them. They are to simply single the end of a fight. If you have a blade, specifically an iron blade, people assume you know how to use it.” She decided to leave out the fact that shapeshifting into a wolf was kinda a weapon in itself, but that seemed to creep people out.

“Any questions?” She finished.

gold...
    gold...
    gold...

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Oh my goodness gosh darned snickerdoodles! I’ve completely missed your post @millennium this entire time!! *also me; has been hovering around in utter anticipation for an update and didn’t even noticed your update XDXDXD!*

“Any questions?” She finished which was probably not the best way to word that because any questions was an invitation for Alessio to give an endless score or questions in sequential order. Alessio had questions he never lacked questions, ever. Why an iron blade specifically (as opposed to serrated, double bladed, tribally ornamented, enchanted…you get the point)? How common were werecreatures in her world? How many forms of hand-to-hand combat did they have?
    “Your eyes changed color when you changed form,” Alessio said finally “is that common?”
    In Casumbra werecreatures eyes changed according to their moods and emotions and although he’d never met a werecreature before he expected the eyecolor to shift more frequently and he wondered if she learned how to “cue” her emotions to stay so in the background her mood wasn’t reflected in her eyes.

EmilyRemixed
    @millennium

Lupa titled her head, thinking about her shapeshifting friends.

“They usually only change to match the appearance of the creature. Mine go from dark brown to gold, Ryuu’s from ice blue to midnight blue, and Nascha’s black to pale brown.” She returned her gaze to Alessio, finally not squinting as much in the sunlight. “There’s nothing terribly specific about it.”

gold...
    gold...
    gold...

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel stares a bit at them, then glances to the food, intending to hand it out.

He goes first to Brendin, offering him a loaf of mushed bread. If the man doesn’t take it, Nithel will lay it on the ground before him. His manor is like that of a servant, when facing Brendin.

He then moves to Jericho, manor more relaxed, but still formal as he searches in the sack, and holds out another loaf of bread. Equally mashed from so much jostling.

“Here,” He says softly, upon reaching the new girl he didn’t know the name of. There was one loaf of bread left, many potatoes, dried fruit, and the chocolate. Alessio would get the chocolate. But Nithel didn’t know what to offer her. “Do you like fruit?” Kindly, respectfully. He glances to her face a moment, before looking back to the sack.
    After this, if Alessio and the not-wolf were done speaking, Nithel plans to give them some. And then offer to the dragon, if he wished for anything. But only after she says she likes fruit or not.

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @irishcelticredflowercrown @joelle-stone @skylarynn @crazywriter @millennium

Jominkreesa

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 421 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest