fb

Fantasy Writers

Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 421 total)
  • Author
    Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Alessio murmured finally.  “What happened after you pulled back the veil?”

Brendin rolled his shoulders in an attempt at a shrug.  “The mirror showed me a…”  He hesitated, unsure.  “…a nightmare, I think.  Though it may have been a memory.  I don’t know.”

Jericho took a pace closer to the boy and lightly put an arm over his shoulders.  Calm.  Relax.  “Are you alright, my friend?”

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @kimlikesart

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“The mirror showed me a…a nightmare, I think.” Brendin said “though it may have been a memory. I don’t know.”
    Alessio tried to digest the information but his mind had already shut off half his functions through pure exhaustion. He didn’t even notice Jericho come toward him until her arm wrapped around his shoulders gently. It was so warm and he was so tired he closed his eyes and before he knew it he had leaned a little into Jericho.
    “Are you alright, my friend?” Her voice made him stir a bit, trying to pay attention and get back to the problems at hand.
    “Fine.” Alessio managed like it was an obligation. “I’m fine.”
    Numbly he rubbed his arms, blinking fog out of his eyes.
    “We should…get moving..” Or something…All he wanted was sleep, or something to fight the feeling he’d fall over any second. He was probably starving but he just felt like getting this over.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

“We should…get moving..”

Jericho could feel the boy struggling to remain awake.  “You may rest, if you need,” she said softly.  Sleep.  As Alessio fell unconscious the woman easily lifted him up and led the way back to the rooms they had found, where she laid him down on one of the beds.  The dragon was no longer in the chamber, it seemed…

Turning to Brendin and Nithel, she smiled slightly.  “I think we should follow the young one’s example.  If you two wish to rest, I will keep watch.”

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @kimlikesart They deserve a break, I’m pretty sure.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@skylarynn they totally deserve a break, too bad we’re writers XD.
    ‘A life lived in safety is selfish.’ Words he couldn’t but apply to his own situation, echoing in the back of his mind like something he just couldn’t reconcile with…
    The first thing he was consciously aware of was a slightly unnerving sensation of sinking albeit into something warm. Something so warm he didn’t want to move and he was sure he had to be dreaming. And he did not want to open his eyes and lose the closest approximation to sleep he could get. His heart hadn’t stopped racing at it was making his chest hurt. More out of habit than anything Alessio started to make up a bedtime story to coax himself into feeling safe enough to drift asleep again.
    But it was so hard, being too tired to suppress the memories. It was cold, he remembered it was icy cold, his wrists burned, slick with cold sweet. Not going to hear it not going to slip back just forget it just forget…
    “…think we should follow the young one’s example. If you two wish to rest, I will keep watch.”
    “You probably don’t have to,” Alessio said softly, staring at the ceiling. “The slightest noise wakes me up so I don’t think anything can sneak up on us…”
    He shut his eyes again, spreading his hands a little over the mattress, half to sink into its soft padding and half uneasily as if trying to keep himself from falling. Alessio hoped he didn’t stain the bed with his muddy boots, his muddy cloths probably some dried blood here and there that never got cleaned.
    ‘But if your safety costs the safety of others…It is not right.’ He wouldn’t reliv…It was so cold, he couldn’t stop thinking how it had felt like icicles inside him, like tiny cold pins under his skin through his bones. The smell of…
    Fear not, for I have redeemed you
    I have called you by name. You are mine…
    Over and over until the words lulled him into something between calm and numbness.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

EmilyRemixed
    @millennium

Asena sat, waiting.

She had been here for a hour, the sandglass slowly marking the time.

“Come on, Soren. Don’t make me nervous.” She drummed her fingers on the tabletop, smoothed by hours and days of maps, books, and sheets of paper being spread upon it and studied.

But at the moment it only held the sandglass, attached at its copper base to the table, almost ready to be turned on its axis.

She was tempted to practice her shapeshifting, but wanted to stay alert and ready in case of ambush. Rumours had it a traitor moved among their midst.

A shout echoed through the stone corridors and she glanced sharply at the open door but relaxed again. It just two opponents in the ring, practicing.

Soft footsteps in the corridor to the room. She stood abruptly from my chair and faced the doorway. The footfalls continued until she was certain whoever they belonged to would be standing in the room yet no one was visible…

Invisibles…

“I know you’re here!” She stated. “I can sense you…”

Silence and then a covering was placed around her eyes. Asena struggled, jerking her head back in attempts to escape. Suddenly the nerve in her upper leg was pinched, involuntarily immobilizing her for a moment as she twitched against the pain. She threw herself to the right, crashing into a wall and smacking her head. But she also heard her attacker grunt and hoped their hand had been crushed. It was hard to see through the blind around her eyes but felt the attacker’s hands grasp her shoulders and shove her forward.

She stumbled forward, went rolling, staggered to her feet and ripped her blindfold free. She looked around, stunned. She was in a library, completely different from the shadowy and fairy empty room she had just been in.

What happened?

When everything you touch turns to gold...
    gold...
    gold...
    gold...

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Alessio bolted upright the moment the stranger appeared, nearly incinerating the bed with startled sparks. Whoever she was she felt like danger and looked like feral determination. But she didn’t seeming an intentional threat right now, at least it was better than a dragon magic-ing in front of them. He tried to swallow his racing heart, mindlessly tugging the rim of his hood like a nervous tick. Ha, who needs sleep when you have this maniacal supernatural shifting castle trying to either kill or torture you and whatever other hapless victims appear after your whole life is already beyond shattered, not even to mention the mirror behind the veil? This day just never stops getting better…
    “So…that happened,” Alessio mumbled, drowsily rubbing his arms with an inaudible sigh. “Does anybody mind if I just.. stab myself?”
    Two seconds after he said that it occurred to him he shouldn’t have said that. Nice introduction. Because reasonably stable people soo say stuff like that. I just want sleep. Or death, whichever comes first…

EmilyRemixed
    @millennium

Asena recoiled at the sudden movement not far from her and slipped behind a bookshelf. Slowly removing a thick book titled the Art of Eating Cheese, she studied the man through the gap. His dark curly hair accented his eyes while his olive skin was marred with scars. Asena had scars of her own, but ones that were very faint. She spent little time out in the sun while they were healing, preventing scarring. Not intentionally, she just lived in the night and slept while the sun shone.

She slid down the bookcase and sat on the floor, summoning her concentration to begin the brief transformation. The tingling in her fingers was intense as her heart beat wildly in her chest. It was going to be hard to convert back today.

Closing her eyes, she drew a deep breath. Fur rushed over her skin and clothes, blanketing her as her libs adjusted to the shift. The change was swift and she now stood in the form of a golden wolf, pacing forward to examine the individual, teeth bared and ears pricked.

gold...
    gold...
    gold...

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Before he was fully alert the stranger disappeared behind a bookshelf. Alessio blinked, half wondering if he was just hallucinating from sleep-deprived high stress. All the same that was disconcerting and he was eerily aware of her likely presence in the room rather like sharp prickles under skin.
    Then a werewolf appeared (there weren’t any actual wolves in Casumbra he assumed she had to be a werewolf) her gold fur shuddering with the predatory movements of her sinewy muscles. Alessio watched the wolf between fascination and apprehension at the beast’s brutally graceful steps toward him, shimmery narrow pale green eyes like the Takashi legend almost unblinkingly fastened on him.
    Instinctively he jerked his feet back onto the bed, slightly more out of reach of the werecreature as if that was going to make any difference. What was the correct formal greeting for werecreatures? Yeah they were well past that and he had yet to meet someone from his world here anyway. Alessio propped his arms around his knees and quietly stared into the wolf’s hostile eyes for several seconds. Finally he said the most friendlyish thing that came to mind.
    “Most humans consider it impolite if you look at them like you’re considering murder.”

EmilyRemixed
    @millennium

Asena paused at the unusual comment. “Murder was not on my itinerary today. I was simply ensuring you wouldn’t attempt to attack me by shifting to a more threatening form.”

He gazed blankly back at her.

Asena continued. “I’d shift back, but shifting under stress or fear makes for a more…secure shift. A kind of safe guard of my ability to prevent changing back if complete loss of concentration occurs. To be honest, it’s more annoying than useful and I can’t fix it until I train more.” She cocked her head. “Any idea where I’m at?”

gold...
    gold...
    gold...

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Murder was not on my itinerary today. I was simply ensuring you wouldn’t attempt to attack me by shifting to a more threatening form.”
    Wow. So amicable. He gave her his best blank stare and she continued.
    “I’d shift back, but shifting under stress or fear makes for a more…secure shift.” He knew how that felt. “A kind of safe guard of my ability to prevent changing back if complete loss of concentration occurs. To be honest, it’s more annoying than useful and I can’t fix it until I train more.
    “Any idea where I’m at?” she added, tilting her gold muzzle which made for a rather odd expression on a wolf. Alessio peeked up at his other companions, Nithel, Brendin and Jericho wondering if they were going to help or if he was just going to have to say yet another thing that would get him in trouble and they’d just watch him get eaten when he infuriates the werewolf. This was already way past his normal quota of words per day.
    “Metaphorically I’d say somewhere between the Pit of Despair and the Cliffs of Neverending Nightmares.” he mumbled “Literally my best guess is lost, lost is our current position.”

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel had barely taken his eyes off Alessio as he was carried and as he laid in the bed. Nithel’s heart ached. Wanting to show him how much he was loved. We all make mistakes. 

Alessio bolted upright, eyes wide, sparks flying out of his hands. Nithel looked that way and saw a young woman standing in the library in their line of sight. Her eyes got large as well for a moment and she ducked out of sight.

Nithel’s brows lowered as he stared where she had been, then he took a step back toward Alessio, looking at him, then to Jericho and Brendan’s backs.

Nithel could feel the tenseness in his friend, and his forehead crinkled with pity. You are loved, aleaziz
    wahid. Nithel glanced toward the library, and unslipped his sling, eyes darting around for something he could use if the time came. There was a jade bauble with golden trim around it on a nightstand. He picked it up.

Alessio began fiddling with his cloak’s hood. “So…that happened,” Alessio’s voice was low, almost not there. “Does anybody mind if I just.. stab myself?”

Nithel’s heart ripped a bit, and he felt tears burning behind his eyes. He blinked to hold back the tears, swallowing while putting the spherical trinket in his sling. Quiet.

Nithel’s eyes focused on a wolf as it appeared from around a bookcase. His eyes crinkled, face strained with pain from thoughts. Nithel straightened, breathing, not trusting the dog.

It was a beautiful wolf, if nothing else. But it was approaching Alessio. Nithel’s brows lowered, and he took a step forward, nose flaring the smallest bit. Alessio jerked his legs away from the edge of his bed, and held them. Cautious.

Alessio spoke to it, like it would answer. “Most humans consider it impolite if you look at them like you’re considering murder.”

Then the thing spoke.

Nithel’s straightened, eyes widening as his jaw dropped. Bye bye fierceness. He stared at the dog, mouth agape. What? 

“Murder was not on my itinerary today. I was simply ensuring you wouldn’t attempt to attack me by shifting to a more threatening form.”

Nithel swallowed hard, and glanced at his three companions. Were none of them… Affected by this? Did they believe it normal?

The beautiful wolf continued, looking mostly to Alessio, and Nithel’s protectiveness spiked again. His shock lessoning. “I’d shift back, but shifting under stress or fear makes for a more…secure shift. A kind of safe guard of my ability to prevent changing back if complete loss of concentration occurs. To be honest, it’s more annoying than useful and I can’t fix it until I train more.” She cocked her head. “Any idea where I’m at?”

Change back? Was she– Nithel quenched the possibility. But his stomach began to feel queasy. Noy

As for where they were… Nithel didn’t look away from the creature, eyes almost hard, but also confused.

“Metaphorically, I’d say somewhere between the Pit of Despair and the Cliffs of Neverending Nightmares.” Alessio spoke, and Nithel licked his lips, almost looking to his friend. As for the words, Nithel memorized them to consider later.

“Literally my best guess is lost, lost is our current position.”

“Hm.” Nithel ran his teeth over each other for a moment. Then he took two steps back, to where it would take more than a leap for the wolf to reach him, if it was like the dhole. But he didn’t look away from it. All his questions seemed ignorant and dumb, for he was ignorant. But he didn’t want to show that more than he already had.

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Hm.” Alessio glanced at Nithel, who backed a couple steps away from the werewolf. Was that something new for him like the mirror, the books and…his fire? He quickly dropped his gaze back to the gold wolf, wondering a little over it. A part of him was somewhat sad, he loved that Nithel wasn’t afraid to ask questions, but now probably wasn’t the best time like at all.
    “I’ve never met a werewolf before,” Alessio said, mostly for his friend’s benefit. “I’ve always heard werecreatures can neither wield magic or be affected by it. But no one here’s from the same world, do the same rules apply?”
    This was more information than Alessio would’ve liked to give but he didn’t want to leave Nithel in the dark here.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Lord Castle is infuriated with boredom and inactivity. It’s as if these characters actually want to be happy 😛 Anyway, that can’t work.
    “We’re going to play a game.” It says through the walls of the library room. “It’s a rather interesting dilemma, each of you vote one person among you to die, if you fail to decide on a member you all die.
    Rule 1; you can’t pick yourself. It’s sweet but cliché, if you vote for yourself to die everyone dies.
    Rule 2; the majority wins, whoever is voted to die by the majority will die and the rest will live.
    Rule 3; you have ten minutes–or ten posts–to decide, if you fail to pick someone within that time period everyone dies.
    Rule 4; idk but that was fun. Lord Castle will add rules as needed (:
    Rule 5; oh, and like everybody gets one irrevocable vote which counts as a vote if said outloud.”

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@this-is-not-an-alien,

Aha! I recognize this! *cackles* The brutality…

————————————————-

“We’re going to play a game.”

Malvat jerked his head upright, nearly knocking over Thunderfoot with his snout.

“It’s a rather interesting dilemma, each of you vote one person among you to die, if you fail to decide on a member you all die.”

Cocking his head to the side, Malvat studied the walls, trying to pick up where the voice came from. It was an intriguing idea – one he cataloged to use later if he decided to toy with prey.

But Malvat was a dragon, a member of the High Races, and he was not prey.

“Rule 1,” the voice continued. “You can’t pick yourself. It’s sweet but cliché, if you vote for yourself to die everyone dies.”

Made sense. At least Malvat wouldn’t have to pretend to be noble and vote himself to death. This was the best moment to get rid of his greatest threat. Although he couldn’t, if he wanted to appear friendly. Hm.

“Rule 2; the majority wins, whoever is voted to die by the majority will die and the rest will live. Rule 3; you have ten minutes to decide, if you fail to pick someone within that time period everyone dies. Rule 4; I will add rules as needed.”

Malvat nodded to himself. Quite the way to get power. His eyes roamed the walls, finally pinpointing the one the voice seemed to come from. He slowly stood, gathering his powerful muscles together.

“Rule 5; oh, and like everybody gets one irrevocable vote which counts as a vote if said outloud.”

Good to know.

Malvat narrowed his eyes at the wall, heedless of the mankind behind him. In one powerful spring he launched at the top, the part where it connected to the ceiling, and slammed through with the ease of a shooting star. Rubble tumbled around him. He landed gracefully on the opposite side, shaking his head to clear his eyes from the dust and flaring his nostrils, searching for an unknown scent.

There… a hint of mankind scent, feminine, not Jericho. It smelled of High Race. Malvat furrowed his brows and peered through the settling dust to see…

Allessio, sitting on a bed with Nithel beside him and a golden she-wolf in front. Jericho stood beside a window, watching the exchange. Brendan was nowhere to be seen.

Relaxing into a friendly posture, Malvat dipped his head to the mankind, sifting slowly through the thoughts he could hear. “I figured it was time we rejoined.” He glanced behind him, through the hole in the wall. “There is a mankind here by the name of Gavin Thunderfoot. Who is this she-wolf, and was it she who issued the command?”

—————————-

@kimlikesart
    @skylarynn @crazywriter @millennium (Welcome, BTW! I have a quick question: are Asnea’s thoughts guarded from a telepath?)

"For love is strong as death." -God

EmilyRemixed
    @millennium

Asena listened to the voice of “Lord Castle” and felt a shiver run down her spine. Suddenly the wall shattered and dragon burst through, a cloud of pale dust showering him as he bounded forward and slewed before them.

“I figured it was time we rejoined.” He spoke and Asena narrowed her eyes at him. Dragons were always dangerous and unpredictable. Ryuu could shapeshift into a dragon and was the most arrogant person she knew…aside from Rohana.

The dragon glanced back at the hole he made. “There is a mankind here by the name of Gavin Thunderfoot. Who is this she-wolf, and was it she who issued the command?”

Asena rolled her eyes. “I’m human. Allow me to shift back…” She closed her eyes, blocking out the sounds around her, and focused. Drawing a deep breath, she shifted. The fur retracted and her body shrunk back to it’s natural shape, still fully clothed.

She tucked her dark blonde hair behind her shoulders and stared at them with her dark eyes. “I issued you no command. In fact, where I come from, I’m at the bottom of the chain of command.”

She glanced around the room. “Now, what of this game?”

——

@joelle-stone

Asena cannot resist telepathy but she has a higher level of consciousness, she needs it to be so to shapeshift, so it may be harder to enter her mind.

gold...
    gold...
    gold...

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 421 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest