fb

Fantasy Writers

Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 449 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Don’t stop running, don’t stop, don’t–
    Everything was a blur, past present, he wasn’t even thinking. He just had to get away from the wizard, he had to. Alessio sprinted down a corridor, heart pounding so fast it felt like his lungs were shredded. This wasn’t happening, this was happening but it wasn’t him just someone like him he didn’t exist he couldn’t feel anything. He couldn’t really see where he was going, his vision was distorted like the glass between an aquarium, his head felt like it was underwater, he couldn’t get enough air.
    It’s o-everything fi…everything fine. Calmdowncalmdownjustca–
    “Alessio.”
    He tripped into something so sudden his body lurched and he skidded to the floor. But he can’t remember falling, his arm scrapped into a counter in an attempt to catch himself. Nausea twists through his bones like frayed, burning wires. He couldn’t feel his hands plastered to the floor trying to hold him up. He couldn’t move he couldn’t breath, he froze begging his body to work. Calm down, just stop please sto–this isn’t, it’s not, it’s ok it’s fi–It’s not fine, just stop just stop cracking up!
    Everything blanked out like every function of his body short circuited. Dimly, he was aware of shaking with quiet, stifled sobs. And he couldn’t do anything he couldn’t stop crying. It felt like his insides were being strangled like his chest would crack.
    Thus says…thus says the Lord who crea…
    Fire scattered through the room spiraling around him like a protective egg. He wouldn’t think about it, he wouldn’t remember, he wouldn’t–stop crying, stop please stop.
    Fear no-…I have redeemed…have redeem…
    He clutched his hands into balls, the only movement he could control struggling to force himself to stop to calm down. The blaze around him would spike into shapes of thorns, thorns always looked scary to him when he was little. Trying to imagine something nice but his mind wouldn’t let him.
    Call you by na–who formed you…says the Lord who created y…who…

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

The youth tripped, and Nithel saw his chance. Pounce on the boy? Hold him and weep? Emotion and weariness still tugged on the man. He just wanted to go collapse somewhere. Let hot tears run down his face. But Alessio was important, more important than his feelings.

Alessio’s arm scraped across a wall, and Nithel’s teeth clenched, imagining the blood.

Alessio was crying. Nithel’s chest felt like it was ripping apart, his forehead wrinkling like a feild. He knelt beside Alessio, jaw clenched in pain, about to touch his shoulder. When the flames came. Bright, all around. Circling.

Nithel stumbled back, scooting away as fast as possible. Hot hot hot… He stayed on the ground, eyes wide as he stared.

The flames circled his friend. Nithel pressed against a wall, away from the flames. Then he chided himself, sweat on his forehead. Do something. Nithel swallowed hard, then he stepped near the inferno. “Alessio.” His voice broke with emotion, pain. “Alessio.” My brother, you are loved.  “Friend, and cherished one, you are seen. You are loved. You are valued.” Nithel knelt close to the sea of flames, looking in. Trying to see his friend, hunched inside.

—————-

@joelle-stone
    @skylarynn @this-is-not-an-alien @crazywriter

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Alessio.” Nithel’s voice was cracked. Alessio wasn’t sure whether he was really hearing anything or just hallucinating. Everything shook, his vision shook his insides shook. Any air he could breath had a hard time tearing through the knot his throat that felt like a wadded paper dipped in chlorophyll. Don’t think about it don’t think don’t remember don’t think don’t–
    “Alessio.” How are you still here, you can’t be here, I’m not whatever you thin–whatever you think is redeemable or–He stared at the floor, trying to focus everything on forming words. It wasn’t working, tearstains itched the lines of his face. Nothing he did was working he couldn’t get control of his own emotions, he just couldn’t keep himself in check, he couldn’t–
    “Friend, and cherished one, you are seen.”
    “St-stop,” The words weren’t even audible. I’m not redeemable I’m not fixable I’ll only hurt you stop trying to save me please, I don’t want you to get hurt too pleas–
    “You are loved. You are valued.” I shouldn’t be! I’m not redeemable I’m only making things worse for you! A nauseating roller coaster of hot flashes and chills was so dizzying he had to distance himself from his body to sustain any remaining fraction of sanity. I’m a monster
    “St-stop stop,” He barely managed in an almost coherent whisper. You can’t save me, you can’t fix me I’ll just hurt you I’m not worth it I’m not– He swallowed, still searching for the soothing, repetitive words he memorized
    “Thus says the Lord who created…” He ghosted the words “who created you…”
    He closed his eyes, unable to hear anything but his own choked breathing. He wanted to shout, to scream at Nithel to stay away just get away. Blood pounded his ears, hot numb tingling surged over his skin like something between a dream and reality.
    Fear not…for I have redeemed…redeemed you…have called you by na–
    “St-stop…trying…to fix–” to fix me…With an effort, he slowly raised his eyes to his…friend. It was impossible to see clearly, but Nithel had knelt beside him. Fire around him trembled and dissipated a little, spreading around the walls, he was trying to get it away from Nithel.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“St-stop stop,” Alessio stuttered, squeezing himself in a tighter ball.

Nithel felt tears tracing down his cheeks. “My friend.” How he wanted to embrace the youth. To cry on him. To tell him he was loved and why. But Nithel didn’t want to get burned.

“Thus says the Lord who created…” Alessio whispered the words “Who created you…”

Nithel swallowed hard, still staring at Alessio, tears running down his face.

“St-stop…trying…to fix–” Alessio’s voice was like the wisps of a candle. Smoke fading.

Nithel swallowed hard, forehead wrinkled as he crouched as close as he dared. The flames were hot. “My friend.” In a whisper.

Slowly, carefully, like every move was a struggle, Alessio lifted his head and looked at Nithel. Nithel met his friend’s eyes, and his face wrinkled all over as a few more tears slid down.

The fire faded a bit, then jumped out, hugging the walls instead of the youth. Nithel’s chest froze a moment, but he was already coming closer, very close. He touched Alessio’s turned-up shoulder, and more or less dragged him into a hug.

Nithel’s chest jerked in a stifled sob, but he squeezed Alessio tighter. Pressing his forehead into Alessio’s shoulder, the sign of sorrow. “My friend,” Nithel’s face crumbled with pain, “why do you doubt?”

———————–

@joelle-stone

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“My friend.” Nithel was crying. Everything was so dizzyingly blurry, he couldn’t force himself to stop and he wanted to more than anything. It was hurting his friend Stop, please stop, I’m just hurting you! He didn’t want to remember he couldn’t remember he didn’t want to re–
    Alessio flinched, feeling himself pulled into a hug. Instinctively he almost made an effort to push away but froze at the sudden warmth. He was too stunned to think or move. It was warm, warmer than anyth–Nithel squeezed him tighter with a stifled sob, pressing his forehead close. What-why-how could–?
    I…
    “My friend,” His voice was cut with pain, “why do you doubt?”
    I’m a…
    Alessio was too tired and shocked to do anything. They–he couldn’t just–he had to do something…He’d never felt safe before, and this was warm and…his breath shook, he couldn’t stop his heart throbbing frantically, this didn’t even feel real but…But I don’t deserve this I’m not redeem…He wanted to, his friend seemed to think there was something he could sav–
    “I’m not what you thin-…” He mumbled, trying to protest. He felt like a liar if Nithel thought there was something worth fighting for in him. But he couldn’t think of a way to convince his friend that. Alessio wanted it to be true but it was too late. He’d never felt so much love and compassion pouring out of anyone before. He’d always assumed it was an unrealistic–selfish–want, like reaching for the sun. This was just a dream, wasn’t it? Just a wishful…dream?

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

I’m not what you think. Alessio whispered, and Nithel breathed a moment.

What does he believe I see? Nithel squeezed Alessio a bit tighter, holding him as he pondered. Then Nithel lifted his chin, and looked at Alessio. Sadness in his eyes, but also firmness, “Eaziziun Wahid,” very softly, “even if you had murdered someone, I would not leave you.” I promised. I said I would not leave. I said you were my friend. I will not let my words be a lie. His eyes are sincere, sad, his forehead firm.

You do not know my full story, my friend. Whether you deserve it means nothing. Nithel stared into Alessio’s eyes a moment, wanting to tell Alessio he loved him. But if one did not know the meaning of the word ‘love’, it could not be taken the same. So he just stared at him, eyes thinking, present. He wants to drag Alessio into a hold again, breath and think.

—————

@joelle-stone

Jominkreesa

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

Hey everyone, sorry for the prolonged absence; there was a semi traumatic incident a few days ago and then my schedule has been booked since.

Jericho healed the wounds on Brendin’s face as quickly as she could without doing a hasty job of it.  She needed to follow the others after Alessio had run off, but she couldn’t leave Brendin here alone and unconscious…

Sighing, Jericho closed her eyes and concentrated, pressing her mind to his.  Wake.  You are needed.

The man stirred and sat up with a groan.  He ran a hand over his face and seemed surprised when it came away unstained.  “What happened?”

Jericho glanced at him before returning her gaze to the direction the other two had run off in.  “We heard your cry, Nithel brought you to the bed, and I healed you.  And then Alessio fled and Nithel followed.  What happened to you, my friend?”

“A nightmare…or maybe a memory…”  He came to his feet.  “Where did the others go?”

The woman led the way down the long passage to where they found Alessio and Nithel embracing on the floor as flames continued to dance around the walls haphazardly.  Brendin immediately began channeling the erratic fire into his syne, drawing it away from the others.  Jericho could feel the panic and terror Alessio suffered.  She approached slowly, calmly, and laid a hand on his back.  Calm.  Jericho projected as much peace and tranquility as she could into his mind.

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @joelle-stone @kimlikesart @crazywriter

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

“Gavin Thunderfoot. Halt.”

The mankind hesitated, as if considering obedience, then continued his rapid flight. Malvat temporarily lost sight of him as he wove around corners, but the sound of his thoughts let Malvat track him down.

Cursing the size of his dragon-form, Malvat paused his movement and cautiously tested the sturdiness of a wall. Perhaps he could just barrel through them and corner the mankind – but he didn’t want to start off on the wrong foot. Too late for that, though. He growled under his breath. Why was this so difficult?

“Alessio!” The cry was in the voice of the grey-eyed – Nithel, if Malvat sensed the various thoughts correctly. An odd name. Was the Bearer causing problems? How perfect.

Thunderfoot’s thoughts had faded out of range as Malvat paused, but now they were slowly coming back. Nithel’s human voice had drawn him back. Malvat considered shifting form to become less terrifying, but decided that his half-man shape would probably be every bit as disconcerting. So he lowered himself in front of the entrance Nithe’s voice had rung through and curled his tail, wondering if he could appear less threatening. According to Thunderfoot’s thoughts, he was just another hapless individual brought to this forsaken place to be toyed with, and as such, Malvat should make friends.

But how was a dragon his size supposed to look friendly? Should he smile? No, that would probably appear to be a snarl or aggressive showing of his teeth. Should he snatch the mankind off the ground and talk some sense into him? Alas, that method never worked.

Eventually Malvat decided to let his head settled down on his forearms as he tried to paste a placid, friendly look onto his face, which wasn’t that easy with a snout. It would have to be good enough, though.

So the dragon waited as Gavin Thunderfoot’s thoughts drew nearer.

————————

@crazywriter
    @skylarynn (oof, I know what a full schedule is like) @this-is-not-an-alien @kimlikesart

"For love is strong as death." -God

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

As his blinding panic began to subside, every fiber of strength was utterly exhausted. He was tired and hungry, this thoughts and emotions too frayed to focus. He didn’t want to move but he felt like he had to fight it this was wrong. Nithel squeezed him tighter and part of Alessio wanted this warmth to last forever, he was so tired of running.
    After a moment his friend, stirred, turning to look up at him. Alessio tensed a little, not wanting to have to go back, or do anything just yet. But Nithel looked at him intently, painfully.
    “Eaziziun Wahid,” he said quietly “even if you had murdered someone, I would not leave you.”
    Alessio blanched at the words. Maybe I should have. He held Nithel’s gaze but his eyes were a little distant, half-panicked. There was too much, but…I don’t want to remember. With a soft, shaky breath he tried to compile just enough information to explain to his friend. Not the full story just something brief enough he could say it quickly and be done with it.
    “It would be safer for you if you’d just leave me alone,” Alessio whispered, not looking in his friend’s eyes, trying not to think of Brendin bloody and on the floor. “When I was fourteen I tried to escape someone…someone…”
    He closed his eyes, struggling to shut it out and just get this over with.
    “He found me and he killed…” Alessio halted sharply, tears fogging his vision. When he continued his voice was so low and bitter he wasn’t even addressing Nithel consciously.“He tortured and killed someone…because I had to get out…”
    ‘You brought this on yourself…
    you’re the monster here.’ That’s what he said, that’s what…Alessio pulled back a little, glaring at floor, or at himself he wasn’t really sure which. It was impossible, as impossible as the Tree reaching for the Sun, for him to truly claw out of that hell. Why did he keep reaching for a warmth and light that could never…?
    “I don’t want you to help me, anyone who comes near me is cursed!” He’s not dead, he hasn’t given up, I should’ve found a way to kill him I should’ve…found something…(I trusted him). Alessio made something of an effort to get away, too completely deathly tired to succeed. He stared at the floor, numbly trying to wipe muddy tears with the back of his hand.
    “I should’ve left sooner, maybe Brendin would still be alive.” he murmured “I’m sorry..”

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

(facepalms *I only skimmed over the other posts before copy and pasting and I can’t find my edit lol*)

Behind him he could hear the others catch up. Alessio flinched when Jericho touched him. But he’d never felt so much…he didn’t know. He didn’t know what to do and now that pretty much everyone was here he apparently couldn’t just get away.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“Brendan is not dead.” Nithel whispered, his chest aching so much, but he let Alessio scoot back.

Nithel continued, voice soft, measured, “I will stay with you, even if I am cursed. A life lived in safety is selfish.” Nithel’s eyes were serious, showing the ache inside him. “I am not saying safety should not be desired. Rest is good. But if your safety costs the safety of others… It is not right. That is why I will not leave you.” But what the youth had said

You blame yourself for another’s death. Splitting pain touches Nithel’s eyes. “And I am sorry.” His forehead wrinkles, considering opening that wound Jacine had worked so hard to close. “I failed to-”

The fire was disappearing. Vanishing. Brendan. Nithel’s eyes widened, darting to the doorway. He sat up straighter. Brendan was there. Healthy and whole. 

Jericho came over and touched Alessio’s shoulder. Nithel jumped inside, again unsure what to think of others touching his friend. But… Alessio deserved as much kindness as could be given. Nithel stayed close, but also scooted back a bit, just in case Alessio wanted to stand. Nithel didn’t wish to be in the way.

——————–

@joelle-stone

Jominkreesa

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

Gavin slowly walked down the hall, listening, and hoping the human voices would return, so he could be sure he was going the right way.

He became aware of a strange smell in his journey through the maze of tunnels, and wondered what it was. He soon found out however, as he came face to face with a dragon.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Brendin is not dead.” Nithel whispered. Alessio looked up, almost hopeful like he wanted to believe it. But they never missed. He needed to get ou–
    “I will stay with you, even if I am cursed. A life lived in safety is selfish.” Alessio winced a little at the word ‘selfish’. It had been used a lot in his childhood to coerce him into consenting to little things that became more and more questionable. “I am not saying safety should not be desired. Rest is good. But if your safety costs the safety of others…It is not right.”
    Even though he knew Nithel didn’t mean it like that, the words felt like a slap in the face. He had tried to escape an unlivable situation and it had cost someone their life. And he already believed it was wrong, he knew the wizard would stop at nothing to get him but he couldn’t believe or imagine anyone that ruthless. Especially not someone who…
    It’s his fault, even by his friend’s logic.
    “That is why I will not leave you. And I am sorry.” Nithel paused a second and Alessio recognized the look like memories on his friend’s face. “I failed to-”
    Just then footsteps raced behind them, and Nithel fell silent with a startled expression at something past Alessio’s shoulder. Without thinking, Alessio followed his gaze just as Jericho touched him suddenly enough he flinched. Something soothing surged through him. He blinked, confused, trying to assess this foreign emotion. Then he saw Brendin. Alessio stared at him unable to speak.

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

The flames began to die down almost on their own once Jericho laid her hand on Alessio’s shoulder.  Brendin lowered his arm and regarded the others.  “What happened?”

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @kimlikesart  Sorry it’s so short, but it seems the best way to move things along.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“What happened?” Brendin asked and Alessio cringed internally. At this point he just wanted it over and his highest aspiration was to make it through the day. He’d given up arguing with Nithel they clearly weren’t going to let him just slip off even if he was putting them all in danger and was probably the most useless and troublesome member of the group. It was bad enough to have a breakdown, for everyone to have witnessed it and…He really was unstable, wasn’t he?
    “I don’t want to talk about it.” Alessio murmured finally. They needed to move forward, they’d wasted enough time on him. If he couldn’t leave he should at least carry his own weight.
    “What happened after you pulled back the veil?” He asked, quietly pulling himself to his feet with his last and rather non-existent reserve of strength, not meeting anyone’s eyes. He wasn’t sure he really expected an answer but…they never missed a target, ever.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 449 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest