fb

Fantasy Writers

Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 312 total)
  • Author
    Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Malvat stared over the heads of the mankind into the circular room. Through one door four beds took up a wall, through another he could see a spacious library-type room, and through a third there was a comfortable rug in a large globe-shaped room. His nostrils flared as he picked up the scent of a crackling fire. Great. The Bearers had fuel.

“I take it this is our cue to rest,” he rumbled, glancing at Brendin and Alessio. “Although there is an uneasy presence here.” He inhaled deeply and narrowed his eyes at the one doorway covered with a dream-like white veil. His sharp ears picked up the sound of someone – or something – breathing softly.

“Perhaps,” he murmured to the man with the grey eyes. “Perhaps we should proceed with caution.”

—————–

@kimlikesart
    @this-is-not-an-alien @skylarynn @crazywriter

"For love is strong as death." -God

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Alessio blinked, trying to shrug off his thoughts, and glanced up. Beside him, Nithel seemed upset. Had he done something, what’s wrong? Maybe something he said reminded Nithel of some old wound or…Nithel was sad for him…?

Things are better or…at least getting better. I’m fine, it’s ok. Please don’t cry. He never should’ve said anything, he should’ve just let it be, Nithel had done nothing cruel or mean or bad to him he didn’t deserve to be upset. Alessio didn’t quite understand understand why Nithel reacted like that since this was his normal and actually a little better than usual. And he really didn’t know how to respond.

“..Nithel?” Alessio whispered. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, please don’t be sad. Alessio had the sense to know that apologizing to Nithel would probably just make his friend more upset. After a second, he tenitively touched Nithel’s arm. He wasn’t really sure if he was supposed to, he’d always been taught men weren’t supposed to show emotions. Whenever he was really upset Leander used to jostle his shoulder so Alessio tried that and kinda jumped back the moment he did, attempting a sort’ve playful smile, somewhat to convince his friend he was ok.

If it had been anything at all not related to Alessio that Nithel was sad about he might’ve been better at it, but this was just his normal it didn’t make any sense for anybody to be…to bother

“I take it this is our cue to rest,” Malvat rumbled, startling Alessio who looked around at the circular bedroom. There were windows, he was so relieved to see windows, he could barely breath in the windowless, enclosed passages. “Although there is an uneasy presence here.”

As the dragon had pointed out, something was making a soft unnatural noise beyond a ghostly, rather phantasmal veil. But Alessio wasn’t really paying attention to that.

“Are those books?” Alessio whispered as if he’d just entered heaven. In the back of his mind, he could sense a warm, tantalizing glow of fire somewhere in the room. He stared up at Nithel, torn, dying to run his fingers through the pages of each book but unwilling to leave his friend.

@kimlikesart
    @skylarynn @crazywriter (welcome aboard!) @joelle-stone

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“..Nithel?” Alessio whispered.

Nithel’s eyes lifted to him. Pained, but the man attempted a small smile for his friend, that slowly dwindled as he saw fear in Alessio’s eyes. He was sorry. About something. Is it- He cares about my tears. Yet unshed. Nithel’s lips twitched a small bit, teasing a grateful smile. Then Alessio touched Nithel’s arm, and heat filled Nithel’s bosom. He had not been touched, in such a way, since Mihael… Thank you. Nithel let the thanks fill his eyes.

Then Alessio punched his arm, playfully, and Nithel’s eyes twinkled. Then his teeth showed in the smallest smile. He was still a boy. Learning how-

“I take it this is our cue to rest,” The dragon rumbled.

Nithel jumped eyes darting over the room.

Woe. So… much. Nithel had never been in such opulence before. And the beds… He slept on a rug in the corner of Amit’s shop usually. Not even Mihael and Gabrel had, had such beds.

Alessio was staring at the windows. Nithel’s eyes were touched with a bit more happiness, face loosing the tautness at the youth’s joy.

Then the dragon spoke again, and Nithel heard something behind a white curtain. His first impulse was to walk through the fabric, immediately, find out what it was. But then fear touched him, and he hesitated.

“Are those books?” Alessio whispered, and Nithel’s gaze jumped to him again.

Books? Nithel looked where Alessio’s eyes were fastened, Books. Books were what had made Alessio so excited before. And chocolate. And windows now.  

Alessio looked back at Nithel, seeming to ask if he could go.

Nithel shook his head the smallest bit, an equally small smile on him. “Do not let me hold you back.” Then after a second, “But be careful Alessio.” Nithel’s brow furrowed the smallest bit. The books look inviting, but… what if we are truly meant to go through the white veil?

————

@joelle-stone
    @skylarynn @this-is-not-an-alien  @crazywriter

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

(@everyone I’mma use this to set up something for Brendin, so if you wouldn’t mind the other characters not going past the veil for a bit that would be great.  🙂 )

“Perhaps,” he murmured to the man with the grey eyes. “Perhaps we should proceed with caution.”

Brendin glanced at the dragon warily, but ignored his warning for the moment.  As the others spread throughout the rooms he stepped towards the veiled room.  Brendin was curious, of course, but usually his curiosity was tempered by caution; something else was drawing him towards the gauzy curtain.  Murmuring whispers floated through the air from beyond.  There was something lurking there, luring him.  He could sense, as though from a distance, or through a dream, that it had ensnared him and was now reeling him in.

Almost before he was fully aware of it, Brendin found himself standing before the curtain.  Without the slightest hesitance he brushed it aside and crossed the veil.

“I take it this is our cue to rest,” The dragon rumbled.

“So it would seem,” Jericho said lightly.  She watched as Alessio hurried off towards the room full of books and, after a moment, followed.

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @joelle-stone @kimlikesart @crazywriter

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Do not let me hold you back.” Nithel said with a small smile that made Alessio smile back a little, suddenly warm inside and a little bewildered by it. “But be careful Alessio.”
    His friend’s protectiveness touched him, although he had a hard time taking it seriously with everything that’d already happened to him. It seemed like a fact of fate that he always managed to strike people as someone perennially helpless. Alessio nodded with a slightly crooked smile.
    “I’m very responsible.” He said in a not at all reassuring voice. Nithel looked like he was thinking about touching the creepy curtain. And he made bad decisions? Please let the sleeping daemons lie.
    Alessio took his friend’s hand as he threw open any window that was curtained. Evening light flooded the floors and the air is thin and sharp. Mechanically running through these actions, he couldn’t focus on anything but the odd feeling of “safe” human contact. This couldn’t be real, it was too…warm.
    He didn’t let go of Nithel’s hand as if letting go would break the spell or something. There were so many books to go through he hadn’t seen so many he could actually touch and flip through in years. He took a book from the shelf and dropped cross legged on the floor, fire-dashed eyes never leaving the page. Alessio had to find a book with pictures so his friend could appreciate it.
    In a matter of seconds he had several books out and was systematically piling them by subjects. There were histories, botany, zoology…were they from the castle or from their worlds? He skimmed over the spine of a brown steel-encased tome for the title; Casumbran Creatures and Lore. After a moment Alessio carefully peeled open the pages. Soft iridescent reader greeted him, laced over the parchment. It was for people who couldn’t read, the powder was supposed to be pixy dust mined from the time they existed but it was expensive to keep buying so a sign of nobility was to be able to read without it.
    Alessio blew on it softly and the glittering dust fluttered in the air within seconds clustering into a dimensional image of the Silver Tree with the two runes that were too blurry to see with the reader. That was the story of humans entering Casumbra, Alessio had heard it a billion times so he turned the pages very gently so he didn’t spill the rest of the reader.
    The powdery images still circled around him and Nithel showing the beautiful tree branched out through the Sioan Forest surrounded with wooden notes where people left their petitions for the vigilante guild. It fissured a little and a girl with golden hair slipped into the world, back when Casumbra was newborn and open and different things from all worlds wandered in and out almost randomly. But Deep Magic closed off eventually and with it the natural connection between worlds. The reader faded after it had shown people–mostly children–wandering through the tree and settling Casumbra. Alessio was still absorbing pages of trivia for each creature and folklore. The whispery voices were distracting but he was hopeful if he continued to ignore it the whatever would do him the same courtesy.
    “That’s not how a real daemon acts anyway.” he mumbled. When the now-pale dust settled he glanced up at Nithel then at Jericho who had just stepped in. “Maybe there’s a book about your world here…”

@joelle-stone
    @kimlikesart @crazywriter @skylarynn

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Alessio nodded with a slightly crooked smile, saying like he didn’t mean it, “I’m very responsible.”

Nithel believed it. His eyes touched a small bit of seriousness before Alessio grabbed his hand, and a smile stole the man’s eyes. His friend dragged him about and Nithel was close to laughter, eyes dancing at the abandon of the boy as Nithel was tugged every which way.

The man glanced around, lips parted in joyous shock, as if to ask- Is anyone else seeing this? 

After throwing back all the curtains, except the veil, the youth darted down an ally of books. Alessio abruptly dropped Nithel’s hand, dragged a book from the shelf, and dropped into a sitting position, legs crossed.

Nithel smiled down at him as Alessio opened the tomb. His eyes remained fastened to the page, like he was in awe that he had one in his lap.

Nithel stares down with tender happiness. Happiness was a treasure, and wonder a gift. 

Alessio then bounded up, setting the book aside. He then dismantled the shelf, one book by one book. Until there were piles all around him. Nithel took several steps back, until he was leaning against the side of a window. He watched Alessio a moment, then would look out at the land.

His chest felt empty, but full of led, and he was stunned. He ached to go cry somewhere. His mind was overwhelmed… with everything. His eyes stared at the darkening sky, as his thoughts wandered.

Stars began to appear, and Nithel stared up at them. Longing, but a new ache jabbed him. They were strangers. He didn’t know any of them. None of their names. None of their stories. Perhaps this could be a story… 

Alessio then let out a soft cry. Joy. Nithel looked that way, swallowing to clear his throat. Alessio was kneeling with another book, staring at it with the same awe. Nithel’s face was blank, stoic, but he watched Alessio with calm gratefulness.

Glowing dust flew about the pages, and Nithel’s eyes widened. Noy. How-

Jericho appeared at the other end of the aisle. She moved toward Alessio, wanting to see the book.

A magic book. Magic… No one who followed the Star Breather had magic. He needed to talk with Alessio.

The whispering in the next room continued. And hesitantly, very hesitantly, Nithel approached Alessio, not entirely sure why he did without being invited.

Then the image… Nithel stared at it a fraction of a second before it vanished. Alessio had turned the page. More dust circled and fluttered around them. Nithel’s chest tightened, and he stared at it as it surrounded him. How… strange. His front teeth pressed into each other, and he held his breath a bit without realizing it.

There was a tree on the page. Silver. Two sections, where scribbles were, were on the page as well. Alessio then turned the page again, carefully, as if it was covered with sand, and he didn’t want it to fall out.

The dust continued to lift with each page turn, and Nithel’s teeth ran over each other softly. He wanted to dart away, but for some reason couldn’t. He set his jaw and stood there. Not moving. The images continued to appear, and he stared at them. Wondering, but completely silent, shoulders straightening. He wanted out…

The silver tree stretched out through a forest, with slips of wood left about. People dropping them.

Then a small girl. Nithel stared at her, and his forehead wrinkled. She had golden hair… Like Elia. Then the way she had walked through vanished. Nithel’s chest tightened more.

Then children, many children, began to walk through the silver tree, as if it was an invisible door. Then they spread throughout a land.

The glitter slowly faded, and Alessio muttered, “That’s not how a real daemon acts anyway.”

Nithel’s brows lifted, then he could breathe again. He blinked several times. A daemon? He doesn’t know what it is. He wants to ask, but is still mentally slumped from the book. How had- What… He closes his eyes, shoulders the smallest bit slumped.

Alessio glanced over both his shoulders, to Jericho, then to Nithel. “Maybe there’s a book about your world here…”

Nithel blinked twice, then looked down to Alessio. He tried to lose the serious look, Alessio was so happy. But… Nithel wanted to speak with him, badly. Nithel nodded a bit, in answer, Maybe there is another… But I don’t want another of those. I… don’t understand… any of it… He bit the inside of his lip.

The beginning of your world. Something whispered in his mind. You have always dreamed... But Nithel still wasn’t sure. He really wished to go off now. In a corner. Somewhere. Weep. But… he stayed. With them. Still feeling completely overwhelmed, and remaining silent so as not to show it. He remembered the time he had exploded with Gabrel… That- and Nithel’s chest ached.

———-

@joelle-stone
    @skylarynn @this-is-not-an-alien  @crazywriter

Jominkreesa

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

“Maybe there’s a book about your world here…”

Jericho’s deep blue eyes flicked upwards in alarm.  If such a book were indeed here, it was likely to contain a more accurate version of the story she told.  After all, it was part of the founding legend of the Kithnarya.  Jericho had rarely shared her role in the story with anyone; she had told the legend truthfully many times, of course.  She was the one who arranged it and fit all the pieces in their proper places so the truth could be understood.  But even as she told the story, she would never admit her own place within it.  Her trust had been too eroded over time.

“Perhaps there is,” the woman managed after a moment of silence.  She helped him search, until she came to a tome titled ჯერიჩო ქუვადჰუჰ.  Jericho Kuvadhuh.  She skimmed a few of the pages; it was a biography, detailing her life, her involvement in the Daraya family line, and how she helped lead to the founding of Kitharin.

Dazed, Jericho was only half aware of the book slipping through her fingers and landing on the floor.  At least it was written in the Kidarin script, and thus the boy and Nithel would not be able to read it.

~

Having passed the veil, the source of warmth in the other rooms was now apparent; just beyond the curtain was a lit brazier, the only source of light in the circular stone room.  Directly behind the brazier stood a tall mirror of blackened silver.  Some chary instinct told him the mirror was what had drawn Brendin here, murmuring soft whispers into the air.  He warily approached the dark glass.

In the mirror was not Brendin’s reflection, however; instead a woman stood there regally, poised and composed, stiff-backed and stern in a conservative blue dress beneath a heavy chestplate.  Brendin did not recognize her, yet at the same time he knew her.  The Northern Marshal, his mother.

The Lady Warin’s demeanor softened slightly as her eyes fell on him.  “Where have you been?” she asked quietly.  Her tone was somber, threaded with disbelief at seeing him.

Brendin’s reflection was not entirely vacant from the mirror, his visage superimposed faintly over the image of his mother.  He could see the dead look in his eyes when he answered her.  “The Wold.”

Fear rose to her eyes.  “You’re a Maere.”

Brendin said nothing.

“You’ve come to kill me…” the Lady whispered, drawing her weapon.  He made no attempt to correct or dissuade her.  If anything, rather than distraught or enraged as the mirror intended, Brendin looked only tired.  So the mirror tried again.

Now a shadowy black figure filled the tarnished glass.  “Found at last,” it hissed, the reptilian voice grating on Brendin’s ears.  He resisted the urge to flee.  “My dear man, did you really think you would ever truly escape from me?”  It chuckled darkly and Brendin felt his face flush with hatred and fear.  He tried to look away but the mirror drew him back to itself.

Well, Brendin?  Have you no words?  No bitter declarations of the utmost loathing?

The man said nothing.  His jaw was growing sore from holding his mouth shut.

I must say, I’m surprised,” Ingor went on.  “Cyn tells me you quite despise me.

“What do you want?” Brendin managed, only barely keeping his voice steady.

The wraith made a most unpleasant sound.  Laughter.  “My dear man, surely you know the answer to that.  I want you to join us again.  The prodigal son.  Not even my precious Cyn could cause so much wanton death as you when the mood took you.”

He could feel Ingor beginning to pull him closer.  Nothing harsh as yet, just a steady tug at his core.  But Brendin had no intention of being dragged back into Ingor’s service as a murderer.  “No.”

Are you sure?

The invisible force drawing Bren into the mirror suddenly amplified and he jerked forwards, only barely managing to catch himself and brace his arms against the frame of the mirror.

You know how I feel when you turn me down…

A skeletal, emaciated hand stretched out from the mirror, reaching towards Brendin’s chest.

Don’t make me hurt you.”

Brendin’s arms were shaking from the strength it took to fight against Ingor’s hold.  He wouldn’t be able to avoid what followed.

Ingor pressed his hand against Brendin’s chest and the man to cut off a strangled cry of pain.  The wraith was clawing at Brendin’s soul, digging in with his talons and tearing into his core.  He could taste copper in his mouth and it took all his strength just to keep himself from falling into the mirror.

Have you changed your answer?

“Still no,” Brendin gasped.

The claws dug deeper, ripping into him, and turned his gasped words into an agonized shout.  He couldn’t hold himself up against the mirror any longer and his arms gave way.  Brendin crashed into the mirror, shattering it and cutting up his face, before collapsing unconscious to the floor in a shower of broken glass.  Blood leaked in a small rivulet from the corner of his mouth.

Nothing to see here, just tormenting my characters with their pasts.  Also it would be great if someone heard Brendin and went to check on him because I don’t think he’s doing so good at the moment.

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @joelle-stone @kimlikesart @crazywriter

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel was running. He had side-stepped Jericho, her fallen book, and the sitting Alessio; Brendin had screamed.

Nithel skidded before the white curtain, pausing for less than a second. The man had gone in. Alone. Nithel looked over his shoulder toward Alessio and Jericho, then ripped back the curtain and entered quickly.

The mirror had already reformed itself.

“Brendin.” Nithel whispered, rushing over to him and kneeling. Brendin was lying on the ground, blood covered his face and trickled from his mouth. Nithel’s eyes wrinkled, What would Mihael do? Like the time with the axe and his leg… But the man was unconscious. Like when Gabrel almost died. 

Jericho. Nithel’s eyes widen. Jericho could help… couldn’t she? Or… He didn’t know.

Nithel glanced toward the mirror, and something made the hair on his arms stand up. His stomach twisted. Like he was being searched and seen. His eyes narrowed on the glass, mind getting a weird twitching.

Nithel put his arms beneath Brendin, trying to be careful. Nithel lifted him, grunting as he stood. Nithel’s brows were low, Beydana ean almurata. Adfaeh beydana. He took Brendin swiftly out, away from the curtain and mirror. The strange feeling followed him.

Nithel laid the man on a bed, carefully, then stepped back from Brendin, suddenly realizing Alessio and Jericho had followed.

@joelle-stone
    @skylarynn @this-is-not-an-alien  @crazywriter

Jominkreesa

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

Thunder coughed, the dust from the old tomes settling around him.

Where am i? What is this place?

He had no memory of entering this dark room, and in fact, he didnt remember much at all, except his name. Gavin Thunderfoot. Or just Thunder.

He pushed himself out of the massive pile of books, old scrolls, and ancient writings tumbling across the cold stone floor. His leather jerkin and buckskin pants were covered in dust, as was the sheath that held his sword. He knew nothing but his name, and that he had to find out where he was, and how to get out.

He walked silently over to the heavy wooden door, with a small looking space at eye level, an he pulled it open. He grimaced at the lound thud it made, hitting the stone floor, alerting everybody and anybody to his existence. He looked down the hall, lit by dim torches, and he decided to take the left. Before he could however, he heard footsteps.

Crap.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Where am I? What is this place?

The thought floated through Malvat’s head, spoken in a strong voice. A newcomer? Did all mankind enjoy hiding in the shadows instead of presenting themselves as soon as they arrived?

Malvat turned towards the thought, narrowing his eyes at a broad panel of dark wood on the wall, no longer concealed by the curtain Alessio had pulled aside. Flames licked his insides as he contemplated setting the whole board on fire – after all, that would persuade whoever was hiding to emerge – but he swallowed the heat and instead watched as a hole appeared, revealing the magnified eye of a mankind, just as a dull thunk! echoed through the room. Almost as soon as the man had peeped out he withdrew.

Malvat slithered away from the others and silently pulled the board from the wall, muscles rippling methodically. He cautiously set the board by the wall and ducked into the hall, seeing the retreating shadow of the man as he managed to get in. His footsteps were quiet for a beast of his size, but it was hard to keep them from reverberating around the walls.

Crap. 

The mankind’s voice traveled across Malvat’s mind again. He knew the dragon was there. But the man’s thoughts were strangely empty, though, with no memories or secrets, only processing what his senses told him and three other things:

My name is Gavin Thunderfoot. I have to find out where I am and how I’ll get out.

“Gavin Thunderfoot,” Malvat rumbled, keeping his voice neither hostile nor friendly. Perhaps by protecting the others from an intruder he could gain their trust. “Halt.”

—————————-

@crazywriter
    (awesome first post!) @skylarynn @this-is-not-an-alien @kimlikesart

"For love is strong as death." -God

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Nithel nodded a bit when he suggested there might be books of their worlds. But he looked hurt and evasive about it. Alessio stared at his friend, the delighted light in his eyes starting to shatter. What happened, had he done something? Was Nithel ok?
    “Perhaps there is,” Jericho said uneasily and began to turn over books with him. A wave of guilt flushed through Alessio as he glanced between them, certain he must’ve said the wrong thing and upset them. In seconds he felt nauseous with an irrational terror worming through his bones. He could shut it off mentally but his chest still tightened like a steel trap.
    Then Brendin screamed.
    Alessio flinched with a stifled cry, Nithel was already hurling back the white curtain. No, before he knew what he was doing Alessio ran in after his friend. Nono no, this wasn’t–he could see droplets of blood splattered on the floor. This wasn’t like–it wasn’t the same as…
    Nithel hadn’t wasted a second, he had Brendin on one of the beds.
    Alessio swallowed, trying not to tremble, trying to back up and not be seen. This didn’t happen this couldn’t happen everythin–It wasn’t his fault, he didn’t do it? Brendin had been nothing but kind to him, and he could control his fire so well, how–Alessio backed a couple steps, unable to force his body into any action.
    “Gavin Thunderfoot,” The dragon rumbled, causing Alessio to look up. “Halt.”

@kimlikesart
    @crazywriter  @skylarynn @joelle-stone

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel’s chest ached as he stared at Brendin, then looked to Alessio.

Alessio backed away, almost seeming to hide. He swallowed hard, staring at Brendin with fear in his eyes.

“Alessio.” Nithel turned, staring at his friend’s eyes. Nithel didn’t want to step away from Brendin and Jericho, just in case he could help. But he didn’t want Alessio to run. I may never find you. And please don’t go to that mirror. I should smash it. Noy. Nithel realized too many thoughts were going through his mind, and he shut his eyes. Noy.

“Gavin Thunderfoot,” The dragon rumbled. The giant lizard had moved off into the library, by a window. “Halt.”

Nithel glanced that way, forehead wrinkled, and just so tired. The dragon would take care of it… whatever it was. Nithel looked back to Alessio, his eyes asking questions, Can I help you? No, things are not alright. But… how can I help you? The corners of his eyes, and his forehead, were wrinkled with problems. But he still cared, kindness and concern in his eyes.

@joelle-stone
    @skylarynn @this-is-not-an-alien @crazywriter

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Alessio.” Nithel looked at him, concern and worry in his eyes. This isn’t right, this had to be his fault like when–he was so fake he never should’ve let them take him in, he hasn’t even told them…He couldn’t let them help, he’d only put them in danger there had to be a better way.
    His frie–his friend shut his eyes for a second, overwhelmed. Alessio almost made a move to comfort him but he froze, he was so scared he’d only make it worse. How could he have done this, they didn’t know anything about him. He’d thought it would work this time he still hadn’t convinced himself it wasn’t a dream.
    The dragon rumbled at some newcomer. Alessio backed another step, not sure how to fix this or get away from it. For everything he can remember running was always the safest option, the best option. He can’t help he can’t do anything to help he’ll only make it worse he’s cursed. Nithel looked exhausted, Alessio didn’t want to hurt him, he didn’t want anything bad to happen because of him.
    Questions were in Nithel’s eyes, there was so much kindness in him it terrified Alessio. It seemed to him he must’ve manipulated this like the wizard manipulated him, like so many people had manipulated him for emotional support for things they knew were wrong. I’m sorry, He couldn’t do this. I’m so sorry…
    I’m a monster
    He turned and ran and he didn’t stop running after he made it out of the room. A couple sparks dashed through the air behind him unbidden, whipping around as if grasping for the sky. Two years running, Alessio was good for nothing else.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Alessio pivoted and ran.

Nithel let out the smallest growl, glancing back to Jericho and Brendan. But he was darting after Alessio. We can’t get separated. No. Please. 

He ran, trying to grab Alessio at first. But then sparks started to flicker around the youth, and Nithel was hesitant. They darted through a door, down a hall. More flames. He couldn’t lose him. Nithel ran a few yards behind, not planning to give up. He had promised.

“Alessio.” Nithel gasped, chest burning.

Please stop. 

@joelle-stone
    @skylarynn @this-is-not-an-alien @crazywriter

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Kimmi.

Jominkreesa

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

Gavin stopped dead in his tracks when he heard his own name being uttered by a dark voice, its words echoing off cold stone walls, that had stood for millenia.

“Gavin Thunderfoot. Halt.”

For a moment Gavin considered doing just that, but deep inside him was a feeling that urged him to run. So without further ado, he started sprinting through the maze that was the tunnels. Being careful to tread as soft as he could, while still running, he took a right, then a left, another right, right, straight for a while, then a left. He slipped inside a room nearby, who’s door had rotted off, and found himself in what looked like an old kitchen. There was pots, pans, and old food, which made the growl in thunders belly even worse.

He decided to keep running this maze till he had at least found a room that was halfway habitable. He wanted to find other people though, and he hoped he would soon. He stepped back into the hall, and was about to take off when he heard a very human voice say, “Alessio!”

Gavin was exhilarated that he wasnt the only human down here, but knew he also needed to be wary. So he slowly made his way to voices, in hopes of finding help.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 312 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest