fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 957 total)
  • Author
    Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

@kimlikesart

Hello Kimmi! It’s lovely to meet you 🙂 (cool name by the way!) And I’m very happy you like my profile pic! Red roses are very special to me, so they have sort have become my signature lol.

Does that make sense? Do you have any questions?

Makes a lot of sense! Thanks for sending on the rules, I think I understand this thing better now. I will definitely do my best to read over some of the earlier messages. I’m not used to chat rooms like this, so it’s bit strange for me. I think my problem would be figuring out where to start, how I should introduce my character and put her in the castle.

Which character of yours do you think you’ll bring in? What is their personality like? What do they look like? Where do they come from?

So I’m thinking of putting my WIP protagonist in first, but I also have a villain-ish character that I want to put in at some point, just because I love him to bits XD. Anyways my protagonist is called Mayra, she’s a 17 year old criminal working for a local mobster. She lives in San Francisco in a dystopian world that’s ruled by a corrupt military faction, in a time where literally every single person has lost any sort of morality and is switched to survival mode. Her journey is about redeeming herself and finding that she is not worthless at all.

Personality: Selfish, cold, tough, secretive, lonely, detached, introverted, honest, unhappy, suspicious, uncaring, wants to be competent. Fears pain and emotions so she takes pills, also fears being useless or incapable because then bad things would happen to her. She had a truamatic childhood and she is an abusive relationship with an older man, so she suffers from PTSD and ASPD (anti-social personality disorder), which means she only ever thinks about her own survival and what will benefit her personally, and has a hard time feeling empathy for others. She also has a condition called expressive aphasia meaning she has difficulty getting words out, so she speaks in short sentences and omits words a lot (partially inspired by my own speech difficulties in childhood). She is definitely not a good person, but on the inside she thinks she is utterly worthless and she has only ever brought suffering to others.

Abilities: She is very good at spying, she can slip into any room and no one will notice her. She has been trained to retrieve info from people without killing them. She is insanely good at noticing small details, she can find things that others can’t see and she has an OCD with numbers, meaning that she can count really well and can give exact numbers of things. She knows how to use knives against opponents, often plays dirty. She’s an insanely good singer, part of her job is to entertain her bosses guests at his club. Her voice also has the ability to push back dark magic. After saving a stranger’s life, she is gifted with the ability to create psionic energy and can use it for telekinesis.

Appearance: Deep wine-coloured red hair which she gains after she makes a pretty momentous decision. Two different coloured eyes, one green-blue, the other dark brown. Old burn scar tissue covering the right side of her face, stretches down her neck and some of her shoulder giving her a tough appearance.

Clothes: She wears dark clothes, good for spying, usually skinny pants and a hoodie or parka jacket, and combat boots. Wears a small golden medallion around her neck with a symbol from a religion long forgotten by humans.

Height: Kind of small, like five foot something.

Build: She’s sort of in between, not skinny but not overweight, she’s quite curvy and well-fed looking.

Likes: Reading, movies, dogs, staring at stars and constellations, dreaming about flying, singing, Irish ballads, her medallion, churches, coffee.

Hates: Talking, most people, the authoritarian military faction running her country, her boss, tea, the sea, people who try to get her to open up, kids, her old picture book.

Biggest motivation: Getting out of the country and going to Argentina, away from starvation and anarchy and her problems.

She’s partially inspired by Wanda Maximoff from the MCU XD

It would be great if you could join!

I would love to join this character castle, it looks so much fun!

Welcome again! How are you doing today Neasa?

Thank you for welcoming me! And I’m doing very well today thank you so much for asking 🙂 looking forward to doing more writing and finally getting my WIP finished (at some point haha) and I’m looking forward to meeting more Story Embers members! And how are you Kimmi?

@this-is-not-an-alien

Helloooooo great to be here XD

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Neasa.
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

It was massive, three feet wide, and seven feet long, and it should have terrified any mortal man. But Gavin Thunderfooot, well…he ran away screaming.

LOL that was awesome!!!

@joelle-stone
    *actually looks up flabbergastion; is flabbergasted XD* Wow…
    Oh I never asked, what was your shortstory about?

Ooh red roses are my favorite flower, and color! <3

My character has PTSD too and avoidant personality disorder so he’ll probably recognize it, he came from a very abusive royal family and he’s also seventeen. It should be very interesting seeing Mayra and him interact especially how differently they seem to have responded to the trauma; Alessio was always a very empathetic character and he’s prone to getting into more abusive situations because of it, he’s also pretty suicidal and won’t acknowledge his own needs.
    …What’s MCU? Who’s Wanda Maximoff?
    I’ve never heard of expressive aphasia before, can you tell me more?

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Neasa

@this-is-not-an-alien

Ooh red roses are my favorite flower, and color! <3

They‘re wonderful aren‘t they?!🌹😍

My character has PTSD too and avoidant personality disorder so he’ll probably recognize it, he came from a very abusive royal family and he’s also seventeen. It should be very interesting seeing Mayra and him interact especially how differently they seem to have responded to the trauma; Alessio was always a very empathetic character and he’s prone to getting into more abusive situations because of it, he’s also pretty suicidal and won’t acknowledge his own needs.

Aww sounds like Alessio needs a hug🙁 Yes it would be sooo interesting if we put them in a scene together, wouldn’t it! Man I have never tried that out before, but I would love to see how these two similar but vastly different characters would interact!!🤩 I think it would be great fun! I think they would have the mental wellbeing crisis in common – Mayra too keeps falling into abusive situations the more she slips into darkness and ends up regarding herself as so bad and worthless that when she is given the opportunity, she decides to choose to end her own life.  She is saved at the last minute of course. She would never admit out loud that she needs help, so thats something she slowly has to learn.

What’s MCU? Who’s Wanda Maximoff?

MCU is the Marvel Cinematic Universe so like the Avengers. Wanda Maximoff aka Scarlet Witch is this girleen right here XD. She is one of my fav superheroes ever, her powers are very cool 😎

I’ve never heard of expressive aphasia before, can you tell me more?

Thanks for asking, of course I’ll tell you. I had something quite similar, its basically a condition affecting the speech, a person with this condition can understand what others say but they are unable to form full sentences themselves and have a hard time coming up with vocabulary. Because she cannot speak very well, Mayra often resorts to sign language and even uses her silence to intimidate people. Like I said, she’s very complicated 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Neasa.
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Aww sounds like Alessio needs a hug

He would probably agree. 😂

Yes it would be sooo interesting if we put them in a scene together, wouldn’t it! Man I have never tried that out before, but I would love to see how these two similar but vastly different characters would interact!! I think it would be great fun! I think they would have the mental wellbeing crisis in common – Mayra too keeps falling into abusive situations the more she slips into darkness and ends up regarding herself as so bad and worthless that when she is given the opportunity, she decides to choose to end her own life.  She is saved at the last minute of course. She would never admit out loud that she needs help, so thats something she slowly has to learn.

Oh yeah! It’ll be really interesting and I can’t wait to see how that works out. Yeah my character has tried that too, he was saved by the villain which doesn’t really help after that whole death and betrayal thing between them.

MCU is the Marvel Cinematic Universe so like the Avengers. Wanda Maximoff aka Scarlet Witch is this girleen right here XD. She is one of my fav superheroes ever, her powers are very cool

Ohhhhhhhh.
    Literally the only thing I know about Scarlet Witch is she was shipped with a robot somewhere in there XD.
    Her powers are…lasers? (That’s an incredibly cool looking pic btw)

Thanks for asking, of course I’ll tell you. I had something quite similar, its basically a condition affecting the speech, a person with this condition can understand what others say but they are unable to form full sentences themselves and have a hard time coming up with vocabulary. Because she cannot speak very well, Mayra often resorts to sign language and even uses her silence to intimidate people. Like I said, she’s very complicated

Oh ok! Is it more a dissociative mutism or a speech impediment? I mean, is it an anxiety/depression/trauma response or a simple condition? Does it have triggers? How severe does it have to be to be diagnosed as expressive aphasia rather than say social anxiety or something?
    Silence can be quite intimidating, especially when you can tell that person is intense. She sounds like she’s really adapted to her condition and that should be very interesting to see! Thanks for answering! 🙂

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Neasa

@this-is-not-an-alien

Hi Cathy, sorry it took ages for me to write back 🙂

Oh yeah! It’ll be really interesting and I can’t wait to see how that works out. Yeah my character has tried that too, he was saved by the villain which doesn’t really help after that whole death and betrayal thing between them.

Oh wow that’s so interesting! I actually think that’s quite exciting that the villain is the one who saves his life! Yess now I really want our characters to meet and interact 🙂

Ohhhhhhhh.
    Literally the only thing I know about Scarlet Witch is she was shipped with a robot somewhere in there XD.
    Her powers are…lasers? (That’s an incredibly cool looking pic btw)

Yeah she is shipped with a robot its not weird at all…… She can create psionic energy with her mind and use it to do basically anything. She’s definitely my favourite superhero (and I agree, that’s a great photo of her XD).

Oh ok! Is it more a dissociative mutism or a speech impediment? I mean, is it an anxiety/depression/trauma response or a simple condition? Does it have triggers? How severe does it have to be to be diagnosed as expressive aphasia rather than say social anxiety or something?

Its a simple speech condition really, it can affect anyone of any ages. The most common cause of this is strokes, but head injuries, brain tumours, infections and others can also cause it. In order for it to be diagnosed, doctors would have to scan your brain in order to look for the physical damage, so if there is brain truama, then it couldn’t be social anxiety. This is the definition from the National Aphasia Association https://www.aphasia.org/aphasia-faqs/

Aphasia is an acquired communication disorder that impairs a person’s ability to process language, but does not affect intelligence. Aphasia impairs the ability to speak and understand others, and most people with aphasia experience difficulty reading and writing.  The diagnosis of aphasia does NOT imply a person has a mental illness or impairment in intelligence.

My character Mayra basically was almost murdered as an infant, so it left her with this speech impediment. I hope my explanation was clear enough? I’m still learning about aphasia myself, but if you have any other questions, you can ask me 🙂

Silence can be quite intimidating, especially when you can tell that person is intense. She sounds like she’s really adapted to her condition and that should be very interesting to see! Thanks for answering!

I’m glad you think so! And you’re very welcome! 🙂

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Ack, hi again! Lol I’m late too XD

Oh wow that’s so interesting! I actually think that’s quite exciting that the villain is the one who saves his life! Yess now I really want our characters to meet and interact

Well, it wasn’t an act of mercy but it certainly ramped up the conflict of interest there XD. I can’t wait for somebody to notice Mayra once they stop panicking lol! I am dying for this character interaction!

Yeah she is shipped with a robot its not weird at all…… She can create psionic energy with her mind and use it to do basically anything. She’s definitely my favourite superhero (and I agree, that’s a great photo of her XD).

Oh cool! I think…(man, that must take real skill to not make that ship weird, now I’m rather interested XD)

Its a simple speech condition really, it can affect anyone of any ages. The most common cause of this is strokes, but head injuries, brain tumours, infections and others can also cause it. In order for it to be diagnosed, doctors would have to scan your brain in order to look for the physical damage, so if there is brain truama, then it couldn’t be social anxiety. This is the definition from the National Aphasia Association https://www.aphasia.org/aphasia-faqs/

Oh, ok! I learned so many new things from that, thanks!
    Poor Mayra, (this character castle gonna be so awesome! 😈😈)

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@this-is-not-an-alien,

[read this writer geeked out on sign language one time and looked it up cos wouldn’t that make conversations in a crowded area easier!?!]

Heh, I took ASL last year for school! I’m still not very good, but I can get by. 😉 (And yes it certainly would!! It’s really helpful when you’re eating and you don’t want to talk with your mouth full. XD) Unfortunate side-effect to learning ASL: you talk with your hands. A LOT. XD

"For love is strong as death." -God

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@skylarynn,

If y’all wanna know how/why Bren came back so quickly, I’m happy to share!

Ooh! *rubs hands together* Share away!

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

@joelle-stone

I never took an official class, but my sister was very interested in ASL at one point in time so I learned a fair bit (I can sign Jesus Loves Me) but not enough to be conversational.  Most of the time she and I use it to talk across a room when we don’t want to gain attention or have other people understand.  If I’m painfully bored I’ll spell my thoughts out in the ASL alphabet until either I’m no longer bored or my hand cramps 🙂 .

Speaking of, funny story: I’m a very good test taker, especially if it is a subject like the humanities where math is not involved (math is my kryptonite).  I’m not sure why I’m good with tests, but I tend to go through them quickly and thoroughly and finish early; just how it works.
    So my sophomore year of high school I was taking the final exam for my American History I class.  The exam was 80 multiple choice questions; students were given 3 hours to take it, with two 5 minute breaks between hours.
    I start on the test and I find it rather easy.  The questions don’t take much to answer and I’m confident in my answers.  I finish the test and I go over my answers, double checking that my booklet matches my answer sheet and that I selected the correct answers I intended to.  When I finish checking, I raise my hand and the teacher comes over.  He initially thought I had a question on one of the problems, but he quickly understood I’d finished and he took my test away.
    That was the moment I realized we hadn’t had any breaks by that point.  So I looked at the clock.
    It had only been twenty minutes.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@skylarynn,

Most of the time she and I use it to talk across a room when we don’t want to gain attention or have other people understand.

Ha, my sister and I do the same thing!

If I’m painfully bored I’ll spell my thoughts out in the ASL alphabet until either I’m no longer bored or my hand cramps 🙂 .

Honestly, the alphabet is the best thing I can sign. XD

Speaking of, funny story: [insert story]

Don’t you hate it when that happens?! Then you have to kill lots more time while everyone else finishes up. Lucky me, I’m homeschooled, so I mostly get to do stuff on my own time. But I used to have to take tests in a nearby city with a bunch of other kids, and it was SO ANNOYING when I’d finish early. 😛

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Woah… how did that emoji get so big? XD

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

@joelle-stone

Share away!

I guess you posted that while I was typing…sorry.

So in Haven (the nation/world Brendin is from) every human generally has a soul, which is formed of several components; personality, memories, spark (the part that gives you life), etc.  When someone suffers mental or emotional trauma (like Alessio’s C-PTSD), this also translates as an injury to the soul; vice versa when someone suffers an injury to the soul, it can result in psychological trauma of some form.

That dark figure Brendin saw in the mirror was Ingor.  Ingor is something of a walking spoiler for the story so I won’t say too much, but I will say Ingor has a kind of magic to manipulate and affect souls.  And Ingor uses this ability to create mæres.  A mære is technically someone whose soul is more tightly bound to their body than the normal person.  Ingor would create mære servants by freeing or loosening a person’s soul from their body, binding the soul to him so that he could subjugate it, and then binding the soul back to its body.

For Brendin, this entailed not only getting injured and kidnapped (Ingor wanted him because he possesses a powerful fire syne), but also having his soul torn out of his body.  As one might imagine this was excruciating.  While turning Bren into a mære, Ingor also damaged the part of his soul involved with memories, essentially giving Bren amnesia so he would be a better servant.

Also the fact that a mære’s soul is so tightly bound to their body means that it takes a lot more for it to vacate.  And what that in turn means is that Brendin can take a mortal or even lethal injury like a stab through the stomach and still walk it off because his soul just won’t leave his body.  The tighter bond also means he heals faster and is stronger and faster than he was before he was turned into a mære.

Hope that was easy to follow…

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@skylarynn,

Wow, that’s really complex and unique! I’m now intensely interested in your book. 😀

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

@joelle-stone

Yeah, souls are really important to the stories involving Haven.  And Brendin has a very long, complicated and messy character arc involving trying to reconcile his past as a mære under Ingor with who he was before and who he is now (which he really is not at all sure of).  I as the author find it kinda heartbreaking to see him go from a paragon Captain America/Steve Rogers type to someone as distraught, guilt-ridden and lost as the Winter Soldier/Bucky Barnes.

I wrote a scene I’d be happy to share if y’all are interested.  Brendin was kidnapped by Ingor’s mæres while he was away at the University; his mother assumed he was dead or worse.  Eventually he got away from Ingor (very similarly to the end of Captain America: The Winter Soldier with how that movie ends for Bucky) and the scene in question is when he finally reunites with the mother he no longer remembers.
    Lemme know if you would like to read that.

@joelle-stone
    @this-is-not-an-alien @kimlikesart

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@skylarynn,

Lemme know if you would like to read that.

How do I put this? YES!

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 957 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest