fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,471 through 1,485 (of 2,830 total)
  • Author
    Handmaiden
    @mamaauthoress

@rose-colored-fancy

Your character sounds awesome! I hope he gets along with the others XD (Some conflict is fun though!)

Ah yes, let’s hope Rúan behaves himself. 😆

We have no less than three edgy assassins or ex-assassins, a supersoldier, a ninja, a sci-fi girl, a literal biblical angel, two brothers who are total opposites, a guy who rides a six-legged camel and Basil.

Oooo, sounds like a train Rúan would love to jump on!

Niarok (Denali’s): 6’1 with shoulder-length black hair and blue eyes. He’s a doctor and has a huge heart despite his extremely traumatized past. He’s also scary discerning. If someone is feeling an emotion, he will almost always pick up on it and respond in kind. 20 years old. He’s the unofficial dad of the group. It just happened XD

Mmm Rúan’s probably going to be a little scared of him. He’s uneasy of doctors (though he doesn’t like to admit it), and is overwhelmed when someone singles out his feelings. 😆

Aydin (Mine): His narration is kinda chaos, a combination of vague and out of context, so most people don’t know much about him yet (*evil laugh*) He has longish brown hair and muddy greenish-brown eyes, he’s 5’10” and 19. He has PTSD, so he gets nightmares, hallucinations, flashbacks, and hypervigelance, besides being really suspicious. He’s had a very traumatic past as you can guess, and his right hand is paralyzed, although no one really knows that yet.

Ooooo interesting … I once roleplayed with someone who had a character with PTSD and was like this.

Yila (also Denali’s): 5’7 with waist-length black hair and red highlights. Icy blue eyes. She’s basically a ninja and scary good at fighting. She hates people, but if a person manages to earn her trust, she turns into their bodyguard. She’s Niarok’s sister. 17 years old.

I like her already.

Quin ( @emily-waldorf ‘s): Short, about 5 feet, sandy brown hair. Missing his left leg below the knee. He keeps losing his crutches too and it’s very sad… He’s pretty shy and doesn’t like it when people single him out as different. He’s so sweet though.

Ahwww … *wants to hug him*

Qatar (also Emily’s): Tall, black hair, stern everything. He’s Quin’s older (half) brother and tends to be pretty quiet with some anger issues. (lots of anger issues.)

Cool, he sounds like one of my characters! This should be most interesting.

And Chet, ( @wingiby-iggiby ‘s) who we don’t… actually know that well. He just arrived with his camcal, Brand, a camel with six legs. (Brooke, serious question… is it an insect? XD) He’s really quiet and has some dark backstory.

Mysterious camel rider … got it.

Lorcan ( @irishredflowercrown ‘s): He’s a tall man with a handsome scarred face. Also an assassin. Yila has a crush on him and it’s mutual.  He’s wearing a kinda steampunk coat. He’s actually kind, but he hides it beneath a hard exterior.

Ooooo we got some chemistry here … I like it.

Klein ( @rusted-knight ’s): Futuristic-military dude who always wears armor. We don’t know a whole lot about him save that he’s usually relying on his training and he’s also very dangerous, but he’s not as agressive as some of the others.

I’d like to see this guy in action!

Leytera (alsoo Denali’s.): 5’3, mid-length curly black hair and deep brown eyes. She’s quiet, introverted, and compassionate and bites her lip when she’s nervous. She’s from a technologically advanced society. 17 years old.

Haha, she sounds so much like me that I thought you were calling me out. 😆

Misu (Calidris’): An angel. In his human form, Misu is tall and Asian with black hair. He’s apparently currently wearing a blue coat, cream turtleneck, and cream trousers. He’s an absolute sweetheart, an angel both in reality and personality.

Ahwww I love him already.

Basil (Also Calidris’): He’s tall with curly black hair. Very health conscious to the point of being paranoid about everything. He just got introduced so we don’t know a whole lot about him. All the characters have been mentally roasting him but nobody’s been rude to his face XD (He’s actually sweet, he’s just disoriented and accidentally annoying.)

*makes a mental note to have Rúan talk to him because they’re so different*

Thank you for introducing them to me! I’m so happy to be here and joining this!
    When do I jump in?

Anxious gremlin coming through

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mamaauthoress

Mmm Rúan’s probably going to be a little scared of him. He’s uneasy of doctors (though he doesn’t like to admit it), and is overwhelmed when someone singles out his feelings.

That’ll be cool! Though even Aydin hasn’t managed to be scared of Niarok longer than a few minutes. Niarok is really empathetic, I bet you’ll like him 🙂

Thank you for introducing them to me! I’m so happy to be here and joining this!
    When do I jump in?

Goodness, however you like. So far, I’ve had my characters in by a. Letting them stumble into a cave/tunnel b. They found a portal, named it Hector, and wandered in the void for a while. (I think they insulted the void too a couple times but that’s neither here nor there) and I dropped Aydin in by giving him a nightmare and just making him wake up here.

Basically, no way is too crazy XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@mamaauthoress

HEY A NEW PERSON!!!!!! *bowls you over with massive hug* WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!! Ooooh, your character sounds so cool I can’t wait to meet him!!!!!!

Yeah, Niarok will have a mighty fun time trying to keep Ruan from being scared of him. XD I mean, I’m also scared of doctors and kind of hate them, but I would do anything to live somewhere where Niarok is real and not just a character taunting me from inside my head, so hopefully Ruan can feel the same way eventually…

"The darkness is seldom complete, and even when it is, the pinprick of light is not long in coming."

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@mamaauthoress

Ruan [annnd, SE doesn’t let me make the stress mark like Microsoft Word does…arrrgghh] sounds so cool! I’m excited to meet him. Did you make up the name or is it real, and could you give me a phonetic pronunciation? (If it’s Irish I’m sunk…IDK what makes that language tick, lol)

Lots of people want to hug Quin…except his brother and his girlfriend, lol. Qatar is going around ostracizing people…

I just made my characters appear. Hey presto! no explanation. Join whenever/however you want.

Also, I love Ruan’s quote.

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Handmaiden
    @mamaauthoress

@rose-colored-fancy

Goodness, however you like. So far, I’ve had my characters in by a. Letting them stumble into a cave/tunnel b. They found a portal, named it Hector, and wandered in the void for a while. (I think they insulted the void too a couple times but that’s neither here nor there) and I dropped Aydin in by giving him a nightmare and just making him wake up here.

Basically, no way is too crazy XD

Okay, sounds good!

@denali-christianson

Yeah, Niarok will have a mighty fun time trying to keep Ruan from being scared of him. XD I mean, I’m also scared of doctors and kind of hate them, but I would do anything to live somewhere where Niarok is real and not just a character taunting me from inside my head, so hopefully Ruan can feel the same way eventually…

Haha, okay. 😆

Also, I love Ruan’s quote.

Thank you!

@emily-waldorf

Ruan [annnd, SE doesn’t let me make the stress mark like Microsoft Word does…arrrgghh] sounds so cool! I’m excited to meet him. Did you make up the name or is it real, and could you give me a phonetic pronunciation? (If it’s Irish I’m sunk…IDK what makes that language tick, lol)

I made up the name (I hope)!
    It’s kind of hard to explain, but you pronounce it like “roo-UHN.” You slightly roll the “r”, too.

______

“Hello?” comes a weak voice from the mouth of the cave. “Is … anyone there?”

A young man, no older that 20, stumbled into the cave, his leg useless and bleeding like mad.

(Was that okay?)

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Niarok (part 1)

Niarok stood before the fire, cloak wrapped tightly around his shoulders and his hand stretched over the flames.

It was somehow, against all odds, getting colder.

That was not good.

Qatar was glaring straight into the fire, Lorcan was standing off to the side, within reach of the flames.

Leytera and Quin were perched on a rock behind Qatar, and Misu and Basil had moved a little closer to the fire, although Basil looked extremely uncomfortable near all these people who must have been contagious.

Niarok smirked slightly.

He would develop the emotional immunity to stand it sooner or later.

Yila had roused from her sleep when Chet entered, and she was drinking heavily from her canteen, snuggling as close to the fire as she could without getting burnt to a crisp.

Niarok didn’t blame her.

Ayden still spoke with Chet, rubbing the six-legged beast’s forehead gently. It was the most relaxed Niarok had ever seen him, and he felt relief flow within his chest. The animal did more for Ayden than Niarok ever could.

A moment later, Chet walked towards the fire, his eyes displaying a great deal of distrust and uncertainty about the group of young warriors surrounding the flames.

Ayden’s eyes were suddenly focused on some distant point, fear distinct on his white face. Niarok’s brow furrowed. What had prompted that?

Ayden was trembling, leaning against the wall like he was going to collapse at any moment. His breathing had sped up, and Niarok saw the possibility of a panic attack coming on.

He started to step towards Ayden, then thought better of it for a moment, not wanting to draw any extra attention to the man who would probably die of embarrassment and shame the second he came back to reality.

Then he saw how everyone was already staring, and he bounded around the fire, catching Ayden by the arm just as he almost fell down.

“Ayden, are you alright?” he asked, trying hard to keep his own faculties together.

His father lying dead in a pool of blood.
    The assassin standing a few feet away, his eyes trained desperately on Niarok.
    Yila’s mad charge, how she’d attacked him.
    There had been two bodies.
    Niarok hadn’t been able to save him, and he collapsed to the ground, trembling harder than he ever had before. It had happened over and over and-

Niarok shook the memory away. There was nothing he could do about that now. Ayden didn’t need Niarok to fall apart in front of him while he himself was falling apart.

Ayden shook Niarok’s hand off, stumbling away from him. He pressed his back against the wall hard, trembling as his eyes came back into focus.

He glanced around frantically, his eyes lighting on Niarok for a moment before he seemed to crawl into a hole of shame.

Everyone was staring.

Niarok wanted to scream at them.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Ayden whimpered, pulling deep into his cloak, trying to hide from all the stares.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know– Sometimes that happens, I–” Ayden’s voice cracked and broke off, and he hurried back into the shadows of the back of the cave.

Peoples’ eyes followed him.

Niarok glared at them.

“Hey!” he snapped. “Give him space.”

Many of the people went back to staring at the fire, too cold to care much that Ayden had had a panic attack and usually patient Niarok had just yelled at them.

But Yila stared at him in surprise, and Niarok could tell she was working up a stream of words to shout at him.

He walked back around the fire and sat down next to her.

“Just be quiet about it,” he said.

Yila rolled her eyes and elbowed him, her eyes colder than they usually were.

Niarok looked at her, waiting.

She drew in a deep breath like she was going to say something, but then stopped, her breath turning shaky.

Tears gathered at the corners of her eyes, and Niarok could see her thoughts scurrying back to the moment that had ruined her.

She scooted closer to Niarok, silently asking for a hug because she was too embarrassed to admit her weakness aloud. He pulled her trembling body close.

I don’t think I can deal with two flashbacks in a row.

But he didn’t care.

“He killed our father,” she whispered, her voice shaking painfully.

She buried her head on his shoulder, and Niarok pulled her closer, wishing above all that he could convince her it hadn’t been her fault.

“And I killed him,” she added quietly.

Niarok couldn’t help the shock that lifted the hair on the back of his neck.

That was the first time – ever – that he had heard Yila admit remorse to killing someone. He’d known it was in there, somewhere deep in the middle of her broken heart, but she’d never given it voice.

He didn’t know what to say. For the first time, he didn’t know how to comfort his sister.

But she seemed to understand and stayed silent, understanding that her brother was doing the best he possibly could.

A few moments later she pulled away from him, wiped her eyes, and curled up in her blanket.

“Thank you,” she whispered, too quietly for anyone but Niarok to hear.

He nodded and stared silently into the flames, lost in memories. They all led back to the man who had killed his father. He looked so much like Ayden, but there was one difference.

Ayden’s eyes, though muddy and often troubled, still carried a spark of life.

The assassin’s eyes had been deader than the darkest night in the deadlands.

And he had killed without remorse, and died without remorse.

Bitter anger roiled in Niarok’s heart, but he shoved it away.

I’ve forgiven him. He’s dead. You couldn’t get revenge even if you tried.

The anger dissipated, but Niarok knew it would be back.

It always came back.

"The darkness is seldom complete, and even when it is, the pinprick of light is not long in coming."

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@mamaauthoress

that made perfect sense and was close to how I was saying it anyway. 🙂

That was perfect, but…but…DON’T LEAVE US THERE!!!!!!!!! (Jk, Jk, that was an awesome way to start.)

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@mamaauthoress

LOVE IT!!!!! Getting started the hard way… XD

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Niarok (part 2)

Niarok took a sip of water from his canteen, relieved to feel it was still about halfway full. The little river of water had frozen, and there was no way he would be getting any other fresh water anytime soon.

Ayden still hadn’t returned from the shadows, Yila was staring distantly into the fire like she wanted nothing more than to crumble into dust and disappear, and Chet Gabe was standing with his back to the entrance, soaking in the warmth of the fire and glancing around suspiciously.

Concern for Ayden worked its way through Niarok’s exhausted haze, and he forced himself to a standing position.

One of these days he was going to have to sleep, but right now there was business.

As he turned towards the back of the cave, he heard something that sounded like a voice.

He spun and stared, just in time to hear the words, “Hello? Is… anyone there?”

His senses kicked into hyperdrive as a man, no older than twenty, appeared in the entrance of the cave. He was covered in snow and weak, but Niarok was far more concerned about the huge flow of blood pouring out his leg.

This was not a good situation to be in.

Niarok ran through the list of blood-clotting herbs he still carried with him, relieved to remember that he still had gorshwood in abundance.

He stood and rushed to the entrance, catching the man just before he fell to the ground.

@mamaauthoress

I don’t know Ruan’s character well enough to know how he’s going to react to Niarok trying to help him, so you take it from here! 🙂

Handmaiden
    @mamaauthoress

(Ahhhh sorry guys! I had to go AFK for a bit — next time I’ll let you know)

Rúan sucked in a breath through his teeth, falling against someone unknown.

“Water …” he mumbled, trying to blink away the fuzz collecting around his vision.

(Sorryyy, I’m going to step away for a bit to do math, then I’ll come back)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Handmaiden.

Handmaiden
    @mamaauthoress

(all right, I’m back)

“Please,” Rúan panted, trying hard not to cry out in pain as his mangled leg throbbed. “Water …”

@rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

@emily-waldorf

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Handmaiden.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mamaauthoress

That’s an awesome start! Just one comment that might make it easier 🙂

Because this rp is meant to develop characters, we tend to write more in the form of fragmented fiction (Just write as if you’re writing a novel, but cut off at a tension point, like when something big happened or your character asked a question.) So, it tends to be in longer form than most RP’s, because we usually don’t have the time to post more than once or twice a day. (And we’re very seldom online at the same time)

So, go wild with introspection, philosophical rants, and all the slow, deep character work you can’t use in your novel because it gets tedious XD And weird formats, I’ve done that a lot. I’ve written pieces from second person POV, crossed out sentences, etc etc. You can pretty much go wild because it isn’t ‘serious’ writing 🙂

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

Poor Niarok, he’s working so hard to keep all the idiots alive 😭 I love him so much.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@mamaauthoress

*rubs hands together in anticipation*

Finally! I haven’t gotten to write this side of Niarok since first joining this castle… XD

Also, what kind of wound is this? Puncture, like from teeth? Or is it a cut from a blade? etc.

Niarok

Niarok caught the weak man as he fell. The man wheezed, clearly in pain and bordering on delirium.

“Water…” he whispered. “Please. Water…” He squeezed his eyes shut, gritting his teeth around a cry of pain that never made it out.

Niarok threw the man’s arm over his shoulder and half-supported, half-carried him to Niarok and Yila’s spot beside the fire.

He set the man down, desperately concerned about the bleeding on the man’s leg.

I better not have to amputate. I don’t have the supplies or the emotional strength for that right now.

Instead, he reached down and pulled out his canteen, holding it to the man’s lips.

The man tried to guzzle the water, but Niarok forced him to take small sips so he wouldn’t choke or vomit.

Water was precious.

“Can I look at your leg?” he asked, knowing he would do it no matter what the man said.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Denali Christianson. Reason: LOLLLLLLL It said so he WOULD choke or vomit!!!!! I hate autocorrect

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

Poor Niarok, he’s working so hard to keep all the idiots alive   I love him so much.

😂😂😂😂😂 I know right??? I love him tooooooo I’m also loving his chemistry with Ayden. So amazing…

But he’s literally like dying inside and I feel so bad for him!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,471 through 1,485 (of 2,830 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest