fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 1,493 total)
  • Author
    Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@this-is-not-an-alien

NOOOOOO WHY YOU DO DIS TO MEEEEEEEE

;D

"The light perceives the very heart of the darkness." -Haldir

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Wow, y’all were busy!

@irishcelticredflowercrown

Aww, Lorcan is finally starting to soften a little! That was so cute!

@this-is-not-an-alien

Lol don’t worry, they’ll live! (Probably!) *checks pillowcase*
    Thanks! (I love how your princess was so annoying our resident assassin Lorcan nearly cried for joy when she disappears LOL! That was the funniest thing to read

LOL, that’s my girl XD Her main personality trait is annoying the living daylights out of everyone she comes in contact with, especially when she doesn’t like them XD “It’s a beautiful day in the castle and you are a horrible princess” XD

“Oh…ya’know just, heheh…hanging around…”
    “Very responsible.”
    “Don’t worry, I…think I got the hang of it…”
    If he feels alright enough to make horrible puns he’ll be just fine.

THAT WAS HILARIOUS!!! Even if it isn’t actually Ehud that’s the most in-character thing ever!

LOL, did you borrow my brain?? I wrote a very similar scenario just a couple days ago where Liorah’s first reaction to almost dying was making a horrible pun XD

Ehud🤝 Liorah

Making terrible puns while actively dying. XD

*Reads the ending*

*Screams*

Okay, THAT’S IT!! Stop torturing my babies! Why can’t they just be happy?? 😭😭 How dare it be another shapeshifter!!!??

(I’m way too invested in this little side-plot thingy XD)

@denali-christianson

LOL, Yila’s reaction was adorable! Funnily enough, that’s basically how my MC reacted when she fell in love XD “Not this, dangit! Not now! *hits feelings into the corner with a broom*”

Oh, Sahar is eighteen and Acyn is seventeen, so they’re about the same age as your characters!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Acyn

There were too many unscientific things in this castle and I didn’t like any of them.

Sahar was using one of her greatest strengths to maximum capacity. Not panicking. Sahar never panicked, and never despaired. When she was confident, she was light-hearted, and she was always light-hearted.

Unlike Liorah, who usually ran through the entire spectrum of human emotion every five minutes and could make everyone around her feel it too if she pleased.

The new boy and Lorcan ignored my reply that some people just naturally bled when they were healthy, didn’t Lorcan know that?

Why did everyone insist on stupid questions? Obviously, they were hurt.

The boy lowered the girl to the ground until she was teetering on her own two feet, albeit still uncertain and supported. Her arm had swollen badly. She blinked at Lorcan in stupefied admiration. Oh, bother. She was definitely delirious.

Sahar noticed too and giggled. The boy was obviously struggling to keep the girl upright, and Sahar gently put an arm around her waist, careful not to hurt her any further.

“Nice to see you, I’m Sahar. We’ll be just fine,” she said, cheerily. She let the girl lean on her more, taking as much strain off the boy as she could. Despite the fact that the other girl was much taller, Sahar was far stronger than she looked and determined to help.

The boy was making himself generally annoying, trying to order everyone around as though the world revolved around him. I couldn’t blame him. It happened when someone you loved was in danger, you became horribly selfish. It would wear off.

I listened to him anyway.

“Yes. I am versed in herbal remedies and do not worry for myself. However, I am in need of a specific type of medicine. My sister was bitten by a werewolf last night, and I don’t have Mirianweed. I also might mention that the jungle behind us is stalking us and does not seem at all friendly, so if you’re interested in helping me, I suggest you make it fast.”

I glanced at the jungle, uncertainly. Yes, it seemed somewhat threatening, but the wide expanse of a rocky cave in front of us didn’t seem all too welcoming either. It was as though the castle was driving us into the cave, and I didn’t feel like humoring it.

I had some basic knowledge about healing, most of it gathered during a particular phase a few months ago, when that seemed the most interesting thing on the planet. After that, it had been trying to teach myself Kezbe, which had backfired, and that had been followed by various other academic fascinations. Still, I remembered most of what I’d learned.

No wonder Magister Azriel complained my range of knowledge was unsystematic and random at best. Though, he always seemed more amused than worried about it.

“What’s the functioning of the poison? Does the Marianweed cancel it or simply counteract it?” I asked. It seemed an irrelevant question, but if it counteracted the effects, there was a possibility that another herb might work, though the dosage would need to be adjusted. It was essentially poisoning someone in reverse, which was a concerning phrase in and of itself.

I didn’t have any other herbs, but it might be easier to get.

The boy shot another annoyed glance toward the jungle and I rolled my eyes.

“Right, that’s the first of our problems.”

I occasionally struggled with prioritization.

We started moving, and I shot a glance toward Quin, ready to help if needed. Lorcan had made him a replacement crutch, which was the first spark of human decency I’d seen in him.

“Need any help?” I offered.

Quin shook his head, still looking away.

“Please ask if you need any, I’m happy to help,” I said, sincerely. I liked Quin, he seemed like a genuinely kind person.

I noticed another man behind him, who vaguely resembled Quin.

“You’re new. I’m Acyn, welcome to whatever illogical nightmare this is,” I said, hastily.

I turned back to the boy, who was just showing his sister a recently healed scar on his shoulder.

“I got that yesterday,” he said, gravely.

Accelerated healing? In this place? I frowned, staring off into the middle distance, trying to figure out how and why.

“We need to hurry,” Sahar said, glancing back at the jungle.

“No, you need to hurry. I need accurate and plentiful data that I can analyze,” I said, wistfully. Everything seemed to happen completely at random, and I didn’t like it. I wanted to analyze and predict it, to get some semblance of understanding. I only feared the unknown, and everything here was unknown.

Sahar rolled her eyes and shot me one of her looks. She was still trying to keep the girl conscious by talking to her.

“I like your knives, they’re so pretty–” she said, with the deep delight she always found in weaponry. And jewelry. And embroidery. And particularly nice pebbles. Anything, actually.

“You talk about knives the same way you talk about shoes,” I said,

“Correct, they’re both pretty and I want a big collection of both!” she said, cheerily.

She kept talking to the girl while I tried to get the boy to engage in some sort of conversation.

“I don’t actually know how you ended up here and I don’t particularly care, but could you explain more about how the poison, or actually, venom, works? I think I could help find a solution if I knew enough about it. Where does Marianweed grow?”

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy

Aww, Lorcan is finally starting to soften a little! That was so cute!

Lolll I know right! He’s super edgey but he’s so sweet at the same tim😄

@emily-waldorf

Dwaaaaa. Way to melt my heart. 🙂 Quin’ has to make a friend out of Locran before he leaves the castle (whenever that may be)…just has to!

YESSS THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING!!! Lorcan and Quin would be such a teeeaaam!! I’m all for it!!

@denali-christianson

Thank you for Lorcan’s reaction to Niarok! Brilliant! He greatly appreciates being respected.

You’re very welcome! Niarok sounds awesome and I think they would make a great team-up!

He flashed her a sideways smirk. “Hang in there miss.”
    YEEEEESSS!!!!!!!! *Squeals* So perfect! 🙂

Lorcan! *tut tut tut* you shameless flirt. Mind yourself there! Outrageous begaviour😂

Is it just me or do I want this little flirting thing to continue…? What do you think @denali-christianson ?🤣

@this-is-not-an-alien

I love how your princess was so annoying our resident assassin Lorcan nearly cried for joy when she disappears LOL! That was the funniest thing to read

Thanks Cathy! Hehe he’s such a comedic character even if he doesn’t know it. Dark and edgy are always the funniest.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

YESSS THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING!!! Lorcan and Quin would be such a teeeaaam!! I’m all for it!!

Yesss!!!Let’s see…the best way for this to work would be for Quin to help Locran out of some situation. (Like Locran just did for Quin with the crutch), because that would boost Quin’s confidence enough to be friends with someone like Locran.

problem is, Locran has lots of skill/training/powers, and Quin has literally nothing (except that his hands are very able, and deep inside he has a kind heart),  so IDK if him helping Locran is even possible???

On that Day I want those who hated me most to have the least to say against me. ~Quin Miller

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

NOOOOOO WHY YOU DO DIS TO MEEEEEEEE ;D

*blank*  I forgot what I did but you’re welcome 😈

11:59
    12:00
    I landed in a spiderweb and that was the last thing I remembered until I’m stuck now, like really stuck like dry spaghetti stuck. I don’t know what your first instinct would be but mine is to scream and flop around. But all I get is a mouthful of web (yuck) and my arm twisted above my head, I don’t even know which way is up! Everything’s sorta nauseous and sleepy like I’ve been given a sedative or something. Come on, thinkthinkthink!
    Ugh I think my last braincell took a vacation.
    Spiders stuck flies’ insides out with their tongue.
    With that very comforting thought I hack and kick at the webs twice as hard. It’s not really helping, but I think I can hear something above me, kinda echoy, like…oh shoot oh shoot! Whatever it is it’s right above me and I can’t tell what it’s doing–Focus, come on!
    Dong! Dong!
    If I’m in a grandfather clock it wouldn’t be so shaky with every chime. If I didn’t know any better–which I totally don’t–the wires are getting realer and I’m starting to…fade? This is me not panicking no panicking don’t panic!
    Dong! Dong!
    There’s I don’t know a thud, a cry, and a shriek above me. This is bad this is really bad! Ping! The webs are springing back and forth with every thud, it’s like a bad joke between dangling in the air and trying to scramble out a net. I think something landed right above me, something small and…here’s hoping it’s something useful…
    Dong! Dong!
    Oh. Swell. A lighter.
    “I’ve won!! You can’t back out now!!!” Whatever her voice is it’s not human and it vibrates off everything like a shrieking violin. I can’t hear anything else or see anything or ever breathe this is so bad!
    Wait. A lighter…
    I light it.
    Dong! Dong!
    It was a bad idea now everything’s on fire.
    Ehud! What the h–?!” I don’t hear anything else over my own screaming as I fall several layers of web down, wow the whole thing is lit! Like literally! And that’s a really really awful bad smell like burning plastic smell. Gold light blasts through a mesh of well, everything and there’s an earthshattering shriek from Miss Monster.
    But that doesn’t matter three silhouettes hue gold as the fire snaps through the tangled air. There’s Rosy there’s Rosy! With a look like what the heck level of stupidity was that?! And the Spider/Lord Caste/Kaleidoscope Miss Monster dragging webs closer…and closer…
    But the third silhouette was a gun just a yard away from me.
    Dong! Dong!
    I see it but the monster sees it too and hisses. With everything burning I gotta hold on to the webs above me or dangle or I don’t even know I’ve never climbed something like this! Everything gives or is too tight and I don’t which thread is gonna do which.
    “You’re mine!” It snarls but it jerks to the side as Rosy kicks it with all her weight. I think I made it I think I got it.
    Wait. I’ve never shot anything in my life!
    No time I gotta do this!
    Dong!–One more dong to make twelve I grip the gun so hard it hurts and that’s when the frozen face shifts to my mom’s, looking worn and scared and caring like the last thing I remember of her. ‘You can’t do this to me…?’ Her shaken eyes said.
    Bang!
    It was the memory, not her, I just killed…
    Dong!

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

LOL, Yila’s reaction was adorable! Funnily enough, that’s basically how my MC reacted when she fell in love XD “Not this, dangit! Not now! *hits feelings into the corner with a broom*”

IKR I LITERALLY LOVE THOSE REACTIONS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! Lol!

Oh, Sahar is eighteen and Acyn is seventeen, so they’re about the same age as your characters!

I love how Niarok is older than Acyn and Acyn is calling him a boy – suchhhh an in-character thing!!!!! 🙂

Is it just me or do I want this little flirting thing to continue…? What do you think @denali-christianson ?

Oh yes, you most definitely want this flirting thing to continue! How old is Lorcan, btw? Because I love this relationship so much I might need her to get a bit older if Lorcan is older…

Oh, and everyone, update, I’m thinking I’m going to make Niarok 20 instead of 18 (sorry Rose…), as he’s had way too much life experience for just being 18…

That’ll probably change like fifty times before it gets finalized…

Niarok

Niarok growled in frustration. One mess had very quickly become another one.

A boy who looked about three years younger than him appeared on Yila’s other side, trying to support her weight. He looked slight and fragile, but proved himself to be stronger than Niarok would have first assumed.

With the assassin dude off helping the lame guy, Niarok found himself surrounded by an obnoxious girl who acted like a five-year-old, and a boy who clearly had an unhealthily swollen ego.

Said boy had already forgotten that a forest was chasing them. Literally.

And he had that obnoxious glint in his eye that clearly wanted nothing more than to analyze everything as logically as possible.

One day he’ll learn.

Niarok glanced at the boy out of the side of his eye, trying to assess his motivations. It took him a moment to realize that the boy was talking to him.

“What’s the functioning of the poison? Does the Marianweed cancel it or simply counteract it?”

Niarok bit back a glare. The kid definitely had no clue what was going on. But Niarok wasn’t going to steal his joy right now.

Cute little Sahar was babbling to Yila as if they were best friends. Yila hardly noticed. Her face seemed torn between pain and wanting to see the assassin guy again.

Niarok grumbled a curse. This was not the time for his usually level-headed sister to fall in love with a guy who clearly had a decorated past of brutally murdering people…

Yila pulled Niarok into a discussion soon after, and eventually Niarok was convinced to share his theory that the castle was capable of accelerating healing. Which was a problem, because that meant the obnoxious boy standing next to Yila could also hear.

His eyes widened to a huge size and Niarok could almost imagine his tongue lolling out with curiosity. He resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

The boy took a couple of deep breaths, glancing behind at the approaching forest a couple of times before turning back around and snapping something at Sahar.

“I don’t actually know how you ended up here and I don’t particularly care, but could you explain more about how the poison, or actually, venom, works? I think I could help find a solution if I knew enough about it. Where does Marianweed grow?” he finally asked Niarok.

Niarok burst out laughing. He couldn’t help it. The kid was way too full of himself.

The boy looked taken aback. Niarok quickly composed himself.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude,” he said.

The kid’s eyes were wide and he looked like he seriously wanted to kill Niarok.

Niarok honestly couldn’t blame him.

“I thank you for you offer of help. You’re correct, this is a venom we’re dealing with. However, the venom itself is very minimal. The other problem is the diseases within the werewolf’s teeth. I have worked a medical trade for ten years, and have treated many werewolf bites. I’ve lost too many patients because I haven’t had Mirianweed and nothing else works.”

The kid looked so hopefully doubtful.

Niarok almost felt bad for crushing his dreams. Almost.

“The only reason Mirianweed works is that it has two specific chemicals in it. One of them functions as an antibiotic which is specifically attracted to the bacteria from the werewolf’s teeth. The other is an antivenom which latches onto each particle of venom and neutralizes it. These chemicals are actually fairly easy to find, but both are toxic in any quantity unless they are together with the third chemical found in Mirianweed, which can only be found in Mirianweed. It is scientifically impossible for it to grow anywhere else.”

Niarok’s face was a study in stone as he stared the kid down, daring him to challenge him. He had zero respect for the boy, but he still wanted to give the kid a chance to earn it from him.

That will be very difficult for him to accomplish.

Then the group entered the cave thing at the end of the hallway, and it suddenly got very dark.

Niarok pulled a torch from his backpack and shifted Yila’s arm on his shoulder. She seemed to be getting stronger, and she was now happily discussing knives with Sahar.

Niarok somehow managed to light the match on fire with only one arm free.

It lit up the boy’s face as he opened his mouth to speak again.

Niarok stared at him, letting the flames bathe his stoney face.

Now we wait and see if he has the nerve to talk.

Sorry guys, life was annoying me when I wrote this, so naturally Niarok ended up being very annoyed…

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Also I will post Yila’s part soon (when I’m not falling asleep)

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Sorry guys, life was annoying me when I wrote this, so naturally Niarok ended up being very annoyed…

Sorry about the annoying part. 🙁 <3 Niorak’s fine–I’m getting used to annoyed characters in my WIP–EVERYBODY is a jerk right now in my books so… annoyed is better than a jerk. Besides, you clearly have a good character here, and it’s fun to see different sides of him. 🙂

On that Day I want those who hated me most to have the least to say against me. ~Quin Miller

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Sorry about the annoying part.   <3 Niorak’s fine–I’m getting used to annoyed characters in my WIP–EVERYBODY is a jerk right now in my books so… annoyed is better than a jerk. Besides, you clearly have a good character here, and it’s fun to see different sides of him.

LOL!!! I mean, annoying life aside, so do I…

And yeah. Most of the characters in my book are complete scoundrel jerks. Which may or may not be why I joined the villain castle… 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

IKR I LITERALLY LOVE THOSE REACTIONS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! Lol!

YES IT’S THE BEST!! LOL, Sahar and Acyn figured out they were in love before they did XD Sahar ships it so hard XD

OOhh!! I think she’ll actually pick up on the sparks between Lorcan and Yila! LOL, this will be hilarious!

And yeah. Most of the characters in my book are complete scoundrel jerks. Which may or may not be why I joined the villain castle…

I love scoundrel jerks 🥰🥰 The best character types: Stabby-Sassy, Scoundrel Jerks, and Personality of a wet cat. 🥰

LOL, I actually think it’s very fun! (Also, there’s nothing better than torturing your characters when life is annoying XD) LOL, I LOVE how he just assumed Acyn is arrogant XD Like… buddy, Acyn knows like three things and two of them are useless and he knows that XD (Actually, most characters immediately assume he’s arrogant XD) LOL, this will be hilarious!

Neasa

@denali-christianson

Great! Glad I’m not the only one who feels this way😜❤️ So Lorcan’s age is a bit complicated, but basically he’s in his late teens/early 20s. If thats too old, I can always make him sightly younger, its no big deal😊

Can’t wait! This is soo exciting hehe!💛

Lorcan

Quin stuck by Lorcan’s side as they followed after the group. Lorcan occasionally glanced at him to make sure he was getting on all right. But Quin seemed to be having no trouble at all with the new crutch, accommodating his single leg perfectly.

“I apologise for my rudeness earlier,” Lorcan said smoothly. “It was nothing personal. I often speak briskly to people. Plus those two were really getting on my nerves so I was in a bit of a mood.” He gestured towards Sahar and Acyn, who were chattering away to the two newcomers. The new girl was half listening to Sahar and half attempting to crane her neck to look back at Lorcan.

They made eye contact. She sure was quite attractive, despite her obvious injuries. Her eyes were a deep shade of blue, and her long shining ebony hair had streaks of red in it. Red. He liked that colour. He wasn’t sure why. It was the colour of blood after all and be had seen far too much blood in his lifetime. But still – it looked good on her…

He smirked and winked at the girl. Her face turned bright pink and she looked away hurriedly.

As they walked, he found himself eavesdropping on the conversation between the new boy and Acyn. It appeared that new boy had mocked Acyn’s arrogance. And Acyn decided to take offense. Lorcan rolled his eyes. Will children ever learn?

“The only reason Mirianweed works is that it has two specific chemicals in it,” the new boy said. “One of them functions as an antibiotic which is specifically attracted to the bacteria from the werewolf’s teeth. The other is an antivenom which latches onto each particle of venom and neutralizes it. These chemicals are actually fairly easy to find, but both are toxic in any quantity unless they are together with the third chemical found in Mirianweed, which can only be found in Mirianweed. It is scientifically impossible for it to grow anywhere else.”

Lorcan sighed. Of course it was.

Darkness hit them when they entered the cave. A blazing torch was lit, illuminating their faces. It appeared to belong to the bew boy. Lorcan reached out to grasp Quin’s shoulder. “Walk slowly, boy,” he said. “I’ll guide you.” His other hand prepared to summon one of his blades should the occasion call for it.

”So who are you exactly?” Quin whispered. He appeared to be getting more confident now, Lorcan thought with pride.

”I’m an assassin,” Lorcan sighed. “I serve the High Queen. I hunt down her enemies and kill them. Thats my story. Nothing interesting about it.”

”But why?” Quin asked him. “Why do it?”

Why do you kill people?

He tightened his jaw. Always that question, one that he wasn’t sure he was able to answer. Because he wasn’t really sure he had a proper answer to it. Lorcan was painfully aware that everyone had turned silent, obviously listening to their conversation.

It took him a long time to answer. If he was going to stay in this awful place forever, he might as well be real. No lies, no pretense. But he he couldn’t tell them everything either. “I do it because I have no choice,” he said darkly. “My whole life, I have been taught one lesson. One lesson only. Kill or be killed. Protect your own, or they will die.”

He looked down at Quin. “I’m definitely no hero. But I don’t think its evil for just wanting to protect the ones that I love. Or what do you think?”

Quin blinked up at him.

Like I said Lorcan’s an anti-hero. All the bad things he has done, he believes he’s doing it for a good moral reason. I honestly have so much fun with this guy  he’s just fascinating😍

I have an idea – lets do theme songs for our characters. I’m a sucker for music, it helps me write and imagine!😄 Pick a song of any genre that you feel speaks to your character the most. Maybe you heard it one day and it inspired you create that character. Or maybe you just thought ‘wow that song sounds exactly like this character’.

I’ll go first – Lorcan’s theme song would probably be ‘Whatever It Takes’ by Imagine Dragons 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Acyn

He laughed in my face. Literally.

I jerked my eyebrows. That was unnecessary. I wasn’t the most qualified, and I barely knew what I was talking about, but I was really trying to help.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude,” he added, quickly.

I shot him a withering look but managed my tongue for once. For someone who hadn’t meant to be rude, he had been extremely rude.

“I thank you for your offer of help. You’re correct, this is a venom we’re dealing with. However, the venom itself is very minimal. The other problem is the diseases within the werewolf’s teeth. I have worked the medical trade for ten years, and have treated many werewolf bites. I’ve lost too many patients because I haven’t had Mirianweed and nothing else works.”

That made perfect sense. Finally, something made sense. I understood where he was coming from, but I would like some more information, perhaps then there was some way to get around it.

Before I could ask for it, he continued.

“The only reason Mirianweed works is that it has two specific chemicals in it. One of them functions as an antibiotic that is specifically attracted to the bacteria from the werewolf’s teeth. The other is an antivenom that latches onto each particle of venom and neutralizes it. These chemicals are actually fairly easy to find, but both are toxic in any quantity unless they are together with the third chemical found in Mirianweed, which can only be found in Mirianweed. It is scientifically impossible for it to grow anywhere else.”

He was staring me down rather rudely, but I couldn’t care less. I was friends with Liorah, glaring was her way of showing affection.

“Fascinating,” I said, admiringly. I knew it brought a slew of problems along with it, but I couldn’t help admire his knowledge and the intricacies of the antidote. It was beautiful, in an odd way. I wished I had something to write it down.

I glanced back at Sahar. She caught my eye and pulled a doubtful expression. The girl clearly wasn’t well, but we had a little more time.

He had lit a torch, and the cave surrounding us was pitch dark and damp. He glared at me, as though he would personally rip my head off if I said anything.

I raised an eyebrow, not in the least intimidated. Why did he hate me already? I was just trying to help. I ignored it.

“How much time do we have and what can we do for her while we try to find a solution?” I asked, getting straight to the point and ignoring his forbidding expression.

He kept glaring at me and I finally lost my patience. However, I didn’t explode or lose my temper. I knew where he was coming from, I’d probably act the exact same way if one of my friends was hurt.

“I’m not claiming to be an expert on anything, you know far more than I do, but I do genuinely want to help. Just let me, won’t you?” I asked, calmly.

Lorcan was talking to Quin and I caught a snatch of their conversation.

”But why?” Quin asked him. “Why do it?”

There was a long silence. Long enough for me to guess what it was about. I frowned. I wanted to know the answer to this one. So far, Lorcan hadn’t exactly been… easy to get along with, but he wasn’t sadistic or the kind of person who would have no problem killing.

“I do it because I have no choice,” he said darkly. “My whole life, I have been taught one lesson. One lesson only. Kill or be killed. Protect your own, or they will die. I’m definitely no hero. But I don’t think it’s evil for just wanting to protect the ones that I love. Or what do you think?”

It was one of those situations where you were faced with someone you didn’t understand, you couldn’t possibly understand. In those situations, people were fast to close off, trying to find some way to relate or understand, diminishing the troubles into something small enough to understand, something so small it shared no similarities with the actual situation.

It left the other person feeling more isolated than ever, as the other only saw the surface and accepted it as the depths.

A better solution was just to listen. To accept that you didn’t quite understand. Probably never would. I wasn’t Lorcan. I hadn’t gone through what he had. I hoped I never would.

“I’m not in a place to judge. You’re doing your best to protect those you love, and that’s something many give up on,” I said, quietly. I could respect him for that.

_____

That got real philosophical real fast XD

Like I said Lorcan’s an anti-hero. All the bad things he has done, he believes he’s doing it for a good moral reason. I honestly have so much fun with this guy  he’s just fascinating

Man, he’s so fascinating! Now Liorah’s out of his life I’m seeing a completely other side of him, and it’s so cool!

I have an idea – lets do theme songs for our characters. I’m a sucker for music, it helps me write and imagine!  Pick a song of any genre that you feel speaks to your character the most. Maybe you heard it one day and it inspired you create that character. Or maybe you just thought ‘wow that song sounds exactly like this character’.

YESS!! I’m glad I’m not the only person who does this!! (Most of my characters have a playlist XD)

I’ll go first – Lorcan’s theme song would probably be ‘Whatever It Takes’ by Imagine Dragons

I LOVE THAT SONG!!! It’s so Lorcan!!! I already know have awesome taste in music XD

Lemme see, I actually don’t have that many songs for these two XD The others have like… twenty songs each and they have one or two each XD

I’d say Sahar is “To the Dreamers” or “Wholehearted” by For King and Country, and Acyn is “Five” by Sleeping at Last. (That song has a really long intro, you can skip the first two minutes if you want to get straight to the song)

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Qatar

There were people everywhere. One of them, a tall man in an overcoat, came forward carrying a dog. He looked about Qatar’s age, but Qatar barely glanced at him. Quin still clung to the crutch, and below him, the castle floor was filling with lava; if he fell again, there would be no second chance. He saw his brother’s fingers slipping. He wasn’t as strong as Qatar–even the short climb up the crutch was too much for him.

Qatar’s arm shot out and gripped his brother’s shoulder, hauling him up over the edge.

“Well, Little Brother! you sure know how to get into a ticklish situation.”

Quin ignored him, but glanced up at the man carrying the dog. The man set the dog down and started toward them. Quin’s face flushed, and he crawled behind Qatar. Like a rat scuttering into its hole, thought Qatar in disgust.

Just then a short man with a dark complexion sauntered up. He apparently knew Quin already.

“You’re new. I’m Acyn, welcome to whatever illogical nightmare this is.” he said hastily.

Qatar looked him up and down. “Illogical seems right anyway. I’m Qatar. This here is my Little Brother Quin. You’ve met before.”

The young man–Acyn–didn’t seem to have time for much more, and Qatar wasn’t particularly interested in talking with him, anyway.

Quin

Locran teleported back with a vaguely crutch-shaped branch. He tore a strip from his overcoat as if it were old cotton instead of leather and wrapped it around the armrest.

Quin blushed again, thinking of how he’d insulted this man.

“Hey, thanks.”

Just then Acyn walked up. Quin would have been glad to see him, if he wasn’t still smarting from the last encounter with Locran.

“Need any help?” Asked Acyn.

Quin shook his head and didn’t look at him.

“Please ask if you need any, I’m happy to help.”

Just go away.

Quin shook his head and grunted.

I don’t want your help and I don’t need it! why are you so interested in me? He remembered Acyn’s staring when Quin had first arrived. But he bit his tongue. Acyn was just trying to help.

Locran walked up. It was amazing how quietly he could walk. Quin’s crutches made a continual tap tap on the stone floor, that echoed in the vast darkness of the cave.

“I apologize for my rudeness earlier,” Lorcan said smoothly. “It was nothing personal. I often speak briskly to people. Plus those two were really getting on my nerves so I was in a bit of a mood.” He gestured towards Sahar and Acyn, who were chattering away to the two newcomers.

“Yeah…me to. I flew off the handle–and you weren’t yelling. What you said just reminded me of my brother, I guess.”

He hadn’t meant to say that.

Someone lit a torch, and Quin could see the face of the man beside him. Ready for anything. set. Hard. why had he gone all the way to the forest for a crutch, all for a poor lame ‘lad’?

he suddenly stretched out his hand and gripped Quin’s shoulder.

“Walk slowly, boy,” he said. “I’ll guide you.”

He fought hard against the urge to shake him off. He let Locran’s hand stay, but every muscle tensed under the grip and those words.

He bit his tongue, trying not to say the words that rose in his mind. Locran was trying to be helpful…just like Acyn had been.

After a while he let go of Quin’s shoulder, and Quin began to relax a bit. He looked again at the assassain’s face. There was something underneath the hardnesss. Something Locran hid deep in his eyes, as if he hoped no one would find it.

”So who are you exactly?” Quin asked.

”I’m an assassin,” Lorcan sighed. “I serve the High Queen. I hunt down her enemies and kill them. Thats my story. Nothing interesting about it.”

”But why do it?”

Locran’s jaw set. It took him a long time to answer.

“I do it because I have no choice,” he said darkly. “My whole life, I have been taught one lesson. One lesson only. Kill or be killed. Protect your own, or they will die.”

He looked down at Quin. “I’m definitely no hero. But I don’t think its evil for just wanting to protect the ones that I love. Or what do you think?”

Quin blinked up at him.

“I suppose if that’s the only way to survive…” he said slowly. “But what about the people you…assassinate? Don’t they have ‘their own’, just like you do?” he stumbled to a stop. Here he was, lecturing a stranger on how to do his job.

He glanced up at Locran, wondering if the other mask he wore, the calm exterior, would crumble. As he watched Locran’s passive face he could see that inside was a struggle, and he wondered for an instant if he would break his rule about speaking softly unless giving orders.

But all he said, without emotion, was, “And you, lad. Who are you?”

“I’m a farmer. Well, I was.” his glance fell involuntarily on his missing leg. “Now I’m just…Quin.”

I don’t think I have songs for my characters. :(((( I love music for writing, but haven’t found songs for them.

IDK if that is how Locran would react to Quin’s answer–feel free to change it if you want. 🙂

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Woah… I got a serious amount of space before that last post actually starts…

Anyway, just wanted to let y’all know that Quin is 19 and Qatar is 25. Also, they’re only half brothers but Quin doesn’t know that, and Qatar never talks about it (So I don’t know why I told you except that it’s cool).

Qatar is tall, strong, and fairly handsome, with jet black hair and green eyes. (?) maybe they’re hazel, lol. He has a more chiseled face than Quin has, generally the impression of being longer–Quin’s is more round, though not at all fat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 1,493 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest