fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 1,493 total)
  • Author
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@denali-christianson

yes, Klein is in the same castle (even the same part), but his owner (the Rusted Knight) doesn’t make an appearance that often. I love your characters, btw.

On that Day I want those who hated me most to have the least to say against me. ~Quin Miller

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

A tall man a bit older than Niarok glared steadily into the heat with the look of a ferral mountain lion about to kill something, and a strange man appeared out of nowhere hanging sideways along the wall, gripping a strange dog. Niarok raised an eyebrow. The strange man’s strange mask fell off, down into the orange glow, revealing a handsomely scarred face. Niarok raised the other eyebrow.

Love it. Randomly, fandomly love it.

On that Day I want those who hated me most to have the least to say against me. ~Quin Miller

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@emily-waldorf

Thank you very much! That helps.

Also thank you!!! I’m so in love with Niarok right now!

Niarok

Niarok gulped as the strange man glared at him.

But then the other strange dude who no longer had a strange mask made it to the top of the hole.

Then another man came up too.

He looked haunted.

Seems to be a common theme around here.

The haunted man looked right through Niarok, his eyes flicking rapidly. Then he darted past him and Niarok heard a snapping sound.

Niarok turned and nearly choked.

“Where did the jungle come from?” he yelled.

No one noticed.

That’s good.

The haunted man ran back past and threw the vine over the edge of the hole.

Niarok shook himself out of his stupor and looked up, trying to figure out how to get the rope down.

He tugged on it.

It snapped.

He gulped.

The rope plummeted from the ceiling and landed next to Niarok.

He looked at the severed end.

The castle knifed my rope.

The castle knifed my rope? I don’t think so!

Niarok growled a very good curse and brandished his sword in a general arc to threaten the castle as best he could. He thought he heard it laugh. Shaking his head with another curse, he wrapped the frayed rope around his hands. Then he caught himself and untied it from Yila first.

With a bound that nearly sent him over the edge, Niarok threw the rope over the cliff into the hole that was now filling with lava.

This is getting too weird.

“Grab on!” he yelled at the various bruised forms looking up at him.

Then the ground shook.

Niarok looked back.

The jungle was moving.

On the plus side, though, everyone had wisely ignored his offer of help and grabbed onto the haunted dude’s vine. They were all at the top. Staring at him.

Again.

Crap.

Niarok glared back, yanking the rope out of the lava-filled abyss that had apparently once been a nice floor of rock and normalcy.

“So, are we going to run? Or are we going to stare at me like I have two heads?” Niarok snapped at the many glaring one-heads.

This is just great.

The jungle was a step closer.

"The light perceives the very heart of the darkness." -Haldir

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

*Also coughs, diving to cover up the computer screen with a picture of a rattlesnake bite* Nope! Definitely not. Never. No. Way! Wouldn’t that be like so cruel if I ever actually did that to one of my characters??? Who would do something like that???

LOL! You’re making life so miserable and hard for your characters! I’m so proud of you, you’ll go far as a writer XD

Oh, in case you want to use it, we previously established the castle can somehow?? speed up healing. (This was necessary because as everyone knows, writers love torturing their characters but then the wounds get in the way of plot and then it’s a pain.) (Edit: I just found this pun and I’m very proud of myself.) So, use that as you please!

I’M SO DISTURBED AS TO HOW SAHAR AND I ARE LITERALLY THE SAME PERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don’t worry. I don’t plot murder. *coughs* usually…

LOL THIS IS GETTING HYSTERICAL!! I used to be confused as to why everyone relates to Sahar the most, but then I remembered that we’re all writers here and that her key personality traits of knives and drama apply to every writer I’ve ever known XD I just love her, she’s the best! *Busily scheming to get her more screentime*

Sahar

Lorcan literally disappeared before my eyes before appearing again halfway across the room, then climbing up, holding Azar.

Acyn shot me a look and I nodded. I’d seen it too.

“So, that was scientifically impossible and we’ll get back to that,” Acyn said, as the lava was rapidly rising.

The armored man had somehow gotten up to the top and tossed down a rope? A vine? What was it?

“Grab on,” he called down.

I nodded to Acyn, but he gestured for me to go first. I gripped the rope, briefly grateful that I didn’t wear rings. They were pretty but they got in the way too much.

With a swish of my yellow skirts, I wrapped the rope around one foot and pushed myself up. It was a laborious process, and I wasn’t good at it, but it was working. At least it looked impressive, my brightly colored clothes glowed against the light of the lava. I was quite satisfied with the effect.

I glanced down at the glowing lava flooding around us, so high that even Acyn had pulled himself some way up the wall.

I had an unreasonable, irresistible urge to touch it. It was so pretty and glowy and it looked like thick honey.

Acyn saw me staring and shot me a glare that told me he knew exactly how stupid that thought was and he was judging me for it. I smiled back at him. He should be used to it by now.

I was more than halfway up the rope. I leaned backward, trying to see if I could flip upside down. I’d always wanted to try this.

“Sahar, focus,” Acyn called up to me. My eyes widened innocently but considering the fact that I was literally hanging upside down and trying to keep my skirt from falling over my face, there was no denying that I might have gotten a little distracted, perhaps.

I finished the climb, and the others followed. Acyn managed to complain all the way, which was an impressive feat in and of itself.

I laughed and swept my hair back and retired the scarf around my curls.

“That was fun! Can I go again?”

“I’d rather just jump straight into the lava,” Acyn said, pulling himself onto the edge.

He glanced at Lorcan.

“Are you going to kill us now? Should I be afraid?” The amount of sarcasm in his tone couldn’t be sufficiently expressed in words.

I frowned, then glanced at Lorcan. He’d lost his mask, and I was almost surprised to see that he wasn’t bad-looking. I had expected him to be ugly under the mask. There was no specific reason for that deduction, I’d simply assumed that was the only reason anyone would wear something over their face.

He had some scars over his face, but that was nothing to be ashamed of.

“Your scars look interesting! I think they hurt but it really doesn’t look that bad.”

I grinned at him, then twirled around, trying to assess the environment. There was a group of trees that was bizarrely green. They were also moving. Was that a problem?

Oh, new people! A boy stood nearby, glaring at all of us. I smiled, brightly. Between Liorah and Acyn, I somehow seemed to attract glaring people. It was almost funny at this point.

A girl was slung over his shoulder and my smile instantly turned into a worried frown.

I hurried closer.

“Hello! I’m Sahar, it’s nice to meet you, is she alright?” I asked, in one breath.

I touched the girl’s hand, gently, but she only sighed, without waking up. She was covered in blood, and so was the boy.

“Can I help?” I asked, not knowing how but wanting to offer anyway.

@irishcelticredflowercrown

Okay drum roll guys. Lorcan’s mask is gonna come off. And I need reactions from you all. He’s very very good looking soo maybe a few gasps from the ladies are in order hehe   he has some scars here and there but like really cool ones that make him look awesome

Welll…. you got a reaction! XD In my defense, it was characteristic XD Sahar isn’t the gasping kind and I think she insulted him by being nice again but that’s just how she talks with people and Lorcan “AngstyEdgy” and Sahar “Human embodiment of sunshine” inevitably clash XD

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Rose.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

This was necessary because as everyone knows, writers love torturing their characters but then the wounds get in the way of plot and then it’s a pain.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I literally love it so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also how old is Sahar?

Niarok

Niarok stared at the conglomeration of strange people.

On the plus side, they were no longer staring at him. Not that it was much better how they were all looking at the strange man missing his strange mask like they thought he was supposed to be ugly.

There was this girl who was disturbingly similar to Yila – just minus any semblance of sense.

Niarok grinned wryly at the dude throwing precise verbal darts.

Now him, I like!

Only thing was, that girl was now approaching him. With a look that suggested she thought she was superior to him. The smile especially aggravated him. Did she realize they were trapped between boiling lava and a moving forest which happened to want to devour them?

Hopefully she saw the sword.

And realized that he knew how to use it.

And really wouldn’t mind demonstrating right then.

The girl’s oblivious smile turned to a worried frown and she hurried closer.

Niarok gritted his teeth. He didn’t have time for little kids to be worried about his sister.

“Hello! I’m Sahar, it’s nice to meet you, is she alright?” she blurted so fast that Niarok had to blink before he could comprehend what she had said.

He glared at her.

What does it look like, dimwit?

Sahar approached and touched Yila’s hand curiously, although Niarok had to give the kid credit for being gentle.

“Can I help?” Sahar asked.

Niarok growled a curse and looked past Sahar.

“Do any of you have Mirianweed?” He yelled at the assembly of other strange people.

So far the only one of them who seemed to have any sense at all was the man who had been kneeling with his face in the hole.

He still looked like a feral mountain lion about to spring – only this time he was looking at Niarok.

Niarok nodded his approval.

He glanced over his shoulder at the forest, which was still moving.

Sahar stood exactly where she had stood, that same maddening look of innocent curiosity written all over her features.

But now the whole group was staring at him.

Some of them were glaring physical daggers.

Niarok flipped sweaty hairs out of his eyes and glared back.

“Well? While we’re still alive?” he snapped.

Sahar still stared at him.

He cursed again.

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy

Welll…. you got a reaction! XD In my defense, it was characteristic XD Sahar isn’t the gasping kind and I think she insulted him by being nice again but that’s just how she talks with people and Lorcan “AngstyEdgy” and Sahar “Human embodiment of sunshine” inevitably clash XD

That is definitely so in character for her lolll. Ahahaha Lorcan AngstyEdgy I LOVE IT🤣 soo accurate!!

Lorcan

Lorcan wanted to scream in rage at his own carelessness. The one thing that identified him as the esteemed assassin was gone.

Well he would have to worry about that later. The lava was rising higher and higher.

He half sprinted, half teleported his way up the wall to where their escape lay. He leapt onto the ledge, the hound yapping loudly enough to bring down a mountain.

He blew out a breath. Well that was solved quicker than he’d expected.

Everyone followed after him, climbing up some ropes. He ran his gaze over them, assessing each one. Was it just him or did there seem to be even more people now?

Acyn turned to him. “Are you going to kill us now? Should I be afraid?”

Lorcan held eye contact with him. Now that his face was exposed for everyone to see, there was no hiding anymore. He felt so – naked. Protocol would have required him to kill each person who had seen his face. After all, that was what his oath required of him.

Except these were now desperate times.

“No,” he answered in a low voice. “You can be assured that that won’t be necessary.”

He was fully conscious of the fact that people were assessing his appearance. It was a strange feeling. He placed the squirming hound onto the floor. “Here’s the flipping dog. And for pete’s sake keep him out of harms way.”

He met everyone’s gazes with steely lowered eyes. Daring them to say something, if anything. He wondered what was going through their heads. Had they been expecting a monster perhaps? A deformed face? He smiled, knowing for sure that physically, he definitely was <i>not</i> ugly.

His gaze landed on Sahar who was looking at him curiously.

“Your scars look interesting!” She stated. “I think they hurt but it really doesn’t look that bad.”

Jeeney mackers, what else was this child going to come out with? “They don’t hurt at all,” he answered. “Why would they? They’re marks of honour. I won each of them in hard-won battle.” He folded his arms. “Besides I have had worse. Much worse.”

He decided not to elaborate on his other scars. The ones that, even now years later, struggled to heal completely. He needed special salves for them, due to the nature in which he got them.

He opened his mouth yo continue. But surprise surprise Sahar had already moved away. Lorcan let out an exasperated sigh. She clearly had the attention span of a goldfish. He said nothing, only followed her movements as she introduced herself to the strange newcomers.

That was when he focused on them. He blinked at the young boy carrying a girl like a sack. Both of them covered in scarlet blood.

He was striding towards them before he could properly evaluate the situation. “What happened?”, he spoke in a low voice. “Are the both of you injured?”

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Hey everyone, just wanted to let y’all know since I’m pretty sure I forgot to clarify, but Niarok is like 18 or 20. Yila is 17. Sorry!

Niarok

Niarok stared at the maskless man walking towards him. Here was someone who could possibly help.

Although he also had that assassin look about him. No matter. He seemed to grasp the gravity of the moment.

He eyed Niarok, then Yila, his eyes widening slightly.

Niarok looked down and noticed he was now bleeding from about three more places.

He cursed.

The man eyed him. “What happened?”, he spoke in a low voice. “Are the both of you injured?”

Niarok glared at him but checked himself. The man clearly had far more sense than Sahar, or anyone else for that matter.

“Yes. I am versed in herbal remedies and do not worry for myself. However, I am in need of a specific type of medicine. My sister was bitten by a werewolf last night, and I don’t have Mirianweed. I also might mention that the jungle behind us is stalking us and does not seem at all friendly, so if you’re interested in helping me, I suggest you make it fast.”

Niarok glared into the other man’s eyes, communicating with his own piercing blue ones that though the other man was older, he considered him an equal, nothing more.

The floor shook again.

“And you might want to make fast into STAT.”

Yila

She felt heat.

Heard screaming.

Felt someone touch her hand.

Then she heard a familiar voice talking.

Her head pounded.

She opened her eyes blearily and found herself hanging upside down off of Niarok’s shoulder.

“Hey!”

Niarok started.

“Hey!” she said again, although what she had intended to be a shout came out more like a whimper.

Niarok lifted her off his shoulder.

She wavered but managed to stand, leaning on him.

Looking around, she saw the strangest scene.

There must have been at least ten people standing in various positions, next to a hole filling with lava.

If moving her head hadn’t hurt, she probably would have looked behind her.

Too much effort.

There was a dude standing in front of Niarok, and the two were having a legendary stare-off.

“Amend what I said,” Niarok finally snapped.

The other guy looked like some sort of assassin. But boy. He was handsome! The scars on his face only gave him a rough side that turned Yila’s feverish heart to mush.

She shook her head and forced herself to stop staring.

Instead she looked at her right arm and choked at the size of it.

Boy how I’d like to shoot something!

Niarok looked at Yila and back at the assassin man. “So assistance aside, I suggest we get out of the way of the jungle which is now tickling my back.”

Niarok leapt forward, half carrying, half supporting Yila.

She glanced back and gulped when she saw the huge forest.

“Where are we?” she asked.

Niarok glanced at her. “You don’t want to know.”

“And the question still stands, rabble, does anyone have Mirianweed?” He yelled at the weird assembly of people.

Yila squirmed under all the staring eyes.

Dragon breath.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Quin boosted himself up, grateful for Acyn’s help. he struggled up the wobbling wooden crutch, one inch at a time, toward Qatar’s intense face.

Great. He’ll be even more angry with me, now. “what did you get yourself into now, Little Brother?” He could just hear his brother’s flat voice.

before he was halfway up his arms started to quiver, and his shoulders ached. His legs weren’t much help as he climbed up the crutch.  All his weight relied on his hands.  by the time he reached the top he was sweating. almost unbearable heat was wafting up from below him.

He heard the dog bark, and Sahar and Acyn’s voices. I hope they’re okay. He climbed faster. But his hands were shaking, and he wasn’t sure how long he could hold on. Just then he felt his elbows giving out–his hands, his fingers, ever muscle in his arms refused to move, and started to relax.

No! He just had time to throw one terrified look up at his brother before his fingers lost their grip. he was falling, falling. Qatar’s strong arm flashed over the edge and caught him, and together they pulled him over the edge and onto relative safety.

“Well, little brother!”

Here it comes!

“You sure got yourself into a fix this time.”

Chaos erupted below them. Quin looked down in time to see Locran suddenly vanish, and reappear, carrying the dog. Quin blinked and turned to Qatar. Both of his brother’s eyebrows were raised, staring at the odd collection of people that Quin  had just been standing with.

As Locran and the others climbed to safety Quin did a double take.  I was positive he had a mask on a minute ago…

He set the dog down, and straightened. He was as tall as Qatar, and at least as good-looking, but in a wilder, nobler way. Quin felt his shoulders sag. Strong, good looking, tall. Whole. He wouldn’t let himself think that thought, but it still nagged at the back of his mind, refusing to be ignored.

Locran walked toward them, all of his limbs working just as he wanted them to. on an impulse, Quin crawled behind Qatar, trying to escape the vision of one man he’d argued with by hiding behind the other.

But Locran paused, talking with the girl.

Sahar–is that it? he thought idly as he scooted toward the edge. He couldn’t just stay on the ground forever, and if he wanted to stand up, he needed his crutches.

Uh-oh.

He scrambled to the edge and looked down, just in time to see seething lava wrap itself around the crutch he’d left on the floor below.

now what?

He snatched the crutch that still hung on the ledge, as if it were made of gold instead of brown wood.

He wobbled to his feet, leaning on the one crutch, too absorbed, for the moment, to notice that Locran was walking in his direction.

As he straightened up, his eyes met the assassin’s for the first time since they’d argued. Locran’s face was clear and proud and handsome.

Quin flushed scarlet and looked away.

That was maybe a girly response from a guy, but there’s Quin’s. 🙂

Neasa

@emily-waldorf @denali-christianson

Thank youu for your wonderful reactions from Yila and Quin, they’re just brilliant. Now Lorcan doesn’t need to feel like an idiot anymore WOOHOO!! I think Yila especially has given him a boost of confidence 😜😂

Lorcan
    “Yes. I am versed in herbal remedies and do not worry for myself. However, I am in need of a specific type of medicine. My sister was bitten by a werewolf last night, and I don’t have Mirianweed. I also might mention that the jungle behind us is stalking us and does not seem at all friendly, so if you’re interested in helping me, I suggest you make it fast.”

The lad proceeded to glare at him with blue eyes that seemed intent on burning holes into him. Not in a way that was openly disrespectful, like Liorah. But in a way that clearly communicated that he saw him simply as an equal, no better no worse.

Lorcan quirked up an eyebrow. Finally. It seemed like he had found someone he could actually take seriously.

“And you might want to make fast into STAT,“ the boy said. Just then the girl whimpered. Immediately her brother put her down, and Lorcan stepped back to accommodate them.

The girl leaned against her brother as she stood up. Her arm was now swelling up to a scarily insane size.  The boy returned his hard gaze towards Lorcan. “Amend what I said,” he snapped.

”I have experience with medicinal plants and substances,” Lorcan said seriously. “But I’m afraid I do not know what this Mirianweed is. I have never come across it. But – I have treated wolf bites before. So I will try to help you.”

The girl’s gaze wandered towards Lorcan and her eyes widened. Her mouth formed an o shape as she drank in his appearance. He flashed her a sideways smirk. “Hang in there miss.”

The boy gestured behind him. Where the trees were literally crawling towards them. “So assistance aside, I suggest we get out of the way of the jungle which is now tickling my back.”

He lurched forward with the girl. Lorcan followed, making his way towards the boy with the crutches. Although – he just had one crutch now.

The boy straightened up, wobbling in his feet. Clearly he was struggling. He met his gaze then looked away, his face reddening.

Lorcan tilted his head, reading his posture, his expression. He could sense it from a mile away. The low self esteem, the insecurity he felt when he saw Lorcan. He thought himself inferior – because of his disability.

He clenched his fists, struggling to keep a cool composure. Because he felt a strange sort of kindredness with this boy. He knew what it was like to be in his shoes. He still knew.

His gravelly voice was soft. ”Quin?”

The boy met his gaze again, unsure.

“What happened to your other crutch?”

Quin gestured towards the pit behind him. Lorcan nodded. “It seems we both lost something in the fire. Though in your case it was more important.”

Quin shrugged, looking away with hunched shoulders. Lorcan’s stomach turned For a brief <i>brief</i> moment he wanted to tell him. He wanted to show him that he wasn’t perfect either. That he wasn’t invincible. That he was a filthy broken individual. One who wasn’t worthy of leading.

Quin didn’t know it, but Lorcan understood him far more than he thought. He just wished he could communicate that to him somehow.

Lorcan smiled. “Wait here.”

He teleported to the trees, snapping off an appropriate branch, before appearing before Quin again. He broke off the ends until it formed an appropriate crutch shape  Tearing off a strip of leather from his (very expensive) overcoat, he wrapped it around the handle to make a more comfortable grip.

”Its the best I can do in these circumstances,” he sighed. “I know its not the best but – well here you go.”

He handed the crutch to Quin, who grasped it, his eyes wide. “Um – how do you – know how to make one from scratch?”

Lorcan smiled. “I’ve had my fair share of broken limbs. I’ve had to improvise on several occasions when I was in dangerous climates. I’m just grateful we even have sticks. You don’t want to know what I’ve used in the past.”

He glanced towards the trees. “Lets move, lad. Hurry. Things are gonna get worse before they get better. Trust me.”

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Dwaaaaa. Way to melt my heart. 🙂 Quin’ has to make a friend out of Locran before he leaves the castle (whenever that may be)…just has to!

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Thank you for Lorcan’s reaction to Niarok! Brilliant! He greatly appreciates being respected.

He flashed her a sideways smirk. “Hang in there miss.”

YEEEEESSS!!!!!!!! *Squeals* So perfect! 🙂

Niarok

Niarok let a ghost of a smile cross his face when the assassin stood up to the test of fire. He had earned Niarok’s respect.

With Yila gripping his shoulder in a vice, he sheathed his sword as an indication of peace, but kept his eyes trained on the man to make sure he knew Niarok didn’t entirely trust him yet.

”I have experience with medicinal plants and substances, but I’m afraid I do not know what this Mirianweed is. I have never come across it. But – I have treated wolf bites before. So I will try to help you.” The assassin’s eyes flicked to Yila.

Niarok glanced at his sister in time to see her mouth drop open in awe.

He tensed.

Great.

Now Yila was going to fall in love with a man who was mostly likely an assassin. But then again, the assassin had a noble quality beneath all the grimness. Niarok could almost imagine himself becoming friends with him. Not quite, but almost.

The assassin shot Yila a sideways smirk, and Yila blushed redder beneath the fever.

Niarok internalized his wince and the curse that would have quickly followed it. He wasn’t going to let on to the assassin anything that might bother him. Any known intel could be used against him.

Niarok sent his gaze back into the assassin’s, measuring him. The assassin didn’t falter, and Niarok nodded.

“Very well. But I suspect you have little experience treating werewolf bites. Unless I am mistaken, the only way to treat a werewolf bite and save the victim from death is to use an innocuous plant called Mirianweed. So you may try, but I’m not sure you can do any better than me.”

Niarok gauged the assassin’s reaction.

He nodded, then moved quickly away.

Good. He wanted to help.

But he also wasn’t going to do it on the brink of being overcome by a hostile forest.

Niarok followed a few paces behind, supporting Yila. The rest of the senseless rabble stood wide-eyed in various positions, and Niarok noticed for the first time that one of them was missing a leg.

I wonder if it was treatable?

Niarok shook his head slightly, knowing he couldn’t go down that path. Countless times he had let the guilt of a patient’s death or paralysis overcome him.

The assassin also noticed the boy, and stopped to talk to him.

Then he disappeared.

Niarok hardly blinked.

Teleporter.

He had always wanted that ability.

But he got discernment instead, which was far more useful anyway.

When the assassin reappeared, he was carrying a rough branch, which he quickly transformed into a crutch for the man.

Then he ripped a piece of cloth off of what must have been a very expensive jacket.

Niarok’s respect for the man lifted another notch. Perhaps the assassin had decided to leave his past behind. He didn’t seem to be all that concerned about losing his mask, at any rate.

Niarok grunted and adjusted Yila’s arm on his shoulder so that he wouldn’t drop her into the lava. He was the strongest person he had ever met, but after hauling his muscular sister around for a day, his own muscles were not very proud of him.

Whatever. You’ve had it worse.

With the assassin assisting the kid with the missing leg, the weird (and 95% senseless) group started walking at a maddeningly slow pace away from the forest.

Yila

Yila blushed at the man’s glance. His smile was just so… perfect!

She mentally slapped herself.

I’m dying, and now I’m thinking about marrying a handsome guy? 

She wanted to shoot something even more now.

Or maybe hurl a knife at something. Her hand subconsciously went to her belt, but then she remember how swollen her arm was and stopped.

Oh, but he’s so handsome!

Curse this swollen arm! I have knives for a reason!

The assassin and Niarok exchanged a cool discussion which Yila only half payed attention to.

He’s so handsome!

This time she did slap herself.

It was weak, and it mostly just made her arm hurt, but it did the trick.

He’ll be handsome later. Right now he’s just an assassin.

The next few seconds passed in a blur, and soon she realized they were walking.

Niarok supported her weight almost entirely, and she wondered how long she’d been out.

“Wait, didn’t you say I’d be feverish until I die?” she realized.

Niarok glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. “Yes, but as far as everyone else is concerned, no. I want them to think the injury isn’t as bad as it seems.”

“That doesn’t make sense.”

“I know.”

“You don’t say things that don’t make sense.”

“I know.”

Yila glared at him and gestured.

Niarok grunted a curse. Yila chuckled then glared again.

“This castle has some strange… properties.”

Yila raised an eyebrow and rolled her eyes over her shoulder to pointedly glance at the jungle keeping pace with them. When her gaze returned to Niarok’s face, he grinned.

“No, I don’t mean like lava and collapsing ceilings and jungles that sprout out of nowhere and chase you.”

Yila huffed and raised an eyebrow.

“I mean, I think it has healing powers that no one is supposed to know about.”

Niarok showed her his right arm, where a jagged pink scar had formed. She didn’t remember it from anytime before.

Her eyes widened and she looked at him.

“Yesterday. I got this yesterday.”

Niarok stared straight ahead, and Yila thought she might throw up.

Dragon’s cursed breath!

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Whoooa sorry guys that got way longer than I meant for it to…

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@denali-christianson

that’s ok. it was epic. What’s with Yila’s parts always ending with dragon’s breath though?

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@emily-waldorf

Oh shoot, did I do that twice in a row?

*Goes and reads past five posts*

I did.

Whoops.

Nothing, that’s just her go-to curse-word substitute…

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

*tumbles in late. Again.* HEEEY what’d I miss?!

*OooOoooh* @everybody’s posts 😂

Well, Qatar (or maybe Amar–which do you like better?) is the first character to do this to me, lol. So, I think I’m figuring out this castle pretty well, except that your characters don’t seem to be in the same place/situation as the rest of us… ?

I like Qatar, it just sounds and looks so birdlike and fantastical 🙂
    Lol yep! I was gonna pull them out but decided to give them their first kiss before I did that. Like MONTHS AGO!!!! And they’re in a kinda trippy, deamlike alternate universe now…*I swear I’m so close this time they’re really gonna kiss…please 🥺*

DON’T YOU DARE HURT MY EHUD!!!!! I NEED HIM TO BE HAPPY AND KISS ROSY!!!! IF YOU HURT HIM I’LL— (Pauses to think of a good threat)– I’LL PUT BROCCOLI IN YOUR PILLOWCASE! (Note to self, leave threatening to Liorah XD) *Calms down slightly* That was awesome though! It really had me on the edge of my seat!

Lol don’t worry, they’ll live! (Probably!) *checks pillowcase*
    Thanks! (I love how your princess was so annoying our resident assassin Lorcan nearly cried for joy when she disappears LOL! That was the funniest thing to read @irishcelticredflowercrown)

11:59 pm
    A scared cry I’d never mistake strangles by blood as something snaps past the sheet of webs.
    I swear I’ll make it wish it was never born if it touches him. Can’t see a cruddy thing in this pitch! The spiderthread mesh is a kind of a electric wire, sends a hard shock through anything trying to break through. That makes me a bloody mess but I can’t shoot through when his voice is that close.
    Everything that happened, his words resurging in my brain.
    ‘Because I love you, Rosy!’
    I send another punch through the sick wire mesh, the pain better than thinking as it always is. Curse it, that hurts! All the mistakes I’ve made and I still don’t know if meeting him was my worst or my best. Que mas da? But I can’t lose him now.
    “Shoot it! Just shoot it, Rosy–Ack!
    Whatever happens after this, I swear I’m going to kill it.
    If I mean to save him I have to trust he knows what he’s doing. Billions of times he’s managed in fight so logically speaking I should. I don’t have feelings, everybody knows. The pause is just to reassess.
    Click out. No, click in I have to click i/out
    ‘You don’t have feelings.’
    If I fail…/failure isn’t an option/but if I fail…?
    With a curse I fire.
    The whole thing is black as the pitch in hell even when I break through. Crap and I thought the worst was getting in. Everything shaky, shouldn’t have beaten the wall that hard now I’m something in a bad way. Get on the job like Santa Muerte.
    RosyRosyRosy!” Not most people can really get a good grip on pinpointing sounds but you get good to live when you get my job. Level down, something of an echo (he hasn’t stopped screaming). But there’s a hissing scrit-scrape somewhere behind me. Handle that later.
    What’s lucky is I have a lighter in my pocket, not much good in the black but better than nothing. Flick of light and larger shadows for one hand, gun in the other.
    “I’m right here, carino,” I’m saying slowly, floor uneven, cracking. My foot sticks on something; spiderthread… “it’s alright, Ehud,”
    Foot near slips on an edge and I get a yelp. Lighter good for nada but a silhouette but it’s not like I can mistake the scene.
    “What are you doing dangling off a precipice, carino?” I say, completely deadpan. I’m sure he’s giving that dumb, cute grin even if I can’t see it.
    “Oh…ya’know just, heheh…hanging around…”
    “Very responsible.”
    “Don’t worry, I…think I got the hang of it…”
    If he feels alright enough to make horrible puns he’ll be just fine. Not exactly what I expected but as long as he’s alive I can leave the monster for later. Gun’s still ready.
    “What do you need to get up, carino?” He’s obviously stuck if he hasn’t scrambled up yet. What a time to lose spidermonkey skills.
    “Uh…can you give me your hand?…I think…I think I’m still hung up on the–”
    “Just stop.” I’m so glad he’s fine. Fine, so he’s stuck but he’s alive and punning, I get on my knees and try to grab his hand. I end up swatting two or three webs out of my face. Too dark to see but I finally grasp a hand…as cold as metal claws.
    “Twice in a row,” It says in his voice, shifting eyes that don’t have pupils rolling out of the black at me as the voice turns metallic. “Bad move, Rosy”
    An electric shock knocks out my grip and the gun twists down just as I follow. Last thing before hitting a tangle of wires is a hissing, clicking noise almost a word,
    “Midnight.”

@rose-colored-fancy

😇🤭🤣😈😈😈😈😈

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 1,493 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest