fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,201 through 1,215 (of 1,251 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Aww, yes!! It’s time to write Acyn again!! XD

Acyn

My friends were all horribly stupid. I was thoroughly convinced of this fact as I had just literally grabbed Sahar by the collar to keep her from storming, full speed, into a dark and foreboding tunnel. Typical.

Liorah and Ferran had already gone inside, so there was nothing I could do about that. Besides, it would be funny to see what kind of a mess Liorah was getting herself into this time.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Why couldn’t I have friends who had a tendency to stay inside whenever possible? Nooo, I had to take care of these idiots who rushed into an unexplored tunnel without so much as looking inside.

Sahar was still staring at the tunnel entrance.

“Don’t worry, they’ll be fine,” I said. Liorah always landed on her feet. Metaphorically speaking. Literally speaking, she usually landed on her face.

“Oh, I know. I’ve been friends with Liorah for years, she always gets out of trouble as fast as she gets into it,” she said, lightly.

She had shoved her hands in her pockets and was absently flapping them, so her skirt billowed like wings.

“It has pockets?” I asked, knowing what her reaction would be.

She grinned, absolutely delighted.

“Yes, lookit!!” She flapped the skirt even more vigorously, then dug in her pocket and produced a handful of things she’d collected.

There were a few pebbles in odd shapes, shiny beads, hairpins, one or two loose coins, and several indistinguishable shiny objects.

“I didn’t know magpies had pockets,” I said, teasingly.

“Only this one,” she said, happily, then jumped off the boulder and ran toward the person who had been standing near the tunnel entrance. Or exit. Depending on the context. Currently, it was neither. It was a ghost of the past passing. Or some such rubbish.

Her skirt and loose blouse billowed and her anklets, bangles, and scarf jangled like a drawer of metal tools being violently shaken.

With a sigh, I went after her, at a slower pace. Another odd thing about my friends, why did they insist on running? I considered it a positively sinful waste of energy to run unless something was chasing you. And even then…

I was still mentally weighing which would be worse, being mauled by a predator or running, when Sahar skidded to a stop in front of the man and spoke in a positive flood of words.

“Hello, I’m Sahar! What’s your name? It’s nice to meet you! Where are you from and–”

The poor man looked positively overwhelmed and I shot him an amused look. Sahar had that effect on people.

The man was even shorter than Sahar, and I noticed he was on crutches. My eyes curiously trailed to his feet, then I noticed he was missing his left leg below the knee. Oh, that was interesting!

I bit my tongue. I had never gotten to ask anyone about amputations before and I dearly wanted to. But after that other incident, Magister Azriel, the scribe I was apprenticed to, had informed me that it was considered extremely rude to comment on other people’s medical conditions even if I “just wanted to know” and it was “for science.” Imagine! Shocking.

Still, I supposed I wouldn’t have liked it in his place so I didn’t comment or stare. Sahar was blissfully unaware. Or pretended to be, I’d never know.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Quin stepped back a pace as Sahar came babbling toward him.

“Um, hi…hey. I’m Quin. Quin Miller. What’s—what are your names?”

his quick eyes glanced over the group, and paused at Acyn. He seemed to catch his thought, and his own eyes traveled down to the missing limb. his cheeks reddened and he looked back up at the group with one final, misplaced, “hi.”

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

*is squashed enough to feel sufficiently welcome* Thank you, Cathy! Somebody made the pfp for me. I will…try not to get all those people confused. Are your characters MCs or SCs?

Wow that’s so cool!
    Lol, it’s a lotta peeps! My darling kleptomaniac stole the spotlight so much he’s now an MC with Eleazar from a WIP with my brother @rusted-knight, but Rosario the possible sociopath is still a (very important) SC.

*Hugs back. Your shoulder gets squashed, and I step on Cathy’s foot* oops.

not an uncommon experience for me LOL 😀

Wait a minute… I am so confused. In my above post it says that I quoted Rose and then Neasa, and I thought that I quote Cathy (Whose quote is attributed to Rose) and Rose (whose quote is attributed to Neasa)…am I missing something, or did the website have a fluke???

Lol that’d be the Internet PacMan that haunts the StoryEmbers site! Be sure you ALWAYS copy your post before you post it in case the PacMan devours that too 😉

11:55 pm
    A thin thread of steel-silver spiderweb is dangling off the Bridge. Maybe this is it. Maybe…
    I’m not ready to die yet.
    I peek over the edge just as spiderthread weaves around the rails, this is so creepy, we gotta decide on something soon. Or we’re just gonna die anyway idk. Do I get a last meal or something? I’ll settle for a lollipop…
    How’d Marsha end up knowing where to find me before–wait, we were separated about the same time the shapeshifter…And how’d Lord Castl–Oh. Oh nonono stop the bus stop the train I wanna get off!
    “I never got out of the simulation,” I mumble outloud, rubbing my head as if I’ll feel wires or something, maybe a dull pain in my hand. “because you never got out of the simulation because this whole place is the simulation and not just this whole place, Lord Castle’s the simulation machine which means–!”
    I freeze at slithery, screaky noises running right over every edge of the web and–there’s a wire, several wires, crisscrossing over my feet!
    “Ros–” CRACK!!! And Ka-pow-y the sky does a backflip and smacks my head into the floor, making me nearly strangled by the collar of my jacket, my hood yanking hard back. I don’t wanna die idontwannadieidontwannadie!!! There’s a jolt all through my leg and I give a cry, there’s something thin and spindly at the bottom and the Bridge is all cracking.
    “You’re not supposed to cheat!” I scream, and nearly grab the rails but kinda hard when you’re dangling from a precipice into who knows what, hauled back by your best friend by your hood and yanked forward by a giant spider web wire like I’m the rope in tug-a-war or something!
    “Who said anything about cheating?” Lord Castle’s voice drawls through the air. Crack! A chunk of the rails and the floor right under me crumbles off and there’s suddenly nothing but air under my feet and cord strangling my leg. I don’t wanna look down! Don’t look down don’t look down.
    I looked down!
    “I’m just letting things take their course,” It continued in Miss Murder’s voice.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

Lorcan

Lorcan was honestly still trying to wrap his head around the two newcomers when Liorah and Ferran reappeared. Thankfully. Well not that he cared really.

And it appeared that they knew Sahar and Acyn. Because of course. Of course they did.

‘Flipping eejits,’ Lorcan muttered under his breath. He couldn’t handle anymore idiots in his life now. He had experienced too many of them already. And his pride had been shattered more than once in a matter of hours. That had never happened to him before.

Plus he was quite sure that Sahar and Acyn were mocking him. He could tell by their secret smiles and sparkling glances.

Liorah shoved past him to greet another new fella. Lorcan rolled his eyes. Such a drama queen.

Then Liorah entered one of the tunnels. Ferran followed her. And the wall sealed shut behind them.

There was silence interrupted only by his rapid heartbeat. What just-?

He blinked, tilting his head as he surveyed the spot where they had vanished. He moved towards the wall, placing his palm on it to see if he could sense any life within it.

Nothing. Just solid concrete wall.

He took a step back, pulling in a breath. “They’re gone,” he said darkly.

They were gone. Just like that. Poof. Nil. Zero. As if they had never existed.

A smile curled his lips. Jeeney mackers, this was unreal. That blasted girl was truly gone. Finally! He felt like weeping for joy. No more humiliation at the hands of a human teenager. No more haughty cackling. No more Liorah.

Honestly he had never met anyone more infuriating thann her. Thank Anu she was gone!

”Well would ya look at that,” he said smoothly. “Them eejits have vanished. Won’t be worrying about those two anymore I suppose.”

He turned to the stranger hiding in the shadows. “You there,” he called out. “Care to introduce yourself?”

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Klein walked through the rubble. The dust had mostly settled by now, coating his armor in a light grey layer. And it was quiet. Far too quiet. His experience told him that there was no way all the enemies had been killed in the blast. A few had survived and were either still recovering or repositioning.

To his left, there was movement. Snapping his rifle up, Klein moved in. It was one of the slimes, oozing out of a crack. As he approached it, it shot out a fanged tongue much like a gecko. Smacking it aside, he pulled the trigger. The next second he was thrown backward. The beast had blown up. It had gone and pulled a jihadi on him. Rolling on impact, Klein quickly stood up. All that remained of the slime was a few flames.

Klein counted his blessings. In his early days in the Corps, he had been wounded in such an attack. The jihadist had used ceramic ball bearings and a few cans of butane. Klein escaped the fireball with bruises, a few cuts and a hole in his leg. The bearing had gone clean through making the healing process simpler.

A proximity alert pinged in his ear. Turning, Klein saw the thermal image. Several forms were in the amphitheater. Advancing cautiously, he saw the group. There were four people. The only one he recognized was the assassin Lorcan. Two were dressed like Liorah and her companion. The last was entirely new. He couldn’t see his face but Klein clearly saw the one leg.

This brought questions to his mind as he half slid half climbed down the embankment. If this was one of the last exploration vessels, why was there such numbers of obviously genetical mutated animals and total lack of even basic prosthetics? Why were the clothes so widely varied? And more importantly, who were the two psionic fighters? Were they true psionics or was it one of the more advance weapons the aliens used?

For now he had a more pressing question.

“Is anyone injured?” he asked.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Sahar

Perhaps I had been talking a little too fast. That happened sometimes. I shut up abruptly.

“Um, hi…hey. I’m Quin. Quin Miller. What’s—what are your names?” He said,

He noticed Acyn looking at his missing leg and blushed. Of course, I had noticed but I wasn’t about to show it. If Acyn was going to be rude I’d–

“I’m Acyn, you know that’s Sahar. That’s Lorcan, and I’m afraid I don’t know any of the others since we coincidentally just dropped from the ceiling,” he said, dryly, nodding back at Lorcan.

Quin looked at Acyn as if he was seriously doubting his sanity.

I smothered a laugh.

“We did! It was actually pretty fun,” I said, cheerfully.

There was a loud bang in the distance and I clapped my hands over my ears. This place was odd.

Acyn shot a glance toward the noise but otherwise ignored it.

Lorcan placed a hand on the wall behind which Liorah and Ferran had vanished.

“They’re gone,” he said, flatly.

Acyn raised his eyebrows and nodded slowly, as though admiring Lorcan’s abilities of deduction.

I grinned but tried to hide it behind my hand.

“They’re gone, I mean, I never could have guessed. I can’t imagine–” Acyn started,

I hurried to interrupt him because it was only going to get worse from there.

“I think they’ll be fine,” I said, barely managing the hesitation in my voice.

Then Lorcan smiled, rather triumphantly. I frowned and stiffened. That wasn’t necessary.

”Well would ya look at that,” he said smoothly. “Them eejits have vanished. Won’t be worrying about those two anymore I suppose.”

Acyn crossed his arms and stared Lorcan down, unimpressed.

“When it comes to that, I just might worry because as it just happens, they’re my friends, even if they keep getting me in trouble. I might agree with you on the fact that Liorah is an idiot, but that doesn’t mean I should rejoice at their sudden disappearance.”

Said in shorter terms, Acyn thought he was the only one allowed to insult his friends. But he had never once said anything concisely.

I tightened the knot on my scarf anxiously.

“Everything’s fine. They’ll be great,” I said, not believing it one bit.

“She should be the Princess of Disaster instead of the Lehabim,” Acyn grumbled, trying to see if there was any way to pry the wall apart.

I laughed, and even to me, it sounded a little hysterical.

There was a high, sad whine. I spun around to locate it.

“Azar!” I said, delightedly, then bent down to call her to me.

She edged closer, tail drooping. She shot a look back at the wall and whined again,

I sat down and let her climb into my lap, even though she was far too big to fit comfortably.

I ruffled her ears, talking to her all the while in Orme. It was virtually impossible to speak to animals in Common.

The large metal-plated-person-thingy called out,

“Is anyone injured?”

I shook my head, though my view was rather obscured.

“Only the eternal fracturing of my will to live,” Acyn said, without looking up.

________

I just remembered nobody ever told Lorcan that Liorah was royalty XD That’s going to be quite a shock XD

@emily-waldorf

Quin reminds me of this one character I’m writing! That character has a bunch of pretty noticeable scars and everyone is always asking him about it, which really annoys him since he really doesn’t want to talk about it. So his answers to “What happened?” range from the vastly improbable to the strikingly mundane XD So he’d generally either reply something like “I fell into a bramble bush” or “I was attacked by a bear” with a perfectly deadpan expression  XD And nobody knows what actually happened so they can’t call him out even though it’s such a blindingly obvious lie XD

Anyway, that’s always fun to write XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy

I just remembered nobody ever told Lorcan that Liorah was royalty XD That’s going to be quite a shock XD

Omigosh this is going to be hysterical🤣

Lorcan

Acyn crossed his arms, his gaze turning cool as he regarded Lorcan. “When it comes to that, I just might worry because as it just happens, they’re my friends, even if they keep getting me in trouble. I might agree with you on the fact that Liorah is an idiot, but that doesn’t mean I should rejoice at their sudden disappearance.”

“Everything’s fine. They’ll be great,” Sahar reassured him.

“She should be the Princess of Disaster instead of the Lehabim,” Acyn grumbled.

Lorcan was sure he had misheard him. He was silent for a few heartbeats as Acyn and Sahar fussed over Ferran’s abandoned dog.

“Is anyone injured?”, Klein called out.

“Only the eternal fracturing of my will to live,” Acyn answered.

Lorcan smirked. “Told you so lad.”

Acyn stared up at him blankly. Lorcan stood above him, meeting his eyes with a steely gaze. “You must think me heartless. Thats all righ’ with me. I don’t except any less or more from anyone. But know this when I say that I don’t care for anyone other than my own brethren. Least of all your two mates. That is a fact.”

Lorcan folded his arms. “So. What’s that you said about Liorah? A Princess?”

Acyn nodded.

Lorcan raised an eyebrow. He paused for a long moment before letting out a sharp chuckle. “You’re pulling my leg. No way.”

But Acyn didn’t look like he was joking. In fact, he looked outright confused at Lorcan’s reaction.

Lorcan shook his head in disbelief. “Stop. She’s royalty?”He rubbed his forehead, laughing hysterically. “That spoilt brat – no wonder she was acting all high n’ mighty with me. It makes so much sense now.”

He let out a scoff. “Well, I can assure you that I have no respect for royalty. Especially your little friend. So don’t be expecting any gasps of wonder from me.”

Strangely, a part of him wished Liorah was still here so he could mock her to her face. That would show her.

He stopped laughing, his tone turning serious. “But I don’t rejoice when people vanish. I can tell you that for a fact. In fact part of my job is finding missing people.”

Lorcan sighed, his mind wandering to his current mission. The one that was now indefinitely delayed because of this flipping castle. “I’m looking for someone right now who’s wanted by the government. I doubt I’ll ever find her though.”

He stared at Acyn darkly. “But I have to. The fate of my people depends on it. So you see? I might be an assassin, but I have loved ones too. I know what its like to care about people.”

He paced the floor. “If you ask me, I think your mates are grand. No way would Liorah allow a wall to finish her off. That much I know. She’s probably home by now. And Ferran too.”

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Neasa.
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Omigosh this is going to be hysterical

LOL, that was the best!

Also, with every passing post I hear his accent clearer XD

Acyn

“You must think me heartless. Thats all righ’ with me. I don’t except any less or more from anyone. But know this when I say that I don’t care for anyone other than my own brethren. Least of all your two mates. That is a fact. So. What’s that you said about Liorah? A Princess?”

I nodded absently, still examining the door for a way to get it open.

Lorcan laughed.

“You’re pulling my leg. No way.”

I looked over my shoulder, eyebrows raised in surprise.

“You didn’t see– she didn’t tell you?”

That was exactly the type of thing she’d do, and silently glory in the fact that he didn’t know who he was insulting.

If he had been from Yerasht, he could have seen her tribe and position at a glance from the chain on her forehead, but he knew nothing about that.

Lorcan shook his head in disbelief.

“Stop. She’s royalty?” He laughed, almost hysterically, and I grinned.

“That spoilt brat – no wonder she was acting all high n’ mighty with me. It makes so much sense now.”

“Yes, she’s royalty. Her Royal Highness, Princess Liorah, daughter of Shemaiah of the Lehabim, second of the Goldenblooded. I generally just call her ‘stupid’. That works too,” I said.

(Author’s note: Goldenblooded is a Lehabim term used to describe the direct line of ascension. So the Goldenblooded are those in line for the throne.)

He let out a scoff. “Well, I can assure you that I have no respect for royalty. Especially your little friend. So don’t be expecting any gasps of wonder from me.”

“Don’t worry,” I said, mockingly. “No matter how much contempt you have for royalty, Liorah will always have more.”

I glanced at Sahar.

“When was the last time she almost got disowned?”

“Last week,” Sahar said, without looking up.

“But I don’t rejoice when people vanish. I can tell you that for a fact. In fact, part of my job is finding missing people. I’m looking for someone right now who’s wanted by the government. I doubt I’ll ever find her though.”

I made a great show of thinking deeply.

“As far as I remember your previous descriptor was ‘Assassin’ so theoretically, I don’t think the ‘missing people’ you find are too thrilled with it. In fact, I would go as far as to say that they’d probably refer to remain missing.”

I was walking on thin ice but that was hardly new. After all, the worst he could do was outright kill me and that would almost be a favor.

“But I have to. The fate of my people depends on it. So you see? I might be an assassin, but I have loved ones too. I know what it’s like to care about people.”

I hummed, unconvinced.

“Caring about people. Sounds brilliant, you’ll have to show me how someday. Actually, never mind, I have better things to do.”

“Stop being so dramatic,” Sahar said, getting up and dusting the debris off her skirt.

“If you ask me, I think your mates are grand. No way would Liorah allow a wall to finish her off. That much I know. She’s probably home by now. And Ferran too.”

“I’m not worried about Ferran,” I clarified. “I’m worried about Ferran having to supervise Liorah. She has this horrid tendency to drag everyone after her into trouble. Though some go willingly,” I shot Sahar a glance and she returned it with a grin.

“Your life would be much more fun if you had an impulsive thought for once.”

I pulled a face.

“The thought alone makes me feel ill. We’ve established Ferran will be fine, and we’ve established that Liorah will do everything in her power to die dramatically. What’s the course of action?”

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Lol that’d be the Internet PacMan that haunts the StoryEmbers site! Be sure you ALWAYS copy your post before you post it in case the PacMan devours that too

Ok, thanks! I will have to remember to be on the look out for him.

My darling kleptomaniac stole the spotlight so much he’s now an MC with Eleazar

I have an SC that arm wrestled me into making him a MC. 🙂

Quin reminds me of this one character I’m writing! That character has a bunch of pretty noticeable scars and everyone is always asking him about it, which really annoys him since he really doesn’t want to talk about it. So his answers to “What happened?” range from the vastly improbable to the strikingly mundane XD So he’d generally either reply something like “I fell into a bramble bush” or “I was attacked by a bear” with a perfectly deadpan expression XD And nobody knows what actually happened so they can’t call him out even though it’s such a blindingly obvious lie XD Anyway, that’s always fun to write XD

He sounds really cool! If you’ll tell me what he won’t, how did he get the scars? He sounds a bit more flamboyant than Quin, but just as reluctant to talk about where his injuries came from, and sensitive about people being able to see the marks of them. Will you bring him into the Castle? What’s his name?

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

I have an SC that arm wrestled me into making him a MC.

LOL Ehud is not the first SC to MC for me don’t ya just love it when they do that to you?

11:56 pm
    Crack! That’s two seconds and down Santa Muerte as the Bridge falls out. Hurt my Ehud I’ll break you. One jolt more and the ground drops out, nada. Only thing I’m holding onto is his hood, my gun and all the ‘Hail Mary’s’ Santa Maria can give. I know a rush of a hard fall but this isn’t that. Even with the daze knocking adrenaline through this ranks hazy and wrong before we hit six feet.
    Just seconds, everything fades before we collide with the endless ground…

11:57 pm
    It’s cold, wet and smelly.
    Miss Kaleidoscope Monster and Lord Castle…she was…Lord Castle?
    And Marsha? Just a program…or glitch…or code….?
    I feel my fingers drag through grimy…cement? No…uh, rust, rust what…? Wait how am I still alive?
    I prop up on my hands and where the heck and what the heck and ugh I’m so dizzy…What just happened? I’m in the dark, it’s dark and dusty and wow it’s large I think I’m in a chasm. If I stare up I can see the sky, clear as daylight like it’s fresh polished or something. This was…this is were we started. What’s…?
    “Rosy..?” I need to get out…
    There’s a muffled curse (just because it’s in another language I still know you’re cursing Rosy!) I think from somewhere behind me but everything’s echoey and I don’t wanna die here. Can’t see anything here! Even that bit of sky above it’s too far away to be more than a twinkle. Wait…it wasn’t like that before, was it? Am I going crazy or is the sky getting smaller?!
    ‘In the end all fade
    Fade and all alone, alone.’
    It kinda echos off the walls so soft I might be hearing things.
    “I don’t see you, carino, do you have any light?” Shoot, for once in my entire existence my pockets are empty, go figure. There’s a kinda, broken violin scritty noise and something sticky everywhere but whatever..
    “I think I–Ack!” Before I could say jeepers something hard and pointed rammed me down, digging into my shoulder and smelling like lead poisoning. I coulda jerked back but something caught my leg I’m gonna die! Inches away from my face and looking worse than the bleached floor of a doctor’s office its way too Botoxed, motionless face leers over me.
    “Ehud, are you alright?! Answer me!” I usually can’t hear the fear in Rosy’s voice even when she’s scared but I can’t mistaken it now.
    “My job,” Its paralyzed face doesn’t even move when it talks in a vibrating, metallic voice that sounded almost like Miss Monster’s! I can’t get out, I gotta get out! “is to test characters, see what they do in certain situations.”
    Another sharp, spindly thing jabs right above my head so quick I give a cry. Its twenty different, color-fragmented eyes blink with a little pop.
    “But with you I have to set up situations to get certain results–” There’s a springy thud behind me like something hitting really thick spiderwebs, idk if Rosy’ll make it in time! And there’s also something whimpering through gasps and…oh that’s me. I don’t wanna die!
    “It’s nothing personal, it’s what the fans want..” What the heck is it talking about? There’s another thud I have to stall enough I just have to stall enough I don’t wanna die I just have to stall enough.
    “Are you gonna…gonna kill me?”
    11:58 pm
    It gives a shrieking laugh over me, incising its leg into my shoulder. I think the floor bent a little, jerking a full inch and ten years off my life with an evil crack! Now the only light is from its glowing kaleidoscope eyes so close to my face I think I’m gonna puke. There’s a desperately loud thud and another curse, she’s not gonna fire through cos she’s afraid she’ll hit me but idk how she’s gonna get in any other way…
    “Of course not, you’re a little favorite…” Creak! I yelp as cracks like wire vibrate dust out from under me. I can’t see anything except its eyes I’m just guessing things it’s like drowning or being semi-conscious.
    “Let go of him, you–” Let’s just call the rest of that “censored” and I didn’t hear it because with a loud screaming snap the floor broke under me. If you’ve ever sent yourself hurling through the air there’s no experience quite like the dizzy nauseous the fact that your heart just completely stopped and entire second and oxygen just runs out no matter how much you breath. And there’s no experience quite like it except of course falling through the air; in that case you times everything by a panic attack and feeling stuck in slow motion and more angst than somebody figuring out your secret candy stash.
    And just like that I was dangling over a webbed precipice in the dark by my leg.
    I hate Mondays.

11:59 pm

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Cathy.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Quin looked from one face to the other in confusion and disbelief.

I’m dreaming.

The tunnel that had turned into a wall shifted and cracked, and he jumped and started forward.

Locran snickered. [or should it be Acyn? or neither?–sorry if I desecrated anybody’s character]

He hobbled toward the little knot of strangers, and came to a stop next to Sahar. His nervous glance took in Locran and he frowned.

“Yeah, I’d introduce myself. I’m Quin. You are…Locran?”

“Got it,” grunted the assassin. “Where’d you come from?”

“I have no idea. I’m still trying to figure out if it’s a dream or not.” He cast an uneasy glance at the wall. “Besides,” he added, “I don’t see what business it is of yours.”

Locran’s eyebrows shot up. “Look, I’ve got a mission to accomplish, so if you don’t mind, I’m going to accomplish it.”

“I can hear you just fine without your having to yell, so if–”

“Quin. Hey, Quin,” interrupted Sahar. He at her dark eyes , and slowly forced himself to relax.

“Right.” he turned his back on Locran without another word.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

LOL Ehud is not the first SC to MC for me don’t ya just love it when they do that to you?

Well, Qatar (or maybe Amar–which do you like better?) is the first character to do this to me, lol.

So, I think I’m figuring out this castle pretty well, except that your characters don’t seem to be in the same place/situation as the rest of us… ?

I’m really starting to like Locran (even his name is great!), even if Quin isn’t hitting it off well.

@everybody–

would it be okay if I eventually introduce Quin’s older brother (Qatar…or maybe Amar–which do you like better?) into the castle? Or are there too many characters as it is?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

He sounds really cool! If you’ll tell me what he won’t, how did he get the scars? He sounds a bit more flamboyant than Quin, but just as reluctant to talk about where his injuries came from, and sensitive about people being able to see the marks of them. Will you bring him into the Castle? What’s his name?

LOL, I wish I could XD (Multiple different instances, each worse than the last! 😀 ) The problem is, he’s the center of quite a few plot twists, so anything I say here will spoil the actual story XD

Besides that, I know very little about him. He’s instrumental to the plot and gets a lot of screentime but I know like three things about him and two of them might be lies XD I plan to write his POV in the third book (He’s switched roles so many times, but he finally manipulated me into making him an MC XD)

You know that one character everyone has? The one that whenever you get a really dramatic, angsty backstory/plot idea you immediately assign it to them? Yeah, this is that character XD He’s severely messed up and I’m constantly torn between feeling sorry for him and gleefully thinking of ways to make it worse XD

I’ve voted him ‘most likely to be immortal’ based on how many times he’s cheated death. (I stopped counting, but it’s hovering somewhere in the upper twenties XD)

As for more flamboyant than Quin? Mmhh… No, not really XD Maybe a little, but he’s actually a pretty quiet, sarcastic character (He and Liorah are hilarious/terrible together XD)

I’m going to shut up now because I’m going to spoil everything XD

@everybody–

would it be okay if I eventually introduce Quin’s older brother (Qatar…or maybe Amar–which do you like better?) into the castle? Or are there too many characters as it is?

Yay!! Bring him in, that’s awesome! Nope, we could use some more characters!

I like both names, actually. Amar sounds a little softer, while Qatar sounds more forceful. Both are really cool though!

@this-is-not-an-alien

DON’T YOU DARE HURT MY EHUD!!!!! I NEED HIM TO BE HAPPY AND KISS ROSY!!!! IF YOU HURT HIM I’LL— (Pauses to think of a good threat)– I’LL PUT BROCCOLI IN YOUR PILLOWCASE!

(Note to self, leave threatening to Liorah XD)

*Calms down slightly* That was awesome though! It really had me on the edge of my seat!

Neasa

@emily-waldorf

I’m really starting to like Locran (even his name is great!), even if Quin isn’t hitting it off well.

Aw thanks, that means a lot haha 🙂 yeeahh ooh that was pure awkward XD but I love it! I can’t wait to get to know Quin.

Lorcan

Well that was pure rude. Lorcan stared daggers at Quin as he turned away from him. Plus – he never yelled. Ever. Except when he was giving orders. But he had found that speaking softly always got people the most.

He slipped his hands in his pocket and drawled. “Just trying to make conversation, lad. Anything could happen – so if I were you, I wouldn’t make a direct enemy of me. Bad idea is all I can say. I’m your best bet if you want to survive this place of death.”

He turned to Acyn and Sahar. “As for your questions-,” he sighed heavily. “An assassin’s job is to track people down and kill them. I can find anyone, track them down anywhere, no matter how many false names and addresses and disguises they have. This may come as a shock to you wee kids, but I can do other things apart from killing.”

Lorcan folded his arms, staring into the distance. “It’s the most important mission of my life. Everything depends on finding that girl. This particular mission is no different from the usual, except for the second part of the job. You get me?”

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Aw thanks, that means a lot haha 🙂 yeeahh ooh that was pure awkward XD but I love it! I can’t wait to get to know Quin.

Od course! Yeah…that wasn’t strictly characteristic for Quin, but I needed some way for him to start interacting, otherwise there’s this shy new kid who doesn’t say Jack Squat for 5 pages…wonderful. I really hope Quin and Locran end up being good friends. (Ig that’s up to me XD)

Quin

“Just trying to make conversation, lad. Anything could happen – so if I were you, I wouldn’t make a direct enemy of me. Bad idea is all I can say. I’m your best bet if you want to survive this place of death.”

Quin’s face flushed scarlet. He opened his mouth to retort, but either his better sense of his embarrassment thought better of it, and he shut his mouth without answering. He looked down at his feet but he could feel that every eye in the whole awful group of  strangers was looking at him–he could feel their heat on the back of his neck.

well, except Sahar’s, maybe.

He thought about glancing up to try and meet her kind, dark eyes,  but that would mean possibly meeting Locran’s, too.

He edged his arms in, trying to fold them across his stomach, the way he always did when he was lost or bewildered, but his crutches got in the way.

That’s the worst thing about these stupid crutches.

Oh, Quin! Just get over yourself. Pleaseeeee!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,201 through 1,215 (of 1,251 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest