fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 2,509 total)
  • Author
    Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

Lorcan

What in Anu’s name was this?

I stared at the girl hard as she chortled away, not a care in the world. I was used to enemies and non-enemies quivering before me.

“And who are you?” The girl looked me up and down

I almost laughed. ‘Is this a joke human? I think you all know exactly who I am. Everyone and their blind and deaf mother knows who <i>I</i> am!’

The girl – Liorah – looked so amused I felt ready to smack her.

They didn’t know who I was? I wanted to cry with disbelief. What planet was I on?

Unless – I wasn’t on Earth anymore. These people were wearing strange attire after all, as if they were from the Middle Ages.

Could it be?

I pushed my uncertainty aside. I smiled mockingly beneath my mask, my eyes fixed on them like a hawk. ‘They call me the Phantom Ranger. Perhaps you’ve heard of that name?‘

Liorah pretended to think. ‘Umm let me see. Nope! Doesn’t ring any bells unfortunately.’

I tilted my head at her. I was certainly liking this arrogant girl less and less. ‘I am the High Queen’s most esteemed assassin and spy. I have killed more people than you can count on your fingers.’

’Oh. May I ask how?’ She demanded. ‘Let me guess. Using your <i>death stare</i>?!

’Liorah!’ The boy beside her snapped. ‘Don’t provoke him! Please!’

I smiled and let out a soft chuckle. Perhaps this was going to be fun after all.

The molecules in the air hummed as I called to them mentally. I vanished into darkness and reappeared right in front of the girl, my throat wrapped around her neck. She choked as I lifted her, smacking her hands against me desperately. The others shouted in horror and drew their weapons.

’Like this,’ I whispered. Then I dropped her. She scrambled away from me, grasping her throat. Her eyes were wide with shock and fear.

I dusted my hands off. ‘Seeing as we are now acquainted with one another, and are stuck in this hellhole for who know how long, you may call me Lorcan.’

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Ack! Dang I am late! XD

Rosario: Female, teens. (I don’t know exactly how old she is. Cathy, help me out?) Dark, curly hair. Dark eyes. Intimidating and cold. She scares me, but I still love her XD

Seventeen! A year older than Ehud so she can momfriend him lol.

Hi ya’ll @irishcelticredflowercrown @sparrowhawke WELCOME ABOARD!!!
    LOL Liorah actually stopped screaming to pet the dog! Ferran seems to be a very good influence XD

That’s not the memory I’d have wanted to start with.
    But it’s over now, I guess for now. That’s the first one, I wonder how many Miss Monster plans to put me through? I stare at the compass in my hand that still smells like broken promises. It still points North though, that gives me a sense of direction.
    The sky looks like a clean slate except for a couple things.
    I can almost just see the Bridge ahead through the open door. Where I’m standing is, well, for all accounts it looks like the old apartment, about as horribly kept as I ever remember it. The door is still open where she left, she never closed the door behind her. My dad would’ve been in a puddle over there on that rickety old couch, kinda scary when he’s like that. He’d probably sob for a while but if anybody bothers him he might start throwing stuff. Enoch always dragged me out of the room whenever he had that look, his eyes would look dilated.
    It’s just a memory…Is this the life I’m fighting to return to?
    Am I just being curious or do I really think there’s something to look forward to?
    “Well, here goes…” I mumble “Alright, where’s my next memory?!”
    I expect some clue or something and…yeah that happened…

8:06 pm
    This plan might have been nostalgia more than sense. Chale, they pat down the worst way I’ve met. No efficiency, I barely had to hide my knife, my gun. They seem to rely on dealing with sheep, sale.
    Sharp suits assure me all fine as they blindfold, ziptie me. Sin duda alguna. Road twists and turns, noise becomes less and less. I would say fifteen minitos to get there. Plenty of time, plenty of leverage to snap free. I keep my hands behind my back and everything as if a lamb.
    It slows to a stop, por supuesto. Seconds. Sound of gravel, then the door opens. Hard to pay attention to the noises because Marsha hasn’t stopped blubbering distractingly. Probably, I’m top quiet for her to know I’m beside her unless she’s in enough senses to feel the close proximity through body heat.
    “Come on, get out kids.” Well about time for that smooth cheerfulness to die like the heroines in a crappy distopian novel from a dime-store shelf. Yanked up by my elbow it takes every remaining self-control to avoid snapping el cochino’s neck. Better be worth it, this had so better be worth it.

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Bethany
    @sparrowhawke

<b>Torsten</b>

I had never run so fast in my life. Which does not mean I was actually running fast. We shetts are not known for our speed, and compared to any other shett I was slower than a rock.

How ironic it was that I was now being chased by sentient rocks. Giants, golems, <i>rumi</i>–whatever they were called I didn’t want to meet them. They had been asleep for a thousand years, and I remembered how angry my father was when he was just woken up from a nap.

The mountain rumbled like my grandfather’s stomach when I was late with dinner. Stalactites and stones fell, sending up clouds of dust. I choked and coughed and tried my best to dodge the falling rocks.

Poundings of great stony feet sounded in the distance. In my haste, I tripped, landing on my plastron. I was going to rest for a few seconds when a roar tore the air. I thought I could hear the cavern walls cracking.

I looked ahead. I had long since lost my torch, and shett eyes are not used to the darkness of a cave. I had been running around like a blind man and it was a miracle I was even now still alive.

But now I could see. In the distance there was a faint bluish glow.

<i>It can’t be the outside world. I’m too far down in the heart of the mountain.</i>

There were strange things under these mountains, and most of them were already after me. But wasn’t light good? Wasn’t light a gift from the Great One?

It was worth a shot. I pushed myself to my feet. That scream had definitely cracked the stone. And the stompings were getting louder. I was lost and going to die. Better to die in the light than in the darkness crushed by the hand of a monster.

I ran toward the light. It seemed so far away, but I kept on. My legs ached more than anything, my head and heart pounded. Everything grew louder and brighter, louder and brighter, until…

…I was there. It was so sudden it was as if the mountain had spit me right into the new cavern. The light was in the center, glowing over a pool of water. It illuminated the whole place with its blue haze. I could see the water dripping from the stalactites. It seemed so peaceful, though death was all around me.

I suddenly realized I was thirsty. I had poured every ounce of my energy and thought into running, I hadn’t had the opportunity to realize it before. I approached the pool. Was it even safe? What even was that light? There was a low humming.

I didn’t care. I was going to die anyway. This cavern was a dead end.

I dunked my head into the water and lapped up as much as I could drink before everything exploded in a burst of white light.

I felt nothing. Everything moved around me in an indecipherable swirl, but I was still, safe in the eye of the storm.

Slowly my surroundings came into focus and I felt a cold smooth stone floor under my feet.

Smooth gray walls, columns, and arches shot up around me. I was in some kind of grand room. All I knew, this was no home of shetts. It looked like some kind of fortress or palace of men.

Which was confirmed when I turned around and found six humans (as far as I could tell–some looked a bit like elementals) staring at me with large eyes and mouths agape. There was also a reddish furry creature there. Some kind of canine.

“Hello,” I said, directing my speech to the animal. I said it in the wilderkin tongue, hoping it would understand me.

It wagged its tail, licked its chops, but didn’t respond. Perhaps my shett accent was too strong. Or maybe it only knew the mammalian dialect.

Suddenly a great booming voice sounded. The walls rattled. Were those golems still here? Were they still chasing me?

“Welcome, warriors, the run who ran away! He may seem gentle, but a coward only looks for himself.”

Whosever voice it was, it meant me. I had not even been in this place thirty seconds, and I was already labeled a coward.

I had run away to escape being called a coward. But that was the most cowardly act of all. I was scared of being scared. And wherever I went, everyone would know that. Because that’s who I truly was.

I sat down on the floor and cried. I didn’t care anymore if those humans–whatever they were–saw me. The voice had already told them. Everyone knew.

I must’ve died. This was my afterlife. But what had I done to deserve this much mockery?

———-

Sorry it was so long. And the writing is pretty bad.

"Can't have dirty garbage."

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Klein had just finished recovering when the walls sank. What remained of the others appeared. Just four. More casualties to this place. Standing, Klein put Zanar down. They had to move before the next round began.

Then a man appeared. He looked like the classic image of an RPG rouge.

“And who are you?” Asked Liorah.

“Is this a joke human? I think you all know exactly who I am. Everyone and their blind and deaf mother knows who I am!”

Klein felt uneasy. The use ‘human’ suggested he was not. And if he was not, he was an alien. While his attention was focused on Liorah, Klein carefully disabled the safety on his rifle.

‘They call me the Phantom Ranger. Perhaps you’ve heard of that name?” Finished the man after a pause.

“Umm let me see. Nope! Doesn’t ring any bells unfortunately.” Replied Liorah sarcastically.

“I am the High Queen’s most esteemed assassin and spy. I have killed more people than you can count on your fingers.” The assassin was becoming angry.

“Oh. May I ask how? Let me guess. Using your death stare?!”

“Liorah!” Her brother snapped. “Don’t provoke him! Please!”

Klein was now thoroughly worried and moved to draw his rifle. Men who boasted of their kills were more dangerous than those who didn’t. Then the assassin took and inhuman lunge at Liorah. Grabbing her neck, he lifted her off the ground. In a second, Klein drew his rifle, took a knee and lit the laser sight. His target was just above the assassin’s mask, the base of the brain. An instant kill. Liorah’s flailing would make overpenetration a possible problem but Klein’s angle left only her right arm in danger.

Then the assassin said something and dropped Liorah. Dusting his hands like nothing happened, he took a nonchalant pose. Klein let the laser flash over his face for a second as a warning before switching it off. Standing, he took a guarded position with his rifle. The assassin’s move before was dangerous. While he did not seem to have any weapons, the speed of his attack alone could leave even the armor’s protection in doubt.

“Seeing as we are now acquainted with one another, and are stuck in this hellhole for who know how long, you may call me Lorcan.”

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

LOL Liorah actually stopped screaming to pet the dog! Ferran seems to be a very good influence XD

LOL! ‘Shut up, pet the dog’ is a fairly dependable technique to calm Liorah down XD

@sparrowhawke

Sorry it was so long. And the writing is pretty bad.

Don’t worry! This isn’t a prose competition, you did great 😉 And make it as long as you like! Ooh, I can’t wait to see what the other characters do! I love him already 😉

Yikes! That was a bad move, he got everyone mad at him XD This is going to be glorious!

I hope you don’t mind, I’m going to change the scene a little, because Ferran was acting a little out of character. (Though Liorah’s lines are gloriously sarcastic XD) I generally try to limit other character’s actions and only write dialogue for my own characters since that’s really easy to get wrong. (If you need another character to reply to something briefly, that’s fine though, and you can break the rules if you do it spectacularly XD)

Ooh, this is going to be good!

@rusted-knight

“Liorah!” Her brother snapped. “Don’t provoke him! Please!”

Just wanted to clarify, Ferran isn’t her brother. Ferran is a friend, I took Gavril out a while ago. Sorry for the confusion 😉

Liorah

“Is this a joke human? I think you all know exactly who I am. Everyone and their blind and deaf mother knows who I am!”

My grin widened. I had an opportunity to make fun of this arrogant fool and I couldn’t wait. Ferran looked dubious and closed-off, but that was hardly unusual.

The aforementioned arrogant fool tossed his head and looked at me haughtily.

“They call me the Phantom Ranger. Perhaps you’ve heard of that name?”

Phantom ranger? Who was he kidding? Even his name was overdone and self-important.

I tapped my chin, as though thinking hard.

“Ummm… let me see… Nope! Doesn’t ring any bells, unfortunately.”

He tilted his head, surprise and bewilderment taking over his expression. It must be disorienting for him, to suddenly drop among all these people who had no interest in praising him.

“I am the High Queen’s most esteemed assassin and spy. I have killed more people than you can count on your fingers.”

I smiled crookedly. My uncle, the regent of our tribe, had said that a need for assassins was a sure sign of a poorly run government. I tried to translate his rank. He’d probably be one of the nobles in our tribe, perhaps slightly below the Elders. I outranked him, but I could only tell him that once and now wasn’t the time. I wanted to see him embarrass himself properly.

“May I ask how?” I asked, mockingly. “Let me guess, using your death stare?” 

Ferran shot me a look. He was tense and kept a sharp eye on the stranger. Interpreting Ferran wasn’t hard, I knew him so well I knew what he was thinking. Stop that, this isn’t a good idea.

I had no interest in listening.

The stranger smiled, then vanished. One second he was there, then he was gone.

Then he was right in front of me, his hands clamping around my throat. It felt like an iron band around my neck. I choked, then my instincts took over and I kicked him as hard as I could, hitting him squarely in the shin. He didn’t even flinch.

Red spots danced before my eyes and he lifted me off the ground without the least effort.

“Like this,” he whispered, then he dropped me. I collapsed onto my knees, gasping for breath. It felt like the time a horse had kicked me in the chest. I could barely breathe.

“Seeing as we are now acquainted with one another, and we are stuck in this hellhole for who knows how long, you may call me Lorcan.” The stranger’s black eyes were sharp with triumph.

Rage and humiliation pulsed through me. He would pay for this.

Ferran’s staff pushed the stranger away from me. He stumbled backward, surprised.

Ferran

Anger pulsed at my temples, hotter than I had felt in a long time. How dare he? How dare he hurt Liorah?

I stepped between her and the stranger, trying to keep myself from knocking Lorcan off his feet.

My hands ached from gripping the staff so tightly.

“As long as you’re here, I expect you to be respectful,” I bit at the stranger.

The words came harder and quicker than usual. My accent was more pronounced, a sure sign of my anger. I didn’t even try to stop it. Gavril would have talked this out reasonably, but Gavril would sell his soul to keep the peace, so he wasn’t a good example.

“We have no interest in antagonizing you, but this is unacceptable. Where I come from, we don’t harm or frighten others to prove ourselves, especially not girls. And that’s ignoring the fact that both girls here are able and willing to kill you. Do you understand?”

I heard a soft hiss behind me and I didn’t have to look around to see what it was.

“Liorah, put that back.” I knew she had drawn her sword.

“Can’t I decapitate him just a little?” She snarled.

“Maybe later,” I answered.

Klein’s weapon was drawn and pointed at Lorcan. A red light flickered across his face. A warning.

A large shape appeared somewhere to our left, but I didn’t take my eyes off Lorcan. If I wanted to, I could break his skull with a single strike. I did want to but took a deep breath. Not now.

“Welcome, warriors, the run who ran away! He may seem gentle, but a coward only looks for himself,” the castle spoke. I risked a glance at the newcomer. He looked like a large tortoise and I frowned, surprised. That was unexpected.

The person-creature- whatever, sat down on the floor, bewildered, then started crying.

There was another hiss behind me, but this time I recognized it as Liorah’s sword returning to its scabbard.

“This isn’t over, you illegitimate son of a camel,” Liorah snarled at Lorcan, then spun around and strode toward the newcomer.

Azar was quivering somewhere behind me. I heard her tail sweeping the floor. I gave her the sign for ‘good girl, go ahead’.

Her nails ticked over the stone floor as she bounded after Liorah, feathery tail wagging.

I didn’t look away from Lorcan. The newcomer seemed harmless, but Lorcan certainly wasn’t.

I heard Liorah sitting down.

“Hey, it’s okay. Don’t cry, it’s not so bad here. You’ll be home soon. I’m Liorah, what’s your name?” Her voice was soft, gentle even. There couldn’t be a greater contrast between her now and when she had threatened and insulted Lorcan a few minutes ago.

Her ability to be kind to those who needed it was one of my favorite things about her. It never failed.

_______

Liorah’s mom-friend mode: Activated! XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

Okay ya’ll, I definitely wrote that last one in a rush. I was in a half hour break from work. I sort of regret that Lorcan did that? I’m still figuring out what kind if a person he is, so I’ll just go with it for now. But I think when he chokes her, he only does it sightly, he doesn’t really harm her, its just to give her and everyone a scare and show them who they’re dealing with kind of way. I hope thats okay 🙂

And sure @rose-colored-fancy if I’m not doing it right, you fix the characters, no problem at all 🙂

“As long as you’re here, I expect you to be respectful,” the boy practically snarled.

I glanced down at the staff the boy was pointing at me. Judging by his stance and grip, he had obviously been trained to use this weapon. His accent was strange and unfamiliar. Meanwhile the fella behind me pointing a rifle at my back pushed it down.

The girl was staring daggers at me. I ignored her and stared steadily down at this mere boy, sensing that he was more than willing to use his weapon to strike my head off.

“I’d like to see you try boy,” I whispered. “Bigger men have tried to kill me and failed.”

The boy didn’t even blink.

The girl drew her sword. “Liorah, put that back,” the boy said without turning around

“Can’t I decapitate him just a little?”, she snarled.

“Maybe later,” he answered.

I tilted my head, and spread my feet apart slightly, readying a fighting stance.

They all glared at me. Then a rumbling noise vibrated in the room.

“Welcome, warriors, the run who ran away! He may seem gentle, but a coward only looks for himself,” the castle spoke.

Turning, we all stared at this strange tortoise creature who had appeared out if nowhere. He plopped down onto the ground, as if bewildered, and burst into tears.

“This isn’t over, you illegitimate son of a camel,” the girl snarled at me, then spun around and strode toward the newcomer.

And just like that she changed personalities in an instant.

I watched as she knelt before the creature, speaking softly to him. I raised an eyebrow at the display. Meanwhile the boy with the staff – Ferran – stared at me hard.

The girl seemed to making introductions. Her gaze landed on me and it turned sour. “And that is a murderous son of a sow who tried to kill me.

“Okay firstly I didn’t try to kill you. Relax okay,” I held my hands up slightly. I could feel that laser on me again. “I was just giving you all a proper warning. I made sure not to hurt her. I don’t harm people unless they have attacked first. Besides you,” I looked pointedly at the girl, “Need to be more careful with that tongue if yours. There are beings far worse than I hiding in every corner. And I guarantee you they will not friendly towards to the likes of you.”

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Okay ya’ll, I definitely wrote that last one in a rush. I was in a half hour break from work. I sort of regret that Lorcan did that? I’m still figuring out what kind if a person he is, so I’ll just go with it for now. But I think when he chokes her, he only does it sightly, he doesn’t really harm her, its just to give her and everyone a scare and show them who they’re dealing with kind of way. I hope thats okay

Don’t apologize, I really liked it! It’s a lot more interesting than just getting along with everyone! I actually thought it was a pretty cool reaction, and I can see how it could come out of past trauma. And don’t worry, even though Liorah and Ferran took a bit of a dislike to him, I think he’s awesome!

Also, it was kinda Liorah’s fault XD She really was being horribly annoying. XD

She has a tendency to do that, trust me. Before you arrived, she already started several fights because she was being so irritating. XD *Remembers Dancrow and Liorah’s bickering.*

And also Liorah is ridiculously dramatic and lives for starting fights, so don’t worry about it!

“Need to be more careful with that tongue if yours. There are beings far worse than I hiding in every corner. And I guarantee you they will not friendly towards to the likes of you.”

*Laughs in ‘this is the entire plot of my book, oops’*

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy

Don’t apologize, I really liked it! It’s a lot more interesting than just getting along with everyone! I actually thought it was a pretty cool reaction, and I can see how it could come out of past trauma. And don’t worry, even though Liorah and Ferran took a bit of a dislike to him, I think he’s awesome!

Ohh that’s really good to know XD He’s my favourite character, so I’m glad you like him! And that’s a good point, he did suffer truama in the past so that would be a pretty normal reaction from him. I feel better about it now 🙂

Also, it was kinda Liorah’s fault XD She really was being horribly annoying. XD

She has a tendency to do that, trust me. Before you arrived, she already started several fights because she was being so irritating. XD *Remembers Dancrow and Liorah’s bickering.*

And also Liorah is ridiculously dramatic and lives for starting fights, so don’t worry about it!

Okay that’s fine so lol. I’m more comfortable with the scene now I know that about her 🙂

Bethany
    @sparrowhawke

Torsten

My tears would not stop. I kept wiping my nose and eyes to keep any tears from falling onto the floor. I didn’t want to get in trouble for making a mess, even if I was dead.

“This isn’t over, you illegitimate son of a camel,” I heard a gruff but feminine voice say. I slowly looked up, thinking the words were directed at me. I didn’t even know what a camel was, but it sounded too pretty for an insult.

A tall strong-looking girl was staring at a tall strong-looking man. Her reddish hair reminded me of an infernal, but she was too tall and her skin wasn’t the right color. The man wore strange clothes the likes of which I’d never seen even among the traders that came to Haldrok. A mask covered the lower half of his face. I shuddered.

She dropped her gaze, spun on her heels, and started walking toward me. I quickly turned around and pulled my head partway into my shell.

“Hey,” she said softly, quite a change from the angry voice I’d heard just a few seconds before. She knelt down beside me. I started to turn away, but she put her hand on my shell.

“It’s okay.” Her voice was soothing, but then, seeming to realize what she said, she quickly added, “Well, actually, it’s probably not. I just finished playing death chess and that fella”–she shot a look back at the tall man–”is the murderous son of a sow who tried to kill me.”

“Firstly I didn’t try to kill you,” the man said. He held up his hands in defense. “I was just giving you all a proper warning. I made sure not to hurt her. I don’t harm people unless they have attacked me first.” He scowled at the girl. “Besides you. You need to be more careful with that tongue of yours. There are beings far worse than I hiding in every corner. And I guarantee you they will not be friendly towards the likes of you.”

The girl just jerked her head back, sending her long braid flying.

“Just ignore him,” she told me. “I’ll protect you. And you don’t look so powerless yourself. What’s your name?”

“Umm, it’s Torsten,” I stuttered. “Of the Kames. But why do you need to protect me if I’m dead? Where am I?”

“You’re not dead. You’re right here, breathing. And I don’t really know where we are either, but I don’t think we’re dead. Not yet anyways.”

So I was alive but transported to some strange place. I didn’t know if that was any better.

That light in the cave must’ve been aether. I’d heard stories of adventurers who had found aether–though the stories could never agree on what it looked like–and never being heard from again. That didn’t seem good for me. But how could those stories be known if the adventurers weren’t heard from ever again?

I didn’t know what to believe.

The girl patted my foot. “Are you all right?”

“So you’re all alive?”

“Well, I think so. I mean, we’re missing two people, but all the rest are here.” She gestured for me to look. I turned my head and glanced at the six others standing around.

“That’s Ferran, my friend,” she said, pointing to a man with the same colored skin as hers but with dark hair. “And his dog Azar.”

“I know a Ferran,” I said. “He doesn’t look like that though.” <i>Would I even see him again?</i>

She introduced the rest to me. Gwen carried a bow and arrows, Zanar looked like an aerial, and Klein wore some kind of strange armor. And Lorcan was the tall man she didn’t like. Gwen and Zanar smiled at me. I couldn’t tell what Klein or Lorcan thought, and I really didn’t want to know. They looked like the kind it’d be best for cowards like me to stay away from.

“And I’m Liorah,” the girl said. “What can you do, Torsten?”

“Umm, I can cook,” I said slowly. “Is there any food around here?”

Bethany
    @sparrowhawke

@rose-colored-fancy

I remember you saying Liorah liked to adopt characters. It seems that that might be happening to  Torsten 😉

Neasa

Lorcan

I had had enough. No way was I going to let this castle monster thing mess with me.

“I refuse to stand here and do nothing,“ I barked, beginning to pace. I ignored everyone’s blank stares. “There has to be a way out. There just has to.”

Liorah snorted. “It appears this one here does not understand what the word trapped means.”

”I know what it means human thank you very much,” I snapped, my strides getting bigger and faster. Ferran watched me warily. “What does this castle even want with us? Why choose us specifically? Oi, Castle! <i>What’s your deal</i>?”

But the Castle remained silent.

I took a deep breath and exhaled. Then I strode to one of the walls and punched my fist against it. It vibrated at the impact.

”Don’t waste your time,” Ferran sighed. I ignored him, throwing my other fist against the wall. Then again and again.

If these were normal walls, my fists would have gone through them like paper. But of course this wasn’t a normal building.

“Please tell me there’s a way out,” I snarled. “I refuse to believe that we’re trapped. It’s not possible.”

“Unlike the rest of us, you have weird magical abilities,” Liorah snapped. “You want to do something? You can teleport or whatever. So – why don’t why put that ability to <i>use, </i>idiot!”

I turned in her direction, blazing irritation filling me. ”Firstly, what I am using is not magic. That is a name not fit for the skill that I use. Sacred Metamorphosis is  form of science – it abides by the laws of conservation of energy and conservation of-“

”Blah blah blah, none of us have a clue what you’re on about,” Liorah rolled her eyes.

I bristled at her retort but continued. “Secondly, it doesn’t work like that <i>genius</i>. I need to <i>see</i> where I’m going in order to shadow travel.”

Liorah gave me a dirty look. “No one asked you for an entire scholarly thesis.”

My fists clenched hard. This <i>girl</i>. The <i>audacity</i> of her to-

“Are you literally going to antagonise every single word that comes out of my mouth?” I demanded. “Believe it or not human, that’s not going to help us.”

”Why on earth do you keep referring to us as humans<i>?” </i>She<i> </i>snapped at me. “In case you haven’t noticed, this one here isn’t a human. And are you not one as well? Or are we all so below your almighty ranking that you would go so far as to refer to us as common low borns?”

“For your information,” I said through gritted teeth. “You are correct. I am <i>not</i> a human being. And I sure as heck am delighted about <i>that</i> huge detail.”

They all gaped at me. I could feel their confusion as they racked their brains, struggling to work out what I really was. The tortoise creature cocked his head at me curiously. Even Liorah seemed a little surprised.

The ground vibrated beneath us. “Now I think its time to spice things up a little,” the castle announced.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@sparrowhawke

I remember you saying Liorah liked to adopt characters. It seems that that might be happening to  Torsten

It absolutely is! I was definitely going to do that XD

Ferran.

Liorah was quietly speaking to the tortoise-like creature. Her words were too quiet to understand, but then she raised her voice. To insult Lorcan, of course.

“And that is the murderous son of a sow who tried to kill me,” she said, with a glare.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise, but he didn’t seem to appreciate the insult. A pig was the lowest of animals, more unclean than any other.

“Firstly, I didn’t try to kill you,” Lorcan said, haughtily. “I was just giving you all a proper warning. I made sure not to hurt her. I don’t harm people unless they have attacked me first.”

I leaned on my staff, more relaxed now. He didn’t seem to have any further bad intentions. Even though he was kind of acting like an idiot, I understood his feelings. Ending up here was disorienting, confusing, and downright frightening. I’d had Gav and Liorah to explain what was going on, but he was alone among strangers.

I had seen that he hadn’t actually harmed Liorah, even though he had probably been able to. I decided on a compromise. If he came near Liorah again, I’d smash his skull, but if he didn’t, I’d give him a second chance and pretend this hadn’t happened.

Lorcan shot Liorah another glare.

“Besides, you need to be more careful with that tongue of yours. There are beings far worse than I hiding in every corner. And I guarantee you they will not be friendly towards the likes of you.”

Liorah threw back her head and laughed, long and clear. Even though she was clearly making fun of him, the sound still made me smile, and her laughter was the only thing that mattered right then.

“So everyone says, yet nothing has happened to me yet,” Liorah said.

That was true. She had gained a reputation for recklessness and ‘undiplomatic actions’, which meant she thought many high-ranking people took themselves too seriously, and she wasn’t afraid to tell them so.

Still half-smiling, Liorah continued her conversation. She seemed to be handling it fine, so I didn’t interfere.

Lorcan lost his patience and began to pace. Back and forth, back and forth. I didn’t stop him, even though it was making me nervous.

I heard my name and glanced at her. She seemed to be introducing everyone. I shot the newcomer a half-hearted smile.

“And I’m Liorah,” she finished. “What can you do, Torsten?”

“Umm, I can cook,” he said slowly. “Is there any food around here?”

Liorah sat back on her heels, tossing her braid over her shoulder. She gave a melodramatic sigh.

“I wish. I haven’t eaten since noon and in the meantime, I’ve had at least ten near-death experiences.”

“From what Gav told me, it was closer to four,” I interjected.

Liorah rolled her eyes, a habit she’d picked up from Gav. She waved her hand dismissively.

“Four, ten, who cares?”

“I refuse to stand here and do nothing,“ Lorcan barked, pacing even faster. “There has to be a way out. There just has to.”

Liorah shot me a look that said ‘Are you seeing this idiot?’

I pulled a ridiculous face at Lorcan’s back. Liorah burst out laughing and Lorcan spun around, eyeing me suspiciously. I had straightened my face out just in time and now only looked cold and indifferent.

Someone doesn’t know what trapped means,” Liorah said, pointedly.

”I know what it means, human, thank you very much,” Lorcan said.

I watched him with interest. Something about him was… off. I frowned.

“What does this castle even want with us? Why choose us specifically? Oi, Castle, What’s your deal?”

I wish I had answers to his questions. Even Liorah, who could usually invent any answer she didn’t know, didn’t have anything to say.

Lorcan lost all patience, strode to the wall, and before I could stop him, he punched it, as hard as he could. I waited for the inevitable crack of his hand breaking, but nothing happened. He didn’t even flinch but punched it again. The wall vibrated with impact, even more than it had done when I’d hit it with my staff earlier.

Even though I was several years younger than Lorcan, I was at least as tall and probably should have been as strong. His bare-handed blows should have had less power than my hard-wood staff. This wasn’t natural. I gripped my staff again, not that it would do much good.

“If you didn’t get through the first time, it’s not happening,” I sighed. Lorcan ignored me.

“Please tell me there’s a way out,” Lorcan snarled. “I refuse to believe that we’re trapped. It’s not possible.”

Of course, it was possible. It was even probable, let alone true.

“Unlike the rest of us, you have weird magical abilities,” Liorah snapped. “You want to do something? You can teleport or whatever. So – why don’t why put that ability to use, idiot!”

Lorcan spun toward her. He wasn’t taking her mocking well. People with large egos rarely did. Though, she was taking it a bit far this time. I shot her a look. Not scolding, only questioning.

Liorah tossed her head, her braid snaking over her shoulders. She was already sick of this entire castle, and Lorcan was the last straw.

“Firstly, what I am using is not magic. That is a name not fit for the skill that I use. Sacred Metamorphosis is a form of science – it abides by the laws of conservation of energy and conservation of-“

”Blah blah blah, none of us have a clue what you’re on about,” Liorah rolled her eyes.

“Good. If it was magic, we’d have to stone you,” I murmured. I thought that was fairly funny, but he didn’t seem to and ignored me entirely.

“Secondly, it doesn’t work like that genius. I need to see where I’m going in order to shadow travel.”

Liorah gave Lorcan a dirty look. She was exceptionally talented at giving people dirty looks, though perhaps it was long years of practice. Probably both.

“No one asked you for an entire scholarly thesis.”

Lorcan was literally quivering with rage. I didn’t know whether to be amused or feel sorry for him. Liorah wasn’t letting him finish a single sentence without a sarcastic interruption.

I remembered what that was like. I smiled, the years had made the memories almost fond, despite how frustrating it had been.

“Are you literally going to antagonize every single word that comes out of my mouth?” Lorcan demanded. “Believe it or not human, that’s not going to help us.”

”Why on earth do you keep referring to us as humans?” Liorah snapped. “In case you haven’t noticed, this one here isn’t a human. And are you not one as well?”

“For your information,” Lorcan said, through gritted teeth. “You are correct. I am not a human being. And I sure as heck am delighted about that huge detail.”

My eyebrows flew up in surprise, even though I’d more or less figured that out already. Oh, what did it matter, after all?

Liorah turned back to Torsten since Lorcan wasn’t saying anything she could argue with.

Lorcan raked his hands through his hair. He seemed confused and frustrated.

I shrugged my staff onto my shoulder.

“Sorry for my explosion. Shouldn’t have done it like that,” I broke through the silence. I wasn’t sorry I had defended Liorah, but I could have been less forceful.

“She’s not so bad. She just really doesn’t care whether you like her or not.”

I couldn’t help a wry smile. It was one of Liorah’s traits that was both frustrating and admirable. She would get along much easier if she cared a little more, but she had a certain independence, so entirely free from other’s opinions. I didn’t envy it. It seemed lonely, even isolating.

“Stop fighting back. She’s enjoying this more than you know and she won’t stop until you do,” I said, finally.

Lorcan’s face registered disdain and even anger.

I raised an eyebrow.

“Of course, I know my place. A lowly human wouldn’t dare command you, but that’s my advice, take it or leave it,” I said, brusquely. My voice had perhaps slightly more bitterness than needed.

I had enough experience with knowing my place. I was only a goldsmith and a commoner. Even being friends with Gav and Liorah was crossing a line of social class. Gav realized it and actively ignored it, and Liorah had never noticed that our friendship was politically precarious.

As far as I knew, it hadn’t actually been forbidden, but there was always a certain barrier between Gav and me. Unlike Liorah, he was acutely aware of other’s opinions and tried to please everyone, and mostly succeeded.

One day, when Liorah noticed that I wasn’t like her and never would be, that same barrier would appear between us. I dreaded the day.

The ground vibrated beneath us. “Now I think it’s time to spice things up a little,” the castle announced.

Liorah cursed. Loudly. Thankfully, it was in Lehabim, so none of us understood it, but her tone left no room for interpretation.

Hey, y’all! What’s the plan for the next trap?

@jasmine

Are we still going with the laser tag thingy? It might be fun!

Jasmine
    @jasmine

@rose-colored-fancy

Laser tag was the plan! Wow, I missed A lot while I was gone, LOL. please forgive me if I get something wrong with the characters, I caught up on the story but I’m very bad at remembering things.

Gwendolyn

I jumped at the sound of Liorah’s shout, fingers tightening around my bow as the ground shook. I had knocked a arrow as soon as Lorcan had grabbed Liorah, but had never returned it to my quiver. Brin was perched on my shoulder again, her black feathers brushing the side of my face. My feet where braced against the stone ground, my eyes scanned the room for whatever fresh horror the castle was about to throw at us.

I stepped closer to Liorah, my sheathed sword bumping against my leg. We had fought the mirror-monsters together, and she had proven to be very skilled with her sword unfortunately for me. I had no idea if the turtle could fight, but in the castle, it was usually better to have someone to fight with. Or a few someones. I glanced at the group, Ferran had his staff ready, Azar at his side. I knew Lorcan could fight, but wasn’t sure wether he would fight with us or against us. Klein would probably be able to demolish any evil thing that showed is head.

The castle had seemingly tried to kill us multiple times and failed. I was feeling a little confident. Then there was a crack and the ground started to tip. I returned my arrow to my quiver and slung my bow over my shoulder in a instant, scrambling uphill. But there was nothing to grab and I started sliding down. I glanced behind me and saw that the castle was tipping us into darkness. I made one more desperate lunge, then toppled backwards. I flipped and landed on my feet in the darkness, glad that it hadn’t been a farther drop. Then the lights turned on and someone landed on top of me, knocking me to the ground.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Jasmine.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

9:01 pm
    “Hello?” I ask, just in case. Nothing but a couple really creepy creaks around the house, the old apartment my mom and dad used to have before she left. It’s kinda like that place ya’know Miss Spidermonster set up, except it’s got all that bad personality. Smells awful, all in all on a scale of 1-10 just a 23 on channeling scary gross vibes.
    Funny story though, I can’t actually leave the house because there’s nothing under it. Like sky and that’s all. It’s gotten dark by now ya’know and I can see stars through. How I wonder what they really are, up above the world so high like a gasball in the sky that you’ll see before you die with that tunnel of light thing great for right after you’re unconscious I think that song kinda escalated quick.
    9:20 pm
    I’m guessing this place is the first step of the actual maze and my first clue is this compass in my hand with its memories…? I remember my dad giving it to me uh some time before we left so I was younger than twelve or so I think like nine or ten. Said no matter what unless it gets broken it’ll always point north. Kinda like people I guess, as long as they have a core. But most everyone gets broken nowadays, I wonder if that’s even a good metaphor now.
    9:24 pm
    “Come on! Next clue or whatever, just get be outta here!”

Honestly I just want out of this house she can kill me for all I care…(please don’t kill me though).
    If it’s really the only memory I’ve got right now well.. Look it was always cold and leaky here, every so often my favorite toys would disappear and I never got anything out of it except Dad getting more and more crazy and then…
    And then she left.
    The last thing she said to me was something like go clean your room, you know, like she didn’t expect me to she just wanted me out of the way. And then she was gone. She never even said goodbye.
    I uh…I never meant to be angry with her, I remember that, she did whatever she thought was her best bet I guess. I guess she…maybe she…I guess I’ll never know.
    You know that…actually hurts more than my dad stealing drug money. I mean he’s crazy, man, and I don’t expect him to do anything responsible. I guess I always knew I’d be taking care of him not the other way around, then things got too rough there and…anyway, I guess it hurt worse assuming someone’s in their right mind and still does something. Guess she probably wasn’t, she was probably real hurt by everything there and…
    I don’t know why I’m making excuses for someone I haven’t known since that. I hate this house.
    “Are you still going on your quest?” Again with the really creepy voice.
    “Yes,” I said “and you’re supposed to play fair.”
    9:35 pm
    “Is that so?” She trills, I try to trace her voice, maybe somewhere in the next room, maybe that’s the clue. I just have two questions I can use and no telling how long this “game” is supposed to go on. Nevermind that just get to the room in time. I dash down the hall which is now kinda saggy like PlayDough more than an actual whatever she’d call this place.
    “Hey, next step ok!” I land skidding into the hall which is checkered now like tha…I swallow and kinda look back over my shoulder but it looks all the same again, back to that Lord Nightmare Maze of Death. Guess the only place I can go is forward, I look down at my compass seeing if it’ll point north for me. It doesn’t. It just spins in circles, there’s no north here.
    9:40 pm
    Don’t ask any questions don’t spend your last two questions I’m totally gonna die.
    “Hello? Miss Mon… uh…” Yeah might not wanna call her that outlou…whoa. There actually is a room at the other end of the hall. I take a deep breath, and walk toward it. Man I am so gonna die…
    9:45 pm
    There’s something pickling under the skin in my hand like wires.

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Neasa

“Stop fighting back. She’s enjoying this more than you know and she won’t stop until you do,” Ferran spoke to me.

I studied him, anger still pulsing through me at Liorah’s insults. He raised an eyebrow.

“Of course, I know my place. A lowly human wouldn’t dare command you, but that’s my advice, take it or leave it,” he added with a hint of bitterness.

It was my turn to raise an eyebrow. He sounded insulted. And even a little resigned. As if he was used to this sort of treatment. I recognised that look. Because I had the exact same one years ago. Before I had climbed the ranks to where I was now. Looked down upon. Spat at. Beaten. Sneered at.

I began to open my mouth.

The ground vibrated beneath us. “Now I think it’s time to spice things up a little,” the castle announced.

Liorah said something that sounded like a swear word. In a language I couldn’t understand. That surprised me. I was familiar with every language that had ever been spoken. Looks like I really wasn’t on Earth anymore.

Everyone drew their weapons. A girl with a bow and arrow moved up towards Liorah. I pushed myself into a fighting stance, waiting with baited breath for whatever was about to happen.

Then the ground began to tilt.

I slid downwards roughly. Growling, I attempted to race up away from the gap forming below us. Screams sounded all around me, along with a horrible creaking sound.

I gritted my teeth and drove my fist into the floor, desperately attempting to get a handhold. It knocked uselessly against the surface. I tried again, but my strength was useless against whatever <i>this</i> was.

This could go two ways. I could fall in or jump in. Preferring to take my chances, I leapt into the darkness. Desperation filled my head at the realisation that I couldn’t see a <i>thing</i>.

But I could sense the people who had landed down there. Too late, I found myself slamming into a figure. We both tumbled to the ground. I pushed myself to my feet, just as the lights flashed on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 2,509 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest