fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 2,509 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@jasmine

Laser tag was the plan! Wow, I missed A lot while I was gone, LOL. please forgive me if I get something wrong with the characters, I caught up on the story but I’m very bad at remembering things.

No worries, I think you got it!

@irishcelticredflowercrown

@this-is-not-an-alien

@sparrowhawke

@rusted-knight

Okay, y’all, here we go!

They’ve landed in a new room, so I think we can set up a good laser tag area. I’ve actually never played laser tag, so y’all are going to have to help me out XD I know the basic premise, but someone else might have to start it XD

Oh, I actually had another idea for a future trap. I thought it might be fun to somehow incorporate extreme climates, like a desert, snow/ice, and stuff like that. We’ll probably have to make it more interesting than that, but I just thought it would be fun! (Is this just an excuse to introduce Liorah to snow? Maybe, but come on! It would be hilarious!)

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Bethany
    @sparrowhawke

@rose-colored-fancy

I’ve never played laser tag either lol. But the idea sounds really cool! Torsten has certainly never seen a laser in his life.

Extreme climates sounds cool (no pun intended) too. If I add in Malar, the snow idea could be pretty crazy since he’s never seen it either, living in the desert and all. (Maybe we can do the desert and have him get dropped in there?).

"Can't have dirty garbage."

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Two suits from the sound of it drag us out. Twelve steps and a pause, click of the door. Can still hear Marsha chattering stuff as ‘Where are we? What’s going on? Why the blindfolds?’ Answers? Not much, just so called reassurance that everything fine.
    Blindfolds come off though, could’ve killed the fresaita pulling mine off with that stupid, sick smile but no word.
    “Where are we?” Marsha tries again, working close into hysterics, so her suit tries soothing to nothing. “What’s going on? What are you gonna do with me?”
    “Easy, easy now–” Keeps going back and forth, right now she’s crying.
    Is a bright room, white walls like too much whitewash. Nurses coming and going, click clack click clack of flats. Well if we aren’t in it deep.
    “Hey,” I say mostly to shut Marsha up. “I thought I ordered a hotel suite. A lot of nerve you got calling this a nice apartment.”
    Sarcasm does and the two suits laugh, Marsha fades off and stares at me like her only salvation. That wouldn’t work, don’t have time to rescue everyone here, just Ehud and here’s hoping that. Bad idea after all no telling whether this is the right place.
    “Come on princesses.” Starts to yank us to door numbered five, closed, with some whirring sound. Now or never? Still need information. For some reason Marsha won’t stop looking at me like I’ll save her. Right, I’m too much a monster for that, trust me.
    “Fine, but first, have you seen my friend? Annoyingly cute blond kleptomaniac, wears a blue hoodie, never stops talking, has this insufferable love of pink?” The suit laughs and shakes his head like ‘get a load of this crazy.’ Ai que barbaridad, we’ll have to do this the hard way. I smile at him before I stomp his foot, shove back and twist his neck. Two seconds he’s gone. You can hear the nurses around scream, five seconds max, that how much time I have to stay here then.
    Second suit turns with a taser I look him dead in the eye with the gun hidden on me all this wonderful time. Shoot it out of his hands and Marsha screams, jumping back.
    “If I were you, I’d start running.” I told her, kicking the suit into the wall, barrel on his forehead. “You want to answer like your friend over there, the one on the floor. Be my guest.”
    I watch my words sink into the whites of his eyes. I don’t particularly enjoy it, but I don’t particularly mind it either and this hasn’t been my best day so far.
    “I don’t have a lot of friends. Just the one, in fact.” My hand on the trigger, eyes locked with his. “And I’d hate for anything to happen to him. So let’s go through this very carefully.”
    “You’re not gonna kill him, are you?” Marsha cries, staring at me and the suit. Don’t even look back at her it’s just background noise, like the alarm a nurse has pressed, and people running away, panicked.
    “White, male, 16, 5’8’, blond hair, blue-gray eyes, probably goes by the name of Ehud but I wouldn’t count on it here. You have five seconds to give me an answer before I blow what’s left of your brains.”

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

10:00 pm
    I know cos I can hear this clock chiming loudly, so loudly the floor seems to shake. So I guess it’s ten o’clock.
    Ya’know I used to play this game with my brother and some kids on the street called Grandfather Clock. Of course someone was the clock and the rest of us were what…mice?? Whatever, just kidding. Anyway, the clock would stand way ahead with his back turned to all the other kids and the kids would have to yell ‘What time is it, Grandfather Clock?” and whatever he said was how many steps you took to get closer to him so you could tag him.
    You could go on like that a while, especially since we played on some pretty precarious ground like the tiles would fall out and it’s like a floating island and all so yeah you could totally die in a game of Grandfather Clock. But at some random point we’d ask the time and the clock would yell ‘Midnight!’ And then we had to run from the clock before he caught us.
    Fun game right? I hope I don’t have like two hours to live or something…
    The compass in my hand is still spinning wildly by the time I reach the room, it’s the only thing that’s got any light really. I really wish I had my jacket and all the stuff I filled in its pockets but all I got is this lame broken compass and creepy dream-memories.
    10:09 pm
    Can’t hear anything at first just the clock tick tocking like a bomb. The room looks like it’s got kind’ve a yellow pale suffused glow that seems a little too bright. Then I can hear that humming, ya’know, the eery on-tune but off it kinda humming Miss Monster did at that place right after I woke up. Feels like years ago, creepy Almost-Mom in the Almost-House that looked like that apartment I just left. Do I have to step in?
    10:25 pm
    “Hey! I’m not afraid of you!” I yell, charging inside. Yeah…I was totally lying, I’m so scared I could throw up.
    It doesn’t look like anybody’s there at first, mostly cos it’s too bright to see anything. I cover my eyes and blink, really really dizzy and I think I’ve got a headache.
    “Hello, sweety..” I freeze, not sure I wanna look up. I think I hate that sickly singsong voice more than I hate the past few hours in Murder Maze. “Are you done exploring now?”
    “No!” I rub my eyes and try to look up severely “I want my next clue!”
    I’m so tired all I want is sleep. That ticking is driving me crazy! I can finally see a little but it’s insanely bright it hurts and it looks kinda blurry. It’s that kitchen, the one that looks like a formal and perfect impersonation of the old house.
    She tilts her head and smiles. Really she looks like one of those mechanical dancing dolls, just not quite real but flawless.
    “Wouldn’t you rather stay here, darling?” She says sweetly, mindlessly setting a plate on a checkered stool-high counter. Milk and cookies…ya’know the kinda thing moms are supposed give and all. It doesn’t really matter right but…
    “No!” I say (helping myself to a cookie all the same) “I want my life back!”
    I cram the rest of the cookies in my pockets and guzzle down the milk. It takes a second for me to realize she’s staring at me and it’s really under my skin.
    10:43 pm
    “Which life?” She says, her fingernails tapping the counter they look like claws. Honestly I feel like there’s something poking under my skin and my head. I stare down at my compass, still whirring in circles. “Really, sweetie, wouldn’t you be happier here?”
    “No,” I say “nobody really wants what they want, they just want someone to care enough, not control enough. Nobody can ever be happy from getting what they want…”
    10:56 pm
    She stares at me, kinda like a wolf staring at some animal that crossed into its territory. What big, kaleidoscope eyes…? It almost looks like a spiderwebbed wall; the counter and everything. I don’t know how much like my mom she looks now but I think I better start running if I wanna live.
    “You don’t think…I care?” She says softly, not velvety or anything kinda a little pitchy like a broken violin. I kinda back up a little. Haha, I’m so gonna die…
    11:00 pm

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Five,” I whisper against the prone guy in the wall, gun on his forehead. “Four…”
    “I don’t know who you’re talking about lady!” Don’t have time for this, que lio, need to move. Nurses screaming, white walls, shiny floors. Que mas da? I’m just a beast.
    “You’re not really gonna kill him?” Screams Marsha but I don’t even need to look back, I know my goal and I don’t need to waste time. Feel like a cracked rose. Could shoot him down easy but I need the information.
    “Three…I can get very angry without my friend,” My finger on the trigger. Me da igual. “Two…one…”
    “Don’t kill him! He doesn’t know!” I pause, not caring who the information comes from. But nada? No. I don’t feel anything but…I did feel something. Anger. The kind that smothered deep deep down every life in your soul and one thing. One thing I wanted, one…
    “One, last second.” I say, lente. Maybe words broken. Turning more to the beast in me.
    I know where your friend is,” Marsha says. He could tell when people lied, but I can’t. I freeze but I slowly turn. Looks pale and petite but no se lo…something odd about her eyes. Not removing the gun from his head, I back enough for space between and level a look up and down her. How, is probably the question I should ask.
    “Where?”

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@sparrowhawke

Okay! Sounds like a plan! We’ll do the desert right after laser tag!

@everyone

Heya, y’all! Sorry I haven’t been as active lately. Life has been hectic, but school is out next week, so I’ll hopefully be more active after that Feel free to go ahead, I’ll catch up!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

11:02 pm
    I don’t know what’s going on but this is gone haywire! Ten centuries ago.
    What long nails she has…
    She looks bigger, way bigger than before, her face looks frozen. What big hands, and eyes and mouth…I back up, gonna ran down that tunnel again if I have to but it’s gone! This is it it’s the end of me I’m totally gonna die.
    “I guess I don’t care, do I?” Her voice sounds like I don’t even know, anything low and pitchy, maybe like bat noises. But she doesn’t sound mad it’s still singsongy and that’s what’s really scary. “No, this game’s over, I guess. Thank you for playing I learned soo much from it.”
    “What do you…?”
    11:26 pm
    [Program terminated]

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

As Liorah greeted the newcomer, the floor gave way. Klein didn’t struggle this time. Who ever this was, they didn’t seem like the type to just up and kill someone. They acted on reason. Break the rules, you die. Cease to entertain, well guess what.

It wasn’t much of a fall, barely a story to the next floor. Light flashed on as they hit the ground. Everything was greyed out. A grid pattern of lighter grey lines was stamped over everything as well. The center of the floor was sunken, creating a square bowl. Nothing else was in the room. (I’m going for something like the clone training rooms on Kamino)

Remembering what Liorah had said, Klein looked up. He didn’t expect to see anything but someone was watching them.

“Do we at least get a last meal before you kill us? History has proven soldier fight better on a full stomach.”

“I won’t kill you. Yet. By all means eat. You have to be in the best shape to entertain me.”

Reaching to the bottom of his pack, Klein hit a button. Grasping two packets, he pulled them out. They were about the size of a medium sized book with brown wrapper over them. Taking off his helmet, Klein tore one open.

“I got two first strike rations here. It should be enough to keep us going.”

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

It’s a bad idea but I follow Marsha down the halls, gun so in hand nobody stops us yet. Sirens flare across that hold building like all the word catches fire and I can’t hear a word I think. Que mas da? I race across, shoving faster her aching slow pace. Chale, so close, so close.
    Beep beep beep, twinkle twinkle, little star
    “This way, fifth room in the hall to the right!” Marsha shouts to be heard over the sirens, red pounding light like a heartbeat.
    “Vamos,” I say, forgetting the English word as I drag her by the elbow. Believe me when I say she’ll die if she’s lying. Sale, vamos a dejarlo. In a heart’s beat we make it there to the door. Security? Nope. Que lastima, then this was a trap I expect. I turn the handle, slowly, guarded glance over the room. But nada yet.
    Dim light, enclosed space 10-by-10 or 12-by-12 from the looks. Whether the light’s blue or the walls I can’t tell and I don’t care. Step in, wires whizzing, wires everywhere. A computer screen emitting light, codes and codes. Several monitors, a heart monitor, fast beeps but steady reasonably steady. Last, there’s a hospital bed and…
    “Here.” Marsha said inaudibly. “It’s still in simulation-mode.”
    I’ve never been bothered by pain. Watching someone in pain never bothered me I don’t have emotions. But there, looking at the bed crisscrossed with wires and Ehud…
    “Get it off him.” I say in a low growl, sounding more and more like a beast. Somebody who hurt…someone as sweet and innocent as Ehud…they deserve what I’ll do to them.
    “I can’t it’s…”
    “Now!” Before I realize what I’m doing I slam the girl into the wall. And Marsha she’s already whimpering like a hurt puppy and I could already see Ehud’s face if he’d seen it, just shock just pure shock he doesn’t understand what I’m capable of. Maybe if he did he’d have left by now…
    “I can’t just unhook it, if it’s wired to his brain I don’t know if it’ll kill him or…” Fine. Fine, chale I need to keep calm. I let go of Marsha and walk over to the bed I can still hear her crying behind me. His face is always readable, even in his sleep, but now lights from monitors flicker off a placid, pale face. And I’m the one alive…
    “Fine. What can you do to get it off?” Beep, beep, beep, watching his pulse on the screen is the only way to tell he’s alive. If I find them, if I find those bastards that did this…
    “Computer,” Marsha says “end program initialize wake up.”
    “Admin password required.” I curse under my breath.
    “I…don’t know the password…but I can guess.” she suggests
    “And what happens if you guess wrong?” There isn’t an answer for me she doesn’t know. It’s not good enough. Odds aren’t good enough for this and I can’t risk his life. I close my eyes just a second and let out a breath. “How do you know all of this, Marsha?”
    “I…I don’t really know…” I can hear her hit her head with the palm of her hand like that’ll bring the truth. Nada. “I know I’ve…been here before…I…I think…did you…when the party got ya’know…did you suddenly start to remember stuff…?”
    I clench my jaw, just spit out something I don’t know I don’t have time for this. Ehud, my friend perhaps my only family, is…I’ll kill them I swear I’ll kill them. I bend over him, touch his white cheek. It’s cold, I don’t think he’s ever not been hot and sticky to the touch he never sits still.
    “Just skip to the part where you give me a way to save him,” I growl at her.
    “Ok…ok…” She whimpers a little. Chale. “Computer? Disconnect patient from program.”
    I wait several seconds for the thing to ask for a password but it doesn’t.
    “Alert. Full synchronization progress 56%, if you disconnect transition will not be complete. Do you wish to continue?”
    “Marsha?” I look back at her carefully.
    “It’s a very sophisticated program that adapts brainwaves to electronic signals, like… telepathy from the brain to the computer and computer to the brain.” She says from the other end of the room as if I’m a danger to her and she’s probably right about that assumption. “It’s replaced conventional brain surgery…so I don’t know…I know he’ll wake up if I disconnect it

but I don’t know…what he’ll be like”
    This shouldn’t be my call, no puede ser. Whatever I do next it could kill him or save him or bring him back brain damaged. What would he want me to do? No se lo…But the room is almost sound proof and I can’t even hear the alarms and I wonder why…
    I should’ve been there more. I either should’ve told Ehud how I felt sooner or left him before he could get attached to me. Que mas da? He thought he was being so clever and secret but…the long looks, blushing and getting flustered all the time, just the way he talked. I knew he had feelings for me, even I’m not that oblivious to emotions. But, I thought it was just a crush and he’d get over it I never wanted to think about the possibility that he… loved me.
    And now will I ever get to tell him?
    “Is it the best option we have?” I ask Marsha, not trusting her opinion really but I don’t have enough medical knowledge for this call. She hesitates and I, well I don’t have the patience, I turn to the computer looking for I don’t know what. But the screen suddenly flickers typed out words;
    Haha it’s me, Lord Castle, I’m back!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Cathy, don’t you dare hurt Ehud! I won’t let anything happen to my precious baby! *Hugs Ehud and glares at you* He only deserves pink-frosted cupcakes and hugs! XD (You’ve totally got me on the edge of my seat! I need to know what happens!)

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Rose.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Y’all!! I have returned! I’ll try to be more active now.

I believe Liorah’s time in the castle may (finally) be coming to an end. I want to drop in Sahar and Acyn pretty soon because they’re two of my all-time favorite characters and I have these two more or less figured out.

I’ll keep Liorah and Ferran in until after the laser tag, then I’ll swap them out.

Liorah

The floor was tilting. This was brilliant. I knelt, trying to keep my balance. Then I made the mistake of looking over my shoulder. A gap was opening. I could only see darkness beyond it.

Speechless with fear, I desperately tried to grab hold of the floor, but it was smooth and provided no grip. It tilted even further and I slid into the darkness. My heart was throbbing in my ears and my thoughts had dimmed into terrified silence. What was at the bottom of the fall? Nothing? Endless falling? Pointy spikes? A hard floor that would break my bones?

I twisted in midair. By this time, it was second nature to take a fall on my side or shoulder. I had fallen off horses dozens of times, but that had never been this high. I collided with the floor, the impact rippling through me.

I gasped for breath, then slowly began moving again. Nothing felt broken, but why was it so dark? Was I dead? What had happened? Would there be monsters storming us?

My second question was answered when someone slammed into me. I instinctively spun toward them, and barely recognized Lorcan in the dimness. Out of pure relief that I was alright and that the others were here, I kicked him in the shin and glared at him. It seemed to have little effect on him, though I had kicked hard. Still, I felt immediately better.

(Me: Good grief, Liorah, you really know how to make friends. You spiteful little brat.)

Next, I heard Ferran’s footsteps and a soft patter that sounded like Azar.

“Liorah?”

“I’m here, I’m fine.”

“Good. That was quite a fall,” he said.

“I’ll say.”

The lights flickered on, finally. I scowled at the lights.

“Was that amusing, Lord Castle? Because I’m not amused!”

Ferran sighed.

“It’s not listening. It certainly doesn’t care.”

“You’d better start caring!” I spat at one of the walls closest to me.

The room was bland and more or less empty. Everyone else seemed to be here.

I spun back to Lorcan.

“Did you have to ram into me? Could you just watch where you were falling?”

Ferran gave a long-suffering sigh.

“Liorah, stop it, you’re being unreasonable.”

I glared at him now, but he raised his eyebrows, daring me to argue.

I huffed and crossed my arms.

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

Of course I happened to fall into Liorah. It seemed the forces of the universe wanted to have a good old laugh. Insulted, she also decided the best course of action was to aim a kick at me. That very move sent my blood boiling, but I just stared at het coldly and said, “Gosh aren’t you very mature now?”

She just glared at me and tossed her head. What was it with women and their hair tossing? Did they believe it made them more attractive?

Her friend Ferran shot me a look that seemed to be on the sympathetic side. It seemed he was frustrated by this human girl’s constant tantrum.

After having another shouting spree with the castle, she turned back towards me. “Did you have to ram into me? Could you just watch where you were falling?”

This – girl! The audacity-

“Liorah, stop it, you’re being unreasonable.” Ferran looked annoyed. To his credit, he didn’t back down when Liorah shot him a glare.

I folded my arms calmly. “Oh sure. Why didn’t I think of that before? Let me put on my special see-in-the-dark glasses. Oh wait. I don’t have any.”

She just scoffed at me.

I sighed. “There is no need to constantly vilify me. It’s not like I am out to thwart your attempts to escape. Of course, if I was the tortoise, you would have smothered him with hugs and promises to buy him sweeties. Or am I wrong?“

She made a huffing sound but didn’t answer.

I made a mental note to never get married. No way was I going to spend the rest of my life with a woman who would turn out to be insufferable like this one.

I turned to Ferran and moved towards him. “I may not be human like you boy. But I know what its like to live on the outside. To be treated like a lower class citizen. My biological family only acknowledge me because I trained and fought my way to become a great warrior for my people.”

I pulled my sleeve up on my left arm, watching Ferran’s expression. “You see the tattoo? It’s the mark of an illegitimate child. My people brand us newborns according to our worth. So no matter how much power and respect I possess, this tattoo will always be a reminder of why I will never truly be accepted.”

The boy stared at the small twirling twisted Celtic design encircling my wrist.

I wasn’t looking to make a friend or to pour my heart out to anyone. But I knew that if I wanted to make allies, Ferran was probably my best bet.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Ferran

Liorah was seriously done with this situation. She started squabbling with Lorcan. Again.

Lorcan folded his arms, obviously insulted. Liorah was getting tiresome, but he wasn’t helping matters. He seemed absolutely determined to take her remarks in the worst way possible.

“Oh sure. Why didn’t I think of that before? Let me put on my special see-in-the-dark glasses. Oh, wait. I don’t have any.”

Liorah scoffed. In her defense, we didn’t know what Lorcan’s powers included, but immediately concluding that he purposefully crashed into her was rather unreasonable.

Lorcan sighed.

“There is no need to constantly vilify me. It’s not like I am out to thwart your attempts to escape. Of course, if I was the tortoise, you would have smothered him with hugs and promises to buy him sweeties. Or am I wrong?“ He said, loftily.

I understood his feelings, but he was being just as foolish as Liorah.

Liorah shot me a look. Are you hearing this?

I raised my eyebrows. The comparison was hardly fair. Lorcan had been riling up Liorah since he arrived and because Liorah was herself, she couldn’t resist the opportunity to get a rise out of him. It wasn’t hard.

I recognized the mischief in her golden eyes. Oh, no. No, no, not this again. I shot her a warning look and she grinned. She was enjoying this. She wasn’t planning to apologize or make peace any time soon.

I sighed. I wouldn’t be able to change her mind, so I wasn’t even going to try.

Lorcan turned toward me.

“I may not be human like you, boy. But I know what it’s like to live on the outside. To be treated like a lower-class citizen. My biological family only acknowledges me because I trained and fought my way to become a great warrior for my people.”

His patronizing tone was rather irritating, but I knew enough not to say anything about it.

He pulled up his left sleeve, revealing a design like a knotted rope on his wrist.

“You see the tattoo? It’s the mark of an illegitimate child. My people brand us newborns according to our worth. So no matter how much power and respect I possess, this tattoo will always be a reminder of why I will never truly be accepted.”

I kept my expression as neutral as possible. Why was he telling me this? He wanted something from me. What?

“Rotten luck,” I said, shortly.

There was nothing more to say about it. I could easily imagine the scorn he’d faced. It was much the same with some of the other tribes if you married outside of the tribe.

It was a rather archaic custom, and only the Kezbes and occasionally the Qeyiks clung to it. I remembered I’d heard about the scandal when the Kezbe king married outside the tribe. It had caused quite a stir, but he hadn’t seemed to care.

It happened, it was wrong, there was nothing we could do about it.

Liorah had been listening to our conversation. I watched her reaction. This wasn’t the right time for jokes. But she looked serious, for once.

“We’re all stuck with our parents’ bad decisions, aren’t we?” She said, to nobody in particular. She wrapped her braid around her wrist, frowning.

I stared at her quizzically. What was she referring to?

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Cathy, don’t you dare hurt Ehud! I won’t let anything happen to my precious baby! *Hugs Ehud and glares at you* He only deserves pink-frosted cupcakes and hugs! XD (You’ve totally got me on the edge of my seat! I need to know what happens!)

*laughs in writer*
    *also lectures me for assuming I could simply “wrap this up and make them kiss before they leave” ‘So simple’ I said ‘just a quick little short to crunch their character arcs’ I said ‘be done by the end of the week’ I SAID…*
    But I’m glad it’s exciting!!

I believe Liorah’s time in the castle may (finally) be coming to an end. I want to drop in Sahar and Acyn pretty soon because they’re two of my all-time favorite characters and I have these two more or less figured out.

YES I GET TO SEE THOSE TWO IN ACTION LOL YES!!!!

Ooooh this would’ve been so easy if you weren’t a closed-off possible sociopath who won’t express her emotions and he wasn’t a completely insecure kleptomaniac with abandonment issues who’s too scared of rejection to actually tell you his feeling.
    I stare at the screen.
    “What. The heck have you been smoking?” I plan to rip this thing’s wires out and strangle it (perfecto, now I sound like Liorah). But this…I could murder it so long. Que lio.
    “Should I…should I try to disconnect him?” Marsha hesitates but I don’t have time for her. Before I shoot it I’ll make it’s life–
    Couldn’t do this the easy way oooooh noo we have to go through glorified eldritch-abomination-ville and
    “Shut. Up.”
    “Um…Rosar–”
    “Just get out of the way!” I snarl back at Marsha, not looking to see if she responds. I promise you I’ll break you if you touch a hair on his head I swear it curse you! My knuckles tighten white y que mas da? It’ll pay, it’ll pay because I’m a real monster it’s just a toy. Calm, steady, emotionless and deadly…I don’t want this I hate this I just want him back
    “Wake him up,” Quiet. No puedo ser. “If he’s harmed. In any way. I swear there won’t be anything left of you to identify in the morgue.”
    You say that like I’m not just a program.
    Even more cold and emotionless than you?
    “Ros–!”
    “What?!” I snap, turning on Marsha just about ready to shoot her. White as a sheet, I thought she was scared of me but then I see it. Cameras across everything, screens for every camera. And them headed straight here from every angle.
    Oh dear I don’t think we have long to chat!
    Why don’t you pick your gamble?
    You can try to guess the password or disconnect the program?
    “Marsha,” I pause. I hate puzzles on most days. Failure? Not an option. Fear wastes time…I’ve never felt so scared before– “disconnect it.”
    I don’t have feelings.
    I’m scared

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

The last thing I remember is the room turning blinding bright. I feel like I’ve been bowled over by twenty-billion volts of electricity and now I’m heavy and I can’t move. What now, is this another memory test whatever?! Honestly I feel like…I don’t know really dizzy and like I got knocked out in a bar fight or whatever.
    “What…ow…?” My lips are numb I can’t feel my anything. I start to blink but everything’s too bright. There was a spider-monster-mom-what and…
    “Ehud? Ehud, carino, are you there? Wake up now. Please.” I nearly jerked back as something pokes under my hand. There’s a…I’m in a room if it would hold still I might see it more clearly!! Suddenly everything rushes back to me and I bolt upright (ok, actually I fall over and hit my head on the back of…whatever).
    Miss Monster has my cookies!!!” Ow. My head hurts. I think somebody touches my shoulder trying to nudge me back down.
    “It’s ok…it’s ok, Ehud, it’ll be ok…” Who is she trying to convince? Wow she looks like a warrior princess. At least, I think, I hold up my hand in front of my face and I think I’m holding up two fingers but I see five.
    “Put your hand down. Ehud, do you remember anything?”
    “How many fingers am I holding up…?” I ask, I wanna cupcake do I at least get a lollypop? She pushes my hand down she has really curly hair, I try to touch the tips, wait what am I doing here? Where is here?! What’s happening?!! I make to sit up but but something yanks my wrists. So I yank it harder kinda frantically I’m handcuffed to the bed!
    “It’s ok, I’m getting them off, Ehud, it’s ok,” Her voice cracks, what’s going on, what’s happening? I gotta get these off I gotta…I don’t know…I don’t know what’s…
    “Rosario, they’re coming!” The curly haired girl glances back a second, so I start twisting the cuff of my jacket into a lockpick, it should be automatic by now but everything’s so shaky I can’t…Are they gonna kill me? I can’t remember anything I…
    “Is this another test-thingy? I still have…two questions?” Click! I yelp and jerk back but it’s just the handcuff snapping off. It’s just…it’s just…I blink, tears suddenly springing to my eyes. Before I can stop I’m yanked into her arms and she squeezes me so tight (I can’t breathe). Her hair smells kinda like cigarette smoke I don’t know why that’s so comforting it shouldn’t be. Then her hand is on the back of my head I can feel her fingers pry through my hair her other arm so tight around me I think she could kill me!
    But it’s…so warm.
    I don’t know her but I wanna…I think…I…
    “It’s ok…it’s ok…” She says it over and over and I coulda fallen asleep right there if I could breathe even though her voice is kinda raspy like gunpowder or broken dreams it kinda hurts to listen to.
    Rosario!
    She releases me, sorta, (I try to gasp for breath without making it obvious I’m gasping for breath), and glares at her companion. Who’s…what’s…I’m hungry. And just like that I’m yanked to my feet, barreling out the backdoor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 2,509 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest