fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 2,551 through 2,565 (of 2,600 total)
  • Author
    calidris
    @calidris

@e-n-leonard

I’m a traditional painter. Computers and I don’t get along very well (I even prefer to write with pen and paper, especially first drafts).

Oh nice!  Do you use oils, watercolors, or acrylics?

Acrylics are just…way too hard for me at this stage of life XD  I want to get better at watercolors though!

Yes. And I’m also glad that this is a genuine Christian community. When I was first looking into SE, I was super cautious because I was concerned that it might have been a Christian-in-name-only thing. Thankfully, it proved to be otherwise 🙂. It really is a blessing that I found it. I had been going to a secular website for information about writing, but it just didn’t have either the information I needed, or the purpose I knew writing should have, or the depth of community, or, in short the “healthy and honestly challenging” environment SE has.

Exactly!  I also really appreciate that the faith aspects aren’t shallow, and that people are encouraged to dig deep, to explore, and even to respectfully disagree!  I just love that you can talk about deeper subjects with people here, and that’s completely ok and there’s plenty of other people who want to do the same.

*laughs as one fey*

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

CONROY

I flew back, smashing into the wall. I glanced fearfully at the giant. Was he going to start another fight? I searched the room for a good hiding spot.

None.

If the giant attacked, I was as good as dead.

The giant drew out his sword.

I whimpered, pressing myself against the wall. Goodbye world!

But the giant didn’t attack. Instead, he began to chant in a strange language.

And that was even worse.

The castle was shuddering underneath me. Almost like it was trying to keep something from escaping.

Something from escaping…

“You’re crazy!” I shrieked. “Have you seen what the castle can do? Why would- why would- this is crazy! You’re going to get us all killed!”

The giant did not hear me. He increased the pace of his chant.

The tremors grew worse.

I backed farther into the corner. The giant could fight the castle if he wanted, but there was no way that I was about to help him.

Suddenly, the shaking stopped.

The castle stood in front of the giant.

He was tall, regal, and powerful. He surveyed the room with a relaxed air. “Well, Saevus,” the castle thundered, “Thou hast called me, and I hast come. What dost thou wantest with me?”

“Your head!” the giant shouted. “You had no right to do this to me!”

“Then you shall find yourself even more humbled than you just were. I am Lord Castle, and no upstart from Malterra will stop me,” the castle sneered.

With a roar the giant lunged forward.

“He really is crazy,” I muttered.

I felt a tug at my shirt, but no one was near me.

“What’s going- Agh!”

I lurched forward. Something, someone, was dragging me across the room.

“Leggo, leggo, leggo!” I screamed, thrashing against the invisible force.

I clawed at the floor to no avail.

The pull grew stronger and stronger.

The room sped by me. I shut my eyes. “Make it stop,” I whimpered.

I slammed into someone. They grabbed by my shirt’s collar and swung me off the floor.

I dared to open my eyes.

The castle man was the first thing I saw. He smirked at me and then turned me around.

I screamed.

The giant was before me, sword drawn.

“Donkillme, donkillme, donkillme!” I screeched.

@ethan-leonard

@everyone

Hopefully this a good enough reason to get the other characters involved in the fight. 🙂

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

C. Leonard
    @lady-grace

@calidris

@e-n-leonard

Also, I didn’t know you’re an artist too!

She illustrates my book😀 and makes my MC look as stupid as he actually is lol

Live a life filled with wonder

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

@calidris

Oh nice! Do you use oils, watercolors, or acrylics? Acrylics are just…way too hard for me at this stage of life XD I want to get better at watercolors though!

I use mostly watercolors but also acrylics. I have oils…but I might be a little terrified of using them 😂. I haven’t done a single oil painting. What do you use?

Exactly! I also really appreciate that the faith aspects aren’t shallow, and that people are encouraged to dig deep, to explore, and even to respectfully disagree! I just love that you can talk about deeper subjects with people here, and that’s completely ok and there’s plenty of other people who want to do the same.

Yes! The willingness to discuss and debate has been wonderful, and that it’s all from a place of faith makes it even better.

We are called to be lights in the cosmos.
    May your inkwells never run dry!

calidris
    @calidris

@e-n-leonard

I use mostly watercolors but also acrylics. I have oils…but I might be a little terrified of using them 😂. I haven’t done a single oil painting. What do you use?

Right now I just do digital painting, so for now it’s Photoshop!  I used to do watercolors, but I stopped a year or two ago.  I think I might try them again sometime…

Oils look intimidating, but acrylics scare me more XD

*laughs as one fey*

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

Ku’Aya

Ehud’s words had been so kind, and his hand so warm and comforting. I really didn’t care about that man on the screen anymore. If I ever saw him again, I’d probably gut him in an instant, but…

I never cared about what other people thought of me anyway, so why should this matter? So what if everyone knew now. Like Ami said… didn’t change nothing.

Or so the thoughts ran through my head. But then, why was I still cradled in Abirami’s arms?

It was just too easy not to think. Too comfortable to leave the restful strength of his arms. My head shifted against his broad chest, and I wondered if that was what it felt like to be held by a father.

Ehud’s video played in the background, and I paid little mind to it till it neared the end. Not that I ignored it – just that it played in the back of my attention, like an automatic motion when doing chores.

The shiny ring flickered in his fingers as the screen went blank. A few gasped, and my eyes wandered around the room, hoping to glare heavily at whoever it was should I chance to spot them.

Anyone who thought Ehud was at fault for his stupid parents had rocks in their heads, far as I was concerned.

But Ehud’s shoulders was shaking as he sat in crumbled fashion before me, his fingers scratching, arms twitching and flailing about his head as his tears dropped from his hood-covered head and fell upon his knees.

Rolling out of Abirami’s arms, I turned on my knees and placed a hand on Ehud’s shoulder. He looked up, the shadow of his hood encapsulating his teary face.

How can he be so cute even when crying?

I swallowed… harder than intended. *cough, cough*

“You know you’re not at fault for any of that, right?” I asked. He just tilted his head ever so slightly to the side.

By the Maker! So cute.

I looked away. “Because it’s not… your fault, I mean. It’s not your fault.”

“But-”

Ehud babbled on, but I couldn’t bear it.

“Ugh. Just trust me, okay? It ain’t your fault your stupid mother left you behind and it ain’t your fault your stupid father was-”

“Ku’Aya!” Abirami interrupted me.

I glanced his way.

Great. His hands were on his hips and he stared at me with that stupid big-eyed incredulous look on his face. Made him look angry and confused at the same time. Not his most becoming of looks.

“What?” I challenged. “Lots of parents’r like that, and you know it.” I turned back to Ehud, who seemed more hurt now than sad. Great. Now I’m the bad guy again.

“Look, parents are nothing more than grown children. Age doesn’t mean they know any more than you or me, just makes ’em stupid.” I glanced back at Abirami. “Well, some of them, at least.”

I grabbed Ehud by the shoulders. “Adults are just as selfish and stupid as we are, Ehud. You can’t take the blame for someone else’s choices. It’ll only chain you down and make you miserable. It won’t fill your belly or help you survive a harsh night. And it won’t ever answer that nagging question.

“What question?” Ehud asked.

I turned my back, but then turned again to escape Abirami’s gaze. Walking a few paces, I stopped and sighed. “You know what question.”

Ehud’s voice was soft and low, like a talking whisper. “Why did she-”

“Why.” I agreed. Still, I couldn’t help my muscles from stiffening. Why did she abandon him? Why did they abandon me? Stupid, nagging, impossible questions… get out of my head!

A commotion on the other side of the room rose to a ruckus and then, with a flash, a man stood before metal bucket head. I would say his clothes were intricate and lavish, but… it almost looked like they were carved out of some larger structure… and even though his visage was clearly that of man, his skin gleaming in the light, he too looked as if he had been carved by some master craftsman.

His chest was wide and his shoulder pads rose like a wave on each side. His vest was of burgundy red with a golden chain going from the small of his vest pocket up to the inside of his coat, which was cut short at the waist in front and fell down to the his knees in the back – cut in two like the tail of a swallow.

His top hat was angled upon his head with a feather billowing with each wisp that passed its way. His eyes were dark brown, almost to a default of black, making his penetrating gaze all the more imposing from within his deep-set eyes, thick eyebrows, and strong chiseled chin.

His pants billowed near his feet, which ended with a set of staunch boots of charcoal black. One hand was on the hilt of his sword hung within its scabbard, which nearly met the sole of his boots as it swung loose upon his belt.

His voice was deep and booming. Something about it… it reverberated and echoed, seemingly from and within the walls themselves.

Tin man lunged at wooden butler and began to fight.

Bleh. Boring. Just hoped Abirami wouldn’t get caught up in it. Cause then I would probably be dragged into it too. Such a bother. Plus, Ehud was probably seeing me as some heartless, insensitive, blunt prick. I didn’t know how to reverse that, but I knew I wanted to try…

Gah, they were so loud over there.

A square paper-like apparatus appeared in front of me. Confused, I held my hand out, but my hand passed safely through it. I looked left and right, then up and down. The page stayed centered within my vision.

“What the-” I could hear from around the room.

Writing on the page was a title followed by a simple question.

Boss Event: Lord Castle

Will you participate?

YES                            NO

There were thin lines creating boxes around the “Yes” and “No” on the page.

Was the wooden stud over there Lord Castle?

“What is this?” someone asked. “An RPG?”

A nervous chuckle came from a few of them.

“MMORPG may be a more apt description here, no?” another said.

What were they talking about?

Forget it. If that really was Lord Castle, I wasn’t about to let this opportunity slide. Raising my hands, I sent my hive after him.

Lord Castle, let’s see how you like termites. And if you aren’t made of wood, then perhaps bullet ants.

The swarm, like a dark cloud, billowed forth from behind me and shot towards the castle-man just as tinsel-town in a suit lunged toward him once more with his sword.

The box that said “Yes” pressed in, as if it was a button, then turned green. The page disappeared.

Good riddance. Now, focus.

Castle- …. Bob. Lord Castle is just too formal, too long, and too cool sounding. I’m gonna call him Bob. And metal man is Frank. There.

Bob suddenly had a hostage in his arms as Frank began his downward swing. (Yes, Frank is Saevus… teehee)

Curses. A hostage. Ami was sure to intervene now. Blast it all.

My swarm covered Bob and Frank – my fire-beetles pinning down Frank as my mites and ticks on the back of silver ants found there way into the creases of his armor. Ticks were so slow, after all. They’d get no where if they didn’t hitch a ride on my silver ants – the quickest of my non-flying insects.  (Saharan silver ants can run at about 200 meters a second!)

Same time, my termites hit Bob and swarmed around him, focusing on his hands. Simultaneously, I let my swarm know to let Abirami through, and not a second too soon, for Abirami plunged into my swarm, rushing in as a wolf. My hive opened a way for him, and he followed it, right to the hostage. With a single lunge, He stole the man from Bob’s grip and ran the man out of danger’s way.

Abirami transformed out and then back into an Aemirok, standing at the ready.

No, not gonna let you hog the fun this time.

I pressed my arms forward and sent more of my hive, increasing the pressure and pressing the attack.

Bob was mine.

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried. ~ G.K.C.

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

@jared-williams

LOL I love it, Frank and Bob…😂😂😂

And I gotta admit, this is fun. Everyone just had to reveal their deepest regret, and then, BOOM, Saevus goes ballistic.

Saevus pressed his attack forward aggressively. Lord Castle countered, but Saevus blasted at his defense, for wing him back.

Suddenly a swarm of bugs of some sort came flying all over them. Swarms of them attacked Saevus and tried to pin him to the ground. Swinging his sword wildly about, Saevus spun about and fell. But not for long though…a blast of fire emanated from Saevus, throwing all of the bugs off of him and throwing Lord Castle back to the ground.

Roaring, Saevus stepped over and brought a two-handed vertical cut down on Lord Castle.

“Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship”

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@e-n-leonard sorry for dropping the interaction with Avin-Jade like a hot cake. Do you want to continue it? I saw that you wanted to take Jade out of the castle. I’d also like to remove Avin, so we can either finish the interaction, or just take them out.

@everybody

I will be going dormant for a while. I’m okay and all, but just busy with writing and something’s got to go. I’ll be removing my three characters either now or after E.N.Leonard and I get done with our characters. Thanks for everything, and if I don’t touch back in, keep being awesome!

Don't cry for me, for I go where music is born ~J.S. Bach

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

@emily-waldorf

@e-n-leonard sorry for dropping the interaction with Avin-Jade like a hot cake. Do you want to continue it? I saw that you wanted to take Jade out of the castle. I’d also like to remove Avin, so we can either finish the interaction, or just take them out. @everybody I will be going dormant for a while. I’m okay and all, but just busy with writing and something’s got to go. I’ll be removing my three characters either now or after E.N.Leonard and I get done with our characters. Thanks for everything, and if I don’t touch back in, keep being awesome!

It’s alright, we can just pull them out. Jade’s gotten as far as she’ll get outside her book, and same for Isaias.

I’m glad I got to “meet” you and your characters. Keep being awesome yourself!

We are called to be lights in the cosmos.
    May your inkwells never run dry!

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

I can definitely relate to getting busy… school has started up again (teacher here…) so I may slow down a bit too here and there….

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried. ~ G.K.C.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Castle- …. Bob. Lord Castle is just too formal, too long, and too cool sounding. I’m gonna call him Bob. And metal man is Frank. There.

LOL, this is especially funny to me coz Ehud named it “Lord Castle” the first time he was in the Character Castle so like they both love randomly nicknaming 😂👌

Ehud didn’t stop crying until a warm hand squeezed his shoulder. He just wanted to be held, or belong. And boys weren’t supposed to cry everybody made fun of him for being a crybaby. He tried to peek up at Ku but his hood flopped in his face and he was too upset to fix it.

“You know you’re not at fault for any of that, right?” She said. How could she still be so nice to him after everything she just saw him do?? He chronically stole things, she’d hate him the minute she lost something? And he probably would get nervous and steal something from her at some point and then she’d hate him?

Wouldn’t she?

But she was his brother now, right? She wouldn’t take that back…?

“Because it’s not…your fault, I mean. It’s not your fault.” Ku insisted. Ehud blinked and rubbed his eyes and he still couldn’t push more tears back and she was being so nice to him he didn’t know what to do. His very few friends didn’t actually blame him for it but what if he just tricked them into thinking he was innocent or sweet or something?

“But…I should’ve-?”

“Ugh. Just trust me, okay?” Her ‘ugh’ was an audible eyeroll, which was kinda endearing. “It ain’t your fault your stupid mother left you behind and it ain’t your fault your stupid father was-“

“Ku’Aya!” Abirami interjected with a rather comical angry look, that almost made Ehud laugh. He always laughed at inappropriate times even when he was really upset!

He wasn’t sure what to think though, or how to respond. You couldn’t say that about parents, could you?

Her blunt attitude was actually very reassuring to him, especially after years of it being so deeply imbedded in him to read the subtext of every slightest gesture and read the room and overanalyze every little thing to guess what the grownups wanted when they didn’t even know themselves.

“What?” Ku retorted “Lots of parents’r like that, and you know it.”

Ow. Ehud winced, not the least because he couldn’t argue he was already losing the argument with himself. He was just so scared he’d be just like his parents and he didn’t want to believe they were bad because what did that make him? He was so immature and emotional – Ku looked back at him and Ehud bit back the urge to duck his head. Her voice was a little softer now as she continued

“Look, parents are nothing more than grown children. Age doesn’t mean they know any more than you or me, just makes ‘em stupid.” She said obstinately, but then glanced back at Abirami. “Well, some of them, at least.”

That didn’t make any sense to Ehud. Or at least, he wasn’t willing to let it, bu – Ku grabbed his shoulders and she stared him down. He felt so warm he turned red, every bit of resistance melted, giving way to the fact that he just wanted to be held.

“Adults are just as selfish and stupid as we are, Ehud.” That’s what he’s afraid of… “You can’t take the blame for someone else’s choices. It’ll only chain you down and make you miserable. It won’t fill your belly or help you survive a harsh night. And it won’t ever answer that nagging question.”

Ehud swallowed and shoved his hands deeper in his pockets. “What question?”

She turned away and Ehud flinched a tiny bit, biting the urge to cling to her he hadn’t been ready for her to let go he liked being touched. He really wanted to be cuddled.

Ku paced a couple steps but she stopped and let out a soft breath. “You know what question.”

“Why did she-“ His voice cracked a little and he wiped at his eyes through the pocket of his jacket.

“Why.” She said in a low voice, stiffening involuntarily. Blinking, he fidgeted with his pockets, trying to think of something to say.

Then Weird Armored Dude summoned Lord Castle and they all attacked him lol XD

@jared-williams

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

C. Leonard
    @lady-grace

Yarrow

Yarrow gripped his bow, half hating it, half hoping it would give him the strength to face whatever else this castle might hold.

Suddenly a tall metal dude stepped forward. As the sound of the giant’s chanting filled the room, Yarrow shivered. Is this monster in league with Holda? Yarrow jumped up and knocked an arrow. Well, she should have made sure the best archer in Gavonia wasn’t here. Alright, alright. Elvin is the best, but he’s a jerk. Yarrow scowled briefly at the thought of the lead archer, a man who seemed to have no heart —unless it was for his position. Turning his attention back to the metal giant, Yarrow realized another strangely dressed man had appeared.
    Yarrow moved closer to find out what they were saying. “Thou hast called me, and I hast come. What dost thou wantest with me?” What kind of language is that?
    Yarrow made to raise his bow but paused as a piece of paper floated down before him. It ran:

Boss Event: Lord Castle

Will you participate?

YES                  NO

“Is this a free for all?” Yarrow wondered out loud. A quick glance around the room told him others were receiving the same paper. “Lord Castle? That’s the person who forced the worst regret thing I think… Wait, is that metal giant on Holda’s side? He can’t win.
    Before he could wonder how to select “yes”, the word turned green and the paper disappeared.
    At that moment, shouts filled the chamber. Yarrow looked around and realized a swarm of bugs was hurtling towards the metal man and weirdly dressed dude. Yarrow slung his quiver across his back and started toward the fight. It was then that noticed the giants were holding someone between them.

Holda is a witch in Yarrow’s world (Gavonia)

It will be interesting to see where this fight goes, since no one can die

Live a life filled with wonder

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

Saevus swung his sword downward. Lord Castle managed to deflect the blow, sending it into the ground beside him. He then rolled, leaped back up to his feet, and deflected another blow from Saevus.

On level ground once more, Saevus pressed his attack forward aggressively. He blasted a series of cuts and slices  at Lord Castle, forcing him back slightly. Soon the two lords were fighting on a level of swordplay never seen before. The two warriors seemed evenly matched. Until…

Suddenly an arrow comes flying out of nowhere and lodges itself in a gap on Saevus’ shoulder pad. The chain mail underneath stopped it from penetrating even the slightest…but it did not stop the fury of Saevus that followed.

Dealing Lord castle a blow that sent him reeling backwards, Saevus looked around. He saw a young man with a bow notching an arrow to his bow, which was pointed at Saevus.

Seeing this, Saevus released a blast of magic that sent the archer flying back into the wall. That accomplished, he turned back to Lord Castle once more…

Quick Question: How do we defeat lord castle? I don’t think killing him is really possible, unless we can kill him and then he respawns as something even more powerful…thoughts?

“Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship”

calidris
    @calidris

@ethan-leonard OOOH I HAD AN IDEA!

Umm…so this is a bit gross (actually really gross)…but here’s Val’s plan.

Assuming Lord Castle has pale skin (I think I remember that in the description?), he’s probably made of marble.  Marble is primarily made of calcite, which decomposes on contact with hydrochloric acid (fizzy bubbly reaction).  Well, obviously no-one’s carrying hydrochloric acid in the castle…but you know what has hydrochloric acid?  Stomach acid.  And you know what has ridiculously strong stomach acid (enough to digest bones and neutralize any pathogen)?  Vultures!

So…Abirami could turn into a vulture and vomit on Lord Castle.

*crickets*

Yeah.

He shouldn’t have *too* much of a problem with it, considering that he’s already augmented the creeping ice.

Anyways…XD

@jared-williams
    soo…what do you think?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by calidris.

*laughs as one fey*

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

So…Abirami could turn into a vulture and vomit on Lord Castle. *crickets* Yeah.

Dude I am THERE!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Worst case scenario it is very possible Ehud does in fact have hydrochloric acid on him like in some cleaner I never know what he keeps in his pockets*

😁✌️

But vulture vomit is way cooler!!!!

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,551 through 2,565 (of 2,600 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest